Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399243 times)

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #2560 on: January 13, 2019, 10:07:41 am »
We are up against City, that's why there has to be a degree of doubt. Each round of games could see big swings.

If Wolves beat or draw with City on Monday then our chance of winning the league goes up massively. If City beat Wolves (more than likely) then their next two games are gimmes and they would be one point behind before we go into our game with Leicester.

We are playing really well and if we don't slip up it's ours. But all it needs is one or two shit decisions and City are back in it.

City are completely irrelevant to me Klopp is right on this. You cannot influence what happens to them so it is pointless even thinking about them. The only thing we can do is concentrate on ourselves, make sure we push this team over the line. I won't be watching any City game or even thinking about what they may or may not do, it will drive you barmy. There is a focus to this team that I never saw in the other two teams. Also, Klopp has experience of pushing teams over the line he will do everything he can and we have to do the same. In the meantime, one game at a time.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2561 on: January 13, 2019, 10:47:59 am »
Surely the Christmas period proves there’s no such thing as a gimme? Admittedly when I saw City’s xmas fixtures I thought we’d have to win all our matches just to maintain the 1 point gap, but that’s not how it went.

I’m not suggesting I expect either Huddersfield or Newcastle to do anything (especially not Huddersfield) but I wouldn’t totally discount the chance of it happening. If we keep winning they’ll keep dropping points here and there, I honestly don’t look at any of their fixtures and think ‘gimmie’
The same is obviously true for us although I’d argue Palace and Leicester at home is probably as vaourable a fixture as Huddersfield and Newcastle away.

My prediction is if we win our next 4 games we’ll be further ahead than 4 points having played the same number of games. City will eventually get fucked off with it, it wouldn’t surprise me if yesterday’s result had that effect, after all the effort that was exerted on the 3rd, we then get knocked out of the FA Cup, they’d have been hoping for a capitulation which doesn’t appear to be forthcoming.

Think the bolded part is important in so much that the Christmas period itself makes the 'gimmes' harder due to the regularity of fixtures and the intensity/strain that brings.

It's why I'm hopeful that the extra games that both City and Spurs have as a result of their Carabao and FA cup runs will impact their league form. We only really need them both to drop points once, with us capitalising, to be in a very, very strong position.

I don't think we'll City drop for a while yet though unfortunately. Think we probably need to win the next 6 or 7 on the bounce. Which I'm confident in our ability to do, as long as they keep focussing purely on the right things, resting, recovering, preparing, performing.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2562 on: January 13, 2019, 11:15:31 am »
Let them and the media feel like that.. It will only help us if the pressure is on City..
Oh I couldn't give a fuck what they're thinking, it's been their mentality for 3 decades.

As you say they're inadvertently putting pressure on city cos they're so desperate for us not to win.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #2563 on: January 13, 2019, 11:46:41 am »
Beat palace at home and we have 60 points in the middle of January ... that’s ridiculous it really is

Its mad really - it will equal or better our points total for 7 of our premier league seasons, 3 of which were in the last 8 years - and there's still 4 months of football to play.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2564 on: January 13, 2019, 12:27:44 pm »
Oh I couldn't give a fuck what they're thinking, it's been their mentality for 3 decades.

As you say they're inadvertently putting pressure on city cos they're so desperate for us not to win.
Plenty in the media would like us to win. At the moment, they're just hoping for a proper title race.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2565 on: January 13, 2019, 12:33:24 pm »
45 points out of 45 vs the bottom 14 teams so far this year.

13 of our remaining 16 fixtures are also against those bottom 14 teams.

Of those 13 games, only 6 are away from home. West Ham and Everton, and the 4 teams from 16-19th in the table.

Win those 13 games, and we'd get to 96 points.

And just in case we do drop any points in those 13 games, we have Spurs (H), Chelsea (H), United (A) to make up for it.

City have FA Cup/League Cup commitments (and give CL priority), and would need to go 15W-1D-1L in their 17 remaining games to match that tally of 96 points. They still have to host Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea, and travel to United.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2566 on: January 13, 2019, 12:48:59 pm »
City are completely irrelevant to me Klopp is right on this. You cannot influence what happens to them so it is pointless even thinking about them. The only thing we can do is concentrate on ourselves, make sure we push this team over the line. I won't be watching any City game or even thinking about what they may or may not do, it will drive you barmy. There is a focus to this team that I never saw in the other two teams. Also, Klopp has experience of pushing teams over the line he will do everything he can and we have to do the same. In the meantime, one game at a time.
When are we jetting off to Dubai? I think Klopp could do with a little sun and relaxation, to 'reset' after the heavy fixture list and the defeat to City.

I think it's right to ignore City - we're 4 points ahead. It's ours to lose. But I think it's a little early to see this in terms of 'getting us over the line'. We've become a little too conservative, I think - particularly in terms of midfield selection. There's a risk of us becoming less fluent and fluid, of relying on the defence to keep it tight while the world class front three (and a bit) nick a winner.

Sixteen games is a long way to go. I think we'll need to recover/maintain some dynamism and fluency in the side if we want to stay ahead of City and win it from the front. 

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2567 on: January 13, 2019, 12:53:08 pm »
When are we jetting off to Dubai? I think Klopp could do with a little sun and relaxation, to 'reset' after the heavy fixture list and the defeat to City.

I think it's right to ignore City - we're 4 points ahead. It's ours to lose. But I think it's a little early to see this in terms of 'getting us over the line'. We've become a little too conservative, I think - particularly in terms of midfield selection. There's a risk of us becoming less fluent and fluid, of relying on the defence to keep it tight while the world class front three (and a bit) nick a winner.

Sixteen games is a long way to go. I think we'll need to recover/maintain some dynamism and fluency in the side if we want to stay ahead of City and win it from the front.

Are they going away after the Crystal Palace game? I think there is a ten day gap before the game against Leicester City so they could go then. I agree its important they do get a bit of basic rest, I seem to remember that on one of the trips away they allowed the families to come as well. Not sure if the same thing will happen this time. But having a rest up before the CL games begin again is a big plus point. All we can do for now it too win as many as we can in the meantime.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2568 on: January 13, 2019, 12:53:21 pm »

Conservative yesterday would have been starting Milner ahead of Shaqiri. Think we’re still broadly picking the right teams, just didn’t play that well yesterday, and Brighton we’re content to sit very deep.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #2569 on: January 13, 2019, 12:54:59 pm »

Tend to agree. However, I do think injuries have disrupted our preparation recently, and I’m also very conscious that Klopp has planned from pre-season to have a “conservative” approach over the hectic winter schedule.

Time will tell.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2570 on: January 13, 2019, 12:57:06 pm »

Good post, you should post more if you want to/can

Also enjoy your username and Hugo signature. The quote about apathy I can take or leave ;)

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2571 on: January 13, 2019, 01:05:20 pm »
Still can't get my head around our defensive record.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2572 on: January 13, 2019, 01:06:57 pm »
Still can't get my head around our defensive record.

The best defensive record in any of the major football leagues shared with PSG.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2573 on: January 13, 2019, 01:11:03 pm »
Conservative yesterday would have been starting Milner ahead of Shaqiri. Think we’re still broadly picking the right teams, just didn’t play that well yesterday, and Brighton we’re content to sit very deep.
I wasn't proposing to select Milner :). But even if we had, the midfield 3 (*almost* whoever's in it) I think gives us a more fluid shape; better angles through the centre, better movement, better tempo. We can win games playing as we are - we have world class forwards, the best centre back in the world and one of the best keepers in the world.

But that's rather what I mean about becoming 'conservative', and Klopp in particular perhaps needing a little break to reassess. We're in danger of shifting to relying on brilliant individuals within a solid system. I don't think that's very 'true' to how Klopp sees the game. It's also vulnerable to 'moments' within a game - a defensive error, an opposition keeper playing a blinder, the opposition hitting a worldie from 30 yards. As I said, I think sixteen games is a long way to go in that manner, and is imposing pressure on ourselves. At some stage we're going to need a spell of games where we're truly approaching our best, playing fluently, winning games comfortably and giving certain players 20-30 minutes rest at the end of a game.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2574 on: January 13, 2019, 01:12:44 pm »
I’m also very conscious that Klopp has planned from pre-season to have a “conservative” approach over the hectic winter schedule.
That's what I'm hopeful of.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2575 on: January 13, 2019, 01:17:03 pm »
Imagine our defence in that league ;)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2576 on: January 13, 2019, 01:22:51 pm »
We're headed off to Dubai after the Palace game, as we have 11 days before we play Leicester.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2577 on: January 13, 2019, 01:24:43 pm »
We're headed off to Dubai after the Palace game, as we have 11 days before we play Leicester.

Should give them enough time to take in all the culture..

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2578 on: January 13, 2019, 01:33:20 pm »

And they are playing in a league that is nowhere near as good as Premier League. We are no joke this season, as demonstrated by Manchester City, scoring against us will require a good slice of luck paired with absolute top quality. There may be a fluke here and there, but not often, not like before - no matter the pressure we are under.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #2579 on: January 13, 2019, 01:38:30 pm »
We should be better as a club than going to a misogynic and homophobic regime like Dubai's to give them positive PR. Utterly shameful :butt That government literally prosecutes women for being raped. No "business opportunities" in the world should cover that fact up.

The Canaries or Madeira are much better options. Also, better training temperatures for football. Dubai is above 25°C this time of the year already. Well, anyway, at least it's not Qatar, Iran or Saudi Arabia (the lowest bar in human history right there).

I really struggle to see the link between the important stance in wearing rainbow laces and then going to Dubai two months later, erasing all that good work. It boggles my mind  :-X
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 01:46:10 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2580 on: January 13, 2019, 02:06:21 pm »
Not sure about "disjointed", just typically "open" for a Rodgers team ;D

Not sure about the blip either - drew and lost in the next two games, then went on a run again. The blip came at Christmas with the two losses to City and Arsenal, then after that we didn't lose again until Chelsea.

It was a great season ;D

This one is better though.

It was City and Chelsea we played over that period, not City and Arsenal.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2581 on: January 13, 2019, 02:11:57 pm »
Should give them enough time to take in all the culture..

Hope our boys don't go and do the mandatory photo op with Salt Bae....  ;D
They can eat all the gold steaks after we pick up no.19
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2582 on: January 13, 2019, 03:09:31 pm »
We need to stop thinking about City and concentrate about ourselves. We continue to win there is bugger all they can do about it. Despite their returning sqad and being favourites.

Klopp said basically that yesterday - the only thing we can control is our own results, so we focus on that.

It was City and Chelsea we played over that period, not City and Arsenal.

Got robbed blind at Chelsea too.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #2583 on: January 13, 2019, 05:30:15 pm »
Slightly off topic and cant  be arsed posting a new thread for numerous reasons but I have a question for all of you.    Lets just say that Liverpool won the league title whether it  be this season next season or whatever  would you expect the club to have a parade in the city etc (like most  teams do nowadays)  or would you keep it like it used to be  ala   the league trophy would be there paraded on the pitch in front of the fans , i always remember being in the kop whilst they paraded the trophy but  that was it.  The title had been won on home (and away) turf over  the course of the season and that was that. An FA (not even league cup) or european cup final returning team would normally  be treated to an open bus tour around the city, call me old fashioned that is what I remember.   
What would you want the club to do?
And this is not  me being presumptious, just  curious of a genuine question
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline NCrawley

• Kopite
« Reply #2584 on: January 13, 2019, 05:44:48 pm »
Slightly off topic and cant  be arsed posting a new thread for numerous reasons but I have a question for all of you.    Lets just say that Liverpool won the league title whether it  be this season next season or whatever  would you expect the club to have a parade in the city etc (like most  teams do nowadays)  or would you keep it like it used to be  ala   the league trophy would be there paraded on the pitch in front of the fans , i always remember being in the kop whilst they paraded the trophy but  that was it.  The title had been won on home (and away) turf over  the course of the season and that was that. An FA (not even league cup) or european cup final returning team would normally  be treated to an open bus tour around the city, call me old fashioned that is what I remember.   

I hope they do some kind of parade on the Monday or the Tuesday after the final game in the Sunday as I am up in Liverpool for a mini break from the Monday with that possibility in mind... but let’s not get carried away

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2585 on: January 13, 2019, 05:49:26 pm »

We had one for Istanbul and would have had one for Kiev and Athens

I have seen videos of Shanks having one where he address the crowd St George sq. The one where he talks about Chairman Mao not seeing such red strength

Yeah we would have one and yes we should. Lets get into a position where we can be blasé about winning the title before we become blasé about winning the title.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2586 on: January 13, 2019, 06:13:54 pm »
A parade would be guaranteed.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2587 on: January 13, 2019, 06:16:48 pm »
Pack has melted down to one.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2588 on: January 13, 2019, 06:20:35 pm »
We had one for Istanbul and would have had one for Kiev and Athens

I have seen videos of Shanks having one where he address the crowd St George sq. The one where he talks about Chairman Mao not seeing such red strength

Yeah we would have one and yes we should. Lets get into a position where we can be blasé about winning the title before we become blasé about winning the title.

Also had one planned in 2014
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2589 on: January 13, 2019, 06:35:00 pm »
Spurs now 9 points behind. Makes life very difficult for them to come back into it. Man Utd have now won 6 in a row. Our encounter with them will be absolutely pivotal as we face them in the same sequence that we play Bayern in the CL and also the derby game. That could very well be the sequence that makes or breaks our title tilt and hopes for CL silverware I think. The good news is that by end of Feb we should have Gomez, Lovren and Matip back, and hopefully both Lallana and Keita fully fit for selection as well. We'll need the depth to get through an intense period of games.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 06:38:35 pm by mrantarctica »

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2590 on: January 13, 2019, 06:36:23 pm »
6 losses for Spurs so far with 3 of toughest away fixtures to come. They are done.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2591 on: January 13, 2019, 06:46:56 pm »
Spurs now 9 points behind. Makes life very difficult for them to come back into it. Man Utd have now won 6 in a row. Our encounter with them will be absolutely pivotal as we face them in the same sequence that we play Bayern in the CL and also the derby game. That could very well be the sequence that makes or breaks our title tilt and hopes for CL silverware I think. The good news is that by end of Feb we should have Gomez, Lovren and Matip back, and hopefully both Lallana and Keita fully fit for selection as well. We'll need the depth to get through an intense period of games.

There are also 4, 5 games before the United game so that ultimately means nothing in terms of what they're doing right now. The intense period is no where near the intensity we had last month and in previous months. We have 10 days off before we play Bayern, we have 11 days between Palace and Leicester.

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are Magic, Everton are Tragic
« Reply #2592 on: January 13, 2019, 06:52:44 pm »
Might be the only time in my life where I was pretty much rooting for a United win. Get Spurs out of our way, but also anything that puts pressure on the board to appoint Solskjaer full-time would be great. He'll inevitably fail there, so really want him chosen as the next manager.

'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'
Bill Shankly

01 06 22 23 47 64 66 73 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 86 88 90 20

77 78 81 84 05 19

At The End Of The Storm I

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #2593 on: January 13, 2019, 06:57:29 pm »
Well that’s fucking jinxed it Paul ;)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2594 on: January 13, 2019, 07:02:25 pm »
Spurs were never in it. But if you thought they were, then now people have to admit they are out of it.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2595 on: January 13, 2019, 07:03:29 pm »
Maximum Spurs can get is 96. Assuming we stay ahead of their GD then 39 points in our last 16 guarentees we finish above them (I know, I know).

Offline Soucolorado

• Main Stander
« Reply #2596 on: January 13, 2019, 07:04:15 pm »
Brilliant result for us. Now hoping Wolves can nick a point against Manchester City.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #2597 on: January 13, 2019, 07:08:22 pm »
Oh Paul...

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2598 on: January 13, 2019, 07:15:33 pm »
Fucking hell could Redknapp get his tongue any further up Pogba’s arse after the game!!!!

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #2599 on: January 13, 2019, 07:16:45 pm »
Brilliant result for us. Now hoping Wolves can nick a point against Manchester City.

You were there yesterday?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family