Author Topic: Spyin Kop - Liverpool v Crystal Palace Saturday 05th October  (Read 11313 times)

Offline thew

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Spyin Kop - Liverpool v Crystal Palace Saturday 05th October
« on: October 2, 2013, 07:37:43 pm »

Liverpool v Crystal Palace

Saturday 05th October

Anfield

Kick Off: 3pm

This Saturday sees Liverpool play host to Crystal Palace at Anfield. Liverpool will be desperate to keep to winning ways – coming into the game on the back of a good away win at Sunderland, sitting a credible 2nd in the table, with 13 points from 6 games so far this season. Last out Palace lost away to Southampton (the less said about Southampton the better) and sit 2nd from bottom with a solitary win – although unquestionably robbed of other results, not least by a diving Ashley Young.

November 2004, the last time this league fixture was played at Anfield. Won 3-2 thanks to a hat-trick from… … … Milan Baros! Baros bagged a 90th minute penalty-spot winner  to avoid a Joonas Kolkka inspired bananaskin.

Of all the players at Anfield that day, only Speroni remains at his club. Speroni was yet to break into the Palace first team, having joined the club that season. Fast forward to 2013 and he is most experienced player in the team with nearly 300 first team appearances for the Eagles to his name; a stark reminder of just how long they have been out of the top flight.

To get the view of some Palace fans before the game, I roped in some of the Selhurst faithful to share their thoughts - enjoy  :wave

1. Following on from an incredible season last season that culminated in the defeat of rivals Brighton in the play-off semi-final, and a last gasp winner from Phillips in the play-off final - Crystal Palace have had a tough start to life in the Premiership – what are your thoughts on the season so far?

Putneyeagle1: It has been nothing other than expected – it was always going to be a tough ask, and as Olly has said the premiership has improved significantly since he was last there with Blackpool manager. We need to hang in there – to coin D-Ream things can only get better!

AM: It’s not been a great start in terms of points on the board, but we’ve competed against most sides and not been hammered yet….Win, lose or draw this season, Palace fans just need to enjoy being in the Premiership and get on with it, I’m still pinching myself.

Lombardo: The start hasn’t been great but we have to realise the class we are playing against now, it will be very hard to take points off teams. In our opening games we have played the likes of Spurs, Man U, Swansea and Southampton to name a few, so I would have expected us to be bottom 3 at this stage.

2. Given that points have been hard to come by so far, there have been inevitable calls for a change in manager – what are your thoughts on Holloway, and the job he has done since taking over from Dougie Freedman a year ago?

Putneyeagle1: Freedom would have never have made the offensive subs that Olly made in the second leg at the withdean with the game and tie scoreless, and for this reason I would stick with him regardless of what happens this season – I am pretty sure that this will not happen, but we have a massive plus in having good owners

AM: To be calling for Holloway to get the sack is ridiculous, take Wilfried Zaha out the equation and he got a very ordinary side up and out of the Championship.  Signing 16 players in the summer needs time to gel and chopping the manager who brought them in after 6 games would quite frankly be ludicrous.  Give him some time and drop the expectations.

Lombardo: Holloway deserves a lot of credit for steadying the ship after Freedman left Palace sitting top of the league. Holloway joined with increasing expectations, he has proved his worth by getting Palace promoted to the Premier League for the first time in 10 years. He deserves time to get his new squad to gel, with so many players brought in over the summer it was inevitable the season would start slowly.

3. June 2010 saw Palace saved from administration – how have the new owners acquitted themselves since, and what are the clubs ambitions for the future?

Putneyeagle1: Way ahead of schedule – a year ago I thought that fast forward a year, we could be in league 1, so to be in the promised land is to beyond my wildest dreams – some fans need to remember that

AM: They have been brilliant.  They were honest when they took over and said they wouldn’t be bank rolling the club and chucking millions at it, they have done it efficiently and without much fuss.  Huge change to the days of Goldberg and Simon Jordan, although someone needs to have a word with Parrish about his bonce. Shocking. 

Lombardo: The board done a great job appointing Holloway in the first place and it shows how stable they have made the club. Before the new owners arrived we wouldn’t have been able to appoint someone high profile like Holloway. The owners have developed the training ground and have plans to develop the stadium which can only help improve us and attract better players.

4. It’s been a while since the two clubs met, what are your best and worst memories from this fixture?

Putneyeagle1: Worst has to be listening on the radio as the goals rattled in Sept 89 – Best, fast forward 7 months, 4-3 at Villa Park and redemption – I can still remember as a 16 year old going past the Old Wembley on the football special, and disbelief that we would be there under a month later!

AM: Due to my age I don’t remember the 89/90s classics…most memorable for me would be Marco Reich’s finish when we beat the reigning European Champions in the League Cup at Selhurst Park in the mid 00’s. 
Worst memory – losing 6-1 at home to them on the first day of the season.

Lombardo: Best and worst memories both come from the 89 -90 season. Worst losing 9-0 at Anfield in John Aldridge’s last game for Liverpool. Aldridge come on just to take a penalty, which took the biscuit. Best memory was beating Liverpool 4-3 the same season to reach our first FA Cup Final, no one gave us a chance given the result at Anfield earlier in the season.

5. Which of your players have impressed you this season? Anyone not performed as well as expected?

Putneyeagle1: Some of our so called championship players have stepped up – Joel Ward and Dean Moxey in particular are playing several levels above their station – Disappointments? I don’t want to go down that road yet, but goals would be nice, and we need a man to hit the back of the net regularly

AM: Moxey and Ward have been solid, as has Jedinak in the middle of midfield.  Pleased with the signing of Puncheon, it’s a shame he isn’t on a permanent deal but he looks like he could open up a defence.  Main issue are the strikers, Chamakh, Jerome, Gayle, let’s be fair it’s not Premiership, but it’s the stongest we’ve had in years.

Lombardo: Dean Moxley has had a couple of standout performances at the back for Palace and Mile Jedinak has been brilliant in midfield.  We haven’t been attacking enough, so it is hard to see what the new strikers look like. Cameron Jerome and Jason Puncheon look like they have Premiership class and they could be so important for us.

6. On to the game now, who are the form players and danger men in your team – who has the potential to cause us problems on Saturday?

Putneyeagle1: We are probably going to try and bore you to death and go for 0-0! – I would say Dwight Gayle – He came within inches of us taking the Lead at The Theatre of Has Beens

AM: Tough question….Puncheon needs to have a good game and I would put him as our most dangerous.  We either go for it, push on and make Liverpool’s wide men defend, or we camp outside our box and try and hit them on the break.  I think it’ll be the latter.

Lombardo: Barry Bannon has only had a couple of games for us but he looks very comfortable on the ball and could make things happen. Cameron Jerome’s power and pace could cause some problems, he has been sub in his opening games and I’d like to see him start against Liverpool.

7. Which of our players (if any) has impressed so far this season, and who has the potential to cause you problems?

Putneyeagle1: How long have I got here?? All of them! In particular Sturridge and now Suarez has taken you to another level – it could be a long afternoon

AM: Coutinho.  What a great buy and I’m glad he isn’t playing this Saturday.  However, Sturridge has obviously had a great start to the campaign, add Suarez into the occasion and could be a long afternoon.

Lombardo: Sturridge and Suarez against Sunderland looked very impressive, their link up play is brilliant. They will get goals and scare most defences in the premiership. I think Brendan Rodgers deserves credit for changing the goal keeper, Mignolet has good presence and looks like he could hold the number spot for many years.

8. Who do you think will win the title this season, where do you think both Palace and Liverpool will finish?

Putneyeagle1: Am going to stick my neck out..Arsenal – Liverpool 5th, Palace 4th from bottom with a miraculous last day escape at The Cottage (we can but dream)

AM: Manchester City.  Ridiculous squad.  Liverpool – 6th.  I think Spurs will pip them to 5th but who wants Europa League football?  As for Palace we’ll keep fighting away at the bottom of the table, if we can beat the bottom 10 teams at home and pick up the odd win away 17th may well be possible.

Lombardo:
I am going for Manchester City to win the Premiership closely followed by Chelsea. I think Liverpool will finish 6th. As for Palace, bottom 3 realistically but maybe if the new signings gel 4th bottom..which would be brilliant.

9. It looks likely that we’ll continue with our 3-5-2 formation – how do you expect Holloway to line up the team, and who will be in the first 11?

Putneyeagle1: Probably the same as Saturday, with one upfront – we look a bit toothless at the moment, so we will pack the midfield – I cannot see where the goals are coming from!

Lombardo: He will line up in a way to try and stop Liverpool having too much possession in our own half. So a strong back 4 with Jedinak and Dikgacoi as the muscle in midfield. We will no doubt go for one up top probably Chamakh but I hope Cameron Jerome starts instead.

10. And finally, score predictions please.

Putneyeagle1:4-0 Liverpool – this result will not relegate us – Fulham at home next is massive!

AM: 3-0  Liverpool

Lombardo: My heart says 1-1 and my head says 2-0 to Liverpool. Either way a great away day at Anfield whatever the score!

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
Re: Spyin Kop - Liverpool v Crystal Palace Saturday 05th October
« Reply #1 on: October 2, 2013, 07:43:15 pm »
Good lads.

Hope they're right about the result.
Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline trenchtownrasta

• fairy anne
  • Kopite
  • you may say I'm a dreamer,but I'm not the only one
« Reply #2 on: October 2, 2013, 08:00:15 pm »
Cheers. Hopefully there is an absolute deluge of goals (I might be going to it.)
'Say what you like about deaf people'.

Offline cox3100

• Would love to congratulate Siralex.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • justice for the 96
« Reply #3 on: October 2, 2013, 08:14:59 pm »
love Spyin Kop

this one is one of the best.

seem a real decent bunch of lads aswell

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 2, 2013, 09:00:56 pm »
Delighted with an excellent Spyin' Kop. Thanks mate.
Yep.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #5 on: October 2, 2013, 09:06:00 pm »
A good SK. Thanks for doing it.

(5th/6th prediction seems in line with most miserable Rawkites)  ;)

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #6 on: October 2, 2013, 09:48:49 pm »
Cheers for that, really missed these.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #7 on: October 2, 2013, 09:54:52 pm »
I lived near Selhurst Park for a couple of months a couple of decades ago. Those Palace fans seem far better adjusted than anyone I met whilst living there.

Refreshingly twat free. Nice one.

Offline iRed

• Kopite
« Reply #8 on: October 2, 2013, 09:56:59 pm »
Missed these.  Thanks for posting it.   :)

Palace fans seem sound.  Some of the answers we get from fans of other clubs...  yikes.

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: October 2, 2013, 09:59:39 pm »
nice one, sound like a great bunch of fans.

Offline bravoco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never made the 1st team
« Reply #10 on: October 2, 2013, 10:30:33 pm »
Excellent. Great to see Spyin Kop back in business.

Offline PaisleyPrint

• Believer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 2, 2013, 11:08:10 pm »
Great, reasoned responses. 

Thanks for taking the time to do post. :)

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 2, 2013, 11:11:47 pm »
Thanks for posting this.  I missed these.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 3, 2013, 10:09:41 am »
"Worst losing 9-0 at Anfield in John Aldridge’s last game for Liverpool. Aldridge come on just to take a penalty, which took the biscuit."

;D

Great stuff. Seem like a good bunch. :)

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #14 on: October 3, 2013, 10:42:53 am »
Always enjoy these, hope we play our part in getting their predicted result.
« Last Edit: October 3, 2013, 10:57:23 am by Red-juvenated »
Doubters to Believers

Offline Hoenheim

• Legacy Fan
  • Lovely cushioned header for Gerrard...
« Reply #15 on: October 3, 2013, 11:10:15 am »
I've missed the spying kop, great read.
I love Emre Can more than both of my children. Fact

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #16 on: October 3, 2013, 11:36:35 am »
Good stuff, thanks thew.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 3, 2013, 11:42:41 am »
Ah! A Spyin' Kop - luvverly.

Didn't sound half bad them Palace fans.

Thanks mate.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 3, 2013, 11:49:08 am »
A sound bunch, these palace fans. Enjoyable read.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 3, 2013, 03:08:16 pm »
Thanks Thew. & thanks to the palace boys.

Interesting the players they picked.

Mignolet, Sturridge , Coutinho & Suarez.
It's going to be bloody marvelous when those 4 are all fit.

Offline Cre_mCr_cker

• Green A_my!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 3, 2013, 03:35:58 pm »
Nice to see an Exeter boy Dean Moxey getting so much praise and performing in the Premier League. He was always better than Exeter City but I never thought he'd be a starting premier league player.
This is a Liverpool forum. We are not talking about Demba Ba's cock.

My feet are wet but my cups are bone dry! Everything's comin' up Milhouse!

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 3, 2013, 04:08:59 pm »
What a nice bunch they seemed.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 3, 2013, 04:09:29 pm »
Thanks thew, a really good read. Decent bunch of people answering questions honestly. Although I think they're all wrong about our final league position  :D
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #23 on: October 3, 2013, 04:14:24 pm »
Those "where will Liverpool finish" predications are a bit conservative for my liking :P

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #24 on: October 3, 2013, 04:14:57 pm »
Nice to the SK back - and a good one too. Puncheon's a good player. He's the one who might cause us a bit of bother.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #25 on: October 3, 2013, 04:15:49 pm »
Thanks. Nice to see Spyin Kop making it's first appearance this season.
YWNA

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 3, 2013, 04:18:38 pm »
Wow, how long has it been since a group of opposition fans actually came across as decent blokes?  I usually enjoy Spyin' Kop, but more to laugh at the bitterness or delusions of Stoke/Chelsea/Sunderland fans or whoever, but they come across well.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #27 on: October 3, 2013, 04:35:19 pm »
Missed these Spyin Kops very much!  Great job, thew!
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 3, 2013, 04:37:04 pm »
Spyin' Kop's back!!  :D
Thank you thew.  :wave

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #29 on: October 3, 2013, 04:56:49 pm »
Excellent Spyin Kop. I have been missing these this season so this is a refreshing and an enjoyable read.

I am with Siannn on this one, a wee bit conservative on our placing but that is to be expected I suppose.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 3, 2013, 05:10:28 pm »
Spyin kop is back yayyyy!

Seemed a decent bunch of lads there, not a bellwhiff among them!!   :)

With regards to our final league position, 6th seems to be the general consensus among my non Liverpool supporting mates. We'll see!
« Last Edit: October 3, 2013, 05:31:47 pm by jed the red »

Offline thew

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 3, 2013, 05:52:57 pm »
Thanks lads - always loved the SK myself - and promised to do one a few seasons back which never materialized due to something or other... and like a returning POW desperate to return the bicycle, I just had to get it done.

Cheers to the Palace boys, they are now thinking they should have given us some grief after all - but I agree - its very refreshing not to have the usual old shite! One of them is my brother - so fair play for all the nice comments... he's a good lad - but one thing to warn you about - he's got a massive pair of thumbs...I think we all know what that means.

Offline Scouserpool

• Legacy Fan
  • https://twitter.com/Thommas86
« Reply #32 on: October 3, 2013, 06:35:45 pm »
THis is great! I've missed SK! Thanks!
PSN: delete_one

"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later." Bob Paisley

"I want to use the incredible support to make coming to Anfield the longest 90 minutes of an opponent’s life." Brendan Rodgers

Offline Lee1970

• Anny Roader
« Reply #33 on: October 3, 2013, 06:57:38 pm »
Great edition of this fantastic thread, the Palace lads sound decent and balanced with their views...hope their predictions are correct :)

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #34 on: October 3, 2013, 07:03:15 pm »
Probably one of the best ive read, nice one mate.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #35 on: October 3, 2013, 08:20:45 pm »
Good guys.

Personally I think they might have more of a chance than they think.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #36 on: October 3, 2013, 08:32:58 pm »
Brilliant that people take the time to put theses together

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 3, 2013, 08:42:09 pm »
Wouldn't say its that conservative to be honest, though I think we will finish higher. Its not surprising if people think at least 4 of City, United, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal will finish above us.

Offline StrikingMidfield

• Legacy Fan
  • A red and green heart
« Reply #38 on: October 4, 2013, 06:52:30 am »
Love reading these. Sound like a very sound set of fans. Hope they know they're stuff about the scoreline predictions  ;D
Liverpool FC - Seattle Sounders FC

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 4, 2013, 07:06:21 am »
Well done. I always enjoyed this Spyin Kop thread. Theatre of has beens, loved that line.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/