Author Topic: David Bowie  (Read 37659 times)

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: David Bowie
« Reply #240 on: March 10, 2013, 01:16:51 pm »
That's fantastic.

Spot on. Beck is a good egg.
@ManifoldReasons

Offline koppitekop11

• dog shit
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: March 10, 2013, 11:36:41 pm »
Half way through, amazing album, The Next Day (song) has to be my favorite so far!
PSN: Pig-Swill     Xbox Live: PigSwill23
there's been a few nights ive had to relieve myself with her beside me in the bed, in fairness to her, she made some sex noises which helped me along the way

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: March 11, 2013, 10:57:04 pm »
I need to listen to it again. Preferably tomorrow morning with coffee & cake.

@ManifoldReasons

Offline Studog

• Kopite
« Reply #243 on: March 12, 2013, 12:46:18 pm »
On my third listen now of the new album and really enjoying it, not his best ever, but it is good stuff. Wasn't sure on the first listen but an absolute grower of an album

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #244 on: March 15, 2013, 04:11:50 pm »
It's really good with some stand out tracks. I'm a bit iffy about 'You feel so lonely you could die' which has a whiff of the Rocky Horror Picture Show....

Offline Mal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: March 16, 2013, 09:20:23 am »
A reminder that he's 66. On some tracks he sounds older but nowhere near 66. And he still looks good (have you seen the video for the stars are out tonight?).

As good an advert as you'll ever see for a life of class a drugs & debauchery.  Jammy bastard.
@ManifoldReasons

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: March 16, 2013, 10:35:24 am »
Got it yesterday, haven't listened to it all the way through yet but I'm really loving it so far.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Lucas21

• A Better Future
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Half of Everything is Luck
« Reply #247 on: March 16, 2013, 10:42:33 am »
"(You Will) Set The World On Fire" is my favourite so far. Sounds very vintage

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: March 16, 2013, 12:37:09 pm »
A reminder that he's 66. On some tracks he sounds older but nowhere near 66. And he still looks good (have you seen the video for the stars are out tonight?).

As good an advert as you'll ever see for a life of class a drugs & debauchery.  Jammy bastard.

On the other hand, Keith Richards looks bloody awful. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Mal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: March 17, 2013, 11:46:19 am »
It's really good with some stand out tracks. I'm a bit iffy about 'You feel so lonely you could die' which has a whiff of the Rocky Horror Picture Show....

Shhh. It doesn't sound like Meatloaf
@ManifoldReasons

Offline Mal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: March 17, 2013, 11:47:18 am »
On the other hand, Keith Richards looks bloody awful. 

Hence Jammy Bastard ;)
@ManifoldReasons

Offline Armchair expert

• Almost makes you agree with Gove
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss
« Reply #251 on: March 17, 2013, 05:47:26 pm »
Go it the other day and being honest it's style over substance. It is nowhere near the standard of some of his early stuff which is what some in the media are saying.
I think if anyone else had released this album it would be gettin panned....6 put of 10 for me.

There I've said it....

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #252 on: March 17, 2013, 08:19:09 pm »
number 1 in the album charts

Offline Mal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: March 17, 2013, 10:08:00 pm »
He'll be pleased with a number 1.

Number 2's are much harder at his age ;)

(c) Duncan Jones
@ManifoldReasons

Offline Conocinico

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cameras in your food, dude.
« Reply #254 on: April 1, 2013, 05:18:32 am »
I can't get into his latest stuff, maybe when I'm oooold and greeeey, but some of his earlier stuff... he was such a fucking genius!
This sentence is not provable

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: April 1, 2013, 04:30:22 pm »
I can't get into his latest stuff, maybe when I'm oooold and greeeey, but some of his earlier stuff... he was such a fucking genius!

It's not on the same level as his earlier work, but I'm enjoying his new album. Definitely grows on you.

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: April 6, 2013, 03:43:41 pm »
Cracked Actor, the 1975 BBC doc about Bowie on tour in America is up on iPlayer for those interested. Must've been on in the week. Some great concert footage of Bowie at his best and some interesting interview moments.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/episode/b01rt50j

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: April 7, 2013, 02:58:51 am »
Hence Jammy Bastard ;)

Indeed. That guy and Iggy Pop are genetic freaks.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #258 on: April 7, 2013, 11:21:26 pm »
One of the greatest and most influential music artists of the past 50 years

No one can hold a candle to him for his influence on the British music scene

Last great musical work and one that mattered was Low/Heroes and his work with Iggy circa 1976/77.

Thirty six years ago.

Get over it!

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #259 on: June 1, 2013, 06:16:18 pm »
His old mucker Lou Reed has recently undergone an emergency liver transplant.

After all the rumours of Bowie's ill-health, its a reminder that guys from his era were particularly hard-living, so I guess it shouldn't really be a surprise.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: June 2, 2013, 06:32:33 pm »
Did anyone catch the Five Years documentary last week? Was absolutely marvellous.

Offline Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #261 on: June 2, 2013, 07:49:23 pm »
Did anyone catch the Five Years documentary last week? Was absolutely marvellous.

I agree mate absolute quality, innovative way to do it as well just focusing on 5 key periods. Loved the drummer on Young Americans / Station To Station etc , couldn't understand a word he was saying though he clearly enjoyed working with Bowie.

Never knew about Lennon and his input in Fame. Pissed myself watching that Russell Harty interview as well, cringing on the settee .

All in a brilliant doc which done what it should, eg made me  dig out the old albums and give them a spin .

Much better than the Stones crossfire hurricane the Beeb did a few weeks ago
Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: June 2, 2013, 07:58:01 pm »
Never knew about Lennon and his input in Fame. Pissed myself watching that Russell Harty interview as well, cringing on the settee .

That was class, he was coked off his face, like a lot of the footage actually haha.

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
Re: Re: David Bowie
« Reply #263 on: June 2, 2013, 08:50:20 pm »
Go it the other day and being honest it's style over substance. It is nowhere near the standard of some of his early stuff which is what some in the media are saying.
I think if anyone else had released this album it would be gettin panned....6 put of 10 for me.

There I've said it....

I think this new album is a fine work. Sure his modern stuff isnt as good as his first 11 ish records but lets be honest to deliver as many albums in as many years as the first 11 and of such calibre would and could never be surpassed - no musician has that ability, sheer crazy that.

Heathen was another class modern album. He still has it. For me Bowie is the greatest of all.

Anyone into arcade fire (great band heavily influenced by the duke) check out youtube clip "wake up" guesting Bowie live. Its mint

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #264 on: June 3, 2013, 02:20:31 am »
Got to go see the "David Bowie Is" exhibit at the V&A Museum last weekend. Amazing stuff. Over 300 pieces from his personal collection (he has his own archivist and reportedly has over 75,000 pieces) ranging from tour clothing to handwritten lyrics. It's an interactive tour where you have a set of headphones and a receiver, and when you step near a display, it tells you something about what you're looking at, or it is an interview snippet from that moment in time, etc. Lots of stuff to see and admire, but perhaps none moreso than the huuuuuuuge room where they're showing never-before-seen footage of the Diamond Dogs tour. Floor to ceiling screen, and David singing "Rock 'n' Roll Suicide". Go see it if you have the chance.
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #265 on: June 3, 2013, 02:47:43 pm »
Got to go see the "David Bowie Is" exhibit at the V&A Museum last weekend. Amazing stuff. Over 300 pieces from his personal collection (he has his own archivist and reportedly has over 75,000 pieces) ranging from tour clothing to handwritten lyrics. It's an interactive tour where you have a set of headphones and a receiver, and when you step near a display, it tells you something about what you're looking at, or it is an interview snippet from that moment in time, etc. Lots of stuff to see and admire, but perhaps none moreso than the huuuuuuuge room where they're showing never-before-seen footage of the Diamond Dogs tour. Floor to ceiling screen, and David singing "Rock 'n' Roll Suicide". Go see it if you have the chance.

I've got an invitation to an early morning private view - really looking forward to it.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #266 on: June 25, 2013, 06:34:02 pm »
The exhibition will go on a limited tour, starting in Toronto (September-November). San Paolo is the only other city confirmed, which will be in early 2014. Source

Tickets have yet to go on sale, but being 50 minutes away from Toronto, I will definitely be checking this out again!

Alan_X, have you gone yet?
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #267 on: June 26, 2013, 02:06:19 pm »
The exhibition will go on a limited tour, starting in Toronto (September-November). San Paolo is the only other city confirmed, which will be in early 2014. Source

Tickets have yet to go on sale, but being 50 minutes away from Toronto, I will definitely be checking this out again!

Alan_X, have you gone yet?

Yes - really enjoyed it but you could spend hours in there if you're a fan. Loads of original costumes, hand written lyrics, interesting interviews and loads more. In the centre there's two 8 metre square screens and a sound system with projections from live performances. I stood and watched Rock and Roll Suicide from the Hammersmith Odeon 1973 show, Rebel Rebel, Space Oddity Heroes and a few more. The early stuff shows just how fantastic Mick Ronson was and how great they were together on stage.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #268 on: October 25, 2015, 01:02:59 am »
Apparently releasing a new album in January called Blackstar according to Pitchfork that an insider claims is "completely bonkers"

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #269 on: December 17, 2015, 08:52:36 pm »
David Bowie has released a second track from Blackstar called Lazarus

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZSt9RDIIa0k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZSt9RDIIa0k</a>

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: December 17, 2015, 11:24:59 pm »
David Bowie has released a second track from Blackstar called Lazarus

Quite liked that.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: December 18, 2015, 07:54:17 am »
69 years old now is Jonesy.
Only album I'll listen to.
He's been brilliant since 2000.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #272 on: January 6, 2017, 11:14:29 am »
New documentary on him Saturday night on BBC 2

David Bowie did not know he was dying until final few months

Documentary looking back at singer’s last five years says suggestion that his last single Lazarus was a ‘parting gift’ to fans is wrong

David Bowie only discovered his cancer was terminal three months before he died, according to a documentary marking the anniversary of the superstar’s death.

The film, David Bowie: The Last Five Years – due to air on BBC2 on Saturday night, a day before what would have been the singer’s 70th birthday – reveals that Bowie discovered his treatment was to be stopped while he was filming the music video for his final single, Lazarus.

Bowie died on 10 January 2016, days after turning 69 and the release of his 25th studio album, Blackstar, having kept his illness a secret from the world.

“David said: ‘I just want to make it a simple performance video’,” said Johan Renck who directed the video, which features Bowie singing lines such as “Look up here, I’m in heaven” from a hospital bed.

He insists the common interpretation of the video – that the singer was hinting that he was on his deathbed – is wrong, because he came up with the concept a week before Bowie received his final diagnosis.

“I immediately said ‘the song is called Lazarus, you should be in the bed’,” says Renck. “To me it had to do with the biblical aspect of it ... it had nothing to do with him being ill.

“I found out later that, the week we were shooting, it was when he was told it was over, they were ending treatments and that his illness had won,” said Renck.

Yet even then, Bowie had not given up hope of surviving his cancer and was still keen to make new work just weeks before he died, according to Ivo Van Hove, who directed Bowie’s musical, Lazarus. In the programme he recalls one of the last exchanges the pair had, after the play made its debut in New York in 2015.

Describing how they sat chatting backstage, despite Bowie being noticeably weakened by his illness, Van Hove said: “He got through the night. I really am convinced that he was fighting death and he wanted to continue and continue. Afterwards we were sitting behind stage and he said ‘let’s start a second one now, the sequel to Lazarus’.”

The new documentary is the work of Francis Whately, and continues a narrative from his previous Bowie documentary for the BBC, David Bowie: Five Years, which was first broadcast in 2013 and focused on five of the singer’s most significant years between 1971 and 1983.

As part of a series of programmes this month, BBC4 will broadcast rarely seen Bowie performances from its archive, Martin Kemp will present a show dedicated to Bowie’s Life on Mars, and 6Music will host a “listening party” for the public’s favourite Bowie album, and a tribute show.

• David Bowie: The Last Five Years airs on Saturday 7 January at 9pm on BBC2

More
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: November 18, 2020, 06:24:20 pm »
Didn't realise just how good the track "Sound & Vision" was until today

Amazing bass line too.

It is now my fav Bowie track closely followed by Queen Bitch.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #274 on: November 18, 2020, 10:48:45 pm »
Didn't realise just how good the track "Sound & Vision" was until today

Amazing bass line too.

It is now my fav Bowie track closely followed by Queen Bitch.

Yep, it's a great song.

Queen Bitch still shades it for me though.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/aFcKPKSr4fk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/aFcKPKSr4fk</a>
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: November 19, 2020, 12:38:33 am »
Yep, it's a great song.

Queen Bitch still shades it for me though.

Glad you picked the OGWT performance of Queen Bitch.  My fav Whistle Test performance.

The chemistry between Bowie and Mick was so cool.  Bowie was a solo artist and a mega star but you always got the feeling he loved the musicians he surrounded himself with.  Especially Mick Ronson.

Just read the main guitar riff on Queen Bitch was lifted from Eddie Cochran's "Three Steps to Heaven".  No I've read this, I can totally hear it now :)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #276 on: November 19, 2020, 01:29:52 am »
Glad you picked the OGWT performance of Queen Bitch.  My fav Whistle Test performance.

The chemistry between Bowie and Mick was so cool.  Bowie was a solo artist and a mega star but you always got the feeling he loved the musicians he surrounded himself with.  Especially Mick Ronson.

Just read the main guitar riff on Queen Bitch was lifted from Eddie Cochran's "Three Steps to Heaven". No I've read this, I can totally hear it now :)

So it is.  ;D 

I just went to YouTube to check it out, and there it is, right from the start. 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nxj--MkqACY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nxj--MkqACY</a>

Yes, that OGWT performance was brilliant. Fantastic song and fantastic performance.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #277 on: November 19, 2020, 11:32:02 am »
You're all making me blush.
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: November 19, 2020, 11:48:27 am »
You're all making me blush.

Ive just told Eddie Cochranes family you're on here

They're coming for their royalties!  :)

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #279 on: August 24, 2022, 12:41:19 pm »
This looks fantastic.

Moonage Daydream

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/QUvjaPIEIBs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/QUvjaPIEIBs</a>
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.