Author Topic: Bundesliga Thread  (Read 1067782 times)

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Re: Bundesliga Thread
« Reply #15040 on: February 13, 2021, 03:57:22 pm »
That was just terrible attempted keeping there by Hitz - the main difference between us and them is management - they basically kept a mediocre Favre on in the summer, then sacked him and promoted his assistant to try and save money - which is now massively back firing on them as they are really skating on thin ice whether they make the CL.  Whereas we still have the best manager in the world, and have been incredibly unlucky with a string on injuries, Mane going back to his early (poor) Saints days and some bad refereeing, alongside chronic under-investment in the team the last 3 years when we should have been looking to take advantage of our performances

They went that route cos they have their heart set on Marco Rose, with the suggestion being that it’s already arranged for him to take over in the summer when the clause in his contract comes into effect.

It’s all a bit of a mess all round - cos now the Gladbach fans have turned on Rose, maybe just as well they are no fans allowed in this case, cos it could turn nasty!

The two teams play each other in the DFB Pokal quarters too, could be fun.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15041 on: February 13, 2021, 04:29:38 pm »
Mainz baby! Good grief.  What a comeback.

Still not holding out much hope for surviving this season, but at least they are showing signs now, and picked up 3 very good results in the past few weeks. Just so much damage was already done.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #15042 on: February 13, 2021, 04:36:18 pm »
Even though they've been dropping points recently, looking good at the moment for HSV to return to the Bundesliga in the autumn

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15043 on: February 13, 2021, 06:22:33 pm »
Union - Schalke 0-0 after the first half. Karius and Awoniyi both starters for Union, and doing well so far ...

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #15044 on: February 13, 2021, 06:24:28 pm »
Turned Leverkusen - Mainz off after the second goal to see what was going on in Stuttgart - just seen the result! What a turn around. 4 points from safety with Arminia having games in hand.

Would be a great escape.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15045 on: February 13, 2021, 08:47:57 pm »
I see Bayern are on the cusp of signing Upamecano. Strengthening from a position of strength. Interesting concept....
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt."

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #15046 on: February 13, 2021, 08:53:03 pm »
Eh..They're going to win the Bundesliga forever at this point without even really trying and them getting the pick of whatever player they want from other German teams isn't new.  Not really sure it's a valid stick to beat LFC with.

Offline CalgarianRed

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15047 on: February 13, 2021, 10:41:22 pm »
I see Bayern are on the cusp of signing Upamecano. Strengthening from a position of strength. Interesting concept....

They are a powerhouse. They do love signing their rivals best players. Have to be favorites for the CL as well along with City.
True North Strong

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15048 on: February 13, 2021, 10:47:44 pm »

Yawn.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15049 on: February 13, 2021, 10:49:08 pm »

Well, it helps when the chairmen and the CEO's of Adidas, Volkswagen, Alianz, UniCredit, Deutsche Telekom and Audi are members of your Board ...

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #15050 on: February 13, 2021, 10:52:07 pm »
Well, it helps when the chairmen and the CEO's of Adidas, Volkswagen, Alianz, UniCredit, Deutsche Telekom and Audi are members of your Board ...

And probably 15 of the other teams have no issue just handing over their players at whatever price is deemed reasonable.

Offline CalgarianRed

• Kopite
« Reply #15051 on: February 13, 2021, 11:06:47 pm »

Adidas and Audi have stakes in Bayern. Its like having all of Corporate Germany behind the club. No wonder they get zero resistance when signing rival players for relatively cheap prices.
True North Strong

Online aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #15052 on: February 14, 2021, 07:00:37 am »
If we lost two players of Alaba's and Thiago's quality in the space of one year and didn't sign no one you'd storm FSG HQs yourself, so let's not pretend Bayern is a perfectly run club.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15053 on: February 14, 2021, 12:26:47 pm »
If we lost two players of Alaba's and Thiago's quality in the space of one year and didn't sign no one you'd storm FSG HQs yourself, so let's not pretend Bayern is a perfectly run club.

Bayern also have it very easy, they know they can pick up 1 or 2 expectional talents on the cheap pretty much every year with no competition - which is a fantastic way to build a squad.  If they had to work in the enviroment like the PL, it would not be so easy for them, but they are in a league where other teams will literally bow down to them to do favours, cos they know they’ll get a little backhander if they need it. Yes, mostly well run, but its not exactly hard to be well run in their position. 

Online bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #15054 on: February 14, 2021, 12:39:26 pm »
Weird how they can just sign one of their rivals best players and announce it half way through the season

The other teams in the league really are powerless arent they

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15055 on: February 14, 2021, 12:45:30 pm »
Weird how they can just sign one of their rivals best players and announce it half way through the season

The other teams in the league really are powerless arent they

cos they have triggered a clause I guess they can announce it, as shitty as it is.

But yeah, this is a team that will happily unsettle players and do all their business through the press, and never get slapped down for it.

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15056 on: February 14, 2021, 12:51:00 pm »
Pavard, Sule, Upamecano and Davies is a hell of a defence.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15057 on: February 14, 2021, 02:59:56 pm »
Frankfurt are back playing some really good football this season, very good team to watch more often than not. Started this one vs Effzeh well today too.

Amin Younes they signed on loan from Napoli has been a really good signing for them too, very noticable every time I watch them.

Online aw1991

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15058 on: February 14, 2021, 03:08:32 pm »
Frankfurt are back playing some really good football this season, very good team to watch more often than not. Started this one vs Effzeh well today too.

Amin Younes they signed on loan from Napoli has been a really good signing for them too, very noticable every time I watch them.
Very weird move to Napoli, the coach at the time was I believe Ancelotti and he didn't fancy him from start. I remember him being pretty good when I saw him at Ajax.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15059 on: February 14, 2021, 03:12:17 pm »
Very weird move to Napoli, the coach at the time was I believe Ancelotti and he didn't fancy him from start. I remember him being pretty good when I saw him at Ajax.

yeah going on appearances and stats, he seemed to do well for Ajax, I didn’t see him there much at all. He started out with Gladbach, he’s from that region I think, maybe he can secure a permanent move back to the Bundesliga.  He’s a fun player to watch, full of running, and energy, pretty skilled and a decent shot on him.

Can’t believe this is still 0-0, frankfurt just seem inches away from a goal every few minutes.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15060 on: February 14, 2021, 03:46:47 pm »
Andre Silva - goal machine.

Online aw1991

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15061 on: February 14, 2021, 04:58:26 pm »
Andre Silva - goal machine.
Adi Hutter is the strikers whisperer, I'm convinced. Got the best out of Jovic, Haller, Rebic, Paciencia and now Silva. Not someone who often comes up in discussion but I think he's a really good coach.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15062 on: February 14, 2021, 07:33:34 pm »
Adi Hutter is the strikers whisperer, I'm convinced. Got the best out of Jovic, Haller, Rebic, Paciencia and now Silva. Not someone who often comes up in discussion but I think he's a really good coach.

he really is a very good coach.

Watched the 2nd half and about 10 mins end of the first half of the Wolfsburg - Gladbach game.  Even though 0-0, there was a lot going on, a frenetic 2nd half. Wolfsburg pressing at times was next level, it was impressive to watch.

Another central defender name to watch - Maxence Lacroix for Wolfsburg. Great game in general, and made a sensational clean tackle in the box on Embolo late on.

Wolfburg have been fantastic defensively in recent weeks, and he and John Anthony Brooks are as good a pair as any in the league at the moment.

Online aw1991

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15063 on: February 14, 2021, 08:23:11 pm »
he really is a very good coach.

Watched the 2nd half and about 10 mins end of the first half of the Wolfsburg - Gladbach game.  Even though 0-0, there was a lot going on, a frenetic 2nd half. Wolfsburg pressing at times was next level, it was impressive to watch.

Another central defender name to watch - Maxence Lacroix for Wolfsburg. Great game in general, and made a sensational clean tackle in the box on Embolo late on.

Wolfburg have been fantastic defensively in recent weeks, and he and John Anthony Brooks are as good a pair as any in the league at the moment.
Mbabu really impressed me in the first half, an excellent attacking full back.

I struggle to hate Wolfsburg for some reason. I like what Glasner done with the club and they got some great players.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15064 on: February 14, 2021, 08:31:52 pm »
I’m just annoyed Wolfsburg messed up in the Europa League this year.

Cos the way they have clicked into form in recent weeks - they’d have been trouble for so many teams. Defending well, pressing like crazy, they’d have been a good watch in it. But unfortuantely they started the season slow and messed up the qualifying. 

But I guess it means they can concentrate on trying to get top 4 in the league now! Most of the teams around them are all still in Europe. So it gives them and Eintracht a bit of an advantage.

Offline CalgarianRed

• Kopite
« Reply #15065 on: February 14, 2021, 09:09:30 pm »
Weird seeing Frankfurt and Wolfsburg in CL spots. Especially Wolfsburg who have been average since KDB used to play for them.

Dortmund missing CL would be a disaster for them financially. Can see both Haaland and Sancho leaving as they won't fancy a season in Europa. Even someone like Reus would look to leave as they would need a rebuild.

They need to change their strategy to either buy proven players in their prime or look to hold on to players rather than being a stepping stone. No player would be truly motivated and be a team player if they just want to use the club as a stepping stone. They were well placed to challenge Bayern a few seasons ago but their strategy has been wrong IMO and now Bayern are so far ahead. In fact Leipzig look more likely to challenge in the short term.
True North Strong

Online aw1991

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15066 on: February 14, 2021, 09:38:33 pm »
Dortmund missing CL would be a disaster for them financially. Can see both Haaland and Sancho leaving as they won't fancy a season in Europa. Even someone like Reus would look to leave as they would need a rebuild.
Sancho definitely leaves this summer imo, but I can't see Haaland going. His release clause kicks in after the next season ends and I don't think he will fuss to much about being the star player in a big team at such a young age.

As for Reus, I'd be shocked if doesn't end up retiring in Dortmund by this stage. I don't think they are in such a delicate financial situation, definitely nothing selling Sancho wouldn't solve.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #15067 on: February 15, 2021, 02:15:11 pm »
Honigstein says Marco Rose to Dortmund at the end of the season is official.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15068 on: February 15, 2021, 02:16:40 pm »
Marco Rose to Dortmund next season confirmed.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15069 on: February 15, 2021, 02:16:43 pm »

Reckon he’s going to be a serious contender to take over from Klopp in 2024 if he does a good job there.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15070 on: February 15, 2021, 02:16:59 pm »
A nice 3 year audition job

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #15071 on: February 15, 2021, 02:18:20 pm »
I've said it for a few years now I want him to be the one to take over. Hope it goes well for him.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15072 on: February 15, 2021, 02:28:00 pm »
Just as well there are no fans allowed in games then, Gladbach fans would make his life hell. One of their fan groups have already publicly turned on him.

What a shit situation when that can happen. Nothing new of course in Germany, for a coach’s next job to be announced while he’s still in his current one!

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15073 on: February 15, 2021, 02:37:40 pm »
Weird seeing Frankfurt and Wolfsburg in CL spots. Especially Wolfsburg who have been average since KDB used to play for them.

They need to change their strategy to either buy proven players in their prime or look to hold on to players rather than being a stepping stone. No player would be truly motivated and be a team player if they just want to use the club as a stepping stone. They were well placed to challenge Bayern a few seasons ago but their strategy has been wrong IMO and now Bayern are so far ahead. In fact Leipzig look more likely to challenge in the short term.

Dortmund have fucked up with their choice of head coaches in the past few years. Favre, Stoger, Bosz and even Tuchel were not up to the task.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15074 on: February 15, 2021, 03:06:09 pm »
Fact is with Dortmund, for all the praise they get as a well run team - they have only actually made one truly successful coaching appointment since they where saved from bankruptcy in 2005. And we all know who that was.

So really, about time they get it right, and they now have to do what the did with Jürgen Klopp, lay out a clear path and build upwards. OK, not expecting the same results, and to be fair - no one expected what Klopp did to happen either, it was that remarkable. And yep, this is a VERY different starting point and situation to what Kloppo got to work from and with. But still, they now have the coach they want in Marco Rose, they have to give time for this to work.

Personality wise too, he should be a good fit for them. Lively, exuberant, not shy about losing his shit when he needs too, but also humble and down to earth.

Online aw1991

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15075 on: February 15, 2021, 04:26:26 pm »
Fact is with Dortmund, for all the praise they get as a well run team - they have only actually made one truly successful coaching appointment since they where saved from bankruptcy in 2005. And we all know who that was.
Stoger? ;D

Happy for Dortmund, but also a bit saddened for Gladbach. They're a great club deserving of success, I hope they'll find a good replacement for Rose.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #15076 on: February 15, 2021, 05:01:57 pm »
So one of the worst kept secrets in world football is now known.  Funny that it's announced after this weekends results which have made both teams CL chances look like pretty long odds.  Barring a big turnaround in form both are going to the Europa so what risk is there in announcing this now.

Still think Dortmund have royally screwed this up.  Not in hiring Rose but in how they've gone about it.  I have a hard time believing that keeping Favre around for the rest of the season would have made for their results to tank like this but I guess hindsight is 20/20.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 05:17:30 pm by Dave McCoy »

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15077 on: February 15, 2021, 05:06:32 pm »
Stoger? ;D

Happy for Dortmund, but also a bit saddened for Gladbach. They're a great club deserving of success, I hope they'll find a good replacement for Rose.

How could i forget  ;D

Yeah, feel for Gladbach, cos I love them as a club. Their fans are rightly angry, they already where, cos of course this was on the cards a while, now its just official. But they have fallen out with Marco Rose since the derby vs Köln a couple weeks ago too. So it’s a weird situation.

That DFB Pokal game vs Dortmund soon - will be awwwwwwwkkkwaaaaard!!!

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #15078 on: February 15, 2021, 05:12:18 pm »
Stoger? ;D

The sad thing is, that that appointment fucked it up for both Stöger and Dortmund. He had a good thing going at Köln and I could have seen him follow a similar path to Hasenhüttl, who probably has a higher ceiling than him. But I could have seen Stöger going to another decent club with not too high ambitions after Köln. Instead, he went to Dortmund, where expectations were higher and now he's back in Austria. So, his appointment was a waste for him, but also for Dortmund. And as I've just read it, a great quote from him when he was still at Köln and lost 1-0 to Hanover whose goal-scorer had used his arm: "I offered the linesman my glasses, but he didn't even see them." ;D

Online aw1991

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15079 on: February 15, 2021, 06:02:37 pm »
The sad thing is, that that appointment fucked it up for both Stöger and Dortmund. He had a good thing going at Köln and I could have seen him follow a similar path to Hasenhüttl, who probably has a higher ceiling than him. But I could have seen Stöger going to another decent club with not too high ambitions after Köln. Instead, he went to Dortmund, where expectations were higher and now he's back in Austria. So, his appointment was a waste for him, but also for Dortmund. And as I've just read it, a great quote from him when he was still at Köln and lost 1-0 to Hanover whose goal-scorer had used his arm: "I offered the linesman my glasses, but he didn't even see them." ;D
I'm pretty sure Stoger was sacked by Koln before he joined Dortmund. I think at that moment they needed someone to stabilize them and he kinda did it. Think it was always going to be until the end of the season.