Author Topic: The Decisions, Decisions Draft - Derby Day Edition - Discussion & Sign Up Thread  (Read 23618 times)

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
Love yourself a mass-brawl? Tired of getting on with your neighbours? Dream of lauding bragging rights over your colleagues for the next few months? Look no further than this Derby Day Draft. Complete your all-time derby day XIs from a list of 18 of the fiercest intra-city derbies. The catch is only 10 players can be chosen from each derby and only 5 from each side. Wait too long to pick a player from that derby or side and they’ll be out of contention for you to choose from. So if players 1-10 pick from Derby 1, say that's the Merseyside Derby, then players 11-16 can't pick players from that Derby.

All-time draft. You can choose up to 2 players from any derby, but they must be from each side! i.e. no picking players from the same team. You must state the clubs your player played for in the derbies (this can be multiple clubs as long as by the end of the draft you don't break any of the above rules). At least one of your players must be born in the city of that derby. No other restrictions.

Players are to be judged across their whole career.

[1] Liverpool v Everton

[2] Celtic v Rangers

[3] A.C Milan v Inter Milan

[4] Boca Juniors v River Plate

[5] Nacional v  Peñarol

[6] Lazio v Roma

[7] Fenerbache v Galatasaray

[8] Gremio v Internacional

[9] Flamengo v Fluminense

[10] Genoa v Sampdoria

[11] Benfica v Sporting Lisbon

[12] Arsenal v Tottenham

[13] Dortmund v Schalke

[14] Partizan Belgrade v Red Star Belgrade

[15] Olympiakos v Panathanaikos

[16] Dynamo Moscow v Spartak Moscow

[17] Real Madrid v Atletico Madrid

[18] Sevilla v Real Betis

Derbies subject to change

Mikey_LFC
Trend
Defacto
Lastador
Tubby
Sheer
XabiArt
Titi
FlashGordon
PoetryInMotion
JSteve
Gerry
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 02:31:32 pm by mikey_LFC »
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
Re: The Decisions, Decisions Draft - Derby Day Edition
« Reply #1 on: March 6, 2019, 08:33:12 pm »
Other derbies suggested

Real v Atletico
Dortmund v Mochengladbach
Juventus v Torino
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: March 6, 2019, 08:34:22 pm »
Dortmund v Schalke would be better. Won't be playing by the way, struggle to commit enough time to these these days.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 6, 2019, 08:37:03 pm »
Dortmund v Schalke would be better. Won't be playing by the way, struggle to commit enough time to these these days.

I thought that.

Wasn’t in the original list as they’re all derbies between teams from the same city. Didn’t include some of the more obvious ones to stay away from huge names.

Trend suggested we don’t have to stay at 16. What do people think? I quite like the idea of last round being really limited so keeping same number of derbies as players - hoping to get 16 involved!

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 6, 2019, 08:40:44 pm »
Sevilla v Betis

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5 on: March 6, 2019, 08:43:29 pm »
I've read the opening post and I'm not quite understanding the Derby significance. Might be missing something, but it just seems like we're picking all-time players from each of Liverpool, Everton, Celtic, Rangers, A.C Milan, Inter Milan etc etc rather than anything Derby specific. If you want to make this a proper Derby draft then I'd suggest choosing a number of classic derby matches and only being able to pick players who appeared in those matches. Would take quite a bit more research, but gives a more interesting twist IMO. Just my two cents anyway, don't want to derail the idea if every one else is already on board with it.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #6 on: March 6, 2019, 08:55:42 pm »
Alternatively, I would make it a bit more challenging because at present who the fuck is going to pick any Everton players :D e.g. You could have it so there are only 5 players available from each side. So Derby [1] Liverpool vs Everton has 10 players available in total, but no more than 5 from each team. For a 16 man draft with 11 players each, you would need 18 Derbies to ensure there is enough pool. Just throwing ideas out there anyway.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #7 on: March 6, 2019, 09:00:45 pm »
I'm in.  Always got time for Betty's draft musings too.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 6, 2019, 09:03:50 pm »
and I would add that the players involved in the derby have to be from said city and that they were involved in the derby and have at least started in the match

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #9 on: March 6, 2019, 09:04:13 pm »
Alternatively, I would make it a bit more challenging because at present who the fuck is going to pick any Everton players :D e.g. You could have it so there are only 5 players available from each side. So Derby [1] Liverpool vs Everton has 10 players available in total, but no more than 5 from each team. For a 16 man draft with 11 players each, you would need 18 Derbies to ensure there is enough pool. Just throwing ideas out there anyway.

Thank you for the input BB!

This was where I was headed with it Mikey on expanding the derbies but limiting the number of players. 

Three no's ----  Eel, BD Nick, Hazell, Chakan and Gerry are busier than a bunch of long tail cats in a room full of rocking chairs.

On the lighter side, we have 5 In

Lastrador
Mikey
Tubby
DeFacto
Trend

Hopefully Blue Betty signs on to guide us through --- Sensai!
« Last Edit: March 7, 2019, 01:40:21 pm by The Piss-artist Formerly Known As Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 6, 2019, 09:04:49 pm »
They’d have to have played in a Derby for sure. Can chuck that in the rules. And happy to say maximum of 6 from any side and 11 from any derby, meaning if you wanted a player from the Merseyside derby but 6 Liverpool players had gone you’d have to have one of the 5 from Everton.

Or expand it to 18 derbies with a max of 5 from any side as you said.

Happy to add in the above if people agree. What do people think?

Think classic matches might limit it too much, unless it was broader numbers of games.
« Last Edit: March 6, 2019, 09:06:36 pm by mikey_LFC »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 6, 2019, 09:05:37 pm »
and I would add that the players involved in the derby have to be from said city and that they were involved in the derby and have at least started in the match

I would add that the players involved in the derby have to be from said city (Florida).  :)

Just jokes DeF!  Let's not stifle Mikey too much here, though -- too many cooks can kill a dish.

Mikey, you are close mate.  Refine and revise and we'll get started.  Maybe PM BB ask for mod draft yoda training --- and not to long you'll Jedi Draft the shit out of us!  It takes a devious, keen mind to come up with this one --- follow it to where you want to take it.
« Last Edit: March 6, 2019, 09:13:27 pm by The Piss-artist Formerly Known As Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 6, 2019, 09:07:43 pm »
Not sure about all being from the city but we could add a few bonus rules like one player has to be born in that city and one player had to have been sent off in the derby

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 6, 2019, 09:08:47 pm »
Not sure about all being from the city but we could add a few bonus rules like one player has to be born in that city and one player had to have been sent off in the derby

That works too

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 6, 2019, 09:09:10 pm »
I would add that the players involved in the derby have to be from said city (Florida).  :)

I'm trying to win at least one match this time around  ;D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 6, 2019, 09:11:51 pm »
I'm trying to win at least one match this time around  ;D

This is not piss take art my friend! 

The trend is certainly not destiny.  You are due! 
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 6, 2019, 11:27:14 pm »
I guess I'd be up for this if we get into double figures on the players, just since it feels like forever since one of these. No red cards though, that stuff's too hard to track.

• Legacy Fan
Can we do this during the international break?

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
Yeah seems like most people are busy at the moment, so might be best.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
Any other changes people would suggest?

We waiting on anyone to come back from the initial invite?

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
Thanks for the invitation Trent & mikey. Gonna skip this one but I'll definitely be watching & judging your picks from afar ;D ;D

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
My advice would have been not to start a draft thread until you recruit at least 8-10 drafters in draft towers!  :-X  Then you've got the momentum and people will just sign up because they're all draft whores and will make time regardless. Too late now though  :D  I think best just to leave this one and come back with a new international themed idea for the next friendlies break.

We could do with some new faces drafting though, so no harm reaching out. Generally newbies will get on board with simpler ideas. These kind of drafts are more suited to the hardcore guys.

I've been holding back on an idea for a while that would fit well with the Internationals -

The International Lockdown draft (pinched from another forum)

Similar to the 11 from 11 drafts we've done on here previously, but once a nation has been picked from 5 times then they are on lock down and no more picks can come from there. For example, if drafters 1-5 pick a Brazilian, then no more Brazilians will be available for the rest of the draft. Simple but adds a layer of tactics to the usual format, plus forces us to pick a few different players than usual.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
Ah so it's like herding. I now see where the idea for a sheep draft came from.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Ah so it's like herding. I now see where the idea for a sheep draft came from.

:D

Yes, we're all essentially sheep here (see bidding on players in SM). No-one will say no to a draft regardless of time if they feel like they might be missing out. Unfortunately, once the gate has been left open too long and the dog's gone off for a nap, all the feckers are flung too far and wide to be shepherded into anything.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
Noted.

Doing a derby draft after last weekend might have been poor judgement too.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Next up, Mikey's VAR draft!  :P 

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
Next up, Mikey's VAR draft!  :P

Haha, love it! Drafting anyone who has scored a goal or had a goal disallowed when VAR was used. Or any pundit / ex-player who’s given an opinion on VAR, aka an All Time Draft.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks for the Pm lad's but no time these day's for a draft. Although I may pop in from time to time.  :wave

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
Thanks for the PM as well and inviting me to join, but as with Samie, I don`t really have the time to dedicate to this fellas. Good luck though
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
Almost got enough people now! One more makes it worthwhile.

One of the rules discussed in the other draft thread was having an initial draft for each team, then at the end of that, the "losers" in each derby have to be replaced.

So say you picked an Inter Milan player, but come then end of the draft 7 AC Milan players had been chosen and only 3 Inter Milan players, your Inter player would drop out and you'd have to pick another player - either from AC Milan or from another derby winner (depending on what we choose).

What do people think?

Another part to consider if we introduce the bit above is whether you'd need to say which team a player belongs to or whether you can leave it open, e.g. Brazilian Ronaldo played for Inter and AC Milan, so would you have to state AC Milan for example or leave it open for draft strategy / flexibility.

- This rule would obviously replace the max of 5 from each side rule currently in place
- The max of 10 from each derby would remain

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Count me in, mate - if not started.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
Nope you’re in! We’ve got 10 now so can wait for a few more if needed but 10s enough for a draft.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
In

Mikey_LFC
XabiArt
Poetry in Motion
Tubby
FlashGordon
Titi Camara
Defacto
Lastrador
Elzar
Trend   ---->  US time zone Central
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
In

Mikey_LFC  ---> GMT
XabiArt
Poetry in Motion
Tubby
FlashGordon
Titi Camara
Defacto
Lastrador
Elzar
Trend   ---->  US time zone Central

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Might get 2 more and slightly possible 4 more.   So lets plan on 10 ----> up to 14.

Questions

1.  When do we start?  Let's get firm on this.
2.  We need to get time zones down, so we can achieve flow (brought to you by the small bladder club - because flow is not a piss-take)
3.  Once we get the above, can we establish an order (one through 10 or 12 etc.)
4.  Can we randomize the order (need volunteer --- might ask PoP or Hazell how they did it)
5.  Start a new thread with the final rules for Mikey's draft --- discussing rules, contingencies, and any undecided details

Then we go?

Blue Betty, Mikey?  Thoughts 
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
Might get 2 more and slightly possible 4 more.   So lets plan on 10 ----> up to 14.

Questions

1.  When do we start?  Let's get firm on this.
2.  We need to get time zones down, so we can achieve flow (brought to you by the small bladder club - because flow is not a piss-take)
3.  Once we get the above, can we establish an order (one through 10 or 12 etc.)
4.  Can we randomize the order (need volunteer --- might ask PoP or Hazell how they did it)
5.  Start a new thread with the final rules for Mikey's draft --- discussing rules, contingencies, and any undecided details

Then we go?

Blue Betty, Mikey?  Thoughts

Lockdown numbers Sunday 12:00, whichever numbers we have?

Then the rest should be fine.

Do we need a new thread? Do you mean lockdown rules in here and move on, or start a new thread to lockdown rules?

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
Count me in. Looks interesting.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
Think we can wait for one more then make a start. I’ll set up the drafting thread.

What do people think of adding the rule: If you pick someone from one side of the derby, you have to pick someone from otherwise too. If a player played for both sides that counts, so if you had Ronaldo you’d have Inter and AC Milan covered.

The rule could be either just have to have played for the other side at any point or actually have to have played for the side against the player you originally picked - so if you picked Gerrard you’d have to pick someone who played for Everton against Gerrard.

Thoughts?

Think this adds to the derby aspect of the draft.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 09:47:54 am by mikey_LFC »

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
In if you really need players.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Think we can wait for one more then make a start. I’ll set up the drafting thread.

What do people think of adding the rule: If you pick someone from one side of the derby, you have to pick someone from otherwise too. If a player played for both sides that counts, so if you had Ronaldo you’d have Inter and AC Milan covered.

The rule could be either just have to have played for the other side at any point or actually have to have played for the side against the player you originally picked - so if you picked Gerrard you’d have to pick someone who played for Everton against Gerrard.

Thoughts?

Think this adds to the derby aspect of the draft.

The problem with that as I understand it, is that once the group (5 each side) is closed out --- for any particular derby then there will be a few teams who would have to breach the rule of 10 players max from each derby?   And are we going to ask those bravehearts who drafted from Spartak-Dynamo once that now they are obligated to go to that derby twice?   It will make for more hovering over the favorite derbies.

Just an opinion. 

We have twelve with Jsteve and Gerry!
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN: