Author Topic: The Teachers' Thread  (Read 180742 times)

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
Re: The Teachers' Thread
« Reply #1880 on: September 4, 2020, 08:11:01 pm »
Ha my HoD kept talking about her room before being told that she needed to not think of it as her room!

I’ve got to say, I would be finding not having a room a lot lot harder if I didn’t have my own office. Seeing teachers displaced all over the school during their non contact times and they all look out of place

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1881 on: September 4, 2020, 08:45:23 pm »
Ha my HoD kept talking about her room before being told that she needed to not think of it as her room!

I’ve got to say, I would be finding not having a room a lot lot harder if I didn’t have my own office. Seeing teachers displaced all over the school during their non contact times and they all look out of place
They will, get used to it.

I once taught in 17 rooms...that was without a global pandemic!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1882 on: September 4, 2020, 08:59:05 pm »
What's the "my room" thing about?

Offline Oscarmac

• Kenny is King
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1883 on: September 4, 2020, 09:20:23 pm »
I am so so tired. Students are wrecked, in Ireland we are all wearing masks all day in class. Very tough going.
They are only great because we are on our knees......let us arise!

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #1884 on: September 4, 2020, 09:22:29 pm »

Its a room, that belongs to someone for a period of time.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1885 on: September 4, 2020, 09:22:38 pm »
Some teachers have a room they usually teach in. They become hugely possessive of them.

Now we are in bubbles, whole year groups are in one block.

So our year 11 are in our English block. The English teachers aren’t in the same room all the time.  Not happy at all!

I’ve seldom had that luxury!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1886 on: September 4, 2020, 09:23:36 pm »
I am so so tired. Students are wrecked, in Ireland we are all wearing masks all day in class. Very tough going.
I’m not used to standing up all day!  My muscles to do it have gone.....

I haven’t even taught a  lesson. But I’ve been absurdly busy.  Just different levels. 
« Last Edit: September 4, 2020, 09:40:33 pm by Tepid T₂O »
W

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #1887 on: September 4, 2020, 09:37:02 pm »
I’m not used to standing up all day!  My muscles to do it have gone.....

I haven’t even tagged a lesson. But I’ve been absurdly busy.  Just different levels. 
i am in next week running pc tests for year 12’s it will
be interesting for me to see how all this works
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1888 on: September 4, 2020, 09:40:19 pm »
i am in next week running pc tests for year 12’s it will
be interesting for me to see how all this works
It’s been good so far...  although our year 11 have not come back with good behaviour on their minds. The sixth form have been excellent though. Some kids are clearly nervous, but after a couple of days they’ve relaxed.  We’ve had really good compliance on maintaining bubbles but it’s early days.
W

Offline Oscarmac

• Kenny is King
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1889 on: September 4, 2020, 09:42:57 pm »
A lot of students mental health deeply affected, will need ever bit of my 20 years experience to get them through this. Working with a few new young teachers , my heart goes out to them.
They are only great because we are on our knees......let us arise!

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #1890 on: September 4, 2020, 10:10:39 pm »
Art rooms do not count as a class room, as no-one technically learns anything in there, nor do they feel as if they are learning anything. Other than detentions and the folding of half sided painted coloured paper, to make butterflies, these rooms are only really frequented by those who are shit at the important stuff, so take up art. Tepid.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1891 on: September 4, 2020, 10:39:31 pm »
Art rooms do not count as a class room, as no-one technically learns anything in there, nor do they feel as if they are learning anything. Other than detentions and the folding of half sided painted coloured paper, to make butterflies, these rooms are only really frequented by those who are shit at the important stuff, so take up art. Tepid.
Haha quite true! 
W

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1892 on: September 5, 2020, 01:37:42 pm »
My week was mixed - started the head of year role quite well I'd say - gave my first assembly and hosted a zoom welcome evening for 70 odd parents so baptism of fire but good to get that done early and feel more confident now.

Big issue with rooming though. So far I've been in 2 rooms with no workable projector/computer which is an issue. We've been told they're working on it but could be a few weeks which means I'm going to have to do lots of chalk and talk as it were, not the best for GCSE English.

It is harder to manage things when you've rushed to a building on the other side of school, the class are already there and the  computer isn't working etc - it goes against everything I've been used to as a teacher in terms of making sure lessons start well in an orderly fashion but it is what it is for the time being and we all have to just get on with it I guess.

Covid safety,  we're doing what we can but I think it's pretty impossible to manage it consistently - can see things slipping after a few weeks/months.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1893 on: September 5, 2020, 02:15:11 pm »
Different perspective to the rest of you as I'm in IT support rather than teaching, but we're essentially just rolling with whatever changes are needed so far. Our teachers are about to experience the 'travel to the kids' thing that everyone is doing, and we're about to get into a fight over how the classroom equipment is used, as some teachers have asked SLT to mandate that staff use their laptops instead and leave all the cables trailing over the desk for the next person. What they haven't reckoned on is that modern laptops, as issued to about 50% of the staff, don't have VGA ports anymore to connect to the projectors. So I predict a lot of running to classrooms in the first few weeks because some selfish teacher has decided to use their laptop and left it all disconnected for the next teacher.

It's also come out today that support staff have gone onto the statutory duty rota, which seems crazy - our busiest times for helping teachers is (funnily enough) outside of lesson time, so now 2 days a week they'll find the IT office closed because we're on duty before and after school, break time AND lunchtime on those days.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1894 on: September 5, 2020, 03:31:02 pm »
We don’t even have laptops..
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1895 on: September 6, 2020, 10:52:14 am »

The world would be a better place if everyone took up Art, Chopper.  ;)
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1896 on: September 6, 2020, 10:54:56 am »
The world would be a better place if everyone took up Art, Chopper.  ;)
Oh no ....

No no no...

Not me... I cannot draw anything
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1897 on: September 6, 2020, 11:02:12 am »
Oh no ....

No no no...

Not me... I cannot draw anything

Everyone can draw something, and the are so many different types of art you can do. You can do digital art just blending pictures together to make another picture. It is so relaxing, takes all the stress out of life. It was the one thing in the lockdown that kept me sane.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1898 on: September 6, 2020, 11:06:17 am »
Everyone can draw something, and the are so many different types of art you can do. You can do digital art just blending pictures together to make another picture. It is so relaxing, takes all the stress out of life. It was the one thing in the lockdown that kept me sane.

During lockdown I spent time creating a variety of landscapes and buildings for a model rail layout. I've never thought of myself as creative and I surprised myself at how well I managed.

However in school I was definitely in the Chopper camp when it came to art. Mind you all the lads with the best taste in music and clothes went on to art school so there must have been something in it.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1899 on: September 6, 2020, 11:17:22 am »
During lockdown I spent time creating a variety of landscapes and buildings for a model rail layout. I've never thought of myself as creative and I surprised myself at how well I managed.

However in school I was definitely in the Chopper camp when it came to art. Mind you all the lads with the best taste in music and clothes went on to art school so there must have been something in it.

I have to admit I am not the best artist my drawing is a bit hit and miss. But I don't even think it matters anyway you can still get away with that by painting around it. I am starting to attempt landscapes both in my painting and my digital art which I am really enjoying at the moment. It just keeps you occupied which is great in the situation we're in at the moment.

I loved Art at school, mainly because apart from English Literature I found school a really hard slog. That comes from having a sister and brother who did really well and after a slow start due to my hearing at Junior School, I always felt an intense pressure to do well. I always seemed to take to the creative stuff more than the practical lessons.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1900 on: September 6, 2020, 11:20:40 am »
No.  It’s the opposite. I hate it.  I’m so crap it irritates me and frustrates me.  It’s just not something I have any talent for.

My creative expression is from cooking and signing ....

I do envy people who are good at art, but I’m at the far other end of the spectrum!
W

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1901 on: September 6, 2020, 11:59:14 am »
I thought you were an Art teacher? :D what do you teach?

Good luck to you all, my kids are back in tomorrow. First day of working from home since lockdown where I’ll be completely alone.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1902 on: September 6, 2020, 12:03:39 pm »

Woodwork.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1903 on: September 6, 2020, 12:11:16 pm »

Good luck to you all, my kids are back in tomorrow. First day of working from home since lockdown where I’ll be completely alone.

He teaches English especially grammar.  ;)

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1904 on: September 6, 2020, 12:13:37 pm »

Chemistry!

The rest of our school is back tomorrow.  We’ve had 4 year groups in, now up to 7.

Let’s see if my master plan of restructuring the school works when it’s at full capacity.  It’s been good so far. The staff more of an issue than the pupils really

My kids go back tomorrow, my wife isn’t looking forward to them not being at home.
W

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1905 on: September 6, 2020, 02:15:31 pm »
We don’t even have laptops..

I have had teachers comment about how well equpped our staff are compared to other places they've worked (there are about as many laptops issued to staff as we have across the whole site for student use).

But I assumed that all schools did geneally equip their staff somehow?
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1906 on: September 6, 2020, 09:08:03 pm »
So the oldest has started primary, and looking to put the youngest into nursery in the new year, and where I am in life I'm looking to re-introduce myself into teaching after this year.  I didn't go into it after my training year so I'd be an NQT when I start, just after tips for what I can do between now and looking to apply when the jobs are likely to come around at the turn of the year.  Supply?  Tutoring?  I know a few of your guys have senior roles so, when recruiting, what would you look at which would mean I have a shout, because a 3-year gap from teaching without getting my NQT is a massive turn-off, I already know that.

Also, I'm already looking like I'll have two kids I'll be tutoring this year but while I've got work for them to do, I don't really know how I'll go about giving a price point per hour, how to pace the sessions, etc.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline God's Left Peg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1907 on: September 6, 2020, 09:44:19 pm »
So the oldest has started primary, and looking to put the youngest into nursery in the new year, and where I am in life I'm looking to re-introduce myself into teaching after this year.  I didn't go into it after my training year so I'd be an NQT when I start, just after tips for what I can do between now and looking to apply when the jobs are likely to come around at the turn of the year.  Supply?  Tutoring?  I know a few of your guys have senior roles so, when recruiting, what would you look at which would mean I have a shout, because a 3-year gap from teaching without getting my NQT is a massive turn-off, I already know that.

Also, I'm already looking like I'll have two kids I'll be tutoring this year but while I've got work for them to do, I don't really know how I'll go about giving a price point per hour, how to pace the sessions, etc.

Have a look at supply. Employers might be sceptical about your 3 year hiatus. However,  supply can open so many doors and gives you scope to make a positive impression ahead of vacancies becoming available.  Better still, you get a feel for the place. If you like it you stay, if you find if to be hell on earth you can do your stint and move on.
"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That's how I see football, that's how I see life."

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1908 on: September 6, 2020, 09:48:41 pm »
Yep, supply work.

It will prove you’ve still got the classroom routines in place.

What subject are you?  I seem to remember physics?

If that’s the case, you have no need to worry!
W

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1909 on: September 7, 2020, 08:30:41 pm »
Yeah, physics.  I had some mental health issues but just started to deal with those a lot more so feel in a better place to deal with things.  It's still been tough to get a position though even when I applied straight off the bat, had three rejections.

Going to look at registering for supply, wonder whether it'll be worthwhile to keep my current work in my back pocket too.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1910 on: September 7, 2020, 09:08:05 pm »
Yeah, physics.  I had some mental health issues but just started to deal with those a lot more so feel in a better place to deal with things.  It's still been tough to get a position though even when I applied straight off the bat, had three rejections.

Going to look at registering for supply, wonder whether it'll be worthwhile to keep my current work in my back pocket too.
I reckon you could pick up full time work within two weeks if you wanted.

Sign up with a couple of agencies.  Or just write to heads at schools you like.  Physics teachers are like rocking horse shit.

Up to you, but with physics, all avenues are open right now. 

(Glad to hear that you are in a better place though).
W

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1911 on: October 3, 2020, 11:17:44 pm »
Hey everyone, just wanted to say keep going.
We’ve nearly reached the half-term break. It’s been exhausting xx

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1912 on: October 6, 2020, 06:37:30 pm »
Shit atmosphere at the moment. Hating it.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1913 on: October 6, 2020, 06:50:15 pm »
Why shit mate?

W

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1914 on: October 6, 2020, 07:34:06 pm »
Why shit mate?

Everyone stressed, kids high as kites, 2 covid confirmed positive  cases this week and doubtless more incoming. It's just a nightmare.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1915 on: October 6, 2020, 07:37:09 pm »
Anyone noticed a relaxing of how strictly your schools are enforcing the covid rules?

Gf has come back today and said it’s nothing like the first week and both kids and senior management are becoming more and more lax about things.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1916 on: October 6, 2020, 07:57:03 pm »
Everyone stressed, kids high as kites, 2 covid confirmed positive  cases this week and doubtless more incoming. It's just a nightmare.
Can I ask why people are stressed?  Is there a particular reason for it?
W

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #1917 on: October 6, 2020, 08:59:35 pm »
Anyone noticed a relaxing of how strictly your schools are enforcing the covid rules?

Gf has come back today and said it’s nothing like the first week and both kids and senior management are becoming more and more lax about things.

Not at our place. We are just as on top of things, if not more on top of things than at the start of term. We’ve had a few cases and a few bubbles (sometimes classes, sometimes half of year groups) have had time self-isolating and working remotely.

I’m finding it the opposite myself. The endless, pointless academic tick boxes are on the back burner and just being able to teach seems to be at the forefront of lessons

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1918 on: October 6, 2020, 09:42:43 pm »
We’ve done lots to reduce workload for staff.  Some are really stressed, but others are enjoying getting on with teaching.

I am being relentlessly positive and upbeat ... because I know that I can influence the mood of others if I am.

I’m weighed down by enormous numbers of operational issues muskeg and I am knackered..  but it’s nice to see kids again.
W

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1919 on: October 7, 2020, 09:00:52 pm »
Can I ask why people are stressed?  Is there a particular reason for it?

Fear I suppose. Classes of 30, small classrooms with social distancing impossible, little to no cleaning between lessons, I'm worried about bringing it home to my new born. First time in 18 years that I'm considering doing something else instead.