Author Topic: Martin Tyler  (Read 19607 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Martin Tyler
« Reply #80 on: August 5, 2022, 02:03:11 pm »
Of course there was intent.  If he was a foreign journalist or commentator without decades of knowledge and experience of working in English football, then maybe it could have been unintentional.  The onus was on him to get it right.  The fact he said what he said, and there wasn't an instant and sincere apology and embarrassment, shows what he really thinks and that he meant what he said.

Of course there was intent; that's why him claiming there wasn't is bullshit.  "I'm sorry you're sorry" shouldn't be acceptable.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: August 5, 2022, 02:04:26 pm »
The club need to step up now and ban him from the stadium. If Carragher has any backbone left in him at all he'll refuse to work with him going forward. This is unforgivable  :wanker
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline KIFS

• Main Stander
  • Orcs must die!
« Reply #82 on: August 5, 2022, 02:06:25 pm »
Done

Ban him from Anfield

This. His masked finally slipped!  :wanker

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: August 5, 2022, 02:06:41 pm »
The club need to step up now and ban him from the stadium. If Carragher has any backbone left in him at all he'll refuse to work with him going forward. This is unforgivable  :wanker

At the very least the club should issue a statement and say the apology isn't sufficient. He needs to be publicly chastised for this.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #84 on: August 5, 2022, 02:07:05 pm »
Of course there was intent; that's why him claiming there wasn't is bullshit.  "I'm sorry you're sorry" shouldn't be acceptable.

I'm not interested in his apologies anyway. Just keep the biased old twat off our games. He's spoiled a lot of great games for us in recent years with his tepid commentary. He reacts to us scoring a goal like a death in the family
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #85 on: August 5, 2022, 02:07:38 pm »
Storm in a tea cup, I think he’s just worded it clumsily. He does say ‘other’ and ‘as well’. Find it hard to be outraged at that.

Your wrong.

Never should we let Hillsborough be associated ,be it mistakenly , casually or maliciously  with anything other than what it was a crime and cover up by the Establishment.

This generation and the next must stand guard against any possibility of a revisionist approach..there are those out there who would build that...

JFT97

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #86 on: August 5, 2022, 02:08:33 pm »
Tyler is a c*** aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's live.
FAME makes a man take things over

Online Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: August 5, 2022, 02:08:48 pm »
Storm in a tea cup, I think he’s just worded it clumsily. He does say ‘other’ and ‘as well’. Find it hard to be outraged at that.

Oh seriously fcuk off. He blatantly included Hillsborough and hooliganism in the same sentence as like one had something to do with the other. He's an utter cnut and so is anyone defending him.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline NCarolinaRed

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #88 on: August 5, 2022, 02:09:56 pm »
The Club needs to make a statement, acknowledge the apology, but highlight the fact that irresponsible comments like these, 30+ years after the fact, from “well respected” pundits, have contributed to the overall failure to bring justice to those responsible for the death of 97 Liverpool supporters.  And they propagate the smears from other club supporters that continue to this day.  Look at what happened in Paris in real time, FFS.

Follow it up with, you’re no longer welcome at Anfield, you old git. 

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #89 on: August 5, 2022, 02:10:27 pm »
Having just listened to it, I didn't think he was trying to conflate the two things. To my ear the "other" and "as well" sounded like a separator rather than a joiner. But I'm not a language expert.

He knows the two shouldn't be linked.  So, he should have gone out of his way to ensure there was no possibly way people could construe that there's a connection.  But instead he chose the word 'other'.  The two shouldn't be in the same sentence - in case a connection is inferred by the listener.

The thing is I can hear it the other way too, and that's where the problem lies. Tyler is a professional and words are his livelihood. He should know better.

Exactly this.  Remove any ambiguity, by not putting them in the same sentence.  As Red Berry said, the Bradford City fire wasn't mentioned in the same sentence - and there's no way it would have been, as events on the day were completely unrelated to hooliganism.

What I think we can all agree on is that whether he meant to or not, we as fans cannot allow ambiguity to be an excuse. We have to make sure that any and all media are left in no doubt that if we detect even the hint of misrepresentation, we'll come down on them with everything we've got.

Also, there's the apology. It's not an apology. "Sorry you misunderstood me and took it the wrong way" is not an apology. It's weasel words.

If he's really contrite, then I expect a whole piece done by him where he goes to Anfield, speaks to the families of the victims, apologises to them, and highlights how the fans were incorrectly and maliciously blamed  - and they have been completely exonerated from any wrong-doing after decades of campaigning.

That would be a sincere apology, and he'd be less of a c*nt.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #90 on: August 5, 2022, 02:12:42 pm »
I'm not interested in his apologies anyway. Just keep the biased old twat off our games. He's spoiled a lot of great games for us in recent years with his tepid commentary. He reacts to us scoring a goal like a death in the family

Doesn't matter if he's doing our games or other games. If he's spouting that shite, it will influence others' opinions, especially those who are young or from outside the UK, and are unaware of the truth. He needs to apologise, and publicly, and sincerely.

A walk of atonement, Cersi Lannister-style through the streets of Liverpool would be sufficient.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: August 5, 2022, 02:14:42 pm »
Think its reasonable to assume he mis spoke he has since apologized if the interviewer was competent they would have addressed it. Jake humpreys has not.

Media never covers the vile chants we get served against the usual suspects on mass which have vindictiveness as the power source, and the clubs never address their own flat earthers.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2022, 02:16:34 pm by End Product »
No time for caution.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: August 5, 2022, 02:14:43 pm »
Ban the senile fool from Anfield.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: August 5, 2022, 02:15:11 pm »
This is the type of twat who are all slick veneer in their professional life but then forget themselves and make their true feelings known.

Bernie Eccleston
Nelson Piquet
Andy Grey
Ron Atkinson

Racist, sexist, obnoxious twats who think an apology is enough to make amends.

Fuck off Tyler, thank god I never have to listen to him, ever!!

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: August 5, 2022, 02:17:35 pm »
I think this could finish him. He's trending all over Twitter meaning it's reaching a wider audience than just Liverpool fans knowing he's wank. MPs tweeting about it etc. Won't have escaped the club's notice and I hope they lay the law down by refusing entrance to Anfield. Sky would be in a situation then because they'd not be able to use him for most of their most watched games each season.

This is what I want to happen, can we do it contractually though?

Hes a twat and now a liar with that "apology"
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: August 5, 2022, 02:19:40 pm »
Think its reasonable to assume he mis spoke he has since apologized if the interviewer was competent they would have addressed it. Jake humpreys has not.

Media never covers the vile chants we get served against the usual suspects on mass which have vindictiveness as the power source, and the clubs never address their own flat earthers.

It's more than reasonable to assume he meant every word. I don't know what misspoke actually means but in English it's called talking bollocks.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #96 on: August 5, 2022, 02:20:09 pm »
I've raised a complaint and also referenced the Jonathan Goldberg comments on the Adrian Chiles show last year.  The BBC need to get it front and centre with their presenters that this shit needs calling out at the time.

I'm not generally one for "cancel culture" but it's really time that Tyler was moved on.  The mask has slipped with him in that interview.

This is not “cancel culture”. It’s about professional standards - the BBC as well as Tyler.
Mind you, if the presenters were like me, as soon as Tyler opened his gob, they zoned out. Listening to his shite is very difficult at the best of times.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #97 on: August 5, 2022, 02:21:19 pm »
He needs sacking. Simple at that.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: August 5, 2022, 02:22:54 pm »
People are suffering mental health issues to this day because of how they were mendaciously blamed for the horror they witnessed at Hillsborough. 'I'm sorry for any misunderstanding' doesn't begin to be an apology. He knew the truth. If we accept his version of events, he was lazy with the ambivalent construction of his sentence, and that shows he's totally indifferent to the suffering.
Cancel Sky sports. Watch the games on a stream.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #99 on: August 5, 2022, 02:24:01 pm »
Translation, I thought I could slip some snide dig past without people noticing, but have been called out for doing so and will now weasel my way out of it with a typical blame other people non-apology.

What an utter c*nt.

Misunderstanding- we were to blame for not understanding his words. Our fault.
Perhaps if he had said “misrepresented” it would be an apology
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #100 on: August 5, 2022, 02:28:13 pm »

I actually think its reasonable to assume that, as probably the most prominent football commentator in England over the last few decades, he knew exactly what he meant and knew exactly what he was inferring. And also knew that he could say exactly that and then pass it off as 'mis-speaking'. He's a vile, poisonous old c*nt.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #101 on: August 5, 2022, 02:34:29 pm »

It really isn't.  Seriously there are a lot of us on this forum still suffering as a direct result of the Hillsborough Disaster.  Lucky you not feeling outraged at his comments.  For many of us, it's not that simple.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #102 on: August 5, 2022, 02:34:36 pm »
Sounds more like a statement he would have had rehearsed in his head beforehand. He works for someone as a journalist and the word 'Hillsborough' doesnt set alarm bells clanging in his head - he's past it, if he ever had it in the first place.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline lukeb1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: August 5, 2022, 02:36:21 pm »
Paris and the recent Hillsborough slurs are still fresh - he knew what he was at . Billy Hogan has been very diligent in dealing with that , hopefully he gets on to this and the old bastard gets his come upping's .The old I'm not sorry for offending you but I'm sorry you are offended. 

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #104 on: August 5, 2022, 02:39:52 pm »
To be fair, he's an absolute bellend. Someone that stupid could easily fuck up as badly as that.

To be fair, I have to agree with that. Boring, biased commentator that needs to retire, but I think he's just been clumsy with his words. He's apologised immediately.
No need for a witch hunt, unless there is other evidence on him, as it will only reflect badly on LFC supporters as the bigots will be out in force saying it is evidence we 'never move on' and other bull.
At times a bit of moderation is needed. Save your anger for those bigots who really deserve it and are far more explicit in ignoring the evidence and still blaming supporters.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #105 on: August 5, 2022, 02:43:01 pm »
To be fair, I have to agree with that. Boring, biased commentator that needs to retire, but I think he's just been clumsy with his words. He's apologised immediately.
No need for a witch hunt, unless there is other evidence on him, as it will only reflect badly on LFC supporters as the bigots will be out in force saying it is evidence we 'never move on' and other bull.
At times a bit of moderation is needed. Save your anger for those bigots who really deserve it and are far more explicit in ignoring the evidence and still blaming supporters.

I mean if you're wanting evidence of him having some weird vendetta against us as a football club then there's a good twenty years of it.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #106 on: August 5, 2022, 02:46:47 pm »
It's a grade-A twat thing to say. At the very least they should take him off air a bit in a commenting ban. At least for 97 days.

I do believe in giving people second chances but there has to be accountability for shit like this.
Linudden.

Offline norecat

• Kopite
« Reply #107 on: August 5, 2022, 02:52:32 pm »
Whilst I hate living in a world where you have to watch your p's and q's to a ridiculous extent sometimes something does get said that's bang out of order. What Martin Tyler said basically towed the line the officaldom in England trotted out back in 1989. It's as if the enquiries clearing Liverpool fans of any culpability in relation to Hillsborough never happened or are simply ignored in preference to a narrative that has been legally disproved.

When you use Hillsborough and Hooliganism in the same sentence then you are linking the two it's really that simple. Tyler has been educated by the country that has given the world the english language. He knows damn well what he said. The BBC should have pulled him up on it.

The problem we have with highlighting this it is the whole 'always the victim' nonsense that gets peddled about the city of Liverpool and it's people and us as fans. It really is a no win. Personally I think Martin Tyler should be banned from Anfield for life in both a professional and personal capacity. Words have meanings and henceforth can cause damage. If your under 35 there's a good chance you will think Hoolganism led to Hillsborough based on what Martin Tyler said.

These mistruths need to be comprehensively knocked on the head once and for all. Martin Tyler is old enough to know what he said was cobblers and bizarrely still said it. His apology means nothing. He's sorry for getting called out is the extent for his apology.

Online chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #108 on: August 5, 2022, 02:52:37 pm »
When I saw the thread title I was hoping to come in and find that he had announced he was retiring and that we would never have to listen to his shite commentary ever again. Unfortunately what he has said is much, much worse.

I'm afraid I can't see him losing his job over this, but he definitely should.

Ban him from Anfield at the very least.

c*nt.
YNWA - JFT97

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #109 on: August 5, 2022, 03:16:08 pm »
Don’t let that fucking Easter Island headed piece of shit back in the ground 
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #110 on: August 5, 2022, 03:25:51 pm »
“Hillsborough and Hooligan related incidents as well” would be fine, it makes sense as a sentence and ensures he’s not linking the two

By him clearly and unnecessarily adding the word ‘other’ he is absolutely implying by the very definition of the word ‘other’ that he believes they’re linked. His ‘apology’ is condescending to the extreme as well, like we’re in the wrong for misunderstanding him.

He’s a complete and utter fuckwit and I’d very much like the club to ensure he’s never seen at Anfield again

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: August 5, 2022, 03:28:06 pm »
There's no justification for this old c*nt to ever set foot inside Anfield again. It'd be so simple and the correct thing to just ban him from entering the ground.

100% agree. Fucking hate the c*nt

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: August 5, 2022, 03:30:29 pm »

He's a dinosaur and needs binning for that. I thought it was a joke Thommo and co were kicked off Sky but they kept this twat who was well over the hill.

He should have gone around the time Keys and Gray did because he's past it and can't hide his biases.

If he wasn't so blatantly anti Liverpool in his commentary more may give him the benefit of the doubt.

His best defence is being an old dinosaur and getting his words wrong but that's why he shouldn't be on Sky.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: August 5, 2022, 03:42:07 pm »
I’m both in the camp that thinks he was just a fucking idiot for phrasing it the way he did, but also that it’s unforgivable that someone in his position could allow that to happen.

He has always been a prick regardless. if I were Sky I would use this as cover to axe him although the timing rules that out really, unfortunately.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: August 5, 2022, 03:45:59 pm »
I’m both in the camp that thinks he was just a fucking idiot for phrasing it the way he did, but also that it’s unforgivable that someone in his position could allow that to happen.

He has always been a prick regardless. if I were Sky I would use this as cover to axe him although the timing rules that out really, unfortunately.

Baffling how he survived the Thompson/Le Tissier/Charlie Nicholas cull. That was the ideal chance to get rid with Sky using it as an excuse to shake up their coverage and get rid of the old boys.

If he does get the sack though it'll just be used by every other fan as nasty old victims of Liverpool hounding an old legend out of his job.

Just keep him off the big games next season - and all ours - and then quietly cut him loose at the end of the season because he's gone on way too long.

Online deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: August 5, 2022, 03:49:25 pm »
Can we cancel the old c*nt? Scourge to the sport with biased and boring commentary.

Offline dai_bonehead

• Kopite
« Reply #116 on: August 5, 2022, 03:53:39 pm »
You could maybe forgive some people for a mincing of words - although this should still have been challenged and clarified on air at the time.

But the thing is Tyler has been in this game a long long time now, he has a lot of clout and influence, and his job for decades has been one of a professional commentator and indeed the voice of football. In other words his job specifically involves NOT mincing his words.

my thoughts exactly. thank you.

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: August 5, 2022, 04:11:05 pm »
He needs to be put out to pasture. His time in the game has long passed and he won’t be missed.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #118 on: August 5, 2022, 04:25:33 pm »
Use of the word 'other' in that context is the giveaway. Just like bojo, his internal belief has not changed one bit from the narrative peddled by the Establishment for decades.

His mask slipped there and he can fuck off with his weasel apology.

Offline The Cobbler

• Main Stander
« Reply #119 on: August 5, 2022, 04:28:42 pm »
Just listened to the actual interview - it is astonishing that such an experienced broadcaster with his knowledge and experience would say such a thing. Proves that he is either a fool or at best way over the hill - retirement should come instantly for him, if he had any decency.

I've had to listen to his blatant bias and campaigns against us for many years and this is the final straw.  If Sky won't sack him, then LFC should insist that he never sets foot in Anfield again.

Also shame on the BBC - they go totally woke over fuck all but then allow this to go unchallenged on air!