Author Topic: The Teachers' Thread  (Read 180785 times)

Online Bcnsean

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Teachers' Thread
« Reply #1840 on: July 29, 2020, 05:25:31 pm »
Hi,

I was wondering if any teachers could help. I'm a history (and geog ) teacher currently working at an int school in Spain. I've been unsuccessful with a few applications and one interview. Looking to do some cpd courses next academic year to improve my CV. Considering the MEd but not sure how useful it is for the classroom, particularly when considering the cost. If anyone could recommend decent courses in either SEN, subject specific or general teaching practice I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #1841 on: July 29, 2020, 06:54:43 pm »
My wife teaches 5 year olds here in the States. School starts on Monday. All learning will be done on line.

At present, they are expecting all teachers to go into their class room and remotely teach from the classroom from 8-3.30 and only teachers allowed in school i.e. parents can't bring their own kids.

Seems a ridiculous decision to force everyone to drive in to school and how long is a kindergarten teacher really supposed to be online with 5 year olds.

Will be interesting to see how it rolls out.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1842 on: July 29, 2020, 07:26:53 pm »
My wife teaches 5 year olds here in the States. School starts on Monday. All learning will be done on line.

At present, they are expecting all teachers to go into their class room and remotely teach from the classroom from 8-3.30 and only teachers allowed in school i.e. parents can't bring their own kids.

Seems a ridiculous decision to force everyone to drive in to school and how long is a kindergarten teacher really supposed to be online with 5 year olds.

Will be interesting to see how it rolls out.
Yeah, weird.

Smacks of a total lack of trust... mind you, I’m not sure how you can teach 5 year olds remotely .... What a task..

What medium are they using?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #1843 on: July 29, 2020, 08:32:54 pm »
Tepid fibbing again. The medium is spuds and poster paint, you fuckin art teacher you. 
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1844 on: July 29, 2020, 09:13:31 pm »
Tepid fibbing again. The medium is spuds and poster paint, you fuckin art teacher you. 
:lmao

Acrylic zoom?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1845 on: August 11, 2020, 07:17:15 pm »
Anyone got any tips for being a Head of Year in Secondary School?

Been offered a one year stint as HOY for year 9. This is my 7th year in teaching and never had a position like it so far.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1846 on: August 11, 2020, 07:18:51 pm »

Been offered a one year stint as HOY for year 9. This is my 7th year in teaching and never had a position like it so far.
Partner with the head of the year above and ask their advice lots...

It’s hard work ...!
W

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1847 on: August 11, 2020, 07:32:58 pm »
Partner with the head of the year above and ask their advice lots...

It’s hard work ...!

I'm quite friendly with one of the year heads who has been there a while so he will definitely be a bit of a mentor for me! It's a fairly nice year group and I have taught every one of them before so have developed relationships with many.

I'm also teaching A Level for the first time in 6 years this September so definitely going to be a challenging year!

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1848 on: August 11, 2020, 10:51:27 pm »
I'm quite friendly with one of the year heads who has been there a while so he will definitely be a bit of a mentor for me! It's a fairly nice year group and I have taught every one of them before so have developed relationships with many.

I'm also teaching A Level for the first time in 6 years this September so definitely going to be a challenging year!

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #1849 on: August 12, 2020, 06:08:44 am »

Very similar to me that scenario. I’ve been HOY for just over a year and I absolutely love it. I’m definitely pastoral over curriculum!

As Tepid says, get advice from those who are experienced at it but don’t also be afraid to try your own ideas out

Be prepared to make lots of contact with parents, and have lots of parents wanting to contact you all the time. I think I spoke to more parents in my first month of being HOY than I did in my previous 10 years teaching!

Will you have an assistant? I’ve been lucky and have a great one (non teaching except for cover). You’ll have to delegate lots to them if you do while also making sure that you’re not getting them to do it all - it’s a tough balancing act

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1850 on: August 12, 2020, 09:38:48 am »
Very similar to me that scenario. I’ve been HOY for just over a year and I absolutely love it. I’m definitely pastoral over curriculum!

As Tepid says, get advice from those who are experienced at it but don’t also be afraid to try your own ideas out

Be prepared to make lots of contact with parents, and have lots of parents wanting to contact you all the time. I think I spoke to more parents in my first month of being HOY than I did in my previous 10 years teaching!

Will you have an assistant? I’ve been lucky and have a great one (non teaching except for cover). You’ll have to delegate lots to them if you do while also making sure that you’re not getting them to do it all - it’s a tough balancing act

I wont have an assistant- we are a pretty small independent school so there isn't any assistant heads of year or departments.

I do expect to work much longer hours this year but hopefully will enjoy the role. Will no doubt be a very different role due to covid regulations, at least until Christmas.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1851 on: August 12, 2020, 12:11:52 pm »
My GF was a HOY for the last 2.5 years. She gave it up just before lock down happened as it was an absolute shit load of extra work with no additional free time allocated for it on her time table over what she had as just a teacher and the additional pay meant she was getting about £4 an hour after tax for the amount of her time she was putting in.

She loved the role though, but definitely make sure you've got additional free time allocated for it or you'll be using up plenty more of your own time (which if you're like most teachers I know is pretty limited as it is).

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #1852 on: August 12, 2020, 02:56:19 pm »
Sounds like she got a raw deal from what I remember Craig. I get a good amount of extra time (12 hours) and although the TLR isn’t what I would like it to be (2a) I took the job on as temporary and have just been kept on for a bit longer so hopefully that can go up

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1853 on: August 12, 2020, 03:38:14 pm »
I think independent pay structures are different to state. I was told I'd get a reduced timetable and I'm expecting some of my key stage 3 classes to be taken off me but not sure how many hours extra I'll get yet. We don't have the same protected time in independent and can be asked to cover colleagues.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1854 on: August 26, 2020, 12:48:08 pm »
Anyone else concerned about going back with current Covid guidance...?

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1855 on: August 26, 2020, 12:48:36 pm »
Anyone else concerned about going back with current Covid guidance...?

There has been guidance?  ;D

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1856 on: August 26, 2020, 12:49:45 pm »
There has been guidance?  ;D

Well you know all the Johnson bullshit!

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #1857 on: August 26, 2020, 09:23:14 pm »
Yep. Very concerned and not looking forward to it at all

Offline v15kop

• Main Stander
« Reply #1858 on: August 27, 2020, 08:29:13 am »
Yes. 1800+ student secondary school here that is already too small for the number of people.

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1859 on: August 27, 2020, 09:36:50 am »
Yes. 1800+ student secondary school here that is already too small for the number of people.

Same here!

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1860 on: August 27, 2020, 05:55:47 pm »
I'm just not looking forward to having to teach in 5 different classrooms, staggered breaks and lunches, keeping year groups apart, policies around touching pens, books etc.

Just so many things affected in a school. Even taking a mobile off a kid if they have it out in a lesson needs to be thought out, can we touch the phone? Do we need to then spray it with disinfectant? It's just a massive headache.

I'm hoping it all goes better than expected as the first week usually does but this year I just can't see anything but a bumpy start.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #1861 on: August 27, 2020, 06:48:38 pm »
As a recent meme said, just wait until certain kids realise that they can get a fortnight off by being ill for a day.

And the thought of later in the term when the coughs and colds start up ...

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1862 on: August 28, 2020, 04:30:32 pm »
Just been told our kids and staff have to wear masks in corridors, communal areas and at break and lunch. It'll be interesting.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1863 on: August 28, 2020, 04:43:05 pm »
Just been told our kids and staff have to wear masks in corridors, communal areas and at break and lunch. It'll be interesting.
Yeah...

Us too.  It makes sense in some ways, it always parents fears as much as possible.  But none of this will be easy for hormone ridden teenagers..

As a recent meme said, just wait until certain kids realise that they can get a fortnight off by being ill for a day.

And the thought of later in the term when the coughs and colds start up ...
You wait until certain staff find out!
W

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1864 on: August 28, 2020, 05:01:51 pm »

When you say break and lunch do you mean indoors?

What happens if the kids don't do this, will you be sanctioning?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1865 on: August 28, 2020, 05:04:06 pm »

Part of the normal behaviour policy on uniform.  Hopefully peer pressure will be useful.
W

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1866 on: August 28, 2020, 05:14:48 pm »

Not sure as school has said it is "not mandatory" only "recommended".

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #1867 on: August 28, 2020, 07:02:21 pm »
Yeah we are recommended rather than mandatory for masks

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1868 on: August 31, 2020, 02:41:27 pm »
This last three weeks has been my worst time in education.

Since we switched to centre assessed grades I’ve fielded over 100 requests for appeal.  None have any grounds for appeal.
I’ve had all sorts of emails.  Heart strings, mental health issues raised, blatant abuse....

I’ve taken every single contact as I wanted to shelter my colleagues.  But it’s really got to me now.  I dread opening up my emails.  This shit storm as avoidable, but the government has turned it back onto schools and their staff.

Hey ho.
W

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1869 on: August 31, 2020, 02:47:00 pm »

Since we switched to centre assessed grades I’ve fielded over 100 requests for appeal.  None have any grounds for appeal.
I’ve had all sorts of emails.  Heart strings, mental health issues raised, blatant abuse....

I’ve taken every single contact as I wanted to shelter my colleagues.  But it’s really got to me now.  I dread opening up my emails.  This shit storm as avoidable, but the government has turned it back onto schools and their staff.

Hey ho.

Feel sorry for you ! Reminds me of my years of coaching football for my son and his team. went in with a lot of spirit and wanted to contribute.. No payment/reimbursement; probably spent a couple of hundred of pounds every year and quite a few years.. Loved the boys and the training/matches etc; could have killed some of the parents - having endless e-mails trails; meetings, abuse.

take care
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #1870 on: August 31, 2020, 02:59:14 pm »
Yeah, weird.

Smacks of a total lack of trust... mind you, I’m not sure how you can teach 5 year olds remotely .... What a task..

What medium are they using?

every school system here has gone virtual in my area. virus cases get more and more daily, which is crazy this far in. I think older teachers would quit en masse if schools went fully in person.

For her age group, she has does about 5 - 3-5 minute videos per day and face times her students for a few minutes each day. I think she puts out some things for her parents to help kids with. At that age it does seem quite simplistic really and she is basically providing a frame work for the parents to teach the kids.

We have 10-13 year old kids in the house and they get assignments daily and the teachers are working their ass off handling the myriad of questions. The software is not easy to use. The local schools use Canvas or Unified Classroom and zoom meetings. It sort of works but is just hard.

My wife use to come home exhausted in years past from difficult kids making her day so much harder. Kids with autism etc. who have not been streamed out yet as it is their first year of school. Now that those kids are all at arms length then her stress level is so much lower when she gets home.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1871 on: August 31, 2020, 03:03:42 pm »
every school system here has gone virtual in my area. virus cases get more and more daily, which is crazy this far in. I think older teachers would quit en masse if schools went fully in person.

For her age group, she has does about 5 - 3-5 minute videos per day and face times her students for a few minutes each day. I think she puts out some things for her parents to help kids with. At that age it does seem quite simplistic really and she is basically providing a frame work for the parents to teach the kids.

We have 10-13 year old kids in the house and they get assignments daily and the teachers are working their ass off handling the myriad of questions. The software is not easy to use. The local schools use Canvas or Unified Classroom and zoom meetings. It sort of works but is just hard.

My wife use to come home exhausted in years past from difficult kids making her day so much harder. Kids with autism etc. who have not been streamed out yet as it is their first year of school. Now that those kids are all at arms length then her stress level is so much lower when she gets home.
Yeah... it’s been weird that.

I’ve worked really hard, but I’ve not been as exhausted as teaching in front of a class.

Mind you I’ve probably had it worst.  Being an administrator (I think you guys call it), I only teach 50% of the time, but I’ve had a hell of a job with training staff and trying to prepare for reopening with isolated year bubbles.

We’ve used Teams and MS Forms mostly.  It’s actually pretty good.  But you’ve got to get your head round it first. 

I’ve missed teaching kids though.  It’s so tiring, but when it goes well it’s a great feeling.  Not the same on line at all.
W

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #1872 on: August 31, 2020, 03:14:27 pm »
Yeah... it’s been weird that.

I’ve worked really hard, but I’ve not been as exhausted as teaching in front of a class.

Mind you I’ve probably had it worst.  Being an administrator (I think you guys call it), I only teach 50% of the time, but I’ve had a hell of a job with training staff and trying to prepare for reopening with isolated year bubbles.

We’ve used Teams and MS Forms mostly.  It’s actually pretty good.  But you’ve got to get your head round it first. 

I’ve missed teaching kids though.  It’s so tiring, but when it goes well it’s a great feeling.  Not the same on line at all.

her school system has some fucked up ideas. the basic teaching is progressing its own way and just like you all the teachers seem to be working hard and not only learning teaching but learning the software and learning what delivery system works best. Pretty sure no teaching school never focused on online teaching methods for any length of time.

My wifes school system used to have the teachers in at 7.15 as the school opened at 7.30 and the kids can get breakfast in their class room (tthe school is in a tough area and gets a govt grant for such things). School starts proper at 8. In the afternoon, school finishes at 2.45 and the last kid leaves about 3.15 and the teachers can go at 3.30.

So during covid, her administrators are making all the teachers go to school at 7.15 even though online classes don't start until 9 and they cannot leave until 3.15. All the teachers are livid. They are being treated like punch in punch out factory workers in the 70s.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1873 on: August 31, 2020, 03:16:21 pm »
her school system has some fucked up ideas. the basic teaching is progressing its own way and just like you all the teachers seem to be working hard and not only learning teaching but learning the software and learning what delivery system works best. Pretty sure no teaching school never focused on online teaching methods for any length of time.

My wifes school system used to have the teachers in at 7.15 as the school opened at 7.30 and the kids can get breakfast in their class room (tthe school is in a tough area and gets a govt grant for such things). School starts proper at 8. In the afternoon, school finishes at 2.45 and the last kid leaves about 3.15 and the teachers can go at 3.30.

So during covid, her administrators are making all the teachers go to school at 7.15 even though online classes don't start until 9 and they cannot leave until 3.15. All the teachers are livid. They are being treated like punch in punch out factory workers in the 70s.
Ah that’s stupid.  These aren’t normal times, teachers are professionals, you need to treat them that way.  Some of our staff have slacked off a bit, yes, but far more have gone above and beyond
W

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1874 on: August 31, 2020, 04:46:54 pm »

Hey ho.

There can't be many more challenging times than this for education mate so don't be hard on yourself.

I've already started having emails from parents now that I'm a Head of Year asking why they're in certain forms, certain classes, what procedures are for this, that and the other so I definitely get that feeling of dreading opening up the emails!

I'm going to delegate as much as I can to form tutors once the year properly kicks in as don't want 50 odd emails a day coming in from parents asking mundane questions.

I think this term to Christmas will likely be one of the most challenging we will ever face - I'm going to try and enjoy it as much as possible though.

Started trying to adjust things today to get a healthier mind, I'm cutting out caffeine, exercising more and eating better. I don't want to be coming home knackered every day and think we'll need a lot of energy this term.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1875 on: August 31, 2020, 04:52:08 pm »
I'm going to delegate as much as I can to form tutors once the year properly kicks in as don't want 50 odd emails a day coming in from parents asking mundane questions.

They're going to love you  ;D

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1876 on: August 31, 2020, 04:58:26 pm »
They're going to love you  ;D

Obviously I'll deal with the bulk but when I was a form tutor I could always take the smaller stuff, they're ultimately the ones who spend every morning with their group and first port of call. It's a fine balance but necessary to not become overloaded when the actual teaching is quite a lot for me as well.

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #1877 on: August 31, 2020, 07:35:33 pm »
Ah form tutors are going to become the bane of your life...

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1878 on: August 31, 2020, 07:52:35 pm »
I feel for you all, my heart goes out to you.
It's gonna be a shit show at every level and despite detailed planning by the schools, some before the end of term, some since the latest guidance, I predict chaos.

Starting at the bus stop. Confusion within the schools. Bewilderment at home.

I feel for you all. Did anyone think of the pupils?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1879 on: September 4, 2020, 07:35:56 pm »
Oh my god....

What a week.

I’m broken.  Not used to standing up all day again either!

There’s always 1000 issues to solve at the start of term, but this year it’s way more.

We’ve only had 4 year group in, the other three on Monday. The bubbles have worked well so far, all down to my immaculate planning I’m sure ;D

Staff are being a pain in the arse.  Loads of request to change rooms to ‘their’ room. They don’t quite get that there is no ‘their’ room anymore.

I’m am fucking knackered though....  I need a holiday. 
W