Author Topic: The Teachers' Thread  (Read 180788 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: The Teachers' Thread
« Reply #1920 on: October 7, 2020, 09:13:46 pm »
Fear I suppose. Classes of 30, small classrooms with social distancing impossible, little to no cleaning between lessons, I'm worried about bringing it home to my new born. First time in 18 years that I'm considering doing something else instead.
Yeah, we’ve got quite  small classrooms too. 

Just need to be careful to not get with 2 meters.  It is possible.  Fuck  knows what’s happening  at the back of my class.  I don’t go there.

I’m not touching any work, they hand it all in on teams.

I reek of hand sanitiser, I could catch fire if I go near a flame. We have wipes for teachers and we wipe down ourselves at the end and start of lessons. Classroom are only used by one year group.

Your little one is very very unlikely to have serious issues of contracting the virus. It doesn’t seem to really affect really young kids.  Whilst it’s scary, you’re really unlikely to be putting your little one at risk. 

Think of the pluses.  How much  accountability have you seen?  Has it made anything worse?

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1921 on: October 23, 2020, 05:33:29 pm »
So my GF handed her notice in today. She starts her PhD in Jan and obv has to give plenty of notice.

The Head and Head of Dept were in tears apparently but actually quite supportive. Think it helped she wasn't leaving to go to another school.

The head recommended she gets her name down for supply teaching (and they are apparently going to contact her directly once they know her uni schedule. Anyone done supply teaching before - any tips I can pass on to her?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1922 on: October 23, 2020, 05:36:35 pm »
Go armed.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1923 on: October 23, 2020, 05:43:18 pm »
Go armed.

That was already my advice  ;D ;D

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #1924 on: October 23, 2020, 06:10:24 pm »
If its in her old school it'll be a doddle.

Hardest thing is trying to establish a reputation but if the kids already know her I'm sure she'll be fine.

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1925 on: October 24, 2020, 03:50:01 pm »
Hope you all manage to enjoy the half-term break and switch off a bit x

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1926 on: October 26, 2020, 07:31:34 pm »
Hope everyone is having a good half term.

Just a few questions for anyone who has done a Head of Year role before - how many free periods should you be getting per week?

There's 6 head of Years in the school and having looked at their timetables they all seem to have more free time than me
 I teach English to every single year group this year whereas the other HOY either only teach A Level subjects and KS4 mainly or aren't a full time teacher anyway.

We have 8 x 40 minute lessons per day. I currently have the following frees per day of 40 minutes so I teach 30 out of 40 lessons per week.

Monday- 0
Tuesday - 2
Wednesday- 3
Thursday - 2
Friday- 3

Does that seem about right? I've never done this role before so genuinely have no idea.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 07:34:12 pm by UntouchableLuis »
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1927 on: October 26, 2020, 07:36:36 pm »
My missus used to get 11 (55 mins) over 2 weeks when she was HoY.

She’s also an English teacher, as well as being one of two who handled the A-Level Eng Lang course.

As with you, she got less than the others and eventually she ended up giving it up as they didn’t give her any more despite saying they would.

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1928 on: October 26, 2020, 07:39:14 pm »
My missus used to get 11 over 2 weeks when she was HoY.

She’s also an English teacher, as well as being one of two who handled the A-Level Eng Lang course.

As with you, she got less than the others and eventually she ended up giving it up as they didn’t give her any more despite saying they would.

Cheers.

Yeah I'm teaching A Level for the first time in 6 years as well with a totally different course.

I feel sometimes like I'm overloaded. For example if something kicks off with my year group on a Monday I literally have no time at all in the day other than a break or lunch time to try and sort it out.

I'm only doing this role temporary until someone comes back from maternity (probably around Arpil time). The pay is nice for me at the minute as planning a wedding but definitely wouldn't want to do it full time as it's more stress than its worth IMO

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #1929 on: October 26, 2020, 07:45:44 pm »
HoY here, also temporary although the person I was covering for is back and head of a different year now so who knows how long I’ll last as it

I get 11 or 12 non contact a fortnight (which is more than my HoD)

Still love the role though; I’d never wanted to progress as a curriculum leader but found my niche with pastoral

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1930 on: October 26, 2020, 07:46:30 pm »
Yeah she teaches A-Level Lit too, but her school decided they wanted to offer Language so her and another teacher (being the only two with experience) designed the course and are the only two who teach it. Not that the school recognise that as they get fuck all extra for it.

She started with HoY when someone went off on sick so her timetable didn’t allow for extra frees. It was only meant to be temp but ended up being for the whole year as the other teacher never returned. They promised extra frees when the timetables were being done for the following year as she was given it permanently but they actually took an hour off her - she had to fight to get more and ended up with the same as previously.

Come the following year they did the same again, and she ended up giving it up part way through that year (this was Feb 2020) as it was just too much. Was a 4 and a bit grand paycut but she was so much happier.

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1931 on: October 26, 2020, 07:52:01 pm »
HoY here, also temporary although the person I was covering for is back and head of a different year now so who knows how long I’ll last as it

I get 11 or 12 non contact a fortnight (which is more than my HoD)

Still love the role though; I’d never wanted to progress as a curriculum leader but found my niche with pastoral

Are those frees an hour long?

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #1932 on: October 26, 2020, 08:13:49 pm »
Oh yeah sorry, all of the 50 lessons on the timetable are 1 hour (meaning so are the non contact times)

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1933 on: October 27, 2020, 10:20:18 pm »
So my GF handed her notice in today. She starts her PhD in Jan and obv has to give plenty of notice.

The Head and Head of Dept were in tears apparently but actually quite supportive. Think it helped she wasn't leaving to go to another school.

The head recommended she gets her name down for supply teaching (and they are apparently going to contact her directly once they know her uni schedule. Anyone done supply teaching before - any tips I can pass on to her?

I currently do it, as a male PE teacher it's a scrap for a permanent role.

It's sound to be honest, most schools in Liverpool aren't bad at all. Just follow the school's behavioural policy, once they get to know you it's lovely.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1934 on: October 27, 2020, 10:34:40 pm »
I currently do it, as a male PE teacher it's a scrap for a permanent role.

It's sound to be honest, most schools in Liverpool aren't bad at all. Just follow the school's behavioural policy, once they get to know you it's lovely.

He many sort of days do you tend to get mate?

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1935 on: October 27, 2020, 10:36:07 pm »
He many sort of days do you tend to get mate?

5 days most weeks. It tends to be quieter the first 3-4 weeks of term in September, usually gets mad after that.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1936 on: October 27, 2020, 10:39:26 pm »
5 days most weeks. It tends to be quieter the first 3-4 weeks of term in September, usually gets mad after that.

Oh wow, so loads then. That all relatively local?

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1937 on: October 27, 2020, 10:49:48 pm »
Oh wow, so loads then. That all relatively local?

I've been in quite a lot of Liverpool schools yeah, the odd one on the Wirral and a couple in Warrington. Depends on which subject; Maths, English & Science will be in higher demand.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #1938 on: November 4, 2020, 07:31:00 pm »
Monbiot on how local expertise was outsourced to serco script kiddies on the 17th September. Did you notice the advice being given change? I certainly did:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/03/advice-schools-covid-infection-pupils-classrooms-test-and-trace?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1939 on: November 15, 2020, 08:05:46 pm »
How's Covid going? Had 2 positive cases in my year 8 class this week...

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1940 on: November 15, 2020, 08:09:51 pm »
2 cases in the sixth form.
2 in year 11
Two staff.....

But loads of staff isolating. We are hanging on by the skin of our teeth.
W

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #1941 on: November 15, 2020, 08:29:45 pm »
Not had any since half term - I’ve obviously jinxed that now though

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1942 on: November 16, 2020, 10:51:14 am »
How's Covid going? Had 2 positive cases in my year 8 class this week...

Daughter was due to go back to her High School in Stockport today after maternity leave.  (She's a teacher not a pupil :) )

Got a call from the head yesterday afternoon.  Outbreak of staff infections so don't bother

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1943 on: November 17, 2020, 02:46:33 pm »
What do people think of this?

I'm a Head of Year this year for the first time, not had any training so just learning as I go along.

I have 4 form tutors for my year group but 3 are off long term. (1 stress and 2 shielding with covid). My school is independent so we do our own cover. They have got in some supply none the less but at the moment I'm being asked to cover a form every day both morning and afternoon because of this meaning I have no time to sort out and pastoral issues in the year group.

Do you think this is something that should be challenged? I have a feeling I'm going to burn out as don't feel this is sustainable on top of a pretty busy timetable of teaching.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1944 on: November 17, 2020, 05:59:02 pm »
What do people think of this?

I'm a Head of Year this year for the first time, not had any training so just learning as I go along.

I have 4 form tutors for my year group but 3 are off long term. (1 stress and 2 shielding with covid). My school is independent so we do our own cover. They have got in some supply none the less but at the moment I'm being asked to cover a form every day both morning and afternoon because of this meaning I have no time to sort out and pastoral issues in the year group.

Do you think this is something that should be challenged? I have a feeling I'm going to burn out as don't feel this is sustainable on top of a pretty busy timetable of teaching.
You lost me at independent school... ;D

The first step is to let them know you’re struggling.  It’s easy to lose sight amidst the struggle to keep schools open. Just be honest. 
W

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1945 on: November 17, 2020, 06:29:14 pm »
You lost me at independent school... ;D

The first step is to let them know you’re struggling.  It’s easy to lose sight amidst the struggle to keep schools open. Just be honest. 

It's basically impossible to do the Head of Year role effectively and be a form tutor every day at the same time- that's my issue. Will see how the next few days go.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #1946 on: November 17, 2020, 06:35:47 pm »
Yep. Form time is the ideal time to visit groups and pick up any issues - you can’t do that if you’ve got a group yourself

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1947 on: November 17, 2020, 06:42:05 pm »
3 teachers off with Covid and 11 isolating (might include those 3) in total at my son’s school. Is that about par for the course at the moment?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1948 on: November 17, 2020, 06:45:44 pm »
3 teachers off with Covid and 11 isolating (might include those 3) in total at my son’s school. Is that about par for the course at the moment?

My Gf's school has had similar numbers in recent weeks, although think they have less this week.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1949 on: November 17, 2020, 06:50:27 pm »
Yep...

We’ve got 10 off.  We’ve got some off with normal issues too.  Really hard to carry on.

Our cover bill is astronomical.

Essentially, we’re going to run out of money.
W

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #1950 on: November 17, 2020, 07:23:33 pm »
Yeah sounds similar to our numbers too. We have long term supply and some other pastoral staff who take care of most of the cover so the bill isn’t that bad yet

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #1951 on: November 18, 2020, 12:38:43 pm »
My wife’s school is 100% virtual and the teachers teach from their classrooms to kids at home. Last week they still had 5 teachers out with Cvd. It is pretty active in this area after about 6 months.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #1952 on: January 3, 2021, 11:53:15 am »
I haven’t posted in the teacher thread for sometime, so I thought it best to give a reminder for primary teachers and parents out there about my free maths resource website:

https://myminimaths.co.uk/

The website is completely free to use and contains 1000s of daily maths tasks. Many 100s of schools use the site daily and throughout lockdown and found the resources easy to link for quick access for their pupils, so I hope that you will find it very useful.

There is also an extensive set of practice papers for Year 6 SATs, along with target question practice and help videos to support pupils in preparation for KS2 SATs.

Arithmetic practice papers are here:
https://myminimaths.co.uk/year-6-arithmetic-practice-papers/

Take care everybody and I hope everybody has a safe return to their primary schools tomorrow.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1953 on: January 4, 2021, 10:27:33 am »
Back in today and briefed on the plan for mass testing. Due to the difficulty in getting DBS checks in etc for any community volunteers they won't be asking for any and they want school staff to form teams of 20 (I'd be surprised if we can scrape a single team together, let alone multiple) to administer a test to all students in each year bubble every 3 days.

I had my first experience of a rapid test last week, it made me gag and my eyes water like anything. Watching a thousand teenagers fuss over this every few days is going to be a pain, to say the least.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1954 on: January 4, 2021, 10:37:28 am »
Back in today and briefed on the plan for mass testing. Due to the difficulty in getting DBS checks in etc for any community volunteers they won't be asking for any and they want school staff to form teams of 20 (I'd be surprised if we can scrape a single team together, let alone multiple) to administer a test to all students in each year bubble every 3 days.

I had my first experience of a rapid test last week, it made me gag and my eyes water like anything. Watching a thousand teenagers fuss over this every few days is going to be a pain, to say the least.

My lads school is still waiting to hear what they need to do over the testing, good luck to them having to deal with this.If I had to test him at home, there would be murder as he's a fucking stroppy little shit these days. First day of remote learning and I already want to strangle him.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #1955 on: January 5, 2021, 01:23:17 pm »
Wow, the last two days have been pretty fucking stressful. Deputy Head teacher in a specialist provision.

Spent most of the day yesterday learning all the Covid testing protocols and working out how we're going to test students. Today has been spent contacting every parent because all of ours have EHCP's which means by government guidance they're vulnerable. All staff WFH bar SLT today and likely tomorrow, with 0 students currently on site.

The government have made a real fucking mess of this and I'm definitely picking up the pieces as I'd imagine millions over the country are.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1956 on: January 5, 2021, 01:37:08 pm »
What fun eh?

Another 6 months of unplanned chaos.
W

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #1957 on: January 5, 2021, 01:50:04 pm »
This is hell.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1958 on: January 5, 2021, 01:52:20 pm »
Looks like there might be some gcse exams next in the summer.

Maybe English maths and possibly science.

I’m at a loss to understand why A levels have gone myself.  Slim them down?  Maybe. But my kids are bewildered as to why they can’t sit them.
W

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1959 on: January 5, 2021, 03:50:58 pm »
Good luck to everyone - it's going to be a really bumpy half term. I think this will be in some ways easier than last time as we are all more competent with remote learning aspects, as are the kids, but in other ways far more stressful.

I think parents will demand more from teachers this time (certainly in my independent school!)

Testing is a big concern. Ours is still going ahead for staff and students on site with a body of 20 or so staff selected to assist with the process (myself included as a HOY).

I'm worried how I'm going to juggle my part in the testing process, teach online a pretty full timetable (I teach every single year group other than Year 13) and do my HOY duties.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2021, 03:59:49 pm by UntouchableLuis »