Author Topic: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies  (Read 1045972 times)

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
Re: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies
« Reply #17480 on: October 31, 2022, 11:34:26 pm »
Reading that it seems these are all just for data only. What about for making calls? And how do you switch between them?

Recent iPhones (would imagine Android phones are the same) allow you to run two sims at the same time, one physical sim and one esim and you can use both at the same time so you can receive calls on both numbers and when your making a call chose which one to use or you can set a default.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17481 on: November 1, 2022, 07:27:20 am »
Recent iPhones (would imagine Android phones are the same) allow you to run two sims at the same time, one physical sim and one esim and you can use both at the same time so you can receive calls on both numbers and when your making a call chose which one to use or you can set a default.

I've got an Honor 10 lite, had it about 5 years and its got dual sim cards. Never bothered putting a second sim in the phone though as when I've been outside Europe I've only made one phone call.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #17482 on: November 1, 2022, 06:09:37 pm »
Thanks.

Right that explains the switching, but still, all those US sim deals linked to above seemed to be data only. So do you need to get two sim cards when you visit the US? One for calls/texts and one for data?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17483 on: November 1, 2022, 10:31:32 pm »
Thanks.

Right that explains the switching, but still, all those US sim deals linked to above seemed to be data only. So do you need to get two sim cards when you visit the US? One for calls/texts and one for data?

I can’t help too much with that, the costs of those SIM cards were surprisingly high, it might be worth checking what roaming offers UK providers offer, I’m not a customer myself but I think Three have some good roaming perks.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17484 on: November 1, 2022, 11:06:09 pm »
Thanks.

We found a US sim that you could buy here, and activate once there. Think its calls and data, but I'm not the one going. It is a lot more expensive than what you'd pay here, but from what I've read, it just is in the US. We also check roaming charges (tmobile), but they were even worse.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #17485 on: November 2, 2022, 12:23:24 am »
Thanks chaps. I'd honestly just assumed that you could rock up there and buy some dirt cheap sim only deal, so I'm glad I saw this

Wasn't this hard when you just stuck a nickel in call box slot
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #17486 on: November 2, 2022, 01:08:59 am »
Thanks chaps. I'd honestly just assumed that you could rock up there and buy some dirt cheap sim only deal, so I'm glad I saw this

How far from the Greggs doorway were you?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17487 on: November 2, 2022, 04:12:06 pm »

It’s always worth checking in advance as the rules in the UK regarding SIM cards are much more relaxed than some other countries. When I go to India I have to call a cousin and tell them to get one ready for me before I arrive because it’s that complicated to get one as a foreigner it’s not really worth the hassle.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17488 on: November 2, 2022, 06:27:18 pm »
No idea what's the best, but randomly saw some in  Lidl today. They'll at least be cheap!

Otherwise, I'd look for safety certificates (Lidl's should have CE marks), because there have been fires started from those things.
They're all pretty much the same,the more you pay,the nicer the cover really.I'd get one from Lidl or Aldis because you get a 3yr warranty with most of their electricals.
Cheers. Saw one via Amazon highly recommended so got that.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #17489 on: November 3, 2022, 03:14:41 pm »
Anyone recommend a good Radio Show

I have been listening to Scott Mills on demand for years and just have it on during the day when working. I like the chit chat and like the music selections. Most of the presenters I've liked at R1 in the past years have all left and Scott was the last I cared for. I want to keep up with current popular music and am pretty sure I won't be happy with the R2 music list

Any recommendations of either Radio 1 people or other on demand shows that will be something similar to Scott.

Cheers.

I've checked out most of the current Radio 1 DJ's and find that I really can't stand almost all of them. Even Greg James who is clearly an interesting guy, I find a bit juvenile. His daily game is to call people and see if they are standing up or sitting down. WTF is that about, its not even funny.

I do really like Arielle Free though. She does the early breakfast show but as I listen on demand it makes no odds. She does the simple job of being nice and funny and informative between songs well and not hamming it up or dumbing it down.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17490 on: November 3, 2022, 05:21:13 pm »
Always wondered if famous/well known people use alter egos on their utility bills etc for their private homes.

Like if Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson was getting Gas and Leccy bills addressed to him then surely the address would get leaked and he'd be receiving turds in the post on a daily basis.

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #17491 on: November 3, 2022, 05:25:49 pm »
Always wondered if famous/well known people use alter egos on their utility bills etc for their private homes.

Like if Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson was getting Gas and Leccy bills addressed to him then surely the address would get leaked and he'd be receiving turds in the post on a daily basis.

These days i'd rather get a turd through the post than a leccy bill!  :o

But I know what you mean. Does Mo Salah phone up to wrangle about his mobile phone bill? I guess a lot of rich pople have PAs and management companies dealing with all those things.

And I think most famous people's addresses are known anyway - except to Everton fans, of course.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17492 on: November 3, 2022, 06:47:44 pm »
I've checked out most of the current Radio 1 DJ's and find that I really can't stand almost all of them. Even Greg James who is clearly an interesting guy, I find a bit juvenile. His daily game is to call people and see if they are standing up or sitting down. WTF is that about, its not even funny.

I do really like Arielle Free though. She does the early breakfast show but as I listen on demand it makes no odds. She does the simple job of being nice and funny and informative between songs well and not hamming it up or dumbing it down.

6 Music is hands down the best station,Riley aside it's full of top DJs as well.

Absolute has a no repeat guarantee as well which makes for a decent day.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #17493 on: November 4, 2022, 09:45:44 am »

6 Music is hands down the best station,Riley aside it's full of top DJs as well.

Absolute has a no repeat guarantee as well which makes for a decent day.

Would have to agree that the DJ's are really good and I did like Mary Ann Hobbs the other day. I find the music on 6 can be a bit esoteric, but overall, yes it is the best BBC station if you like music and over 30.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17494 on: November 4, 2022, 10:02:23 am »
These days i'd rather get a turd through the post than a leccy bill!  :o

But I know what you mean. Does Mo Salah phone up to wrangle about his mobile phone bill? I guess a lot of rich pople have PAs and management companies dealing with all those things.

And I think most famous people's addresses are known anyway - except to Everton fans, of course.
I more meant paper mail to be honest. Surely it requires their actual name on any correspondence so they can use it for ID purposes etc. You need to verify your address even for a bank account. I always thought they get given some kind of special permission to use a different name or a PA though like you say.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17495 on: November 7, 2022, 01:18:43 pm »
Has anyone got experience with those heated clothes hangers.

Are they useful? Expensive to run?
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17496 on: November 7, 2022, 03:03:12 pm »
Has anyone got experience with those heated clothes hangers.

Are they useful? Expensive to run?

Reviews I read said they are shite - only dry the bits they touch
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #17497 on: November 7, 2022, 03:40:58 pm »
Reviews I read said they are shite - only dry the bits they touch

Well, less material to dry in toto on the shorts, so, maybe...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #17498 on: November 8, 2022, 02:47:36 pm »
I don't travel much.

Is there any pattern to the price of booking flights? We're all travelling on the same flight to a friend's wedding in April. I couldn't book mine at the weekend, so having to do it now. I start looking, the prices are around £150. I carry on looking and get told they've gone up.

I'm on incognito mode etc as I heard this helps, but are they likely to go down at all? If I randomly check back tonight or later in the week will I get it cheaper, or should I just get one now before it goes up again?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17499 on: November 8, 2022, 03:08:36 pm »
I don't travel much.

Is there any pattern to the price of booking flights? We're all travelling on the same flight to a friend's wedding in April. I couldn't book mine at the weekend, so having to do it now. I start looking, the prices are around £150. I carry on looking and get told they've gone up.

I'm on incognito mode etc as I heard this helps, but are they likely to go down at all? If I randomly check back tonight or later in the week will I get it cheaper, or should I just get one now before it goes up again?

I use Skyscanner when checking flight prices.
Something like the airlines use an algorithm that increases the price according to demand, so the more checks on a certain route, the more in demand it appears to be. Skyscanner apparently bypasses this.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17500 on: November 8, 2022, 03:35:10 pm »
I don't travel much.

It's all based on how fast tickets are selling compared to how they expect. If they're selling too fast, they jack up the price. If they're selling too slow and they risk not selling all seats, they drop prices. There is apparently an optimum time to book flights in terms of how many days/weeks/months in advance but can't remember what time it is (but it isn't as far in advance as is possible, as you might expect).

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17501 on: November 8, 2022, 03:41:30 pm »
It's all based on how fast tickets are selling compared to how they expect. If they're selling too fast, they jack up the price. If they're selling too slow and they risk not selling all seats, they drop prices. There is apparently an optimum time to book flights in terms of how many days/weeks/months in advance but can't remember what time it is (but it isn't as far in advance as is possible, as you might expect).

Did hear one of the staff in a TUI shop tell someone not long ago that they no longer sell the last remaining seats dead cheap, if its unsold, so be it. Something to do with them having made the profit they need on the flight so happy to leave the seat empty.

Missus likes to get things booked early and she's found with package holidays lately that they do go up just before we go, she's yet to see one sell for less than we paid. We were looking at Cyprus with Jet2 while we were away in Turkey, when we got back it had gone up over £500. EasyJet were later flights but it was £700 cheaper, so booked with them. She'll now monitor the Jet2 price and if it drops back again, we will book with them, cancel the EasyJet one and transfer the deposit to our Crete holiday.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #17502 on: November 9, 2022, 10:21:55 am »
Has anyone here retruned an item to Argos that has been bought in part with gift vouchers? Is it easy enough?

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17503 on: November 9, 2022, 02:03:10 pm »
Whats more economical, boiling enough water in a 3kw kettle to fill a flask and then using that to make drinks during the day, or boiling the min level in the kettle each time I have a brew? .

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17504 on: November 9, 2022, 02:31:15 pm »
Whats more economical, boiling enough water in a 3kw kettle to fill a flask and then using that to make drinks during the day, or boiling the min level in the kettle each time I have a brew? .

If you don't need all the minimum level water for your brew, you'll have boiled excess water each time, which is wasted energy. So boiling enough for a flask once (and using all of it) is more efficient.

Now show that to your missus ;D
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #17505 on: November 9, 2022, 02:37:17 pm »
If you don't need all the minimum level water for your brew, you'll have boiled excess water each time, which is wasted energy. So boiling enough for a flask once (and using all of it) is more efficient.

Now show that to your missus ;D
On the other had if he doesn't use all the water, and just tops up the kettle each time he wants a boil, the start temp of the water will be higher for the minimal boils, so will need less power to reach boiling point, compared to starting with an empty kettle. That might have a meaningful impact on the cost. I don't know.

It's a fairly simple maths problem if you fancy trying it, Rob, because the KWh rate cost of the electricity is known and standard 3KW kettles use the full power from switch-on to switch-off, so it's largely a question of how long in total the kettle is on for in each of the scenarios.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #17506 on: November 9, 2022, 05:57:33 pm »
Has anyone here retruned an item to Argos that has been bought in part with gift vouchers? Is it easy enough?

yes - you just get vouchers back (usually on an argos gift card) for the amount paid using vouchers - you'll get the cash back as cash or your credit card payment will be put back on your card

suffice to say, no receipt and then you'll get the full amount on a gift card but that will be down to the judgement of management
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #17507 on: November 9, 2022, 08:58:17 pm »
Cheers, ended up not needing to return it anyway but good to know

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #17508 on: November 9, 2022, 11:54:15 pm »
Hye all of the respected lads here and good people of Liverpool.

Is there any way, for me to watch ANY British TV or entertainment online from website OR mobile without attaching my credit card info?

Of course free is much welcomed, if it's exist. It's okay if there is none. Just want to know only.

I am from another part of the globe which is ffuuuulllll of American entertainment, movies and series.

Feels like wanna go full Brits mode this time.

Thank you, all of the beloved brothers and sisters here.  :)  :)  :)
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #17509 on: November 10, 2022, 12:50:42 am »
Hye all of the respected lads here and good people of Liverpool.

Is there any way, for me to watch ANY British TV or entertainment online from website OR mobile without attaching my credit card info?

Of course free is much welcomed, if it's exist. It's okay if there is none. Just want to know only.

I am from another part of the globe which is ffuuuulllll of American entertainment, movies and series.

Feels like wanna go full Brits mode this time.

Thank you, all of the beloved brothers and sisters here.  :)  :)  :)
There are loads of jarg sites and things like torrents if you don't mind going that way. No idea about legit sources.

Might be more info in the media and arts section here

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #17510 on: November 10, 2022, 07:09:14 am »
There are loads of jarg sites and things like torrents if you don't mind going that way. No idea about legit sources.
Might be more info in the media and arts section here
Thank you, mate... Always knew you are the one who is most of the kindest here. Lovely lad.

Appreciate your suggestion, will take a look.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17511 on: November 10, 2022, 02:37:49 pm »
Thank you, mate... Always knew you are the one who is most of the kindest here. Lovely lad.

Appreciate your suggestion, will take a look.
I think you're on there, Ghost.  :)

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #17512 on: November 13, 2022, 05:21:22 pm »
Can anyone recommend me a good body torch, with four hours+ of battery life?

Or failing that, a decent standard torch with a similar battery. Would like to go for a night hike over Christmas, haven't done it since I was in the Scouts about twenty years ago.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17513 on: November 13, 2022, 05:27:22 pm »
Can anyone recommend me a good body torch, with four hours+ of battery life?

Or failing that, a decent standard torch with a similar battery. Would like to go for a night hike over Christmas, haven't done it since I was in the Scouts about twenty years ago.

Petzl head torches were always our goto when we were kayaking/camping mate.  Still use them now for walking the dogs at night.

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #17514 on: November 13, 2022, 05:36:37 pm »
Petzl head torches were always our goto when we were kayaking/camping mate.  Still use them now for walking the dogs at night.
Cheers, my brother said he might be able to borrow some head torches from his work so I'll ask him about them. My dad's got a body one as well so I'll give that a go, read a few reviews that mention those being a bit annoying for not being able to control where the angle of the light.

Kayaking in the dark sounds like bliss, probably not in December though :D

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17515 on: November 13, 2022, 06:35:24 pm »
Cheers, my brother said he might be able to borrow some head torches from his work so I'll ask him about them. My dad's got a body one as well so I'll give that a go, read a few reviews that mention those being a bit annoying for not being able to control where the angle of the light.

December's not too bad, February on the other hand 🥶

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #17516 on: November 14, 2022, 01:45:01 am »

I do a fair bit of hiking inc night hiking and I find head torches much better than body torches or hand held. Generally you want the light to shine in the direction you are looking.

I can't really give any recommendations as I just use bog standard LED head torches - nothing too bright. I want to see where I'm going and what's in front of me but don't want to flood the area with light and ruin the night ambience for others or wild creatures etc.

Most LED units usually last a fair few hours on even cheapo batteries. Obviously take extra batteries, like :)

Offline F-T-9

• Anny Roader
« Reply #17517 on: November 15, 2022, 08:59:07 pm »
Anyone recommend a sturdy wall bracket for a 65 inch TV? Just bought an LG C2 and I'd like something robust and strong to keep it up. Maybe something that can extend although not overly fussed about having that.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 09:01:25 pm by F-T-9 »

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17518 on: November 15, 2022, 09:15:06 pm »
Did anyone see the fire in Snowdonia last night?

We could see it on Anglesey but not sure if it was visible from Liverpool.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17519 on: November 17, 2022, 09:21:57 am »
Anyone recommend a sturdy wall bracket for a 65 inch TV? Just bought an LG C2 and I'd like something robust and strong to keep it up. Maybe something that can extend although not overly fussed about having that.
Try this:

https://www.boots-uk.com/newsroom/features/viagra-connect-available-without-a-prescription-from-today/
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.