Author Topic: Struggling with depression  (Read 617758 times)

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • this is what depression will do to you
Re: Struggling with depression
« Reply #8400 on: March 30, 2024, 02:44:51 pm »

If you've been diagnosed with ADD, have you read about rejection sensitivity dysphoria?

I had not. This seems a discussion I need to bring up with my therapist, or with my doctor.

cheers

Offline fridgepants

• Main Stander
  • They should let everybody be a giant for a day
« Reply #8401 on: March 30, 2024, 03:38:09 pm »
It was really eye-opening for me, apparently that feeling of constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop is just the lack of dopamine making my brain into an idiot and not because of actual bad things waiting to happen.

Offline PeterJM

• The Queens Drive Dodger. Has a reckless appetite for meat
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8402 on: April 11, 2024, 01:04:24 pm »
Well what a past week i've had. My dad was rushed into Aintree Hospital last Friday after i found him collapsed on his living room floor and was critical for 48 hours, i was shown to the relatives room and given the no resuscitation talk due to his age by the doctors. I've never felt so overwhelmed in that room, a rollercoaster of emotions engulfing me and i was on my own trying to take it all in.

I've had a lot of time to dwell on what happened this past week due to lack of sleep and not being able to concentrate on work. God knows how i carry on now but i've got to find a way.

He's on the mend now but still suffering from delirium which is not nice to see. It's not nice seeing either of your parents in a vulnerable state however likely that is at some point in their lives. I had to type this as a form of therapy as there's not many people i can rant at.

Online jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #8403 on: April 11, 2024, 01:45:33 pm »
I've been battling with depression and anxiety for the past twenty years. I've shared some of the issues here, when I've been well enough to do so.
Not as freqently as I feel I should have.

Since this january, I was diagnosed with add, which actually makes alot of sence. My medication was adjusted as such.

Hope you'll excuse me cutting some of your post, dimwit - just quoting to let you know that I started a thread on ADD/ADHD last year, and there might be some useful bits in there: https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=354342.0

If you've been diagnosed with ADD, have you read about rejection sensitivity dysphoria?

I picked up on RSD whilst listening to the corresponding episode of the Adult ADHD podcast a while ago, and it made a lot of sense to me. I'll pop a link in the other thread.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #8404 on: April 11, 2024, 04:54:43 pm »
Well what a past week i've had. My dad was rushed into Aintree Hospital last Friday ...

That's awful, Peter. I'm sorry to hear it. Such a difficult trauma to process. I hope typing it out helped you in some way.

I'm glad your dad is now on the mend. Hopefully he makes a very good recovery. You don't mention what caused this medical episode, but I hope it's something than can be treated effectively.

Take care of yourself, and all the very best to your dad.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #8405 on: April 11, 2024, 06:31:01 pm »
Well what a past week i've had. My dad was rushed into Aintree Hospital last Friday after i found him collapsed on his living room floor and was critical for 48 hours, i was shown to the relatives room and given the no resuscitation talk due to his age by the doctors. I've never felt so overwhelmed in that room, a rollercoaster of emotions engulfing me and i was on my own trying to take it all in.

I've had a lot of time to dwell on what happened this past week due to lack of sleep and not being able to concentrate on work. God knows how i carry on now but i've got to find a way.

He's on the mend now but still suffering from delirium which is not nice to see. It's not nice seeing either of your parents in a vulnerable state however likely that is at some point in their lives. I had to type this as a form of therapy as there's not many people i can rant at.
Sorry to hear this Peter. Hope your dad makes a good recovery
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline PeterJM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8406 on: April 11, 2024, 09:06:21 pm »
That's awful, Peter. I'm sorry to hear it. Such a difficult trauma to process. I hope typing it out helped you in some way.

I'm glad your dad is now on the mend. Hopefully he makes a very good recovery. You don't mention what caused this medical episode, but I hope it's something than can be treated effectively.

Take care of yourself, and all the very best to your dad.
I'm not sure what caused him to collapse but he was found to have a water infection caused by previously undiagnosed kidney problems and a high potassium reading so was at an increased risk of a heart attack.He's been suffering with delirium so doesn't remember anything of the collapse or the first few days in hospital.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #8407 on: April 11, 2024, 10:59:17 pm »
I'm not sure what caused him to collapse but he was found to have a water infection caused by previously undiagnosed kidney problems and a high potassium reading so was at an increased risk of a heart attack.He's been suffering with delirium so doesn't remember anything of the collapse or the first few days in hospital.
Water infection did cross my mind going by what you said earlier. I used to be an outreach care worker and I've seen what water infections can do.

All the best to your Dad. A worrying time for you. Take care of yourself. Let us know how he gets on if you will.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline fridgepants

• Main Stander
  • They should let everybody be a giant for a day
« Reply #8408 on: April 12, 2024, 06:11:18 pm »
Sorry to hear that, it must have been traumatic to find him never mind what came next.  is it something that might be alleviated if they sort the infection out?

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #8409 on: April 12, 2024, 06:13:44 pm »
Urinary tract infections can cause terrible hallucinations. The problem with getting UTIs diagnosed in the elderly is that those halluciations are often assumed to be dementia and if nothing is done, a UTI can develop into Sepsis - which can be fatal.

Offline PeterJM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8410 on: April 12, 2024, 10:23:40 pm »
Sorry to hear that, it must have been traumatic to find him never mind what came next.  is it something that might be alleviated if they sort the infection out?
It's started to ease over the last couple of  days and is nowhere near as bad as the first few days after he was admitted to hospital. He was suffering with major confusion, he didn't know where he was, got family members names wrong, he thought he was still working even though he's been retired for 15+ years, asked me why i never took the dog into see him. It just crazy to experience and also very worrying.

Urinary tract infections can cause terrible hallucinations. The problem with getting UTIs diagnosed in the elderly is that those halluciations are often assumed to be dementia and if nothing is done, a UTI can develop into Sepsis - which can be fatal.
The collapse was what hospitalised him, the hallucinations and confusion only started after they began treating him so they classed it as delirium. A very bizarre week all round.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #8411 on: April 16, 2024, 05:28:43 pm »
all the best to you PeterJM, sounds a scary and confusing thing to happen. hopefully now a couple days on it's looking ever better...?
x

Offline PeterJM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8412 on: Yesterday at 02:57:59 pm »
all the best to you PeterJM, sounds a scary and confusing thing to happen. hopefully now a couple days on it's looking ever better...?
x
Cheers Tone.

Things are starting to look a bit brighter but it’s starting to take its toll on me with the decisions I’m being asked to make as I’m his next of kin.I wish my siblings would step up and take some of the weight off me but that’s wishful thinking on my part. I can’t think straight at the moment but there’s much more I need to get off my chest.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:48:14 pm by PeterJM »

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #8413 on: Yesterday at 10:11:29 pm »
Cheers Tone.

Things are starting to look a bit brighter but it’s starting to take its toll on me with the decisions I’m being asked to make as I’m his next of kin.I wish my siblings would step up and take some of the weight off me but that’s wishful thinking on my part. I can’t think straight at the moment but there’s much more I need to get off my chest.

Bless you

I went  through similar, minding my dad in the pandemic. My sisters seemed to be in denial.. and most of the time they weren't allowed to take him off my hands anyway

I've been there. It's shite isn't it mate.

Do voice your needs to your siblings - even if you doubt they will do owt - give them a chance. If they let you down, well, least you tried. You never know, maybe they're struggling to process this - some people just vanish outright mentally when the going gets tough.

You're there though, in the thick of it. You deserve a lot of respect for it.

Stay in there, use this thread, I can tell you from experience you can sound off with aaaaannything :D . .. . this thread can absorb it. You need to take care of you, ysee. I'm sure your dad'll come through this - the earliest symptoms, reading back, just screamed "infection" to me. It's just, I don't envy you, it's a shite place to be, not knowing, being someone's rock, worrying, with a loved one in danger.

Youll come through it. Not making any rash promises here; it might be shit, it might do your head in, it is a shit time. But time proceeds, and how you act here, you'll remember it.

Siblings are a fuckin funny lot at the best of times but you will be able to look back on your own actions here and know you did right. Your dad will appreciate it.

Keep going mate. Sleep when you can. Be good to yourself. But by the same token - don't waste your own time if you feel you could do more, or blame, or playing What If. You're only human.

You're amongst friends here. I'll be looking in. PM me if you ever need to
x