Author Topic: Champions League Quarter Finals 2nd Leg - Tuesday & Wednesday  (Read 321408 times)

Offline afcgooner

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Champions League Quarter Finals 2nd Leg - Tuesday & Wednesday
« Reply #6080 on: April 8, 2010, 04:57:35 pm »
You could've got the actual Vieira for fuck all. I don't see what you'd gain from selling Cesc, at all. You don't need the money, Wenger wouldn't go and spend it all on David Villa or someone similar so i just don't see what you'd gain from it.
For me, if we had a big offer, i'd pack my midfield with brute force, use the technical ability from the wings and forward area to score the goals. I don't think we will sell Fabregas this summer anyway.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6081 on: April 8, 2010, 05:02:44 pm »
He's 22 years of age, not 33. Perhaps when he is gone from our club, we might just end up winning something again. Every cloud.
Sorry, didn't mean to be arrogant. Just making fun of the funny picture.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6082 on: April 8, 2010, 05:07:23 pm »
Not at all but we still lack that experience in the middle of the park and as good as Fabregas is, if some one give me a Vieira type player, i'd sell him for 30-40 million.
I think you are wrong in considering, or even having an opinion that Vieira type player would be better than Cesc. Shocking in fact. Vieira played with great players in their prime, in current team of yours, Vieira will be another Song. IMO, your idea would lead you having two Song's (or two Vieira's) and no Cesc type player.

BTW, never understood all the hype about Vieira. Good defensive/central midfielder, but you would think there weren't others in the game close to him during that period. Let's remember that back then Premier League was all about Arsenal vs ManU, and Premier League was 3rd best league. In current Premier League, undoubtedly a better tournament, it wouldn't have been Vieira vs Keane. There is Essien, Mascherano, De Jong to name a few.

Even during Vieira's best years, Makelele, Gattuso, Davids, Baraja and Albelda were around, and I don't think they were one bit worse.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6083 on: April 8, 2010, 05:13:09 pm »
Saw this posted on an Arsenal forum.  It's Piqué interviewing Cesc in català while they were on international duty with Spain, i'd say around September/Oct.  It has English subs.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/Zel7KaZcp1Q" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/Zel7KaZcp1Q</a>
Cute interview, like it a lot. Didn't see before.

Well, Pique is tapping up, isn't he? ;D
Arsenal are so mad about press reports of our interest, the truth is, Cesc can't say no to people like Pique. Its like a mate of yours from childhood.

Offline afcgooner

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6084 on: April 8, 2010, 05:15:01 pm »
I think you are wrong in considering, or even having an opinion that Vieira type player would be better than Cesc. Shocking in fact. Vieira played with great players in their prime, in current team of yours, Vieira will be another Song. IMO, your idea would lead you having two Song's (or two Vieira's) and no Cesc type player.

BTW, never understood all the hype about Vieira. Good defensive/central midfielder, but you would think there weren't others in the game close to him during that period. Let's remember that back then Premier League was all about Arsenal vs ManU, and Premier League was 3rd best league. In current Premier League, undoubtedly a better tournament, it wouldn't have been Vieira vs Keane. There is Essien, Mascherano, De Jong to name a few.

Even during Vieira's best years, Makelele, Gattuso, Davids, Baraja and Albelda were around, and I don't think they were one bit worse.
Vieira is one of the best midfielders iv ever seen live and on TV. Amazing player. Had everything in his prime. A Vieira in his prime in this current side, would make this side much better and give it that edge. A player like that is all im looking for.

Offline the_prodigal_s0n

• Whats occurrin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6085 on: April 8, 2010, 05:20:26 pm »
Vieira is one of the best midfielders iv ever seen live and on TV. Amazing player. Had everything in his prime. A Vieira in his prime in this current side, would make this side much better and give it that edge. A player like that is all im looking for.
Yeah, you someone of that quality. The only problem is that these players are going to cost an awful lot of money. Take Lassana Diarra, for example. Real Madrid paid big money for him. No way would you get a player like that for a couple of million.

Offline AnotherSpanishfan

• The Human Babelfish
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6086 on: April 8, 2010, 05:24:52 pm »
Yeah, you someone of that quality. The only problem is that these players are going to cost an awful lot of money. Take Lassana Diarra, for example. Real Madrid paid big money for him. No way would you get a player like that for a couple of million.

Didn't they actually have him and let him go because he was a conflicting player?

Offline the_prodigal_s0n

• Whats occurrin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6087 on: April 8, 2010, 05:25:28 pm »
Didn't they actually have him and let him go because he was a conflicting player?
Don't think so mate. Wenger would never be that stupid.

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6088 on: April 8, 2010, 05:25:33 pm »
They HAD Diarra, but due to Wenger's refusal to play him he went on to better himself after 6 months or whatever it was at Pompey.
psn = Lents123

Offline afcgooner

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6089 on: April 8, 2010, 05:27:55 pm »
Diarra is a good player and we really should of tried to keep him. Still wish we had Flamin too. I ain't saying they are world class players but they worked very hard.

Offline AnotherSpanishfan

• The Human Babelfish
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6090 on: April 8, 2010, 05:30:15 pm »
Don't think so mate. Wenger would never be that stupid.

Yeah just looked it up.  Chelsea signed him first to be their next Makelele but he was very young and wanted to play so Wenger snapped him up but once again he didn't play great when given the chance and he had Flamini ahead so they sold him for about £6m to Portsmouth.  Finally there he started shining, made the French national team and RM badly needing a DM  paid around £20m for him during a winter transfer window.

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6091 on: April 8, 2010, 05:31:49 pm »
Yeah just looked it up.  Chelsea signed him first to be their next Makelele but he was very young and wanted to play so Wenger snapped him up but once again he didn't play great when given the chance and he had Flamini ahead so they sold him for about £6m to Portsmouth.  Finally there he started shining, made the French national team and RM badly needing a DM  paid around £20m for him during a winter transfer window.
This is correct. Cannot blame Diarra for wanting to actually play. He even said when he signed for Pompey he was there short term to prove he's good enough for a top side.
psn = Lents123

Offline the_prodigal_s0n

• Whats occurrin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6092 on: April 8, 2010, 05:37:21 pm »
There was a hint of irony in my above posts. But, yeah, Diarra probably should have been kept. At the time, Arsenal had Flamini and Fabregas, I think. They did seem like an excellent partnership, but Wenger really should have tried harder to keep Diarra. Particularly when Flamini only had one year left on his contract. I know Diarra asked for the move, but a little more faith from Wenger and he could still be playing from them. Either that, or they might have got a huge lump of money to use on something else if Diarra had excelled like at Portsmouth.

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #6093 on: April 8, 2010, 05:39:44 pm »
153 pages on two games not involving us.

Must be a record!
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline INABITSKI

• An own-nut-fondling manly man's wool. Possibly.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6094 on: April 8, 2010, 05:43:21 pm »

Must be a record!

Was more than 2 games though wasn't it.

Offline MidwestWool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wool
« Reply #6095 on: April 8, 2010, 05:43:21 pm »

Must be a record!

Except it contains discussions for all games in the CL quarter-final stage.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #6096 on: April 8, 2010, 05:44:48 pm »

Must be a record!

Arent the first legs here so technically it's 4?

And we have separate pre match, formerly had in match, and post match threads for each game, this is the whole lot in one thread though so its not that unusual...
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline the_prodigal_s0n

• Whats occurrin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6097 on: April 8, 2010, 05:46:18 pm »

And we have separate pre match, formerly had in match, and post match threads for each game, this is the whole lot in one thread though so its not that unusual...
8 actually. Less that 20 pages per match if you look at it like that. Still quite a lot! Not as much as Liverpool threads when we get a bad result, mind.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6098 on: April 8, 2010, 05:56:33 pm »
Mainly 4 games were discussed. Discussions of Lyon-Bordeaux and Inter-CSKA games were in sum probably not more than 1-2 pages.

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #6099 on: April 8, 2010, 06:15:02 pm »
Was more than 2 games though wasn't it.
Except it contains discussions for all games in the CL quarter-final stage.

Well thats told me then!
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #6100 on: April 8, 2010, 10:10:21 pm »
I see nothing has really been mentioned by the media about Ferguson's blurt about the German remark.  Overshadowed about his decision to play Rooney and the fact he is now injured,what a  great managerial decision.

Had it been Rafa he would have been absolutely hung, drawn and quartered big time firstly for playing one of the clubs just coming back from injury influential player's. Secondly for his mumbled outburst about German's, then again Rafa has more class than to stoop so low as he did last night.

IF Rooney misses the next few games and as a result the title leave Old Trafford and Rooney isn't fit for the world cup, there may well be some finger pointing.

Has anyone seen Van Gaals comments, Rafa like they are.
Also I think the BBC earlier were saying that Utd 'crashed out' which makes a refreshing change!
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6101 on: April 8, 2010, 10:25:14 pm »
But they're spot on ???

The way United started that game is something we should take note of.

You mean like tonight? When Benfica had most of the possession in the early stages? Matches last 90 minutes and you can't keep up the intensity like that for the whole game. Our manager paces our team, Ferguson goes all out attack early on, trying to grab an early lead, then play on the counter. Neither are wrong, but the way some people go on, it's like there's only one option.
« Last Edit: April 8, 2010, 10:29:14 pm by Hazell »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Zaffarious

• likes 2 mins from the toilet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Militant Fan
« Reply #6102 on: April 8, 2010, 10:32:59 pm »
btw, can i just say ribery was a load of bollocks i thought, got dominated by rafael for 60mins. i used to dream of us signing, now i really hope we avoid him.. sorry if that sounds knee jerkish but over 2 legs i thought he did fuck all.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6103 on: April 8, 2010, 10:42:19 pm »
Haha good bye.

But I can't believe just went out against such a bad defensive team. Not impressed by Bayern at all, they'll go out against Lyon and it'll be Lyon-Barca in the final and Lyon will win ;)
Agger wasn't a bad left back tonight was he mate - remember this....."Stop writing Agger as fucking left back".

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #6104 on: April 8, 2010, 10:52:21 pm »
btw, can i just say ribery was a load of bollocks i thought, got dominated by rafael for 60mins. i used to dream of us signing, now i really hope we avoid him.. sorry if that sounds knee jerkish but over 2 legs i thought he did fuck all.

You were watching a different first leg to me then, where from my spot on the terraces he gave dear old Gary Neville a right roasting. He was pretty poor by and large last night, I agree, but one bad game doesn't make him shite; he's been their main man for nigh on three years now.
DAMMIT!

Offline muyuu

• Google Groomer. reddit remain campaigner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact
"Chelsea have confirmed that their interim fans will leave the club when Roman Abramovich does"
-sinnermichael

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=303961.msg11432382#msg11432382

Offline cos_my_mother's a_scouser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6106 on: April 9, 2010, 03:27:51 pm »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8608585.stm

Mr Alex Ferguson on the wednesday's game. 

I am amazed at just how much the journo's are terrified of him during his press conferences. these guys write articles full of balls, full of opinions but put them face to face with a manager like Mr Alex Ferguson they go to pieces. 

No one was brave enough to tackle him his point that "teams like them" get at the ref (durso anyone? or any man united match for that matter).  Also you can literally hear the trepidation in the journo's voices when they ask a vaguely loaded question.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #6107 on: April 9, 2010, 03:30:37 pm »
Wonder what Capello made of him starting Rooney after the injury.

I haven't been following the press, has he been lambasted for this by any journos
or for the ''typical germans'' comment?

No doubt if it was Rafa who had started an injured Torres or anyone else he
would be vilified.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline cos_my_mother's a_scouser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6108 on: April 9, 2010, 03:36:20 pm »
Wonder what Capello made of him starting Rooney after the injury.

I haven't been following the press, has he been lambasted for this by any journos
or for the ''typical germans'' comment?

No doubt if it was Rafa who had started an injured Torres or anyone else he
would be vilified.

From what little press I have seen, it (typical germans) has been reported on but there wasn't the vilification I would have expected.  He won't be charged by UEFA either - that's been confirmed.  Not sure there is much worse things he could of said...

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #6109 on: April 9, 2010, 03:42:42 pm »
From what little press I have seen, it (typical germans) has been reported on but there wasn't the vilification I would have expected.  He won't be charged by UEFA either - that's been confirmed.  Not sure there is much worse things he could of said...

That's cos the press have twisted the comment to make it look more acceptable.
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6110 on: April 9, 2010, 03:47:46 pm »
Typical journos
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #6111 on: April 9, 2010, 04:57:45 pm »
Also I think the BBC earlier were saying that Utd 'crashed out' which makes a refreshing change!
Not really, and maybe I'm being over-sensitive and a little devil's advocate-ish, but I would not expect to see "United", "Crashed" and "Munich" in the same headline any more than I'd expect to see "Liverpool", "Crushed" and, well, you get the idea.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #6112 on: April 9, 2010, 05:33:53 pm »
Not really, and maybe I'm being over-sensitive and a little devil's advocate-ish, but I would not expect to see "United", "Crashed" and "Munich" in the same headline any more than I'd expect to see "Liverpool", "Crushed" and, well, you get the idea.

I reckon you are giving the press far too much credit to be honest.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6113 on: April 9, 2010, 06:19:58 pm »

Second result on Google for "Liverpool crushed"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/fa_cup/4820136.stm
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6114 on: April 9, 2010, 06:20:50 pm »
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Ferg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6115 on: April 9, 2010, 09:40:08 pm »
Just been texted a good one.
What do Fairy Liquid, Leeds and Bayern Munich have in common?
They all get scum out of cups.

I'll my coat.....
Who wouldn't want to kick someone called Ferguson?
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
A big heart has space for everyone.

Offline jimmymack

• Main Stander
« Reply #6116 on: April 9, 2010, 10:18:02 pm »
Shanks and Houllier didn't think it was an excuse.

Offline jimmymack

• Main Stander
« Reply #6117 on: April 9, 2010, 10:23:26 pm »
not the same trophy as it used to be, when shanks and houllier were in charge!

Offline mildale

• Mildly Jealous of a custom title
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6118 on: April 9, 2010, 10:24:30 pm »
not the same trophy as it used to be, when shanks and houllier were in charge!

It's exactly the same trophy. Isn't it?!
www.twitter.com/mildale89

Oh and dont use Mars bars as sex tools. Took me ages to get it all out.

Offline jimmymack

• Main Stander
« Reply #6119 on: April 9, 2010, 10:35:03 pm »
It's exactly the same trophy. Isn't it?!