Author Topic: Welcome to Liverpool Thiago Alcantara  (Read 796956 times)

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
Re: Welcome to Liverpool Thiago Alcantara
« Reply #3200 on: April 17, 2021, 06:11:30 am »
You're starting to sound like other posters when you mention context ie. what we thought the team would be when Thiago was bought didn't happen so now it's understandable that Thiago isn't playing.
No that's mischaracterising my points; for me it's always understandable for any player not to be playing in some games, regardless of context or who they are or how much they cost; I don't see it as a 'red flag' at all, for the reasons I've stated: selection is a complex calculation and, perhaps counterintuitively, rotation becomes more likely when you accumulate more better players - i.e rotation is best when you have the players to rotate with. We've got used to Klopp playing a very settled side because he has not had enough quality to rotate - and even then the midfield was the one area he did rotate, and is still rotating now. No red flags.

The thing about the current context not being known when the player was bought, and the fee paid, was in direct response to your post, because it's true that whatever our reasonings were at the start of the season, the basis will have been thrown out of kilter by what has happened this season.

Is that what you mean?  If you're buying someone that is supposed to improve your starting XI but injuries make that impossible then it calls into question all of the presumptions that were made to make the decision. 
No it's not really what I mean because unlike you I don't see Tiago not being selected for some games as an issue, a negative, a red flag or anything to be even slightly concerned about. So there's nothing to call into question. 

Injuries and loss of form happen all the time.
Just purely on this point alone, and not because it's required for my points, but I feel I have to say: come on! This season's occurances are not in any way, shape or form something you could use the words 'happen all the time' about. Surely you can see that?

I could grant you that there's an argument to be made that generally most seasons are much of a muchness, and the various privations of any given season are probably matched by different privations in any other season, so it all sort of evens out. BUT...now and then a season comes along that is just ludicrously off the charts and unprecedented and so is just not comparable.  And even among those rare events this season is extra, extra nuts. Proper sui generis stuff.

If a player is only able to improve a starting XI under "ideal" conditions then how often is the "ideal" ever going to happen during their career at LFC?
This is not something that I am saying, and I don't think anyone else is either. Al's point about the cherry and the cake was not talking about ideal conditions; it was talking about a significant and forced role change due to the conditions being about as un-ideal as they can be. From Thiago's point of view, as a newly arrived player, it's literally the opposite of hitting the jackpot.

Especially when you consider the age profile and contract situation of the team, it's only a year or so away from a massive amount of changes regardless.  Wouldn't that context then be null and void for a player that has another 1 or 2 years on their contract after everybody else?
Not quite sure what you mean here. Context is a living thing, ever-unrolling before you. You can't fully legislate for it and you always have to deal with it in arrears, so to speak.

In a lot of ways I'm just playing devils advocate here since neither Klopp or Edwards will ever come out and say the truth.  But also I think people need to realize that Thiago just is what he is at this point and it's probably not going to get better if you're already disappointed aside from the team just winning more as B0151? is noting.
Maybe, but that's something we will have to wait and see about. With respect, no one is going to 'realize' it just because you say so. And it's not necessarily about Thiago getting better; he could just continue to do exactly what he's doing but when the team around him starts operating at it's proper, 'normal' level, then his contributions, and the reasons he was brought-in, may start making proper sense.

But again, this is purely academic for me because I don't accept the contention that there is any red flag being waved here.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #3201 on: April 17, 2021, 08:44:30 am »
I have very disappointed with him to be honest .then fab comes back in midfield he looks better.then klopp drop's him in the big euro games ..don't get it to be honest?

Especially as if he's struggled in some Prem games he's tailor made for the CL. He'd showed that against Leipzig. Picking Keita instead at Real whose barely kicked a ball all year.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3202 on: April 17, 2021, 08:47:53 am »
Its not what it was but we know what he can do defensively in Klopp team. Whats your point?

Wijnaldum's defensive contribution was non-existent in that first leg, yet it was Thiago that was dropped and Keita that was hauled off before half time.

If Wijnaldum was playing well at all it'd make more sense. Nobody can accuse Thiago of not getting involved or putting a shift in.

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3203 on: April 17, 2021, 09:56:36 am »
Wijnaldum's defensive contribution was non-existent in that first leg, yet it was Thiago that was dropped and Keita that was hauled off before half time.

If Wijnaldum was playing well at all it'd make more sense. Nobody can accuse Thiago of not getting involved or putting a shift in.

Dont disagree with any of that. Gini has probably retained because of greater familiarity with what Klopp wants. I thinks its clear Thiago puts a shift in (perhaps the Leicester away game perhaps aside), the effort isn't an issue its ineffectiveness of that effort that's concerning particularly from a defensive point of view

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3204 on: April 17, 2021, 10:30:09 am »
Dont disagree with any of that. Gini has probably retained because of greater familiarity with what Klopp wants. I thinks its clear Thiago puts a shift in (perhaps the Leicester away game perhaps aside), the effort isn't an issue its ineffectiveness of that effort that's concerning particularly from a defensive point of view

The issue with Thiago's defensive contribution has mainly been being left in a midfield without Fabinho or Henderson and with Gini not really offering much. Our defensive solidity in midfield comes from Fabinho and Henderson, it's certainly not what we signed Thiago for.

We're not talking someone who is good on the ball but hopeless off it. He does good work off the ball, but he's not a defensive midfielder. If you threw Alonso into what was left of our midfield in Jan-Feb he'd have been lost (as he often was in his first season without Hamann next to him).

Online bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3205 on: April 17, 2021, 12:01:00 pm »
When do deep lying playmakers ever do this...

I thought someone would respond with this. Obviously he isn’t going to run past 3 players and place it top bins.

When do deep lying playmakers ever raise the collective level? All the time. Maybe by being a reliable outlet in midfield and keeping the ball. Scholes? Alonso? Modric? Those were the comparisons being made. He comes on against Madrid away and struggles to find a red shirt. He looks more Joe Allen than Xabi Alonso.

It's only a "red flag" for people who spend all their time looking for alleged "red flags" so they can be harp on about them. For everyone else the manager has to make selections; his choices are dictated by all sorts of things that are particular to that very game on that very day against that very opposition in that very context.

Sometimes a good, or even great, player has to sit it out because another player (maybe one not as good) has something that is needed in that game. I'm not saying that was, or was not, the case in this instance but I am saying there's more to a manager's decisions then the black/white simplistics that some of you seem to thrive on.

In the fullness of time we'll see how fitting a player he is for this club...or whether he's not. A bit of patience, particularly in these extraordinary times, is not only called for, but essential.

You don’t have to look very hard at all in this instance. He was signed to be an integral figure (possibly the highest paid player at the club) and he’s frankly not at all.

What further context is required? He’s been fit for 4 months now. He made the world XI last year. He’s 30. This is a performance business - you can’t go missing with that reputation and not expect scrutiny. Sometimes a fish needs to be called a fish, or you end up like Arsenal and Ozil - defending a player to the hilt based on past reputation and the odd glimmer of excellence.

Clearly we all hope we’re not having the same conversation this time next season and he can turn it around... but until then we can only judge what we see before us. That’s not ‘black or white simplistics’ but simply an honest appraisal. His impact has been negligible thus far.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 12:04:42 pm by bornandbRED »

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3206 on: April 17, 2021, 12:23:59 pm »
He comes on against Madrid away and struggles to find a red shirt. He looks more Joe Allen than Xabi Alonso.

54 passes, 50 completed, 8 long passes, 6 completed. One of the highest pass completions on the pitch and one of his highest of the season. Yeahhhh, no.

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3207 on: April 17, 2021, 12:32:04 pm »
54 passes, 50 completed, 8 long passes, 6 completed. One of the highest pass completions on the pitch and one of his highest of the season. Yeahhhh, no.

Can pass all day but where are the goals or assists? Zero in 23 (?) tells a story hat is difficult to sweep under the carpet.

Online bornandbRED

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3208 on: April 17, 2021, 12:33:52 pm »

If you go back and re-watch he came on and gave it away 3 times by the end of the first half. Brought on to provide control - did anything but.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3209 on: April 17, 2021, 12:38:39 pm »
If you go back and re-watch he came on and gave it away 3 times by the end of the first half. Brought on to provide control - did anything but.

;D So his second half was stunningly accurate then in that case? Good to see you admit your post was just nonsense

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3210 on: April 17, 2021, 12:59:07 pm »
I thought someone would respond with this. Obviously he isn’t going to run past 3 players and place it top bins.

When do deep lying playmakers ever raise the collective level? All the time. Maybe by being a reliable outlet in midfield and keeping the ball. Scholes? Alonso? Modric? Those were the comparisons being made. He comes on against Madrid away and struggles to find a red shirt. He looks more Joe Allen than Xabi Alonso.

You don’t have to look very hard at all in this instance. He was signed to be an integral figure (possibly the highest paid player at the club) and he’s frankly not at all.

What further context is required? He’s been fit for 4 months now. He made the world XI last year. He’s 30. This is a performance business - you can’t go missing with that reputation and not expect scrutiny. Sometimes a fish needs to be called a fish, or you end up like Arsenal and Ozil - defending a player to the hilt based on past reputation and the odd glimmer of excellence.

Clearly we all hope we’re not having the same conversation this time next season and he can turn it around... but until then we can only judge what we see before us. That’s not ‘black or white simplistics’ but simply an honest appraisal. His impact has been negligible thus far.

Didi Hamann made the point that Thiago was not the player that we needed and he was widely laughed at.
A playmaker such as Thiago needs players to make rooms and create space in order to pass to them. This is usually done by making runs down channels and especially in behind.
Klopp's teams are not set up to make runs in behind. They never have been.
So to be fair to Thiago, he has no one to pass to unless he passes it sideways. So he passes it sideways for five minutes, never gives the ball away and then passes it to TAA who crosses it from 40 yards out.
Rinse and repeat, time after time, game after game.
At this rate, he will still have no goals and no assists come the end of the season. And it won't be a surprise.
As Hamann touched upon, it is perhaps wrong to blame Thiago, when the finger of blame should really be pointed to the system we play which really does not suit his style of play.
The question is, do we change our style of play, or do we hope that a 30 year old player can change his own game to adapt?

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #3211 on: April 17, 2021, 01:08:00 pm »
The discussion in this thread seems to be based on the idea he's played badly for us when he hasn't

As for him fitting the system or adapting ... well given the system has been a broken mess for 3/4 of the season I'm not sure what system people posting about

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3212 on: April 17, 2021, 01:10:13 pm »
The discussion in this thread seems to be based on the idea he's played badly for us when he hasn't

As for him fitting the system or adapting ... well given the system has been a broken mess for 3/4 of the season I'm not sure what system people posting about

Apparently people thought he was a one man wrecking crew. Or something.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3213 on: April 17, 2021, 01:12:07 pm »

I don’t think it’s fair to paint Alonsos time with us as all glorious without dips in form though, there were times when he actually suffered from the same thing, no? Before he got benched he was actually playing well in a midfield two with Fabinho..

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #3214 on: April 17, 2021, 01:17:25 pm »
The question is, do we change our style of play, or do we hope that a 30 year old player can change his own game to adapt?
Considering Thiago was signed under Klopp's spell, not beforehand, and considering he is one of the most renowned playmakers in the world and very much a finished article, I say we change our style. This was always going to be the case.

I don't get this narrative. When we signed Thiago, I pretty sure everyone knew what they were getting. Klopp has been an admirer of him for years, so what makes you think he'd okay a signing that doesn't fit what we want to do going forward?

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #3215 on: April 17, 2021, 01:24:32 pm »
He's been OK, and has shown in glimpses he can potentially be fantastic. But there's a lot of goalpost shifting here compared to the pre-season transfer thread with regards to what can/should resonably be expected of him in terms of impact on the team and improving us.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #3216 on: April 17, 2021, 01:35:52 pm »
He looks more Joe Allen than Xabi Alonso.

What further context is required?
Is that really a serious question after the last 7 months?

I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Online bornandbRED

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3217 on: April 17, 2021, 04:04:47 pm »
;D So his second half was stunningly accurate then in that case? Good to see you admit your post was just nonsense

‘He comes on against Madrid and struggles to find a red shirt’

No, I’d say my point still applies. He was brought on to shift the momentum of the game but we continued to have no control in midfield. The second half then culminated in a pinball game. If you can rewatch it and think he played well then fair fucks to you.

Apart from ‘ball progression’ which is a nice stat but ignores that the vast majority of this has been tepid and sideways, what measure suggests he is playing well? Genuinely intrigued to see the thinking behind that He was decent against Arsenal and that got me excited but other than that I can’t remember thinking he’s ran the game there.

I don’t know about the system, but physically he is clearly incapable of covering large spaces, he’s rash and often stupid in the challenge and he’s an ineffective presser. Things you wouldn’t associate with an LFC midfielder the last 3/4 years. OK - but then on the flip side you expect substantial quality on the ball. Penetrative passing - incision, hockey assists - isn’t that why we signed him?

Maybe I’m expecting too much, but that’s how the cookie crumbles when you sign a player with the fanfare, expectation and wages that Thiago is on.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3218 on: April 17, 2021, 04:22:53 pm »

Maybe I’m expecting too much, but that’s how the cookie crumbles when you sign a player with the fanfare, expectation and wages that Thiago is on.
Thats the biggest issue. Too many people had no idea what type of player we were buying. He was coming in to add a new dimension to a team that was defensively solid and decisive in attack.

Instead, he comes into a team that has no pace at the back and a forward line that is blunt. He has never been a goalscorer or a high assists player...so what was he supposed to do with that?
There are probably 5 regulars who are having their worst season with the club...one person cant fix that

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3219 on: April 17, 2021, 04:48:20 pm »
Thats the biggest issue. Too many people had no idea what type of player we were buying. He was coming in to add a new dimension to a team that was defensively solid and decisive in attack.

Instead, he comes into a team that has no pace at the back and a forward line that is blunt. He has never been a goalscorer or a high assists player...so what was he supposed to do with that?
There are probably 5 regulars who are having their worst season with the club...one person cant fix that

Not a goal scorer, or an assist merchant. Can't press but does get booked almost every other game.
Why did we buy him again?

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #3220 on: April 17, 2021, 06:04:46 pm »
Reckon he can be a good midfield playmaker, passes spot on but I'm still waiting to see him adapt his tackles and interceptions - crucial to pressing play - in the PL without picking up a booking

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3221 on: April 17, 2021, 06:18:11 pm »
To be honest, a certain Xabi Alonso had only 18 goals and 16 assists in 210 games for LFC. According to the stats freaks, he was a pretty average player ...

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #3222 on: April 17, 2021, 06:26:19 pm »
To be honest, a certain Xabi Alonso had only 18 goals and 16 assists in 210 games for LFC. According to the stats freaks, he was a pretty average player ...

Yeah that’s the best case for fuck stats if ever I heard one    ;D

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3223 on: April 17, 2021, 06:42:47 pm »
Sorry lads I can't debate a player with people who think Thiago 'cant press' (he does - its measurable go and take a peak) and that 'ball progression is a nice stat but his has been mostly sideways' a) its called ball PROGRESSION and b) its not a nice stat its fundamental to midfielders.....
Assessing CMs is hard - that's why there's been so much argument in the Wijnaldam and Henderson threads over the years - but fucking hell can we at least have a clue what we're talking about before posting

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3224 on: April 17, 2021, 06:53:39 pm »
Not a goal scorer, or an assist merchant. Can't press but does get booked almost every other game.
Why did we buy him again?

Can't press?  ;D  It makes you wonder how he managed to win things at Bayern if he can't press, no one presses more than they did.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online bornandbRED

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3225 on: April 17, 2021, 07:59:57 pm »
Sorry lads I can't debate a player with people who think Thiago 'cant press' (he does - its measurable go and take a peak) and that 'ball progression is a nice stat but his has been mostly sideways' a) its called ball PROGRESSION and b) its not a nice stat its fundamental to midfielders.....
Assessing CMs is hard - that's why there's been so much argument in the Wijnaldam and Henderson threads over the years - but fucking hell can we at least have a clue what we're talking about before posting

Just because you wank over stats bomb doesn’t make you an oracle I’m afraid to say.

Now I could say sorry lads I don’t really debate people who act like utter incels on an online forum but you know... it’s just an online forum so I’ll proceed:

1) You can pass the ball sideways and forwards. If you pass the ball at a 10 degree angle it’s considered ‘progressed’. Simple ball progression doesn’t give an insight into the usefulness of passes.

As you’re such a fan of stats, let’s use some that might: Thiago’s xG+xA per 90 is 0.12 - lower than Wijnaldum (0.16), Keita 0.23), Shaqiri (0.53), Milner (0.16), Jones (0.20).

He has 18 key passes (joint 7th) - the same as Gini Wijnaldum albeit from a smaller sample size. Trent takes top spot with 54.

One big chance created - the same as Oxlade Chamberlain, Milner and Wijnaldum.

Our sixth most accurate passer (89.5%) - after the likes of Jones, Fabinho, Wijnaldum.

Fifth for through balls (2) - Salah is top with 9. Bruno Fernandes leads the league with 14.

0.19 goal creating actions per game (68th quartile - passes that lead to a goal). 

Successful dribbles: 68% - 51st quartile across Europe which is poor.

Finally, he does rank well for distance of progressive passing (97th quartile in Europe) and passes into the final 3rd (98th quartile) . I alluded to this being his stand out feature earlier. Again though - a 10 degree cross field pass would count as progressive. For passes into the penalty box he stands at 0.90 per game (70th quartile), so he’s great at getting the ball into the final third but perhaps not as great penetrating the box.

2) Yes, any player can press as long as they have functioning legs. He has a decent volume of defensive actions (4th in tackles - 37 and 5th in duels won (98). He’s also dribbled past 1.33 times a game (64th quartile) and contests 2.09 dribbles per game (44th quartile) - pretty poor stats. 33% of his pressures are successful (77th Q) - slightly above average.

He’s also our second most regular fouler (35 - only Mane has more with 39 - if extrapolated over a season he’d also be the number 1 fouler in the league - Soucek’s top with 60) and 4 yellow cards (2nd). Also in the 4th percentile for fouling across European football. Great at pressing though?

I must say forgive me almighty king scout... now could you please address the debate in hand and perhaps provide an objective opinion of where Thiago has excelled rather than the condescending shite. I’m genuinely interested believe it or not as the stats reflect his performances which have been largely sterile and rash.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 08:02:33 pm by bornandbRED »

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3226 on: April 17, 2021, 08:07:59 pm »

Xavi or even Iniesta who had a more advancing role, they both were pretty dry when it comes to goals. In fact, i can't even remember Xavi scoring, and he was one of, if not my favorite midfielder of all times.

Yeah, don't really judge midfielders  by goals, especially when you have three attackers up front.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3227 on: April 17, 2021, 08:24:48 pm »

The timing of the sub was strange. We were horrific for 42 minutes anyway but expecting him to come on and change that in 3 minutes before half time.

I don't think anyone found a red shirt in that first half. It was a shambolic performance.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3228 on: April 17, 2021, 08:45:22 pm »
Saying you don’t want to discuss something with someone then getting a 14 paragraph reply only happens on the internet
If it was offline id be fast walking and staring away while looking for the mall security guy

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3229 on: April 17, 2021, 09:24:59 pm »
Saying you don’t want to discuss something with someone then getting a 14 paragraph reply only happens on the internet
If it was offline id be fast walking and staring away while looking for the mall security guy

Grass

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3230 on: April 17, 2021, 09:30:30 pm »
The timing of the sub was strange. We were horrific for 42 minutes anyway but expecting him to come on and change that in 3 minutes before half time.

I don't think anyone found a red shirt in that first half. It was a shambolic performance.

First half we made 228 accurate passes with a pass completion of 83%. Madrid made 199 accurate passes with a pass accuracy of 85%.

The issue is that our defenders couldn't cope with their long passes. They went long 40 times with a pass accuracy of 63%. That is where the match was lost. There is a misconception that Madrid passed us to death in the first half. They didn't, they just preyed on our massive defensive weakness.

I think it is bizarre to even try to judge Thiago or the rest of the midfield when the opposition can just punt it long and bypass our entire midfield with impunity. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3231 on: April 17, 2021, 09:32:00 pm »

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline AmSeeker

• ABbitOfAnAttention
  • Main Stander
« Reply #3232 on: April 17, 2021, 09:35:00 pm »
Beautiful technical player to watch - but can't help feeling disappointed with his performances this season, really has struggled to adapt.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3233 on: April 17, 2021, 09:42:09 pm »
Feels like we bought him with the expectation that we'd be camped outside the opposition box for 90 minutes most games like previous seasons, and he was being added to find those less obvious passes. Then we found ourselves struggling to hem teams in and frequently being broken against and while he wasn't completely out of his element, he ended up mostly doing the workmanlike stuff without many opportunities for the finesse stuff.

Online bornandbRED

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3234 on: April 17, 2021, 10:05:31 pm »

Idiot comes on discussion forum then asks why they are being engaged in discussion. Makes sense

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3235 on: April 17, 2021, 10:27:47 pm »
First half we made 228 accurate passes with a pass completion of 83%. Madrid made 199 accurate passes with a pass accuracy of 85%.

The issue is that our defenders couldn't cope with their long passes. They went long 40 times with a pass accuracy of 63%. That is where the match was lost. There is a misconception that Madrid passed us to death in the first half. They didn't, they just preyed on our massive defensive weakness.

I think it is bizarre to even try to judge Thiago or the rest of the midfield when the opposition can just punt it long and bypass our entire midfield with impunity.

Ultimately if you go away to Real Madrid in a CL quarter final (particularly at that ground and that pitch) and play a high line then you can't carry a slow, inexperienced backline.

The best you can do is stop them getting the passes through but Modric and Kroos were given the freedom of the park.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3236 on: April 17, 2021, 11:02:48 pm »
Ultimately if you go away to Real Madrid in a CL quarter final (particularly at that ground and that pitch) and play a high line then you can't carry a slow, inexperienced backline.

The best you can do is stop them getting the passes through but Modric and Kroos were given the freedom of the park.

It is much simpler than that.

If your manager has built the best team on the planet that plays in a certain way. Then do not leave him with centre backs who cannot cope with the system.

Thiago isn't the quickest and relies on a high line to compress the play.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3237 on: April 17, 2021, 11:36:03 pm »
Beautiful technical player to watch - but can't help feeling disappointed with his performances this season, really has struggled to adapt.

Adapt to what?

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3239 on: April 17, 2021, 11:56:41 pm »
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D