Author Topic: RAWK Preview Liverpool v Stoke City 12:45pm August 17th  (Read 53074 times)

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: RAWK Preview Liverpool v Stoke City 12:45pm August 17th
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2013, 09:44:57 pm »
We get one early and we'll win big.

I can't shake the feeling of a draw at the moment though, maybe start feeling more optimist closer to the game.

Offline RowBoatCop

• Anny Roader
« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2013, 10:13:36 pm »
I think with our front 4 buzzing around from the first whistle we can blow them away in the first 20 minutes, seems like our best shot at making an easy afternoon of it

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2013, 10:42:13 pm »
Last time we won the opening fixture we had just beaten Valerenga 1-4 in a pre-season friendly

Nothing can go wrong now!
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2013, 11:00:37 pm »
It will be interesting to see what effect if any yet Hughes has installed into their style of play.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline StrikingMidfield

• Legacy Fan
  • A red and green heart
« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2013, 11:02:50 pm »
Can't wait for this, a quick start off the blocks is crucial for our top 4 aspirations. Just hope that we can take the form we showed at the end of last season, move it into the new season and integrate the new players/make up for the lost ones. Won't be easy by any means, but I believe in Rogers. I think he really is the right man for the job.

Also as far as Stoke goes it's well... Stoke. Let's smash em. No reason for us not to put a grim expression on the faces of Stoke fans either, not even the most anti Liverpool media would be able to predict us to not take all 3 points at home with a straight face.

Just wish the game was tomorrow, can't stand the nervousness. Come on you redmen!  :scarf
Liverpool FC - Seattle Sounders FC

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2013, 11:09:48 pm »
As always with Stoke, an early goal and we'll demolish them, a long, drawn out slog and it's got 0-0 written all over it.

Would happily take a scrappy 1-0 here ..

Hmmm, see Celtic last weekend, big units, well organised, sat in, playing for the odd chance and set pieces. Lets just get any sort of a first goal and then make them come out. If we get the space we will skewer them. However if it's a battle I am not so sure. Lady luck ... gis a goal

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2013, 11:11:16 pm »
I'm worried. But then I would've been worried if we had beaten Celtic 6-0. We don't know if last seasons Stoke is going to come out or if Hughes has more streamlines them - we don't know how bad or good Stoke are going to be. Everything is a bit up in the air.

I hope they play Marc Muniesa, their new guy from Barca. It's cliche and not always true, but a youth player from Barcas reserves to a league like ours - it's a hell of a jump. Equally we have Aspas, likely starter and likely to be up against a Showcross or Huth - more likely Shawcross. Aspas has a little more experience of pro league - but how much good will that do him?

Then we have our 'set piece problems' - I don't think they're as bad as others do. But it's a joker card to ruin our day when all else goes right. We need to be able to score two or three I feel, to be sure of taking the game home - and it feels like a vital game.

So obviously we focus on the attack - and Coutinho is who theyll target undoubtedly. I think theyll sit Palacios on him - forgotten man he may be for Stoke but he can certainly help snuff Coutinho out. So we have to play Sterling - we need that other playmaker to pick passes, and maybe we put Alberto in central attack instead - allowing us enough playmakers to snuff out attempts to pick up Coutinho. Or maybe we don't. It feels like a long time since we've beaten Stoke.

I really don't know. I'm pretty sure we have to score more then once though. And if we do - if we batter Stoke, the whole season could swing on it. So lets, for once, start the season with a win - we haven't done that since 08/09. The seasons since we have been in a malaise. In terms of getting back that 08/09 team, the strongest Liverpool side I've seen in years, a win would be a decent start.
You could open a door with him, he's such a knob.

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2013, 11:58:09 pm »
As far as I can remember in football, I've always feared that we'd have a draw in our first game. Miserable git that I am.

Offline Nonex

• Anny Roader
  • "I think the phrase rhymes with clucking bell."
« Reply #128 on: August 14, 2013, 12:34:39 am »
With Downing gone, who to people expect us to play on the wing? I only ask because I'm not sure if I should pick Sterling in my fantasy team... he could be quite the bargain....

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #129 on: August 14, 2013, 11:38:35 am »
It will be interesting to see what effect if any yet Hughes has installed into their style of play.
I hope he's managed to stamp out stamping!

Offline LucasLeiva

• Anny Roader
  • Remember My Name
« Reply #130 on: August 14, 2013, 11:40:20 am »
I think we will create a shed load in the first 25 minutes, just hope it's not like last season and we actually score oen or two of those early chances.

Offline LucasLeiva

• Anny Roader
  • Remember My Name
« Reply #131 on: August 14, 2013, 11:41:08 am »
With Downing gone, who to people expect us to play on the wing? I only ask because I'm not sure if I should pick Sterling in my fantasy team... he could be quite the bargain....

I expect our front 3 to be Coutinho Sturridge Aspas

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #132 on: August 14, 2013, 11:43:56 am »
Slight worry over set pieces. Even if Stoke don't go back to front in one ball anymore they'll still put decent balls into the box from corners and free kicks. We struggle with high balls anyway but with this bunch of nut jobs attacking the delivery I fear we might have problems. I'd be inclined to play Kelly or Coates but neither have featured enough in pre season really. We'll just have to pass Sparkys mob off the park.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Tatarunas

• Main Stander
  • Bring Them Cups Home
« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2013, 11:44:12 am »
If we don't get a goal in first half we might become very frustrated. But boy do I hope to win 7-0

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2013, 11:52:31 am »
There's defo a few injury concerns, Agger and Sturridge mainly but if those two are fit to start then I would expect this....

Countinho    Sturridge    Sterling

Henderson

Lucas           Gerrard

Enrique   Agger  Toure   Johnson

Mignolet

If Sturridge isn't ready to start then it will probably be Aspas through the centre.
If Agger is out then one of Skrtel or Wisdom but would expect Skrtel!

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: August 14, 2013, 12:04:13 pm »
If henderson plays expect a win. Typical example of the game he seems to shine in
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #136 on: August 14, 2013, 12:05:56 pm »
If Gerrard plays the full 90 tonight against Scotland will we see Lucas Henderson Allen midfield?
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline aggerdid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: August 14, 2013, 12:06:15 pm »
Have stoke scored at anfield since they came up? In the cup yeah in the 2-1 but what about the league

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: August 14, 2013, 12:19:50 pm »
I'm another one for the pessimistic club. I fear a bore draw, especially at for 12.45 kick off.

Our problem is that we don't have a lot of options, our team virtually picks itself except for maybe Allen/Hendo and Aspas for Sturridge. I'd really like to see Coutinho in the middle, as that way we can get our best player on the ball a lot more but so far BR hasn't made that a priority for the shape of the team.

Stoke might not be Tony Pullis' team but revolution isn't that quick, Hughes will have them organised away from home, ready to deal with pressure and us having the majority of possession. I also fear that we lack the physical dynamism of other teams in the league and whilst we are much better on the ball nowadays, we don't have personal with the same physical qualities as some of our opposition in the league.

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: August 14, 2013, 12:29:05 pm »
No idea what to expect from Hughes taking over a club that has had one very clear method of playing for a "long" time and surely BR and his staff also have very few clues about what they are going to get. 

We can hope for a shambolic Stoke and a nice start to the season but I'm staying in the pessimist club in order to brace myself for any disappointment.

Online keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #140 on: August 14, 2013, 12:41:13 pm »
If Gerrard plays the full 90 tonight against Scotland will we see Lucas Henderson Allen midfield?
There is no way Gerrard or anyone else for that matter will play the full 90 for England tonight. Expect 45 minutes and a dull first half.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline simply_red

• Holding back the tears. Of negativity. Utter negativity.
  • Kopite
« Reply #141 on: August 14, 2013, 12:41:36 pm »
I'm on the pessimist side as well.

I was really pleased when I saw we have the first game of the season at home but when I reviewed our record against Stoke (2 wins out of 10 since they promoted to the Prem) my confidence dropped low.

Our possession is always good against them at Anfield (it could have not been otherwise) but the end product was poor. Coutinho's passing vision is vital. I can only see Stoke playing the same way regardless Mark Hughes' concept about football. And Sturridge's fitness is a worry for me against those big horses.

Over the last few days (on twatter) I've seen a lot of idiotic predictions as 3-0 3-1 but 3 points are vital for me.

kopblocks.com

FSG out.

Offline aggerdid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2013, 01:06:19 pm »
I'm on the pessimist side as well.

Over the last few days (on twatter) I've seen a lot of idiotic predictions as 3-0 3-1

a 3-1 win at anfield how idiotic. god forbid. I'll join the the 0-0 camp.

I love the first day of the season. Any genuine fan does. I feel we'll have a great start this year. So fuck pessimism and fuck stoke. Plus we've beat these in 2 of the past 3 attempts at anfield. And also last years 0-0 wasnt the new look liverpool

Offline simply_red

• Holding back the tears. Of negativity. Utter negativity.
  • Kopite
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2013, 01:20:15 pm »

I love the first day of the season. Any genuine fan does. I feel we'll have a great start this year.

The first game of the season in my opinion always defines the entire season. And it's NOT superstition.

The last four 'openers' were hard to watch.
kopblocks.com

FSG out.

Offline theredguy03

• Put balls in his mouth and nearly choked
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho- Used to be Man City's tormentor
« Reply #144 on: August 14, 2013, 01:21:24 pm »
It's going to be either Asmir Begovic getting man of the match making 20 saves and a draw or a 3-0, 4-0 to Liverpool.

Going for the latter. On a sidenote, good to see the previews are back.
My favourite all time LFC player? Tough choice.

Offline Akalasa

• Anny Roader
« Reply #145 on: August 14, 2013, 01:26:34 pm »
We're going to smash them 5-0. Sturridge to get a hat-trick, Coutinho and Gerrard with one each. Mignolet to pull off an absolute worldie to stop all the "Reina shouldn't have been loaned out". Fuck all this pessimistic "it's going to be 0-0" shite. Opening day of the season, I can't wait :D

Offline artanis

• Legacy Fan
  • It is what it is.
« Reply #146 on: August 14, 2013, 01:38:43 pm »
No idea what to expect from Hughes taking over a club that has had one very clear method of playing for a "long" time and surely BR and his staff also have very few clues about what they are going to get. 

We can hope for a shambolic Stoke and a nice start to the season but I'm staying in the pessimist club in order to brace myself for any disappointment.

Well, Cameron, their American defender was just interviewed here in the US on satellite radio. He said, no more huffing the ball, excited about finally playing out of the back, passing the ball around.
Hopefully, since this is new for them, they will be shite at it and we'll smash them.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: August 14, 2013, 01:47:31 pm »
Score early...Score in the last minute of the game

A long range Gerrard special or a deflection of Enrique's ass ;D

Hell if it end up 4-3 in our favour, I'll be ecstatic!!!

All I want from this game is 3 points.

We're going to smash them 5-0. Sturridge to get a hat-trick, Coutinho and Gerrard with one each. Mignolet to pull off an absolute worldie to stop all the "Reina shouldn't have been loaned out". Fuck all this pessimistic "it's going to be 0-0" shite. Opening day of the season, I can't wait :D

got to love your optimism!!!

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: August 14, 2013, 01:50:37 pm »
It's not exactly unrealistic to hope for a 3-0 / 3-1 win, at home, to Mark Hughes Stoke...
I'd take any win though, just get the points on the board, can't afford to start like we did last year.

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: August 14, 2013, 01:53:34 pm »
Can't bloody wait for the season to get started. Will probably miss the first match, though.

We definitely should be able to beat this lot. We haven't won the season opener since 2008, though, away at Sunderland.

2012/2013: West Brom (A) 3-1
2011/2012: Sunderland (H) 1-1
2010/2011: Arsenal (H) 1-1
2009/2010: Tottenham (A) 2-1
2008/2009: Sunderland (A) 0-1
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 01:55:09 pm by Agger »
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

Offline EmotionalCitrus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: August 14, 2013, 02:12:07 pm »
What ever happens it can't be any worse than last years opener can it?

Offline ab9

• Main Stander
« Reply #151 on: August 14, 2013, 02:14:00 pm »
Am I the only one who feels it won't be an easy win as most of the people are hoping it to be? Draw written all over it.

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #152 on: August 14, 2013, 02:14:38 pm »
What ever happens it can't be any worse than last years opener can it?

we could lose 4-1 hahaha, at home!

Offline Thog

• Seeking oral advice. Hibernates outside of the transfer windows.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: August 14, 2013, 02:14:44 pm »
I'd be tempted to let these lads come on to us a bit more and sit deeper and try to hit them on the counter with Raheem, Asspass, Coutinho and Henderson (on the left) in the way that we did little later on in the season.

Stoke will be fully prepared to set out the low-block against us on the first day of the season to grind out a 0-0 and try to play quick balls on the break like they have done. If they're trying to play it on the deck a bit more, why not let them, cannot imagine they'll be that good at it yet, and try to force it on the counter, then manipulate possession more if/when we take the lead.

Can't help but be filled with abject terror nonetheless, of another drawn opening day misery fest. We have such a soft opening sequence of games (by our usual standards), it'd be severely disheartening to begin with less than 3 points.

I genuinely don't think that would even be possible.They'd probably just give the ball back to us in fear of coming out of their own half and giving away a goal.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: August 14, 2013, 02:15:29 pm »
Can't wait to go to Anfield on Saturday! Only been to two opening day games before and both ended in 1-1 draws so I'm hoping third time lucky. Key is to start well and score fairly early then can see us controlling the game. The longer we go without scoring is when we seem to panic and become sloppy. Brilliant to have proper football back though - here we go again.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline incredibleL4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: August 14, 2013, 02:22:10 pm »
Stoke have had a pretty moderate pre-season and have not really added to their squad.  I doubt they have the ability to score at Anfield.  The plan here for Liverpool has to be to keep possession and play the game in their half.  Could struggle to break them down, but I am confident (or deluded)

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: August 14, 2013, 02:36:25 pm »
Ah, Sabu's back.

All is well.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Thog

• Seeking oral advice. Hibernates outside of the transfer windows.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: August 14, 2013, 02:38:39 pm »
If henderson plays expect a win. Typical example of the game he seems to shine in

What where he can show his great skill and touch against a packed defence? I don't think so.

Offline eryder

• Main Stander
  • The end of the match.
« Reply #158 on: August 14, 2013, 03:05:33 pm »
As long as Stoke don't try to play football then they are always in with a shout. Think they will find it hard to contain our skilful play, and Aspas will give them plenty to worry about.
Billy Beane is not my lover

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: August 14, 2013, 03:35:02 pm »
I'd be tempted to let these lads come on to us a bit more and sit deeper and try to hit them on the counter with Raheem, Asspass, Coutinho and Henderson (on the left) in the way that we did little later on in the season.

Stoke will be fully prepared to set out the low-block against us on the first day of the season to grind out a 0-0 and try to play quick balls on the break like they have done. If they're trying to play it on the deck a bit more, why not let them, cannot imagine they'll be that good at it yet, and try to force it on the counter, then manipulate possession more if/when we take the lead.

Can't help but be filled with abject terror nonetheless, of another drawn opening day misery fest. We have such a soft opening sequence of games (by our usual standards), it'd be severely disheartening to begin with less than 3 points.
Hmmm, I'm not sure it's necessarily just a matter of playing on the counter attack. The chances are that we're going to have the majority of possession and so if we're doing that then we'll probably be pressing the ball high to regain when we lose it. However I think you're onto a good idea of when we're in a block, maybe lowering our pressure in order to allow them to come out and leave us with more space to attack behind. When you're playing a direct team who play long balls then often you'll lower your block in order to prepare for the second ball. Even if Stoke play it shorter, I can see us lowering our block.

The more interesting question for me is how many we generally defend with when we get pushed back. For example, against Reading last season, a team who very much concentrated on the wide areas in attack, we often defended with seven players (the back four, the double pivot of Gerrard and Lucas and then Henderson on the left). Coutinho, Suarez and Sturridge often stayed for transitions. We may see something like this happen again.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob