Author Topic: Anyone here play the Guitar?  (Read 118612 times)

Offline Mr Benn please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 123456789 Benn
Re: Anyone here play the Guitar?
« Reply #840 on: April 20, 2020, 01:52:31 pm »
Just thought I'd flag that Laura Marling has put a load of guitar tutorials on you tube, with a new live one every week on Instagram.

She's a very good guitar player, it's her job of course. However, the lessons are very accessible because she happily admits that she basically plays by ear, so doesn't know all of the chords and scales. So as long as you know the basics and have a guitar, it's easy to play along.

There are also tips on different tunings, which opens up a whole new world of possibilities. My guitar is currently tuned in DADF#AD, which is the tuning that Joni Mitchell used a lot on some of her great early albums.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCw4yVTjnWBHI-shcf4l8iUmbU9lFA1Yw

Offline Mr Benn please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 123456789 Benn
« Reply #841 on: April 20, 2020, 01:53:39 pm »
you're right

but still, hendrix loved doing thumb over the top. not what i like doing but for certain songs you kinda need to do it

but yeah, at the beginning, thumb behind the neck
Hendrix had massive hands apparently and used his thumb to dampen the low strings.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #842 on: April 20, 2020, 02:05:06 pm »
Hendrix had massive hands apparently and used his thumb to dampen the low strings.
annoyingly, my thumbs aren't anything to write home about. and since my main inspiration is Frusciante who learned from Hendrix, it means you have to adapt.  john mayer is the same. blessed with huge thumbs that make his technique easier. try it out, but definitely stick with thumb behind the neck to start and then experiment
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #843 on: April 20, 2020, 04:30:04 pm »
Eddie Ate Dynamite Good Bye Eddie
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #844 on: April 29, 2020, 05:41:14 pm »

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #845 on: April 29, 2020, 05:43:56 pm »
my best guitar story is busking There She Goes on Hardman st and Abbey Mavers - actress and niece of the La's Lee Mavers, my personal hero - stopping to admire, ask me to do it again, and giving me a kiss on the cheek for my efforts  :)

Cmon lads. Actresses who are related to your hero kiss you. Sort out your fingering, your licks, and don't be afraid of that G string!

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #846 on: May 4, 2020, 01:08:28 pm »
May as well show off my Mexican Telecaster!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #847 on: May 4, 2020, 05:13:21 pm »
I used to play years ago - was in bands and everything - just strumming (as I sang) and some riffs, picked it up a couple of weeks ago and fuck me.

I'm shite. Yeah I can still just about get the chords and the ideas, but it's like trying to run through treacle and my accuracy is all over the shop.

Part of the problem were the 14 year old strings on my guitar, so I've swapped those out and might give it a bit of a practice so that I'm less shite.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #848 on: May 4, 2020, 05:59:55 pm »
If you want to play songs accurately do them in slow motion

Works for me - I use an old Winamp install with Pacemaker which lets you slow a song down without effing the pitch

Can dig out links etc. if anybody arsed

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #849 on: May 4, 2020, 07:17:28 pm »
If you want to play songs accurately do them in slow motion

Works for me - I use an old Winamp install with Pacemaker which lets you slow a song down without effing the pitch

Can dig out links etc. if anybody arsed

Sounds interesting mate :)

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #850 on: May 7, 2020, 10:03:52 am »
Sounds interesting mate :)

Oh it's worth a go!

Here is Pacemaker

I like old versions of Winamp better than the current one to be honest

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #851 on: May 14, 2020, 10:45:15 pm »
Has anyone had experience with changing the way you hold a pick after a really long time?

I've always been conscious that I've held it in a unfamiliar way (tip of the index instead of to the side of it), but I got used to it and was able to play most rock solos.  Always had trouble learning Yngwie Malmsteen kinda stuff (as well as any sweep picking), which I'm now really into in this quarantine.

I've decided to hold it the right way, in an effort to finally learn that kinda stuff after 10 plus years of playing, but man is it a drag. I've felt like a complete beginner for the past week of trying  :(

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #852 on: May 15, 2020, 08:49:53 am »
Has anyone had experience with changing the way you hold a pick after a really long time?

I've always been conscious that I've held it in a unfamiliar way (tip of the index instead of to the side of it), but I got used to it and was able to play most rock solos.  Always had trouble learning Yngwie Malmsteen kinda stuff (as well as any sweep picking), which I'm now really into in this quarantine.

I've decided to hold it the right way, in an effort to finally learn that kinda stuff after 10 plus years of playing, but man is it a drag. I've felt like a complete beginner for the past week of trying  :(

Old habits die hard. I can't manage to improve my technique at all these days.

I watched Richard Thompson do a lockdown gig the other day and his picking hand technique is incredible.
https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2020/royal-albert-home-richard-thompson/
Watch it at the link. Even if you're not into his tunes, there's some awesome skills at work here.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Mr Benn please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 123456789 Benn
« Reply #853 on: May 15, 2020, 07:30:58 pm »

I watched Richard Thompson do a lockdown gig the other day and his picking hand technique is incredible.
https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2020/royal-albert-home-richard-thompson/
Watch it at the link. Even if you're not into his tunes, there's some awesome skills at work here.
Yeah I saw that too, it was really great. Was in bits when he played Withered and Died. He's an amazing guitarist but haven't watched him play much so was interesting to watch close up. Would love to learn his technique - playing the rhythm on the low notes with a pick between his thumb and index finger, then picking out melodies with his other 3 fingers. Looks really hard though. He's been perfecting it for maybe 60 odd years. Would be very difficult to start doing this after many years of developing my own cack-handed way of playing!

I am similar, I have plateaued a bit in recent years, but trying different tunings helps a bit. Not in terms of technique but it just makes the guitar sound different.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #854 on: May 15, 2020, 08:08:53 pm »

Tell me about it :( (very slowly improving everyday though).

That picking style was quite something. Aside from using his other 3 fingers, he really seems to have partitioned his hand in two separate rhythms  :o

Marty Friedman's picking style is also really unconventional (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HfQWx2_Dxc), but then again, he's not really a big alternate picker.

Offline Mr Benn please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 123456789 Benn
« Reply #855 on: May 15, 2020, 08:25:56 pm »

That picking style was quite something. Aside from using his other 3 fingers, he really seems to have partitioned his hand in two separate rhythms  :o

Yeah it's a bit like playing the piano, where the left and right hands are doing two different but complimentary things simultaneously. Incredible how he does this with his fingers.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #856 on: November 10, 2020, 03:37:35 pm »
Any learners ever followed Paul Davids' course?

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #857 on: November 10, 2020, 04:00:28 pm »
Any learners ever followed Paul Davids' course?

I've been very tempted as I really like his stuff and seems to be a great player, but......with me being such a beginner I thought I need just get the basics right first and see if it's something I love and then I might fork out for his courses. But surely the majority can be picked up through Youtube? or Rocksmith?

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #858 on: November 11, 2020, 11:06:33 am »
Our John's collection ... he loves his axes.  John my cousin is what you would call a serious guitar collector, he never got married so he could pursue his first love the mad sod.  ;D

During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #859 on: November 13, 2020, 02:34:39 pm »
When you play, make sure you get your hand position right from the start. Your thumb should be on the back of the neck and you hold your hand and curl your fingers.

If you start off doing this, it'll make things easier in the long run..

Only just stumbled on this.

I have been playing wrong for 46 years.  Ah well..   ;)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #860 on: November 13, 2020, 04:52:08 pm »
Only just stumbled on this.

I have been playing wrong for 46 years.  Ah well..   ;)

I think we can let you off given that you're fucking awesome mate.

Can't wait to get down and watch you again next time all this shite is over with.

:)

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #861 on: November 13, 2020, 11:37:58 pm »
Our John's collection ... he loves his axes.  John my cousin is what you would call a serious guitar collector, he never got married so he could pursue his first love the mad sod.  ;D
'Our Johns Collection'...  ;D  Give me a grin that mate .. i used to have guitars all over the house at one time, drove my missus mad  ;D
I'm down to just 2 now, mid 80's fender telecaster had it many years, it's just perfect  8) .. and a Saxon acoustic by Selmer (poss mid 1970's) a beautiful tone.

"You can drink my beer.. kiss my girl... Just don't f**king touch my guitar"..  ;D

Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #862 on: November 14, 2020, 09:40:33 pm »

I think we can let you off given that you're fucking awesome mate.

Can't wait to get down and watch you again next time all this shite is over with.

:)

:thumbup

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #863 on: November 14, 2020, 09:44:17 pm »

:thumbup
Only heard you once, in a small pub in Birkenhead and thought exactly the same, the lad can play guitar. Hope you're alright Terry
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #864 on: November 16, 2020, 12:57:58 pm »
Only heard you once, in a small pub in Birkenhead and thought exactly the same, the lad can play guitar. Hope you're alright Terry
Cheers mate, hope you are well too.
Was that the night when Ray was there?

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #865 on: November 17, 2020, 06:11:43 pm »
my tips for anyone wanting to start playing the guitar - for what it's worth  :wave

my background: I have been playing the guitar for over 20 years and in that time have given up loads of times before finally one day falling in love with it and from that my journey became a pleasure not a pain

I've played with bands (only in jam sessions though) and I am self-taught but have regretted not taking lessons when I first started out

the purists among you might think my thinking is controversial but anyhoo...

FIRSTly

why do you want to learn?

is it to play in a band?

if so then there's a LOT of hard work and years of practice ahead
then you've got to ask yourself whether you're happy playing covers (other artist's music and songs) because that's going to be hard but in a way easier than writing your own as all the tabs are there for you to learn from

to form your own band or be a solo artist?

and then you need creativity as song writing/music writing is a much harder path but a more rewarding one creatively

to play to your family and friends?

but you have to ask yourself how many times are you going to be able to do this and then you'll really need to learn to sing as people aren't going to sit around and listen to you playing the instrumental versions of Wonderwall, Yellow, One, Hotel California etc they'll want to hear the songs

to play by yourself in your bedroom along to your songs?

if so then there's a LOT of hard work and years of practice ahead - but only you will hear how good/bad you are and you'll have to ask yourself is that rewarding enough for all the time you'll have to commit to learning

to make your own music/songs to upload to youtube/social media/free streaming sites like soundloud?

if so then there's a LOT of hard work and years of practice ahead - and then be prepared for people to criticise your music
and what are you going to do with your music? sell it? offer it for free? is that rewarding enough?

and then what level of guitarist are you aiming to be?

do you want to be as good as Hendrix/McCartney/Gilmour etc?

i can tell you now that you won't be. So set your bar quite low and be realistic and then you can relax and learn the guitar knowing that each day you'll get better but realistically if Hendrix is a 10 then most guitarists - even really good ones - never really get past being a 4

do you need to know music theory and will you have to learn scales and read music before you can start playing?

no. most learners are put off playing the guitar by having to do all this first and learning to play should be fun. my advice is to learn a few chords and learn a few songs and then if you want to progress further then it's up to you to pursue those avenues

so are those avenues worth pursing then?

fucking hell yes, and they will make you a better guitarist and 'things' will start to fall into place BUT you CAN learn to play songs without that knowledge so it is up to you

should you take guitar lessons?

only when you are ready to as it can depend on the teacher and it can depend on your confidence and commitment - you CAN learn to play from youtube videos but you can't get that personal one to one that a teacher can bring and that instant answer to your questions

I'd rather a learner enjoyed the introduction to playing the guitar rather than get bored with theory, finger exercises, guitar terminology, different tunings, strumming patterns, string weight, difficult chords etc - they can come at a later date when you're ready to progress

SECONDLY

what guitar should you by?

you can get away with buying one you just like the look of or you favourite guitarist plays - nothing wrong with that - BUT going to a music shop to choose is the better way as the weight of the guitar, the feel of the neck, listening to the tonality (both of acoustic and electric guitars) and simply your own gut instinct will tell you if it's the right guitar for you

And don't be afraid of having to play in front of the assistant or people in the shop as the assistants are used to people who can't play and they actually prefer someone who is having a go rather than a show-off - and people walking around the shop couldn't really give 2 fucks either
if you need to then just say to the assistant that you feel nervous or you are a learner BUT you'll still need to hold the guitar and strum a few chords

if buying an electric guitar or an electro acoustic then I would hold off buying an amp because you're going to sound rubbish and so playing through an amp, you're going to sound like rubbish at loud volume - and then if you buy a cheap amp then you're going to sound even more rubbish
buy a good pair of headphones and a multi-pedal and then progress to an amp when you're more competent and confident - of course if you're making a band then you'll need an amp to jam along with your buddies to but if you're playing by yourself then there's no need to at such an early stage

how much should you pay for a guitar?

pay as much as you can because you will be paying for better quality BUT don't worry about buying a Strat for £3000 when you're just starting out, get a decent starter guitar which can range from £200 upwards - less if in a sale - of course try and pay as much as you can but don't sell your house for something that you may decide is not for you

I would be wary of buying second hand as a beginner because it could have wear and faults that put you off from playing it - if it does play properly!

and buying a cheap shitty guitar will sound cheap and shitty and you will sound cheap and shitty and it will put you off learning

a little bit of advice

you HAVE to keep the guitar tuned and you HAVE to practice A LOT
half an hour a day ain't gonna be enough if you want to progress - a minimum of 1-2 hours a day, and I mean a minimum, would benefit you massively
of course we can't all fit that amount of practice in but try your best to as it'll do you no end of good and you'll get a feel for your guitar and playing it and treating it like a friend NOT like a chore - you want to love your guitar like you love your favourite child and enjoy picking it up to play with it

last thing

Again - you HAVE to keep the guitar tuned and you HAVE to practice A LOT

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #866 on: March 9, 2021, 04:57:15 pm »
my tips for anyone wanting to start playing the guitar - for what it's worth  :wave

Thanks for the insights and hints & tips.

I first bought a guitar and took some lessons when I was about 14/15 years old.  Didn't quite take to the lessons - enjoyed the process of going, but didn't feel I was learning what I wanted to - and a girlfriend & university happened and I sort of stopped.  Never quite felt I had 'the ear' for download chord/tab sheets and playing along.  Ended up selling the guitar onto the (by then) ex-girlfriend's family for her younger brother when I went on to university actually!

Picked up a guitar again about five years ago and have had periods of using Yousician (on of the bouncy-ball trainers) in order to try and sharpen up a bit.  Feel like my 'technique' is okay - I can play chords or pick notes cleanly enough - but there's not a lot there once the app is switched off.

Started some lessons last spring - had intended to sign up to the group sessions that the tutor did as a night class type thing, but lockdown meant I went one-to-one virtually instead.  I've found the introduction to some basic theory around the major scale really useful actually - I also think my mindset values this quite a lot; I always tend to think I need 'structure' to what I'm doing and so learning alone and being at risk of 'missing key building blocks' didn't really work for me.  Had a bit of a break from it over the autumn/winter - partly because back in the summer the virtual sessions became in-person ones and they've not been possible during the latest lockdown.  Might squeeze in a virtual one this month before - hopefully - returning in-person next month.  Struggled a little getting my head around the lessons as (see previous point) I think I needed a 'syllabus' to understand, whereas this has been more like 'tuition'....the provision of some basic information and then the onus being on me to explore & bring issues/questions to the sessions.

I'd had a break from Yousician last spring/summer but it recently had a re-vamp and so I've been engaging with it again just to sharpen up a bit.  I do like the structured progression & it does help with technique (the chord trainers and the scale & arpeggio exercises are good - though I wish you could customise a bit more), but I think a blended approach is best.  I guess that'd be my own beginner tip actually - things like Yousician will help with technique and muscle memory, whilst chord/tab sites will enable you to learn songs, but lessons will help you build in key knowledge & support your ability to forge your own path a bit.  I liken it to language learning, where Duolingo can teach you words, podcasts can teach you phrases, but a proper taught cause can teach you the language.

---

Anyhow...I actually came here to ask a question!  Are there any pedals that are of particular useful to early-stage guitarists?  I've read/watched a bit about compressor pedals, and it sounds as though they might be quite useful.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #867 on: March 10, 2021, 08:24:07 am »
Thanks for the insights and hints & tips.

... I guess that'd be my own beginner tip actually - things like Yousician will help with technique and muscle memory, whilst chord/tab sites will enable you to learn songs, but lessons will help you build in key knowledge & support your ability to forge your own path a bit.  I liken it to language learning, where Duolingo can teach you words, podcasts can teach you phrases, but a proper taught cause can teach you the language.

---

Anyhow...I actually came here to ask a question!  Are there any pedals that are of particular useful to early-stage guitarists?  I've read/watched a bit about compressor pedals, and it sounds as though they might be quite useful.

y'know we've both missed another important component when you're considering whether to learn to play the guitar - genre

what genre do you (not you personally jack) intend on playing? rock blues classical indie alt-rock folk country etc

do you want to dip your hand into all genres and therefore be a jack of all trades but a master of none?

all these genres have their own paths and some need more skills than others and some are more technically challenging - as well as the genre having an effect on your song writing too

also the genre will undoubtedly influence your choice of guitar - as well as its equipment including pedal choice

but to get back to your question jack, it depends on what sound you are looking for

this link might be useful https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-compressor-pedal-guide

Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #868 on: March 10, 2021, 05:46:39 pm »
How much does practising when you are young and having lessons have an effect?

I picked up a guitar when I was about 14 and was self taught. Practised a lot when I was 14-21 but then it became less and less frequent. Even though I was decent in my late teens and played in a few bands I always felt restricted by not having some sort of teaching and training.

In comparison my son has been doing classical/spanish guitar for about 18 months and having lessons once a week. On top of that he practises for 15-20 minutes a day. Still feel like it doesn't come as a natural pleasure to him but he says he likes it. Compared to me I would say in lots of aspects he's already better than myself. I've regressed a fair bit due to lack of practice but there's things he can do now that I haven't been able to do ever.

Just hope he catches the bug at some point and sees it as a hobby rather than something me and his Mum want him to do. If it was a pleasure then he'd be doing more than 15-20 minutes a day and could be an excellent guitar player. Also his ability to read music means he's decent at other instruments. Heard him playing songs on his sister's keyboard the other day without any formal lessons or much practice. Think he just related notes from songs he knew on the guitar and played them on the piano.

Any ideas or recommendations for an electric guitar for a 11-12 year old?
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #869 on: March 10, 2021, 06:08:39 pm »
How much does practising when you are young and having lessons have an effect?

I picked up a guitar when I was about 14 and was self taught. Practised a lot when I was 14-21 but then it became less and less frequent. Even though I was decent in my late teens and played in a few bands I always felt restricted by not having some sort of teaching and training.

In comparison my son has been doing classical/spanish guitar for about 18 months and having lessons once a week. On top of that he practises for 15-20 minutes a day. Still feel like it doesn't come as a natural pleasure to him but he says he likes it. Compared to me I would say in lots of aspects he's already better than myself. I've regressed a fair bit due to lack of practice but there's things he can do now that I haven't been able to do ever.

Just hope he catches the bug at some point and sees it as a hobby rather than something me and his Mum want him to do. If it was a pleasure then he'd be doing more than 15-20 minutes a day and could be an excellent guitar player. Also his ability to read music means he's decent at other instruments. Heard him playing songs on his sister's keyboard the other day without any formal lessons or much practice. Think he just related notes from songs he knew on the guitar and played them on the piano.

Any ideas or recommendations for an electric guitar for a 11-12 year old?

he has got to want to learn to play the guitar - he's not having lessons against his will is he?  ;)

and playing classical guitar and wanting an electric? do you mean an electro-acoustic?

it all depends on why he's playing the guitar and what he wants from it

the overwhelming majority of people 99.9% don't go on to make money from it or be in a successful band so what does he want to learn for? see my post above

regarding a guitar for him - take him to a guitar shop and let the professionals set him up - just have your own budget ready

but practising when young will develop better fingering strength, finger extension, strumming and overall technique

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #870 on: March 10, 2021, 07:51:31 pm »
I like guitar as my escape from the world of work. (I have made a little money off music and I produce now in my spare time)

I would urge anyone wanting to learn for the the "chicks/lads, money, fame" route - don't bother

Play songs you want to play. Not much more to it. In fact, the less that complicates that, the better.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #871 on: June 25, 2021, 10:42:56 am »
Anyone taught their kids to play guitar? Specifically young ones?
What sort of age is it worth doing it from and what sort of guitar?

My girl (4) keeps saying she wants a guitar like me but surely that's too young right? Then I remember that Mozart started at 5 so Im doing a bit of research. If fucking Mozart could do it the little nerd. He didn't even have Youtube.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #872 on: July 1, 2021, 01:11:32 pm »

My girl (4) keeps saying she wants a guitar like me but surely that's too young right? Then I remember that Mozart started at 5 so Im doing a bit of research. If fucking Mozart could do it the little nerd. He didn't even have Youtube.

I taught my cat to play. He's great at it - cats come with natural picks.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #873 on: July 1, 2021, 02:39:37 pm »

Sounds a bit young. Do you play yourself?

Having a 3/4 size guitar around would be good for her.  Just an acoustic, don't get hung up on brands etc. Size, accessibility, lack of faff

If she shows interest answer her questions!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #874 on: July 2, 2021, 01:30:18 am »
Started getting back to playing regularly after a long while. Frustrating that I used to be able to nail Yngwie stuff, harmonic minor runs and so... now I can barely improvise over that  :(

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #875 on: July 2, 2021, 09:33:26 pm »
Sounds a bit young. Do you play yourself?

Having a 3/4 size guitar around would be good for her.  Just an acoustic, don't get hung up on brands etc. Size, accessibility, lack of faff

If she shows interest answer her questions!

Yeah I play, she likes de-tuning my Martin D12 whenever I’m not looking. Maybe I’ll just get a cheap small Yamaha or something to have knocking about. Wasn’t sure whether to get a little classical guitar with nylon strings.

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #876 on: July 2, 2021, 09:41:39 pm »
lads, i have a old electric bass, my lad found it and is now giving it a go. Knobs fell off ages ago, I've bought a couple of replacements that didn't fit. on inspection they are d shafted and short, any idea where i could get them??

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #877 on: July 3, 2021, 07:43:32 pm »
lads, i have a old electric bass, my lad found it and is now giving it a go. Knobs fell off ages ago, I've bought a couple of replacements that didn't fit. on inspection they are d shafted and short, any idea where i could get them??
Make/Model of Bass would help  :lickin
Ebay prob best place to look mate to be honest..  :wave

Meady1981 - Kids guitar, defo 3/4 size classical with nylon strings.. have a look on Ebay (set search closest to you-no postage, just pickup from them)

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #878 on: July 3, 2021, 08:17:06 pm »
hi, it's this one,  :)

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #879 on: July 3, 2021, 10:18:01 pm »
hi, it's this one,  :)
When you knobs fell off... volume/treble ones or tuning ones... ? ...  ::)
volume ones are usually D shape that just pop on... so you prob mean them that just pop on.. usually a stanard size so easy replacement.

check ebay for - bass volume control knobs
« Last Edit: July 3, 2021, 10:23:24 pm by hixxstar »