Author Topic: Decent films forgotten  (Read 25159 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Decent films forgotten
« on: November 26, 2020, 11:56:07 pm »
OK, bit of a weird thread title but here is my thinking.... with all the lockdown in 2020 I’ve probably watched every decent film I can think of off the top of my head. Scrolling through the various apps (Netflix, Prime, CinemaHD) I’ve seemingly watched all I think is decent. Plus there is a lack of new films coming out at the cinema and then dropping to streams.

So it got me thinking that I must have watched hundreds, likely thousands, of movies in my life. Loads of which will have been really good but I’ve simply forgotten about them. They aren’t one of the greats, or part of a big franchise, but they weren’t shite either and they aren’t in the first few hundred in the list when I look on the apps.

So what are your films which you really like, could be really well known even, but just sort of forgotten about.

Not going to lie, I haven’t thought of mine yet. Posted this as just spent yet another 20 minutes trying to find something to watch  ;D

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
Re: Decent films forgotten
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 12:08:20 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gt9HkO-cGGo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gt9HkO-cGGo</a>
:D

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 12:34:07 am »
I'll go for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - because I remember I definitely liked it but now I can't remember what happened (which is quite fitting given the theme of the movie!). Definitely was more emotional than I was expecting so I'm gonna have to give it another look.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 06:46:20 am »
A Scanner Darkly

Arlington Road

Rec

Grave Encounters

The Raid

The Mist

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 06:53:12 am »
I'll go for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - because I remember I definitely liked it but now I can't remember what happened (which is quite fitting given the theme of the movie!). Definitely was more emotional than I was expecting so I'm gonna have to give it another look.
There's a parallel thread to this somewhere which is films you've seen more than once ...

Eternal sunshine is one of them for me. Seen a few times. Can't remember it. Looking forward to seeing it again.
Die Hard, Waterworld, Pulp Fiction, Blazing Saddles: these are films I've seen again and again and will once more.

Chinatown. North by Northwest. The Tenant. These spring to mind. If I think again later, a different set probably would come up.

Which brings me to a conversation I had with my partner the other day who's much younger than me. She can't be arsed with any film made before 2010...
I cry heresy, because all those little films from the seventies and before are like ancient history to her. Which is, I guess, the point of this thread but from the days before streaming and even blockbusters' we had to sit through whatever was on telly or nothing at all. At the whim of schedulers are whatever procurement arrangements were in place at the time we watched some absolute dross. But in amongst that were some gems too.

Great thread idea OP. [emoji2]

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 06:58:57 am »
Meant to say...part of the problem is I've forgotten which films they are.

Is it cheating to look at a list or do we have to go from memory?

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 07:28:33 am »
Which brings me to a conversation I had with my partner the other day who's much younger than me. She can't be arsed with any film made before 2010...

Does she wonder who this 'Iron Man' is when starting the MCU on the 3rd or 4th film?

About 15 years ago I worked with somone about 17/18 years old who refused to engage with anything cultural from before 2000. As far as he was concerned it was 'made for his parents' (he was a massive Chelsea fan so obviously not all there in the head). My partner is probably about his age also and (thankfully) is a huge fan of what we can just about call 'vintage' music & cinema these days. I don't think we'd get along otherwise!

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 07:38:53 am »
I havent seen it for a few years but always watch The Hill with Sean Connery when its on. Set in an army prison camp in the desert. Great film.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 07:49:11 am »

awesome movie - really smart idea

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2020, 09:16:34 am »
It recently got a bit of media airtime because of its 20th anniversary, but prior to that I can't recall anyone ever talking much about Almost Famous which is a cracking film. In fact, it seems to have slipped back into forgotten territory already!

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2020, 09:32:10 am »
I watched Gattaca for the first time in over a decade the other day, I'd forgotten what a cracking film it is.  Smart, stylish sci-fi that nobody seems to talk about these days.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2020, 10:25:08 am »
Reading this thread has prompted me to watch Dead Man's Shoes again. Haven't watched it in ages.

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2020, 10:36:52 am »
As it happened the other day, my friend suggested me a forgotten film called Leon. Is it a forgotten film? I dunno, but it's damn fine film.
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2020, 10:45:15 am »
Ravenous

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2020, 10:51:41 am »
It recently got a bit of media airtime because of its 20th anniversary, but prior to that I can't recall anyone ever talking much about Almost Famous which is a cracking film. In fact, it seems to have slipped back into forgotten territory already!
Love this. It's on prime if anyone hasnt seen it.

As it happened the other day, my friend suggested me a forgotten film called Leon. Is it a forgotten film? I dunno, but it's damn fine film.
Was thinking of mentioning this too. If there are any Alt-J fans, the sing Matilda was inspired by this movie
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2020, 11:21:23 am »

In my humble opinion, that absolutely counts! I used to watch it over and over when I was younger, loved the Gary Oldman character.  Haven't watched it for possibly 20 years now.  Anyone know if its on any streaming platforms?

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2020, 11:23:13 am »
And one from me that I used to constantly watch and have pretty much forgotten about is True Romance.  I don't know if it was any good even then, but I loved it and now want to watch it again.

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2020, 11:50:34 am »
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia. Not as famous as author's other 70s classics, but thoroughly enjoyable affair nevertheless. Mayby even forgotten ...
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2020, 11:56:30 am »
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia. Not as famous as author's other 70s classics, but thoroughly enjoyable affair nevertheless. Mayby even forgotten ...
Fantastic film, you can almost smell it its so down and dirty.  Ebert was the only critic that really liked it on release, he called it 'a bizarre masterpiece', which sums it up perfectly.

For my money it's Peckinpah's best film.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2020, 12:34:48 pm »
Being John Malkovich

thought it'd be up its own arse but it's a fucking delight

love movies where they throw the rule book out of the window

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2020, 12:36:18 pm »
Remember loving Shutter Island a lot. Called it one of my favorites after finishing.
Cant really remember the story now though.
Another was the The Fifth Element. I recognize that it had the "Born Sexy Yesterday" trope now, but really enjoyed when I watched it the first time.
Great Idea for the thread.  :wave
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2020, 01:17:34 pm »
Adaptation (2002) ...Spike Jonze / Charlie Kaufman's best film for me...funny, original, gripping, orchids and Nic Cage playing twin brothers...belter

Anonymous (2011) ridiculously entertaining period adventure/Shakespeare origins movie..loved this when it came out and couldn't understand the lukewarm reaction - Rhys Ifans is fantastic as De Vere the 'real' genius behind the works of workshy waster/fraudster Shakespeare....an absolute treat

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) A delight...very funny and at times poignant wartime/caper/murder-mystery/prison-break/heist movie..not at all what i was expecting on first viewing ...every shot looks stunning and the dialogue is hilarious - Ralph Fiennes, who knew? -  one of my favourite films of recent years and Wes Anderson's finest hour...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2020, 01:20:13 pm »
Dark City

Great movie, been ripped off by loads since.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2020, 01:27:41 pm »
Cable Guy
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2020, 01:49:46 pm »
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2020, 02:40:29 pm »
Cable Guy

A strong Jim Carrey theme in this thread. ;D

Re-watched The Truman Show recently, holds up well.
:D

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2020, 03:44:26 pm »
Being John Malkovich

thought it'd be up its own arse but it's a fucking delight

love movies where they throw the rule book out of the window

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2020/nov/24/david-squires-on-being-james-milner-liverpool-training-ground-door
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2020, 04:49:21 pm »
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2020, 05:10:56 pm »
Great film.

Yeah, I remember randomly seeing that at the cinema in the days where you’d turn up and see what was on. Really good cast.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2020, 05:32:00 pm »
Ricky 1
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline McrRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2020, 05:32:01 pm »
Remember loving Shutter Island a lot. Called it one of my favorites after finishing.
Cant really remember the story now though.
Another was the The Fifth Element. I recognize that it had the "Born Sexy Yesterday" trope now, but really enjoyed when I watched it the first time.
Great Idea for the thread.  :wave
Love 5th Element... didn't realise the roots as you mention so I can look into that, thanks.

Strong Luc Besson presence to add to Carrey in here also.

Offline McrRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2020, 05:33:10 pm »
Ricky 1
Biopic of Mr Tomlinson, or was it Lambert. Classic!

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2020, 05:44:25 pm »
Ricky 1

Ricky 2 - The Bianca Years was awful though.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2020, 05:44:27 pm »
Biopic of Mr Tomlinson, or was it Lambert. Classic!

Butcher.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2020, 06:03:19 pm »
The Descent (2005)

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2020, 07:11:52 pm »
Love 5th Element... didn't realise the roots as you mention so I can look into that, thanks.
Prepare to be creeped out after learning about the trope.  :-\

Another one I feel is forgotten is The Green Mile. A Masterpiece.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2020, 09:34:56 pm »
No Country for Old Men.

Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2020, 09:49:28 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gt9HkO-cGGo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gt9HkO-cGGo</a>

Shout. The world Alex Proyas created in that film was amazing.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2020, 09:58:31 pm »
Boyz N The Hood.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2020, 10:01:51 pm »
There's a few films from around the turn of the century that get lumped in with the glut of very stylised "US high-school/young adult" films that seemed to be popular around that time but for me are actually really good films that are easy to overlook if you just see the date and read the synopsis.

Go (1999)
Election (1999)
Ghost World (2001)
Spun (2002)

Are all films that are never going to change film-making history but which are great fun with some terrific performances and for those of us of a certain age a real nostalgia trip to a happier more care-free time  :P !   

At the other end of the subject matter spectrum Hamburger Hill might lack the set-piece/iconic scenes of Platoon and Full Metal Jacket but as an overall experience is for me the best of those three Vietnam films.

The last one that comes to mind would be Natural Born Killers which I think is a really good film that is now much more remembered in terms of the controversy surrounding it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 10:30:24 pm by Sammy5IsAlive »