Author Topic: Domain registration and hosting  (Read 5995 times)

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Domain registration and hosting
« Reply #40 on: June 9, 2007, 08:35:03 pm »
I used netfirms for all mines, 25 quid for a domain for a year and 3 months hosting on a unix/windows business server

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2008, 07:45:26 pm »
So who do people recommend these days?  I have a hosting and domain for my local club registered with freeyellow.com but they don't do forwarding for free. Their support is excellent though so this is a pity. 

I have my own domain registered with 123-reg.co.uk and forward the URL to my blog which is handy and free.  The thing is I have now been asked to do a couple of little sites for others and I have noticed 123-reg support is awful so I don't want to use them. 

Can anyone advise a good company that will do the hosting and/or domain registration with free forwarding (if necessary) and that has a reasonable support infrastructure.  I am not building sites that the world depends upon...yet ;)... but if others are going to pay for them I would like to be confident they can get support if needed.  Cheers
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 07:47:00 pm by omerta »
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it"  George Bernard Shaw

radiofc.com | last.fm | soundcloud | @radiofc

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2008, 08:47:38 pm »
I use Godaddy, but mainly it has to be said because they're cheap :)
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline cj

• didn't get where he is today without becoming a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2008, 09:01:43 pm »
Same as Armin, and for the same reason.

I use webair for hosting. They are rather large in the adult area so  there's not much censorship.

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2008, 10:10:45 pm »
cheers for that folks.  registered a site on there now. seems fairly straightforward and helpful FAQ section too.  they accept paypal which is handy.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it"  George Bernard Shaw

Offline markay_stinkay

• Legacy Fan
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Bet £50, get £50 free
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2009, 09:50:29 pm »
So 18 months on from the last post, who would people reccommend for hosting and a domain for my sunday league team? Only gonna be a basic site with fixtures, results, league tables etc. so I expect bandwidth to be low, but it may be increased with the viewing of match galleries. Looking for the cheapest option really but deffo ad free.

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2009, 09:49:52 am »
I'd still stand by godaddy all the way

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2009, 04:08:38 pm »
If you are looking for PHP based hosting. HostGator are good. They use the CPanel too so you can do virtually everything yourself, no limits. Unlike Fasthosts.

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2009, 12:47:41 am »
You do know there is no such thing as a disk with unlimited space right?

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2009, 02:51:37 pm »
You do know there is no such thing as a disk with unlimited space right?

I mean no limits on things like A/MX/CNAME record changes etc.......
I was with Fasthosts once and they basically lock it all down, if you want to do advanced DNS they suggest you use a ZoneEdit account. lol

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2011, 06:18:53 pm »
anyone used that JustHostMe?

I need a drupal/wordpress kind of set up....and its like £40 for its basic set up, per year....which is do-able.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #51 on: July 6, 2011, 08:35:07 pm »
I'll probably go with Godaddy to register my website name, but whats the story with this WHOIS lark? I begrudge having to pay to keep my details private, so can I just put false details in there or do the details have to match my credit card details?
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #52 on: July 7, 2011, 02:24:24 pm »
I use Network Solutions and have had no problems with them whatsoever. When I did have an issue i managed to get help quickly and promptly over the phone and by email. I cannot comment on other peoples experience but my own and it has all been very positive.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #53 on: July 7, 2011, 06:58:01 pm »
www.poldings.co.uk

...use them for all my sites...ultra reliable and good prices.
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: December 8, 2021, 02:21:23 pm »
Guys, after some basic info please

I want to buy a domain name for a future project.  Im not interested in hosting a website with the domain name just yet. I just want to get the domain.

What i don't understand is - The domain is available if i go to GoDaddy, namecheap, domain.com etc.  I could buy the domain literally anywhere

Where I'm getting confused is, where do the companies mentioned above get the domain from?  And how does it then get registered to me so nobody else can use it?  Where is the ownership info stored?

Or is it a case that the domain I want simply doesn't exist (yet)?.  And I am paying for GoDaddy (or whoever) to register it for 1 to 10 years in my name?

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: December 8, 2021, 02:43:04 pm »
Ok so I googled it.  Sorry guys, I just like asking on RAWK first on these types of things. So am i reading this right?

The likes of GoDaddy, Name cheap etc are the "Domain Registrars".  Like a domain name broker I suppose?

But the actual "domain name registry" is where the domain info is stored and these are run by companies such as - Verisign (.com) Nominet (.co.uk) etc. 

SO... if I buy Evertonarebitterbastards.co.uk from say, GoDaddy.  They would charge me £x per year and register my domain name, in this case with Nominet (and pay them much less than what they charge me obv).

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #56 on: December 8, 2021, 02:51:54 pm »
Yup, you've answered your own question.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: December 8, 2021, 03:01:31 pm »
Yup, you've answered your own question.

Yeah cheers Craig.  Glad i got it right.  Intersteing as ive never gave it much thought.

Ok how about this mate.

Just looking on whois.domaintools.com for the info on a domain name i had a few years ago and was used on a website I hosted with WIX. The domain name in question is registered with GoDaddy but seems to be registered on WIX name servers.

NS4.WIXDNS.NET (has 6,852,762 domains)
NS5.WIXDNS.NET (has 6,852,762 domains)

Lets say I now want to build a new website on a hosting platform away from Wix and use the original domain name with this website. What would I have to do?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: December 8, 2021, 03:02:22 pm »
Yeah, the registrar informs the registry, some more about DNS here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72snZctFFtA

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #59 on: December 8, 2021, 03:07:18 pm »
Ok how about this mate.

Just looking on whois.domaintools.com for the info on a domain name i had a few years ago and was used on a website I hosted with WIX. The domain name in question is registered with GoDaddy but seems to be registered on WIX name servers.

NS4.WIXDNS.NET (has 6,852,762 domains)
NS5.WIXDNS.NET (has 6,852,762 domains)

Lets say I now want to build a new website on a hosting platform away from Wix and use the original domain name with this website. What would I have to do?

Your new host would have their own name servers that you'd point your domain at (in other words you'd change them).

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: December 8, 2021, 03:12:58 pm »
Your new host would have their own name servers that you'd point your domain at (in other words you'd change them).

ah ok. So i wouldn't have to go and request Wix remove them off their name servers or anything?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #61 on: December 8, 2021, 03:18:05 pm »
ah ok. So i wouldn't have to go and request Wix remove them off their name servers or anything?

Nah. You may have to ask GoDaddy to unlock them if they are preventing them being changed (in my experience they're normally able to be edited as standard rather than being locked) and is then a case of just putting the right ones in from the new host.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: December 8, 2021, 03:21:09 pm »
Cheers Craig (and Claire)

I'm much clearer now. :)