Author Topic: Loan Watch 2018-2019  (Read 184063 times)

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Loan Watch 2018-2019
« Reply #200 on: September 26, 2018, 09:41:34 am »
Thing with Wilson is if he was good enough right now, he'd be in the squad. Hopefully with this loan spell, he irons out whatever deficiencies that he has and really forces himself into Klopp's thinking. Derby is the perfect opportunity for that.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: September 26, 2018, 10:01:43 am »
Thing with Wilson is if he was good enough right now, he'd be in the squad. Hopefully with this loan spell, he irons out whatever deficiencies that he has and really forces himself into Klopp's thinking. Derby is the perfect opportunity for that.

He’s quite obviously good enough.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #202 on: September 26, 2018, 10:03:51 am »
Pretty impressive interview after the game by Wilson. Seems a smart cookie, to go with the football ability.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: September 26, 2018, 10:30:10 am »
His impact against the top clubs have been particularly good, last time he played Chelsea last season he  earned a penalty this season MOTM at Old Trafford.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: September 26, 2018, 10:34:57 am »
Spectacular free kick that. The pace, dip and swerve were all special. That was one of those knuckleball freekicks that Bale seems to hit so well.

To be honest, it's been so long ago he ever took free kicks, I forgot he used to have that technique (he hasn't scored a free kick since Jan15 thanks to having he who fannies about and dives around being greedy in front of him) - the player who it reminded me far more of (especially the distance from goal) was Juninho P at Lyon.

Offline TheMightyReds

• Full of B.U.L.L.S.H.I.T ;)
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #205 on: September 26, 2018, 11:01:25 am »
I'm really surprised that Harry Wilson hasn't had more than 1 appearance in our first team. In terms of passing the eye test and watching him over the years he really is good enough to be in the squad. Certainly should be in the squad next year as he is the exact type of player we need to rotate.

Got superb technique, good passing, pace, seems to have a some hunger to make something of himself and is in the Wales team.

I remember a few performances that Sterling put in the reserves and he was on the verge of leaving the club for peanuts, when he finally got his chance. Over 2014 he really grew, and I think the same could be the case with Wilson.

Whats happenning with Woodburn, seems to have dropped off?

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #206 on: September 26, 2018, 12:08:38 pm »

Online David Struhme

• Kopite
« Reply #207 on: September 26, 2018, 01:59:05 pm »
Looks like Woodburn can't even get into the Sheffield Utd team. Shame really, had such high hopes for him a couple of years ago but hasn't pushed on from then at all

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #208 on: September 26, 2018, 02:01:04 pm »
Looks like Woodburn can't even get into the Sheffield Utd team. Shame really, had such high hopes for him a couple of years ago but hasn't pushed on from then at all

Still only 18.

My impression from well afar is that there has been this flux about his best position; that we had started to realise it might be as a creative midfielder; and that Sheff U still think he is a forward.

He has a lot of ability so I expect we will be patient.

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: September 26, 2018, 02:23:56 pm »
It's a shame Woodburn isn't getting more game time but he is still 3 years younger than Wilson. Wilson was on loan at Crewe in League 1 at his age and also struggling to get games, so don't think it necessarily means he's not gonna hit the heights a lot expected from him.

He will probably be recalled and loaned elsewhere in the second half of the season like Kent was last year, unless Sheff Utd start playing him more.

Online Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #210 on: September 26, 2018, 02:26:04 pm »
Still only 18.

My impression from well afar is that there has been this flux about his best position; that we had started to realise it might be as a creative midfielder; and that Sheff U still think he is a forward.

He has a lot of ability so I expect we will be patient.

Yeah, he won't make it with us a forward, he has all the tools to be an outstanding Lallana-type midfielder though. Every time I watch Harry Winks play CM for Spurs I think just how overrated he is and that Woodburn is twice the player. Ben will ultimately force his way into the Sheff Utd team and probably have a very strong 2nd half of the season.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: September 26, 2018, 11:28:39 pm »
Away from our game tonight:

Ojo - Got his second consecutive start and completed his first 90 minutes as Reims lost 4-1 away at PSG.
Kent & Ejaria - Both started and completed the 90 minutes as Rangers beat Ayr 4-0 in the League Cup quarter finals. Next up is away at Livingston on Sunday.
Allan - Unused sub as Frankfurt lost 3-1 away at Gladbach.

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: September 28, 2018, 12:59:32 pm »
I think honestly that these players won't make it - but I don't particularly think it's their fault. We have lots of great players coming through who are caught in a contradiction - players who aren't good enough YET to play for Liverpool but are 'valued' enough to be kept around. Take Solanke. He is a talented player, but he gets the odd random appearance and obviously doens't set the world on fire and then people say he's not good enough, ship him out. And it's true, he's not good enough yet and lack of game time exaggerates the problem. What we're doing is basically shutting the kid out of the education he needs because he's not smart enough yet - it is circular and the end result is inevitable.

And sure, Alexander-Arnold. But what happened with him (and also with Rashford) is  miraculous - you're talking an eighteen year old who is good enough to supplant seasoned pros, getting a chance because of injury to the player they supplant. The sheer odds of that are there to see and send a clear message. You have to be good enough AND you need luck. Otherwise maybe Trent would be in the same circular hole.

This is what Kent (who I rate highly) and Wilson, and Ejaria, and various others are facing when they return - this is what Solanke faces now. It's not about them being good enough. It's about a system that is broken. A system that has Solanke getting no game time and yet being told he's valuable to the club. It's twaddle really isn't it? He's valuable enough to get maybe ten part games a season where he'll lack any sharpness.

And the same will happen to Brewster too. He's been told he's in consideration for the first team - that is blatant nonsense. I don't care how good he is, and he really does look good. It will take a miracle to displace Firminho, or Salah, or Mane, or Sturridge. The club told him he could to get him to sign a new contract - because he might make it, not because he's going to be eased into the team. Honestly, these players should take off - spread their wings and find a club willing to nurture them. Liverpool aren't as bad as they could be in this respect (Trent, Gomez) - but for the majority, we are not the place to grow as a player.

I don't think it's about good enough. It's about a system at the top o English Football that will cause these players to stagnate if they get drawn in. For sure, this is probably a bit of rant. But I don't like the binary discussions we have about youth development - I don't like the good enough/not good enough chatter. Football at the highest level in this country is not a good place for youth development - it pits young talented players against the cream of the crop from worldwide. And inevitably, most of them lose that unfair fight and stagnate. Hopefully, more players will have a chance to take off with the new loans rules rolling at some point.

MIght be talking bollocks, but oh well, thought I'd contribute.
You could open a door with him, he's such a knob.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #213 on: September 28, 2018, 01:10:10 pm »
Some of them wont make it.  They are a talented bunch though.  What each needs to do is seize their chance and get immediate momentum by making an impression.  Trent and Gomez (albeit purchased) did.  Back in the day, Fowler, Owen, McManaman, Redknapp, Matteo all made immediately favourable impacts and showed there was something of value.  I could see Wilson, Brewster and even Ejaria doing this.  Then you have the likes of Curtis Jones, Adam Lewis, Paul Glatzel coming through and I really do think there is a chance we could get a few coming through.

Offline suede lady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: September 29, 2018, 08:40:34 am »
the issue with young players is often their consistency. They might look like world beaters one game and be thrash the next. As a coach for a top team is there little possibility to let them play enough to iron this out. Hence they tend to stagnate.

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: September 29, 2018, 04:15:11 pm »
Woodburn not even in squad for Sheff Utd today. Still early days, but beginning to look like it's not happening for him there.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #216 on: September 29, 2018, 04:35:50 pm »
We must not have added a "Play or Pay" clause to his loan contract  :(
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: September 29, 2018, 04:57:10 pm »
We must not have added a "Play or Pay" clause to his loan contract  :(

Sure we do as standard now but guess if they are winning without him, don’t play him for sake of it.

He does need games though - but he’s only 18 so no crisis for him yet

Offline Larse

• Kopite
« Reply #218 on: September 30, 2018, 02:15:42 pm »
Allan is starting for Eintracht today

Offline vallapureddy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: September 30, 2018, 02:53:33 pm »
It seems like Allan is playing further up the pitch. Wasn't he suppose to be a DM?

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #220 on: September 30, 2018, 04:31:29 pm »
Allan played the whole game today. In a very good 4-1 win for Eintracht Frankfurt over Hannover.

He won't have done him any harm at all either with that, especially as Frankfurt had some struggles early season, so to come into the team and play a part in their best peformance so far in the league is good for him.

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: September 30, 2018, 06:35:03 pm »
Why Liverpool and Wales starlet Ben Woodburn is struggling for Sheffield United game time and what needs to happen next
The teenager has been used sparingly since his move from Liverpool

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/ben-woodburn-not-playing-why-15206506

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #222 on: September 30, 2018, 06:36:40 pm »
Allan played the whole game today. In a very good 4-1 win for Eintracht Frankfurt over Hannover.

He won't have done him any harm at all either with that, especially as Frankfurt had some struggles early season, so to come into the team and play a part in their best peformance so far in the league is good for him.

Thanks for that update. I'm really curious about his progress.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: September 30, 2018, 06:56:44 pm »
Thanks for that update. I'm really curious about his progress.

their fans seem pretty happy with him after todays game. I think they where rather unsure when he signed, they where a little surprised actually, as he didn't show that much in pre-season.

But with them having to also contend with some tough Europa league games this first half of the season (they play Lazio on Thursday), they need the depth, so hopefully this solid perforamance will help him get some more minutes during this run of fixtures.

Offline badkhan

• Anny Roader
    • CX
« Reply #224 on: September 30, 2018, 07:44:12 pm »
Herbie Kane (number 15) got himself an assist today for the third goal at Plymouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84ZzhuBy64k&feature=youtu.be

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: October 1, 2018, 07:04:02 am »
their fans seem pretty happy with him after todays game. I think they where rather unsure when he signed, they where a little surprised actually, as he didn't show that much in pre-season.

But with them having to also contend with some tough Europa league games this first half of the season (they play Lazio on Thursday), they need the depth, so hopefully this solid perforamance will help him get some more minutes during this run of fixtures.

Mrboywunder made an all touch video of Alan's performance.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7oXT-7VK2SY&amp;feature=share" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7oXT-7VK2SY&amp;feature=share</a>
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: October 1, 2018, 12:14:08 pm »
Mrboywunder made an all touch video of Alan's performance.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7oXT-7VK2SY&amp;feature=share" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7oXT-7VK2SY&amp;feature=share</a>

cool that, thanks for posting  :)

The stand out bits for me watching the game, was the couple times he ghosted in and just stole the ball of the player.  He certainly wasn't shy in that game, and looked confident and was pretty vocal through it.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: October 1, 2018, 12:31:13 pm »
cool that, thanks for posting  :)

The stand out bits for me watching the game, was the couple times he ghosted in and just stole the ball of the player.  He certainly wasn't shy in that game, and looked confident and was pretty vocal through it.

And he is able to hold onto the ball in a crowd.

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: October 1, 2018, 04:56:04 pm »
Harry Wilson - Derby - Following his heroics in the League Cup win over Utd Wilson picked up his third consecutive start as Derby fell to a 1-0 defeat at Bolton, he played for 77 minutes as Derby dominated possession but struggled to break Bolton down after conceding in the opening 10 minutes. They drop to 9th but are only 4 points behind 1st, very close table at the moment. Also been drawn away at Chelsea in the next round of the cup.
Ovie Ejaria - Rangers - A very disappointing 1-0 defeat away from home for Rangers at Livingston. Ejaria played the full 90, I only watched the first half but he played pretty well and put in a lovely ball that should have been finished off, but sadly wasn't.
Ryan Kent - Rangers - Kent was rotated out of the side for the above defeat, probably with one eye on Thursday's Europa game. He came on at half time but couldn't make a breakthrough.
Taiwo Awoniyi - Gent - Was brought back into the starting 11 as Gent rotated for their cup tie against non-league Excelsior Virton, and scored twice on his return to the starting line up in a 4-2 win. He then kept his place for the league game at the weekend and played the full 90 minutes of a 2-2 away draw with Antwerp.
Anderson Arroyo - Gent - Not in the match day squad for either of the 2 games.
Allan - Frankfurt - Allan started and played the full 90 minutes of Frankfurt's 4-1 home win over Hannover, a more detailed post and video of his performance are above.
Shamal George - Tranmere - George was on the bench for Tranmere's 1-1 draw away at MK Dons.
Adam Bogdan - Hibernian - Made it 3 clean sheets in a row as Hibs beat St Mirren 1-0, keeping them in 2nd above Celtic and Rangers.
Ben Woodburn - Sheffield Utd - Not in the match day squad, Sheff Utd won 3-2 away at Millwall and moved upto 4th.
Herbie Kane - Doncaster - Kane's encouraging season continued as he assisted the 3rd goal of Doncaster's 3-2 win away at Plymouth, they're now up to 3rd in the table.
Marko Grujic - Hertha Berlin - Injured. Hertha beat Bayern 2-0 in his absence.
Connor Randall - Rochdale - Injured.
Loris Karius - Beşiktaş - Got his first clean sheet of the season as Beşiktaş beat Kayserispor 2-0 at home.
Corey Whelan - Crewe - Crewe suffered their 3rd defeat in a row, losing 2-1 at Notts County, Whelan played the full 90 minutes.
Sheyi Ojo - Reims - Reims drew 0-0 for the 3rd time in 4 games, they've scored 4 goals in their 8 games this season. Ojo came on in the 70th minute.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: October 2, 2018, 01:29:20 am »
Bless you Joe Cole

For how long do we think Reims-Cardiff City could play and not score a goal?  Over/under 4 hours?

It is shocking to this blinkered fool to see Woodburn not making the 18.  In the preseason he played like he belonged with LFC, granted it's preseason....but truly, thought he'd make a great 10 in the Championship and a player who could play out wide in a pinch.  Color me confused.

Clearly Bogdan is sheer quality and to think we are stuck with Alisson when we used to have our pick of Brad Jones, Boggy dans and Migs is just shameful personnel management.

I hope we send another player to Rangers in January if at all possible, it's been lovely watching clips of Ejaria, he's ungainly at times but he's got a really fun game.  Cheers for the Allan vid too
« Last Edit: October 2, 2018, 01:37:58 am by mallin9 »
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: October 2, 2018, 02:20:51 am »
Does anyone know if Allan will get a work permit in the summer?  Playing in Germany has to help with this right?

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: October 2, 2018, 12:16:11 pm »
Does anyone know if Allan will get a work permit in the summer?  Playing in Germany has to help with this right?

I honestly don't know the whole criteria, but I'm guessing a big part is him playing a high enough percentage of games?   

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: October 2, 2018, 10:30:43 pm »
I honestly don't know the whole criteria, but I'm guessing a big part is him playing a high enough percentage of games?   

I believe the fact they are playing in Europe is a factor as well.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: October 3, 2018, 10:01:07 am »

I'm hardly the expert on Harry Wilson, but from the part of the Derby/Man Utd game I saw, I thought he was too tentative on 50-50 balls. He looked like he wasn't prepared to compete.

Now, maybe that was how he's been instructed to play, or maybe I just caught the worst ten minutes of the match from his point of view. But I think that fits with earlier comments about him needing to grow a bit before he can be strong enough to make it as a Premier League player.

If that's the case, then I'm sure Harry will have been told it many times, and while he's on loan he will have been instructed to work on this.

He's clearly tremendously talented, but there have been many talented footballers who didn't make it because they lacked one thing. I hope he can work on what he needs this season, and if so I can certainly see him as part of our squad next year.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: October 3, 2018, 11:20:18 am »
I'm hardly the expert on Harry Wilson, but from the part of the Derby/Man Utd game I saw, I thought he was too tentative on 50-50 balls. He looked like he wasn't prepared to compete.

Now, maybe that was how he's been instructed to play, or maybe I just caught the worst ten minutes of the match from his point of view. But I think that fits with earlier comments about him needing to grow a bit before he can be strong enough to make it as a Premier League player.

If that's the case, then I'm sure Harry will have been told it many times, and while he's on loan he will have been instructed to work on this.

He's clearly tremendously talented, but there have been many talented footballers who didn't make it because they lacked one thing. I hope he can work on what he needs this season, and if so I can certainly see him as part of our squad next year.

I think that’s wrong, he won the ball back more than any other attacking player on the field. The whole not being ready for “premier league football” has become a bit of an overused cliche, and not at all relevant in this context, especially in this case with players who have grown up in English football, I said this before but players like Wilson and co have spent their whole life defending themselves and finding a way to alleviate themselves from shitehouse tackles, and this is point is more pertinent even more so in the championship than say the Pl.
« Last Edit: October 3, 2018, 11:35:50 am by Coolie High »

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: October 3, 2018, 11:49:06 am »

I think it’s a pretty complicated process.  Playing in a high profile league as well as in Europe has to help him though.  Hopefully he is able to get his work permit so we can actually see him in a Liverpool shirt next year. 

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #236 on: October 4, 2018, 04:46:56 pm »
Woodburn not playing again

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #237 on: October 4, 2018, 05:01:18 pm »
Woodburn not playing again

Attitude?

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #238 on: October 4, 2018, 05:24:25 pm »
Attitude?

Don’t think so , think not rated good enough or ready yet ?

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #239 on: October 4, 2018, 05:29:47 pm »
Don’t think so , think not rated good enough or ready yet ?

Seems odd when he's been playing (albeit not much) for Wales. Lack of pace maybe? I remember him last season having a fair few stinkers for the u23's so maybe something like attitude might be a possibility...no idea