Author Topic: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies  (Read 1045589 times)

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
Re: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies
« Reply #16760 on: December 29, 2021, 08:54:37 pm »
Would never even consider Dubai for the reasons stated above. And ethics aside, it just seems so fake.

The thing is where do you draw the line? Most of African and Asian countries are run by some pretty unpleasant leaders, South America isn’t much better, most of the Caribbean and large swathes of Africa and Asia still deem homosexuality a crime FFS, Eastern Europe is going backwards. Outside of Western Europe and North America there’s probably not many places that are particularly ethical to visit for one reason or another.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16761 on: December 29, 2021, 09:03:18 pm »
The thing is where do you draw the line? Most of African and Asian countries are run by some pretty unpleasant leaders, South America isn’t much better, most of the Caribbean and large swathes of Africa and Asia still deem homosexuality a crime FFS, Eastern Europe is going backwards. Outside of Western Europe and North America there’s probably not many places that are particularly ethical to visit for one reason or another.

I haven't defined it exactly. I suppose a good place to start would be countries that have democratic elections. The only country I have visited in my life that didn't was Lesotho and that was just for a couple of days during a trip to South Africa.

As you say though, it's not black and white, but Dubai sits pretty comfortably on the wrong side of that line for me.

(I'm talking about holidays strictly here, rather than other reasons which might have other justifications).

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #16762 on: December 29, 2021, 10:25:53 pm »
I haven't defined it exactly. I suppose a good place to start would be countries that have democratic elections. The only country I have visited in my life that didn't was Lesotho and that was just for a couple of days during a trip to South Africa.

As you say though, it's not black and white, but Dubai sits pretty comfortably on the wrong side of that line for me.

(I'm talking about holidays strictly here, rather than other reasons which might have other justifications).
I understand what you're saying but no. I want to see the whole world if I can and I happen to be alive now. I can't wait till some countries or parts of the world change for the better, which may or may not happen in my lifetime, if at all. I have to deal with the here and now.

And besides, the people in badly run countries are often much more likely to be victims of their governments than complicit.

Everywhere I've travelled to, no matter how 'unethical' or dislikeable the country might be, I've met great people, real, genuine people who don't represent any of the things I might disapprove of, or who are hungry for change and looking for hope. Or who may well represent certain dislikeable attitudes but only because they've never known any different. That's who I go for, not the governments.

And without sounding overbearing about it, wherever we go we can take a little of what is best about where we come from - ideas, attitudes etc - with us. God knows there's enough shite in our own western countries, but what good there is we can try and exemplify it. That's one way that good attitudes and ideas will spread, over time.

Bad places aren't going to get better if we turn our backs on them and let them fester. Be the change we want to see in the world, and take it with us as we engage and build bridges. And of course, there's plenty we can learn as well.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16763 on: December 30, 2021, 07:33:21 pm »
Everywhere I've travelled to, no matter how 'unethical' or dislikeable the country might be, I've met great people, real, genuine people who don't represent any of the things I might disapprove of, or who are hungry for change and looking for hope. Or who may well represent certain dislikeable attitudes but only because they've never known any different. That's who I go for, not the governments.

And without sounding overbearing about it, wherever we go we can take a little of what is best about where we come from - ideas, attitudes etc - with us. God knows there's enough shite in our own western countries, but what good there is we can try and exemplify it. That's one way that good attitudes and ideas will spread, over time.

Bad places aren't going to get better if we turn our backs on them and let them fester. Be the change we want to see in the world, and take it with us as we engage and build bridges. And of course, there's plenty we can learn as well.
Agree with this.  my wife and I have visited a number of places with bad governments (eg Myanmar, Cambodia).  each time we've met lovely people who are often very desperate and hugely grateful for whatever money they can make from tourists.

staying away doesn't help them one iota.

the bastards ripping off their countries will never feel the pain of you not visiting, but the poor people in the market stalls, restaurants, hotels etc sure as hell do. and making even small personal connections might - might - help them hang in.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16764 on: January 1, 2022, 10:58:00 pm »
Has anyone got any tips or decent products for cleaning washing machines please?
An getting a bit of a smell and dont know if its linked but quite often the cycle wont finish.

Thank you.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16765 on: January 1, 2022, 11:18:49 pm »
Has anyone got any tips or decent products for cleaning washing machines please?
An getting a bit of a smell and dont know if its linked but quite often the cycle wont finish.

Thank you.

I use the Dr Beckmann washing machine cleaner, throw it in the machine and run a full hot wash through, always works on ours. You can get it in Home Bargains and places like that or off Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dr-Beckmann-Service-Washing-Machine-Treatment/dp/B0080ZSQKS?ref_=ast_sto_dp
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16766 on: January 1, 2022, 11:39:45 pm »
I use the Dr Beckmann washing machine cleaner, throw it in the machine and run a full hot wash through, always works on ours. You can get it in Home Bargains and places like that or off Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dr-Beckmann-Service-Washing-Machine-Treatment/dp/B0080ZSQKS?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Thanks my friend  :thumbup

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16767 on: January 4, 2022, 06:27:44 pm »
are there any sites that will help me reconnect with my school mates in the UK?

I emigrated from the UK 40-odd years ago and completely lost track of my mates apart from random get togethers a long time back.  would love to touch base and see how they're doing

eons ago here was a site called friends unlimited (I think that was the name?) that looked interesting at first, but I believe it got closed down to some kind of bad crap going on.

any ideas / recommendations? (apart from Facebook - I have zero interest in using it).  thanks in advance.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16768 on: January 4, 2022, 07:06:07 pm »
You're pretty much describing one of the few decent uses for Facebook.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16769 on: January 4, 2022, 07:11:33 pm »
are there any sites that will help me reconnect with my school mates in the UK?

I emigrated from the UK 40-odd years ago and completely lost track of my mates apart from random get togethers a long time back.  would love to touch base and see how they're doing

eons ago here was a site called friends unlimited (I think that was the name?) that looked interesting at first, but I believe it got closed down to some kind of bad crap going on.

any ideas / recommendations? (apart from Facebook - I have zero interest in using it).  thanks in advance.

Deffo try facebook - you'll find at least one person you went to school on it, you might even find a page dedicated to your old school. Its how I got contacted by old mates, both from Tower Hill and school.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online gary75

• Despite all his care, he suffers from a sticky ring.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #16770 on: January 4, 2022, 08:12:55 pm »

Thank you.

Also, check your filters, theres usually one at the front that screws out (you may get a bit of water when you remove it so be prepared)
You get thread and debris from your clothes that can create a pong if the filter isn't cleaned and rinsed.

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16771 on: January 4, 2022, 11:09:49 pm »
Also, check your filters, theres usually one at the front that screws out (you may get a bit of water when you remove it so be prepared)
You get thread and debris from your clothes that can create a pong if the filter isn't cleaned and rinsed.

Thanks buddy

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #16772 on: January 4, 2022, 11:15:35 pm »
Would never even consider Dubai for the reasons stated above. And ethics aside, it just seems so fake.

Discussed this with Mrs P today as our dentist flys out there to botixise some if the aging ex-pat wannabe wags who live there.

Wholly plastic and no history, not somewhere I'd consider visiting.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16773 on: January 5, 2022, 06:19:54 pm »
a live in a ditch below a lane, the view into my property is/was covered by trees in the lane (public land)
at the top of the lane is a 3 storey nursing home.

The owners of the nursing home have now cut down the trees leaving my garden exposed, plus the fact its not great for the environment

Im ultra pissed off is there anything I can do about it apart from moan on RAWK?

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16774 on: January 5, 2022, 07:36:47 pm »
you live in a ditch?

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16775 on: January 5, 2022, 07:39:55 pm »
you live in a ditch?
;D

below the level of the lane might be a better explanation
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #16776 on: January 5, 2022, 07:51:38 pm »
Every square inch of land in this country is owned by someone.
Check with the council if the trees were protected, and that they had permission to cut the trees down.
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #16777 on: January 5, 2022, 08:03:48 pm »
;D

We can only accept your first answer.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16778 on: January 5, 2022, 08:06:30 pm »
Every square inch of land in this country is owned by someone.
Check with the council if the trees were protected, and that they had permission to cut the trees down.

cheers TT will get onto them in the morning

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16779 on: January 5, 2022, 08:08:59 pm »
We can only accept your first answer.

:lmao

I should be better at trolling then

https://storiestogrowby.org/story/trolls-ride/

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #16780 on: January 5, 2022, 08:22:38 pm »
;D

We all live in a yellow sub-road ditch
a yellow sub-road ditch...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16781 on: January 5, 2022, 08:28:34 pm »
We all live in a yellow sub-road ditch
a yellow sub-road ditch...

in an openview garden , that now everyone can see

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #16782 on: January 5, 2022, 08:35:04 pm »
In the ditch, where I was born...
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16783 on: January 5, 2022, 11:47:30 pm »
life's a ditch, then you live in one.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16784 on: January 8, 2022, 05:24:39 pm »
The piano part in Crime of the Century, has it ever been used in a film? I know it from the song, but I've got this feeling it was in a film?

Starts at 2:08

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GpAUDOI24Oo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GpAUDOI24Oo</a>

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #16785 on: January 10, 2022, 11:07:27 pm »
The piano part in Crime of the Century, has it ever been used in a film? I know it from the song, but I've got this feeling it was in a film?

Starts at 2:08

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GpAUDOI24Oo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GpAUDOI24Oo</a>

According to this site, the song has only been in the original Superman, but I couldn’t tell you if it’s that section or not.

https://www.lyrics.com/movies/128244/Crime+Of+The+Century
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16786 on: January 13, 2022, 01:11:12 pm »
Is there a thread discussing how to make a decent CV?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16787 on: January 13, 2022, 02:38:28 pm »
Is there a thread discussing how to make a decent CV?

There was stuff in the unemployed RAWKITES thread,

However reading and writing CVs is part of my profession so happy to help where I can

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16788 on: January 13, 2022, 03:18:54 pm »
There was stuff in the unemployed RAWKITES thread,

However reading and writing CVs is part of my profession so happy to help where I can

Cheers mate.

My kid brother is wanting to do one up to start applying for a few things, but he's only 16. He's still in school and doing his GCSEs this year so very limited obviously with what he can put on it. I haven't looked at a CV in 20 years so a bit clueless really.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16789 on: January 13, 2022, 04:38:27 pm »
Cheers mate.

My kid brother is wanting to do one up to start applying for a few things, but he's only 16. He's still in school and doing his GCSEs this year so very limited obviously with what he can put on it. I haven't looked at a CV in 20 years so a bit clueless really.

general tips for CVs

always do reverse chronological - latest job first
check spelling check grammar

common mistake is having a cv in different tenses, if you use present continuous, stick to it

most relevant stuff first, so if you require a certificate or qualification for a certain  job,  put it at the top, near the top

Ive sent you a PM barney

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16790 on: January 13, 2022, 05:47:17 pm »
there's a ton of CV advice online.  just google it.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16791 on: January 13, 2022, 05:50:12 pm »
there's a ton of CV advice online.  just google it.

There's a ton of advice for everything online on Google. Doesn't mean it's easy to get specifics.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16792 on: January 13, 2022, 05:51:26 pm »
There's a ton of advice for everything online on Google. Doesn't mean it's easy to get specifics.
fair enough.  wasn't sure what you were after.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #16793 on: January 13, 2022, 07:06:28 pm »

Not to mention useful specifics...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16794 on: January 13, 2022, 07:08:23 pm »
Always exaggerate your skills and make them up where you're lacking.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #16795 on: January 13, 2022, 07:08:31 pm »

Is there any form of school's careers advice available these days?

If so may be a good starting point for a 16 year old.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16796 on: January 13, 2022, 07:17:15 pm »
When I used to work with school leavers one of my roles was to help with CVs and as you say there's not a lot of experience you can use so we always started with hobbies.

Any team sports they played and whether they were captain or vice captain. 
Any individual sports they played.
Any part time jobs they'd had like paper rounds or babysitting.
Any clubs or associations they are members of like Scouts, Guides or Military.
Any trophies, competitions or awards they've won.

It really is all about showing their levels of responsibility, reliability, achievements and/or motivation at this stage in their lives.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #16797 on: January 14, 2022, 09:38:36 am »
I have a question about home ventillation. I read somewhere that summer ventillation is more important than winter ventillation.

Websites recommend in summer (2x a day, for 10 mins each) and in winter, (3x a week for 15 mins each). I follow this rule, more or less.

But a couple of my colleagues follow the same rule (2x a day for 10 mins) regardless of summer or winter. Since it gets cold and snowy where I live, I find it a little redundant since the time the windoes are closed, the heater is on and when the windows are open, the trapped heat gets out. Energy costs are already at an all time high where I live.

Any advises on this?

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16798 on: January 14, 2022, 09:42:48 am »
When I used to work with school leavers one of my roles was to help with CVs and as you say there's not a lot of experience you can use so we always started with hobbies.

Any team sports they played and whether they were captain or vice captain. 
Any individual sports they played.
Any part time jobs they'd had like paper rounds or babysitting.
Any clubs or associations they are members of like Scouts, Guides or Military.
Any trophies, competitions or awards they've won.

It really is all about showing their levels of responsibility, reliability, achievements and/or motivation at this stage in their lives.

this is great advice

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16799 on: January 14, 2022, 09:44:06 am »
Cheers for the help folks, should have enough to get him started off.