Author Topic: The Teachers' Thread  (Read 180249 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: The Teachers' Thread
« Reply #2000 on: January 14, 2021, 07:41:35 pm »
I agree but surely being happy in whatever your role is most important? Maybe that's just my mindset. We all have things were not happy about in each role but that unhappy you need to go to external agencies then I do wonder why stay?

That’s what unions are for at the end of the day. Be no point in them if people just upped and moved jobs whenever they weren’t happy.

to be honest it could easily have been a bit of a complaint to the union rep to get their opinion which they then escalated.

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #2001 on: January 14, 2021, 09:25:34 pm »
Yeah suppose. Think I just needed a rant about it to get it off my chest and found typing it out therapeutic. Can't rant at work, few staff I trust and get on really well with but can't pass this back to them.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2002 on: January 15, 2021, 05:54:25 pm »
Think 3everyone is feeling the strain mate so don't take it personally.

From experience when I've used the union it was because I'd already tried to communicate to SLT that something in the school was unreasonable and they did not only basically say 'that's the job's but actually targeted me with more excessive workload and bullying tactics. That's when the Union was contacted.

In your case it sounds like staff have just been stressed out, maybe got the wrong end of the stick about something.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2003 on: January 21, 2021, 02:46:37 pm »
Wife is on a rota for face-to-face teaching with children of essential workers and hasn't been on site for a couple of days.  An autistic child who rarely communicates  directly  approached her yesterday and muttered something along the lines of "I missed you".

Meant so much. Made up for both of them.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2004 on: January 21, 2021, 05:14:37 pm »
Had to go in yesterday

It was so good to see a kid again...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2005 on: January 22, 2021, 08:53:33 am »
I've been in every day pretty much. HOY are pretty much expected in - strongly implied by SLT. We have a good 20 staff in each day. Currently have around 45-50 kids in a day.

It's a pretty miserable period I've got to say.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2006 on: January 22, 2021, 12:21:25 pm »
Sorry... 20 staff for 50 kids?

That’s potty.

I find on line teaching easier at home too..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #2007 on: January 22, 2021, 01:10:24 pm »
I’m the opposite. I wouldn’t get anything done at home (8 year old and 8 month old there!) so I go into work every day. It’s a five minute drive from my house and I have my own office so I really like it to be honest

Been doing things like dropping off laptops etc too during the day

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2008 on: January 22, 2021, 01:52:21 pm »
Sorry... 20 staff for 50 kids?

That’s potty.

I find on line teaching easier at home too..

It's not compulsory for those staff to be in. Only those on the rota which is around 6 or 7 staff per day but then all of SLT and HOY are in every day pretty much and you get quite a lot of teachers who just want to be in school. It's very different to in March though when it was a ghost town when you came in, now I feel like the culture has shifted so that if you're at home there's a certain guilt. SLT basically said they would rather staff use the school facilities and teach high quality lessons if they can't do it from home...

I have taken today at home as it happens and managed to get everything done as normal. I prefer a balance of maybe 2 days in school and 3 at home or 3 in school 2 at home. I like being able to get up a bit later and not have a boring commute but then I don't have kids so can understand those who do would find it difficult.

Offline Austin Powers

• Fuk Mi? Fuk Yu!
  • Kopite
« Reply #2009 on: January 22, 2021, 05:45:13 pm »
Hi guys,

I have a Head of Year interview next week in an inner city school. Does anyone know of any questions I'm likely to be asked?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2010 on: January 22, 2021, 06:06:44 pm »
Hi guys,

I have a Head of Year interview next week in an inner city school. Does anyone know of any questions I'm likely to be asked?
Pm me your email address and I will send you some... tried to attach to my post but the file is too big :(
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2011 on: January 22, 2021, 06:43:15 pm »
Done!
W

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #2012 on: January 22, 2021, 07:03:07 pm »
As suspected all along...

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2013 on: January 22, 2021, 07:16:16 pm »
As suspected all along...
As expected, the NEU are promoting bullshit yet again.

This doesn’t stand up to any scrutiny what do ever.

It’s simply not a genuine picture of the risks.  In reality, staff are probably a little more likely contract it outside of school than in school.
W

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2014 on: January 22, 2021, 08:15:43 pm »

It’s simply not a genuine picture of the risks.  In reality, staff are probably a little more likely contract it outside of school than in school.
But...but there's a graph!

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2015 on: January 22, 2021, 08:27:00 pm »
But...but there's a graph!
Yeah, it’s a really poor one....

Not that I felt safe at work before Christmas mind you.  But the NEU should be giving its members clear information and not stuff they’ve misinterpreted
W

Offline McrRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2016 on: January 22, 2021, 10:27:31 pm »
The last decent figures I saw (admittedly ages ago = September) had the majority of cases coming from schools colleges and uni's followed closely by the workplace. How do you know anything to the contrary is not misinformation itself?

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #2017 on: January 22, 2021, 10:41:49 pm »
So my missus has come home with some LFDs but been told not to do one until Sunday (and she’s following that advice from the Head). This despite the fact one of the dad’s of a kid in her class (who has been in school) has tested positive for Covid. I’m confused why she’s not testing herself now.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #2018 on: January 24, 2021, 11:47:48 am »
So my missus has come home with some LFDs but been told not to do one until Sunday (and she’s following that advice from the Head). This despite the fact one of the dad’s of a kid in her class (who has been in school) has tested positive for Covid. I’m confused why she’s not testing herself now.

Giving the virus more time to manifest? My mum and brother came down with it just before New Year after spending Christmas with me. I had no symptoms but wanted to get a test, but waited a few days as I wasn't going out anywhere else anyway and thought it might be more accurate (the side effect of more time off school self-isolating didn't factor into it at all, hones guv).
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #2019 on: January 24, 2021, 03:58:47 pm »
Giving the virus more time to manifest? My mum and brother came down with it just before New Year after spending Christmas with me. I had no symptoms but wanted to get a test, but waited a few days as I wasn't going out anywhere else anyway and thought it might be more accurate (the side effect of more time off school self-isolating didn't factor into it at all, hones guv).
Yeah fair point. She’s done it now and it was negative, although I know there’s some degree of error with the results of these.

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2020 on: January 25, 2021, 12:20:27 pm »

I work in a special school so I'm fully behind this graph! :D
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Austin Powers

• Fuk Mi? Fuk Yu!
  • Kopite
« Reply #2021 on: January 26, 2021, 05:22:31 pm »
Pm me your email address and I will send you some... tried to attach to my post but the file is too big :(

I got the job!  :champ

Thank you so much for your help!

Offline McrRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2022 on: January 26, 2021, 05:42:22 pm »

Well done AP congrats mate [emoji1417]

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2023 on: January 26, 2021, 06:18:25 pm »

Yay!!

Well done!
W

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #2024 on: January 26, 2021, 09:38:30 pm »
Well done! I love being HoY; you get such a different view of pupils in the role

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2025 on: January 27, 2021, 10:41:22 am »

Congratulations! I loved my time as a HOY.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #2026 on: January 27, 2021, 01:01:00 pm »
Anyone had any parents complain to ofsted?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2027 on: January 27, 2021, 01:02:46 pm »
Nope ... most are quite happy
W

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #2028 on: January 27, 2021, 01:04:05 pm »
You’d hope they would be in the circumstances but hey ho

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2029 on: January 27, 2021, 02:34:06 pm »
We are independent so I don't know that O word any more ;)

We have had parents unhappy with certain aspects of provision but few and far between. Most of them very supportive with a difficult job at the minute.

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2030 on: January 27, 2021, 02:39:03 pm »

We had one raise a complain to Ofsted last year which pre-empted a visit. We were overdue one anyways. Not since Covid has been a thing. We've had some wanting to speak to our EP or someone in the local authority.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2031 on: January 27, 2021, 04:52:32 pm »
We had one raise a complain to Ofsted last year which pre-empted a visit. We were overdue one anyways. Not since Covid has been a thing. We've had some wanting to speak to our EP or someone in the local authority.
Can I ask what issues they were raising?
W

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2032 on: January 28, 2021, 01:04:58 pm »
Can I ask what issues they were raising?

We're an SEMH provision, where we can use RPI where necessary. Child was very violent when dysregulated and could cause significant harm to others, we held them once and mum didn't like it. I think it was the straw that broke the camels back to be fair as she had had several schools try and fail to meet the needs of their child, she'd been promised lots by Local Authority which in her mind hadn't been delivered. The child did move provisions shortly after.

We had done everything we needed to in terms of recording and follow up. We had the event captured on CCTV, which was looked at by variety of people and nothing ever came of it other than an inspection by Ofsted.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2033 on: January 28, 2021, 01:28:45 pm »
Ah... somewhat extraordinary circumstances!
W

Offline McrRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2034 on: March 4, 2021, 07:04:51 am »
As a former LA senior manager, an opportunity for a non-teaching head of year post has come up near me. Poorly paid...but it's non teaching. I've been doing college work for the last ten years or so with a stint a couple of years ago as a humanities teacher in a local academy.

What are your thoughts, you heads of year? Should I go for it? Is the job still recognisable? Can I achieve job satisfaction?

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #2035 on: March 4, 2021, 07:07:42 am »
As a former LA senior manager, an opportunity for a non-teaching head of year post has come up near me. Poorly paid...but it's non teaching. I've been doing college work for the last ten years or so with a stint a couple of years ago as a humanities teacher in a local academy.

What are your thoughts, you heads of year? Should I go for it? Is the job still recognisable? Can I achieve job satisfaction?

Funnily enough, we've just reactivated non-teaching HoY positions in school (I've been there 10 years and we haven't had them in that time). We've been divided by a House system for such a long time buy the new Head hates it and advertised for these. They start after Easter so can't really offer any more of an insight than that for now... but apparently a lot of our staff did apply as internal candidates.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2036 on: March 4, 2021, 09:49:20 am »
Ofsted in the building today for monitoring visit......brilliant!
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2037 on: March 4, 2021, 10:20:52 am »
Ofsted in the building today for monitoring visit......brilliant!
Blimey... as if you’ve not hit enough to deal with...

Good luck
W

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2038 on: March 15, 2021, 02:55:24 pm »
Blimey... as if you’ve not hit enough to deal with...

Good luck

It actually went really well. Timing was beneficial as our kids have been very excited and hard to engage since coming back to site!
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2039 on: March 15, 2021, 05:16:26 pm »
It actually went really well. Timing was beneficial as our kids have been very excited and hard to engage since coming back to site!
Good to hear....

Well done, that can’t have been easy...
W