Author Topic: CL 1st leg: L’pool 0 v Bayern 0  (Read 42860 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
CL 1st leg: L’pool 0 v Bayern 0
« on: February 19, 2019, 06:14:27 pm »

H2H
Liverpool W4, D2, L1

10 European Cups

Liverpool, 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984, 2005
Bayern Munich, 1974, 1975, 1976, 2001, 2013

With all the recent talk of title races, must-win games, pressure, tension and anxiety, isn’t it nice to take a break from it all with a more soothing sounding Champions League round of 16 tie against Bayern Munich?

Well, maybe not. But while it may not be ideal for our heart rates, this is what we have wanted for years. Ladies and Gentleman, we are well and truly back dining at the top table and there is no better place to demonstrate it than in this competition.

While we’re here, we may as well be facing off against one of those rarest of clubs; one of a similar pedigree to ours. Never mind hoping for an easy route, bring them all on, I say. Anfield is made for nights like these, and Liverpool were made for ties like these. So too, you could argue, were Bayern Munich. Yet, this is the first time since 1981 that we have faced each other in European Cup action…

Previous Meetings
It is a curiosity that two teams that have had so much success in this competition, with 5 European Cups each to our names, have only encountered each other once along the way. We have played the Bavarian giants just six times in competitive fixtures in our history (the Audi Cup shall only be deemed competitive should we win it) starting with 4 games in a single calendar year back in 1971. Firstly, we met them in the Fairs Cup, the predecessor to the UEFA Cup and is, as far as I can tell, the only top honour these teams are eligible to play in that neither of us ever won. We got the better of them as we followed up a convincing 3 nil victory at Anfield with a 1 all draw in Munich, but Leeds went on to win the trophy.

Seven months later we met again, this time in the Cup Winner’s Cup. The first leg was again played at Anfield, this time ending 0-0 before a 3-1 defeat in Munich levelled the head to head. The most famous fixture between the teams, however, came in the 1981 European Cup semi-finals. Once again the first leg was played at Anfield and once again Munich failed to score there, meaning that on their fourth visit on the 19th February, they will be looking for their first competitive goal in our famous old stadium. Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, their outspoken modern day chairman, played in each leg. The second leg may well get a mention in the reverse pre-match thread so I won’t go in to it too much, the link for the first leg is below if you fancy getting nostalgic and the second leg can easily be found on Youtube as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAr3AbXKMOI

I’m sure some of our wiser, more experienced (older, more ancient) posters will have some nice memories of those early fixtures. Alun Evans, Howard Gayle, Ray Kennedy, Gerd Muller, Franz Beckenbauer…

The only meeting I was alive for was the 2001 Super Cup final, and what a game that was. I ran out into the kitchen after 2 minutes to let my dad know that some ginger bloke called “Rye eyes” had just scored. “It’s Riise, Son,” my Dad replied “and he’s the next Roberto Carlos.” Heskey and Owen added to that lead and we went on to win 3-2. If you’re looking for good omens heading into this game then it’s maybe worth remembering where we were the last time we played them; a rock solid defence backed up by an attack capable of goals galore, en route to a fifth trophy in six months. We’ve got the defence, we’ve got the goals, can we add that other bit to the mixture?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/P3-C6uS7e5A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/P3-C6uS7e5A</a>

Common Foes
We know all about the pedigree of our opponents, who like us look at the Champions League as the holy grail. They come into this season more desperate than ever for European success after a series of heartbreaks in season’s past. In each of the last two years they have been undone by Real Madrid at the semi final stage. If you felt we were unlucky with reffing decisions in last years final then go and have a look at the way Munich were eliminated in the Bernabeu two seasons ago, courtesy of 2 Ronaldo offside goals and an incorrect red card. Last season they were very close to meeting us in the final in Kiev, but after a host of missed chances and an outrageous goalkeeping error (shudder) could only consider themselves unfortunate not to have made it after a great performance in the second leg.

In Real Madrid we have one foe in common, but another is much closer to home.

Rummenigge has been one of the most outspoken critics of the way that Man City and PSG have seemingly cheated FFP rules in order to hit their current heights, describing them both as “to blame for the current spending madness”. You look at Bayern’s dominance of Bundesliga in recent years, as well as their ability to consistently compete for major European honours, and it almost comes as a surprise nowadays that they have managed it while keeping ticket prices low, fans happy, without any debt and recording a profit for a whopping 26 seasons in a row.

If, like me, you’re a subscriber to the belief that football is a mirror to society, then you might see some similarities in these footballing politics with those of real life. Bayern, Liverpool and the likes are portrayed by City (and PSG) as the establishment, protected by UEFA, fat cats sat at the top in a system fixed to benefit only them. City, meanwhile, are the humble, downtrodden underdogs who are rebelling against it, twisting the rules (and the truth) and gaining their funding from all kinds of shady places. Originally laughed off and underestimated, only to go on and gain substantial success and leave us reeling. Yes, I’m comparing PSG and City to the Brexit campaign, and I’m going to run with it.

The reality is that Bayern is a fantastically well-run club, which is something else that we can say we have in common after it emerged we broke the profit record in the accounts published last week. Bayern have been head and shoulders above the rest in Germany and that is why they have had so much dominance. Being able to nick Dortmund’s best players every year helps as well, mind.

We aren’t perfect by any means; any club putting fans in white t-shirts and presenting them in a way which advertises “T Mobile” in the stands, or makes revenue out of having doughnut or lubricant partners, has surely lost the sense of what football was originally about somewhere along the line. But we’re surely better than these state funded new boys on the block?

Anyway, all this is to say, that we have a great deal in common with our Bavarian brothers. I’m sure they will be given a warm Anfield welcome and we will get the same for the second leg. Two genuine giants, it’s the sort of game everybody wants to see.

The Match
I’m sure others will have been following Bayern much closer than I throughout the season, but even a quick look at the table shows you that they haven’t had it all their own way. Dortmund lead the way still, looking for their first title since our beloved Jurgen so majestically gegenpressed the Bayern dominance to pieces. They have improved as of late, finding the goals again, and you certainly wouldn’t rule them out of the title race yet.

If improved form is a warning then a bigger one should be that form pretty much goes out of the window anyway when you get a heavyweight like Bayern in a European tie. They are going to be a tough opponent. Ageing players like Robben and Ribery may have lost some of their terrifying ability over the course of a long slog of a season, but these are the nights that they’ll still believe they can make a massive difference in. We saw it with Real Madrid last season; slacking in the league but they always felt at home in this competition.

Muller is of course suspended, and Neuer is a doubt for them as well. For us, Virgil is a big loss but we’d surely rather have him for that second leg where chances are we’ll end up under a barrage at some point. Barrage that is, not Frottage, I've left the Brexit comparisons alone for now. One other thing to watch out for is that VAR will be introduced in time for this game. That’ll be an interesting one. I’ve been quite a fan of it, watching as a neutral, but Jesus, can you imagine getting pegged back and waiting for a decision over a goal for 5 minutes in this one?

One of the big talking points for this game is that, while we haven’t faced Bayern a great deal in our history, our current manager certainly has. One of his toughest nights in management came in that 2013 final at Wembley, where a late Arjen Robben goal saw his Dortmund side who’d won the hearts of everyone in football come up just short. Revenge won’t be near the front of his mind, and even Bayern Munich fans all seem to love our Jurgen Norbert, but I’m sure he’d take some extra satisfaction in getting to the quarter final if it’s at their expense.

For us, we have a nice little break now, which to be fair hasn’t always worked in our favour this season. But a big European night is just what the doctor ordered, and in my opinion will also be a boost for our league campaign. The league is the bread and butter but this is the type of night that can take Anfield into a different stratosphere completely. It promises to be a brilliant tie between two heavyweights full of respect for each other. Strap yourselves in and enjoy it...we're right where we want to be.

Bring it on...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 10:17:45 pm by Tepid T₂O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
Re: CL 1st leg: L’pool v Bayern
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 06:47:18 pm »
#LFC starting XI v Bayern: Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Fabinho, Matip, Robertson, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Keita, Salah, Mane, Firmino

Subs: Mignolet, Moreno, Milner, Lallana, Shaqiri, Origi, Sturridge

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 06:50:18 pm by Tepid T₂O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 06:51:08 pm »
Bayern Munich XI vs. Liverpool: Neuer, Kimmich, Süle, Hummels, Alaba, Martínez, Thiago, Gnabry, James, Coman, Lewandowski.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 06:53:30 pm by Tepid T₂O »
W

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 08:00:49 pm »
1. We kick off, come on Redmen!
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 08:02:15 pm »
Zippy start by the reds

Offline jason67

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 08:03:23 pm »
2. Lew. falls over his feet but gets the free kick, back to their keeper, we are pressing early on. Crowd sounds great.

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 08:03:39 pm »
Zippy start by the reds
And what a pass by Alisson... oh my...
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 08:05:53 pm »
We could do with putting Neuer under pressure, another goalie who likes to pass out as well, but can overplay it.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jason67

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 08:05:56 pm »
4. Stan with a ball over the top but comes to nothing, pressing again throw in to them in their own half.

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 08:07:15 pm »
And what a pass by Alisson... oh my...
Followed by a terrible one a few minutes later

Offline jason67

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 08:07:37 pm »
6. The bigman with a bad clearance put us under a bit of pressure but we collect.

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline jason67

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 08:09:40 pm »
8. They are knocking it around in their own half, we seem to be happy with it.

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 08:09:54 pm »
Whew! Proper game between heavyweights this

Bayern weathered the first 8 minutes and have settled into a better rhythm

Offline jason67

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 08:10:52 pm »
10. cross comes in from them, we manage to get it out, back in their half.

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline jason67

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 08:12:57 pm »
12. Foul on Gini, chance for a good ball in from us...... comes back out, great ball in for Mo, couldn't convert.

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline jason67

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2019, 08:14:06 pm »
13. Pressure from them, shot, saved.

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 08:15:18 pm »
When they come forward they are so quick, we need to be more together in midfield when we don't have the ball.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 08:15:20 pm »
13. Pressure from them, shot, saved.
Matip kicked it into Alisson chest...

Offline NYCRedsFan

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destination Anfield(postponed)scratch that.Sorted
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 08:15:54 pm »
Joel with a clearance that bounced off of Allison and out... very close to an own goal
Not your typical OOT. Do-er of good deeds.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 08:16:03 pm »
Matip kicked it into Alisson chest...

Thank goodness he has a solid chest.  ;D

Offline jason67

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 08:16:09 pm »
14. Their coach points to the sky, maybe a pigeon shat on him... frantic start as expected... Shot by Mane, just wide...

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline jason67

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2019, 08:17:25 pm »
15. Another casual moment from our Bigman...nearly cost us a goal... over to ???

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline NYCRedsFan

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destination Anfield(postponed)scratch that.Sorted
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 08:17:41 pm »
Allison caught between sixes and sevens looking to pass... poorly given away, eventually with a shot that went wide.  Settle down, lads!
Not your typical OOT. Do-er of good deeds.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 08:18:17 pm »
17 Thank Jase, a pretty even game so far, both keepers are being pressed and have looked a bit rushed as a result.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2019, 08:19:50 pm »
18' Another situation there were Bayern were keeping players in our area and pressing the defence. The ball is over hit by Robertson and goes through to Neuer.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2019, 08:21:22 pm »
19 Some good attacking play from us there, Hendo plays it forward, pushes the ball in Salah gets a hit its blocked the ball comes back but Keita hits it wide.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2019, 08:23:04 pm »
21 Our defence is a bit sizzled there, Robertson heads the ball he doesn't realise a' Bayern player is there who gets to the ball, but luckily overhits it.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2019, 08:24:44 pm »
23 We get a free kick after a foul on Mane, by the corner flag. The ball goes across the near post but its headed up the ball comes back towards Salah, but it goes wide.

Offline jason67

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2019, 08:25:30 pm »
Good chance that for Mo....

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2019, 08:26:20 pm »
Good chance that for Mo....
I think he thought Alaba was gong to get there first
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2019, 08:26:43 pm »
25' Bayern are getting the better of us in places especially when we have the ball at the back. Each time they seem to play our defence into trouble we n eed to get players back so there is someone to pass too. Possession wise Bayern have had 60% so far.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2019, 08:28:09 pm »
26 Keita gets us a free kick after a foul by Kimmich.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2019, 08:28:47 pm »

Kimmich Yellow rules him out of the return leg

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2019, 08:29:21 pm »
28' The play there by Liverpool was so much better, we attacked with real pace between Hendo, Keita and Gini, but Bayern clear it.

Offline jason67

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2019, 08:29:40 pm »
Booking as well, misses next game.

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2019, 08:29:49 pm »
Kimmich Yellow rules him out of the return leg
Stupid foul.  There was cover and it was miles form goal.
W

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2019, 08:29:57 pm »
Bayern coach gets a warning from the ref for carrying on too much

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2019, 08:30:56 pm »
29' Interesting that since Fabhino has come forward a bit more we've looked much better, Bayern are still defending well.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2019, 08:31:47 pm »
30' We have another run forward, but the ball goes long.

Over to Rush82.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2019, 08:31:49 pm »
30' Superb by Liverpool in a quick break via Gini. Robbo overcooks his punt across to Salah/TAA - pity - that was good break