Author Topic: Marvel Musings. Now with Spidey Spoilers.  (Read 631311 times)

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
Re: Captain America 2, Agents of SHIELD and Other Marvel "Phase Two" Musings
« Reply #200 on: February 19, 2014, 07:12:48 am »
Absolutely immense amount of toys and other merchandise for kids shown off for this over the weekend at the Toy Fair in the US. I think Disney are definitely expecting this to be a hit with children.
My daughter is a massive fan of the Animal Avengers books, and this has her as excited as anything I have ever seen! Looks fun, and glad they've held back the other Guardians in the trailer.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #201 on: February 19, 2014, 10:02:57 am »
Quite like that teaser trailer.  Considering the subject matter, I think they're going the right way about it with this movie.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Geormajesty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: February 19, 2014, 11:20:49 am »
Nine Inch Nails in the trailer, I'm sold. This looks good, I hope it does well and vindicates what is a fairly large gamble for Marvel.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: February 19, 2014, 11:46:14 am »
Quite like that teaser trailer.  Considering the subject matter, I think they're going the right way about it with this movie.

I know nothing about this film but Marvel have got some Director whos only other film is 'Super', which was dull. I would imagine this has all the potential to be terrible.

Offline Vintage Nerd

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: February 19, 2014, 11:53:30 am »
I know nothing about this film but Marvel have got some Director whos only other film is 'Super', which was dull. I would imagine this has all the potential to be terrible.

He also did Slither, and I am pretty sure he wrote the Dawn of the Dead rehash (but I had would need to check that!). I like the obscure choice by Marvel.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Hunter S. Thompso
n

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: February 19, 2014, 12:02:46 pm »

It looks marvellous.

Its left field, its a risk, its whatever.

ITS BRILLIANT.

Marvel have gone "you know what, yeah, Guardians of the Galaxy. Fuck it, that'll be great" They havent tried to go with the big name, or cast a huge bankable star as its lead, theyve just gone and made a fun film. A cosmic, space-comedy style film with a talking raccoon. I hope it kills it, but even if it doesnt explode financially, it wont bother Marvel. It wont deter them from making these fun, proper comic book films that embrace all their daftness.

I know I hate on DC a lot, but this is the perfect example of their bumbling around in their movies. DC are still struggling to figure out Wonder Woman and Green Lantern, staples of their house. They wont embrace their silly side because Green Lantern was a turd of a film, so they base it all on Nolan's gritty Batman. Which is fine for Batman. But then you do it for Man of Steel. Everything is darker, grittier, theres entire cities getting demolished, everything is grey and dark because its "real". And its just not fun, its disconnected from the comics, and when Marvel are showing us how they can embrace those roots and make something fantastic, it just feels..... hollow.

This is the Superman I love:

Its hopeful, and warm, and hes helping people and he just wants to save everybody. And then DC go "nah" and have him being mopey and Pa Kent tells him maybe you should let people die, and hes not giving a shit about if theres casualties or civilians, then he kills Zod and hes fine a while later. WHAT?  I get being more realistic, I do, but its the total disregard for anything remotely silly from the comics that means their films dont sit as well with me.

Marvel take risks, they want to be connected to their comics and I love that. DC would never in a million years make a movie like this.

I hope Guardians knocks it out of the fucking park.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #206 on: February 19, 2014, 12:13:03 pm »
marvel can afford to take more risks no?  financially speaking

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: February 19, 2014, 12:16:47 pm »

To be fair, prior to Captain America 2 the Russo brothers were only really known for directing episodes of Community, and that's looking like it'll be the best film of Phase 2. I have faith that the stable structure setup at Marvel means they have a pretty good eye for picking people for certain projects, rather than just going for big names all the time.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #208 on: February 19, 2014, 01:10:28 pm »

Marvel are in a great position, in that Avengers 2 is more or less guaranteed to make an absolute killing.

DC has come to the end of its own most succesful cycle with the last of the Nolan/Bale Batman movies. As they were self-contained, there's nothing for them to spin off from that. It made perfect sense for the Nolan Batman not to be part of a super-hero universe, but it does put them back to square one. Man of Steel got a mixed reaction, Green Lantern stank the place out. They've somehow made a hit tv show of Arrow, as they did with Smallvile but they aren't connecting either show back into an ongoing continuity with the movies, and comics fans do love a good continuity.

They now need to bootstrap an entire extended universe into the sequel to a movie that wasn't as good as it should have been to begin with. It could work, but it looks a bit desperate, and if it fails then once again they are back where they started. Guardians could flop and it would have no effect on Avengers 2, because the basis for Avengers 2's budget and so on will be Avengers 1, not Guardians of the Galaxy.

"Superman and the Super Friends" really needs to nail it if they want to spin off any other movies, or they'll be back to yet another reboot.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: February 19, 2014, 01:18:07 pm »

Well the studio is a subsidiary of Disney, and they've released the 3rd and 5th highest grossing films of all time so I'd imagine they'd be able to take a few less profitable films especially when they've got two more Avengers films (at least) plus at least another Thor and Captain America movie to space out between the more risky releases their planning (Ant Man and the rumoured Dr Strange and Black Panther movies).

Definitely looking forward to Guardians, should hopefully be a lot of fun.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #210 on: February 19, 2014, 01:50:12 pm »
Just on the future of the Marvel films, from what I remember recently, they've trademarked the name "New Avengers" for movie rights etc and I can see this being used as a relaunch for a fourth Avengers film so that the numbering doesn't get stale/turn people off. Expect deaths and legacy characters to take over between now and then.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #211 on: February 19, 2014, 02:01:36 pm »
Just on the future of the Marvel films, from what I remember recently, they've trademarked the name "New Avengers" for movie rights etc and I can see this being used as a relaunch for a fourth Avengers film so that the numbering doesn't get stale/turn people off. Expect deaths and legacy characters to take over between now and then.

Avengers 4 is likely to be at least 8 years off, by which time Robert Downey Jr will be 56. It's fair to say they'll want to inject some fresh blood by then, one way or another.

And if Sony keep on losing money at the rate they have been for the last few years, it wouldn't amaze me if Disney ended up owning Columbia Pictures, which would mean they could finally get Spider-Man onto the team. But that's another matter entirely...
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: February 19, 2014, 03:58:20 pm »
Avengers 4 is likely to be at least 8 years off, by which time Robert Downey Jr will be 56.

FUCK. OFF.  :o

Can definitely see them going down the Stark Retiring and a younger guy taking on the persona route, or him Dying.

Just thinking that we might get Avengers 4 is mind blowing to me when a decade ago comic book films were still few and far between, and a big risk.

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: February 19, 2014, 07:03:12 pm »
Looks great fun, even if it is aimed at kids I'll be going to watch it.

Anyone else notice "The Collector" in the trailer?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 07:25:25 pm by Draex »

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #214 on: February 19, 2014, 10:38:24 pm »
Guardians of the Galaxy trailer looks the right kinda fun if I'm honest... ;D

And apparently the Racoon has a girlfriend... Lylla... an otter...

Take my money now Marvel!

Offline Vintage Nerd

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: February 19, 2014, 10:53:30 pm »
Thought this an opportune moment to post a slightly outdated picture of my Guardians (1969 - Now) collection, circa 12 months ago, so doesn't include most of the Marvel Now run, One Shots etc, as well as guest appearances I've picked up.

Yes. I can't wait for this film.  :)
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Hunter S. Thompso
n

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: February 19, 2014, 11:22:02 pm »
The Marvel Now run under Bendis is horrible, that guy sadly doesn't get sci-fi at all. I'd love to have the DnA run like you've got! Marvel are delaying their trade paperback release when I want them all now!

Offline Vintage Nerd

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: February 19, 2014, 11:24:58 pm »
The Marvel Now run under Bendis is horrible, that guy sadly doesn't get sci-fi at all. I'd love to have the DnA run like you've got! Marvel are delaying their trade paperback release when I want them all now!

They`ve delayed it to the week of the film haven`t they? Would have made sense to get it out now. Apparently the older HC`s are going for quite a lot too.

Hunter S. Thompso
n

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: February 19, 2014, 11:29:52 pm »
No idea about when they're being released just yet, I'd imagine that they bring them out in July though to get them in stores first. Same as what they're doing with the Captain America: Winter Soldier collections right now.

Offline Vintage Nerd

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: February 19, 2014, 11:32:30 pm »
No idea about when they're being released just yet, I'd imagine that they bring them out in July though to get them in stores first. Same as what they're doing with the Captain America: Winter Soldier collections right now.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/SuperheroStation/news/?a=92425

Hunter S. Thompso
n

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #220 on: February 20, 2014, 12:54:52 am »
Can't wait for this. Be great to get something a bit different from Marvel Studios. The cinematic MU has become very formulaic and IM3 and Thor 2 were pretty disappointing personally.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: February 20, 2014, 01:47:24 am »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/SuperheroStation/news/?a=92425

Well that's interesting. Amazon get the collections two weeks later than comic shops from the distributor so I know where I'll be getting this "early" ;D Coincidentally I'm getting the Annihilation collection that is mentioned there, and that is ripe for adaptation into a sequel for this.

Can't wait for this. Be great to get something a bit different from Marvel Studios. The cinematic MU has become very formulaic and IM3 and Thor 2 were pretty disappointing personally.

I thought Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 were great individual films but didn't do much to help lead us toward the next Avengers film like the first ones did.

IM3 had a tough job on its hands to bring some freshness to the series after what I thought was a very poor run-of-the-mill sequel in IM2, and did so brilliantly.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 02:15:49 am by OsirisMVZ »

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: February 20, 2014, 09:44:01 pm »

From the marvel tumblr.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: February 21, 2014, 12:40:33 am »
You're welcome  ;D
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: February 21, 2014, 08:43:18 am »
Was reading on NME.com the rumours are one of the as yet unannounced Marvel films for 2016 will be a guardians of the galaxy sequel.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: February 21, 2014, 09:00:52 am »
Another is Dr Strange and they've just begun the hunt for directors. Main candidates are apparently:

Mark Andrews (Brave)
Nikolaj Arcel (A Royal Affair, the screenplay for The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2009))
Dean Israelite (Welcome to Yesterday)
Jonathan Levine (50/50, Warm Bodies)

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: February 21, 2014, 11:54:35 am »
"You're welcome"

Oh Marvel, I love you.

Offline Geormajesty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: February 21, 2014, 03:44:41 pm »
Spoiler
James Gunn says we'll be hearing Rocket Racoon speak very soon, which I assume means we're going to get a teaser at the end of Captain America 2.
[close]

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #229 on: February 21, 2014, 06:12:02 pm »
youll hear rocket in the next trailer. we have started work on it already.

just watched about 40mins of the film. i think itll do pretty well. i wasnt expecting much but chris pratt has enough charisma to carry it and rocket and groot should go down really well.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: February 21, 2014, 06:28:52 pm »

just watched about 40mins of the film. i think itll do pretty well. i wasnt expecting much but chris pratt has enough charisma to carry it and rocket and groot should go down really well.
How child-orientated is it?

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #231 on: February 21, 2014, 06:41:46 pm »
same as avengers id say

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: February 21, 2014, 07:00:02 pm »

I don't know if you're really lucky, or unlucky.

You get to see all this awesome stuff before we all do, but it must spoil the magic of it all for you slightly?

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #233 on: February 21, 2014, 08:48:15 pm »
I don't know if you're really lucky, or unlucky.

You get to see all this awesome stuff before we all do, but it must spoil the magic of it all for you slightly?

It ruins it in some ways but enhances in others. This is one of the few films I've worked on id actually pay to go watch. Even if it ends up crap. So most the time it doesn't matter if they're spoilt ;)

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #234 on: February 21, 2014, 10:31:33 pm »
It ruins it in some ways but enhances in others. This is one of the few films I've worked on id actually pay to go watch. Even if it ends up crap. So most the time it doesn't matter if they're spoilt ;)
What type of things do you do for the films?  [don't need specific details more interested in the role you play]
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: February 22, 2014, 08:54:50 am »
What type of things do you do for the films?  [don't need specific details more interested in the role you play]

He trains racoons.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: February 22, 2014, 10:01:55 am »
And he's Matthew McConaughey.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: February 22, 2014, 11:00:54 am »
And he's Matthew McConaughey.
What's he doing on the set of GotG?
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #238 on: February 22, 2014, 11:36:59 am »
He trains racoons.

Kind of...

I do visual fx.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: February 22, 2014, 02:08:25 pm »
What's he doing on the set of GotG?
he's Matthew McConaughey, he does what the fuck he wants.