Author Topic: John Barnes  (Read 171315 times)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
John Barnes
« on: January 21, 2009, 05:52:30 pm »
I thought a thread or two on some of our former legends might make a refreshing change from some of the negative stuff that's been knocking about recently. I know for loads of people John Barnes was their first footballing hero:

I was 8 in the summer of 1987 when my Dad told me that Liverpool had signed John Barnes. At the time I had heard of him from his appearances off the bench at Mexico 86 and that was about it. As a kid I was more interested in playing the game than watching a game on the TV unless it involved Liverpool. A year later (probably less than that in reality) and I had my first footballing hero.

Due to a less than blanket coverage of football on TV back then I can't even remember the 'buzz' that was created by those who witnessed his first few away performances. The first time I saw him play in the flesh was against Everton in November where his majestic back heel helped create the clinching 2nd goal for Beardsley. Over the next 4 seasons I was lucky enough to witness one of the all time Liverpool greats perform to a consistently outstanding level. He seemed to have everything a left winger should have and much more besides:
Pace - as his 2nd goal vs QPR in 1987 demonstrated, Digger was pacey and direct, lengthening his stride to keep control of the ball when running at the heart of a defence
Skill - unlike many of today's show ponies Digger only used tricks when he had to. No-one was better at getting to the bye-line then cutting along it, biding his time before picking out the perfect cut back. His nutmegging of Steve Chettle in the 5-0 win over Forest was a great example of this.
Delivery - Think back to some of the best goals we scored in that time and chances are many feature a delicious Barnes cross. Off the top of my head he provided one for Houghton in the FA Cup at Goodison, one for Aldo's volley at the first FA Cup semi at Hillsborough, his cross for Rush in the 89 cup final.
Workrate - ok, I'm going off the old Radio 2 commentaries for this one but I can frequently remember the likes of Byan Butler (I think) talking of Barnes performing in an auxiliary left back position
Goals - in 1989/90 he played down the middle for quite a number of games and finished top scorer with 28 goals (22 in the league).
Something indefinable - in an outstanding team Barnes was still the one player the fans would look to for a moment of inspiration in times of trouble. A bit of magic from Digger and he would have laid a chance on a plater for Aldo or Rush or bent a free kick in himself like late on in the FA Cup against QPR in 1990. As a young fan I always had the sense that if Barnes was still on the pitch then we always had a chance.

In the early 1990's Barnes suffered from a number of injuries, must notably a ruptured achilles tendon in 1992 that led to a length layoff. When he returned he had lost a lot of his pace but still retained his excellent passing ability. Under Roy Evans Barnes was moved to a central midfield position and re-invented his game. Instead of electric bursts of pace he kept the game ticking over with short and long accurate passing, occasionally chipping in with vital (and brilliant goals like his scissor kick against Blackburn at Ewood Park in 1994. He was starting to get bypassed by younger, fitter players and in the spring of 1997 was dropped for the first time in his career for the 2nd leg of the Cup Winners Cup tie against Paris St Germain. He left for Newcastle at the end of that season.

Anyone who saw Barnes in his pomp would mark him down as one of the all time greats. The heights he consistently hit from 1987-1991 mark him down as the best player I have seen in a Liverpool shirt.

I appreciate that many of you will have seen a lot more of him live than I did so please add to this thread with your favourite memories of him. In fact, I'd be interested in hearing everyone's view on John Barnes. For those over 35, how do you rate him compared to the likes of Kenny? For the younger fans who might only remember him in his latter years, have you seen videos of how good he was?

John Barnes

Appearances: 409
Goals: 108
Honours:
2 x First Division (1987/88, 1989/90)
2 x FA Cup (1989, 1992)
1 x League Cup (1995)

My top 5 Barnes goals:
1) 2nd goal vs QPR in 1987 - won the ball on halfway, jinked through the defence and passed the ball past Seaman
2) Curler vs Everton in the 4-4 epic at Goodison
3)Scissor kick vs Balckburn in 1994
4) Free kick vs Arsenal at Anfield in 1989, helping us gain a measure of revenge from what went on a few months earlier
5) vs Southampton away in 1996 - a howler of a clearance from Dave Beasant, slotted in first time from 45 yards.
He's so good I'll throw a 6th in there:
6) A brilliant 'pass and move'  classic in the 5-4 win at Leeds in 1991

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dzGouuyt2Cc

Pace, poise, power, sheer class! There's so much more I could add but will leave it at that for now. All praise, stories and memories of the great man in here please...

PS - I know Bosshog started a similar thread a year or so ago so feel free to merge/delete if appropriate!...http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=223812.0
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 05:57:48 pm by Crosby Nick »

Offline xabi rules

• out winning title with Liverpool
  • Kopite
Re: John Barnes
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 05:55:11 pm »
Steve Nicol provided the cross for Rush's first goal in the 1989 FA Cup Final. Apart from that, top post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hDQ4cChOA0
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 05:59:21 pm by xabi rules »
'' I'd like to think that I have put more into the game than I have taken out. And that I haven‘t cheated anybody, that I've been working for people honestly all along the line, for the people of Liverpool who go to Anfield. I'd like to be recognised for trying to give them entertainment.''

The great Bill Shankly

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 05:55:12 pm »
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 05:56:19 pm »
Spot on post.....a thing of beauty was Barnesy.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 05:57:11 pm »
Steve Nicol provided the cross for Rush's first goal in the 1989 FA Cup Final. Apart from that, top post.

Damn you - always used to get them two mixed up! ;) Amended it now!

Offline Kop4

• Legacy Fan
  • Can't get his avatar's boobs to jiggle.
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 05:58:47 pm »
Rather more subtle than a certain modern show pony, he was peerless in the English game in those early Liverpool years.

Without the trailbazing Barnes, there would be no Barack Obama :P
A travesty of a sham of a mockery.

Offline xabi rules

• out winning title with Liverpool
  • Kopite
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 06:00:22 pm »
Damn you - always used to get them two mixed up! ;) Amended it now!

Two peas in a pod ;)
'' I'd like to think that I have put more into the game than I have taken out. And that I haven‘t cheated anybody, that I've been working for people honestly all along the line, for the people of Liverpool who go to Anfield. I'd like to be recognised for trying to give them entertainment.''

The great Bill Shankly

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 06:01:45 pm »
Good post mate, Barnsey is a legend, right up there with the greatest ever for this club.

Offline cevans16

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 06:04:00 pm »
Legend!
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
  • 1-2,1-2-3,1-2-3-4...5-0
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 06:04:28 pm »
Thank goodness for a thread that is neither of the "negative shite" sort or the "anti shite shite" sort (you know the stuff - let me dream up the most ridiculous scenario I can to prove the point that things could be worse).

Anyway, Barnesy arrived the season that the hole in the Kop appeared. So we had to play our first I don't know how many games away. Didn't have much cash in those days but I was desperate to see the Reds. So scraped the spondies together and went to the Coventry game. What a treat - 4-0 to the boys and a superb performance from Barnes and Beardsley. Worth every penny.

One of my other memories was JB's first home game. When he came out to warm up there was such a huge cheer it looked like Barnesy grew in stature there and then.

Great player, great times.

Offline barnseysleftpeg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 06:06:08 pm »
My favourite LFC player ever!!!

Could do everything pass, shoot. cross, dribble, had pace, was strong and the best thing was two footed.

who can forget his goal against Everton in the fa cup when he curled it into the top corner with his right.  My favourite one of his goals.

If we had him now we'd win the league.

He'd play on the right and would still be the best player in the league.

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Reds are coming up the hill, boys...
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 06:06:09 pm »
I remember in some pre-Premiership mists of time we were playing QPR at Loftus Road and rather routinely beating them. The QPR fans obviously put this down to biased refereeing: "Who's the scouser in the black?"

Quick as a flash came the response from the travelling Reds: "Johnny Barnes, Johnny Barnes, Johnny Barnes..."

Maybe not very pc, but bear in mind top black players were still a rarity then and the said retort was clearly tongue-in-cheek.
"Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number,
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many - they are few." Percy Bysshe Shelley

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 06:08:13 pm »
I remember in some pre-Premier League mists of time we were playing QPR at Loftus Road and rather routinely beating them. The QPR fans obviously put this down to biased refereeing: "Who's the scouser in the black?"

Quick as a flash came the response from the travelling Reds: "Johnny Barnes, Johnny Barnes, Johnny Barnes..."

Maybe not very pc, but bear in mind top black players were still a rarity then and the said retort was clearly tongue-in-cheek.

Haha that is superb!

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 06:15:06 pm »
Great idea for a thread, Nick and so refreshing to see a positive thread in the LFC forum.
Digger for me was the second best (after King Kenny) player I've seen in a red shirt. Superb player and a lovely fella too.

Offline James B

• anned.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team o' Caraghers!
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 06:20:28 pm »
Top player and a legend.

You'll probably get idiots on here who think Kuyt is better though...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 06:50:42 pm by J.RTK »

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 06:26:30 pm »
for me the reason we havent won the league since 1990 is that we havent replaced John Barnes

you need wide players who create and score goals

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 06:29:27 pm »
one thing about digger for me was his freekicks. he had the skill to bend the ball, not like players of the last 15 years who its not a skill for as the balls move so easily!
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 06:32:26 pm »
for me the reason we havent won the league since 1990 is that we havent replaced John Barnes

you need wide players who create and score goals

Steve McManaman? Not quite up there in Barnes' league, nor in goal-scoring terms. Still a not-too-shabby 1-in-6 ratio though and plenty of match-winning performances. The trouble is more that, while Barnes was the icing on a very rich cake, McManaman and others since have never had the all-round team play there to support their talents.

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 06:41:03 pm »
Steve McManaman? Not quite up there in Barnes' league, nor in goal-scoring terms. Still a not-too-shabby 1-in-6 ratio though and plenty of match-winning performances. The trouble is more that, while Barnes was the icing on a very rich cake, McManaman and others since have never had the all-round team play there to support their talents.

barnes would probably be in most peoples top 5 liverpool players of all time

Offline fernando torres

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 06:43:18 pm »
fave reds player ever - true legend and true gentleman.

if you have not read his autobiography, your missing out

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 06:49:38 pm »
when barnes played for us there was a bit of a `ronaldo` situation, there were rumours before he signed that he didnt want to play for a club outside of london and after his first terrific season every subsequent summer there were rumours that he was going to italy (which was the premiership of the day. i.e a who`s who of foreign players).
that was a bit stressfull i seem to remember, not knowing if he`d be there the following season.
on the pitch he was incredible, ronaldo does all these stupid `riverdance` type step overs then kicks the ball up the field and beats the man with pace, not skill.
barnes beat men with skill, infact xabi`s stepover in the recent derby reminded me of a barnes type trick.
it`s a pity every game back then wasnt recorded for tv like they are now, a lot of his best runs and tricks are just memories now.
superb player, probably the most exciting i`ve ever seen, i know a few people a bit older than me rate thompson as even better in terms of skill but certainly barnes is the most exciting player i`ve seen at anfield.

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 06:52:13 pm »

I don't doubt it. But I also don't understand that statement in response to my earlier comment.

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 06:56:00 pm »
I don't doubt it. But I also don't understand that statement in response to my earlier comment.

barnes was twice the player mcmanaman was
macca missed lots of easy chances, barnes used to pass it into the net

put barnes into our team now and we would be 15 points clear

Offline Cletus vanDamme

• Main Stander
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2009, 06:57:19 pm »
Great idea for a thread, Nick and so refreshing to see a positive thread in the LFC forum.
Digger for me was the second best (after King Kenny) player I've seen in a red shirt. Superb player and a lovely fella too.

Ditto

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 07:01:16 pm »
barnes was twice the player mcmanaman was
macca missed lots of easy chances, barnes used to pass it into the net

put barnes into our team now and we would be 15 points clear

OK mate.

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 07:02:39 pm »
Unbelievable player.  If Kaka is getting bids of £100m, then Digger would have been worth half a billion at his peak.  Even when he was fat and spent the entire game in the centre circle he was still better than any player we have now.  Messi is the only player in world football who is close to how good Barnes was in 87/88/89, and I'd happily argue that in terms of raw ability he's the best player we've had at the club.

I'm going to have to dig out my old 'The John Barnes Story' video and stick it on.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 07:07:56 pm »
Unbelievable player.  If Kaka is getting bids of £100m, then Digger would have been worth half a billion at his peak.  Even when he was fat and spent the entire game in the centre circle he was still better than any player we have now.  Messi is the only player in world football who is close to how good Barnes was in 87/88/89, and I'd happily argue that in terms of raw ability he's the best player we've had at the club.

I'm going to have to dig out my old 'The John Barnes Story' video and stick it on.

i agree that messi is the only current player who is close to barnes

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2009, 07:12:06 pm »
Up there with Souness in almost challenging the king for our best ever.

Unbelievable footballer, would be absolutely priceless today.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline 10barnes

• Anny Roader
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2009, 07:17:52 pm »
Is my fav liverpool player, loved the man.
Great skill and vision.
Watched The john barnes video so many times!
Walk on

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2009, 07:19:43 pm »
My favourite moment was the free kick against Pompey in 1992, which Whelan tapped in the rebound.

Just electrifying
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline hiphopdj

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2009, 07:33:23 pm »
Digger was ablsoluty class for us. He won games for us on his own.

If we had someone in his class this season and for the next few we would be unstobbable. Hopefully Torres will be that but Digger was a joy to watch. If their had been more tv coverage he would be more of a legend than he already is.

He puts that tosser from the Old Trafford to shame both on and off the field
For those of you watching in blue and white this is what a european cup looks like.

Offline freehandjunkie

• Anny Roader
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 07:34:51 pm »
one of, if not the finest player of his generation, an absolute magician with a gift from god, i could watch him play football all day and more, a true great and would easy fit into the greatest ever liverpool X1 and world X1, god he was so good and is a true gentleman to boot.....God imagine if we had him now? he should be involved in our academy, inspiring the youngsters..
baldrick i have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel!,,,,....

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 07:40:17 pm »
I remember having arguments in primary school about who was the best player in the world Maradona or Barnes, that's how good I remember him to be, and John Barnes was always the player i'd be when doing commentary on my play in FA singles.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline liverboy74

• Main Stander
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2009, 07:40:48 pm »

Top 3 mate.
'If a player isn't interfering with play or seeking to gain an advantage, then he should be !'

Offline Zaffarious

• likes 2 mins from the toilet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Militant Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 07:47:12 pm »
Is the reason i started supporting liverpool. There was no real role models for a young asian lad when i was growing up then i saw this guy in the red of liverpool vs everton . He was just amazing. He was my hero growing up i had his posters all over my wall.

Just loved him :D

Offline zimmie'5555

• passenger on an intergalactic spaceship... sometimes wishes he was a woman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 07:47:40 pm »
Great stuff Nick. My all time favourite player, remains the best player I've ever seen.

Offline SHOKSTAR

• Main Stander
  • we won it 5 times
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2009, 07:59:30 pm »
from the videos i see on youtube about liverpool in the 80's he was the standout player

he had a massive amount of skill, scored the best goals and gave a lot of terriffic assists

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2009, 08:15:57 pm »

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2009, 08:16:13 pm »
He was definitely my first football hero. Watching him was just so incredible, he made playing football look so easy.

I remember collecting those Panini football cards and remember literally fighting someone for John Barnes card. :D (I've still got my collection in almost mint condition. :)
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2009, 08:22:50 pm »
Don't know a lot about him, was he any good?