Author Topic: Coffee and tea making  (Read 5205 times)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Coffee and tea making
« on: April 19, 2015, 08:47:46 am »
Strange but has to be done.

When you make yourself a coffee or a tea, and your partner/friend/colleague/whoever makes one for you, does it taste wildly different?

I made myself a coffee this morning, lovely stuff, and he's just made me one and it doesn't even taste vaguely similar. I asked how he'd made it, order of things, and it was the same as I do it, but it tastes nothing like it.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Coffee and tea making
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 09:17:26 am »
Nah, I have her properly trained.

Or maybe she has me properly trained come to think of it  :-\ ;D

If anyone else makes me a brew other than my gf it does tastes different though.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 09:28:57 am »
One thing I found out.

Green tea should never be made with boiling water. 85° is needed or it tastes bitter. That's why so many people try it and don't like it.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 09:34:56 am »
Yes, cos the twat at works puts a drop of milk in me black coffee then remembers i hate it. Sure its done on purpose.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 09:51:53 am »
If I make instant then I always give the water 5-10 before I pour it, and I do milk first cos I know it burns the coffee and makes it taste like shite, he's undergone that training, so it should taste the same but it never does :-\

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 09:54:06 am »
One thing I found out.

Green tea should never be made with boiling water. 85° is needed or it tastes bitter. That's why so many people try it and don't like it.

You wanna get one of these http://www.johnlewis.com/sage-by-heston-blumenthal-the-smart-kettle/p489130 ;D

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 09:57:13 am »
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 10:25:47 am »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sage-Heston-Blumenthal-Maker-Litre/dp/B00CI32S5M/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

Breville was forced to devise a new brand for its range in the United Kingdom due to the pre-existence of a separate Breville brand marketing small appliances.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 10:41:33 am »
A kettle you have to clean out every time you make a brew? No ta.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Wallingtonian

• "Always been a blues fan..." <--- outed! Bless :) Waspish.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 11:35:36 am »
One thing I found out.

Never experienced that personally. I always fully boil the water when making green tea (but mostly white tea these days - I'm kind if addicted) and it never tastes bitter. Might be down to the quality/brand of the green tea

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 2, 2020, 05:30:19 pm »
Anyone got a coffee machine?

I recently bought a Nescafe Dolce Gusto by De Longhi.  Only 40 quid from Currys.

Takes Pods.  I've had Cappuccino and Cafe Au Lait up to know.  Both very nice

Really impressed to be honest. Not much difference than buying one in proper coffee shop for 2 or 3 quid to be fair.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 2, 2020, 06:07:59 pm »

I recently bought a Nescafe Dolce Gusto by De Longhi.  Only 40 quid from Currys.

Really impressed to be honest. Not much difference than buying one in proper coffee shop for 2 or 3 quid to be fair.
We got one last year and we like it.

We've not tried any of the weird stuff you can get online but the cappuccino cafè au lait and the choc ones are good.

We've started buying just the milk pods to use with our normal coffee and that's good too.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #13 on: June 2, 2020, 06:20:18 pm »
Nah, I have her properly trained.

Or maybe she has me properly trained come to think of it  :-\ ;D

If anyone else makes me a brew other than my gf it does tastes different though.

The new (say new, we’re 3 and a bit years in) is not as well trained  :(

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 2, 2020, 07:15:25 pm »

I had a Nespresso for ages and loved it but then the milk heating bit of it broke and ended up getting a bean to cup machine, they're not cheap but I think it kind of works out over time with the beans versus the pods!

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 2, 2020, 08:30:08 pm »
We just moved into a new office at work (pre-lockdown) and got Nespresso machines installed, replacing the shit Flavia machines in our old office. I do really like the coffee but I don't have the space for an espresson machine in my own small kitchen. I'm happy with a cafetiere and a moka pot at home.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16 on: June 2, 2020, 08:33:08 pm »
We just moved into a new office at work (pre-lockdown) and got Nespresso machines installed, replacing the shit Flavia machines in our old office. I do really like the coffee but I don't have the space for an espresson machine in my own small kitchen. I'm happy with a cafetiere and a moka pot at home.

You can get some really small Nespresso machines. My gf has had a really small Nespresso machine for a few years, with a separate milk frother thingy, and really doesn't take up much room.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: June 3, 2020, 01:23:45 am »
You can get some really small Nespresso machines. My gf has had a really small Nespresso machine for a few years, with a separate milk frother thingy, and really doesn't take up much room.
got one too, very good for a quick espresso in the morning

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 5, 2020, 09:56:03 am »
I had a Nespresso for ages and loved it but then the milk heating bit of it broke and ended up getting a bean to cup machine, they're not cheap but I think it kind of works out over time with the beans versus the pods!
What did you go for in the end and would you recommend it?
We've had a pod machine for ages and it doesn't owe us a thing, but we're spending a fair bit on pods and are thinking of bean to cup.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #19 on: June 5, 2020, 11:44:49 am »
Gotta let that teabag steep for at least three minutes before adding the milk. It's shocking how few people do this, even see some monsters add the milk first! guess they just like weak tea?!
« Last Edit: June 5, 2020, 11:46:54 am by BER »

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #20 on: June 5, 2020, 11:46:02 am »
Gotta let that teabag steep for at least three minutes before adding the milk. It's shocking how few people do this, guess they just like weak tea?!

Only 3? It's 5-6 mins for me, then the bag comes out before the milk goes in.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: June 5, 2020, 03:57:49 pm »
Only 3? It's 5-6 mins for me, then the bag comes out before the milk goes in.

This is the only way, and don't ever let that little freak Crosby Nick tell you otherwise

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #22 on: June 5, 2020, 03:58:33 pm »
This is the only way, and don't ever let that little freak Crosby Nick tell you otherwise

Yup. He's a proper wrongun.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #23 on: June 5, 2020, 04:00:38 pm »

I used to have a Coffee Ninja  ;D Was ok for a while, but soon had issues with it, and reading reviews - seems that was a frequent problem! Threw it out after having it less than 2 years I think.

So now I just use a good old steel espresso pot to make coffee. 

And I have got into making cold-brew coffee quite recently, so now the weather is hot again I’ll be doing a lot more of that.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #24 on: June 5, 2020, 04:24:10 pm »
Find Nespresso horrendous.

Use a French press at home, need to find single serve one though as make far too much at time....

Tea, I'm a 1-2minute person. Not fussy if someone else makes it....

Mother in law makes books kettle, makes tea in tea container and boils it for few minutes. Literally tar.

Now Vietnamese coffee is the shit. Especially over ice with condensed milk mmmmm Ca phe sua da.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #25 on: June 5, 2020, 07:35:56 pm »
One thing I found out.

Ditto instant coffee. Hot water not boiling.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #26 on: June 5, 2020, 08:56:39 pm »
Loose leaf tea is my go to at the moment

Had a few orders from here during lockdown. Liverpool Breakfast and Irish breakfast are my favourites

https://liverpoolteawarehouse.com/

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #27 on: June 5, 2020, 09:47:44 pm »
I only buy Clipper breakfast tea  but it’s In the cup for a good 3-5 minutes. I like my tea almost orange in colour! My Husband makes a good cup of tea but anywhere else, I will offer to make my own in someone’s house and then make sure the teabag is in there for a good 5 mins at least.

Have a Nespresso machine now and only drink black coffee so that’s easy!

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #28 on: June 5, 2020, 10:09:22 pm »
3-6 minutes? Dirty bastards the lot of you.

Have I professed my love for weak and milky tea elsewhere? :D

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #29 on: June 5, 2020, 10:24:30 pm »

Have I professed my love for weak and milky tea elsewhere? :D

Trump Tea.

You fucking tramp.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #30 on: June 5, 2020, 10:27:19 pm »
Trump Tea.

You fucking tramp.

:D

Tea is to be drunk when you fancy a little skive off work. No time for the tea nazis who insist how it should be made.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: June 5, 2020, 11:51:31 pm »
Loose leaf tea is my go to at the moment

Had a few orders from here during lockdown. Liverpool Breakfast and Irish breakfast are my favourites

https://liverpoolteawarehouse.com/

If you've got some coin get this. Without doubt the best tea maker I've ever used. Love the ability to use the timer so its ready when you get up.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/l8aSFfukm-Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/l8aSFfukm-Y</a>

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #32 on: June 5, 2020, 11:52:06 pm »
Never made as many cups of teas ever as I have in lock-down, think I've perfected the art now.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #33 on: June 6, 2020, 12:08:49 am »
I keep the teabag in the cup. As little milk as possible. And just like Gareth Roberts it's got to be Barry's Tea.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: June 6, 2020, 02:10:15 am »
Coffee... I don’t use at home. We have an ok machine at work. I only drink strong black coffee with no sugar. I assume it’s about the beans you use to get the taste you want.

Tea... I never really drunk any tea at team at home until lockdown, but sadly I purchased some stuff that was a little weak.
So the method is 2 teabags, 2 sugar. Pour boiling water and Make sure your teaspoon of holding down the teabags. After a couple of minutes, get your teaspoon and play with the teabags. No squeezing just yet. Let all rest for another couple of minutes or more. Remove the teabag(s) remembering to give the, a little squeeze in the side. No milk or if milk, just enough to change the colour... nothing more

If you have strong tea then ofc use only one bag
« Last Edit: June 6, 2020, 03:04:04 am by gjr1 »
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: June 6, 2020, 09:15:16 am »
What did you go for in the end and would you recommend it?
We've had a pod machine for ages and it doesn't owe us a thing, but we're spending a fair bit on pods and are thinking of bean to cup.

It's a delonghi autentica cappuccino, not sure if it's been discontinued but there's very similar ones about. I've never tried it myself but it does have a little slot on the top for putting grounds as well.

The coffee from it is great and I can't fault it at all in what it does. It's easy enough to clean and descale and clean the infuser, the milk jug can go in the dishwasher but you have to do the rest by hand. We do use the water filter with it, and even in a soft water area it'll moan and say it needs changing all the time but I just do it every two months as it says in the instructions.

The only thing is the size of the machine. It's tall and thin but deep, can't put it underneath your cupboards cos the tank is on the back and you load the beans from the top so you need access. You might have the perfect spot for it, our kitchen is like a postage stamp but I can't live without the thing so it has all the space it needs ;D
« Last Edit: June 6, 2020, 09:16:50 am by Claire. »

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #36 on: June 6, 2020, 10:33:56 am »
If you've got some coin get this. Without doubt the best tea maker I've ever used. Love the ability to use the timer so its ready when you get up.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/l8aSFfukm-Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/l8aSFfukm-Y</a>

Oh I need me one of them!!!

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: June 6, 2020, 12:13:45 pm »
I don't drink coffee, it's vile.

For tea, I generally leave the tea bag in with a bit of milk. I'll take a bit more care if I'm making it at home that I am at work. Stir and squeeze the bag. In work the water goes in with the bag, then the milk goes in, then I dunk the bag a few times and that's about it.

Anyone putting milk in either tea or coffee first needs locking up.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: June 6, 2020, 12:27:43 pm »
Without a hefty investment you can’t get much better option for home brewed coffee than freshly roasted beans, grinder and a good moka pot. Though convenient I find Nespresso pods coffee horrible. French press is ok as well.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #39 on: June 6, 2020, 01:10:19 pm »
I drink lots and lots of tea all day long and all night long - it can't be good for me but I love it. I cant stand milk - absolutely hate the stuff but black tea stains your teeth and your cups so I use unsweetened soya milk which has no discernible flavour whatsoever and seems to do the trick.

The one thing that I have done which has immeasurably improved the quality of the tea and I would highly recommend it to anyone, is to get a Zerowater filter, no other filter seems to do the biz. They even give you a little electronic device for measuring the water impurities but I never use it because you can tell when the filter needs changing as your tea has gone back to tasting and also looking (!) horrible again. A filter costs  about £11 and lasts about a month, so it's a bit expensive. In fact I am thinking of getting a second jug so I can use my old filters as prefilters to try and increase longevity.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.