Author Topic: No more Pluto!  (Read 9759 times)

Offline RI-Red

• Legacy Fan
  • What the fuck is Goony Goo Goo?
No more Pluto!
« on: August 24, 2006, 03:20:10 pm »
Astronomers meeting in the Czech capital have voted to strip Pluto of its status as a planet.
About 2,500 experts were in Prague for the International Astronomical Union's (IAU) general assembly.

Astronomers rejected a proposal that would have retained Pluto as a planet and brought three other objects into the cosmic club.

Pluto has been considered a planet since its discovery in 1930 by the American Clyde Tombaugh.

The vote effectively means the ninth planet will now be airbrushed out of school and university textbooks.

The eight planets are Mercury, Earth, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.

No More Pluto
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 03:22:04 pm by RI-Red »
That ginger haired twat looks like a proper manc c*nt!

Offline Bullan

• I can't believe I ate the whole thing...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speed of The Sound Of Loneliness
Re: No more Pluto!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 03:28:59 pm »
Astronomers meeting in the Czech capital have voted to strip Pluto of its status as a planet.
About 2,500 experts were in Prague for the International Astronomical Union's (IAU) general assembly.

Astronomers rejected a proposal that would have retained Pluto as a planet and brought three other objects into the cosmic club.

Pluto has been considered a planet since its discovery in 1930 by the American Clyde Tombaugh.

The vote effectively means the ninth planet will now be airbrushed out of school and university textbooks.

The eight planets are Mercury, Earth, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.

No More Pluto

I bet they are a barrel of laughs doing the kareoke sp?.

It's interesting though that this is a subject of a democratic process as I always perceived this to be a cornerstone in our Astronomy.

I hate every ape I see.
From chimpan-a to chimpan-z,
No, you'll never make a monkey out of me.
Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.
You finally made a monkey...

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 03:32:51 pm »
Agghh Shit..

I won't be able to sleep tonight knowing that... :P

Offline smithng

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "On a stroppy little island of mixed up people"
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 03:34:26 pm »
Is Goofy safe?

Offline Cleary

• Smooth as babies bottoms
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 03:50:07 pm »
Is Goofy safe?

:lmao thats wat i was thinking
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappionted with that attitude. I can assure you it is much more important than that"
 Bill Shankly

Offline Dublin Red

• Jehova, Jehova, Jehova
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 03:55:58 pm »
You wanna hope they don't go after Uranus next ;)
What we achieve in life, echoes in eternity

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Reds are coming up the hill, boys...
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 03:59:03 pm »

"Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number,
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many - they are few." Percy Bysshe Shelley

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 04:01:34 pm »
Who the fuck are they to decide whether Pluto is a planet or not!
Took them a long bloody time to find that out.

Astronomers, I´ve shit em!
'It'll whisper to them of Liverpools five glorious European Cup victories"

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 04:20:41 pm »
Not many people know this, but if you go to the Royal Observatory at Greenwich and look through one of the historic telescopes in the Octagon Room there's a picture of Pluto (the dog) stuck on the end. It's been there for years apparently.

Erm...  that's it really... 
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline WillieBob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 04:48:19 pm »
Missing you already Pluto.
"The Member States shall facilitate the achievement of the Union's tasks and refrain from any measure which could jeopardise the attainment of the Union's objectives."

Offline Godmadebloodred

• Legacy Fan
  • The Beanitezls
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 06:23:07 pm »
The universe will be a sadder place without you Pluto.....RIP  :wave

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 06:28:11 pm »
Shittest song ever!

Stars

(to the tune of "Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star")

Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
I know what you really are:
Giant ball of glowing gas,
One of billions in a mass!
Oh, how big you really are!

Twinkle, twinkle, giant star,
Larger than the Earth by far!
Since your distance is a lot,
You look like a tiny dot.
Very bright, yet very far!

Stars are twinkling, every one,
Some are bigger than the sun!
Just a twinkle in the sky,
Just because you're oh, so high!

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 06:40:40 pm »
Shittest song ever!

Stars

Blowing from my giant Ass!

You look like a ball of snot.

I think that´s a lovely song.  :P
'It'll whisper to them of Liverpools five glorious European Cup victories"

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 01:41:38 am »
Scientists..what can you say..;)
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline LFCMunkee

• Cheekee!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2006, 02:20:45 am »
Pluto will always be a planet to me! :(

Miss you Pluto! :'(
Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall - so the referee booked him

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2006, 02:27:06 am »
Mickey must be devastated  :P

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 02:33:16 am »
Sounds like a case of blatant Planetism if you ask me. Pluto will not doubt be off to the Intergalatical Cosmic Equal Rights Council (ICERC) over this....No, Pluto will fight this one! ;)
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 11:02:39 am »
Sounds like a case of blatant Planetism if you ask me. Pluto will not doubt be off to the Intergalatical Cosmic Equal Rights Council (ICERC) over this....No, Pluto will fight this one! ;)

Jupiter believe it

Offline RedZen

• Eats cat food
  • Legacy Fan
  • What you fuckin lookin at?
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2006, 12:48:03 pm »
Jupiter believe it

Been saturn that one for a while eh Harry, waiting for the right moment?

Offline Deadlogic

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2006, 01:00:14 pm »
Bit racist that mate.

Freedom for Pluto.

Offline smithng

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2006, 01:06:41 pm »
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 01:08:58 pm by smithng »

Offline smithng

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2006, 01:21:32 pm »
A fierce backlash has begun against the decision by astronomers to strip Pluto of its status as a planet.

On Thursday, experts approved a definition of a planet that demoted Pluto to a lesser category of object.

But the lead scientist on Nasa's robotic mission to Pluto has lambasted the ruling, calling it "embarrassing".

And the chair of the committee set up to oversee agreement on a definition implied that the vote had effectively been "hijacked".

The new solar system
The vote took place at the International Astronomical Union's (IAU) 10-day General Assembly in Prague. The IAU has been the official naming body for astronomy since 1919.

Only 424 astronomers who remained in Prague for the last day of the meeting took part.

An initial proposal by the IAU to add three new planets to the Solar System - the asteroid Ceres, Pluto's moon Charon and the distant world known as 2003 UB313 - met with considerable opposition at the meeting. Days of heated debate followed during which four separate proposals were tabled.

Eventually, the scientists adopted historic guidelines that see Pluto relegated to a secondary category of "dwarf planets".

Drawing the line

Dr Alan Stern, who leads the US space agency's New Horizons mission to Pluto and did not vote in Prague, told BBC News: "It's an awful definition; it's sloppy science and it would never pass peer review - for two reasons.

Pluto was discovered in 1930 by the American Clyde Tombaugh
"Firstly, it is impossible and contrived to put a dividing line between dwarf planets and planets. It's as if we declared people not people for some arbitrary reason, like 'they tend to live in groups'.

"Secondly, the actual definition is even worse, because it's inconsistent."

One of the three criteria for planethood states that a planet must have "cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit". The largest objects in the Solar System will either aggregate material in their path or fling it out of the way with a gravitational swipe.

Pluto was disqualified because its highly elliptical orbit overlaps with that of Neptune.

But Dr Stern pointed out that Earth, Mars, Jupiter and Neptune have also not fully cleared their orbital zones. Earth orbits with 10,000 near-Earth asteroids. Jupiter, meanwhile, is accompanied by 100,000 Trojan asteroids on its orbital path.

These rocks are all essentially chunks of rubble left over from the formation of the Solar System more than four billion years ago.

"If Neptune had cleared its zone, Pluto wouldn't be there," he added.

Stern said like-minded astronomers had begun a petition to get Pluto reinstated. Car bumper stickers compelling motorists to "Honk if Pluto is still a planet" have gone on sale over the internet and e-mails circulating about the decision have been describing the IAU as the "Irrelevant Astronomical Union".

'Inconvenient arrangements'

Owen Gingerich chaired the IAU's planet definition committee and helped draft an initial proposal raising the number of planets from nine to 12.

The Harvard professor emeritus blamed the outcome in large part on a "revolt" by dynamicists - astronomers who study the motion and gravitational effects of celestial objects.

PLUTO - A 'DEMOTED PLANET'

Named after underworld god
Average of 5.9bn km to Sun
Orbits Sun every 248 years
Diameter of 2,360km
Has at least three moons
Rotates every 6.8 days
Gravity about 6% of Earth's
Surface temperature -233C
US probe (above) visits in 2015

"In our initial proposal we took the definition of a planet that the planetary geologists would like. The dynamicists felt terribly insulted that we had not consulted with them to get their views. Somehow, there were enough of them to raise a big hue and cry," Professor Gingerich said.

"Their revolt raised enough of a fuss to destroy the scientific integrity and subtlety of the [earlier] resolution."

He added: "There were 2,700 astronomers in Prague during that 10-day period. But only 10% of them voted this afternoon. Those who disagreed and were determined to block the other resolution showed up in larger numbers than those who felt 'oh well, this is just one of those things the IAU is working on'."

E-voting

Professor Gingerich, who had to return home to the US and therefore could not vote himself, said he would like to see electronic ballots introduced in future.

Alan Stern agreed: "I was not allowed to vote because I was not in a room in Prague on Thursday 24th. Of 10,000 astronomers, 4% were in that room - you can't even claim consensus.

"If everyone had to travel to Washington DC every time we wanted to vote for President, we would have very different results because no one would vote. In today's world that is idiotic. I have nothing but ridicule for this decision."

He added that he could not see the resolution standing for very long and did not plan to change any of the astronomy textbook he was currently writing.

But other astronomers were happy to see Pluto cast from the official roster of planets. Professor Iwan Williams, the IAU's president of planetary systems science, commented: "Pluto has lots and lots of friends; we're not so keen to have Pluto and all his friends in the club because it gets crowded.

"By the end of the decade, we would have had 100 planets, and I think people would have said 'my goodness, what a mess they made back in 2006'."

Shaking hands

Robin Catchpole, of the Institute of Astronomy in Cambridge, UK, said: "My own personal opinion was to leave things as they were. I met Clyde Tombaugh, who discovered Pluto, and thought, it's nice to shake hands with someone who discovered a planet.

"But since the IAU brought out the first draft resolution, I was rather against that because I thought it was going to be very confusing. So the best of the alternatives was to keep the eight planets as they are, and then demote Pluto. I think this is a far superior solution."

The need for a strict definition was deemed necessary after new telescope technologies began to reveal far-off objects that rivalled Pluto in size.

The critical blow for Pluto came with the discovery three years ago of an object currently designated 2003 UB313. Discovered by Mike Brown and colleagues at the California Institute of Technology, 2003 UB313 has been lauded by some as the "10th Planet".

Measurements by the Hubble Space Telescope show it to have a diameter of 3,000km (1,864 miles), a few hundred km more than Pluto. 2003 UB313 will now join Pluto in the dwarf planet category.

Mike Brown seemed happy with Pluto's demotion. "Eight is enough," he told the Associated Press, jokingly adding: "I may go down in history as the guy who killed Pluto."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5283956.stm

Offline ratcatcher

• Glass is often half-empty...and it's all Parry's fault
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2006, 08:52:54 pm »
This is science gone mad. The precedent has been set for almost 80 years that Pluto is a planet. Now, every text book on the planet will have to be trashed.

So what is Sedena or Xena is larger than Pluto? That makes them planets in my book.
These are my own opinions. They are not meant or intended as a criticism of anyone else's opinion just because they are different but if you can't see past that, then tough shit!

Offline Bullan

• I can't believe I ate the whole thing...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speed of The Sound Of Loneliness
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2006, 08:56:39 pm »
This is science gone mad. The precedent has been set for almost 80 years that Pluto is a planet. Now, every text book on the planet will have to be trashed.

So what is Sedena or Xena is larger than Pluto? That makes them planets in my book.

C'mon this was decided by some nerdlinger council .. I mean for fuck sake these are the same people who go to Star Trek conventions and argue who was better cpt this or cpt that.

This is an outrage and these "council" members should be slapped around with a limp dildo.
I hate every ape I see.
From chimpan-a to chimpan-z,
No, you'll never make a monkey out of me.
Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.
You finally made a monkey...

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2006, 09:10:07 pm »
Shittest song ever!

Stars

One of billions in a mass!

You look like a tiny dot.

That's gotta be Richard FUCKING Digence
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Mr_Kebab

• Kemlynite
  • Nowt
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2006, 09:48:48 pm »
C'mon this was decided by some nerdlinger council .. I mean for fuck sake these are the same people who go to Star Trek conventions and argue who was better cpt this or cpt that.

This is an outrage and these "council" members should be slapped around with a limp dildo.

Clearly...there can be no argument Cpt Pickard was the best and to argue over that just sums up their mentality!

With Pluto gone, does this lend itself to the theory that the universe is shrinking?
Hmmm...?

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2006, 11:48:53 pm »
Disney will be fucked, I tell yous Donald Duck will be next.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2006, 01:34:50 pm »

I like the way they kept with the classical theme when naming the one on the right.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline The Cappuccino Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • Aren't we free?
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2006, 05:46:54 pm »
Now what will become of the primary school legend of remembering the order of the planets' order?

My Very Early Morning Jam Sandwiches Usually Niggle People is fucked.
Formerly Mr Brightside.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2006, 07:17:32 pm »
Now what will become of the primary school legend of remembering the order of the planets' order?

My Very Early Morning Jam Sandwiches Usually Niggle People is fucked.

Unless, of course, you just take the "people" off the end? Would appear to be the most sensible resolution of your terrible dilemma.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2006, 07:19:25 pm »
I'd fear for my class, because we did the planets as a topic just before the break, but they're terminally confused anyway.

Offline LFC on tour

• Lawn Mower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2006, 11:42:47 pm »
These 'astromonists' are talking out of uranus. Pluto will always be a planet to me.
Its a fucking result for the science text book publishers though- every single school has to buy a new one..i smell a conspiracy

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2006, 08:27:09 am »
FRY: This is a great, as long as you don't make me smell Uranus. Heh heh.
LEELA: I don't get it.
PROFESSOR FARNSWORTH: I'm sorry, Fry, but astronomers renamed Uranus in 2620 to end that stupid joke once and for all.
FRY: Oh. What's it called now?
PROFESSOR FARNSWORTH: Urectum.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2006, 08:52:13 am »
FRY: This is a great, as long as you don't make me smell Uranus. Heh heh.
LEELA: I don't get it.
PROFESSOR FARNSWORTH: I'm sorry, Fry, but astronomers renamed Uranus in 2620 to end that stupid joke once and for all.
FRY: Oh. What's it called now?
PROFESSOR FARNSWORTH: Urectum.

:D

Offline misskopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2006, 04:37:30 pm »
I demand a recount! >:(

"Anfield had surpassed the noise level of Stamford Bridge half an hour before kick-off and the Kop was only a quarter full. Packed, it proved an awesome 12th man." Andy Hunter

Offline Fiend

• Want's a Mod to 'give him one'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Got Weird Enough For Me
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2006, 04:52:36 pm »
I'm happy its been demoted. It was always a bit crap.
I mean, 248 years to orbit the sun??? Get the fuck out of here...

You're no planet, mate. Good riddance!

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2006, 11:38:50 pm »
You're merely an extrasolar body and you know you are
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline Anthony

• Snot a Sailing Specialist. Has not signed for Manchester United. Misses Santa's knee!!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We don't need anyone to tell us this is golden...
« Reply #37 on: September 2, 2006, 05:35:15 pm »
I demand a recount! >:(

You might get your wish! :D

I heard a report today (not the best source admittedly - a letter to Radio 2) that the vote has been declared invalid because there was not  a valid quorum voting.

Pluto strikes back...

I like the way they kept with the classical theme when naming the one on the right.

Hasn't that been unofficially named Xena?? ;)
"We will win the European Cup one day. Aim for the moon and end up among the stars" - Gérard Houllier 2001

Thankyou Rafa and Jürgen  for taking us to Heaven!

"Hicks could have purchased Dallas' MLS franchise but decided not to. 'In hindsight, I probably made the wrong decision' he said" - Sports Illustrated/AP 2007

Offline misskopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 2, 2006, 07:15:28 pm »
You might get your wish! :D

I heard a report today (not the best source admittedly - a letter to Radio 2) that the vote has been declared invalid because there was not  a valid quorum voting.

Yay! ;D It did seem dodgy the way they went about with the voting. Hope your source turns out right.

Here's to welcoming back Pluto :wave
"Anfield had surpassed the noise level of Stamford Bridge half an hour before kick-off and the Kop was only a quarter full. Packed, it proved an awesome 12th man." Andy Hunter

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #39 on: September 3, 2006, 04:10:34 pm »
I hope that they stick to the eight planets.