Author Topic: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences  (Read 1233549 times)

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
Re: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences
« Reply #13360 on: September 28, 2022, 03:44:09 am »
I literally haven't a clue about League of Legends. I only knew it's a mobile phone game and that's it. Just finished it, and my overall impression of it is that there is no way this had any right to being anywhere near as good as what it is. In fact, I'm sort of stunned by just how good it was. I can't pick a flaw in it. It's literally one of the best things I've watched in a very long time. I wasn't sure about it after the first two episodes, but it just keeps building and drawing you in with fantastic writing, character development and world building. It deserves awards and a second series or two. After watching Edgerunners and thinking it was the best thing based on a game I've watched, it's quickly been relegated after this. It's set a very high bar.

you're basically echoing almost verbatim what all of us haven't-got-a-clue-about-league-of-legends crowd have said after watching Arcane, like i said earlier and as you reiterate here, there is nothing i can fault, literally, nothing (and that just doesn't happen with me, even for my fav films/shows of all time) - glad you loved it as many (most/all?) of us has, and like you it wasn't something i was waiting to watch, i only picked it up on the recommendation of the guys here  :thumbup

in other news just finished Ted Bundy: Falling for a Killer (2020), it's very good (you know what i mean), i've watched more bundy stuff than i care to recall and there was shit here i wasn't aware of and perspectives i've not seen before. of all the most discussed/notorious serial murderers bundy has always been the most interesting to me, quite unlike most, if not all, the others that fall into a similar degree of notoriety (there are commonalities of course)

if it's your kind of thing, i recommend it
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13361 on: September 28, 2022, 03:52:28 am »
Finished The Old Man the other night, thought it was poor. Amy Brennemans character was pointless, the dialogue was boring and the ending was predictably awful. A waste of a great cast.

I Couldn’t get further than e4. It started so well I thought. And had some great Moments in 2 and 3. I reckon you could get a very good 2 hour movie with a re-edit and a bit of narration from Jeff
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 03:54:08 am by kavah »

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13362 on: September 28, 2022, 08:17:35 am »
[..arcane is good stuff..]

[..yeah, arcane is good stuff..]

Heh, interesting. I'm pretty much as you lot have described - as to how much I know about Arcane/the game/IP already, but I might have to sneak a peek now..

Other stuff. Halfway thru 2nd season of Detectorists, (after being recommended in here), and what a brilliant quirky little show! Can only echo what I've read on here and look forward to the rest of it.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #13363 on: September 28, 2022, 08:19:48 am »
'Am I Being Unreasonable?'......20 mins into the first episode and I'd iust assumed this was going to be yet another of the dysfunctional, 30 something non-comedies that the BBC has been pumping out rather regularly of late.....nope, very wrong on that one ...turned into an absolutely terrific, very noirish comic thriller that completely pulls the rug on you....loved it...hats off to the creators/stars, Daisy May Cooper and Selin Hizli
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 10:24:03 pm by Pistolero »
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #13364 on: September 28, 2022, 09:49:11 pm »
No. I watched a few anime's when I was a kid when they were on at the weekends. Seen the usual Manga stuff like GiTS and Akira. Most of Studio Ghibli stuff too. It's just that this is something based on a game. I know LoL is widely popular as a mobile game, but because its a mobile game, I just never gave a toss about it. Either way, just because a game is popular and gets a cartoon or a live action thing made from it, the vast majority of the times they are absolute wank, and that even includes stuff that has some kind of interesting lore or backstory already built into it. This is a very rare example of literally getting everything right, even if it wasn't based on anything at all. The acting, characters, animation, the world, story, pacing, writing. Everything about it is just spot on. If Disney, Marvel or Pixar had made this, it'd be spoken about as one of their all time masterpieces.

Oh, and that 6 year time frame is something I'd take with a pinch of salt. Yes, it took 6 years to get it off the ground, green lit, production team assembled, all the assets built, storyboards and all that. That's expected for most things in TV. The fact they have all these things in place now and have the world built, all the groundwork basically, it's all in place. It's just a matter of planning all the storyboarding and scenes that goes with the writing. Could be half that time to make it. Maybe even less.

I used to be a big league player and even I didn't expect it to be as good as it was, most fans of the game didn't to be honest. It's pretty much flawless in my eyes and with it being a moba it's not like they had the story fully written for them already, I think them not being restricted and having so much creative freedom definitely helped it turn out so good.
Like you say the vast majority of adaptions from video games are absolute wank, I can't think of any good ones off the top of my head. I'm hopeful for The Last of Us but will have to wait and see.

Yeah, I don't think it's gonna take as long as that for the next season now that they have everything in place, but I don't think it's gonna be a yearly thing either, 2/3 years probably. 

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #13365 on: September 29, 2022, 02:29:48 pm »
you're basically echoing almost verbatim what all of us haven't-got-a-clue-about-league-of-legends crowd have said after watching Arcane, like i said earlier and as you reiterate here, there is nothing i can fault, literally, nothing (and that just doesn't happen with me, even for my fav films/shows of all time) - glad you loved it as many (most/all?) of us has, and like you it wasn't something i was waiting to watch, i only picked it up on the recommendation of the guys here  :thumbup

I'm pretty sure that I'm the only one on here who didn't like it  ;D  The animation is obviously amazing, but I didn't think they did nearly enough with exposition to establish the world. I also didn't really care for the characters. It's been quite a while since I watched it, and the latter complaint is just a matter of personal taste, so I could be totally off. I'm happy enough to leave people alone and let them enjoy what they want without me bitching and ruining it. It's easier to do that with this than it was when all of you were watching and inexplicably enjoying "Suits" - I really struggled to stay quiet over that fucking thing  ;D
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #13366 on: September 29, 2022, 04:24:23 pm »
'Am I Being Unreasonable?'......20 mins into the first episode and I'd iust assumed this was going to be yet another of the dysfunctional, 30 something non-comedies that the BBC has been pumping out rather regularly of late.....nope, very wrong on that one ...turned into an absolutely terrific, very noirish comic thriller that completely pulls the rug on you....loved it...hats off to the creators/stars, Daisy May Cooper and Selin Hizli

My wife and I watched the first episode or two at the weekend. Loved it. As you found, it wasn`t what I expected and my attention was grabbed the moment one of the characters asked "do you think she's a c*nt".
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13367 on: September 29, 2022, 04:41:53 pm »
Inside Man is worth a watch, because anything with both David Tennant and Stanley Tucci is worth a watch. Its good but you do have to suspend your disbelief for the 5-10mins of what happens for the main character to get himself into his predicament. Its a bit silly, but I guess worth it for the setup.

I think I'm kinda tired of the auteur-detective trope but I'm willing to forgive it for Tucci in this case  ;D

Its a lot better than the final season of Sherlock, that's for sure.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #13368 on: September 29, 2022, 04:51:09 pm »
Inside Man is worth a watch, because anything with both David Tennant and Stanley Tucci is worth a watch. Its good but you do have to suspend your disbelief for the 5-10mins of what happens for the main character to get himself into his predicament. Its a bit silly, but I guess worth it for the setup.

I think I'm kinda tired of the auteur-detective trope but I'm willing to forgive it for Tucci in this case  ;D

Its a lot better than the final season of Sherlock, that's for sure.

Has this finished now?

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #13369 on: September 29, 2022, 07:38:36 pm »
My wife and I watched the first episode or two at the weekend. Loved it. As you found, it wasn`t what I expected and my attention was grabbed the moment one of the characters asked "do you think she's a c*nt".

It gets better with every episode mate......enjoy
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #13370 on: September 29, 2022, 09:59:02 pm »
Season 2 of Berlin Station was better than Season 1.

Just finished. Excellent spy drama if you watch it all the way through. Apparently it was cancelled after S3.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13371 on: September 30, 2022, 08:05:10 am »
Just finished. Excellent spy drama if you watch it all the way through. Apparently it was cancelled after S3.

It was pretty good i thought,particularly the 2nd season's plot seemed eerily realistic.

The best and most realistic feeling modern series of the genre by a large margin though for me was Le Bureau des Legendes,highly recommended.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13372 on: September 30, 2022, 08:08:03 am »
Really enjoying the Second series of “Bloodlands” on BBC1

Very surprised to see that finally James Nesbit is actually doing a grand job (and without mentioning Man Utd) as an extremely bent DCI with ties to all sorts of dubious people and factions.

Can’t usually be doing with him but he is bloody good in this.  He is helped by a very decent supporting cast and a really intriguing plot.

Also, maybe as it’s set in Northern Ireland, he’s right in his comfort zone.

It’s a pretty good police procedural as it goes and I’m loving it.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13373 on: September 30, 2022, 09:09:42 am »
Watched the first series of it Pete but haven’t bothered with this one. Did quite like all the moody, scenic shits of misty lakes in the first one.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #13374 on: September 30, 2022, 06:08:28 pm »
The best and most realistic feeling modern series of the genre by a large margin though for me was Le Bureau des Legendes,highly recommended.

Thanks for the recommendation. Not easy to watch here without renting it. But may add another subscription for a month to watch it.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13375 on: September 30, 2022, 06:30:24 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation. Not easy to watch here without renting it. But may add another subscription for a month to watch it.

:thumbup NP mate,hope you like it!

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #13376 on: September 30, 2022, 07:18:03 pm »
Watched the first series of it Pete but haven’t bothered with this one. Did quite like all the moody, scenic shits of misty lakes in the first one.
Scenic shits are my favourite kind of shits.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13377 on: September 30, 2022, 08:15:54 pm »
Scenic shits are my favourite kind of shits.

Haha slightly worried that my phone knows me well enough to assume that’s what I wanted to say. :D

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #13378 on: September 30, 2022, 08:16:26 pm »
Haha slightly worried that my phone knows me well enough to assume that’s what I wanted to say. :D

:lmao
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13379 on: October 1, 2022, 08:36:47 am »
The new series of Stanlet Tucci searching for Italy is on Sunday, BBC2. Only 4 episodes this times but really looking forward to this.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #13380 on: October 2, 2022, 02:00:50 am »
Started War of the Worlds 2019 version

Three seasons of TV. Probably 24 hours or so of TV. I always think it’s weird when reading the book would take less time than watching the TV version.

So far it’s good quality TV but clearly designed to be slow with multiple story lines.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #13381 on: October 2, 2022, 02:25:57 am »
I think The Hobbit is 9 hours of movie but you can probably read it in 6 or 7 hours.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #13382 on: October 2, 2022, 02:01:29 pm »
The Walk-In starting tomorrow on ITV looks promising.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #13383 on: October 2, 2022, 05:40:08 pm »
Started War of the Worlds 2019 version

Three seasons of TV. Probably 24 hours or so of TV. I always think it’s weird when reading the book would take less time than watching the TV version.

So far it’s good quality TV but clearly designed to be slow with multiple story lines.

Stick with it. Very gritty in parts.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13384 on: October 2, 2022, 05:51:21 pm »
Might have found a bit of a gem. The Good Lord Bird. About slavery and abolitionists just before the civil war.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13385 on: October 2, 2022, 06:06:29 pm »
Might have found a bit of a gem. The Good Lord Bird. About slavery and abolitionists just before the civil war.

You should try That Dirty Black Bag next.

Plot Summary
Spoiler
In a town full of bounty hunters, bandits and bloody vendettas, Arthur McCoy is the incorruptible sheriff who’s trying to overcome his troubled past to bring law and order to this new frontier. On the other side of things is Red Bill, an infamous solitary bounty hunter known for decapitating his victims and stuffing their heads into a dirty black bag. When the paths of these two men collide, they both learn that in the wild west, there are no heroes, nobody is invincible, and the predators may become the prey.
[close]
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13386 on: October 2, 2022, 07:03:00 pm »

You should try That Dirty Black Bag next.

Thanks mate. Haven't heard of that, will put it on my list.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13387 on: October 3, 2022, 02:34:20 am »
just finished The Alienist, a couple of years old, only two season worth but each season is a complete story (case) so there's no being canned halfway through shit

period investigative/psychological crime drama with a good solid cast

enjoyed it, would recommend for those into that kind of shit
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #13388 on: October 3, 2022, 08:21:12 pm »
I’m really, really late to this but Yellowstone is so good.

On paper it doesn’t really appeal to me but we have it a go and are now flying through it. Super show!

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #13389 on: October 3, 2022, 09:02:46 pm »

On paper it doesn’t really appeal to me but we have it a go and are now flying through it. Super show!

One of those shows where, if you take it for what it is, the enjoyment is immense.

Plot holes galore, and the Taylor Sheridan ego/libertarian thing gets more than a bit heavy-handed, but some of the characters are absolutely top notch.

Looking forward to season 5 in November...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #13390 on: October 3, 2022, 10:06:01 pm »
Just watched the first episode of The Walk-In on ITV. Hadn’t realised it was based on true events, inc the murder of the MP Jo Cox. Pretty grim stuff but well done. Rest is on ITV hub.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #13391 on: October 3, 2022, 10:17:34 pm »
Stick with it. Very gritty in parts.

Into series 2 now. It’s so edge all the time. Constantly expecting bad things to happen every second. Series 2 does start to get the plot moving a bit. I only hope series 3 has an actual ending and not just that they decided to end it. I liked how they crow barred Gabriel Byrne saying ‘the chances of that are billions to one’, which brought a smile.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #13392 on: October 3, 2022, 10:52:16 pm »
Into series 2 now. It’s so edge all the time. Constantly expecting bad things to happen every second. Series 2 does start to get the plot moving a bit. I only hope series 3 has an actual ending and not just that they decided to end it. I liked how they crow barred Gabriel Byrne saying ‘the chances of that are billions to one’, which brought a smile.

There is an ending and a bit mind bending.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #13393 on: October 4, 2022, 01:31:26 am »
There is an ending and a bit mind bending.

It really is hard work at times. Indiscriminate death and dead bodies constantly.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13394 on: October 4, 2022, 02:13:54 am »
Edgerunners - just binged it (not hard, fucking 25 mins an episode, i hate that shit), really good, always been a fan of cyberpunk since fuck knows (oh the days of Shadowrun on the snes, has it been bettered by any cyberpunk game?)

so the universe (from the game Cyberpunk) is way more up my street than Arcane (i'd call that soft cyberpunk traits) but Arcane is superior in every way

not pissing on edgerunners, loved it, defo would recommend, but not on Arcane's level

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13395 on: October 5, 2022, 08:24:38 am »
Have seen it mentioned in here a few times but the new series of Babylon Berlin is on this Saturday - Sky Atlantic

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13396 on: October 5, 2022, 01:08:13 pm »
The Bear is now on Disney+. Heard it's brilliant but not had a chance to watch it yet.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13397 on: October 5, 2022, 01:18:48 pm »
Any news on when What We Do In The Shadows Season 4 is out in the UK? Usually out by now I think.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #13398 on: October 5, 2022, 01:57:24 pm »
Have seen it mentioned in here a few times but the new series of Babylon Berlin is on this Saturday - Sky Atlantic

Fantastic news. One of the very best shows of the past 10 years.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #13399 on: October 5, 2022, 03:23:53 pm »

Felt the same about it also. Some kind of modern Western was how it looked. Its great couple viewing with my wife.