Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4150169 times)

Offline jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #59880 on: April 20, 2019, 10:36:17 pm »
Gashi just ran the entire fight ??? Fucking plum.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #59881 on: April 20, 2019, 10:55:19 pm »
If this event was a football match, it'd be Ipswich v Rotherham.

What a gaggle of has-beens; I'm sure most of the upper weights just see most of these features as paid spars.

Hoping for a good night stateside. 
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #59882 on: April 20, 2019, 10:57:14 pm »
Can’t say I’d want to be hit by either of these two but it’s all very slow motion isn’t it!

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #59883 on: April 20, 2019, 11:00:06 pm »
They're fucking sparring man. If I'd paid for a ticket tonight, I'd be going dockside to watch bumfights.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #59884 on: April 20, 2019, 11:00:57 pm »
Ouch.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59885 on: April 20, 2019, 11:05:07 pm »
Heavy weight boxing is terrible at the minute. The top ones don't want to fight each other for numerous reasons. Absolute joke and sport is slowly dying imo.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #59886 on: April 20, 2019, 11:10:31 pm »
Heavy weight boxing is terrible at the minute. The top ones don't want to fight each other for numerous reasons. Absolute joke and sport is slowly dying imo.

The upper weights are becoming more and more like Sumo Wrestling, which in itself, is mostly a racket.

All the winking and self-love - I know there's an element of fight-shaping that goes on with trainers and promoters looking to butter their fighters, but since Klitchko's retired, the weight has diminished in quality.

Oh, and Eddie Hearn is a flyboy twat!

Continually on 11,420.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #59887 on: April 20, 2019, 11:12:40 pm »
I see Dave Allen was in good shape for a change. I was reading about how he is a gambling addict and because of severe debts, he took fights with Ortiz and Whyte on short notice just to pay off his debtors  :o  The lad has his demons so I hope he can put them behind him and forge a half-decent career.

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59888 on: April 20, 2019, 11:17:08 pm »
The upper weights are becoming more and more like Sumo Wrestling, which in itself, is mostly a racket.

All the winking and self-love - I know there's an element of fight-shaping that goes on with trainers and promoters looking to butter their fighters, but since Klitchko's retired, the weight has diminished in quality.

Oh, and Eddie Hearn is a flyboy twat!
Today's heavyweights are gigantic. Joe Frazier could comfortably be a cruiserweight in today's boxing; as could Ali. Even 'Big' George Foreman was 220 pounds for his fight with Ali. He probably could have boiled down to 200 pounds as well! Frazier was only 5ft 11! Mike Tyson is yet another that could make cruiser; not hard to imagine him going from 220 down to 200 at 5ft 11 tall.

Remember, most cruisers are probably 210-215 in the ring!

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #59889 on: April 20, 2019, 11:19:33 pm »
Today's heavyweights are gigantic. Joe Frazier could comfortably be a cruiserweight in today's boxing; as could Ali. Even 'Big' George Foreman was 220 pounds for his fight with Ali. He probably could have boiled down to 200 pounds as well! Frazier was only 5ft 11! Mike Tyson is yet another that could make cruiser; not hard to imagine him going from 220 down to 200 at 5ft 11 tall.

Remember, most cruisers are probably 210-215 in the ring!

Aye, should rename heavyweight prizefight.

But it ain't even just that - the promoters and promotion of fights has waned also. The weight is waiting for a personality fighter and while there have been a few interesting fighters over the years, most of the current rabble can just about put a coherent sentence together without sounding like they've been badly coached.

Tyson Fury is probably one of the more affable heavyweights, and I know he gets a lot of stick, he deserves most of it, but even Fury looks as though he's had some shite PR training and vocal coaching.

Wilder's just a twat and AJ, while a proper nice bloke, could bore a bull out of the ring over 12. I know this is seen in some corners as a minor part of the sport, but the whole pre-fight fetter is even beginning to look like wrestling.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 11:27:09 pm by Skidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59890 on: April 20, 2019, 11:22:07 pm »
The thing is, people say the HW limit should be increased or else there should be a new super heavyweight division. However, does anyone think a prime Ali or Foreman would have any trouble with today's heavyweights despite giving up height and weight? I can imagine Frazier struggling against some fighters such as Joshua, but he could break Wilder in half with his body attack IMO!

I think an exceptional 215-220 pounder could clean house at HW these days; maybe Usyk will be that man.

I'll throw in one more name; Sonny Liston was 6ft 1 and about 220 for most of his fights; how many of these big modern heavyweights would beat him?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 11:23:48 pm by 1892tillforever »

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #59891 on: April 20, 2019, 11:33:58 pm »
The thing is, people say the HW limit should be increased or else there should be a new super heavyweight division. However, does anyone think a prime Ali or Foreman would have any trouble with today's heavyweights despite giving up height and weight? I can imagine Frazier struggling against some fighters such as Joshua, but he could break Wilder in half with his body attack IMO!

I think an exceptional 215-220 pounder could clean house at HW these days; maybe Usyk will be that man.

I'll throw in one more name; Sonny Liston was 6ft 1 and about 220 for most of his fights; how many of these big modern heavyweights would beat him?

Of course not, they had 'heart' and shot from the hip. The 'tactical' and technical side of the sport is heavily weighed on and again, I come back to the promoters, the pre-fight fuzz has gone very WWF and MMA is slowly but surely going the same way.

The stateside middleweights is where it is at - and it has been for a while - sure we've had our flashes over here, here and there, but on the whole, this is where the action is at and mostly never dissapoints.

Looking forward to MSG tonight - gonna be a good few bouts. Khan is going to get downed within six.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #59892 on: April 20, 2019, 11:34:47 pm »
In fact, scrap that, look at the kip of Crawford... he's gonna rip Khan a new one.

Khan's breathing is what is going to be his undoing tonight. He has a shit habit of compressing his lungs and breathing out of rhythm, folk say he has a glass jaw, it's not true, it's down to his shit breathing technique - his nose if fucked and he exposes his chin due to this... and Algieri exposed this last time here.

This is was Naz's undoing as he got older and this is why the South American's have ruled the roost over the years.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 11:41:03 pm by Skidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #59893 on: April 21, 2019, 12:29:17 am »
In fact, scrap that, look at the kip of Crawford... he's gonna rip Khan a new one.

Khan's breathing is what is going to be his undoing tonight. He has a shit habit of compressing his lungs and breathing out of rhythm, folk say he has a glass jaw, it's not true, it's down to his shit breathing technique - his nose if fucked and he exposes his chin due to this... and Algieri exposed this last time here.

This is was Naz's undoing as he got older and this is why the South American's have ruled the roost over the years.

Think Naz’s undoing had more to do with the fact he hardly bothered to train properly in the later years, completely lost his discipline from 98 onwards, just got away with it until he fought Barrera because he was that good.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #59894 on: April 21, 2019, 12:56:59 am »
Think Naz’s undoing had more to do with the fact he hardly bothered to train properly in the later years, completely lost his discipline from 98 onwards, just got away with it until he fought Barrera because he was that good.

There are a number of factors of course, and it is moot of course - he fought a few bums post-98 when he did start to deteriorate. But he was a shit breather near the end, and yes that could be due to his shape, but he was always a gawper and I was always surprised he never got caught out more than he did.

In addition to this however, he fought some utter bums in his career.

Due to his great footwork of course, but aye, Barrera found him out.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 01:07:16 am by Skidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #59895 on: April 21, 2019, 01:14:36 am »
There are a number of factors of course, and it is moot of course - he fought a few bums post-98 when he did start to deteriorate. But he was a shit breather near the end, and yes that could be due to his shape, but he was always a gawper and I was always surprised he never got caught out more than he did.

Due to his great footwork of course, but aye, Barrera found him out.
I always felt if he’d fought Barrera in 96/97 he’d have won, but was a shadow of himself by the time they met.

"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59896 on: April 21, 2019, 01:38:50 am »
The heavyweight division is poor now.  But it's important to remember that it generally always has been.  The Golden Era of the 70's was the exception.  The 90's were really pretty good as well.  But by and large it's alway been a bit rubbish.  It's had Iconic champions, but a load of dross as well for the most part. 

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59897 on: April 21, 2019, 01:47:13 am »

But it ain't even just that - the promoters and promotion of fights has waned also. The weight is waiting for a personality fighter and while there have been a few interesting fighters over the years, most of the current rabble can just about put a coherent sentence together without sounding like they've been badly coached.

Tyson Fury is probably one of the more affable heavyweights, and I know he gets a lot of stick, he deserves most of it, but even Fury looks as though he's had some shite PR training and vocal coaching.

Wilder's just a twat and AJ, while a proper nice bloke, could bore a bull out of the ring over 12. I know this is seen in some corners as a minor part of the sport, but the whole pre-fight fetter is even beginning to look like wrestling.

When was the last 'personality' top-level HW though? Klitschko and Lewis were out of the same 'intelligent but dull' mould as AJ. Prime Tyson did his talking in the ring and only became a 'personality' when his boxing had started to unravel.

If you really wanted to go out on a limb you could argue that whilst Ali was the best thing to happen to boxing (for the obvious reasons) he also created a bit of a problem in that ever since there has perhaps been an unrealistic expectation that boxing champions should not only sparkle inside the ring but outside also - an expectation that doesn't ever seem to be held against your Woods/Federer/Messi's etc who for all their sporting talent are dull as dishwater in their interactions with the media and the public.

Offline jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59898 on: April 21, 2019, 04:04:07 am »
Stevenson is a dick. 'I'm the new floyd' etc, whilst not embracing Diaz at the end of the fight. Boring snooze fest and he is well overhyped. Lopez in the next fight looks boss though. Vacant see the Bud Khan fight starting til at least 5!! Borderline asleep now!!

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59899 on: April 21, 2019, 04:28:35 am »
Did I miss this?

Is there a link please? From the at I can see Australia are not showing this
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #59900 on: April 21, 2019, 04:31:24 am »
Hype train for a fighter who is still having people flown in to knock over with a big right hand is making me feel contrarian about Lopez.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #59901 on: April 21, 2019, 04:32:43 am »
Did I miss this?

Is there a link please? From the at I can see Australia are not showing this

Some here: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoxingStreams/comments/bfh1zp/terence_crawford_vs_amir_khan_wbo_welterweight/

I'm on buffstreams' acestream.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59902 on: April 21, 2019, 04:35:36 am »
Thx
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59903 on: April 21, 2019, 04:44:25 am »
Lopez looked a little flat footed but he does pack a punch. Rd 5 KO body shot

Time to see if staying up was worth it. Crawford KO in the 6th

Offline jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59904 on: April 21, 2019, 05:15:19 am »
Glass

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59905 on: April 21, 2019, 05:27:41 am »
Brave , but only a matter of time now, Khan getting dominated.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59906 on: April 21, 2019, 05:31:02 am »
What a farce.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
« Reply #59907 on: April 21, 2019, 05:34:31 am »
Fucking hell....

Offline jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59908 on: April 21, 2019, 05:36:13 am »
Shit way to go out that.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59909 on: April 21, 2019, 05:37:04 am »
Khan bottled that.

Telling me if he was winning he would have called that off?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 05:39:16 am by Clayton Bigsby »

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59910 on: April 21, 2019, 05:37:54 am »
Bottled that, done a runner.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #59911 on: April 21, 2019, 05:39:37 am »
He sounds like he's trying to convince himself in the interview. Hunter was calling that off at some point though. "Don't charge in Amir. Be smart." *Bell rings. Khan charges in flailing.*

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #59912 on: April 21, 2019, 06:25:07 am »
Glass balls.

Khan's been done for a while now and it shows - Crawford would've put him down again if it had gone on.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59913 on: April 21, 2019, 07:54:24 am »
What a joke of a fight. Khan bottled it!

Look Khan's level is Brook and he ran away from that fight to then run away from Crawford during the fight.

He needs to fight Brook if he is to continue because he can't mix it with the big boys.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59914 on: April 21, 2019, 08:01:23 am »
Easy to call someone a bottler when he's the one taking the punches, still , he didn't fancy it , decided to walk away before he got hurt, could call it maturity. He has to retire now though.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59915 on: April 21, 2019, 08:05:18 am »
Easy to call someone a bottler when he's the one taking the punches, still , he didn't fancy it , decided to walk away before he got hurt, could call it maturity. He has to retire now though.

He quit. If he was winning he would of continued.

He got knocked down in the 1st.

He's done but has to fight Brook 1st and get a true beating before retirement

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59916 on: April 21, 2019, 08:48:26 am »
Hope he doesn't fight Brook. Stan behaviour should not be rewarded. Brook should fight champions (he is a mandatory) or fcuk off. I heard he is still banned from Latvia after all the countrymen he has beaten up.

With that said, it is Khan's only money fight left really so we might see it next/last. Nobody in USA will talk to him again

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59917 on: April 21, 2019, 09:02:56 am »
What a load of bollocks
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #59918 on: April 21, 2019, 09:52:46 am »
What makes no sense about his argument is that he could have taken the 5 minutes to recover. The ref was doing a shit job because he was pressuring him too quick and it was a low blow.

If someone, nevermind, Terrence Crawford smashed my left testy, I’d want 5 minutes off and a cup of tea to recover

The ref shouldn’t be in his face asking him if he is okay to continue straight away

I don’t even think it was that bad of a beat down either, Khan caught Crawford a few times and his timing was shocking tonight.

I expect him and Hunter to part ways because Hunter cares for the welfare of the fighter and Khan doesn’t have it at that level any more

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59919 on: April 21, 2019, 10:04:44 am »
What makes no sense about his argument is that he could have taken the 5 minutes to recover. The ref was doing a shit job because he was pressuring him too quick and it was a low blow.

If someone, nevermind, Terrence Crawford smashed my left testy, I’d want 5 minutes off and a cup of tea to recover

The ref shouldn’t be in his face asking him if he is okay to continue straight away

I don’t even think it was that bad of a beat down either, Khan caught Crawford a few times and his timing was shocking tonight.

I expect him and Hunter to part ways because Hunter cares for the welfare of the fighter and Khan doesn’t have it at that level any more

He wasn't hit in the balls. It was his leg.

Either way mate he could of took 5 mins but didn't because he so didn't want to continue that's the bottom line.

I think Khan and Hunter will go seperate ways now also. Khan is done.