Author Topic: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences  (Read 1230179 times)

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences
« Reply #13320 on: September 21, 2022, 06:32:29 pm »
I got recommended a show called 'Invincible' from a friend. Was reluctant to give it a watch because it looked like a daft knock off cartoon version of The Boys. Turns out it's actually pretty good, well written, shocking at times, and very entertaining. The last episode is just up there with anything I've ever watched on TV. It's absolutely brutal.

So I gave another anime a go. Castlevania. Again, very entertaining, a bit silly, but then again it's a thing about vampires based on a videogame, but very fun and probably the best thing based on a video game I've seen to date, despite me saying that about the first few episodes of Halo...which invariably turned out to be shit, but ah well.

Keeping with the anime itch, I watched the first 3 episodes of Netflix's Cyberpunk, and again it's just entertaining.

Don't let it put you off because they're cartoons. They're better than a lot of these overrated, expensive TV shows being made today, even though they're still TV shows, and, well, probably expensive. You know what I mean.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 06:34:04 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #13321 on: September 21, 2022, 08:17:52 pm »
Try Attack On Titan next.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #13322 on: September 21, 2022, 09:35:28 pm »
Season 2 of Berlin Station was better than Season 1.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13323 on: September 21, 2022, 09:36:42 pm »
Just watched Deceit on Netflix, originally on Ch4 and still on All 4. 
An excellent dramatisation of the Rachel Nickel murder on Wimbledon common. Really, really good bit of telly.

@Buck Pete.

Cheers for this mate. Just read the reviews for this and it looks really good.

I’m really familiar with the case and seen numerous documentaries about it. But this dramatisation looks something really different.

Will get on it asap

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #13324 on: September 21, 2022, 09:41:06 pm »
Just noticed that a remake of Quantum leap has started to drop may give that a watch at some point I used to like the original series back in the day.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #13325 on: September 22, 2022, 03:34:23 pm »
I'm through about half of the first (and only so far) season of "Kleo" on Netflix. It's excellent. It's about a young East German agent set up by her peers in 1987 who gets out of jail three years later and goes after those who betrayed her. It's like an infinitely more funny "Killing Eve" that makes sense and isn't shit. Really good stuff.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13326 on: September 22, 2022, 05:55:40 pm »
Dahmer on Netflix is better than i thought it was going to be. Written by Ryan Murphy who did all the American Horror Story series and Ratched. I'm dubious of anything Netflix make because of their non existent quality control but this was well done.

If only these gits would do more Mindhunter!
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13327 on: September 22, 2022, 09:51:24 pm »
Thanks to the missus, Just had to sit through possibly the worst BBC drama I’ve ever had the misfortune to watch.

Crossfire

Absolutely fucking horrendous script, plot…everything. Definitely not Keely Hawes finest 3 hours.

Utter garbage. Avoid!!

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13328 on: September 23, 2022, 10:10:18 am »
Parks and Rec is amazing, as good as the US Office IMO, but be warned - season 1 is quite bad although only 6 episodes.

Community - 4 of us who loved the Office and P&R tried for at least 10 episodes but just could not get into this. Barely got 1 laugh in the whole 10 episodes.

In my opinion - Parks and Rec is better than the US Office (and has a way longer peak - the final 3-4 seasons of the US Office are just *awful* unwatchable garbage).  Community, at least the first 3 seasons, was slightly better than Parks, and is just incredibly creative and clever - easily up with Arrested Development (first 3 seasons) as the most imaginative, clever and dense show in American history.  30 Rock, for what it's worth, is also better than the US Office - the Thursday Night 2009-2013 block when all 4 were at their peak was some incredible programming (and for me, the ranking of the shows at their peaks were Community/Parks/30 Rock/Office, although Parks and Community swap places when looking at their full run, as well as depending on my mood).

The Good Place is another brilliant show I always recommend - made by Michael Schur (Office/Parks/Brooklyn 99), very clever, shortish run for an American sitcom.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13329 on: September 23, 2022, 10:17:33 am »
Recently, taking a break from my PS5 to catch up on TV (put 160 hours into AC: Valhalla, so wanted a break lol) - binged the Orville (went in sceptical, as I really don't like Seth Mcfarlane, but ended  up loving it), Star Trek Lower Decks (my favourite Star Trek ever maybe); as well as enjoying She-Hulk (really enjoying it, and I love Jameela Jalil) and the third season or Never Have I Ever.  Also have watched the first 2 episodes of  Only Murders ... (hasn't really gripped me yet, but will probably give it another episode or 2 as I know lots like it) and the first episode of Andor (will mention more on the Star wars thread)

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13330 on: September 23, 2022, 01:50:28 pm »
I got recommended a show called 'Invincible' from a friend. Was reluctant to give it a watch because it looked like a daft knock off cartoon version of The Boys. Turns out it's actually pretty good, well written, shocking at times, and very entertaining. The last episode is just up there with anything I've ever watched on TV. It's absolutely brutal.

So I gave another anime a go. Castlevania. Again, very entertaining, a bit silly, but then again it's a thing about vampires based on a videogame, but very fun and probably the best thing based on a video game I've seen to date, despite me saying that about the first few episodes of Halo...which invariably turned out to be shit, but ah well.

Keeping with the anime itch, I watched the first 3 episodes of Netflix's Cyberpunk, and again it's just entertaining.

Don't let it put you off because they're cartoons. They're better than a lot of these overrated, expensive TV shows being made today, even though they're still TV shows, and, well, probably expensive. You know what I mean.

Invincible is really good yeah. I don't watch other animated drama shows but I'd recommend anyone watch this. Apparently Season 2 has finished all the voice work and they are already working on Season 3.

Apparently there's a series based on League of Legends (a big game) which is also really good.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #13331 on: September 23, 2022, 02:19:34 pm »
Just noticed that a remake of Quantum leap has started to drop may give that a watch at some point I used to like the original series back in the day.

I made it through 5 mins before switching off :/

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13332 on: September 23, 2022, 11:27:59 pm »
Invincible is really good yeah. I don't watch other animated drama shows but I'd recommend anyone watch this. Apparently Season 2 has finished all the voice work and they are already working on Season 3.

Apparently there's a series based on League of Legends (a big game) which is also really good.
Good to know it's getting a second series. Thought it was excellent. Some great characters and really well written.

Edgerunners is equally amazing, but for different reasons. The style and artwork of it is second to none. Great soundtrack too. I haven't watched many anime's, but it's arguably up there with Ghost in the Shell. It's just that well done. I can't see that getting a second series, but I honestly prefer that it didn't.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #13333 on: September 24, 2022, 07:25:41 am »
yes Invincible was very good, more adult tone than typical for cartoon superheroes and exceedingly brutal lol

if you're trying out anime, seriously, check out Arcane, blew me away and I watch a fair bit of anime, i can't fault it at all (fucking rare for me)

i've just ripped through Terminal List cos i couldn't find anything to binge and thought fuck it

not the kind of show i'd normally bother with but was good, pratt is excellent and the rest of the cast is strong, it's not without fault but for those that like that kind of thing, worth a blast

now i just have to find something fucking else i can binge, i'll be down to vikings at this rate (my mate keeps banging on about it but after watching the first episode when it first came out, i literally said out loud 'i can't watch this shit' due to the terrible acting)

Dahmer on Netflix is better than i thought it was going to be. Written by Ryan Murphy who did all the American Horror Story series and Ratched. I'm dubious of anything Netflix make because of their non existent quality control but this was well done.

If only these gits would do more Mindhunter!

seconded on the Mindhunter front, can't believe they canned it

tho i think i've found my next binge, Dahmer it is
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 07:30:37 am by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #13334 on: September 24, 2022, 12:52:04 pm »
To be fair to Netflix I'm not entirely sure it was them who stopped Mindhunter, I always read that it was Fincher looking to do over things. A terrible decision IMO, he's obviously more interested in films, fair enough to him like but Mindhunter was special, both seasons. Doesn't make it any easier to accept considering (I personally) haven't cared for his last couple of films.

Get back to work you fucker  :wanker
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #13335 on: September 24, 2022, 08:58:17 pm »
if you're trying out anime, seriously, check out Arcane, blew me away and I watch a fair bit of anime, i can't fault it at all (fucking rare for me)

Arcane was brilliant, I didn't expect it to be anywhere near that good. The only problem with it is that it took 6 years to make so we could be waiting a while for season 2.

Another animated show that's currently airing is Pantheon which has been great so far.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #13336 on: September 24, 2022, 09:30:33 pm »
Quite enjoying Welcome to Wrexham, in no small part due to willingness of Reynolds and McElhenney to relentlessly take the piss out of themselves and each other.

But we've only seen the first nine episodes of season 1, and it's been completely negative. Nothing good happening on the playing side at all.

Thank goodness the two owners are funny, because everything else is profoundly grim to date... :D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #13337 on: September 24, 2022, 10:19:11 pm »
Anyone watched Industry?  I’m about 5 episodes into series 1 - not sure what to make of it yet.  Lots of tits and cock, mind.   :D

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13338 on: September 24, 2022, 11:19:01 pm »
Arcane it is.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13339 on: September 25, 2022, 02:46:44 pm »
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13340 on: September 25, 2022, 02:50:48 pm »
Anyone watched Industry?  I’m about 5 episodes into series 1 - not sure what to make of it yet.  Lots of tits and cock, mind.   :D

I just binged both seasons. I really love "Succession," which similarly deals with inherently unlikeable twats in an inherently unlikeable industry. But it seems like that show has a point. I couldn't put my finger on exactly what the point of it is without going back and taking notes while I re-watch it, because my memory is dogshit, but I think mostly it has to do with the Shakespearean depths of its themes. For me, "Industry" lacks those same depths, or they are there and I don't care to see them, or they aren't established clearly enough. Either way, while I think "Industry" is very well-made, I also find myself asking quite often "What is the point of this?" I'm happy to keep watching it, but I wouldn't be bothered if I missed the rest of it. It just leaves me pretty empty. It feels like tits and cocks and blow for tits' and cocks' and blow's sake.

And for whatever reason, both of the Duplass brothers bug the shit out of me - I think they are awful actors. So it doesn't help having one of them around in this.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13341 on: September 26, 2022, 12:06:18 am »
well i just finished Dahmer (i thought it was going to be a doc not a bio drama)

that was a hard watch and a bit of a slog, not for reasons one might imagine

it was tedious almost throughout

now whether that's the subject matter, you know art imitating life, in that i've always viewed dahmer as a tedious dullard really

that tedious nature was certainly conveyed in the show, i dont know if it was meant or not, i can't criticise the cast, main dude and his dad are played well esp

but yeah, maybe it's just that the subject matter is a very tedious man
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 02:51:21 am by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #13342 on: September 26, 2022, 10:15:34 am »
I just binged both seasons. I really love "Succession," which similarly deals with inherently unlikeable twats in an inherently unlikeable industry. But it seems like that show has a point. I couldn't put my finger on exactly what the point of it is without going back and taking notes while I re-watch it, because my memory is dogshit, but I think mostly it has to do with the Shakespearean depths of its themes. For me, "Industry" lacks those same depths, or they are there and I don't care to see them, or they aren't established clearly enough. Either way, while I think "Industry" is very well-made, I also find myself asking quite often "What is the point of this?" I'm happy to keep watching it, but I wouldn't be bothered if I missed the rest of it. It just leaves me pretty empty. It feels like tits and cocks and blow for tits' and cocks' and blow's sake.

And for whatever reason, both of the Duplass brothers bug the shit out of me - I think they are awful actors. So it doesn't help having one of them around in this.
I didn’t realise there was a 2nd series already - I can only find series 1 on iPlayer. 

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13343 on: September 26, 2022, 04:55:40 pm »
I didn’t realise there was a 2nd series already - I can only find series 1 on iPlayer.

I watched it on HBO, and it just finished showing the second season last week, so it should be coming to you soon.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #13344 on: September 26, 2022, 09:54:42 pm »
The last of us tv series

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/S7vJnEp2ckM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/S7vJnEp2ckM</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13345 on: September 26, 2022, 09:59:50 pm »
The last of us tv series

Looks really close to the game. I find the two actors a bit jarring compared to how the characters look, but it's one of those things I'll probably move past by the end of the first episode.

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13346 on: September 26, 2022, 10:18:01 pm »
Think Pascal might work as Joel we'll see,the chemistry and the relationship between the two leads is paramount though,their story really needs to feel moving to audiences to make it good not so much the CGI.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #13347 on: September 26, 2022, 10:38:36 pm »
Just watched the first episode of Inside Man on BBC 1. It's in the top 4 of everything I have seen this year on a screen. Get yourself in to BBC iPlayer and watch it.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #13348 on: September 26, 2022, 10:58:08 pm »
Think Pascal might work as Joel we'll see,the chemistry and the relationship between the two leads is paramount though,their story really needs to feel moving to audiences to make it good not so much the CGI.

Yeah Pedro is brilliant, I think he'll make a great Joel. I wonder if it will cover the first game fully.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13349 on: September 27, 2022, 02:55:44 am »
Pascal looks fine for Joel, but I think the girl is miscast. At least on appearance. Max from Stranger Things would have been perfect casting.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13350 on: September 27, 2022, 07:05:58 am »
good call

tho in fairness to the actress cast, we'll see how she does but as mentioned earlier, bit jarring visually

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #13351 on: September 27, 2022, 11:52:27 am »
The whole thing is a bit jarring visually, kind of expected given it's an adaptation of game that was trying to be a film. Looks good though, baller cast and the 'Badass and Child duo' trope should work a treat if the chemistry is there.

Online Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13352 on: September 27, 2022, 03:45:57 pm »
Finished The Old Man the other night, thought it was poor. Amy Brennemans character was pointless, the dialogue was boring and the ending was predictably awful. A waste of a great cast.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13353 on: September 27, 2022, 05:45:42 pm »
sounds epic lol

one to swerve in my ever diminishing sphere of what to binge (serial killer docs atm - the last two have highlighted how shit the cops were, dahmer and gacey, equally appalling police work for different reasons)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #13354 on: September 27, 2022, 07:18:11 pm »
Just watched the first episode of Inside Man on BBC 1. It's in the top 4 of everything I have seen this year on a screen. Get yourself in to BBC iPlayer and watch it.

Just watched it, real Sherlock vibes, which makes sense considering the writer.  Pretty preposterous stuff but good performances and it was a really fun first episode.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13355 on: September 27, 2022, 08:51:55 pm »
Quite enjoying Welcome to Wrexham, in no small part due to willingness of Reynolds and McElhenney to relentlessly take the piss out of themselves and each other.

But we've only seen the first nine episodes of season 1, and it's been completely negative. Nothing good happening on the playing side at all.

Thank goodness the two owners are funny, because everything else is profoundly grim to date... :D

This ie a gem of a show. Me and the Wife are loving it. Short episodes so easily box them off.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13356 on: September 27, 2022, 10:48:06 pm »
Thanks to the missus, Just had to sit through possibly the worst BBC drama I’ve ever had the misfortune to watch.

Crossfire

Absolutely fucking horrendous script, plot…everything. Definitely not Keely Hawes finest 3 hours.

Utter garbage. Avoid!!

Just saw a trailer for it and think I’ve stayed at that hotel. :D

Not worth a watch then?

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13357 on: September 28, 2022, 01:38:53 am »
It's very good.
I literally haven't a clue about League of Legends. I only knew it's a mobile phone game and that's it. Just finished it, and my overall impression of it is that there is no way this had any right to being anywhere near as good as what it is. In fact, I'm sort of stunned by just how good it was. I can't pick a flaw in it. It's literally one of the best things I've watched in a very long time. I wasn't sure about it after the first two episodes, but it just keeps building and drawing you in with fantastic writing, character development and world building. It deserves awards and a second series or two. After watching Edgerunners and thinking it was the best thing based on a game I've watched, it's quickly been relegated after this. It's set a very high bar.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #13358 on: September 28, 2022, 02:03:33 am »

It deserves awards and a second series

There is a second series in production but with the first one taking 6 years to make we could be waiting a long time for it. Were they the first animated shows you’ve watched?

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13359 on: September 28, 2022, 03:26:20 am »
There is a second series in production but with the first one taking 6 years to make we could be waiting a long time for it. Were they the first animated shows you’ve watched?
No. I watched a few anime's when I was a kid when they were on at the weekends. Seen the usual Manga stuff like GiTS and Akira. Most of Studio Ghibli stuff too. It's just that this is something based on a game. I know LoL is widely popular as a mobile game, but because its a mobile game, I just never gave a toss about it. Either way, just because a game is popular and gets a cartoon or a live action thing made from it, the vast majority of the times they are absolute wank, and that even includes stuff that has some kind of interesting lore or backstory already built into it. This is a very rare example of literally getting everything right, even if it wasn't based on anything at all. The acting, characters, animation, the world, story, pacing, writing. Everything about it is just spot on. If Disney, Marvel or Pixar had made this, it'd be spoken about as one of their all time masterpieces.

Oh, and that 6 year time frame is something I'd take with a pinch of salt. Yes, it took 6 years to get it off the ground, green lit, production team assembled, all the assets built, storyboards and all that. That's expected for most things in TV. The fact they have all these things in place now and have the world built, all the groundwork basically, it's all in place. It's just a matter of planning all the storyboarding and scenes that goes with the writing. Could be half that time to make it. Maybe even less.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 03:30:30 am by Macphisto80 »