Author Topic: Awesome documentaries thread  (Read 280977 times)

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
Re: Awesome documentaries thread
« Reply #2000 on: July 30, 2022, 07:04:57 am »
For those interested in Liverpool amateur footy, there’s a boss video on You Tube called Sunday Best, which tells the story of all the local teams that have been Sunday League champions of England.

I was invested straight away, as the first Local team to win it was the Lobster from Crocky where I lived at the time, so I knew a few lads from the team, and just how good they were. The Oyster won it a few years later, and that was even more local to me.

It’s a fascinating hour and a half - no production values to speak of, just local managers and players talking about how much the competition meant to them, and what they went through to win it.

It’s boss, and it’s mad how good our local teams were / are on a national level.

Sounds good, have you got a link for it? a you tube search for "Sunday best' brings up loads n loads of music, but i cant seem to find a footy one
JFT 96

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2001 on: July 30, 2022, 08:07:43 am »
Watched this a few months back , I too knew lads in it and  really enjoyed it

https://youtu.be/m0jB8BgsSsY

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2002 on: July 30, 2022, 09:56:48 am »
I've just finished watching City of Angels. City of Death about a period from the 70s to the 80s in California where there were about a dozen serial killers active at the same time. And the efforts of the homicide detectives that brought them all down. It's incredible stuff. I had heard about a lot of them but never knew the actual stories. It's a fascinating watch. The trailer is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN_pkkb8EaI&ab_channel=Hulu

Just watched it. I never realised that so many serial killers operated in the same area in such a tight time frame.

What struck me was how the majority of victims were so young and made easy prey.

The one I couldn’t quite get my heard around was the Skid Row Slasher - was the man jailed innocent?

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #2003 on: July 31, 2022, 10:44:12 pm »
Whatever you do, don't watch the D.B. Cooper documentary on Netflix. What a fucking waste of time. It brings up nothing new about the case itself, it's more focussed on the people still trying to find out who D.B. Cooper is/was and them presenting their great theories. Two highlights were they were searching for Cooper's parachute in some wood in Oregon, because a couple said they knew how Cooper got away after he landed. Then in the search they find some piece of fabric and are convinced it's some part of the parachute or the harness, but then they give it to the FBI for analysis, after before whining about how the FBI has been fucking up and hindering the investigation. But even better is a "code-breaker" who analysed a letter allegedly sent by D.B. Cooper to a newspaper and he takes the sentence "and tell the cops my name is not D.B. Cooper" (or something like that). He took the letters and added up the numbers (a=1, b=2, etc) which gave him 269. For him that's evidence that some guy called Rob Rackshaw or whatever was D.B. Cooper and the sentence in the letter was code for "I'm Lt. Rob Rackshaw", because that sentence also gets you 269, if you add the numbers of the letters. Fucking mental...

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #2004 on: July 31, 2022, 10:49:45 pm »
Whatever you do, don't watch the D.B. Cooper documentary on Netflix. What a fucking waste of time. It brings up nothing new about the case itself, it's more focussed on the people still trying to find out who D.B. Cooper is/was and them presenting their great theories.

I watched one of the trailers, and the above was palpably obvious.

So I skipped it.

So much of modern television suffers from this sort of thing.

The legend of DB Cooper is incredibly interesting. What Joe Butthole, self-obsessed dorko from Montreat thinks, very much less so...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2005 on: July 31, 2022, 10:59:37 pm »
Sounds good, have you got a link for it? a you tube search for "Sunday best' brings up loads n loads of music, but i cant seem to find a footy one

Apologies mate - not on here that often, and as for being able to post a link…😂.

Fortunately, Gazzam has kindly provided one a couple of posts up. That’s the one - hope you enjoy it.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2006 on: July 31, 2022, 11:06:14 pm »
I watched one of the trailers, and the above was palpably obvious.

Yeah, I should have done my research beforehand. Just heard about it being out on Netflix recently, but nothing more and when I was bored earlier I decided to watch it. Did read some reviews on imdb afterwards and they are brutal (and some quite funny).

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2007 on: August 6, 2022, 12:23:45 am »
Ploughed through the 3 eps of Woodstock 1999 on netflix last night. Very entertaining fare.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2008 on: August 6, 2022, 04:32:53 pm »
Ploughed through the 3 eps of Woodstock 1999 on netflix last night. Very entertaining fare.

I watched that the other day.  I'd heard about it before, episode one was like 'well it's a bit shite but I don't get the reputation'.  Episode two, 'don't fancy going to that, fucking idiots'.  Episode three full on Sodom and Gomorrah. Like proper end of Earth type shite.

There have been times I've been on all sorts of things, luckily never drank my own shite though.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2009 on: August 7, 2022, 01:47:33 am »
Thought the Woodstock '99 doco was terrific. Of the promoters, Michael Lang comes across as a delusional, out-of-touch hippy and John Scher like the face of corrupt capitalism. The footage was great, the interviews with the crew and the media people were superb and I liked the fans they spoke to, at least one of which had clearly been definitely knee deep in the rioting.

Only thing it really could have done with was a bit more background on the surrounding culture and particularly Woodstock '94, which actually had a lot of similar issues without leading to the same level of violence and anarchy. Was also amused to see DMX not even mentioned, despite the Grauniad trying to set the narrative his was the defining performance of the weekend. But all in all, the best music documentary I've seen in ages, maybe even better than the 10-part Ken Burns history of country music.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #2010 on: August 7, 2022, 09:39:46 am »
Echoing the thoughts on the Woodstock documentary. So much short sightedness and clear abandonment of duty by the main organisers. Appalling really. It reminded me of the Fyre festival Doc from a few years back but I suppose at least this had music.

I kept waiting and waiting to see what profit it made as if that was going to be the final curtain, but it never came up. A cursory google brings these facts - it cost $38m to stage the entire event, and made $60m in ticket sales alone, not accounting for any merchandising, TV rights sales and VIP events etc. vendors paid $500 to pitch their stalls for the 4 days and then the gouging happened immediately.

So yes, it made a lot of money. And yes, it made enough profit whereby they could have massively improved and upgraded the facilities and welfare safeties and still have made money.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline SvenJohansen

• Fast single-handed action expert.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2011 on: August 13, 2022, 04:19:18 pm »
I've been listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd all day today bringing back memories and it's reminded me of a documentary I saw last year called If I Leave Here Tomorrow: A Film About Lynyrd Skynyrd. It's a brilliant doc/film and I'm wondering if anyone here has seen it but mostly if any of ye know where I can watch it again? I watched it on Netflix but I was using an American VPN then and I don't have that anymore. I've tried ymovies but it's not there. Gary Rossington gives us the full story from the early days up to present times. If you're a fan or even have a passing interest in the band you should watch this. If you find it please tell me where you got it ;)

Trailer here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jJToyR3uuw&ab_channel=JeanB.
I feel a little strange inside
A little bit of Jekyll, a little Mr. Hyde

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2012 on: August 15, 2022, 10:28:19 am »

I think the phrase "Frat Boys Being Dicks" summed it up perfectly. All those guys indulging their Lord of the Flies fantasies with added sexual assault will now be middle-class middle-management types with families. I guess you`re only young once? The promoters/organizers were a combination of naive and exploitative.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #2013 on: August 17, 2022, 04:55:14 am »
I've just finished watching City of Angels. City of Death about a period from the 70s to the 80s in California where there were about a dozen serial killers active at the same time. And the efforts of the homicide detectives that brought them all down. It's incredible stuff. I had heard about a lot of them but never knew the actual stories. It's a fascinating watch. The trailer is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN_pkkb8EaI&ab_channel=Hulu

thanks for the head's up

that was fucking horrific in a very interesting way

i've always had an interest in serial killers and have read a fair bit on them i guess

it was a fascinating series and as you point out, a lot of the focus is on the cops that solved every case, everyone of the fuckers get nailed eventually

what it also highlighted is how fucking culpable the justice system is, AFTER the cops have done their part, with facillitating this uber c*nts, some if it is fucking jaw-droppingly bad

one appalling highlight on that (shows littered with them to be honest)

Spoiler
even tho to me they had enough to convict the serial murderer imo (this involved a partnership of killers, one was bang to rights, the other less so), both sides of the law teams (including the DA) decided that the bang to rights one would be tried but his partner would have his case dropped (despite the fact they could place one of the victims at her time of torture to being sat in a leather chair in his front fucking room)

the judge basically told them in nice talk to go fuck themselves as he felt there was enough evidence to put him before a jury, so the trial would go ahead against both

they kidnapped, raped, tortured and murdered 10 women and girls ranging in age from 12 to 28 - and the prosecuting team including advise from the DA moved to dismiss all charges against the dude and set him free, even knowing they could prove the 7th victim was tied up and tortured in his fucking house????!!!

both were found guilty on all accounts apart from the very first victim, only attributed to the bang to rights guy

thank fuck the judge had something about him and did something that at the time i believe was unprecedented in making sure there was a trial even tho both legal teams were agreed on not going to trial on the partner
[close]
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 08:55:17 am by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2014 on: August 17, 2022, 12:31:54 pm »
You guys weren't kidding about the Woodstock documentary.  That was real end of days stuff, fucking hell.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #2015 on: August 17, 2022, 01:19:51 pm »
Whatever you do, don't watch the D.B. Cooper documentary on Netflix. What a fucking waste of time. It brings up nothing new about the case itself, it's more focussed on the people still trying to find out who D.B. Cooper is/was and them presenting their great theories. ...

Agreed - started out ok but binned it before it finished.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2016 on: August 17, 2022, 01:25:15 pm »
Was also amused to see DMX not even mentioned, despite the Grauniad trying to set the narrative his was the defining performance of the weekend. But all in all, the best music documentary I've seen in ages, maybe even better than the 10-part Ken Burns history of country music.

Oh, I thought I tuned into this Doc only the other day, but there was definitely quite a large section on DMX's performance.

Think the one I saw may have been on Sky docs.  Might go back and revisit it and watch it properly as I didn't know the background of this apparent shit-show.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2017 on: August 17, 2022, 01:42:50 pm »
Found it.  The Woodstock 99 doc I caught is on Sky Documentaries.  Its part of the HBO series of "Music Box" docs

It's called Woodstock 99: Peace, Love, and Rage

Looks very similar to the Netflix 3-parter you guys are talking about Trainwreck: Woodstock '99

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #2018 on: August 17, 2022, 02:04:55 pm »
You guys weren't kidding about the Woodstock documentary.  That was real end of days stuff, fucking hell.

"Oh my God, some people had had, like, 4 beers before 11!"

A British airport Wetherspoons at 8am would blow her mind.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2019 on: August 17, 2022, 02:33:08 pm »
"Oh my God, some people had had, like, 4 beers before 11!"

A British airport Wetherspoons at 8am would blow her mind.

:lmao

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2020 on: August 17, 2022, 10:58:35 pm »
Thought the Woodstock '99 doco was terrific. Of the promoters, Michael Lang comes across as a delusional, out-of-touch hippy and John Scher like the face of corrupt capitalism. The footage was great, the interviews with the crew and the media people were superb and I liked the fans they spoke to, at least one of which had clearly been definitely knee deep in the rioting.

Yeah, liked the people they got to talk to except that one lady who was there at the age of 14 or so and who's now working as a PR person or something like that. She was very annoying and didn't have really anything to say...

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #2021 on: September 20, 2022, 02:12:47 pm »
Mostly Netflix stuff but seen the following that were pretty good

Most Hated Man on the Internet
Girl in the Picture
Keep Sweet: Prey & Obey
Untold: (all of them)
Sins of our Mother
Running with the Devil : John McAfee story (this was a bit bonkers)

Others:

Chernobyl : Lost Tapes
Devil's Advocate
Mother Teresa : For the Love of God
Belushi

Currently watching VAL about Val Kilmer - impressed so far

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #2022 on: September 20, 2022, 05:35:10 pm »

Currently watching VAL about Val Kilmer - impressed so far

Watched this over the weekend... Thought it was a hell of a docu  8)  even if your a fan or not, well worth viewing.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14731254/
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2023 on: September 20, 2022, 07:24:24 pm »
Found it.  The Woodstock 99 doc I caught is on Sky Documentaries.  Its part of the HBO series of "Music Box" docs

It's called Woodstock 99: Peace, Love, and Rage

Looks very similar to the Netflix 3-parter you guys are talking about Trainwreck: Woodstock '99

Cheers for that, I'll give that one a look as well, loved the Netflix one. It's funny to see that era now that we are so far removed from it

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2024 on: September 20, 2022, 08:07:42 pm »
Cheers for that, I'll give that one a look as well, loved the Netflix one. It's funny to see that era now that we are so far removed from it

So far removed from 1999!

Fuck me. I saw the original 1969 Woodstock film at the flicks in Allerton Road.

That’s an era we are so removed from. :D

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2025 on: September 20, 2022, 08:15:01 pm »
So far removed from 1999!

Fuck me. I saw the original 1969 Woodstock film at the flicks in Allerton Road.

That’s an era we are so removed from. :D

Ha! It's true though, I was the same age as those festival goers and it's like a slice of ancient history now  ;D

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #2026 on: September 20, 2022, 08:58:09 pm »
Watched this over the weekend... Thought it was a hell of a docu  8)  even if your a fan or not, well worth viewing.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14731254/

Agree, superb doc

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2027 on: September 21, 2022, 08:55:31 pm »
Nice wee doc called “Travellin’ Band” about Creedence Clearwater Revival. Narrated by Jeff Bridges, interviews with the band from 1970 culminating in a gig at the Royal Albert Hall. John Fogerty wrote some amazing songs, great voice & the band was tight! Oh, it’s on Netflix.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2028 on: October 1, 2022, 07:32:10 pm »
Been continuing with a recent pattern of watching documentaries from the genre:  "Just how fucking batshit crazy and religion obsessed are Americans these days, and how exactly did they get this stoopid?"

Latest 2 were:

Tread: A disaffected tenant of a small town with a big chip on his shoulder converts a bulldozer into an 84-ton armoured tank so he can carry out God's will and wreck the property of everyone who's ever offended him. No, really.

Sins of the mother: Lunatic religious nut pairs up with another god botherer and starts rating everyone she knows within the categories of either light or dark spirits. And everyone knows that dark spirits need to die, even if they're in your own family.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #2029 on: October 1, 2022, 09:00:20 pm »
Watched a 4 part docu last night... (4 x 45 mins).. '11 Minutes'   2017 Mass shooting in Las Vegas at a Country & Western Festival

Through emotional first-hand accounts and never-before-seen archival footage, immerses viewers inside the largest mass shooting in our country's history.
A story of survival at what was supposed to be a festival celebrating country music.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt22042292/?ref_=fn_al_tt_0
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #2030 on: October 3, 2022, 11:59:54 am »
Been continuing with a recent pattern of watching documentaries from the genre:  "Just how fucking batshit crazy and religion obsessed are Americans these days, and how exactly did they get this stoopid?"

Latest 2 were:

Tread: A disaffected tenant of a small town with a big chip on his shoulder converts a bulldozer into an 84-ton armoured tank so he can carry out God's will and wreck the property of everyone who's ever offended him. No, really.

Sins of the mother: Lunatic religious nut pairs up with another god botherer and starts rating everyone she knows within the categories of either light or dark spirits. And everyone knows that dark spirits need to die, even if they're in your own family.

Tread is excellent

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #2031 on: October 7, 2022, 09:19:44 am »
Watched the 1st 2 episodes of Aftershock : Everest & Nepal Earthquake (Netflix);  brilliant but harrowing and an unexpected little subplot at end of episode 2 which could be interesting.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #2032 on: October 7, 2022, 12:21:17 pm »
just finished watching the ken burns documentary muhammed ali - coming in at around 6 hours minus adverts - on the freeview channel pbs america

no need to tell you lot how great he was - certainly the greatest - but if it wasn't for his deep belief in his muslim faith he could have held more titles and therefore could have had an even greater boxing legacy (would that be possible?)

i know we have to separate the man from the art but i was disappointed that contrary to his commitment to his faith on a political ethical and racial stage, his commitment to the faithfulness of marriage and relationships wasn't as big as concern as he was a serial womaniser with many affairs, children to other women and even seeing 2 or 3 women at a time - that's shameful

how can you hold such a pious office yet behave sexually and immorally basically like an infidel to his faith

the documentary shows how beautiful and majestic boxing can be - yet also how brutal and violent it is in its purest form

of course it also goes into detail about his faith, his philosophy and his wit and intelligence

yes, he was a showman (influenced by a wrestler) and craved publicity but he was also a figurehead of both the black community and the muslim faith - though his allegiance to the nation of islam is problematic and possibly misplaced

cracking documentary and i'm watching the movie 'ali' (with will smith) next but i'm starting to think it may not live up to the actual real life of 'the greatest'
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2033 on: October 12, 2022, 12:51:47 pm »

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2034 on: October 12, 2022, 02:56:01 pm »
Watched a 4 part docu last night... (4 x 45 mins).. '11 Minutes'   2017 Mass shooting in Las Vegas at a Country & Western Festival

Through emotional first-hand accounts and never-before-seen archival footage, immerses viewers inside the largest mass shooting in our country's history.
A story of survival at what was supposed to be a festival celebrating country music.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt22042292/?ref_=fn_al_tt_0

Ugh, it's on Paramount Plus. All these streaming services are doing my head in now.

Anyway that looks interesting - it was surprising how this story just dropped out of the public eye seemingly. Was it because country music festivals and gun control protests don't mix? Or because the powers that be  in Las Vegas wanted it swiftly forgotten about?

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #2035 on: October 12, 2022, 03:20:37 pm »
just finished watching the ken burns documentary muhammed ali - coming in at around 6 hours minus adverts - on the freeview channel pbs america

no need to tell you lot how great he was - certainly the greatest - but if it wasn't for his deep belief in his muslim faith he could have held more titles and therefore could have had an even greater boxing legacy (would that be possible?)

i know we have to separate the man from the art but i was disappointed that contrary to his commitment to his faith on a political ethical and racial stage, his commitment to the faithfulness of marriage and relationships wasn't as big as concern as he was a serial womaniser with many affairs, children to other women and even seeing 2 or 3 women at a time - that's shameful

how can you hold such a pious office yet behave sexually and immorally basically like an infidel to his faith

the documentary shows how beautiful and majestic boxing can be - yet also how brutal and violent it is in its purest form

of course it also goes into detail about his faith, his philosophy and his wit and intelligence

yes, he was a showman (influenced by a wrestler) and craved publicity but he was also a figurehead of both the black community and the muslim faith - though his allegiance to the nation of islam is problematic and possibly misplaced

cracking documentary and i'm watching the movie 'ali' (with will smith) next but i'm starting to think it may not live up to the actual real life of 'the greatest'

Just reading Ali: A Life: by Jonathan Eig so might watch try and watch this afterwards

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #2036 on: October 12, 2022, 11:44:36 pm »
Ten Dollar Death Trip on Netflix about the fentanyl addiction in Vancouver. Proper, proper eye opener with real access to real people. Some really hard to watch scenes.

I would have enjoyed seeing more from the police side or from the government side, but it was still raw as hell. Bit of a cliche, but would have loved to see the documentary Theroux would have made with these people.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #2037 on: October 13, 2022, 08:36:23 am »
Just reading Ali: A Life: by Jonathan Eig so might watch try and watch this afterwards

the good thing also about it is that you see him talk about issues (and boxers and boxing) - so from the horse's mouth so to speak rather than second hand reporting of events
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2038 on: October 16, 2022, 01:07:04 pm »
the good thing also about it is that you see him talk about issues (and boxers and boxing) - so from the horse's mouth so to speak rather than second hand reporting of events
New Adam Curtis incoming. This sounds really good and really depressing: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/oct/12/russia-adam-curtis-extreme-capitalism-liz-truss-traumazone

This is great, much better than his last couple. It's a depressing and awful story obviously. As usual some of the footage dug out is mesmerising. Annoying they hide him away on iPlayer these days though.

Being British is pretty crap (especially right now) but being Russian seems genuinely hellish. Everything in your society collapses. And every time there's a chink of light and the hope that things might improve for them, it's just the beginning of everything getting much, much worse. Again.

EDIT: to be honest I made it sound exactly like being British, obviously the depth of the dystopian nightmare Russia descended to makes us look like a model of success and sanity.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 01:13:39 pm by Father Ted »

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2039 on: October 31, 2022, 01:19:24 pm »
"Each episode comprises a 60-minute montage of carefully selected footage from thousands of hours of raw video, shot or sourced by BBC Moscow’s staff – much of it never seen before."

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/VRZagEpiB08" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/VRZagEpiB08</a>
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.