Author Topic: Rawk Preview: Aston Villa v Liverpool, Saturday 24th August  (Read 65223 times)

Offline Scouse-Con

• Anny Roader
  • We Are The Legionnaires Expect Us.
Re: Rawk Preview: Aston Villa v Liverpool, Saturday 24th August
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2013, 05:02:00 pm »
I'd like to see Borini make a start on the bench, maybe come on mid second half if we're struggling to score. He was boss last night in the U21s against United scored a belter free kick.
Knowledge Is Free.
We Are Anonymous.
We Are Legion.

We Do Not Forgive.
We Do Not Forget.
Expect Us.

Offline ab9

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2013, 05:06:38 pm »
Villa will face Chelsea on Wednesday night before facing us on the weekend, and that would be 3 "difficult" games for them. I was really impressed with them against Arsenal, where their midfield really pressed well and complemented their attack consisting of Benteke, Agbonlahor and Weimann. It will be a much different test for us compared to Stoke, but I am positive we will pull this one off. Lucas will be the key for me, to shield in our defense against a very potent Villa attack.

Roll on Saturday! 

Offline kkjellquist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2013, 05:10:20 pm »
Toure played against Bentenke twice last season.  Once in the league cup and one league game.  Bentenke did not score in either game.  I didn't watch either game and have no idea how Toure defended him.....just saying.  TAW mentioned him constantly talking to Crouch, and hopefully Toure can play a great physicial and mental game against a striker who had his way with us last season.
"Statistics are like bikinis—they show a lot but not everything." - Lou Piniella

Offline Stringer123

• Kopite
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2013, 05:13:23 pm »
It's nice to have some football in all this transfer window nonsense. I wish they changed the deadline to before the first game of the season, but oh well.

I think we'll win. We play well when we're away from home, Kolo will deal with Benteke really well I reckon (since Kolo is boss) and hopefully Villa will be tired after facing Chelsea in midweek. Hopefully Cissokho will start and Alberto gets a bit of a run out, I think he's a very classy player.

I'm going to go for a 2-0 win, Aspas and Sturridge grabbing one each.

Offline sparrowred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2013, 05:20:41 pm »
Despite us scoring just the one goal last week, I saw a lot more incision than before against a team that will sit back and counter. Aspas and Toure are the 2 key players for me. Aspas was very bright on Saturday and I can see him creating or scoring at least a goal. Toure has to get a handle on Benteke, and apparently did a good job of it against him last season.

Does anyone think we should take more short corners against Villa, knowing how quick and effective they are countering off them? I recall one counter of Stoke's in the opening minutes that Villa would have done much better with if it was them.

Offline cyador

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2013, 05:22:49 pm »
???

I think we've taken more points off Villa than any other PL team. Our record at Villa Park is fantastic.

Was talking more about last season, when Lambert and Rodgers arrived. The way Lambert sets out his teams to counter attack, its always going to make it a tough match for a rodgers managed team, purely because our styles biggest weakness are also villas biggest strengths.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2013, 05:35:33 pm »
Good opening post CRK3oI.
I think we're amazing and Villa will burn into ashes under the blaze of our thousand suns.
Oh and I can't, can't, can't wait for another Liverpool game.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2013, 05:38:21 pm »
Thanks Corky. Agree with your assessment of Villa as a club (which is why the match always feels big), your comments on Lambert as a player, and where their principal threat lies now.

Benteke is a superb player. It's not just hype. But we played him dreadfully at Anfield last season. I imagine that match - and not the Man City one - was the moment when Brendan Rodgers decided that Skrtel wasn't going to be good enough. Kolo Toure needs to get tight to him and keep tight. He was allowed to turn without a challenge by Skrtel and we paid the price. Lucas is also stronger now and we don;'t have Joe Cole in the team to gift possession to them (or, for that matter, Luis Suarez who's irresponsible back-heel set the ball rolling for Villa at Anfield last season).

I'm looking forward to the game, I expect a few scares, I know we'll collect three points.

"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline chevronla

• Kemlynite
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2013, 05:49:00 pm »
was pretty confident before the weekend about this fixture but the whole dynamic has now changed and this has all of a sudden become quite a difficult fixture. I though we'd see a similar Villa to what they showed last year and was surprised with their result at the Emirates. hopefully Arsenal are just going to be Villa's boon team like us last year.

the obvious threat lies with Benteke and Agbonlahor, the former looks like an absolute beast, very complete and all round player, perhaps his only weakness is a lack in pace. all the rest is there, touch, heading, power and a great finisher. the latter blows hot and cold but he has the potential to threat. I always hate playing against Steven Ireland as well, seems to have a knack for arriving in the right place at the right time. Guzan also seemed to have a decent game at the weekend and with the unfortunate proclivity that GK's seemed to have picked up when playing against us he'll probably have a blinder.

On a more positive note i quite fancy Chelsea to do them at Stamford Bridge, maybe even quite comfortably given the size of the Chelsea back for and their ability to nullify the aerial threat and strength of Benteke.

Encouragingly for us Toure looks like and absolute beast, read the game well and nicked in to intercept crouch on numerous occasions. Our defense will hopefully be set up differently this year so we shouldn't play in to their hands as easily. i'd stick with the same line-up as the weekend but with a slightly different shape.

Mignolet
                                                              Johnson --  Toure  ---   Agger  --  Enrique

Lucas    Gerrard

Henderson

Aspas                                Coutinho
                                                                                      Sturridge

in the return fixture last year henderson made the different in the midfield and i think his energy is best utilized when played through the middle, he also compensates for the lack of energy with gerrard and lucas. I'd play Gerrard as a deep lying playmaker for extra cover. Although i don't think Villa are too great in midfield they have a fair bit of energy and legs in there.

was very impressed with Aspas on Saturday, he didn't set the world alight but he seemed very composed, keen to receive the ball and provided a fair bit of energy, he didnt look ideal trying to link the game up in the 10 role and wouldn't want him playing there long term but he made a fairly good account of himself.

i think we should really be able to control the game with the additional quality we possess and hopefully we'll be able to convert that into goals. one things for sure is we can create chance, hopefully were not to wasteful, it's also worth considering that before Villa get up a head of steam, they did score to goals from peno's and the third came from horrendous defending. i'm going for a cheeky 1-0 win with Gerrard scoring.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2013, 05:51:57 pm »
One interesting thing about this is that the villa fans in their main forum are expecting to be thrashed in the midweek Chelsea game. After the 8-0 they suffered not so long back against the plastics, the last thing they should be doing is rolling over for that. Will they field a weakened team for their drubbing in the hope of a better result against us? Have some pride Brummies. Play like your lives depend on it, so you are knackered for the Saturday game with us, and Rodgers can really go to town with the super-subbing, giving Sterling the final goal of the match, weaving around your weary defenders legs. I take little interest in other teams games, but will try to watch theirs Wednesday, supporting the Villains before normal service is resumed for Saturday.
As a footnote, I was born on the 5th of October 1963, the day after Gerry and the pacemakers released You'll Never Walk Alone. It was a Saturday. On that very day we beat Villa 5-2. My dad and my Uncles had to miss the match for Auntie Joans wedding, so they were all gathered around the radio at the reception. The beer flowed. Dad came home late and drunk to find he was the father of his third boy. As the nearest match to the half century date between these two teams, I will be watching with special interest!.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 06:00:04 pm by markedasred »
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2013, 06:00:31 pm »
Have we got the man utd after villa?
Imagine winning those 2 games, confidence would be unreal                 or losing both.........

Offline Weytske

• Anny Roader
  • Peerless
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2013, 06:13:18 pm »
Personally I think we'll have some problems if we play the same way we played Stoke. We left too much space that Stoke didn't use and couldn't keep the ball decently in the second half. Of course BR will have a slightly different approach and I'm curious how it will be!

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2013, 06:20:38 pm »
Looking at the highlights of the Arsenal win , IMO Villa won it in the middle of the park by been first to the ball and hunting in packs full of aggression and hitting on the counter

We need to win the middle of the park and stand up to their aggression with our own

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2013, 07:00:27 pm »
Expecting a much tougher test than Stoke - who let's face it, came for a point and only down to not finishing our chances, almost got it!

Villa will be bang up for this, on a high after beating Arsenal, Benteke scoring already, things looking much brighter for them than at the end of last season. We need to ensure they don't take the game to us early on and try and win the possession whilst remaining compact to deny them the space they crave.

Don't see any reason to change the side.

Think it will be a pretty good game.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline artanis

• Legacy Fan
  • It is what it is.
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2013, 07:05:31 pm »
Glad Moyes is not managing Villa

rough schedule

Arsenal away
Chelsea away
Liverpool home

Anyway, they have a thin squad. Hopefully they will be way tired on Saturday after an evening Wednesday game v. Chelsea.

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2013, 07:08:49 pm »
Our attack needs to click in this one - we need finishing and goals. Because we're almost certainly going to let in one or two.

It will be impressive, and a bit shocking, if we keep a clean sheet.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2013, 07:18:20 pm »
The fixture list has been kind to us, Stoke at home to start then Villa away who have played Chelsea midweek. We really should be taking all three points from this.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2013, 07:36:45 pm »

If we can stop the counter attacks and keep Benteke quiet we win, we can definitely dominate the ball and cause them problems but they are like the classic knockout puncher with a glass jaw- either side could win 3-1

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2013, 09:03:08 pm »
Great stuff corkboy, I know what you mean about Benteke, I'm certain he won't be a one-season-wonder and he is likely to create his own controversial transfer window soon enough once the 'bigger'' teams decide they've seen enough and proceed to do to Villa what everyone else seems to be doing to each other. As someone said last night, lets throw a cheeky bid at them on Saturday lunchtime :D.

When it comes to other teams and/or other managers I can find myself to be a bit of a bitter twat, but I've never hated Villa. Not that I can recollect anyway. Not even during the John Gregory years like some people seemed to - he just didn't bother me.

Then when they have a young ambitious team with a manager I can relate to Brendan, well I'll wish them good luck after Sunday despite causing me much pain and anguish last season.

I long for the days when I don't worry going in to games. Benteke is as much a threat as many teams in the PL have, they're all going to worry me, but that big get is a bit special and so I hope our freshened approach will do better than cope. I hope we can control and nullify him and his mates. So again, I'd have Henderson starting just to help with the energy, in fact it would be same again for me.

McGrath was an admirable player indeed, he read the game brilliantly. But our Kolo's knee's are far from ruined, nah, he'll fucking have them.

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2013, 09:06:50 pm »
Here is my twopenneth

Match Day 1 – Recap

Liverpool v Stoke (1-0)

A strong solid performance, with a few bumps on the way – although that was to be expected really. We looked dangerous from set plays – Gerrard in particular having looked to have improved at his corner deliveries – getting the ball in the back of the net (although disallowed for offside) and hitting the crossbar. Some of the clever flicks and dummies didn't come off but in time as everyone gets up to speed and get used to each other this will come. We got a good goal, and should have had a few more were it not for the quality of Begovic, defended well, and Mignolet made a great double save in the 87th minute to deny Stoke an undeserved point. All in all a good day at the office, and a great way to start the season.

Arsenal v Aston Villa (1-3)

A fantastic start to the season for the men from Birmingham! Following a poor year last year – with the exception of breakout star Benteke, and the development of Weimann – it was a shock result, particularly being at the Emirates. Arsenal have left themselves high and dry this summer with the much vaunted Ł70m transfer kitty not having been touched, so demoralisation of the team and fans getting on the player's backs could have been a contributing factor. Nevertheless Villa will be buoyed by the result and look to be a little bit more solid at the back so this could be a more competitive match than previously thought. With the pop-psychology out of the way, having watched the match through, Arsenal beat themselves more than Villa beat Arsenal. Last ditch defending and some luck kept Villa in it long enough to beat Arsenal down and cause them to make errors – we have to be careful not to fall in to that trap ourselves.

Match day 2

Suggested Formation

Mignolet

Toure                  Agger

Johnson                                               Enrique

Lucas

Gerrard

Henderson            Sturridge                 Coutinho

Aspas

This is, roughly, how we lined up against Stoke and how I believe we will line up again against Villa. The relationship between Agger and Toure looks to be a good one, with the front 4 interchanging and keeping the Villa back line guessing. I expect Henderson to be tasked with assisting Johnson down their left as that is, in my opinion, where the majority of Villa's attacking play will come from. Antonio Luna and Andreas Weimann are both skilful, tricky players who could cause us some trouble, as shown against Arsenal, with Luna bagging a debut goal. One thing we lacked last year was someone who could stand toe to toe with the likes of Benteke, who doesn't appear to have missed a step this season, putting two past Arsenal. Judging by Toure's performances in pre season and against Stoke, I feel a little bit more comfortable than I did last year – especially considering their 3-1 win against us at Anfield last year – although it should be noted that in the second half of the season we beat them 2-1 at Villa Park.

Key Battles

Agger/Toure vs Benteke – Villa tend to play with Benteke up on his own, with Agbonlahor and Weimann cutting in from wide when needs be – although they will be mostly the responsibility of Enrique and Johnson. Benteke is technically sound, and strong as any player, causing defences across the country all manner of trouble last season and so we will need to keep close and try and stop him from getting a run on the defence, particularly at set pieces.

Johnson/Henderson vs Weimann/Luna – I would expect Weimann and Luna to line up on Villa's left side, up against Henderson and Johnson. With Johnson liking to get forward he will leave gaps that Villa will look to exploit and, as I mentioned in my write up of the Stoke game, Henderson appears to be the ideal man to close down, due to the Dirk Kuyt-like qualities that he is exhibiting.

Aspas/Sturridge vs Vlaar/Clark – We should have enough to cause them trouble, particularly if we keep up the movement and flexibility of position that we showed against Stoke. Villa looked to defend deep, but we still cut open time after time by Arsenal, and it was more down to Arsenal's profligacy that Villa did not concede more. They seemed poor in the air – Arsenal managing to get some decent chances from set pieces and so hopefully we can get some result there as well.

Predictions and Overview

Rodgers will obviously be looking at the Arsenal game, and tomorrow night's game against Chelsea for areas to exploit. I would be inclined to think that we will start with his usual style of probing and trying to go out wide and then dart inwards with Coutinho provided the killer passes through the defence for Aspas and Sturridge although, should he bit fit in time, I think we might see Cissokho on late for either Aspas or Coutinho – depending on how much of a beating Coutinho gets and whether Aspas is bossing the game – with Enrique pushing forward similar to how we played a few times last season.

Villa aren't going to come at our defence, rather they will likely sit back with Benteke on the half way line in roughly a 4-5-1 when they don't have the ball and wait for us to lose it before breaking with pace down the wings and either feeding it through to Beneteke or Agbonlahor to run on to one on one with Mignolet. I think we are better equipped to deal with this than Arsenal, but it is still something that will be closely watched.

I predict a win, but probably not a big one. I will say 2-1 like last seasons fixture as I do think Beneteke is going to be dominant, but I think we won't be as self destructive as Arsenal were. The worrying moments for me will be the obligatory 43rd and 84th minute corner/free kick as these seem to occur every game and kill us if we concede.

This and the rest of the bollocks I come out with is on www.ineedaniword.weebly.com - would be grateful to anyone who checks it out and feel free to leave thoughts and so on (shameless plug or what eh?)

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2013, 09:08:35 pm »
Come On Redmen!
I land in Lanzarote at 5pm on Sat so will be a taxi dash to a pub to watch this! Control Benteke (down to Toure) and stop Agbonlahor direct runs early (down to Johnson) and we can win this. They don't show too much skill and we can make them look silly and create good chances. However, they are direct, industrious and honest - Hendo starts for me as a result.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2013, 05:15:59 am »
This game is chalk and cheese to the last.

Stoke are a dour defensive team comfortable sitting behind the ball, they are glacier slow up front scoring majority of their goals from set peices and pouncing on knock down from aerial balls. It was very easy to hold a high line and limit their chances but when they got their set peices or a ball pinging around it caused us major headaches. I think we did a good job containing them but we still needed a bit of luck to pick up the three points. It's an area we need to work on but we passes that test.

This weekend we're facing a whole new set of problems. Villa have a much weaker back four IMO but are a team that presses really well. Much like Rafa's Liverpool team, Villa are fanstatic at denying time and space on the ball, intelligently pressing with a hard working midfield and attack. Once they do win posession they very direct and transition well with a lightening quick counter-attack. We'll need to be calm on the ball and not make mistakes while playing out of defense. This is an area Rodgers wants our team to excell at and we'll get a good idea on the progress we've made in building from the back. Big test for Mignolet, the back four and midfield but if we can cope with Villa IMO we will cope with just about anyone pressing us.

As a general rule my preference is to play Henderson over Allen because he's more versatile allowing Coutinho to play centrally but in this case I'd definately go for Allen. I think his surity on the ball and ability to help us work the ball out of defense is a big benefit.  Keeping Coutinho out wide is a small sacrifice for this. I'm confident Coutinho, Aspas and Sturridge can crack what I think is a weak defense as long as we can maintain posession and not make mistakes working the ball forward.

Mignolet
Johnson   Toure   Agger   Enrique
            Gerrard    Lucas
                      Allen
          Aspas              Coutinho
                    Sturridge 

Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Online exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2013, 05:37:45 am »
Chelsea will smash them tonight, back to reality with a bump.  We'll follow that up by grabbing another win, 2-0 Gerrard and Aspas with the goals.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Dentron

• Eastenders Sci-Fi Spinoff
  • Kopite
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2013, 06:42:53 am »
I'd like to see Borini make a start on the bench, maybe come on mid second half if we're struggling to score. He was boss last night in the U21s against United scored a belter free kick.

He hit a free kick right down the middle that Amos misplayed horribly, and did a lot of chasing. He definitely didn't "boss" anything. Great work rate and good to see him score a couple for his confidence, but he still did nothing all match but react to play. He almost never gets on the end of build up play, which is curious given Rodgers' affinity for him. When he gets on the end of a ball, it's almost always a long ball knocked in behind the defense or bobbled around by the defenders; he rarely anticipates or triggers balls into the final third from the midfield with his movement. I find it odd that some supporters praise his movement. It makes me think that they're mistaking high workrate for positive movement, when those are two very independent attributes. He has the former in spades.

Anyhow, I wonder if Ibe may have earned a start for this one. Would love to see Coutinho in the middle, with Ibe and Aspas on either side.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2013, 06:47:25 am »
Well out Corkboy!

My instinct tells me there will be too much focus on AV - Benteke, Weimann, & Agbondalhor.
I think this game will be won or lost in how much pressure we put Guzan under.

Being from America (and coaching GK'ers), I have been watching Guzan play for awhile - college (S Carolina), MLS & EPL
Guzan runs hot and cold is capable of ungodly saves or being hung out to dry with some poor angle play or bobbling crosses.
However, he was the reason Arsenal did not equalize on Saturday (leading to a counter goal at the end by Luna).  While Guzan is
an up and coming keeper, he still has one big mistake per game (crosses and decision-making).  If we can punish this and become
more ruthless with our own chances, I think we can take the three points.  This means we need 2 or more goals to win.

Lineup

Mignolet

Toure                  Agger                   

Johnson                                                                                         Enrique

Lucas

Gerrard                   

Aspas                                           Coutinho                                 Henderson

Sturridge
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline n00bert

• Legacy Fan
  • Born a Red, die a Red. 4-2-3-1 Ultra. DM sceptic.
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2013, 06:58:18 am »
Villa are one of those teams that we take lightly at our peril. I think they've got a pretty exciting front line and Benteke is just a beast. Probably shouldn't have got that second penalty against the Arse on the weekend but they executed their game plan to perfection.

The good news is they have a midweek game against Chelsea which could mean some tired legs out there against us. Here's hoping.

In any case, I think we pose a completely different set of problems to Villa. For one, we seem to have a bit more width. The one thing I noticed about the Arsenal game is that they don't deal with width all that well. The goal they conceded was from a cross and I thought they looked most stretched when Walcott wasn't cutting in as much. Was surprised that they took off Oxlade-Chamberlain at half time (unless it was due to injury) and went for a more central-ish player in Cazorla.

Once the Arsenal switched to their usual style of play and played with less width (coupled with Koscielny's sending off) Villa didn't seem to have that much of a problem shutting them down, bar one or two instances.

Personally I'd start with the same team as we did against Stoke with maybe having Allen in instead of Henderson.

I'd like to stick Kolo and Lucas on Benteke. Kolo when we are defending deep and Lucas when he drops into midfield. I personally think that our fullbacks should be able to cope with Agbonlohor and Weimann and I would like to see them get tight on these two.

The key to victory here is really stopping Benteke and to a lesser extent Agbonlohor. If we can shackle these two I reckon we'll have a good chance of keeping a clean sheet and with the fluidity in attack we only need to convert one or two of the decent chances we are sure to create.

Would also like to see is pick up from the Stoke game where we were really closing down the game quickly. I think having Allen in the team in this game may work given the slightly less physical nature of the Villa team. Had a pretty good pre-season too so if he maintains his form carries into this game I wouldn't even be surprised if he got onto the score sheet.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 06:59:54 am by n00bert »

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2013, 07:03:27 am »
We beat them last time in the same fixture, Quietly confident but need to defend well and not let score on the counter.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2013, 07:55:25 am »
Kolo will slay the Benteke!

2-0 to us, Aspas and Coutinho goalscorers!
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2013, 08:18:39 am »
Would like to see the same line up for this, think that's the best side we can put out right now. Ideally, Henderson to play a bit deeper to make sure their runners from midfield are pressed well. Think this will be a good test for us.

3 points would be brilliant. My hope is that we have 12-15 points and then get to add at the very least, Suarez (ideally another attacking signing too) to the mix, and give us an excellent platform to try and attain the 70 point mark that should see us in the mix for 4th.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2013, 08:40:40 am »
Last season Benteke was somewhat of an unknown presence and bulldozered his way into the Premier league sweeping aside many defenders before him.  Managers and defenders alike were caught on the hop and simply didn't have the answers to contain him. Benteke didn't need any further encouragement and got the job done.

Arsenal, A club in the throws of panic and turmoil over an ever increasingly untouched war-chest were there for the taking last week, whoever the opponents. I believe Norwich, Southampton, whoever, had a great chance of getting a result at the Emirates last week.

I am confident BR and the defensive coaches will have solid containment plans for Benteke et al.  As someone mentioned in an earlier post, The Manchester City Kolo Toure came up against Benteke a couple of times last season and therefore knows what he's all about.

I can't see Brendan changing the starting line-up from the lads that started against Stoke and I'll be happy to see the same myself. 

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2013, 08:53:02 am »
Knowing us away early season we'll struggle. Them playing mid week will hopefully be a bonus. Win ugly boys but just win!!

it can really set us well before we face the Mancs, just imagine 9pts from 3 games, how magic would that be??
YNWA

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2013, 08:53:34 am »
Draw.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2013, 08:53:58 am »
Knowing us away early season we'll struggle. Them playing mid week will hopefully be a bonus. Win ugly boys but just win!!

it can really set us well before we face the Mancs, just imagine 9pts from 3 games, how magic would that be??

Getting a bit ahead of yourself there.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2013, 09:14:22 am »
2-0 win

Apas will score his first official goal
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline RivaGe

• Legacy Fan
  • walk on
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2013, 09:21:36 am »
Villa are very good on the break and we are prone to counter attacks with our passing style. Also Guzan to be MOTM.

Offline reds7

• Kopite
  • Walk on Tommo
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2013, 09:27:01 am »
Does anyone know if Aly is fit enough to feature?

Offline North Red

• Anny Roader
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2013, 09:27:04 am »
How great is it looking forward to this game after getting 3 points on the opening day? Es fantastic!

Villa playing at the Bridge this evening can only work to our advantage, especially towards the end of the game I think maybe Villa will suffer a bit with tired legs.
I almost feel we should put out the exact same team as against Stoke. Maybe Borini coming off the bench after his magnificent performance against Man Utd. I think his confidence will be much better now.

Oh, and imagine Liverpool - Man Utd if both teams have maximum points..

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2013, 10:13:23 am »
Does anyone know if Aly is fit enough to feature?

He played the full 90 minutes against Everton in preseason for Valencia.

I'd say he'll feature from the bench.

Would wreck Enrique's confidence if he came straight into the starting team.

Offline Thog

• Seeking oral advice. Hibernates outside of the transfer windows.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2013, 10:41:27 am »
I think 3-4-3 would be perfect against Aston Villa. Their forwards play quite narrow. So we might need another centre back in there. Look at Benteke's goal against us back in March, they were 3v4, we couldn't cope, they scored. Agbonlahor and Weimann support the lone striker very well, it won't be like Stoke last week where Crouch is an isolated figure. Plus sometimes we get caught on the counter, Lambert will exploit that but having that extra man back will prevent us from being too open. Also they will try to press us high and attack with numbers in our box knowing we lack a dominant aerial figure. Skrtel, Toure, Agger should start in my opinion.

Offline Thog

• Seeking oral advice. Hibernates outside of the transfer windows.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2013, 10:43:06 am »
He played the full 90 minutes against Everton in preseason for Valencia.

I'd say he'll feature from the bench.

Would wreck Enrique's confidence if he came straight into the starting team.

Dominic King reckons Cissokho will start.