Author Topic: Old photos of and around Liverpool  (Read 834431 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Old photos of and around Liverpool
« Reply #3880 on: March 17, 2021, 12:10:51 pm »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #3881 on: March 17, 2021, 02:20:36 pm »
Yes, that's them :D

Gott in Himmel  ;D
Forgot about that one  :lmao
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3882 on: March 17, 2021, 05:28:59 pm »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3883 on: March 17, 2021, 06:11:20 pm »

Gott in Himmel  ;D

Who did you get into, and why was it so important to tell mel?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #3884 on: March 17, 2021, 06:14:03 pm »
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3885 on: March 17, 2021, 06:30:05 pm »
Who did you get into, and why was it so important to tell mel?

It was a close friend and Melanie was my then girlfriend  :D

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3886 on: March 17, 2021, 06:44:19 pm »
It was a close friend and Melanie was my then girlfriend  :D

Well that's all right then. ;)

Popcorn's Art

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #3887 on: March 23, 2021, 09:59:26 pm »
Some cracking pictures on The Four Squares Facebook Page  :wave

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3888 on: March 23, 2021, 10:17:56 pm »
These?

Commando magazine was required reading in the early 1960s as was Captain Hurricane RM and his side kick 'Maggot' Malone who fetured in the Valiant.

Hurricane was famed for his raging fury, which he often turned on the invidious sneaky Japs, occasionally on the Krauts who were sometimes seen as a bit more gentlemanly, unless of course they wore a monocle and jackboots.

Racially sterotyping de rigeur in those halcyon days.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3889 on: March 24, 2021, 10:32:39 am »
Commando magazine was required reading in the early 1960s as was Captain Hurricane RM and his side kick 'Maggot' Malone who fetured in the Valiant.

Hurricane was famed for his raging fury, which he often turned on the invidious sneaky Japs, occasionally on the Krauts who were sometimes seen as a bit more gentlemanly, unless of course they wore a monocle and jackboots.

Racially sterotyping de rigeur in those halcyon days.

Pretty understandable when you think how raw the war still was, especially what the Japanese did to POWs, I can imagine they were really hated by ex servicemen and this was passed down. My great uncle was destroyed by the Japanese in a POW camp, he was never right until the day he died.

I know a little bit about Japanese attitudes due to doing Kendo and Karate and they really do not accept surrender, military service was to the death and therefore they treated POWs with contempt.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #3890 on: March 24, 2021, 11:32:52 am »
Pretty understandable when you think how raw the war still was, especially what the Japanese did to POWs, I can imagine they were really hated by ex servicemen and this was passed down. My great uncle was destroyed by the Japanese in a POW camp, he was never right until the day he died.

I know a little bit about Japanese attitudes due to doing Kendo and Karate and they really do not accept surrender, military service was to the death and therefore they treated POWs with contempt.
I know we're a bit off topic but the film Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence sheds a lot of light on that......

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3891 on: March 24, 2021, 01:05:15 pm »
I know we're a bit off topic but the film Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence sheds a lot of light on that......

Far East POWs returning. 3:44 shows the SS Manowai docking in Liverpool

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9-B7g-QY1VE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9-B7g-QY1VE</a>

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3892 on: March 26, 2021, 09:42:37 am »

The people who run this site https://www.pows-of-japan.net/guestbook2/guestbook.php know most of everything re Japanese POWs, if you want to enquire about someone you know. They did wonders for me.
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3893 on: March 27, 2021, 06:51:49 pm »

1904 & 1927.

Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3894 on: March 27, 2021, 07:23:08 pm »
What's going on in the 1904 pic Med? Is it foundations for something?

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3895 on: March 27, 2021, 07:34:38 pm »
What's going on in the 1904 pic Med? Is it foundations for something?

Both photos of what is now Paddy's Wigwam mate.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3896 on: March 27, 2021, 07:37:30 pm »
Both photos of what is now Paddy's Wigwam mate.

So for the Lutyen's Crypt then. :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3897 on: March 27, 2021, 08:05:09 pm »
So for the Lutyen's Crypt then. :)
;)

Dunno if i should be amazed at this one..did stun me a bit like.

Leaving this one for the 'southern softies' in ere to get this location.  :D
Don't look bottom right*
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 08:07:41 pm by Medellin »

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3898 on: March 27, 2021, 08:30:03 pm »
;)

Dunno if i should be amazed at this one..did stun me a bit like.

Leaving this one for the 'southern softies' in ere to get this location.  :D
Don't look bottom right*

With all that wood I though it was the Bullens

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3899 on: March 27, 2021, 08:53:56 pm »

I'm confused by the angle on this one. What's the corner? I'd assumed if this is the crypt then it would be Brownlow Hill on the left and where the gravestones are is now where the student guild on the right. But then I thought 'Where's the Victoria Building?' which would be top left in my scenario. So I must have it wrong. But I can't quite rotate it in my mind.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3900 on: March 27, 2021, 09:08:49 pm »
I'm confused by the angle on this one. What's the corner? I'd assumed if this is the crypt then it would be Brownlow Hill on the left and where the gravestones are is now where the student guild on the right. But then I thought 'Where's the Victoria Building?' which would be top left in my scenario. So I must have it wrong. But I can't quite rotate it in my mind.

Bravo! +1

Now to confirm the right place!

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #3901 on: March 27, 2021, 09:39:46 pm »
This is the Anglican Cathedral  ;)

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #3902 on: March 27, 2021, 09:50:56 pm »

This is the building at the very top of the picture.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3903 on: April 1, 2021, 08:23:02 pm »
YO! Asking which one would you bring back?

https://twitter.com/YOLiverpool/status/1373680150718652425?s=20

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3904 on: April 1, 2021, 08:27:50 pm »
Dunno the scale of it but I'd like to see our castle rebuilt on the festival site which is a very close second to the dockers umbrella.
Very tough call that.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3905 on: April 1, 2021, 09:11:50 pm »
The overhead railway.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #3906 on: April 1, 2021, 09:43:19 pm »
I'd love to have Liverpool Castle reinstated.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3907 on: April 2, 2021, 04:37:29 am »
Torn between the castle and the Ovee.  Probably leaning towards the latter but that's tough.  The Sailor's Home going was a(nother) modern-day disgrace.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3908 on: April 2, 2021, 08:43:11 am »
Can you imagine us having a castle!
As bonkers as it sounds..fuck knows how much it would cost, the visitor numbers..liners seeing it from the mersey too.
As much as I'd love to see the overhead railway return..the castle has to be No1.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3909 on: April 2, 2021, 09:04:57 am »
Can you imagine us having a castle!
As bonkers as it sounds..fuck knows how much it would cost, the visitor numbers..liners seeing it from the mersey too.
As much as I'd love to see the overhead railway return..the castle has to be No1.

If it was the original castle that had never been knocked down then yes, but a modern built one would just be a fake. Anyway, you can see Anfield from the liners, what more do you want?  8)

The overhead railway would have a function these days, proper transport into town and could also be used in Spiderman films.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3910 on: April 3, 2021, 08:43:01 am »
Booker Ave garage 1938

Online moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #3911 on: April 3, 2021, 08:56:32 am »
I love this thread.
Looks like an early adopter of 5G tower!!!
I recall this petrol station being there in the 70s , when did it close/ was it demolished? Also remember one on Lance Lane where the doctors is now.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3912 on: April 3, 2021, 10:05:05 am »

I recall this petrol station being there in the 70s , when did it close/ was it demolished? Also remember one on Lance Lane where the doctors is now.
They built a mini Co-op and 2 houses on the site about 3 years ago mate.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #3913 on: April 3, 2021, 10:08:59 am »
Booker Ave garage 1938

Never knew you were a decent photographer back in the day...

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3914 on: April 3, 2021, 10:21:18 am »
Torn between the castle and the Ovee.  Probably leaning towards the latter but that's tough.  The Sailor's Home going was a(nother) modern-day disgrace.

Torn down the year I was born for a civil service office that was never built. Spent the next 30 years as a hole in the ground till they built Liverpool One.

As for the castle, there's always the scale replica of it as a ruin up by Rivington Reservoir.

Edit: forgive the poor image quality, I had to compress these from maps on my phone.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2021, 10:27:42 am by Red Berry »

Popcorn's Art

Online moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #3915 on: April 3, 2021, 10:45:29 am »
They built a mini Co-op and 2 houses on the site about 3 years ago mate.

Yeah I know that (2016 opened) , but the garage wasn’t open until then - do you know when it closed?

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3916 on: April 3, 2021, 01:09:40 pm »
If it was the original castle that had never been knocked down then yes, but a modern built one would just be a fake. Anyway, you can see Anfield from the liners, what more do you want?  8)

The overhead railway would have a function these days, proper transport into town and could also be used in Spiderman films.

The Overhead Railway out to Bramley Moore? We’d never hear the last of it.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3917 on: April 3, 2021, 06:50:03 pm »
St Peters Church..was apparently where Primark is now, demolished in 1922.

..and inside..

..from YO!

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3918 on: April 4, 2021, 11:09:32 am »
Correct.

The underground tunnels run from Olive Mount Cuttings to Edge Hill Station through the university campus, down the side of Brownlow Hill, and into the back of Lime Street Station.

If you think about it, there is aplaza in front of The Augustus John, and Mountford Hall that isn't built over. this is where the rail tunnels run underneath.

there's a well published photo somewhere,, looking from the other direction, while under construction.

Found this. Its not the photoI was looking for. Shows the view from the University tower, looking uphill, with Mountford Hall loower right.

« Last Edit: April 4, 2021, 11:41:32 am by Big Red Richie »

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3919 on: April 4, 2021, 11:19:02 am »
This is the building at the very top of the picture.

Googlemap 3D to the rescue.  It's hard to get the exact position as the Anglican blocks the shot, so I've approximated with the little mausoleum in top left.

Incidentally for anybody who doesn't know, that little mausoleum is a dumping ground for orphaned statues from buildings in the city that have been demolished.

Popcorn's Art