Author Topic: Spirit of Shankly  (Read 81905 times)

Offline eoa106

• Kopite
    • East of Anfield
Re: Spirit of Shankly Branches
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2010, 02:36:33 pm »
I've got no problem with that - it's not a case of competing branches - I was swapping e-mails with Chris yesterday, and he seemed adamant it was going to be in Sutton.

Chris's registration on this forum is pending, so he can't currently post here. However, he just emailed me and asked me to point out that the intention in the first instance is for one single London branch with meetings in central London.
East of Anfield - Proud Territory of the People's Republic of Liverpool!

Offline Joe_Singh

• Legacy Fan
  • My idea is always to win trophies, not just games
    • Joe Singh
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2010, 02:54:41 pm »
Who do I contact to get involved in the birmingham one?
What I love about this, and several other of Kenny's press conferences, is that he manages to say something to the effect of  'Shut the fuck up, you fucking helmets and don't fuck with me or my football club or I'll make you eat your own balls', without actually using th

Offline HelterSkelter3

• Main Stander
    • http://helterskelter33.deviantart.com/
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2010, 07:02:24 pm »
contact here mate

you may get some pointers off our overseas man

overseas@spiritofshankly.com

Thanks mate!

Offline dansdirtydagger

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2010, 07:23:41 pm »
very interested in getting involved in the dublin  branch whoever is organizing it could u send me a message thanks, also me and a mate are heading over for the 4th of july maybe we  can organize a group to go over

Offline RotoruaRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2010, 09:10:30 pm »
If a branch is set up overseas..........and it will happen here in the next few weeks. But playing sort of devils advocate here and thinking of a few questions I am sure will be asked

Are the funds for overseas members held in the credit union in the UK or at a local agency?

If in the UK i assume some form of non-resident with-holding tax will apply. To me a non-issue really but it sort of dilutes the saving. For me the interest is not the issue.

If the savings are held in our name and at the right time the money is taken and a portion of the club (or all) purchased are the are the shares thay we then have a sellable asset in the future or is it seen more as a gift/donation to protect the club. I feel sure I have seen it somewhere but have looked and can't seem to find these answers

For overseas branches the concerns are not the same as sadly we are not match going supporters, therefore some of the issues, concerns and strategies are of little interest. I will admit my main area of interest is in a purchase of the club by a supporters group. Other activities with the SOS sphere would be of more pressing interest to locals and should be addressed by them accordingly

Offline marko

• Main Stander
  • Prince amongst full-backs
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2010, 10:15:21 pm »
I'd be interested to set one up for Finland  :wave

could everyone interested in being part of the finnish branch PM me please!

For instance, if I were to quote actual speech where  I was relating a conversation, it would be correct to type (for instance) "Marko you are a c*nt"

Offline EmlynHCrazyhorse

• Kemlynite
  • I'm so bored with the U.S.A.
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2010, 10:21:33 pm »
 I'd be perfectly happy to become involved in setting up a branch in Wolverhampton, which hopefully could include the rest of the Black Country.
There are a fair number of reds who travel to most of the games from the Midlands and I'm fairly confidant we could get something up and running.
However, if a branch is to be set up in Birmingham I'm happy to persuade members and non members of S.O.S to become affiliated to that branch. At least it will keep the numbers up. Basically anything that needs to be done to save our club i'm happy to go along with.
"Thank you Jimmy McGovern for reminding me of what lives on. S.Y.M.M." JFT96

Offline rtdh

• "Just call me daddy!"
  • Main Stander
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2010, 10:27:48 pm »
how about anyone in the East Midlands mind you i can get to Coventry in a hour from here in Nottingham!

Ok, sounds good Geoff, given the distance you would need to travel could you attend most West Mids meetings ?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 10:44:31 pm by rtdh »

Offline rtdh

• "Just call me daddy!"
  • Main Stander
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2010, 10:31:03 pm »
I'd be perfectly happy to become involved in setting up a branch in Wolverhampton, which hopefully could include the rest of the Black Country.
There are a fair number of reds who travel to most of the games from the Midlands and I'm fairly confidant we could get something up and running.
However, if a branch is to be set up in Birmingham I'm happy to persuade members and non members of S.O.S to become affiliated to that branch. At least it will keep the numbers up. Basically anything that needs to be done to save our club i'm happy to go along with.

Crazy Horse - am talking to the potential chair of the Birmingham branch to discuss the breadth of that organisation - I am trying to set up a branch for the Warwick/Coventry area but this may be part of a wider Midlands group if numbers are insufficient in each local midlands area. Will keep you posted mate

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2010, 10:34:00 pm »
If a branch is set up overseas..........and it will happen here in the next few weeks. But playing sort of devils advocate here and thinking of a few questions I am sure will be asked

Are the funds for overseas members held in the credit union in the UK or at a local agency?

If in the UK i assume some form of non-resident with-holding tax will apply. To me a non-issue really but it sort of dilutes the saving. For me the interest is not the issue.

If the savings are held in our name and at the right time the money is taken and a portion of the club (or all) purchased are the are the shares thay we then have a sellable asset in the future or is it seen more as a gift/donation to protect the club. I feel sure I have seen it somewhere but have looked and can't seem to find these answers

For overseas branches the concerns are not the same as sadly we are not match going supporters, therefore some of the issues, concerns and strategies are of little interest. I will admit my main area of interest is in a purchase of the club by a supporters group. Other activities with the SOS sphere would be of more pressing interest to locals and should be addressed by them accordingly

Email me.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline rtdh

• "Just call me daddy!"
  • Main Stander
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2010, 10:34:23 pm »
Who do I contact to get involved in the birmingham one?

Don't think that branch is set up yet, but can give you the email of the person who is trying to get this off the ground. PM me.

Offline rtdh

• "Just call me daddy!"
  • Main Stander
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2010, 10:41:11 pm »
We'll use modern technology (email, website, conferencing when necessary). The aim is empowerment so local peole set up and manage their branch.

The Union can support through materials, involvement and visits.

I'd like SoS and all affiliated branches to use linkedin.com (business facebook) to expand its interests. Sure you are aware of the potential of social media for our cause.

Offline EmlynHCrazyhorse

• Kemlynite
  • I'm so bored with the U.S.A.
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2010, 10:50:39 pm »
Crazy Horse - am talking to the potential chair of the Birmingham branch to discuss the breadth of that organisation - I am trying to set up a branch for the Warwick/Coventry area but this may be part of a wider Midlands group if numbers are insufficient in each local midlands area. Will keep you posted mate

Excellent. Both me and the Missus reckon we can get a good number of people involved from the wider area including people we've known and travelled with for over 20 years to those who have recently come aboard the good ship LFC.
Whatever it takes to get our club back.
Hope to see you July 4th in Liverpool
"Thank you Jimmy McGovern for reminding me of what lives on. S.Y.M.M." JFT96

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2010, 11:14:02 pm »
Ok, sounds good Geoff, given the distance you would need to travel could you attend most West Mids meetings ?

possibly if cov, obviously if we have fans from derby, leicester we could set up a east midlands branch, would be easier but if not yes wherever is nearest! Got coach loads leave here for the games surely some of those are SOS guys?
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Fester19

• Main Stander
« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2010, 11:35:52 pm »

UPDATE - London branch

I believe, that the lads trying to get something up and running in Outer London have agreed to start off with 1 London branch and take it from there.

We are going to have an inaugural meeting (I've got a pub "function room" near Liverpool Street that can hold at least 50), that Graham Smith will come down and chair, so we're waiting on his availability - watch this space.

MODS - can I start a separate SOS London branch thread in due course ?

Offline rtdh

• "Just call me daddy!"
  • Main Stander
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2010, 11:45:46 pm »
possibly if cov, obviously if we have fans from derby, leicester we could set up a east midlands branch, would be easier but if not yes wherever is nearest! Got coach loads leave here for the games surely some of those are SOS guys?

Ok, hopefully the picture will become a bit clearer in the coming days and weeks (hopefully days)

Offline FermanaghRed

• Kemlynite
« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2010, 12:05:36 am »
I've a couple of mates up for a Belfast/Northern Ireland branch. Cant PM so will keep an eye out for updates on the setting up of this branch or PM me. Can certainly lend a hand as well (I'd leave the running to someone more capable!)

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2010, 12:12:26 am »
I've a couple of mates up for a Belfast/Northern Ireland branch. Cant PM so will keep an eye out for updates on the setting up of this branch or PM me. Can certainly lend a hand as well (I'd leave the running to someone more capable!)

Where in Fermanagh are you?
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2010, 12:46:00 am »
I'd like SoS and all affiliated branches to use linkedin.com (business facebook) to expand its interests. Sure you are aware of the potential of social media for our cause.

I've set up a personal Linkedin account and was invited to the Liverpool group on there. Wasn't that much movement to see much need for SOS to go on there for now with balancing time with it. We have approaching 4000 on twitter and close to 30,000 on Facebook already. Obviously local branches can set up their own groups to help with dialogue between members.

Offline Roy Bentham

• SoS Travel Officer
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2010, 07:37:53 am »
Ok, hopefully the picture will become a bit clearer in the coming days and weeks (hopefully days)

great
Excellent. Both me and the Missus reckon we can get a good number of people involved from the wider area including people we've known and travelled with for over 20 years to those who have recently come aboard the good ship LFC.
Whatever it takes to get our club back.
Hope to see you July 4th in Liverpool

exciting stuff lads ... great to hear passion like that emlyncrazy

hope you get sorted soon ... threads like this vindicate the noble cause which we find ourselves entrenched in

best of luck to all that are taking the plunge

Offline JURGENKLOPP

• Thou shalt not steal. (books, from St. Thomas More Catholic High School)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2010, 10:58:41 am »
UPDATE - London branch

I believe, that the lads trying to get something up and running in Outer London have agreed to start off with 1 London branch and take it from there.

We are going to have an inaugural meeting (I've got a pub "function room" near Liverpool Street that can hold at least 50), that Graham Smith will come down and chair, so we're waiting on his availability - watch this space.

MODS - can I start a separate SOS London branch thread in due course ?
Sounds good, could you get back to me with any more information you have on this?

Offline Higgins79

• Legacy Fan
  • return of the king
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2010, 11:01:40 am »
if there is anybody planning on setting up a nottingham branch let me know.

Offline rtdh

• "Just call me daddy!"
  • Main Stander
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2010, 11:48:41 am »

It is possible that Nottingham could potentially be part of a wider Midlands group, dependign on numbers. Am keeping an eye on the situation and will provide more info in the coming days.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2010, 09:48:53 pm »

well that is two of us so far in Nottingham!
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!

Offline evie

• "Might have to think about it for a bit, k? No! That's not what I meant! Damn....." Prefers to hold it in.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2010, 10:07:48 pm »
Swedes - get your rumpar in gear and pull yer fingrar ut.

Send an email to joackimlundberg@hotmail.com , state where in Sveeden you are and what your SoS membership number is. If you are in Sveeden (irrespective of what nationality you are!), and are not yet in SoS then join NOW and then do the above (better still, let Jocke know you've joined).

I've lived here long enough to know how damned passive you lot can be, so break the mould and get active. Get involved. Help rescue the club you love. Or I'm coming after yers individually ;D

Done this a couple of days ago :)

EDIT: I mean that I mailed him a couple of days ago ;)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 10:10:41 pm by evie »

Offline McVean

• Main Stander
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2010, 10:10:18 pm »
Great idea with branches :) and as a Norwegian i think that toholmen's suggestion was a good one. I think it is important to spread the word, make fans all over the world to join the Union. Together we are strong and we will be. Would also give credit to the SOS board for the great job they do :thumbup

Offline Sar75

• no common sents
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2010, 10:53:33 pm »
well that is two of us so far in Nottingham!

And I make three  :) Would be very interested in an East Mids branch!
To work hard and have our supporters behind us and believing until the end, you run a little bit more.
Rafa Benitez

Offline guigy

• Kopite
  • OurClubOurShirt.com
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2010, 11:12:57 pm »
RedNich and FermanaghRed...

Have contacted Graham who has inturn put me in conatct with a few of the Lads in NI about possible branches, we have a proposal for the following which i am keen to follow.

Belfast branch
North Coast Branch
Western Branch (Fermanagh and Tyrone)

If the numbers dont warrant it then we can revert to a single NI branch.

If you cant pm email me on liverpooldvd@yahoo.co.uk.

one of Eamon Dunphy’s favourite observations: “He’s an arsehole - but he’s not a great arsehole.”

Offline rtdh

• "Just call me daddy!"
  • Main Stander
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2010, 03:37:17 pm »
And I make three  :) Would be very interested in an East Mids branch!

Or a midlands branch in general, if numbers were too low for either east or west mids to exist independently. But there is interest in both areas now. For al 3 of the Notts members, how many could each of you expect to join an east mids branch ? Wouldn't want to crowd this out if there are enough where you are (I'm in Warwick)

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2010, 03:53:08 pm »
Or a midlands branch in general, if numbers were too low for either east or west mids to exist independently. But there is interest in both areas now. For al 3 of the Notts members, how many could each of you expect to join an east mids branch ? Wouldn't want to crowd this out if there are enough where you are (I'm in Warwick)

well three so far but Warwick is a trip too far, cov maybe though, unless we go for Elinks while they build up. I would have no problem with a cyber group for now!

Offline rtdh

• "Just call me daddy!"
  • Main Stander
« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2010, 08:19:48 pm »
well three so far but Warwick is a trip too far, cov maybe though, unless we go for Elinks while they build up. I would have no problem with a cyber group for now!

YEah, thats fair enough, it is a bit of hike Geoff, if it were a midlands wide group then i reckon the best thing would be to rotate the meetings around the midlands area, so that everyone gets a chance to host. Anyhow, Coventry is only 20 mins from where I am.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2010, 11:08:10 pm »
YEah, thats fair enough, it is a bit of hike Geoff, if it were a midlands wide group then i reckon the best thing would be to rotate the meetings around the midlands area, so that everyone gets a chance to host. Anyhow, Coventry is only 20 mins from where I am.

about an hour for me but dooable my daughter used to be in a college in the tile hill area!

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2010, 01:13:24 am »
Im in Grantham, would consider joining a Notts or Lincs branch or East midlands
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2010, 01:50:30 am »
Maybe set up a Thatcher branch of the Union haha

Offline McVean

• Main Stander
« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2010, 01:52:11 am »
By the way, any idea how many Norwegian or Scandinavian members in general we have ? I was wondering if a Scandinavian branch would be a better idea than just a Norwegian or maybe not ?  Paul, Graham or any other...?

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2010, 09:30:50 am »
By the way, any idea how many Norwegian or Scandinavian members in general we have ? I was wondering if a Scandinavian branch would be a better idea than just a Norwegian or maybe not ?  Paul, Graham or any other...?

Sweden is about to open for business and we have good hopes for Norway.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline thetonyclifton

• Main Stander
  • Resident fantasist
« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2010, 01:12:46 pm »
RedNich and FermanaghRed...

Have contacted Graham who has inturn put me in conatct with a few of the Lads in NI about possible branches, we have a proposal for the following which i am keen to follow.

Belfast branch
North Coast Branch
Western Branch (Fermanagh and Tyrone)

If the numbers dont warrant it then we can revert to a single NI branch.

If you cant pm email me on liverpooldvd@yahoo.co.uk.

I am in Belfast - would one big branch not be better? (how often would it meet?) You could just rotate the venue for any branch related activities - you will never be more than an hour and a half from home.
"The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards, it's the way I see football, it's the way I see life." Bill Shankly

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2010, 01:56:42 pm »

Then there was four are you a grocer?

Offline suffolkrafa

• Kopite
  • 10/08/1977 & 08/01/2011 The King comes home
« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2010, 05:19:42 pm »
Suffolk / East Anglia anyone?

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!