Author Topic: Maggie May's Recipe A Day  (Read 151873 times)

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
Re: Maggie May's Recipe A Day
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2008, 01:04:24 pm »
You can't leave a story like that unfinished!  I demand a resolution, dammit!

Oh sorry mate.  I thought I had.  These new fangled computer machines.  You can't trust them you know.  Not like in my day when everying had to be typed out and sent to people, and you knew were you were.

Anyway. 

Where was I? 

Oh yeah.

It was before the Indian cuisine took off.  We did eat an Indian meal in a restaurant in Bold Street once.  The most memorable memory was that they had a life sized tiger which which was inexpertantly stuffed (possib

(Possibly by soaked copies of the Liverpool Echo).  Well whatever it was, it dried out, unbelievably,  during the course of our supposed romantic meal, and the tiger's head drooped increasingly towards our table.

Now I do have to hand it to Mr May.  He could not have been unaware of a stuffed tiger's head moving slowly towards his left shoulder, but he never flinched nor halted in his expressions of devotion to me, right up until the point when the tigers' head dropped off and landed smack bang in the centre of the table when we were having coffee and mints.  Whatta man.   :champ :scarf :thumbup :wellin
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2008, 02:47:19 pm »
I've had a turtle's head make an appearance in the middle of a curry but never a tiger's.
Legacy fan

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2008, 02:50:32 pm »
Good thread. Put on at least a stone reading it. ;)
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline trigger

• sexist and shallow
  • Legacy Fan
  • The romans invented the knob on a stick
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2008, 03:38:17 pm »
Here's your link to a Scouse dedicated thread....

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=199329.0

That's a very confusing thread....some of it looks like dog vomit,   got a definitive recipe?
Frankly if your team is mentioned in a Liverpool song, you should be chuffed

Offline Rox

• Gets His Off Regularly. Man's best friend's best friend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2008, 04:48:06 pm »
That's a very confusing thread....some of it looks like dog vomit,   got a definitive recipe?

Most types of stew do - and because it's a stew made up predominantly of left-overs, by definition there cannot be a single recipe for it.
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2008, 11:08:30 am »
Sorry everyone, but I've hurt my left hand and can hardly type so I won't be posting for a few days.  I think I've got enough recipes "in the bank" to tide me over for a bit.  :'(

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Helly

« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2008, 01:03:29 pm »
Bugger, was going to ask you a culinary question, will ask you anyway and you can answer when youre better...

Monday to Friday I start work at 1.30pm, have to leave the house no later than 12.40pm.  So I have to serve James his lunch at dead on 12.  Cant spend all morning cooking as I have so many other things to do.  Can you suggest some recipes for quick wholesome food, simple enough for dim tarts like me to do and suitable for James to eat?

Ta :-* :wave

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2008, 01:08:25 pm »
Soup  :D

Helly

« Reply #128 on: January 17, 2008, 01:14:40 pm »
Did make Sweet Potatoe and Red Pepper on Sunday :thumbup

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: January 17, 2008, 01:19:34 pm »
Bugger, was going to ask you a culinary question, will ask you anyway and you can answer when youre better...

Monday to Friday I start work at 1.30pm, have to leave the house no later than 12.40pm.  So I have to serve James his lunch at dead on 12.  Cant spend all morning cooking as I have so many other things to do.  Can you suggest some recipes for quick wholesome food, simple enough for dim tarts like me to do and suitable for James to eat?

Ta :-* :wave

its fine.  i've got used to typing with one hand and sticking to lower case, but trying to put up recipes properly with upper and lower case takes forever.  can you give me a few bits to go on, please?  how old is James now?  does he have any particular food likes and dislikes?  do you have a freezer or a fridge with a freezer compartment?  what food budget do you have? 

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #130 on: January 17, 2008, 01:20:44 pm »
What's wrong with Turkey Twizzlers and Potato Smilies?
Legacy fan

Helly

« Reply #131 on: January 17, 2008, 01:27:38 pm »
Hello lovely lady :wave

James is 18 months old, but doesnt have back teeth yet so any meat still has to be chopped.  Only food the fat sod dislikes is tuna and he is allergic to blueberries.

I'm still running around like an utter blue arse fly so I never know what Im doing from one day to the next.  So generally I prefer to have stuff frozen in the freezer.  For example I dont buy fresh onions, peppers, mushrooms etc because I dont know if they will get used or not so I buy them frozen.  Bad I know but I dont want to spend a fortune on fresh veg just for it to go in the bin.  Bit obsessive over what James eats.  Wont let him have artificial colours, preservatives, high salt, high sugar stuff.  Even the tins of beans and spaghetti I have in the cupboards is reduced salt and sugar, even the tomatoe sauce is. 

Budget is not luxury but if its something that might cost a bit to make but I can then freeze it and get a few meals from it  thats fine.

Easiest example is todays lunch, he had a grilled vegetable burger, followed by a fromage frais.

Hope that helps :wave

Offline MattLFC08

• Forgetful nose poker-inner - Who Must Try Harder!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 Never Forgotten.
« Reply #132 on: January 17, 2008, 01:39:32 pm »
How the hell did i miss this thread so far?
"As I come here to Liverpool and to Anfield I have drummed it into our players time and again, they are PRIVILEGED to play for you and if you did not believe me! Do You Believe Me Now?"

Bill Shankly (2 September 1913 – 29 September 1981)

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: January 17, 2008, 03:02:38 pm »
Hello lovely lady :wave

James is 18 months old, but doesnt have back teeth yet so any meat still has to be chopped.  Only food the fat sod dislikes is tuna and he is allergic to blueberries.

I'm still running around like an utter blue arse fly so I never know what Im doing from one day to the next.  So generally I prefer to have stuff frozen in the freezer.  For example I dont buy fresh onions, peppers, mushrooms etc because I dont know if they will get used or not so I buy them frozen.  Bad I know but I dont want to spend a fortune on fresh veg just for it to go in the bin.  Bit obsessive over what James eats.  Wont let him have artificial colours, preservatives, high salt, high sugar stuff.  Even the tins of beans and spaghetti I have in the cupboards is reduced salt and sugar, even the tomatoe sauce is. 

Budget is not luxury but if its something that might cost a bit to make but I can then freeze it and get a few meals from it  thats fine.

Easiest example is todays lunch, he had a grilled vegetable burger, followed by a fromage frais.

Hope that helps :wave

Hello sugar pants  :wave

frozen veg is not bad at all - the reverse is true.  i was reading an article the other day that said, modern picking and freezing methods being so rapid and efficient, unless you actually buy your veg at the farm gate, frozen veg is far more nutritious than fresh which has been hauled across country and sitting in the supermarket for a few days - so you are spot on with the frozen stuff. 

what i had in mind is you cooking in reasonable bulk (say as you would for two or more adults), getting some cartons and making up mini-meals that you can easily defrost in the micro.  if you (or anyone who can do this for you), get to a chinese supermarket, you can buy a stack of the small takeaway cartons for a fraction of the cost you'd get them in a supermarket (but bear in mind that some sell the cardboard lids separately, but even so, they are silly cheap).  they store well in the freezer, and i use them lots.

if you cook (say) cottage pie using mince, that would be easy for James to eat.  you could just cook the mince, and then when it is completely cold, mix in your frozen carrots and peas, put the cooked cold spuds on top and return the mini-meal to the freezer.  that way you won't be cooking the veg twice, and when you cook the mini-meal in the micro, the veg will heat through.  if you're unsure about doing that, you could buy a small quantity of veg just for the one job.  same goes for creamy fish pie, when you'd flake the fish really small.  and scouse, obviously.  and all three are cheap to make.

that's all i can think of off the top of my head.  if you're happy to go with this, let me know and i'll look up some more stuff anyway.

Not to fret, Maggie - to date you've racked up a tidy sum of 26 recipes, so you've got plenty of time to recover your typing ability.

cheers for that matey.  its coming along.  worst is my thumb, index and middle fingers which i managed to wrench back, but they're getting better each day.   ::)

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: January 17, 2008, 06:02:55 pm »
Soup  :D

Thank you for the broccoli and stilton cheese recipe, Lo. It was great and so very easy. Maybe I'll try it next time with cheddar.

Hope you feel better soon Maggie.
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer
https://www.youtube.com/@refaatalareer9499

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: January 21, 2008, 10:23:06 am »
Hope you feel better soon Maggie.

Thank you Mimi, very kind of you.  I'm more or less back to normal now, save for my mangled thumb.   :-
\

A couple of recipes below.  I thought you could adapt the "Fish Sausages" one for James, Helly.  I'd suggest you cook the sausages, and then batch them up into mini-meals and freeze them.  Then heat them in the oven straight from frozen, otherwise you'll be standing over the cooker, which defeats the object of the exercise, and serve them with good old Heinz beanz (well they serve Heinz in the Savoy)  ;D  Swerve the parsley unless you've got some in - there's only a touch of it anyway.   :wave

Marbled Black Forest Alaska

3 egg whites (individually freeze the yolks for another recipe)
Pinch of salt
175g/6oz sugar
1 round chocolate sponge cake
425g/15oz can black cherries in syrup
500ml/18 fl oz chocolate ice cream
50g/1 ¾ oz dark chocolate

If the chocolate sponge is more than 1 inch tall, cut it to size horizontally (put the leftover sponge in a bag and freeze it for future use as, say a trifle base).  Put a double layer of foil on a plate, and put the cut sponge on the foil.  Drain the cherries and spoon into the middle of the sponge.  Scoop the ice cream on top, leaving a 2 inch margin around the sides of the sponge.  Put the topped sponge in the freezer.

Whisk the egg whites with the salt until they are stiff.  Add the sugar a tablespoonful at a time, whisking well after each addition, until all the sugar is used up and the meringue mixture is stiff and glossy.  Set aside.

Break the chocolate into small pieces, and place it in a bowl over a pan of barely simmering water.  Do not allow the base of the bowl to touch the water.  Simmer until the chocolate is melted.

Heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. 

Remove the sponge from the freezer, lift it off the plate and place it on a baking tray, still sitting on the foil. 

Drizzle a little of the melted chocolate into the meringue mixture, and scoop out a large spoonful of the drizzled part and pile it onto the sponge.  Keep drizzling and piling spoonfuls of the mixture onto the sponge until it is all used up, taking it right to the edges of the sponge, and making sure that all the ice cream is completely covered.  Flick up the top into peaks and swirls.

Bake the Alaska for ten minutes or until the peaks and swirls are starting to turn brown, ease it off the foil onto a serving plate, and then serve immediately.

Fish Sausages

Serves 4

375g/13oz white fish fillets
1 white bread roll (or sliced bread equivalent)
75ml/5tbsp milk
25ml/1 ½ tbsp chopped parsley
2 eggs, well beaten, but kept separate
50g/2oz plain flour
50g/20z white breadcrumbs
Oil for shallow frying
Deep fried parsley sprigs and lemon wedges for garnish if wished.

Process the fish coarsely in a food processor.  Soak the roll or bread in the milk for about 10 minutes, then squeeze it out.  Mix the fish and bread together and then add the chopped parsley, one of the beaten eggs and plenty of seasoning.

Using your fingers, shape the fish mixture into 10cm/4in long “sausages”, making them about 2.5cm/1inch thick.

Roll the fish sausages in the flour, then in the remaining egg, and finally in the breadcrumbs.  Then just slowly cook the sausages until they are golden brown all over - it is best to work in batches to do this.  Garnish if desired.

And I've just remembered I haven't posted the recipe for clear oxtail soup - I'll post that later today or tomorrow without fail - sorry. 

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: January 22, 2008, 04:40:12 pm »
The clear oxtail soup recipe as promised.  Because it is such a swine to do, I usually make three or four times the receipe and freeze it.  Also a new one I tried yesterday for parsnip soup, which Mr May said was very nice.   ;D

Clear Oxtail Soup

2 to 3 pounds oxtails
1 large onion, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
4 pints beef stock (plus more if necessary - see below)
4 ripe tomatoes, chopped

Sachet d’epice

1 clove garlic, mashed
1 bay leaf, crumbled
½ teaspoon dried thyme
6 black peppercorns
2 cloves
3 parsley sprigs

Mirepoix

8oz carrots, very finely diced
8oz celery, very finely diced
8oz turnips, very finely diced

Clarification

2 egg whites (freeze the yolks separately for another recipe)
The egg shells, crumbled
4 fl oz water
Pinch salt
Generous dash of vinegar

Additions if desired

1 fl oz sherry
2 or 3 dashes of Worcestershire sauce

Preheat oven to 425F/200C/Fan 180/Gas 7.

Place the oxtails in a large oven tray and bake them until they are browned - about 20 minutes.  Then scatter the vegetables between them and roast until they are slightly cooked and tender, about 30 minutes.

Pour the contents into a large pot.  Heat about one pint of the beef stock until boiling, and deglaze the roasting tray with it, scraping off all the bits into the pot.  Pour the rest of the stock into the pot.  Add all the tomatoes and the sachet d’epice.  Bring almost to the boil and then cover the pan, reduce the heat to very low and simmer, just a few bubbles rising to the surface, nothing violent, for four hours.  Salt lightly if desired.  The soup will already be seasoned somewhat by the peppercorns, but some pepper may be added, according to your taste.  If there is much evaporation of the liquid during the long cooking, replace it with an equal quantity of beef stock.

At the end of the cooking process, remove the oxtails and allow them to cool somewhat.  Pour the stock through a sieve.  Discard the vegetables and sachet.  Allow the stock to cool completely, and then store it in the fridge overnight.  When the oxtails have cooled sufficiently to handle, pick the meat off the bones and chop it finely.  Discard the meat and the fat from the oxtails.

The following day, skim all the solidified fat from the top of the stock.  Either discard it or freeze it for roasting potatoes.

Heat about a pint of the stock and cook the diced mirepoix until they are tender.  Drain and refresh.  Set aside. 

Pour all the stock into a large pan.  Add the sherry and Worcestershire sauce if desired.

Beat the egg whites and water together.  Adding a pinch of salt and the vinegar, and beating until the mixture is frothy.  Heat the stock until it is good and hot, but not near boiling.  Pour the egg and water mixture into the hot stock, and throw in the crumbled eggshells.  Whisk the stock rapidly and bring it to the boil.  A crust will form on the top.

Remove the pan from the heat, push the crush gently aside and ladle the stock into a sieve lined with a damp, clean J cloth.  (The traditional method is through dampened cheesecloth or muslin, but I find a J cloth works much better).  Particles will cling to the J cloth, so keep rinsing it as you go.

Divide the cooked mirepoix and diced oxtail meat between bowls or containers, and pour the clarified, sparkling soup over.

Creamy Parsnip Soup

Serves 4

50g butter
1 onion, finely diced
5 large parsnips, diced
1tbsp clear honey
2 bay leaves - whole
500ml chicken stock
500g natural yoghurt
Paprika, to serve

Melt the butter in a pan.  Add the onions and cook until transparent, but not browned.  Add the parsnips, and season to taste.  Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.

Add the chicken stock, the honey and the bay leaves.  Bring to the boil.  Then reduce the heat and simmer until the parsnips are soft - about 25/30 minutes.

Fish out and discard the bay leaves.  Place the soup mixture and yoghurt in a blender and blitz until smooth.  Return the soup to the pan and reheat.  Sprinkle with Paprika if desired and serve.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #137 on: January 22, 2008, 05:58:04 pm »

OK. I mentioned this recipe in the curry thread, so I thought I would post it here. My mate’s mum is from India and she told me this recipe.

Tandoori Monkfish

Buy two monkfish steaks (or however many you want, this is a recipe measured by the hand)

Wash and chop the monkfish into chicken tikka sized chunks

Prepare marinade:

* Plain yoghurt

* Two or three teaspoons of garam masala or curry powder

* Generous amount of tandoori paste

* Couple of teaspoons of paprika

* Two red chillis split in half to let the heat come out

* Pinch of salt

* One crushed clove of garlic

* One crushed clove sized piece of fresh ginger

* Fresh lemon juice squeezed from a lemon

Prick the monkfish pieces with a fork, then get your hands dirty and massage the marinade into the monkfish pieces in a bowl to really infuse it.

Marinade in the fridge overnight or if this isn’t possible, for at least three hours.

Heat the oven to roasting temperature. Tin foil in the tray. Cut a few yellow and red peppers in half and place them in the baking tray, remove the monkfish from the marinade and arrange in the tray, drizzle a little bit of olive oil over it, and stick it in the oven. Should take about 30 minutes maximum but check to your taste. The trick is to have the monkfish cooked but still tender and juicy.

Make some mint sauce by just adding mint and a pinch of garam masala to some plain yoghurt.

Serve the monkfish tikkas hot with fresh juice squeezed from a lime, and with a red onion salad and some lightly roasted thinly sliced potatoes. Tastes nice with a dash of Chinese or Thai sweet chilli sauce from a bottle too.

One last thing. This is perfect food to snack on or eat with ice cold bottles of beer. Make sure the beer’s as cold as an arctic night and it goes so well with the zing and spice of the monkfish. If you’ve never had fish cooked Indian style before trust me, you’ll love it.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: January 22, 2008, 06:23:49 pm »

Fish Sausages

Serves 4

375g/13oz white fish fillets
1 white bread roll (or sliced bread equivalent)
75ml/5tbsp milk
25ml/1 ½ tbsp chopped parsley
2 eggs, well beaten, but kept separate
50g/2oz plain flour
50g/20z white breadcrumbs
Oil for shallow frying
Deep fried parsley sprigs and lemon wedges for garnish if wished.

Wow. This is getting cooked at my house for sure.

Thanks Maggie  :wave

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 22, 2008, 06:27:58 pm »

Wow. This is getting cooked at my house for sure.

Thanks Maggie  :wave

My pleasure mate.  And thank you for the Tandoori Monkfish recipe.  A great addition to the thread.   :wave

Offline Scottish-Don

• Maggie May, Kez, Kopbird, LFCMunkee and gerrardspetal in any order
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'Cause he's a dedicated follower of fashion
« Reply #140 on: January 22, 2008, 09:08:13 pm »
Maggie,

I hope your digging out a nice Haggis dish for this Friday  :lickin
Follow me on Twitter - @achtung_davie

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: January 22, 2008, 10:16:56 pm »
Maggie,

I hope your digging out a nice Haggis dish for this Friday  :lickin

Nae problem lovely lad.   :-*  We always celebrate Burns Night.  Now I've posted the oxtail soup recipe I promised, I'll post lots of lovely Scottish recipes I've collected.   :-* :wave

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: January 22, 2008, 10:27:46 pm »
My beef wellington went well and I reckon she was made up

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: January 22, 2008, 10:46:45 pm »
My beef wellington went well and I reckon she was made up

Delighted for you.  Please post your recipe here so we can all be delighted too.   ;D

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: January 22, 2008, 10:51:19 pm »
Beef Wellington

You will need
600-800 g beef fillet, trimmed of fat
300-400 g puff pastry
75 g butter
4 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 beaten egg
50 g plain flour
250 g finely chopped button mushrooms
1 small onion
1 clove of garlic, diced
1 tsp sage and thyme
25 g breadcrumbs
1 large chicken breast, minced
salt and pepper
1 frying pan
1 heavy skillet
1 baking tray
1 pastry brush
1 spatula
1 spoon

Step 1: Trim and season fillet
Trim the fillet of excess fat and cut it to size, then season with salt and pepper.

Step 2: Sear the meat
Brown it well on all sides for about 5 minutes in the skillet with oil and butter. When it is done, put it aside to cool down while you prepare the stuffing.

Step 3: Add the mushrooms and garlic
Cook the finely chopped mushrooms until soft but not completely done. Add the onions and garlic and cook for about another five minutes or until done. Finally, sprinkle the herbs over and stir in well. Transfer the mixture to a bowl or tray to cool.

TIP
Keep the pastry in the fridge until you need it and make sure the mushrooms and onions are quite cool before you spread them.

Step 4: Prepare the pastry
Sprinkle some flour on a clean, dry surface on which to place the pastry.

Step 5: Finish stuffing mix
Combine the minced chicken with the mushrooms, onions and herbs, (in a blender, preferably), and then spread the mixture evenly on the pastry leaving a 10cm border of pastry clear.

Step 6: Wrap fillet in pastry
Place the fillet on the pastry ready for wrapping – put it in the centre and wrap over the dough to make a neat parcel trimming off any excess.

TIP
Carefully remove the grease from the fillet with a cloth before placing it on the pastry.

Step 7: Prepare to bake
Place the wrapped fillet, with the join in the pastry underneath, in a buttered baking tray and brush the beaten egg onto the pastry to give it a nice golden glaze when baked.
It is now ready to bake, but first; leave it in the fridge for half an hour to rest and cool completely.

Step 8: Bake the dish
After half an hour place the baking tray in the centre of an oven pre-heated to 250ºC and bake it for 35 minutes.

TIP
Cooking an extra 5 minutes more will make the beef medium and 5 minutes less will leave the beef rare.

Step 9: Carve and serve
This recipe will cook the meat to medium rare. Let it rest for 10 minutes after you take it out of the oven before you cut it. Carve the Beef Wellington into slices 10cms thick and serve 2 slices per person.

Shamelessly stolen from a site but its there for anyone who fancies some

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2008, 11:46:41 am »
Some recipes for your Scottish feast, my lovely Don.   :wave

Lemon Pudding

Serves 6-8

1 x 14oz packet puff pastry
3 eggs
3 egg yolks (freeze the whites individually for another recipe)
6oz melted butter
8oz caster sugar
2 lemons

Line a 10 inch, deep pie plate with the pastry and decorate the edge with (say) leaves made from the scraps.  Heat the oven to 425F/220C/Gas 7.  Place a piece of baking parchment over the pastry and pour in some dried peas, lentils or similar (you can’t use these again for cooking, so store them in a jar and keep them for this future use).  Bake the case for 20-25 minutes, removing the parchment and dried peas for the last 10 minutes.

Lower the heat of the oven to 350F/180C/Gas 4.  Beat the eggs, egg yolks and sugar together.  Mix in the melted butter with the rind of one lemon and the juice of both.  Pour into the pastry case and bake the pudding for about 30 to 40 minutes until it is golden brown (the filling will still be quite soft at this stage).  Leave to cool and set.  Serve cold with whipped cream.

Gooseberry Batter Pudding

Serves 6

¾ pint milk
3 eggs
2oz plain flour
¼ level teaspoon ground nutmeg
4oz caster sugar
¾ lb ripe gooseberries
Sifted icing sugar

Liberally butter a 2 pint shallow ovenproof dish.  Wash and pat dry the gooseberries, top and tail them and put them in the dish.  Preheat the oven to 400F/200C/Gas 6.  Heat the milk until almost boiling.  Put the eggs, sugar, nutmeg and flour into a blender and blitz.  When the mixture is smooth, gradually add the hot milk through the feeder tube until it is all used up and you have a smooth batter.

Pour the batter over the gooseberries and bake the pudding for 45 minutes.  Check the pudding after 30 minutes, and if the surface is getting too brown, cover it with baking parchment for the remainder of the time.  Immediately the pudding is cooked, sprinkle the surface thickly with sifted icing sugar and serve with single cream.

Fochabers Gingerbread

8oz plain flour
2oz lard
2oz margarine
2oz caster sugar
2oz mixed peel
2oz sultanas
2oz currants
2oz ground almonds
1 level teaspoon mixed spice
2 level teaspoons ground ginger
1 level teaspoon ground cinnamon
4oz black treacle, melted
1 egg, beaten
¼ brown ale
1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

Grease a 7 ½ inch cake tin with butter, and line the base with baking parchment.

Preheat the oven to 300F/150C/Gas 2.  Cream the margarine and lard together, then add the sugar and beat the mixture until it is soft and fluffy.  Add the melted treacle and gradually beat in the beaten egg.  Sift the flour together with the mixed spice, ground ginger and cinnamon, and fold them into the mixture with the mixed peel, sultanas, currants and ground almonds.  Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the ale and stir it into the mixture, then turn the mixture into the prepared tin, spread it to the sides and hollow out the centre slightly.  Bake the gingerbread for about 1 ½ hours.  Cool the gingerbread in the tin for 15 minutes, then turn it onto a wire tray to cool fully.

Lorraine Soup

Serves 4-6

Lorraine soup is said to be named after Mary of Guise-Lorraine, the wife of James V and mother of Mary Stuart, who set the fashion for French cooking in Scotland.

½ lb minced cooked chicken
2oz blanched almonds
2 cooked egg yolks, sieved
2 pints chicken stock
1tbs fresh white breadcrumbs
A pinch of nutmeg
The pared rind of half a lemon
¼ pint single cream

Place the minced chicken and almonds into a blender and briefly blitz.  Add sufficient  of the chicken stock through the feeder tube to blend the mixture to a smooth paste.

Turn the paste into a pan with the rest of the stock, the sieved egg yolks, breadcrumbs, nutmeg and the lemon rind.  Bring the soup to the boil, then just before serving, remove the lemon rind and stir in the cream.  Check for seasoning and serve.

Partan Bree

Serves 4-6

1 boiled crab
2oz long grain rice
1 pint milk
1 pint chicken stock
A few drops of anchovy essence
¼ pint single cream

Remove all the meat from the crab, taking care to also remove the nasties (dead men’s fingers).  Keep on one side the pieces taken from the large claws.

Cook the rice in the milk until it is soft, then stir in the main part of the crab meat and puree the mixture in a blender.  Pour the puree into a pan, and gradually add the stock, stirring continually.  Stir the soup until it boils, add the anchovy essence and season to taste if desired (take care as anchovies are quite salty anyway).  Add the meat from the large claws.  Reduce the heat and simmer until the crab meat is thoroughly heated through.  Gradually stir in the cream, but on no account must you let the soup boil, as the cream will curdle.  Serve with Melba toast.

For ease of reference here is the recipe for quick Melba toast.  It won’t be added to my tally please, as I’ve already posted it here.

Melba Toast

One small white sliced loaf

Preheat oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2/Fan 135C.

Cut the crusts off the slices.  Give crusts to the birdies.

Roll the slices one at a time with a rolling pin to flatten them.  Either leave the slices whole or cut them in half, as you please.  Place the slices on baking trays and bake for about 30 minutes or until pale golden and curling at the edges.

Cool the slices on a wire rack.  Store the cooled slices in an airtight container or tin.

Lobster Lady Tweedsmuir

Serves 4-6

This recipe is from the collection of the late Mrs Gena Mackinnon, the mother of the current Chairman of the Drambuie Liqueur Company

2lb cooked lobster, shells retained for serving
3oz butter
1oz plain flour
½ pint milk
¼ pint cream
2 egg yolks, beaten (freeze the whites individually for another recipe)
1 level teaspoon chopped parsley
1 glass Drambuie

For the decoration

12 button mushrooms, dry wiped
2oz butter
Lemon wedges
Half a cucumber, thinly sliced

Cut the lobster meat into pieces, and leave the lobster shells in a warm place while preparing the filling. 

Melt 1oz of the butter, stir in the flour and gradually blend in the milk.  Pour into a pan.  Over a medium heat, stirring constantly, bring the sauce to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.  Mix the egg yolks and cream together, and pour in a little of the hot sauce, and then when it is well blended in, pour this back into the rest of the sauce, stirring all the time, and heat it through.  Do not allow the sauce to boil or it will curdle. 

Melt the remaining 2oz butter in a pan, add the chopped lobster and toss it in the butter to coat it thoroughly.  Then stir in the Drambuie, the sauce and the chopped parsley.  Check the mixture for seasoning and turn it into the lobster shells.

Fry the mushrooms in the butter, then arrange them around the filled shells with slices of the cucumber and the lemon wedges. 

Trout Drambuie

Serves 4

4 rainbow trout, cleaned but with the heads left on
2oz soft butter
1 level teaspoon dried oregano
¼ pint natural yoghurt
¼ pint double cream
1tbs Drambuie

Wash and thoroughly dry the trout.  Spread an overproof dish with half the butter.  Put the fish in the dish and spread with the rest of the butter.  Sprinkle over the oregano. 

Mix the yoghurt, cream and Drambuie together, then season the mixture and pour it over the trout.  Bake the fish, uncovered, at 350F/180C/ Gas 4 for 20 minutes.  Garnish with lemon twists to serve.

Poached Prawns, Isle of May

Serves 6-8

This recipe comes from the Crusoe Hotel in Lower Largo, in Fife, the birthplace of Alexander Selkirk, whose experiences were the inspiration of Daniel Defoe’s Robinson Crusoe.

2lb uncooked peeled prawns
4oz mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, finely chopped
½ pint dry white wine
2oz butter
2oz plain flour
1 wineglass glass dry sherry
¼ pint double cream
2lb potatoes, boiled and mashed
Scallop shells, for serving

Place the prawns, mushrooms, onion and white wine in a saucepan, cover and poach for about 10 to 15 minutes.  Strain, reserving the liquor.

In another saucepan, melt the butter, stir in the flour and cook gently for a few minutes, without browning.  Add the fish liquor and the sherry, correcting the consistency with milk if it is too thick.  Add the prawns, mushrooms and onion.  Check the seasoning and lightly stir in the double cream.  Reheat and serve in scallop shells, surrounded by a border of piped mashed potato.

Prawns Eilean a’Cheo

Serves 1 as a main course or 2 as a starter

1oz butter
6oz peeled raw prawns
2oz onion, finely chopped
2oz white mushrooms, sliced
¼ red pepper, finely chopped
1 large measure Drambuie
2 fl oz double cream
2oz long grain rice
Lemon wedges and parsley sprigs, to serve and decorate
A few cooked prawns to garnish

Boil the rice in plenty of salted water until cooked.  Drain and keep warm.  Meanwhile, melt the butter and fry the prawns, onions and peppers.  When the onions are almost cooked, add the mushrooms and Drambuie.  Season to taste and add the cream.  Serve on a bed of the rice, topped with the prawns reserved for garnish, the lemon wedges and the parsley sprigs.

Scottish Cheddar Cheese Soup

Serves 6

This is a recipe from Toravaig House Hotel, Skye. 

2 onions, thinly sliced
2oz butter
2oz flour
1 pint milk
Pinch of pepper
6oz Scottish Cheddar cheese, grated

Melt the butter in a saucepan and cook the onions for a few minutes until they are soft but not browned.  Add the flour and cook for another two minutes.  Stir in the milk, bring to the boil, season to taste and then simmer gently for about 5 minutes.  Gradually stir in the grated cheese and simmer the soup until the cheese is melted.  Do not allow to boil.  Serve immediately.

Crabbie Claw

Serves 4

Another recipe from the Toravaig House Hotel in Skye.

1 ½ lb cod fillets
2 teaspoons horseradish (grated if you can get it, otherwise use horseradish sauce)
Sprig of parsley
2lb potatoes, boiled and mashed
1 hard boiled egg, roughly chopped
Paprika
1tbs chopped parsley

For the sauce

1 ½ oz plain flour
1 ½ oz butter
¾ pint fish liquor (see recipe)
¼ pint milk

Place the cod fillets in a pan with the horseradish, the sprig of parsley and a sprinkling of salt.  Cover with 1 ½ pints water, bring to the boil and simmer until the fish is cooked.  Drain, reserving ¾ pint of the liquid for the sauce.  Pipe a border of mashed potato around a large serving plate and arrange the fish in the centre.  Keep warm while making the sauce. 

Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and cook for a few minutes without browning.  Add the fish liquor and the milk, bring to the boil and cook to thicken.  If the mixture becomes too thick for your liking, add more milk to slacken it.  Stir in the hard boiled egg, season to taste and pour over the fish.  Garnish with parsley and sprinkle with paprika. 

Helly

« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2008, 12:19:32 pm »
Maggie, fish sausages is perfect :thumbup, will be served with reduced salt and sugar beans ;D

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2008, 01:22:16 pm »
Maggie, fish sausages is perfect :thumbup, will be served with reduced salt and sugar beans ;D

Delighted to hear it.  I take it the good old Hinze beanz is too common for your little prince then?   ;) ;D

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2008, 01:55:21 pm »

I'm waiting to make those as well. I'm thinking of having mine with mashed potatoes though. Except these mashed potatoes will have chives and black pepper mixed in with them  :lickin

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #149 on: January 23, 2008, 02:00:02 pm »

Did make Sweet Potatoe and Red Pepper on Sunday :thumbup

Tis nice.   Throw in a bit of pumpkin when there in season and voila!        :wave

May I also take this time to say that my dahl making skill shave improved vastly. A few months ago I helped  prepare a dahl for a funeral in the local Sikh temple and those big Indian Mamas showed me a secret or two.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 02:02:28 pm by kesey »
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Conde

• scendingly banned for being an arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #150 on: January 23, 2008, 02:04:40 pm »
Maggie, got any recipes to use up a few spair rats I have lying around?

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: January 23, 2008, 02:05:05 pm »
Tis nice.   Throw in a bit of pumpkin when there in season and voila!        :wave

May I also take this time to say that my dahl making skill shave improved vastly. A few months ago I helped  prepare a dahl for a funeral in the local Sikh temple and those big Indian Mamas showed me a secret or two.

Post a recipe up then mate, if you would.  I know nothing about dahl and it would be interesting to find out what it comprises. 

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: January 23, 2008, 02:09:54 pm »

You could do it sautee or fricasee....

Cracking thread this Maggie, thanks. Will have to give some of them a try when I get some time.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #153 on: January 23, 2008, 02:12:25 pm »

Rat Pie of Merrie Olde England

Ingredients:

Rats
Shortcrust pastry*
Oysters*
Stout*
Organic hand-reared shallots*
1 free-range ostrich egg*
Thigh-rubbed Iranian black pepper*
(*Optional)

Method: Take rats, oysters, chopped shallots and season well with black pepper. Marinate overnight in stout, then gently wrap in shortcrust pastry envelope. Glaze pastry with yolk of ostrich egg and bake for 90 minutes at gas mark 4. Serves an entire reception centre for three weeks.

Young, tender rats are the best. Older examples may require extra time in the marinade. Be sure to clean the urinary tract fully to prevent contracting Weil's disease. Wash down with a cheeky Romanian Merlot. Delicious.
Legacy fan

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: January 23, 2008, 02:18:25 pm »
Gits.   ;) ;D

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: January 23, 2008, 02:25:45 pm »

Post a recipe up then mate, if you would.  I know nothing about dahl and it would be interesting to find out what it comprises. 

Okies.         :wave

Soak the red lentils in hot water for about 2 hours ( this makes them softer ).

Finely chop garlic, onion, one red chile ( fuck forgotten how to spell chilly, chile or chilee  ;D ) and ginger. Throw in in garlic and ginger leave for about 5 mins ( on low light ). Add the onions and leave for further 5 mins. Add some chopped tomatoes then a bit of turmeric. Leave for about 20 mins on a low light ( cover ) but make sure there is some tomato juice as it may stick. Drain and throw in the red lentils and stir in.  Cover for 5 mins then add a cup full of water. Leave on simmer til cooked ( until lentils are soft and mushy ) . Then add a pinch of salt and chopped corriander .

Voila!     

You can vary by adding a bit of coconut milk and chopped spinach. Have it with brown rice as this meal completes all the amino acid your body needs.

The most important bit. 

A peaceful and calm reflective attitude must be kept whilst cooking. When meal is completed leave it for about 20 mins in pan. Now yo umust close your eyes , open your heart chakra then meditate using the word love as your mantra holding your palms about 6 inches above the pan.  Just before serving at table offer the food to any God of your choice.

The last paragrapgh is optional Maggie but food made with a loving intent can also heal.   

Hari Bol Bom Bola !      :wave

It should look like this. Food like this gives the digestive system a break which it needs from time to time.   

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: January 23, 2008, 02:53:38 pm »
FAO :   Valore.    Nice one for the reminder Valore mate as its been ages since I made it. I have people round on Saturday night for Kirtan so Ill be making a big pan.   

Chai, chai , chai     :wave

Ingredients :  Green cardamon, cloves, star anise , cinnamon, ginger, black tea or roobosch , sugar or honey and milk or soya.  ( depends if there are any vegans in the house ). I sometimes put a tiny , tiny bit of black pepper cloves in or sometimes some fennel seeds.

Boil the spices slowly,then add the tea, add the milk then a shit load of sugar or honey. Then leave for a bit and Just before serving offer the chai to any God of your choice.    ;D

Have been making it for 3 years now but nowt like the chai sellers in Mother India.  I always remember my first chai just outside of Pune . Ill never forget my first Indian sunrise chai in one hand a beedie in the other.    ;D

« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 02:55:26 pm by kesey »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: January 23, 2008, 03:01:57 pm »

Dhal is best eaten with rice and if you feel like it, a simple vegetable curry with salad. It's a staple Indian meal, plate of rice with lashings of dhal. Delicious.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: January 23, 2008, 03:05:39 pm »

Dhal is best eaten with rice and if you feel like it, a simple vegetable curry with salad. It's a staple Indian meal, plate of rice with lashings of dhal. Delicious.

Amino Acids and all that.       :wave

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Valore

• Why Don't You Come On Over
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Help Rafa, help us. Help Rafa... Help Us...
« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2008, 03:09:27 pm »

Make tons of money sending pulses into India. Demand there is so great it often outstrips supply, and even in years where there's a good harvest, they still import the stuff. I've never had the taste for it though, always seemed kind of bland, even in Dhal. And I'm by no means a food junkie, I usually have steamed fish, brocolli and tofu with something on it for dinner. Been a bit hard with Maggie's recipes though ;D I'll try it with a bit more garlic and chilli.

With the Chai, we serve it as an alternative to soy lattes which people seem to drink a lot around here. Definitely tastes better in my opinion. Either with honey or chocolate, gives the whole thing a nice flavour.
They beat better teams on the way, won in circumstances when other teams would have surrendered, were given the last rites and pronounced dead at the scene, before grabbing the attendant by the throat on the slab in the morgue, making everyone jump.

- Martin Samuel, after we beat Arsenal 4-2 in the second leg of the CL QF 2007-200