Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 126576 times)

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #800 on: June 1, 2020, 04:41:50 pm »
It's because these shows are event shows now. It's like if Quantum Leap came back you can guarantee it would a grim-dark 10 episode long event spanning multiple leaps to prevent the end of the world rather than weekly fun adventure episodes.

Yep.

The depth and quality of the story telling just isn't there though. It seems too focused on being overt and not going deep enough. Always makes me laugh though the right wing nerds who say the new Trek is "too political" - not much that was on TV in the 90s was anywhere near as political as DS9 (in particular on issues of race, colonialism etc) - they were probably too thick to understand though...

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #801 on: June 26, 2020, 06:47:27 pm »

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #802 on: June 26, 2020, 08:19:04 pm »
Kirk is a kopite?!

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #803 on: June 26, 2020, 10:56:42 pm »
Kirk is a kopite?!

Must be a red shirt joke in there somewhere.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #804 on: June 30, 2020, 10:45:09 am »
Must be a red shirt joke in there somewhere.

I think he became a fan in our Tribble winning season.

I'll get my coat...

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #805 on: June 30, 2020, 11:06:31 am »
I think he became a fan in our Tribble winning season.

I'll get my coat...

nice...
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #806 on: October 19, 2020, 03:55:12 pm »
No one caught the opening episode of Discovery?
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #807 on: October 19, 2020, 03:56:48 pm »
Trada posted about it in another thread.

Going to watch the second series again and give it some time to build a few episodes up so can watch them together.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #808 on: October 19, 2020, 04:12:46 pm »
No one caught the opening episode of Discovery?

I did. Was decent to good with a slab of cheese thrown in.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #809 on: October 19, 2020, 04:13:40 pm »
Thought it felt a lot like Star Wars
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #810 on: October 19, 2020, 10:37:18 pm »
Good to see Maguire picking up some extra cash for acting as that green slab-headed alien.
We are Liverpool!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #811 on: October 23, 2020, 07:41:25 pm »
Loving this new series.

The difference between this and Picard is that you still would want to be associated with Starfleet - they are the moral guardians of themselves and their organisation

Gripping stuff.

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #812 on: October 23, 2020, 08:32:36 pm »
Really loving the new series
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #813 on: October 24, 2020, 01:24:11 pm »
Loved that episode.

I don't get the hate in some quarters for this show, it's brilliant.

Geogiou is the best thing in it, the bar scene with her was fantastic.

Anyone think she's going to recruit that bug looking Alien to Sector 31.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #814 on: October 25, 2020, 10:51:27 am »

Is there any hate? Outside of this corner of the internet, I don't know any professed Star Trek fan that actually stll watches it and assumed the world had generally given up on it ages ago. I didn't know there even was a 3rd season, let alone that it had just started. I guess that explains why Red Letter Media chose now to upload another 'Top 10 TNG episode' list, as they swore off talking about Discovery last year.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Zs13fJuP0F4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Zs13fJuP0F4</a>

I do know that Covid has caused the delay in filming to season 3 of The Orville which was supposed to be starting about now.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #815 on: November 13, 2020, 09:43:37 pm »
I’m enjoying this series...

And I think that’s because (unlike the previous two), I actually understand what’s going on.

(I’m still to understand anything about control or the sphere).
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #816 on: November 13, 2020, 10:12:46 pm »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #817 on: November 14, 2020, 02:29:08 pm »
Started well this season, i'm enjoying it so far.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #818 on: November 14, 2020, 10:52:39 pm »
Only just started watching Discovery. After the first 2-3 episodes, it’s finally starting to feel like star trek for me.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #819 on: November 15, 2020, 01:27:50 am »
Gave in and binged watched the first few episodes after saying I’d wait for the whole thing to come out before I did.

Really enjoying it so far, more than S2.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #820 on: November 15, 2020, 02:57:41 pm »
Yep still watching and still enjoying :)

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #821 on: November 20, 2020, 02:50:58 pm »
Absolutely loving this new series.

Really pulls at the heartstrings. The people are great. Star Fleet is fucking awesome and the effects?

Wowzers.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #822 on: November 24, 2020, 01:43:54 pm »
nacells that are not attached to a starship - mind blown. Great season so far with Discovery.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #823 on: November 24, 2020, 11:32:47 pm »
nacells that are not attached to a starship - mind blown. Great season so far with Discovery.
That actually blew my mind when they were taking them off, going to be a boss looking ship.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #824 on: November 27, 2020, 03:10:29 pm »
Discovery is just absolutely amazing.

Loving it. Just gets better and better and I'm not sure I've ever felt as connected and urging a crew on more than this.

All the series have been special and this happily joins that list :)

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #825 on: November 28, 2020, 06:07:41 pm »
Anyone notice in the episode this guy has a ship named after him, USS Yelchin (NCC-4774-).

« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 08:48:00 pm by RedSince86 »

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #826 on: January 23, 2021, 12:36:22 am »
Finished the season earlier this week, had the 3 final episodes to watch.

Fantastic season again, finally find out what caused The Burn.

Season 4 should be pretty interesting and should be back to the tried and tested classic Star Trek with the other Planets and Races in the quadrant.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #827 on: January 23, 2021, 05:41:32 am »
Loved that episode.

Geogiou is the best thing in it, the bar scene with her was fantastic.

Anyone think she's going to recruit that bug looking Alien to Sector 31.

To each their own and all that, but personally I think that it's a steaming pile of shit.  I honestly don't know why I've stuck with it this long. Possibly because it's Star Trek and I really wanted it to get better.  It's actually gotten even worse in my opinion. The writing is really poor, the lead character a charisma-free Space Jesus who can't act for shit and don't even get me started on the pay-off for 'the burn': 
Spoiler
All of the dilithium in the galaxy destroyed by a lad getting sad about his Mum dying because, y'know, emotions.  Yep, the Kelpian lad supposedly injested the dilithium radiation in the womb and his body adapted to it.  The same radiation that killed everybody else aboard.  His scream then caused a galaxy wide dilithium burn.  M'kay.  Then there's the part where Burnham survives an orbital impact, is injured but alive (again, how?) and then 30 seconds later isn't even injured anymore and beating the shit out of a guy.  It actually made me laugh it was so bad/ridiculous. And then there's Burnham being promoted as a reward for insubordination, because she did things "her way and not the right way"? Fucking hell.  ::) I mean, why not though.  She did after all mutiny in the very first episode of the series too, with the brilliant plan of firing on a warrior race unprovoked in the hope of...erm...preventing a war. So yeah, deffo command material.  She should take a shit on the Admiral's face.  They'll probably make her president for that given Discovery's logic.  And that's just the tip of the shitberg when it comes to the poor writing in this show. 
[close]

The plotholes are fucking ridiculous at times too.  As a brief example....
Spoiler
it turns out in season 3, episode one that the angel suit has an autopilot.  So, erm...why the fuck did they not just use that to send the suit through the wormhole rather than Burnham going and the whole crew then following?
[close]

I know that it's Star Trek, with transporters, warp drive and all manner of other bollocks, but the old Treks did preserve an internal logic for the most part unlike this crap.  Things actually made some sense.  Then there's the crying.  Every. Fucking. Episode.  The whole crew, supposedly trained professionals have the emotional demeanor of a pregnant woman.

Then there's the virtue-signalling, SJW bullshit that's continually shoehorned into the show.  A conversation about pronouns?  Really?  I have nothing against diversity, but the flag waving bullshit in this show is other-worldly (no pun intended).  The Expanse also features a racially and sexually diverse set of characters, but it's not screaming the message at you in the manner that Discovery does. Hell, even The Orville is more subtle with that stuff.  I suppose though that after the creator of the show stated that "Discovery is less of an artistic endevour and more of a platform for political and ideological messaging" I should have expected such.

As I've said, this post is mainly just broad-strokes stuff.  I could go on and on about why I think that this show is shit, with endless specifics, but you probably get the point.  There's a reason though that season 3 has a whopping 46% rating on Rotten Tomatoes from it's audience, that Discovery as a whole has 42% overall and that's it's ratings have gone down the toilet.   

There are a number of articles and videos discussing why the show is so bad. This one sums up some of it for me:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Gbl4FcKttd4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Gbl4FcKttd4</a>

« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 09:38:26 am by Darren G »

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #828 on: January 23, 2021, 09:58:32 am »
Finished the season earlier this week, had the 3 final episodes to watch.

Fantastic season again, finally find out what caused The Burn.

Season 4 should be pretty interesting and should be back to the tried and tested classic Star Trek with the other Planets and Races in the quadrant.
Thought it was the best series for me...  I understood what was happening which helped. ;D

They had a really excellent foe, really good use of grey areas in politics....

Saru is such an interesting and well considered character.  He’s a different type of leader, and no less good for it. 

Some won’t like it as women are treated as something other than eye candy, and there are credible gay characters, but it’s been a great  series.
W

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #829 on: January 23, 2021, 10:09:00 am »
Thought it was the best series for me...  I understood what was happening which helped. ;D

They had a really excellent foe, really good use of grey areas in politics....

Saru is such an interesting and well considered character.  He’s a different type of leader, and no less good for it. 

Some won’t like it as women are treated as something other than eye candy, and there are credible gay characters, but it’s been a great  series.

::)  Yeah, because that's what people have issues with isn't it. 

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #830 on: January 24, 2021, 09:14:57 am »
Been watching Lower Decks, the cartoon on Prime.

It's okay, no Futurama but what is...
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #831 on: January 24, 2021, 02:06:21 pm »
  ::)  Yeah, because that's what people have issues with isn't it.

It's telling that people can't defend the show, so just attack the detractors instead. It was the same with the Last Jedi (and to a lesser extent the others, but that one in particular had the "If you don't like it then you clearly hate strong women and/or don't understand filmmaking" stuff going on)

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #832 on: January 24, 2021, 03:38:49 pm »
It was good for the most part - but the lack of genuine depth/relationships between a lot of the characters let’s it down for me.

I guess it’s a symptom of 10 episode seasons vs 26. But so many of the characters just don’t really... matter?

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #833 on: January 24, 2021, 04:00:38 pm »
Finished the season a week or two ago.

Think it's really excellent. The best of Star Trek since DS9. And far better than the Picard nostalgia fest.

Going back to the future (as it were) is a critical part I think, and important that it's distinct and distant enough from the TNG/DS9/Voyager time to deel different and exciting again.

Great characters, interesting storylines and a lot of potential for future seasons.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #834 on: January 24, 2021, 04:16:52 pm »
That’s where I am too.
W

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #835 on: January 25, 2021, 08:37:42 am »
It's telling that people can't defend the show, so just attack the detractors instead. It was the same with the Last Jedi (and to a lesser extent the others, but that one in particular had the "If you don't like it then you clearly hate strong women and/or don't understand filmmaking" stuff going on)

Yeah, I agree and find it somewhat insulting and incredibly condescending.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #836 on: January 25, 2021, 01:26:38 pm »
Really enjoying Discovery - a few clunkers (for me), though that can be said of any show.

Hilarious some of the attacks on it too - very much akin to that of Star Wars of late. Insert usual keywords such as SJW, virtue signalling, libtards, woke, left-wing agenda (by writers or showrunners), diversity box-ticking... and then include a few 'monetised clickbait of hate' videos with little-to-no balance whatsoever to in a weird attempt to provide 'proof' or validation. Also insert 'I'm not against diversity' disclaimer. And repeat. Endlessly repeat.

A little strange how many people who do the above don't even list the things they do enjoy about the show - what makes them tune in each week to watch (other than seemingly findings things to be offended by, or to hate about it). Some also criticise the acting ability of actors from a BAME background - though somehow manage to ignore talking about acting abilities of other actors (in a franchise with a long history of having some 'interesting' and varied approaches to acting ;)). Though the 'critics' log onto to the internet and hate on the show some more, and watch yet more monetised videos of hate without any genuine attempt at balance... until the next week when there is a new episode to hate on and get riled up about...

A shame that so many one-eyed monetised videos of negativity are so prevalent (that's the algorithm, for you).

Even more a shame is that... genuine criticism of the show and an open-minded approach to discussion on it (and many other similar shows) are hard to find.

Anyone notice in the episode this guy has a ship named after him, USS Yelchin (NCC-4774-).

Lovely touch, that.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #837 on: January 25, 2021, 01:54:16 pm »
Hilarious some of the attacks on it too - very much akin to that of Star Wars of late. Insert usual keywords such as SJW, virtue signalling, libtards, woke, left-wing agenda (by writers or showrunners), diversity box-ticking...

Dr Who (now) gets the same treatment. The Scifi Trifecta.

You know, it's far worse when you actually do hate a show or movie as all these things cross your recommendations far more often. I'm very up for 4 hours one guy of pulling apart all the threads of how the Star Wars sequels failed so spectacuarly, but if I get 5 minutes in and hear the trigger phrases (pretty much as you've described) then I'm switching that crap off and not coming back to the channel.

Which isn't to say you can't be critical of how a progressive attitude is implemented into a show/movie. But if your compaint is that it's there in the first place then the answer is to watch something else.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #838 on: January 25, 2021, 06:12:34 pm »
Really enjoying Discovery - a few clunkers (for me), though that can be said of any show.

Hilarious some of the attacks on it too - very much akin to that of Star Wars of late. Insert usual keywords such as SJW, virtue signalling, libtards, woke, left-wing agenda (by writers or showrunners), diversity box-ticking... and then include a few 'monetised clickbait of hate' videos with little-to-no balance whatsoever to in a weird attempt to provide 'proof' or validation. Also insert 'I'm not against diversity' disclaimer. And repeat. Endlessly repeat.

A little strange how many people who do the above don't even list the things they do enjoy about the show - what makes them tune in each week to watch (other than seemingly findings things to be offended by, or to hate about it). Some also criticise the acting ability of actors from a BAME background - though somehow manage to ignore talking about acting abilities of other actors (in a franchise with a long history of having some 'interesting' and varied approaches to acting ;)). Though the 'critics' log onto to the internet and hate on the show some more, and watch yet more monetised videos of hate without any genuine attempt at balance... until the next week when there is a new episode to hate on and get riled up about...

A shame that so many one-eyed monetised videos of negativity are so prevalent (that's the algorithm, for you).

Even more a shame is that... genuine criticism of the show and an open-minded approach to discussion on it (and many other similar shows) are hard to find.

Given the way that's written, you clearly seem to be having a pop at my post in particular.  If so... yeah, I made mention of the virtue signalling and SJW elements in the show, because..well they're prevalent within it. SJW, virtue signalling and the like have become the "usual keywords" because people are a bit tired of being force-fed that shite.  The show-runner themselves said that the show is a "platform for ideological messaging" moreso than an "artistic endevour".  You really don't see an issue with that?  For a TV show?  I'm personally not "offended" by these things. I just think it makes for a shite tv show, which is why I listed it amongst the things that I didn't like about STD.  That said, the SJW, virue signalling - or whatever term you'd like to use - represents only a very small part of why I dislike the show.  Shit writing for example is probably the biggest reason.

Also, my post was specifically a response to a post from someone who "didn't get the hate" for the show.  As somebody who strongly disliked season 3, I explained my viewpoint and why I thought that it was so bad.  So of course I'm going to be focusing on the negative aspects rather than the few things that l liked.  Context.

As for this: "Some also criticise the acting ability of actors from a BAME background - though somehow manage to ignore talking about acting abilities of other actors (in a franchise with a long history of having some 'interesting' and varied approaches to acting ;))."

Fuck off with your assumptions.  Again, the insinuation that criticism of an actor must somehow be based upon racial prejudice rather than their acting ability or lack thereof.  The fact that the actor in question is also the lead means that their performance is more likely to be critiqued, but I guess that it's easier to throw out insinuations of racism than to take things like that into account.  I mean, I did enjoy Avery Brooks as Sisko for seven seasons of Deep Space Nine, but that was probably just because that although he was black, he wasn't also a 'strong woman' or gay, right?  And you have the audacity to bemoan a lack of "open-minded discussion" after posting the above.  Fucking unbelievable. 

Also, maybe it's easier to add a video that sums up many of the reasons that I disliked season 3 rather than writing an essay on the subject and that it in fact had nothing to do with 'providing proof or validation'.

What's funny is that you claim that "the lack of genuine criticism of the show is a shame" whilst simultaneously ignoring the points that I've made about the writing and plotholes and focusing almost solely on the sjw aspect of my response.     
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 07:02:41 pm by Darren G »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #839 on: January 25, 2021, 07:27:03 pm »
He was talking about the videos  :lickin
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill