Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1757350 times)

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
Re: Atmosphere at Anfield
« Reply #12960 on: September 14, 2022, 06:51:50 pm »
https://twitter.com/TheAnfieldRdPen/status/1570060708414357506?s=20&t=UXiULjRLagTaU-ET700Mqw

Someone has set up a group proposing that blocks 125-129 (Lower Anfield Road) should be made a singing section like 304-306 is. They are calling for banners to be flying throughout the match in those blocks as well.

I don´t think its a bad idea at all (although depends what they mean by banners flying - the sightlines from there are shit enough as it is with the overhang - although i guess that isn´t a problem with the expansion)

It has been noticable how much more noise comes from the Anny Road in recent years. Some people take the piss out of it for what they see as Soccer AM "You´re not singing anymore" chants - but at least they´re giving it a go. Especially as it is already geared up for rail-seating/hopefully-one-day-safe-standing. It also seems one of the easier places to get tickets in the ground through the local membership scheme. If the Kop wants to remain the main source of noise then it needs to work for it. I always enjoy the stories on here about the banter that used to fly between the old standing Kop and the Anny Road.

And also I love it when you´re at the game and hear songs emerging from different corners of Anfield simultaneously before everyone settles on one. Makes it feel more frenzied.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #12961 on: September 14, 2022, 07:51:17 pm »
Was real weird last night. Took my new(ish) gf to her first game as my Dad couldn’t come with me so she was in his seat. I’ve been crowing for weeks about European nights at Anfield and it was just shite. No atmosphere. And I’d also been telling her about the experience of YNWA and it was played for 8 seconds on the tanoy then kinda mumbled by a confused crowd at 7:50pm. Weird night for Anfield’s atmosphere.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #12962 on: September 14, 2022, 08:54:06 pm »
the timing seemed off too, i think he might have hit it accidentally and then everyone just continued

Was really early wasn't it, like about ten to 8 or something. We were all looking around like wtf!
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline jack witham

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12963 on: September 14, 2022, 10:22:08 pm »
I was in the Kop last night and have got to say it was very poor around me.
I thought after Napoli defeat everyone would be well up for it.
Loads of Ajax in lower and upper centenary and it will be even worse for Rangers
as I believe they have been buying all the hospitality.
I just think the atmosphere is stale,same old songs and everything is rushed.
Also why do we carry on singing YNWA after its finished,it loses its impact for me.
We definitely need some new songs and some new singers.
Form is temporary,Class is permanent.

Offline Lfcameron7

• Anny Roader
  • Na na na Liverpool, Liverpool na na na
« Reply #12964 on: September 14, 2022, 11:02:41 pm »
https://twitter.com/TheAnfieldRdPen/status/1570060708414357506?s=20&t=UXiULjRLagTaU-ET700Mqw

Someone has set up a group proposing that blocks 125-129 (Lower Anfield Road) should be made a singing section like 304-306 is. They are calling for banners to be flying throughout the match in those blocks as well.

Brilliant idea, hopefully there’s not too many boring old farts against this  ;D

Offline cmccarthy81

• Anny Roader
  • c'mon no.19
« Reply #12965 on: September 14, 2022, 11:33:49 pm »
We were towards back of 208, and can barely speak today - it was v good up there (for early group game especially). Surprising it didn’t translate.

Online ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #12966 on: September 15, 2022, 08:16:20 am »
We were towards back of 208, and can barely speak today - it was v good up there (for early group game especially). Surprising it didn’t translate.

I was in 108 and it was decent around me but not great.

The atmosphere at the Ajax game was probably better than anything in CL last season..it was flat.

YNWA with 10 mins before KO, no one was expecting it. Far too early

No idea what’s going on but it needs to be improved. It’s embarrassing when you’ve got Nunez and Thiago trying to get the crowd going…

Big issues for me - the crowd can’t get going pre kick off as the music is far too loud that you can’t even hear yourself speak

Oh yeah, watching fans leave early to miss that goal/celebration hahaha deserve them right

Will happily switch from the kop to the Annie road if they can get that going…should be dedicated to non passing of tickets. Passing on tickets to F&F is destroying the atmosphere. Loads more children in the kop etc they’re to shy to shout and sing
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 08:22:39 am by ScubaSteve »

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12967 on: September 15, 2022, 09:41:54 am »
Was really early wasn't it, like about ten to 8 or something. We were all looking around like wtf!

Will be related to the queen shuffling off her mortal coil.
No time for caution.

Offline paisley1977

• Legacy Fan
  • Bob an ordinary man of extraordinary greatness.
« Reply #12968 on: September 15, 2022, 10:59:46 am »
Watched the game live on BT and thought the atmosphere was flat considering the importance to get behind the lads.
Then watched again last night on LFC TV it was like a different match. The crowd was so louder and of course the commentary was so much better. Them lot on BT talk for the sake of talking.
I've said this before on here the average age of our fans at the match must be 40+. Watching Rangers last night and the derby a couple of weeks ago their home crowds was made up mostly of youngsters. I really hope the 7,000 extra seats in the Annie Road will go to our younger fans. And I'm speaking as a 67-year-old.
I've been here during the bad times,we finished second once.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #12969 on: September 15, 2022, 11:02:40 am »
Will be related to the queen shuffling off her mortal coil.
aye I think its an early YNWA for poppy day too
YNWA

Online 18 yard line

• Anny Roader
  • Northern Ireland Red!
« Reply #12970 on: September 15, 2022, 11:27:41 am »
I was in Anny Upper above the Ajax fans. They were loud at the beginning but soon faded apart from the drum which was just monotonous. Our fans around me were pretty good actually, and there seemed to be some good pockets of singing in the Main. The Kop seemed quiet though.
Northern Ireland Red!

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12971 on: September 15, 2022, 11:53:56 am »
Also why do we carry on singing YNWA after its finished,it loses its impact for me.

I wish we'd carry on until the players actually come out, but its not going to happen when its played 10 minutes before kick-off!
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12972 on: September 15, 2022, 12:09:00 pm »
Amazing how loud the music is when the actual PA system is shockingly bad. Can barely hear what is being said by Geroge most of the time.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #12973 on: September 15, 2022, 12:12:37 pm »
Watched the game live on BT and thought the atmosphere was flat considering the importance to get behind the lads.
Then watched again last night on LFC TV it was like a different match. The crowd was so louder and of course the commentary was so much better. Them lot on BT talk for the sake of talking.
I've said this before on here the average age of our fans at the match must be 40+. Watching Rangers last night and the derby a couple of weeks ago their home crowds was made up mostly of youngsters. I really hope the 7,000 extra seats in the Annie Road will go to our younger fans. And I'm speaking as a 67-year-old.

Problem is, aside from it being unaffordable, it is generally difficult to get tickets (even with a membership and all the L-Postcode schemes etc), and even once you have tickets you can often be sat away from your mates. Often times you are just chasing after loose tickets from (often older) mates of mates or family who just can´t make it to the match that day for whatever reason. Meaning the pool for tickets decreases to those who know someone who knows someone....

And as the Anfield crowd gets older and older, the culture of going to the match for the younger generation, who can just as easily watch at home or in the pub, starts to fade away. I´d say we´ve probably already missed on one and possibly maybe two whole generations of match going fans in this way.

Whole things shit really. And it won´t ever change until they go back to a having a decent proportion of tickets that you can just rock up and buy on the day. But that is simply never going to happen, no matter how many times we expand the stadium. And perhaps it is already too late for that anyway

Thing is at some point there will come a time in perhaps another ten years when its a commercial imperative to get younger fans into the stadium - but by that time it will be too late for a sufficiently large culture of regular match-going to have developed amongst the younger generations, leaving the club totally reliant on getting in a large and constant enough stream of people who might go once or twice a season (Or once every few years, or once a lifetime...).

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #12974 on: September 15, 2022, 03:53:03 pm »
Problem is, aside from it being unaffordable, it is generally difficult to get tickets (even with a membership and all the L-Postcode schemes etc), and even once you have tickets you can often be sat away from your mates. Often times you are just chasing after loose tickets from (often older) mates of mates or family who just can´t make it to the match that day for whatever reason. Meaning the pool for tickets decreases to those who know someone who knows someone....

And as the Anfield crowd gets older and older, the culture of going to the match for the younger generation, who can just as easily watch at home or in the pub, starts to fade away. I´d say we´ve probably already missed on one and possibly maybe two whole generations of match going fans in this way.

Whole things shit really. And it won´t ever change until they go back to a having a decent proportion of tickets that you can just rock up and buy on the day. But that is simply never going to happen, no matter how many times we expand the stadium. And perhaps it is already too late for that anyway

Thing is at some point there will come a time in perhaps another ten years when its a commercial imperative to get younger fans into the stadium - but by that time it will be too late for a sufficiently large culture of regular match-going to have developed amongst the younger generations, leaving the club totally reliant on getting in a large and constant enough stream of people who might go once or twice a season (Or once every few years, or once a lifetime...).
It's really depressing. I was a regular for 30 years but two things finally finished me off. The first was the increasing difficulty of getting tickets. Even when we were the best team on earth and pulling in 55,000 for big games I always got in. As the years went by, though, it became more and more difficult untill we got to where we are now.

The second issue was the cost. Whereas you'd be there every other week in the past, you'd need to save up and pick the games you wanted to try to get tickets for because regular attendance was simply too costly. As kids, teens and young adults we could get there early and have a good chance of getting in, getting to and from the ground, buying a chippy dinner and a few drinks all without breaking the bank. Now, well you need a mortgage just to do a match or two per season, if you are even lucky enough to find a ticket.

Once you're an adult with commitments, it becomes increasingly harder to justify the outlay, given all the other priorities you have. So, many thousands of Reds are excluded due to cost, availability or both.

We've definitely become victim of our own success too. Too big a fanbase and too small a stadium. We'd easily fill an 80,000 seater for big games at current prices. At sensible prices we'd fill an even bigger stadium than that too. The fans are there, but availability and sensible pricing is not. I'd say a good 95% of the hardcore, match-going Reds I used to go home and away with do not go anymore. For almost all it's due to cost and availability of tickets.

Sadly, we've missed out on at least a generation or two of new, young, fans able to attend regularly. It saddens me, it really does.

My Blue neighbour mentioned a while back about how they have far more season ticket holders than we have. He saw that as something of a bragging rite. Thing is though, they have no demand outstripping supply. Any young local kid who wants a season ticket there can get one for relative peanuts. So their youth can attend, whilst most of ours cannot.

We could sell 54,000 season tickets quite easily, but choose not to. Everton have to virtually give them away to fill the ground and to get the money in early. Our situations are chalk and cheese.

It's different for the Mancs too. From all the evidence on show they've reached their ceiling as far as attendance goes. Their crowds are often a lot lower than the reported figures according to GMP. But their stadium is big enough, whereas ours simply isn't. For their fans, so long as they can afford the prices, availability is pretty good.

One way or another, though, at some point we are going to have to find a way to get our local youth back into the ground regularly.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 03:56:21 pm by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #12975 on: September 15, 2022, 04:30:52 pm »

It's a unique opportunity with the new Anny Road to properly get the noise going there.

The Kop is a bit stale. Too many fans who've had the same season ticket seat since 1994 when they may have been in their 20s or 30s and are now pushing 60, older fellas who would normally have moved to the sides back in the day. Also a lot of tourist types, some of whom will contribute to the atmosphere but for many just want to experience the atmosphere rather than create it. Also a sense of leaving it to the back of the Kop in 306 which is in the worst possible place (i.e. out of sight and sound for most of the ground).

The Main Stand post-refurb and Anny have improved under Klopp. Need to really make the most of the new stand from next season.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Lfcameron7

• Anny Roader
  • Na na na Liverpool, Liverpool na na na
« Reply #12976 on: September 15, 2022, 09:59:49 pm »

Hopefully SOS get behind this… will be interesting to see if they do

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #12977 on: September 15, 2022, 10:45:56 pm »
Atmosphere has been crap for the most part this season, not sure what you can do about it but it's nothing like what the club sells it as.
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline KevLFC

• Doesn't know the offside laws
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12978 on: September 15, 2022, 11:56:54 pm »
It's really depressing. I was a regular for 30 years but two things finally finished me off. The first was the increasing difficulty of getting tickets. Even when we were the best team on earth and pulling in 55,000 for big games I always got in. As the years went by, though, it became more and more difficult untill we got to where we are now.

The second issue was the cost. Whereas you'd be there every other week in the past, you'd need to save up and pick the games you wanted to try to get tickets for because regular attendance was simply too costly. As kids, teens and young adults we could get there early and have a good chance of getting in, getting to and from the ground, buying a chippy dinner and a few drinks all without breaking the bank. Now, well you need a mortgage just to do a match or two per season, if you are even lucky enough to find a ticket.

Once you're an adult with commitments, it becomes increasingly harder to justify the outlay, given all the other priorities you have. So, many thousands of Reds are excluded due to cost, availability or both.

We've definitely become victim of our own success too. Too big a fanbase and too small a stadium. We'd easily fill an 80,000 seater for big games at current prices. At sensible prices we'd fill an even bigger stadium than that too. The fans are there, but availability and sensible pricing is not. I'd say a good 95% of the hardcore, match-going Reds I used to go home and away with do not go anymore. For almost all it's due to cost and availability of tickets.

Sadly, we've missed out on at least a generation or two of new, young, fans able to attend regularly. It saddens me, it really does.

My Blue neighbour mentioned a while back about how they have far more season ticket holders than we have. He saw that as something of a bragging rite. Thing is though, they have no demand outstripping supply. Any young local kid who wants a season ticket there can get one for relative peanuts. So their youth can attend, whilst most of ours cannot.

We could sell 54,000 season tickets quite easily, but choose not to. Everton have to virtually give them away to fill the ground and to get the money in early. Our situations are chalk and cheese.

It's different for the Mancs too. From all the evidence on show they've reached their ceiling as far as attendance goes. Their crowds are often a lot lower than the reported figures according to GMP. But their stadium is big enough, whereas ours simply isn't. For their fans, so long as they can afford the prices, availability is pretty good.

One way or another, though, at some point we are going to have to find a way to get our local youth back into the ground regularly.

There is more youth at cup games, league ones forget it unless they have a season ticket or something. Also the old gits won't last for ever mind! I think the way football is now is not the same in general especially at home, there is more of a scally nature with aways, drink on the bus and sing song and all that and get fired up for the match Also the atmosphere seems better when we were underdogs or coming back up from years of mediocrity, the thrill of the ride.

Offline stonecold_jpm

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12979 on: September 16, 2022, 08:37:05 am »
FSG have had a huge part in it since they came in with the shite ticket prices where it’s dearer in the middle of the side stands and everyone just wants to stay on the Kop now for the cheap seats. That never used to happen, when you got older people naturally moved to the sides, nobody needed to ask it’s just what they did. Now cos of the prices nobody does.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12980 on: September 16, 2022, 08:59:28 am »
Atmosphere has been crap for the most part this season, not sure what you can do about it but it's nothing like what the club sells it as.

It was crap last season until the run in when the season gained real momentum and we were going for all trophies. The crowd generally needs something to spark it. I.e. Arteta's antics on the bench turned a quiet crowd loud. Or the Leicester fans antics in the cup.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #12981 on: September 16, 2022, 04:29:33 pm »
https://www.overyondr.com/howitworks

get this system on the go. Ban phones  ;D
YNWA

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12982 on: September 16, 2022, 04:54:38 pm »
https://www.overyondr.com/howitworks

get this system on the go. Ban phones  ;D

There was a guy sitting near me at the Palace game who spent more time on his phone placing bets and texting people than watching the match. Also, the section in the corner of the Kenny Dalglish by the Annie Road where everyone has a brand new scarf. Seems to be compulsory to have a phone out during the match. I would be happy to be in a phone free zone.

Offline Mogsie

• Boys Pen
« Reply #12983 on: September 16, 2022, 04:55:36 pm »
Does anybody else think this could possibly be related to the huge problem we have with touts?

I have been in every sale this year and have got nothing.  The new ticketing system isnt stopping anything because they still offer QR and bar codes on the fan cards and season tickets.  They need to stop both of these and force NFC only in my opinion.

If they can stop the touting all together you will get real fans in the seats which should improve the atmosphere in Anfield.  There are too many toutted tickets in the hands of day trippers only there for an insta snap, and too many in away fans hands

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #12984 on: September 16, 2022, 10:54:13 pm »
Does anybody else think this could possibly be related to the huge problem we have with touts?

I have been in every sale this year and have got nothing.  The new ticketing system isnt stopping anything because they still offer QR and bar codes on the fan cards and season tickets.  They need to stop both of these and force NFC only in my opinion.

If they can stop the touting all together you will get real fans in the seats which should improve the atmosphere in Anfield.  There are too many toutted tickets in the hands of day trippers only there for an insta snap, and too many in away fans hands
Obviously I'm totally against touts but outside of that there are quite a few problems with this. Firstly NFC won't always work. It often doesn't work on my phone. No reason I can find, it just doesn't.

Secondly it's not just tourists who use sold-on/passed on tickets. Lots of good reds, passionate fans who don't have a ST or regular access in any other way, and who will sing non-stop and contribute to the atmosphere, also have no other way of getting to the game.  I can't see any earthly benefit in preventing those fans from attending the game. Esp, given how many ST holders, locals and regulars just sit there like lemons, quiet as the grave. Having a ST or being local does not automagtically make you a louder or more contributory-to-atmosphere fan. (No offence intended to ST holders, many of whom are amazing).

Thirdly if you made selling on tickets even harder than it is now then if a ST holder or other ticket possessor can't go for some reason and finds it too difficult to sell on/pass on his/her ticket to someone else, that seat will just remain empty. Less people, lesser atmosphere, wasted seat.

The other week for the first time during the Klopp era I found myself with an empty seat next to me and in front of me, too. Not seen that before. It's already much harder to pass on your ticket and so this is the result.

There is an issue with fans not contributing to atmosphere; there's also an issue with tourists being among that group (though not all tourists). I'm not sure what the solution is but the old idea that ST holders or locals are automatically better for atmosphere doesn't hold - assuming it ever did. The world has changed and many of the most passionate and atmosphere-making fans are no longer local or can no longer go to every game or have a ST.

Rather than targetting fans based on their origin or regularity of attendence we need to do something to make as many of those who attend contribute to the atmosphere. I don't how that can be done. The Annie singing section idea mentioned above is a good one. Maybe have them in the other two stands as well.  Schemes that allow young people to access the match regularly and form a lifelong habit of matchgoing might also help. As might safe-standing. Or solutions in which groups of friends can sit/stand together rather than be sit apart.

What about songsheets? I'm not sure about having people conducting the singing but if it helps... a lot of it is about breaking the reserve of many attendees. Maybe some way which encourages the four stands to compete with each other to sing the most and the loudest? With the pride of the stand at stake?

I dunno just thinking aloud.

But I'll reiterate again that I'm totally against touts and touting. I'm only talking about ticket holders passing ther tickets on at face value to ensure that the seat is filled.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12985 on: September 17, 2022, 07:12:45 am »
The best bet now is to capitalise on the new stand and let that make a difference as the new Main Stand did (although it was mostly Klopp).

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #12986 on: September 17, 2022, 08:39:40 am »
as has been said - you're not going to make someone who doesn't usually sing and shout and yelp suddenly sing shout and yelp

it's an individual thing but it's also a generational thing i think too

people have already mentioned the mobile phones thing - i've always found it difficult to sing while holding my phone up as you're concentrating too much on your phone and capturing the moment (both at the game and at concerts)

i know there are the ultras and the megaphones and the drums at other grounds which seem to generate an atmosphere - but one of intimidation rather than one of support

deffo trying to get the yoof involved at an early stage so they can adopt it and carry it forward - but then with the yoof we have that fucking mobile phone thing again

but i admit i also find it hard to sing when i'm anxious for the result of a game or when we're struggling and that's when you need most to sing as a fan so i can be guilty of that but i can't just turn on a switch - i'm more likely to say 'fuckin ell come on lads' than to suddenly clear my throat and break into a falsetto

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline theshirtmyfatherwore

• Main Stander
  • we had dreams and songs to sing.
« Reply #12987 on: September 17, 2022, 11:13:33 am »
Would be great if you could get some atmosphere brewing in the lower anny rd end, especially with the expansion coming. Would hopefully filter throughout the ground and contribute to something much better than what we're currently getting. I think it's long overdue

No chance at all, any road sit down soon as stewards look at them, even with this safe standing in there they choose to sit. Atmosphere is finished at home and it’s even creeping into the aways

Offline 77kop05

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12988 on: September 18, 2022, 05:06:31 am »
Agree with the atmosphere take . It really has been pony this season except for brief spells when we score or take the lead. All my tickets being in the Anny by the away lot most probably doesn't help but we seem to be getting drowned out most games.
  It seems the only song that gets going down there is Allez,allez,allez these days. 
 Not sure what the solution is but I suppose the ticket thing is a big factor. Seems to be loads being passed around,going to people willing to pay a small fortune, who turn up for the "atmosphere " standing in silence wondering why it isn't there.

Online ScubaSteve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12989 on: September 18, 2022, 06:43:11 am »
Agree with the atmosphere take . It really has been pony this season except for brief spells when we score or take the lead. All my tickets being in the Anny by the away lot most probably doesn't help but we seem to be getting drowned out most games.
  It seems the only song that gets going down there is Allez,allez,allez these days. 
 Not sure what the solution is but I suppose the ticket thing is a big factor. Seems to be loads being passed around,going to people willing to pay a small fortune, who turn up for the "atmosphere " standing in silence wondering why it isn't there.

This is killing the atmosphere. Stupid idea being able to add an unlimited F&F and pass to whoever. I want to see the breakdown of tickets being passed on this season. Last season was poor too

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #12990 on: September 18, 2022, 08:21:46 am »
So you'd rather the seats remained empty?

Someone with a ticket who can't go, can't go. Either they pass the ticket on or the seat remains empty. At least in the former case there's a possibility that whoever takes the ticket might make some nose [EDIT:]noise.

I've never heard an empty seat sing
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 03:19:06 pm by Ghost Town »
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #12991 on: September 18, 2022, 11:21:52 am »
At least in the former case there's a possibility that whoever takes the ticket might make some nose.

Doesn't pass the smell test, that...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #12992 on: September 18, 2022, 03:22:42 pm »
Doesn't pass the smell test, that...
Dunno what happened there. A bogie word got in. Snot good enough. I should be scent to the corner.

I blame the keyboard. I got it from an ol' factory that was closing down.

Online ScubaSteve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12993 on: September 18, 2022, 04:58:17 pm »
So you'd rather the seats remained empty?

Someone with a ticket who can't go, can't go. Either they pass the ticket on or the seat remains empty. At least in the former case there's a possibility that whoever takes the ticket might make some nose [EDIT:]noise.

I've never heard an empty seat sing

I’d rather the ticket be returned back to the club for re-sale. If you're a member, can’t go and your seat is empty then you lose the credit. For a STH, if you return so many your ticket goes to the next person on the waiting list. It’s not difficult

Offline davidsteventon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12994 on: September 19, 2022, 08:15:25 am »
I've followed and contributed to this thread for years. I don't go to the game any more so post less and less but do read.
Seems we're now saying it's too many tickets are being passed on.
I think I'd turn that one around and ask why the people who have the ticket (presumably the ones making the atmosphere?) have decided not to go? Must be something that makes them not want to go.

The reality is the atmosphere is good when we are underdogs, up against it, something has us riled or we're on a really good run.

At the moment nobody wants to say it but we're not that great are we. We all deep down know this league has already likely gone. Players and fans.

And that's exactly what I'm seeing from my armchair. I see a team that's played what they believe to be 100% of their ability for a number of seasons now and come away with not a lot because City are literally just 1 point better than us. I think mentally they can't do it again this season. And nor can the fans. And that's what I see on the TV.

Cup games may be different as they build- always a clean slate in them and hope - but sometimes we need to see some glimmer before we all join in and believe it.

League this year unless it builds and builds will likely stay as it is.

I'm full of positivity today me.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12995 on: September 19, 2022, 08:54:16 am »
I've followed and contributed to this thread for years. I don't go to the game any more so post less and less but do read.
Seems we're now saying it's too many tickets are being passed on.
I think I'd turn that one around and ask why the people who have the ticket (presumably the ones making the atmosphere?) have decided not to go? Must be something that makes them not want to go.

This was more of an issue last season because people were having to self isolate all the time which left them unable to use their match ticket. However, this made tickets more easily attainable whereas people are missing out more in ballots etc this year.

Ultimately it's the culture of season tickets though, especially when tickets at Anfield are a scarce resource. People buy a season ticket but might not be able to make it for all the games. They might be working away for 6 months but they have to buy their season ticket anyway or they'll lose it.

People will always pass tickets on unless every seat is sold on general sale match-by-match basis and even that won't stop touting.

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12996 on: September 19, 2022, 05:06:49 pm »
Like davidsteventon, I’ve written quite a bit on this thread over the years and you’ve only got to look back to see how it’s gone round in circles and just how some of the stuff gets repeated.
There have been some really valid comments on here about why we’ve got to this point so I’d just like to chip in with mine.
I’d actually go as far as to say that the atmosphere and the Kop’s performance have always been nearly as important as the team’s result for me. And that goes back to the 60s and 70s when I first started going to the match.  Having a successful team was only part of our club’s appeal. Being the most famous “end” in football was equally important to me and my mates. Keeping that reputation meant a lot.
  I remember the questions that we’d always ask our other match-going mates after the match if we hadn’t been able to go,  was, “What was the Kop like?” “What about the Anny Rd?”. I realise that as an absent ex-Kopite who lives away and only gets to go once every 5 or 6 years that my opinion probably doesn’t count for very much but I’d like to chip in with my tuppenceworth anyway.
First of all, I think that it’s a bit naive to expect the Kop to perform to its full potential early on in the season anyway. The group-stage matches are never really going to excite in the same way as they excite say Celtic and Rangers. With all respect, for these clubs, as massive as they are, games against us or against AC Milan or Real Madrid are always going to be huge games for them even in the group stage.
 For us, these are biggish games, but we’re never going to get as excited for a group game as for a quarter final knock-out tie . It’s the same as the Premier League run-in. You can guarantee that the Kop will be back on the case come, March and April but it can’t really get the enthusiasm going for the bread ‘n’ butter Bournmouth or Fulham Saturday lunch-time kick-offs early season. We’ve basically been spoilt. If you’re out every night with your mates then Saturday night’s nothing special. Same for the match.
That’s why the Geordies are making all the noise and going overboard on the flag lark at the moment. It’s all new for them. It’s an exciting time. I think we’d be exactly  the same if we’d had something to shout about after years of nothingness. It was the same as Everton and their little cup-final end to the season and fighting off relegation. It really was big stuff for them to get excited about.
We’ve simply put the mark so high that it’s hard to get moved by anything if it’s not a semi-final or a 6-pointer against City or United. Add to this is the too-cool to sing brigade, plus the ageing Kopites who in my day would have self-exiled to the Kemlyn Rd or the Main Stand and then the social media nightmare with people more interested in their phone screens, and you’ve got the recipe for the death of atmosphere.
The ticketing business must be a nightmare too. But there are people who know the situation better than I do who’ll have the answers to that. I reckon my generation were just spoilt. We’d just turn up to games, huge ones too, and you’d queue and get in or not get in. End of. The atmosphere seemed to just sort itself out. One of the answers is definitely getting more youngsters in the ground and especially in the Kop. Just look at the Boss nights. Give them the chance to get together and they'll create an atmosphere alright.
I’m also an advocate of colour on the Kop. The more flags there are and the more red there is on show the fiercer it looks. I know that it might be considered  heresy or a massive wool comment to even say it, but it’s just a fact in my opinion.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #12997 on: September 19, 2022, 05:59:57 pm »
^
I can relate to all of that.

Good post in my humble opinion.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Sooty89!!!

• Simpleton with a Repressed Replica Top Fetish.
  • Kopite
« Reply #12998 on: September 19, 2022, 06:20:11 pm »
I think part of the problem is we have a high % of people attending their 1st game or who only go a couple of games a season. If you compare us to say Everton or United they have more season ticket holders, therefore more people sitting/standing with people familiar to them so more likely to sing. I’m not suggesting someone going to their 1st game won’t contribute but it’s not the same as a group of people who go week in week out in the same area etc. We sell far too many memberships and there’s nowhere near enough season ticket holders in comparison to other clubs. There’s something not right when Everton have more ST holders but a much smaller ground. In my opinion the club needs to stop selling so many memberships, either cap it each season or a waiting list.
I also agree with what others have said that we are spoilt as a fan base and the crowd struggles to get up for the lesser games

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #12999 on: September 19, 2022, 06:50:20 pm »
I think part of the problem is we have a high % of people attending their 1st game or who only go a couple of games a season. If you compare us to say Everton or United they have more season ticket holders, therefore more people sitting/standing with people familiar to them so more likely to sing. I’m not suggesting someone going to their 1st game won’t contribute but it’s not the same as a group of people who go week in week out in the same area etc.
I'm sorry but I just don't buy it, at least, not without clear supporting evidence and as far as I know that study has yet to be done.

I know that plenty of STH do nothing but sit there, never making a sound; grumpy twats who can't see why they personally should make any effort; and I know quite a few non-regulars who add to the atmosphere with gusto whenever they do manage to attend.

It's become accepted wisdom that the problem is purely non-STH/regulars, but without corroborating evidence.

Maybe it's true (well,I know it's not, but for the sake of argument...), but without corroboration I don't think we should just accept it. Not when it creates an us-and-them mentality.

Not your post, but a few others here seem to just be lash-outs in anger; wanting a soft target to blame lack of atmosphere on and so homing in on certain groups that poster happens to disapprove of and blaming them, to the point of all-but-asserting that they'd rather have empty seats.

A solution that involves punishing or outlawing or making life incredibly difficult for certain types of attendees, or which prevents ticket holders from passing on tickets they can't use for cover price, will never improve the atmosphere in the way we would like. They're negative 'solutions'. We need positive, constructive ideas, and ways to apply them meaningfully so that they enthuse the maximum amount of attendees.

Or we need to accept that expecting even a large minorty of 61k to act in concert is just not going to happen as we would like it to. Sometimes it just clicks by some indefinable magic that is in the air at some matches, but making it happen regularly may be beyond us.

The issue about the desirablility of a greater proportion of STH and issues about credits etc are separate matters