Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1508009 times)

Offline giverbloke a mistletoe snog

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
Re: Atmosphere at Anfield
« Reply #13000 on: September 17, 2022, 08:39:40 am »
as has been said - you're not going to make someone who doesn't usually sing and shout and yelp suddenly sing shout and yelp

it's an individual thing but it's also a generational thing i think too

people have already mentioned the mobile phones thing - i've always found it difficult to sing while holding my phone up as you're concentrating too much on your phone and capturing the moment (both at the game and at concerts)

i know there are the ultras and the megaphones and the drums at other grounds which seem to generate an atmosphere - but one of intimidation rather than one of support

deffo trying to get the yoof involved at an early stage so they can adopt it and carry it forward - but then with the yoof we have that fucking mobile phone thing again

but i admit i also find it hard to sing when i'm anxious for the result of a game or when we're struggling and that's when you need most to sing as a fan so i can be guilty of that but i can't just turn on a switch - i'm more likely to say 'fuckin ell come on lads' than to suddenly clear my throat and break into a falsetto

Quote from: Lee0-3Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline theshirtmyfatherwore

• Main Stander
  • we had dreams and songs to sing.
« Reply #13001 on: September 17, 2022, 11:13:33 am »
Would be great if you could get some atmosphere brewing in the lower anny rd end, especially with the expansion coming. Would hopefully filter throughout the ground and contribute to something much better than what we're currently getting. I think it's long overdue

No chance at all, any road sit down soon as stewards look at them, even with this safe standing in there they choose to sit. Atmosphere is finished at home and itís even creeping into the aways

Offline 77kop05

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13002 on: September 18, 2022, 05:06:31 am »
Agree with the atmosphere take . It really has been pony this season except for brief spells when we score or take the lead. All my tickets being in the Anny by the away lot most probably doesn't help but we seem to be getting drowned out most games.
  It seems the only song that gets going down there is Allez,allez,allez these days. 
 Not sure what the solution is but I suppose the ticket thing is a big factor. Seems to be loads being passed around,going to people willing to pay a small fortune, who turn up for the "atmosphere " standing in silence wondering why it isn't there.

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #13003 on: September 18, 2022, 06:43:11 am »
Agree with the atmosphere take . It really has been pony this season except for brief spells when we score or take the lead. All my tickets being in the Anny by the away lot most probably doesn't help but we seem to be getting drowned out most games.
  It seems the only song that gets going down there is Allez,allez,allez these days. 
 Not sure what the solution is but I suppose the ticket thing is a big factor. Seems to be loads being passed around,going to people willing to pay a small fortune, who turn up for the "atmosphere " standing in silence wondering why it isn't there.

This is killing the atmosphere. Stupid idea being able to add an unlimited F&F and pass to whoever. I want to see the breakdown of tickets being passed on this season. Last season was poor too

Offline Jacob Marley's Coming To Town!

• Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory"......
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #13004 on: September 18, 2022, 08:21:46 am »
So you'd rather the seats remained empty?

Someone with a ticket who can't go, can't go. Either they pass the ticket on or the seat remains empty. At least in the former case there's a possibility that whoever takes the ticket might make some nose [EDIT:]noise.

I've never heard an empty seat sing
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 03:19:06 pm by Ghost Town »
"Football is a nice game without you, but with you itís the best game in the world"
Jurgen Klopp

"Giving absolutely everything doesn't mean you get anything... but itís the only chance to get something
Jurgen Klopp

Online afruitchrimbocake tŁrkiyish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #13005 on: September 18, 2022, 11:21:52 am »
At least in the former case there's a possibility that whoever takes the ticket might make some nose.

Doesn't pass the smell test, that...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

• Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory"......
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #13006 on: September 18, 2022, 03:22:42 pm »
Doesn't pass the smell test, that...
Dunno what happened there. A bogie word got in. Snot good enough. I should be scent to the corner.

I blame the keyboard. I got it from an ol' factory that was closing down.
"Football is a nice game without you, but with you itís the best game in the world"
Jurgen Klopp

"Giving absolutely everything doesn't mean you get anything... but itís the only chance to get something
Jurgen Klopp

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #13007 on: September 18, 2022, 04:58:17 pm »
So you'd rather the seats remained empty?

Someone with a ticket who can't go, can't go. Either they pass the ticket on or the seat remains empty. At least in the former case there's a possibility that whoever takes the ticket might make some nose [EDIT:]noise.

I've never heard an empty seat sing

Iíd rather the ticket be returned back to the club for re-sale. If you're a member, canít go and your seat is empty then you lose the credit. For a STH, if you return so many your ticket goes to the next person on the waiting list. Itís not difficult

Offline davidsteventon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13008 on: September 19, 2022, 08:15:25 am »
I've followed and contributed to this thread for years. I don't go to the game any more so post less and less but do read.
Seems we're now saying it's too many tickets are being passed on.
I think I'd turn that one around and ask why the people who have the ticket (presumably the ones making the atmosphere?) have decided not to go? Must be something that makes them not want to go.

The reality is the atmosphere is good when we are underdogs, up against it, something has us riled or we're on a really good run.

At the moment nobody wants to say it but we're not that great are we. We all deep down know this league has already likely gone. Players and fans.

And that's exactly what I'm seeing from my armchair. I see a team that's played what they believe to be 100% of their ability for a number of seasons now and come away with not a lot because City are literally just 1 point better than us. I think mentally they can't do it again this season. And nor can the fans. And that's what I see on the TV.

Cup games may be different as they build- always a clean slate in them and hope - but sometimes we need to see some glimmer before we all join in and believe it.

League this year unless it builds and builds will likely stay as it is.

I'm full of positivity today me.

Offline Frostymo, laaaaa!

• Lomola... ďThe sky is falling and Iím off to tell the King!...Ē Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #13009 on: September 19, 2022, 08:54:16 am »
I've followed and contributed to this thread for years. I don't go to the game any more so post less and less but do read.
Seems we're now saying it's too many tickets are being passed on.
I think I'd turn that one around and ask why the people who have the ticket (presumably the ones making the atmosphere?) have decided not to go? Must be something that makes them not want to go.

This was more of an issue last season because people were having to self isolate all the time which left them unable to use their match ticket. However, this made tickets more easily attainable whereas people are missing out more in ballots etc this year.

Ultimately it's the culture of season tickets though, especially when tickets at Anfield are a scarce resource. People buy a season ticket but might not be able to make it for all the games. They might be working away for 6 months but they have to buy their season ticket anyway or they'll lose it.

People will always pass tickets on unless every seat is sold on general sale match-by-match basis and even that won't stop touting.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13010 on: September 19, 2022, 05:06:49 pm »
Like davidsteventon, Iíve written quite a bit on this thread over the years and youíve only got to look back to see how itís gone round in circles and just how some of the stuff gets repeated.
There have been some really valid comments on here about why weíve got to this point so Iíd just like to chip in with mine.
Iíd actually go as far as to say that the atmosphere and the Kopís performance have always been nearly as important as the teamís result for me. And that goes back to the 60s and 70s when I first started going to the match.  Having a successful team was only part of our clubís appeal. Being the most famous ďendĒ in football was equally important to me and my mates. Keeping that reputation meant a lot.
  I remember the questions that weíd always ask our other match-going mates after the match if we hadnít been able to go,  was, ďWhat was the Kop like?Ē ďWhat about the Anny Rd?Ē. I realise that as an absent ex-Kopite who lives away and only gets to go once every 5 or 6 years that my opinion probably doesnít count for very much but Iíd like to chip in with my tuppenceworth anyway.
First of all, I think that itís a bit naive to expect the Kop to perform to its full potential early on in the season anyway. The group-stage matches are never really going to excite in the same way as they excite say Celtic and Rangers. With all respect, for these clubs, as massive as they are, games against us or against AC Milan or Real Madrid are always going to be huge games for them even in the group stage.
 For us, these are biggish games, but weíre never going to get as excited for a group game as for a quarter final knock-out tie . Itís the same as the Premier League run-in. You can guarantee that the Kop will be back on the case come, March and April but it canít really get the enthusiasm going for the bread Ďní butter Bournmouth or Fulham Saturday lunch-time kick-offs early season. Weíve basically been spoilt. If youíre out every night with your mates then Saturday nightís nothing special. Same for the match.
Thatís why the Geordies are making all the noise and going overboard on the flag lark at the moment. Itís all new for them. Itís an exciting time. I think weíd be exactly  the same if weíd had something to shout about after years of nothingness. It was the same as Everton and their little cup-final end to the season and fighting off relegation. It really was big stuff for them to get excited about.
Weíve simply put the mark so high that itís hard to get moved by anything if itís not a semi-final or a 6-pointer against City or United. Add to this is the too-cool to sing brigade, plus the ageing Kopites who in my day would have self-exiled to the Kemlyn Rd or the Main Stand and then the social media nightmare with people more interested in their phone screens, and youíve got the recipe for the death of atmosphere.
The ticketing business must be a nightmare too. But there are people who know the situation better than I do whoíll have the answers to that. I reckon my generation were just spoilt. Weíd just turn up to games, huge ones too, and youíd queue and get in or not get in. End of. The atmosphere seemed to just sort itself out. One of the answers is definitely getting more youngsters in the ground and especially in the Kop. Just look at the Boss nights. Give them the chance to get together and they'll create an atmosphere alright.
Iím also an advocate of colour on the Kop. The more flags there are and the more red there is on show the fiercer it looks. I know that it might be considered  heresy or a massive wool comment to even say it, but itís just a fact in my opinion.

Offline Son of Mince Pie on a Plate

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 27 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #13011 on: September 19, 2022, 05:59:57 pm »
^
I can relate to all of that.

Good post in my humble opinion.
Liverpool FC - Local, Regional, National, International and Global. Probably got fans on Mars too.

We've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe...

Offline Sooty89!!!

• Simpleton with a Repressed Replica Top Fetish.
  • Kopite
« Reply #13012 on: September 19, 2022, 06:20:11 pm »
I think part of the problem is we have a high % of people attending their 1st game or who only go a couple of games a season. If you compare us to say Everton or United they have more season ticket holders, therefore more people sitting/standing with people familiar to them so more likely to sing. Iím not suggesting someone going to their 1st game wonít contribute but itís not the same as a group of people who go week in week out in the same area etc. We sell far too many memberships and thereís nowhere near enough season ticket holders in comparison to other clubs. Thereís something not right when Everton have more ST holders but a much smaller ground. In my opinion the club needs to stop selling so many memberships, either cap it each season or a waiting list.
I also agree with what others have said that we are spoilt as a fan base and the crowd struggles to get up for the lesser games

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #13013 on: September 19, 2022, 06:50:20 pm »
I think part of the problem is we have a high % of people attending their 1st game or who only go a couple of games a season. If you compare us to say Everton or United they have more season ticket holders, therefore more people sitting/standing with people familiar to them so more likely to sing. Iím not suggesting someone going to their 1st game wonít contribute but itís not the same as a group of people who go week in week out in the same area etc.
I'm sorry but I just don't buy it, at least, not without clear supporting evidence and as far as I know that study has yet to be done.

I know that plenty of STH do nothing but sit there, never making a sound; grumpy twats who can't see why they personally should make any effort; and I know quite a few non-regulars who add to the atmosphere with gusto whenever they do manage to attend.

It's become accepted wisdom that the problem is purely non-STH/regulars, but without corroborating evidence.

Maybe it's true (well,I know it's not, but for the sake of argument...), but without corroboration I don't think we should just accept it. Not when it creates an us-and-them mentality.

Not your post, but a few others here seem to just be lash-outs in anger; wanting a soft target to blame lack of atmosphere on and so homing in on certain groups that poster happens to disapprove of and blaming them, to the point of all-but-asserting that they'd rather have empty seats.

A solution that involves punishing or outlawing or making life incredibly difficult for certain types of attendees, or which prevents ticket holders from passing on tickets they can't use for cover price, will never improve the atmosphere in the way we would like. They're negative 'solutions'. We need positive, constructive ideas, and ways to apply them meaningfully so that they enthuse the maximum amount of attendees.

Or we need to accept that expecting even a large minorty of 61k to act in concert is just not going to happen as we would like it to. Sometimes it just clicks by some indefinable magic that is in the air at some matches, but making it happen regularly may be beyond us.

The issue about the desirablility of a greater proportion of STH and issues about credits etc are separate matters
Jurgen Klopp

Jurgen Klopp

Offline upthereds1993

• Main Stander
« Reply #13014 on: September 19, 2022, 06:56:55 pm »
I think part of the problem is we have a high % of people attending their 1st game or who only go a couple of games a season. If you compare us to say Everton or United they have more season ticket holders, therefore more people sitting/standing with people familiar to them so more likely to sing.

I think that is one of the biggest reasons. Especially in the league, it's extremely difficult to get sorted next to your mates. Lots of talk of getting groups of young kids in who are up for it. All well and good but the sad fact is that if those kids are all starting on a new members card, they'll probably be settled down with a mortgage and kids themselves by the time they've all built up the credits to have a chance to sit near eachother.

Offline Son of Mince Pie on a Plate

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 27 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #13015 on: September 19, 2022, 08:38:12 pm »
I think part of the problem is we have a high % of people attending their 1st game or who only go a couple of games a season. If you compare us to say Everton or United they have more season ticket holders, therefore more people sitting/standing with people familiar to them so more likely to sing. Iím not suggesting someone going to their 1st game wonít contribute but itís not the same as a group of people who go week in week out in the same area etc. We sell far too many memberships and thereís nowhere near enough season ticket holders in comparison to other clubs. Thereís something not right when Everton have more ST holders but a much smaller ground. In my opinion the club needs to stop selling so many memberships, either cap it each season or a waiting list.
I also agree with what others have said that we are spoilt as a fan base and the crowd struggles to get up for the lesser games

You can't really compare us with Everton. Our situations are totally different. They have a relatively small fanbase that's based in the Merseyside and North Wales areas. Liverpool are local, regional, national, international and global. Everton need to get as many of their fans committed to the season as they can, and they need them to pay upfront. This is why they offer so many season tickets.

Liverpool could sell 53,000 season tickets (many more with a bigger ground) if they so wished, but that then creates even more of a closed shop than there is now. From a business point of view, the club wants and encourages the non regional LFC fan who may only make it to one game a season because it's those who tend to spend most money when they come here.

The main problem is we outgrew our stadium, and are only now trying to address this issue. Even the new ARE will barely scratch the surface.

The reality is, Everton have to try everything to drag people in, whereas Liverpool are turning away a local generation and hundreds of thousands of fans from further afield who'd love to attend.

To get the balance at Anfield right once more, we'd need a capacity big enough to accommodate our local fanbase including its upcoming youth, as well as having room to also accommodate many of those from further afield who come to see us occasionally. To do that, we would need a capacity a hell of a lot bigger than the 61,000 we'll have when the ARE is completed.

Fact is, we outgrew even a 61,000 capacity Anfield a long time ago.
Liverpool FC - Local, Regional, National, International and Global. Probably got fans on Mars too.

We've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe...

Offline 77kop05

• Main Stander
« Reply #13016 on: September 20, 2022, 05:55:59 am »
You can't really compare us with Everton. Our situations are totally different. They have a relatively small fanbase that's based in the Merseyside and North Wales areas. Liverpool are local, regional, national, international and global. Everton need to get as many of their fans committed to the season as they can, and they need them to pay upfront. This is why they offer so many season tickets.

Liverpool could sell 53,000 season tickets (many more with a bigger ground) if they so wished, but that then creates even more of a closed shop than there is now. From a business point of view, the club wants and encourages the non regional LFC fan who may only make it to one game a season because it's those who tend to spend most money when they come here.

The main problem is we outgrew our stadium, and are only now trying to address this issue. Even the new ARE will barely scratch the surface.

The reality is, Everton have to try everything to drag people in, whereas Liverpool are turning away a local generation and hundreds of thousands of fans from further afield who'd love to attend.

To get the balance at Anfield right once more, we'd need a capacity big enough to accommodate our local fanbase including its upcoming youth, as well as having room to also accommodate many of those from further afield who come to see us occasionally. To do that, we would need a capacity a hell of a lot bigger than the 61,000 we'll have when the ARE is completed.

Fact is, we outgrew even a 61,000 capacity Anfield a long time ago.
I guess it's a bit of a balancing act with how far you go on capacity.  It doesn't take too much to start seeing empty seats again when things turn bad . Even when we were at 44,000 capacity or whatever it was through the 90's till Klopp there was periods where the ground wouldn't be full.
  Even now and last season the amount of spares available seems to be high. I'd reckon 61,000 is fair enough,  obviously if we're challenging for most things demand will rise but still reckon a drop off on the pitch will see a big reduction in ticket demand from the fly by night glory hunters and others.

Offline Away in a Manger in a Barney∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13017 on: September 20, 2022, 12:01:45 pm »
Iíd rather the ticket be returned back to the club for re-sale. If you're a member, canít go and your seat is empty then you lose the credit. For a STH, if you return so many your ticket goes to the next person on the waiting list. Itís not difficult

Why would a ticket being bought directly from the club rather than a ticket being bought from a mate that couldn't go make any difference to the atmosphere? If someone is going to contribute, it makes no difference where they get the ticket from.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline pl_kop_1969

• Main Stander
« Reply #13018 on: September 20, 2022, 12:26:18 pm »
I think part of the problem is we have a high % of people attending their 1st game or who only go a couple of games a season.

I'd guess that League Cup tickets probably get moved on most and also are likely to be on sale to members with little history. Leicester in the Carabao last season was one of the best atmospheres I can remember. That makes me doubt the problem is with the people who don't go that often. It needs a trigger unless the game itself is huge, latter stages in Europe etc. Without that trigger, it can be flat and I don't think the number of regulars/newcomers makes too much of a difference.

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #13019 on: September 20, 2022, 03:39:19 pm »
Why would a ticket being bought directly from the club rather than a ticket being bought from a mate that couldn't go make any difference to the atmosphere? If someone is going to contribute, it makes no difference where they get the ticket from.
Exactly. There's no reason for thinkng someone who buys off the club is going to be any better (or worse) than someone who buys off a ticket holder (for cover price, not touts).

Not that it wouldn't be great if the club could come up with a geneuinley efficient and workable ticket exchange system of their own, which is fan focussed, with the aim of genuinely ensuring that tickets go to fans at an affordable price (not touts) and that every seat is filled to help the team along.

I'm sure the technology and IT exists now to achieve this sort of system, if the club had a will to do it.

But until that day (when hell will also freeze over) I see no problem with ticket holders passing on their tickets to another fan at cover price or less. Gaining a ticket that way doesn't make you less likely to contribute to atmosphere. That is a much more of an intrinsic quality. Some people just DO contribute and some people just DON'T. Regardless of whether they are regulars, STH or whatever.
Jurgen Klopp

Jurgen Klopp

• Lomola... ďThe sky is falling and Iím off to tell the King!...Ē Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13020 on: September 20, 2022, 03:54:48 pm »
I guess it's a bit of a balancing act with how far you go on capacity.  It doesn't take too much to start seeing empty seats again when things turn bad . Even when we were at 44,000 capacity or whatever it was through the 90's till Klopp there was periods where the ground wouldn't be full.
  Even now and last season the amount of spares available seems to be high. I'd reckon 61,000 is fair enough,  obviously if we're challenging for most things demand will rise but still reckon a drop off on the pitch will see a big reduction in ticket demand from the fly by night glory hunters and others.

We could sell 80000 season tickets if we had the capacity. That's before the demand for individual matches on general sale.

We've had bad attendances before (often rearranged midweek games) but that was mostly in the Moores/Parry era, and pre-the digital age, where we were run like a corner shop. People wouldn't even know how to get hold of tickets. Online makes it easier.

It's a difficult balancing act with season tickets though because all those fans on waiting lists (or who can't even get on a waiting list) who've not got them are all in the pot with everyone else for general sale.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #13021 on: September 20, 2022, 05:25:30 pm »
Some good contributions from everyone in here.

For me the issue isnīt one of newcomers, regulars or every-now-and-theners. I think most of us agree that we could do entirely without the out-and-out tourists who have clearly paid well over the odds and put a load of money in the hands of a tout (who we could very obviously do without). I mean the stadium is big enough that there should be enough space for a couple of thousand out-and-out tourists to get tickets via the regular route, and I wouldnīt have a problem with it. What I donīt want to see is out-and-out tourists sat up in the £9 L-Postcode section, knowing they have probably paid at least 10-15 times the odds and denied one of the 500 seats in a stadium of 51,000+ set aside for locals. But again, that is the fault of touts, who are most likely local....

Regarding the passing on of tickets, of course it is better they are passed on then the seat simply not sat in. Indeed, if it wasnīt for tickets getting passed on, Iīd go half as much as I do now, because getting tickets through the General Sales is practically a none-starter most of the time (and, as has been noted, almost never for League games). I do think if you have a season ticket, you should be obliged to personally attend a certain number of games, however.

But all that aside, I simply donīt see anyway of changing the atmosphere or getting a new generation on board within the confines of the ticketing system. For most people, and especially potential-young-regulars without connections, ticket sales are basically a closed shop. For me, the only thing that would consistently change the atmosphere and get a whole new generation in, is 10,000+ (let's say the whole Kop) tickets that are set aside to be bought in person and on the day. First come first serve, as it used to be. That way if you rock up with a group of mates, and you are there early enough, you can sit with your mates - and even if you are separated, you are in a stand with likeminded people. Not to mention it would have to be affordable (say £20 a ticket)

However, I also know that simply wonīt happen. Aside from the logistics of it around Anfield, the club arenīt going to want to sacrifice the guaranteed income of pre-bought tickets. Which is why Anfield will only get older and older.

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #13022 on: September 20, 2022, 06:32:21 pm »
Some good contributions from everyone in here.

For me the issue isnīt one of newcomers, regulars or every-now-and-theners. I think most of us agree that we could do entirely without the out-and-out tourists who have clearly paid well over the odds and put a load of money in the hands of a tout (who we could very obviously do without). I mean the stadium is big enough that there should be enough space for a couple of thousand out-and-out tourists to get tickets via the regular route, and I wouldnīt have a problem with it. What I donīt want to see is out-and-out tourists sat up in the £9 L-Postcode section, knowing they have probably paid at least 10-15 times the odds and denied one of the 500 seats in a stadium of 51,000+ set aside for locals. But again, that is the fault of touts, who are most likely local....

Regarding the passing on of tickets, of course it is better they are passed on then the seat simply not sat in. Indeed, if it wasnīt for tickets getting passed on, Iīd go half as much as I do now, because getting tickets through the General Sales is practically a none-starter most of the time (and, as has been noted, almost never for League games). I do think if you have a season ticket, you should be obliged to personally attend a certain number of games, however.

But all that aside, I simply donīt see anyway of changing the atmosphere or getting a new generation on board within the confines of the ticketing system. For most people, and especially potential-young-regulars without connections, ticket sales are basically a closed shop. For me, the only thing that would consistently change the atmosphere and get a whole new generation in, is 10,000+ (let's say the whole Kop) tickets that are set aside to be bought in person and on the day. First come first serve, as it used to be. That way if you rock up with a group of mates, and you are there early enough, you can sit with your mates - and even if you are separated, you are in a stand with likeminded people. Not to mention it would have to be affordable (say £20 a ticket)

However, I also know that simply wonīt happen. Aside from the logistics of it around Anfield, the club arenīt going to want to sacrifice the guaranteed income of pre-bought tickets. Which is why Anfield will only get older and older.
Good post

On your last point, about mates sitting together, which I agree wholeheartedly with, maybe thats someting that can return if safe-standing is reintroduced. i.e for the safe standing sections you dont buy for aparticular seat/spot, but for the section. Then once in there you stand together with your mates. Obviously a strict control on how many tickets are sold for the section, with maybe even another turnstile that counts people in a stops any more entries after the max is reached.
Jurgen Klopp

Jurgen Klopp

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13023 on: October 1, 2022, 07:07:06 pm »
Non-existant.
Morons taking selfies through the game when we're 2 down.
Snapchats. People looking at other scores on their phones.

Absolutely no point. How can we have 35k season ticket holders that go to each game and things be as bad as that today.

Knew it was going to be awful when YNWA didn't even get finished off properly.

Offline John C(hrimbo. Changed by Jimbo. See?)

• Jul Never Bok Alone (at least not until Dec 14th 2022)
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13024 on: October 1, 2022, 08:25:51 pm »
I think a lot of us there gazed up at the developing Anny Rd than down at the footy at times.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13025 on: October 1, 2022, 08:27:00 pm »
Non-existant.
Morons taking selfies through the game when we're 2 down.
Snapchats. People looking at other scores on their phones.

Absolutely no point. How can we have 35k season ticket holders that go to each game and things be as bad as that today.

Knew it was going to be awful when YNWA didn't even get finished off properly.

3pm Saturdays are always like that.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13026 on: October 1, 2022, 08:29:16 pm »
Lower Kenny is usually a crowd of moaning arses but today was off the scale

Offline jack witham

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13027 on: October 1, 2022, 08:46:07 pm »
Was in !07 on the kop today,absolutely dreadful.
I have been watching Liverpool for the best part of 60 years and today was as bad as I can ever remember.
I am sorry to say that with the exception of a couple of hundred at the back of the kop ,nobody is arsed.
Ils like going to a theme park ,everyone wants a selfie,look at me i am at Anfield.
Fucking atrocious,
As someone said they never even finished singing YNWA, what has become of us,it breaks my fucking heart to see it like this.
I am sorry but its gone and we wont get it back.
Form is temporary,Class is permanent.

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13028 on: October 1, 2022, 08:53:55 pm »
3pm Saturdays are always like that.

It's just becoming the norm regardless of KO time now. The people that go and watch are there for "the experience" rather than to support the team and its awful. Don't understand how it can be the case when the majority in the ground are those on 13+ and STHs. Just shows exactly how many tickets are being passed round for christ knows how much.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13029 on: October 1, 2022, 08:54:55 pm »
It's just becoming the norm regardless of KO time now. The people that go and watch are there for "the experience" rather than to support the team and its awful. Don't understand how it can be the case when the majority in the ground are those on 13+ and STHs. Just shows exactly how many tickets are being passed round for christ knows how much.

Probably but 3pm Saturdays are always a bad atmosphere.

See what the Rangers game brings. I think a lot of people are just pissed off, added to the fact they've changed the way tickets are sold.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2022, 09:01:54 pm by Fromola »

Offline ToneLa

• The haiku master. Kills it in transfer windows. Keeps the art alive...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED
« Reply #13030 on: October 1, 2022, 08:59:28 pm »
State of our fans and I couldn't get any tickets

I'd sing in my scarf holding it high even two nil down

Offline LFCJayy

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13031 on: October 1, 2022, 09:02:06 pm »
From personal experience this and many wonít agree but going to any league games is shite. Just full of tourists and glory hunters!

I generally believe that league games now is just for tourists and hardly any scousers especially the young ones, get to go anymore. However cups have been easier for us locals but even now especially champions league games itís getting harder and you can see with the atmosphere.

Can somebody tell me the last time we had a decent atmosphere that wasnít in a game thatís classed as big?
« Last Edit: October 1, 2022, 09:04:08 pm by LFCJayy »

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13032 on: October 1, 2022, 09:30:11 pm »
From personal experience this and many wonít agree but going to any league games is shite. Just full of tourists and glory hunters!

I generally believe that league games now is just for tourists and hardly any scousers especially the young ones, get to go anymore. However cups have been easier for us locals but even now especially champions league games itís getting harder and you can see with the atmosphere.

Can somebody tell me the last time we had a decent atmosphere that wasnít in a game thatís classed as big?

I donít buy into that crap, Iíve had a season ticket on the kop since it was a terrace, and still my favourite atmosphere is the smallest attendance 23,000 against auxerre. I myself am from london and I chant and scream as much as anyone, I have a scouser who sits directly behind me and has done for years and all he ever does is moan and whinge, it doesnít matter where you are from some fans are more vocal than the others.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13033 on: October 1, 2022, 09:40:53 pm »
I donít buy into that crap, Iíve had a season ticket on the kop since it was a terrace, and still my favourite atmosphere is the smallest attendance 23,000 against auxerre. I myself am from london and I chant and scream as much as anyone, I have a scouser who sits directly behind me and has done for years and all he ever does is moan and whinge, it doesnít matter where you are from some fans are more vocal than the others.

Some of the worst are Scouse.  Donít sing, donít wear colours, just moan.  Maybe they should fuck off to the waterfront stadium when it opens, they would be in their element.
We are Loyal Supporters

Online bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shawís reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #13034 on: October 1, 2022, 09:46:25 pm »
Itís been sing when youíre winning or jump on the bandwagon at a big European game for as long as I can remember to be honest

Yes the Ďtouristsí are a drain on the atmopshere, but the blame is equal along with the local season ticket holders actually selling off their tickets and the other locals who just stand their with a face like a slapped arse as mentioned above

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13035 on: October 1, 2022, 09:47:55 pm »
Some of the worst are Scouse.  Donít sing, donít wear colours, just moan.  Maybe they should fuck off to the waterfront stadium when it opens, they would be in their element.

The only point Iím trying to make is the fact it doesnít matter where your from some fans scream their heads off and others sit on their hands and moan non stop.

Online RedBec1993

• Kopite
« Reply #13036 on: October 1, 2022, 09:57:44 pm »
Sat all over Anfield, 306 by far the best Atmosphere by a country mile.

Canít blame the tourists like, sat in the local £9 seats today, lots of tourists taking pictures during the game and locals getting annoyed. But theyíve prob been charged about £100 for a £9 ticket.

Donít think itís right blaming scousers either. The atmosphere is bad when things arenít going our way, as with any club, but we pride ourselves on our home support and itís quite disappointing when you get looked at weird for screaming and singing by a tourist with their camera out.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2022, 10:00:32 pm by RedBec1993 »

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #13037 on: October 1, 2022, 10:07:18 pm »
Does it? Or does it just show that 13+ and STHs are no different from non-STH: i.e some will sing and create atmosphere; most won't. That's the sad state of modern fandom.

I know many don't want to hear it, but I know for a fact that some STHs are among the worst at creating atmosphere; it's almost like they feel they've ponied up and now wish to be entertained without contributing anything further. And they're just as free with their phones as anyone, because phone use isn't just about capturing memories it's about capturing content for their SM and that applies to all types of attendees.

Meanwhile a lot of 'tourists' at least try and make an effort. They might not know all the songs (maybe we can go back to the old days of song sheets?) but they try and make a noise while some of the regular old arses sit there with a cob on.

And then there's all the many who are non-STH and probably non-local but who go regularly. And who contribute as much as possible to the atmosphere because they truly appreciate their good fortune, and understand what a privilege it is to be there, unlike some STH who have forgotten what it's like to have to work to get a ticket.

I'm pretty confident that even if they made the stadium 100% STH the atmosphere would be little different. Then who would people blame?

Obviously I'm playing devil's advocate a bit here; I'm not really intending to trash STH, many of whom are perfectly fine. But I'm trying to underline that poor atmosphere is a modern phenomenon regardless of the source of your ticket and just moaning on about 'tourists' and phones won't solve anything or make the problem better, though like all scapregoating, it might make those doing it feel better.
Jurgen Klopp

Jurgen Klopp

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #13038 on: October 1, 2022, 10:08:50 pm »
Yep
Jurgen Klopp

Jurgen Klopp

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13039 on: October 1, 2022, 10:15:45 pm »
Sat all over Anfield, 306 by far the best Atmosphere by a country mile.

Canít blame the tourists like, sat in the local £9 seats today, lots of tourists taking pictures during the game and locals getting annoyed. But theyíve prob been charged about £100 for a £9 ticket.

Donít think itís right blaming scousers either. The atmosphere is bad when things arenít going our way, as with any club, but we pride ourselves on our home support and itís quite disappointing when you get looked at weird for screaming and singing by a tourist with their camera out.

Mentioned earlier about 23000 at Auxerre which was one of the best atmospheres ever.  There will have been at least 25000 locals in the ground today, so no reason other than apathy for the atrocious atmosphere.  And this is not dissing those who are out of the area who gave it loads today.
We are Loyal Supporters