Author Topic: Cancer  (Read 247625 times)

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
Re: Cancer
« Reply #2320 on: September 19, 2018, 10:23:07 am »
Good news today from Christie's.

They don't think it's spread but he's to have at least 1 cycle of chemo to make sure it hasn't and then just needs monitoring for 5yrs.

That's pretty good news, Debs!! :) I'm very happy for you and your son!! :thumbup

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2321 on: September 19, 2018, 08:16:56 pm »
That's pretty good news, Debs!! :) I'm very happy for you and your son!! [emoji106]
Thanks Tom.  Yeah it's the best we could have hoped for and a huge relief considering.

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2322 on: September 20, 2018, 08:10:29 am »
Thanks Tom.  Yeah it's the best we could have hoped for and a huge relief considering.

Oh yes! ;)

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #2323 on: September 25, 2018, 02:42:03 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with lymphoma?

I have been advised by my ophthalmologist that my eye infections might be caused by this, so he wants to do a brain MRI and biopsy of the stuff in my eyes.

Bit of a shock when he told me.
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #2324 on: October 4, 2018, 02:58:18 pm »
Mum's results have unfortunately shown a positive result in one of her removed lymph nodes.

Her appointment is booked for next week. Rather horribly it's with Dad's oncologist, who he would have seen about 11 years ago around this time

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2325 on: October 10, 2018, 10:53:32 am »
Gregg had his chemo yesterday so fingers crossed that's the end of it other than regular checkups. 

Now my daughter's been told she might have a heart problem and needs to wear a mobile ECG monitor to get a longer readout.  We thought the chest pains were anxiety cos of her brothers diagnosis but seems her heart rate is too low not too high.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #2326 on: October 11, 2018, 01:40:42 am »
Best wishes to all. We are lucky in the NW to have world class centres like Christie’s, clatterbridge and alder hey.

We are fortunate indeed mate. My lad has been superbly supported by the dedicated heroes at Christies (just a 25 minute drive down the road) for the last torrid few months. He now has to speak with the equally superb folks over on the Wirral at Clatterbridge re his next options - surgery or more radiotherapy.  I effing hate this bastarding cancer !!
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #2327 on: October 12, 2018, 08:36:50 am »
The Christie just been rated Outstanding again and I can fully understand why. Spent so much time there over the last few years with three different family members and the staff are incredible. Rarely made to wait for very long and always someone to turn to. Plus fantastic surgeons and nurses. All staff in fact. We’re lucky as been said.

Best wishes to everyone currently going through the mill with it.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2328 on: December 11, 2018, 10:10:27 am »
What a bollix of a disease it is as we have all seen family and friends suffer from it. My aunt passed away last year from throat cancer and up to the last month was still in good spirit & had a fighting chance. Its amazing to see how one week you can have a chat with someone walking around and the next holding their hand in bed as they slip away. Last week I was able to chat to my best friend about her hopes and dreams once she gets out of the hospital and yesterday I met her dad and mum outside her room an hour after they were told she has days to live. Feck me what a kick in the bollix as how do you process that news about your child as while shes in her 40s her dad never dreamed he be having this conversation. He was in tears and I just held his hand and told him to go back to his daughter. I have cried several times since, still in tears typing this as we even made brief plans to hike Kilimanjaro once she recovered. Even bought her a book yesterday morning for a Christmas gift about a woman who walked the length and breadth of Wales after recovering. Dreading the next text from her husband and spoke with several friends already who were stunned at the news. It was some reprieve to share some of our sorrow together but the worse of times must be when by yourself and the dread wont let go. I dont know how her husband, parents, family are keeping it together....feck me Im sure they have bawled their eyes out as my friend will never see her 3 year old grow up. I always say where there is life there is hope so I can pray for a wee miracle as coming up to Christmas you can dream she will wake up again and still have at least one more hug, kiss, day or even holiday together with her family. Sorry to go on but sending my love to all who have suffered or going through this pile of shyte called cancer right now. YNWA
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #2329 on: December 11, 2018, 12:08:19 pm »
As a survivor, I live every day as if it were my last, but plan to see 100.
Kill the humourless

Offline IrishSu

• percalifragilisticexpialidocious. I am WOman, Hear me RAWK!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Like an Irish Stew, just not as lumpy
« Reply #2330 on: December 30, 2018, 07:16:49 pm »
It's good to see this thread was on Page 2! Just popped in to wish everyone the best 2019 possible. I'm swiftly coming up to my '2 year out' mark. Taking my Tamoxifen daily and suffering minimal side effects so I really can't complain. The last 2 years have flown by and have been filled with fabulous, happy times and hard work. Here's to the next one!

Love to all. YNWA.  :)

JFT96 YNWA

Offline TheMissionary

• PositionIsSoooooooOrdinary!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's nice, that's McDermott, and that's a goal!!
« Reply #2331 on: December 31, 2018, 12:41:47 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with lymphoma?

I have been advised by my ophthalmologist that my eye infections might be caused by this, so he wants to do a brain MRI and biopsy of the stuff in my eyes.

Bit of a shock when he told me.

BR

I was just scanning through this thread for the first time in ages and noticed the above and that nobody had responded, publicly at least.

I have Non-Hodgins Lymphoma, but other than a few (14) tumors chased away about three years ago by chemo I haven't really had any side or additional impacts.  That said, I now have diverticulitis which I didn't have, or have any traces of, before my lymphoma, so who knows?  About nine months ago I developed another tumor by my right temple, I was advised then that they can't get rid of lymphoma, they can only control it - I will die with this poxy disease but I won't die of it.  That tumor has since been zapped but I have a baldy patch 'cause they do a 4" circle for a 1" tumor.  Still, better baldy than not here.

Since initial diagnosis I've changed by diet and my lifestyle.  I hardly drink, I swim three times a week (more in the summer) and I've changed my diet.  I eat a lot of oily fish, tumeric in most meals, green tea rather than the previous builder's, tumeric, vit C, green tea tablets every morning.  More importantly though is a positive outlook.  I've got no intention of this disease getting me, I'm not going to be another stat, and I WILL retire in about 10 years time and move move back to the North West nearer my Mam (if she's still around), our kid, and my team.

I don't know if there's any connection between the different types of Lymphoma and I doubt if I've been any use what so ever but I didn't want your question going unanswered.  I hope everything improves for you, a positive attitude and a healthy lifestyle will see you through.  Keep going, it's better than the alternative.

Please PM me if you want to discuss anything, and not in public.   
TheMissionary
YNWA

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2332 on: January 14, 2019, 08:56:52 am »
My son had his final "Papillon" radiotherapy session at Clatterbridge a week ago - ground-breaking therapy which is delivered by the insertion of a radio-active pod close to the site of the tumour(s). This was Ant's 4th and final session as that's the safe limit reached. His Indian consultant a lovely and very exceptionally caring fella called Professor Mint, compared the photos taken 6-7 weeks apart and invited me in to see them alongside my lad. He showed us where traces of abnormalities were 7 weeks ago and then showed us last Tuesday a clear picture where none were evident. His verdict based on the course completed evidence was that Ant now had a 90% chance of remission. He told us no-one in the cancer field can ever give an absolute 100% assurance but he is extremely satisfied how well Ant has handled this course which of course takes it out of you and does have side-effects. Should there ever be a return of any malignant cells then major surgery is the only option. Please God it won't ever be necessary.

What a bloody marvellous - indeed a world-class - national health service we have!! That these bastard Tories would rip it away from us without a thought is abhorrent and I tell you all this. I would willingly die on the streets fighting the bastards should they ever attempt to destroy THE most decent and humanitarian institution ANY country in the world ever introduced for the well-being of its citizens. God bless you Aneurin Bevan and thank you sir - your vision saved the life of my Mam back in 1959 when she was in her 30's and now that of my son.   
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #2333 on: January 14, 2019, 09:48:10 am »
Great result Johnno 👍

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2334 on: January 14, 2019, 10:08:32 am »
My son had his final "Papillon" radiotherapy session at Clatterbridge a week ago - ground-breaking therapy which is delivered by the insertion of a radio-active pod close to the site of the tumour(s). This was Ant's 4th and final session as that's the safe limit reached. His Indian consultant a lovely and very exceptionally caring fella called Professor Mint, compared the photos taken 6-7 weeks apart and invited me in to see them alongside my lad. He showed us where traces of abnormalities were 7 weeks ago and then showed us last Tuesday a clear picture where none were evident. His verdict based on the course completed evidence was that Ant now had a 90% chance of remission. He told us no-one in the cancer field can ever give an absolute 100% assurance but he is extremely satisfied how well Ant has handled this course which of course takes it out of you and does have side-effects. Should there ever be a return of any malignant cells then major surgery is the only option. Please God it won't ever be necessary.

What a bloody marvellous - indeed a world-class - national health service we have!! That these bastard Tories would rip it away from us without a thought is abhorrent and I tell you all this. I would willingly die on the streets fighting the bastards should they ever attempt to destroy THE most decent and humanitarian institution ANY country in the world ever introduced for the well-being of its citizens. God bless you Aneurin Bevan and thank you sir - your vision saved the life of my Mam back in 1959 when she was in her 30's and now that of my son.   

:wellin :scarf

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2335 on: January 14, 2019, 12:50:32 pm »
Great result Johnno 👍

Everything crossed mate that it stays away thank you!! Best of outcomes for all of those battling this thief of precious lives.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #2336 on: January 14, 2019, 01:25:56 pm »

Pardon the language, but that's fucking ace.  Here's hoping the consultant is right in his prognosis.
 :thumbup 
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2337 on: January 14, 2019, 01:49:33 pm »
Thank you Ray. One day this scourge will be smashed to smithereens I've no doubts about that!

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2338 on: January 17, 2019, 11:01:58 pm »

That is brilliant news JohnnoWhite! Wishing your son a very happy and healthy future ahead. All the very best to you and all your family.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:44:10 pm by androulla »

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2339 on: January 20, 2019, 04:00:52 pm »

That is brilliant news JohnnoWhite! Wishing your son a very happy and healthy future ahead. All the very best to you and all your family.

Thank you so much.  We pray that he'll be around for many years. As I know do all parents when cancer strikes.

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #2340 on: February 6, 2019, 10:12:53 pm »
I've been on this forum for over 14 years.
I don't know if it helps spilling my guts.

My wife was diagnosed with Grade 3 Breast Cancer July 2016. She has been fighting it since through treatment/chemo.
She is still receiving treatment in he hope that the cancer does not spread to her bones.
There's barely a week that she doesn't receive treatment.

But she loves life - hates football.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2341 on: February 6, 2019, 11:54:48 pm »
Thank you so much.  We pray that he'll be around for many years. As I know do all parents when cancer strikes.

Delighted to hear about your son's last treatment fingers crossed the fears are behind you all. Clatterbridge is a great hospital my mum had her own cancer treatment there, also went to the hospice there which is a brilliant place. Her last happiest days were spent there, everyone needs to look after their local hospitals in this day and age.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2342 on: February 6, 2019, 11:56:01 pm »
I've been on this forum for over 14 years.
I don't know if it helps spilling my guts.

My wife was diagnosed with Grade 3 Breast Cancer July 2016. She has been fighting it since through treatment/chemo.
She is still receiving treatment in he hope that the cancer does not spread to her bones.
There's barely a week that she doesn't receive treatment.

But she loves life - hates football.

So sorry to hear about your wife's treatment but she sounds a real fighter, hope like Johnno you get the news your hoping for soon.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2343 on: February 7, 2019, 11:02:46 am »
My son's had it confirmed the tumour was cancerous so now waiting for CT results from Oncology at Christie's to know if it's spread and/or if further treatment is required.

Debs I pray that your son's condition is firstly controllable and secondly, able to be destroyed with the latest technology we have. My son's was able to be attacked by chemo-therapy, dietary change, radio-therapy and ultimately by the specialist Papillon technique undertaken at Clatterbridge. All of these have combined over this last 12 months to give him a prognosis of 93% survival. Christies and Clatterbridge are always in close communication. Depending on where your son's tumour is ask Christies about Clatterbridge - bloody excellent place that as are they both!! I wish him the very best of outcomes.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2019, 11:04:40 am by JohnnoWhite »

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2344 on: February 7, 2019, 11:09:43 am »
Delighted to hear about your son's last treatment fingers crossed the fears are behind you all. Clatterbridge is a great hospital my mum had her own cancer treatment there, also went to the hospice there which is a brilliant place. Her last happiest days were spent there, everyone needs to look after their local hospitals in this day and age.

It really is an uplifting place Jill where the very best that can be done IS being done. Marvellous people who daily deliver the utmost attention to all in their care. Heartwarming for you and your family to know your mum spent her last days with such dignity and care afforded to her.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2345 on: February 7, 2019, 12:14:23 pm »
Debs I pray that your son's condition is firstly controllable and secondly, able to be destroyed with the latest technology we have. My son's was able to be attacked by chemo-therapy, dietary change, radio-therapy and ultimately by the specialist Papillon technique undertaken at Clatterbridge. All of these have combined over this last 12 months to give him a prognosis of 93% survival. Christies and Clatterbridge are always in close communication. Depending on where your son's tumour is ask Christies about Clatterbridge - bloody excellent place that as are they both!! I wish him the very best of outcomes.
Thanks Johnno we had good news last week that the chemo worked and his latest test results were clear.

Next visit is April.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2346 on: February 7, 2019, 12:44:25 pm »
Thanks Johnno we had good news last week that the chemo worked and his latest test results were clear.

Next visit is April.

Fantastic!!!

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2347 on: February 7, 2019, 12:50:22 pm »
Fantastic!!!
Thank you.

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2348 on: February 7, 2019, 01:38:59 pm »
Devastating disease. Even if you beat it the psychological consequences are massive. Good friend of mine had stage 3 breast cancer in 2011 and even though she has been fine since her life has been ruined simply because she is constantly terrified it will come back.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2349 on: February 7, 2019, 02:24:39 pm »
Devastating disease. Even if you beat it the psychological consequences are massive. Good friend of mine had stage 3 breast cancer in 2011 and even though she has been fine since her life has been ruined simply because she is constantly terrified it will come back.

I recognise those fears as my son has expressed exactly the same feelings mate. But as he told me "I can't live my life in fear of it coming back Dad otherwise I might as well be dead now." Couldn't find a counter-argument to those words because he's bang on right!

Offline IrishSu

• percalifragilisticexpialidocious. I am WOman, Hear me RAWK!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Like an Irish Stew, just not as lumpy
« Reply #2350 on: April 12, 2019, 06:06:06 pm »
Just popping in to share my good news. I am now, officially, 2 years out from my diagnosis and clear !  :D My annual mammogram shows nothing untoward. So I suppose it's really great news!

I hope everyone who uses this thread and their loved ones are doing well.
Love to all. x  :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 06:07:52 pm by IrishSu »
JFT96 YNWA

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2351 on: April 13, 2019, 12:04:54 pm »
That's great news Su, it must be a huge relief for you.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2352 on: April 13, 2019, 12:12:27 pm »
Just popping in to share my good news. I am now, officially, 2 years out from my diagnosis and clear !  :D My annual mammogram shows nothing untoward. So I suppose it's really great news!

That's wonderful news, pleased for you.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2353 on: April 13, 2019, 08:10:59 pm »

Brilliant news!

I just realized that this Thursday was the 3rd anniversary of me getting the all clear from the doc after my surgery for testicular cancer. I've been to 3 check ups and the last time the doc told me I was out of the woods and I should go home and live a normal life again. :)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2354 on: April 14, 2019, 09:54:05 am »
Brilliant news!

I just realized that this Thursday was the 3rd anniversary of me getting the all clear from the doc after my surgery for testicular cancer. I've been to 3 check ups and the last time the doc told me I was out of the woods and I should go home and live a normal life again. :)

More good news, well done mate. It's so good to hear about the success stories, as sometimes its easy to forget there are plenty out there who have managed to win the fight against Cancer. I hope others can use these cases as a bit of inspiration, should they face the same dark days.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2355 on: April 15, 2019, 08:27:23 am »
More good news, well done mate. It's so good to hear about the success stories, as sometimes its easy to forget there are plenty out there who have managed to win the fight against Cancer. I hope others can use these cases as a bit of inspiration, should they face the same dark days.

Thank you. I fully agree! :wave

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #2356 on: April 16, 2019, 03:49:06 pm »
Great news!
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2357 on: April 16, 2019, 06:30:05 pm »
Just come back from Clatterbridge this afternoon with my 50 year old son there for his 6 monthly check after him undergoing his final Pappillon session some months back (for cancer of the rectum). What a fabulous bloody place that is and doing some  truly ground-breaking stuff!! Apart from a small niggly ulcer which gives him a little pain from time to time but is manageable with routine paracetamol and which he WAS told could happen in abut 40% of patients on radio-therapy treatment, all appears to be perfectly normal. They'll see him again end of October. Onwards and upwards eh? :) :)

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2358 on: April 16, 2019, 11:47:39 pm »

That’s brilliant news IrishSu!

Stay positive, keep smiling and wishing you all the very best :)

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2359 on: April 16, 2019, 11:55:52 pm »
Brilliant news!

That’s fantastic news.

Wishing you all the very best for a happy and healthy future ahead :)