Author Topic: Triathlons  (Read 32922 times)

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
  • We must all at least Tri
Re: Triathlons
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2014, 09:50:00 pm »
Well I've got my first Tri of the season on Sunday, the Southwell Sprint. I was hoping to do it in around the hour mark but the course has been changed slightly due to major roadworks!! My training hasn't exactly gone brilliantly but I'm still hoping for the hour?? :)

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2014, 07:05:38 pm »
Well what can I say about that then? I completed the Triathlon in 1:03:32 which is 6 mins quicker than the one I did in September! I can't help but feel a little disappointed though!!  :-\ 
My swim time was 9:51!!!  :no which I'm really upset about as I've been getting 8mins in for the 400m & I felt that my swim went quite well. I can't get my head around it yet!!  ???
 The bike I felt was pretty good & averaged 21.4mph over the pretty (to me) hilly course. The run was very hard too as it was 4 laps on grass here & there round the rugby field with lots of switchback turns as they couldn't use the course from last year! It was baking hot today too which didn't help. I've definitely got lots of work to do if I want to break the hour mark!!!   :o

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2014, 07:09:45 pm »
Well what can I say about that then? I completed the Triathlon in 1:03:32 which is 6 mins quicker than the one I did in September! I can't help but feel a little disappointed though!!  :-\ 
My swim time was 9:51!!!  :no which I'm really upset about as I've been getting 8mins in for the 400m & I felt that my swim went quite well. I can't get my head around it yet!!  ???
 The bike I felt was pretty good & averaged 21.4mph over the pretty (to me) hilly course. The run was very hard too as it was 4 laps on grass here & there round the rugby field with lots of switchback turns as they couldn't use the course from last year! It was baking hot today too which didn't help. I've definitely got lots of work to do if I want to break the hour mark!!!   :o
I was just coming in here to ask how you did...everyone thinks they can do better whatever they're doing...I'm impressed with your time mate.

Well done Jay.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2014, 07:45:43 pm »
I was just coming in here to ask how you did...everyone thinks they can do better whatever they're doing...I'm impressed with your time mate.

Well done Jay.
Cheers Dave. I am pretty pleased with the time but I just can't help myself but feel a little disappointed really!!  ???
 I suppose I've got to take it as a kick in the arse really & I'll need to up my training & get some more quality work in? I feel as if I've been 'drifting' slightly in training just lately really! I've got 2 weeks until the Nottm Tri which is an open water sprint, which is a 750m swim! Hopefully I'll redeem myself a little there? I've not got a target time for that one yet!!   ;D

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2014, 11:47:14 pm »
Well yet more misery!!   ;D
Completed my first open water triathlon today at Nottingham which was a 750m open water swim 20k bike 5k run. I did it in 1:13:49.
My swim took  16:33 to do   :o  & let me tell you, that was the closest I've ever come to quitting anything!! The first 300m was brutal for me, it was my first bunch start & the lake was full of weeds that felt like they were grabbing at you all the time, loads of bodies thrashing around next to you, well I started to hyperventilate!! I had to do breast stroke for about 3or4 mins to try & get my head & breathing back to normality, I really did struggle with the swim!!   :(
The bike went as good as I could do really & I averaged 22.3mph which I'm pretty chuffed with!  ;D The run went as good as I could too & I ran it at 6.6min/mile which again I'm very pleased with!!   ;D
I just wish I could have changed my swim??
It's certainly given me food for thought for my next one which is the Dambuster Tri which is an Olympic distance 1500m swim 40k bike 10k run!   :o

Pheeny

« Reply #45 on: June 1, 2014, 12:32:04 pm »
Nice one Jay,the swim sounds dreadful and just shows how hard a Tri actually is.

Offline Adamski7

• Racing snake
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #46 on: June 2, 2014, 11:36:47 am »
Well done mate.

Mass starts take some getting used to.  You have to figure out where abouts you'll be most comfortable in the pack, based on a few things.  a) How confident you are, b) how fast a swimmer you are, c) The course layout.

I try and either start at the back, or in the middle of the pack but out at the sides.  I never go in at the front.  I just end up with people swimming over me and all sorts, and it fucks up my race more than it's worth.

Was it a run-in start? Or an treading water start?  Treading water starts are a little nicer.

Make sure you get acclimatised in the water before the start, you're allowed to do that, even if it's a run-in.  I have a 5 minute pre=swim ritual of making sure my wetsuit is on right and i've bled all the air out of the inside of it.  if i don't do that before competition i'm fucked. 

My first one of the season is just under 3 weeks away.

I've done alot on my swim, still shit, but not as shit as last year.  My bike leg takes care of itself, and if i'm not top 5 in my age group, i'll be disappointed - but i've done fuck all running.  So i'm a little worried about that.

Kind of wish i wasn't doing it as it's getting in the way of my bike racing, but we'll see.  I need to set qualifying times for both London and Liverpool.

Offline Istanbul Therapy Group

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll hear our famous noise
« Reply #47 on: June 6, 2014, 11:30:13 am »
I've signed up for the Liverpool triathlon, 10th August, which will be my first.

Not concerned about the bike and run (although I probably won't feel the same way on the day!)

Really concerned about the swim, I can do about 400m in a pool at present without stopping and the distance is 1500m. Shit!!
He never shows mercy, he would put 6 past your sons school team.

Offline Adamski7

• Racing snake
  • Kopite
« Reply #48 on: June 6, 2014, 02:05:34 pm »
I've signed up for the Liverpool triathlon, 10th August, which will be my first.

Not concerned about the bike and run (although I probably won't feel the same way on the day!)

Really concerned about the swim, I can do about 400m in a pool at present without stopping and the distance is 1500m. Shit!!

I'm doing that too mate.  Let me know your wave number and start time when you get it.

Re:swimming - train in open water before the event.  The first 2 or 3 times you swim in open water you'll hate it - you'll struggle to breath and the wetsuit will feel restrictive.  Once you get used to the wetsuit and water temperature, you'll much much prefer it - as the wetsuit is buoyant - so swimming longer distances is much much easier.

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2014, 06:32:32 pm »

These were my exact thoughts too. I even sat up breaststroking & looking for a way out & quit when I did the Nott'm sprint triathlon which was 'only' a 750m swim!!   :'( :o
The trick is, not to get anywhere near the 'washing machine' ie, stay out wide & further back & swim at your own pace!! Do not go off too fast! I know every book also tells you this, but it is very true!!  ;)

Which sort of brings me round to my post!
I've just completed the Dambuster Triathlon. I was hoping to get a time of around 2:45
Well I smashed it & got a time of 2:32:34!!!   ;D ;D ;D
Well to say I'm happy about that is an understatement!! I was absolutely & massively dreading the swim!! & there was even talk of it being a non wetsuit swim as it was so warm!!  :o  I went to my local lake on the Wed before the event & the temperature was 21.7* & if the temp of the water goes above 22* then it becomes a non wetsuit swim!!  Well I honestly don't think I would have even started the race if that was so as like Adamski says, it is far easier to swim open water with a wetsuit than without, purely for the buoyancy if nothing else!!
Anyway I completed the swim, nonstop & without having to breaststroke & looking to quit!! Because I started off at the side & maybe swam a little bit further but at my own pace & as comfortably as possible!!   ;) 
I swam it in a shade over 29mins which I'm very pleased with.
The bike route is a pretty hilly affair (for me anyway!!) & there is a section that they call the 'Rutland Ripple' bloody 'Himalayan ripple' more like!  :o  I didn't have another gear to go down to on it anyway!!   :D  Well I completed the bike section in just over 1:15 which again I very pleased with!!
Then onto the run which was a out & back course round the Rutland lake. It was a pretty flat course but quite tough as you could see how far you had to go & the other competitors all the way round! I managed to do the run in just over 44mins which again I am very happy with!!
 All in all, it was a beautiful day with a very hard race but also very enjoyable!! I know I'll be back for more!!!!   ;D ;D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: July 2, 2014, 12:05:38 pm »
Bike and run training is going well, did a 30km/ 6km straight after each other on Sunday

I start my open water on Saturday morning, up to about 650 in the pool so my wetsuit arrives tomorrow.

Still worried about the swim though.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2014, 11:00:49 am »
Adam, Whats your experience of anyone using backstroke in the swim element?

I have some conflicting statements, some saying its allowed, other banned due to sighting issues and being misconstrued as being in trouble?

Offline Adamski7

• Racing snake
  • Kopite
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2014, 01:33:45 pm »
Adam, Whats your experience of anyone using backstroke in the swim element?

I have some conflicting statements, some saying its allowed, other banned due to sighting issues and being misconstrued as being in trouble?

It's definitely allowed, but it isn't advised.  The reason it isn't advised is it looks very similar to someone in distress.  But BTF rules do allow it.

My wave is meant to be 7.05 Sunday morning.  Fuck that shit, I'm swapping to the sprint distance at 10.30.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2014, 02:03:16 pm »
Same Wave!

Thanks Mate!

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2014, 09:22:10 pm »
It's definitely allowed, but it isn't advised.  The reason it isn't advised is it looks very similar to someone in distress.  But BTF rules do allow it.

My wave is meant to be 7.05 Sunday morning.  Fuck that shit, I'm swapping to the sprint distance at 10.30.
Backstroke wasn't allowed in the Nott'm tri that I did earlier!

Offline Adamski7

• Racing snake
  • Kopite
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2014, 11:18:21 pm »
Backstroke wasn't allowed in the Nott'm tri that I did earlier!

Yer i think it's down to the discretion of the organisers.  Blenhiem, Cots, London and South Cerney have all allowed it.  MK, Marlow and Eton Dorney haven't (in my experience).

Offline Adamski7

• Racing snake
  • Kopite
« Reply #56 on: August 4, 2014, 10:57:59 am »
2hr39:14 for London Olympic yesterday.

1hr02 mins for the 40km bike leg which had about 350m elevation gain in it (so not pan flat by any means) - which put me within touching distance (4 minutes) of the elites.  My Legs fell off on the run though, and I put a disappointing 50 minute 10km in (usually hit about 48 mins on a triathlon 10km).

Transitions there took about 6 or 7 minutes though, because transition was FUCKING massive. 

I also didn't have a panic attack on the swim - which is always grand  :)
« Last Edit: August 4, 2014, 11:01:22 am by Adamski7 »

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #57 on: August 4, 2014, 05:49:29 pm »
2hr39:14 for London Olympic yesterday.

1hr02 mins for the 40km bike leg which had about 350m elevation gain in it (so not pan flat by any means) - which put me within touching distance (4 minutes) of the elites.  My Legs fell off on the run though, and I put a disappointing 50 minute 10km in (usually hit about 48 mins on a triathlon 10km).

Transitions there took about 6 or 7 minutes though, because transition was FUCKING massive. 

I also didn't have a panic attack on the swim - which is always grand  :)
Well done matey!! Non panic attacks in the swim is always good!!!!!   ;D
You obviously gave it you're all in the bike if you were slower in the run? But I think you're better off having nothing left than to finish 'strong' & wonder what if I biked or ran harder!!  ;)
Triathlons are so bloody hard!! People don't realise just how hard they are when they see the 'Brownlee's' sprinting round like they do!!   :o
It's my local sprint Tri on sunday which I'm hoping to do in under a hour!!  :o but we'll see!!!   ;D

Anyway congrats on your Tri matey    :wave

Offline Adamski7

• Racing snake
  • Kopite
« Reply #58 on: August 4, 2014, 07:28:50 pm »
Well done matey!! Non panic attacks in the swim is always good!!!!!   ;D
You obviously gave it you're all in the bike if you were slower in the run? But I think you're better off having nothing left than to finish 'strong' & wonder what if I biked or ran harder!!  ;)
Triathlons are so bloody hard!! People don't realise just how hard they are when they see the 'Brownlee's' sprinting round like they do!!   :o
It's my local sprint Tri on sunday which I'm hoping to do in under a hour!!  :o but we'll see!!!   ;D

Anyway congrats on your Tri matey    :wave

All i have is the bike to be honest with you mate.  I'm not a very good swimmer at all, and I'm average at running, but i can knock out 40km in an hour on the bike.  Less if it's flat (i think my PB is about 56 minutes.).

The last tri i did (before London) was south cerny.  I paced myself on the bike and did a 1hr10 (very very hilly course though), i think i could've done a 1hr05 if I was pushing.  Anyway, i was still pretty shit on the run - so this time i just said "fuck it" and put everything down on the bike - and it wound up quicker than trying to pace myself.

Liverpool this weekend - another olympic.  Then a bit of a break for about a month until my next one.

Online Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: August 4, 2014, 07:35:16 pm »
I'm doing that too mate.  Let me know your wave number and start time when you get it.

Re:swimming - train in open water before the event.  The first 2 or 3 times you swim in open water you'll hate it - you'll struggle to breath and the wetsuit will feel restrictive.  Once you get used to the wetsuit and water temperature, you'll much much prefer it - as the wetsuit is buoyant - so swimming longer distances is much much easier.

Couldnt agree more.I done the liverpool triathlon in 2009.I went swimming in windermere to get used to it.I Cant advise how important it is to get a well fitted full length wet suit,it will give you a good advantage.

ive not done one since,Im not the best swimmer and done it for charity.But i did strangely enjoy it.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: August 6, 2014, 01:47:59 pm »
Last swim tonight and run tomorrow, then the sheer panic can start.

7.05 sunday morning, shit!

Offline Adamski7

• Racing snake
  • Kopite
« Reply #61 on: August 6, 2014, 07:52:36 pm »

By the way mate, backstroke was banned at London.  It's the first championship tri i've been at where it's not allowed….i'm not sure what the deal will be at Liverpool, but thought i should give you a heads up at least.

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #62 on: August 6, 2014, 11:33:13 pm »

Just hang back a little matey at the start & do breaststoke if you have to!! Do not start off in the washing machine if you're not a strong confident swimmer!!
I hung back at my Dambuster Tri & actually enjoyed the swim & didn't panic at all. So it can be done!!  :wave

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #63 on: August 6, 2014, 11:36:15 pm »
And bloody Hell Adamski, that's some going on the bike matey!!!!   :o :o
That's around 25mph isn't it??  Crikey, I've only just broke the 20mph barrier!!!!   :o
And I'm shite at swimming & not much better on the run!!   >:(
Well done matey!   :wave

Offline Adamski7

• Racing snake
  • Kopite
« Reply #64 on: August 7, 2014, 08:19:35 am »
Just hang back a little matey at the start & do breaststoke if you have to!! Do not start off in the washing machine if you're not a strong confident swimmer!!
I hung back at my Dambuster Tri & actually enjoyed the swim & didn't panic at all. So it can be done!!  :wave

That's the best advice for the swim.

If you can find some space to yourself, the swim will be fine.  I actually enjoyed mine at London.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: August 8, 2014, 12:02:49 pm »
Did 1k in the docks on Wednesday night, mix of front crawl and breaststroke. Feeling a lot more confident about it all now, but not expecting any great time for the swim.

Whats your typical pre race meals Adam, for Sat Lunch, Tea then Sun Breakfast?

Cheers

Offline Adamski7

• Racing snake
  • Kopite
« Reply #66 on: August 9, 2014, 11:39:29 am »
Did 1k in the docks on Wednesday night, mix of front crawl and breaststroke. Feeling a lot more confident about it all now, but not expecting any great time for the swim.

Cheers

Good man!  What time are you going down today to register?  I'm heading down there about 4 i think.

For the 3 days before an event i'll take Nitrate supplements. (Zipvit Nitrate Gels).  Then Saturday is a carb-loading day.  So for breakfast this morning I had brown toast (more complex carbs than white).  For lunch i'll likely have something relatively normal like soup and bread, or a sanwhich - but then for dinner i have a MASSIVE pasta.  Nothing too rich.  A penne pasta with chicken and a tomato based sauce.  Nothing creamy that will curdle in your stomach the next day (baring in mind you'll be starting your tri about 12 hours after you have dinner probably).  Nothing spicy that might upset you.  If there's anything you know doesn't sit well in your stomach (beef is a big one for me) then avoid that.  I'll also have a shit load of spinach with the pasta as well.  Wilted spinach in a pan, with a bit of balsamic vinegar tastes amazing, but is also jam packed full of iron.

Then you're meant to eat 4 hours before your triathlon.

For a 7am start there's one of 2 approaches you can take:

1st option - Go to bed really early, wake up at 3am, eat a carb based breakfast.  You can either have pasta again, or if you can stomach that, have something like peanut butter on toast, with a carb-based drink (Zipvit, SIS etc etc) to boost your intake of carbs.  You won't be able to sleep after this meal, so you'll need to make sure you've slept enough before-hand.  Sleep is just as important as the right food.

2nd option - eat your dinner later, make a carb based shake and leave it next to your bed, go to bed relatively soon after you've eaten.  Set an alarm for 3:30ish, wake up and have your carb based shake, and go back to sleep.  Wake up again at say 5:00 to start getting ready to head out the door and have something quite light for breakfast - a couple of cereal bars or something like that.

The worst feeling, is feeling sick during your tri - especially the swim.  So my biggest bit of advice is don't eat anything that might leave you feeling a little funny.  Also, don't eat anything substantial less than 3-3.5 hours before your tri starts.

Offline Adamski7

• Racing snake
  • Kopite
« Reply #67 on: August 9, 2014, 11:40:20 am »

Cheers

Also - what was the water temp on Wednesday night.

I'm PRAYING they don't make us swim without wetsuits.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: August 9, 2014, 02:24:16 pm »
Thanks Mate, not sure on the temperature, but there was one or two just in tri suits.

The water was quite cold and given the weather we'll be sound.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2014, 02:04:30 pm »
Well, that was wet!

Finished in 3.12.15 so not too happy with the time, but the wind on the bike was awful, really bad on great howard street and made the bike so difficult.

The swim was fine, followed your advice and waited until everyone had gone first before moving, didn't feel stressed at any point and even did about 300m backstroke.

Run was great and felt really comfortable, could have pushed a bit more looking back.

Spilts
Swim 44 mins
T1 4.50
Bike 1.25
T2 5.05 (needed the toilet and had to run around the arena looking for them)
Run 52

Overall loved it and this will not be my last!

How did you go Adam?

Offline Adamski7

• Racing snake
  • Kopite
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2014, 06:38:18 pm »
Well, that was wet!

Finished in 3.12.15 so not too happy with the time, but the wind on the bike was awful, really bad on great howard street and made the bike so difficult.

The swim was fine, followed your advice and waited until everyone had gone first before moving, didn't feel stressed at any point and even did about 300m backstroke.

Run was great and felt really comfortable, could have pushed a bit more looking back.

Spilts
Swim 44 mins
T1 4.50
Bike 1.25
T2 5.05 (needed the toilet and had to run around the arena looking for them)
Run 52

Overall loved it and this will not be my last!

How did you go Adam?

Hey mate,

great to hear that you enjoyed it, and well done on your times.  I'm really pleased to hear you'll do another one.  I was talking to a load of the MerseyTri guys who were on my wave, you should get in touch with them for some training etc - they seem like a great bunch.  I use OxTri when i'm down in oxford.

Unfortunately i had to drop down to the sprint distance at the last minute - i've had trouble with my knee since London last week and there was no-way i could do 10km on it.

I really enjoyed the course.  Probably the best course i've done - just a shame about the weather (and the fact I was only doing a sprint distance).  I was hoping for a sub-30 on the bike, but the wind pushed me just over with a 32:15.

Overall my splits were something like:

Swim 16 mins
Bike 32mins
Run 28 (horrifically slow - I usually run a 5km in about 19-20mins - but i was just glad to finish with the state my knee was in.)

the jellyfish during the swim were FUCKING BOSS!

I watched your wave start, and the pontoon start look a little chaotic.  My friend was doing it as his first as well, and he did the same and held back a bit, but the still got hit a few times, he struggled to find some space.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2014, 05:57:21 pm »
I was thinking about you two on a little scoot out to Wales in Saturday.

We saw a triathalon...the bike leg out of Colwyn Bay....the bike ride was two laps and was over roads we ride on regularly and they're bastard hard.

Out of Old Colwyn on the B 5113 up a climb that used to take me around 30 minutes...and I was super fit then...(abart an hour now  ;D) over to the jct with A 548 and back to Abergele then back to Colwyn Bay...the loop's about 25 miles long and is serious on a road bike....on a TT bike...hell no...there's loads of climbing in the loop..chapeau to the participants.

Anyway..well done to both of you. :wellin  I didn't venture out Sunday...too inclement for me.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2014, 06:49:10 pm »
Hey well done guys!! Doesn't matter what time you post if & as long as you enjoy it!!!   ;D
ITG, you did the right thing in waiting 30secs-1min for the washing machine to calm down, it makes ALL the difference if you're not a strong swimmer!!
That much I found out!!  :o
Adamski, You did the right thing in dropping down to the sprint if you were injured & pretty lucky that they allowed it too as they can sometimes be pretty funny with things like that?

Anyway I did my local pool based sprint Triathlon on Sunday & to say it was wet is a massive understatement!! (I was at my driest in the pool I think!!! :D)
Anyway it eventually got cancelled because of the weather but for those that were already out we were allowed to continue!
Well I managed to get what I was after & beat the hour!!!  I did it in 56:47 which I am absobloodylutely over the moon with!!! I finished 6th overall & my training partner managed to win the ladies section too!!!
AND here's the best bit!!!!!! Because I was the fastest local Triathlete to complete it, I've won an all expenses trip to Frankfurt next year to compete in there Triathlon!!! 
 :champ :champ :champ :champ :shocked  :shocked :scarf :scarf :scarf :lmao :lmao
I do feel sorry for those that couldn't race it because of the weather & for definite I would not have come close!! I would have been happy with a top 20-25 finish!
But I can't help but feel mega happy & my training partner is going too!!!! Bonus
Anyway sorry for going on but things like this do not happen to me & I had to share it with you guys!!   :wave :wave

Offline gramck24

• Tryathlete
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2014, 01:57:26 pm »
I was thinking about you two on a little scoot out to Wales in Saturday.

We saw a triathalon...the bike leg out of Colwyn Bay....the bike ride was two laps and was over roads we ride on regularly and they're bastard hard.

Out of Old Colwyn on the B 5113 up a climb that used to take me around 30 minutes...and I was super fit then...(abart an hour now  ;D) over to the jct with A 548 and back to Abergele then back to Colwyn Bay...the loop's about 25 miles long and is serious on a road bike....on a TT bike...hell no...there's loads of climbing in the loop..chapeau to the participants.

Anyway..well done to both of you. :wellin  I didn't venture out Sunday...too inclement for me.

That would have been the Eirias.

Club member from my Tri club won the mens middle distance race.... which was excellent but he got chicked for the overall win. ;D

Offline gramck24

• Tryathlete
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2014, 01:58:22 pm »
Anyone doing the national relays at Nottingham in little over a weeks time?

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2014, 02:11:37 pm »
That would have been the Eirias.

Club member from my Tri club won the mens middle distance race.... which was excellent but he got chicked for the overall win. ;D
And where were you...bone idle... :P  ;)

Ask him how hard the bike section was,G...and let me know. :wave

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2014, 03:40:57 pm »
Anyone doing the national relays at Nottingham in little over a weeks time?
Yes, I am!!   ;D
I'm racing on the Sunday! What about you?

Offline gramck24

• Tryathlete
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2014, 02:03:39 pm »
And where were you...bone idle... :P  ;)

Ask him how hard the bike section was,G...and let me know. :wave

Sat sunbathing in the Canaries. ;D

Yes, I am!!   ;D
I'm racing on the Sunday! What about you?

Saturday in the mixed.

Offline Adamski7

• Racing snake
  • Kopite
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2014, 11:32:22 am »
Hey well done guys!! Doesn't matter what time you post if & as long as you enjoy it!!!   ;D
ITG, you did the right thing in waiting 30secs-1min for the washing machine to calm down, it makes ALL the difference if you're not a strong swimmer!!
That much I found out!!  :o
Adamski, You did the right thing in dropping down to the sprint if you were injured & pretty lucky that they allowed it too as they can sometimes be pretty funny with things like that?

Anyway I did my local pool based sprint Triathlon on Sunday & to say it was wet is a massive understatement!! (I was at my driest in the pool I think!!! :D)
Anyway it eventually got cancelled because of the weather but for those that were already out we were allowed to continue!
Well I managed to get what I was after & beat the hour!!!  I did it in 56:47 which I am absobloodylutely over the moon with!!! I finished 6th overall & my training partner managed to win the ladies section too!!!
AND here's the best bit!!!!!! Because I was the fastest local Triathlete to complete it, I've won an all expenses trip to Frankfurt next year to compete in there Triathlon!!! 
 :champ :champ :champ :champ :shocked  :shocked :scarf :scarf :scarf :lmao :lmao
I do feel sorry for those that couldn't race it because of the weather & for definite I would not have come close!! I would have been happy with a top 20-25 finish!
But I can't help but feel mega happy & my training partner is going too!!!! Bonus
Anyway sorry for going on but things like this do not happen to me & I had to share it with you guys!!   :wave :wave

Well done mate, that's awesome, enjoy it.

I've never done a pool based sprint.  There's one in ox at the end of August that i might take part in to give it a go.

Offline Adamski7

• Racing snake
  • Kopite
« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2014, 11:33:38 am »
Here's the glory shot from Liverpool - a picture of me on the bike with the Liver Building in the background was about 90% of the reason why i wanted to do the tri. (The other 10% was the jellyfish).