Author Topic: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *  (Read 2819986 times)

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World
« Reply #18640 on: January 16, 2022, 08:38:43 pm »
when these contract negotiations drag on it usually ends one way doesnt it?

if they havent offered him what he wants by now what makes people think that they will? are they hoping Mo will back down on his demands?

Why speculate when we have no clue what’s going on?
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #18641 on: January 16, 2022, 10:29:10 pm »
The Sports editor at the Daily Mirror seems adamant he's leaving anyway. A story yesterday and today that FSG won't be meeting his wage demand.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #18642 on: January 16, 2022, 10:31:26 pm »
The Sports editor at the Daily Mirror seems adamant he's leaving anyway. A story yesterday and today that FSG won't be meeting his wage demand.

They haven't got a clue they're just speculating like they usually do. As long as they are negotiating there is every chance.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #18643 on: January 16, 2022, 10:34:04 pm »
They haven't got a clue they're just speculating like they usually do. As long as they are negotiating there is every chance.

Hopefully, Jill. I have a feeling it's a huge moment in the FSG ownership either way.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #18644 on: January 16, 2022, 10:35:00 pm »
Hopefully, Jill. I have a feeling it's a huge moment in the FSG ownership either way.

Both sides obviously want it to happen, which is why I am still feeling optimistic.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #18645 on: January 16, 2022, 10:40:19 pm »
Yeah me too .
I do wonder if other players have something in their contact that means they get some sort of automatic boost based on Salah contact. Though the club would have been mental to agree to that knowing that Salah was in negotiations.
It's more likely over the length of the contract and the split between guaranteed and bonus payments. The rumours coming out about Salah wanting another striker suggest he's thinking we need to do more in order for him to hit enough bonuses. Mad though that might seem given how amazing her if. He probably knows he needs more breaks to stay on top form.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #18646 on: January 16, 2022, 11:01:28 pm »
The rumours coming out about Salah wanting another striker suggest he's thinking we need to do more in order for him to hit enough bonuses. Mad though that might seem given how amazing her if. He probably knows he needs more breaks to stay on top form.

God knows where this is from - I presume a tabloid or twitter?
If it was true I'd be much more understnading if we stopped negotiations and looked to sell him this summer.
You can't have a player dictating other spending or squad composition, once you start down that road you're fucked

but I suspect its totally untrue

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #18647 on: January 17, 2022, 04:31:03 am »
Huh? Salah request is asking for another signing of attacker along him?

IF... If it's true then what he wants is just an "ambition" being shown by the owner, Fenway Sports Group and some increment of salary. Maybe it's not just about money. Ambition.

Well, as a fan also we would be bored to death IF keep watching Manchester City grabbing every single striker walking on the earth surface.

As a player, every single of Liverpool player also might want to win something and it is ssssoooooo tiring having to compete and playing catch with City week to week.

Players want to win a silverware.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 04:32:50 am by NarutoReds »
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline FLRed67

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18648 on: January 17, 2022, 08:56:57 am »
What? We’re selling Keegan? Our Kev? We’re second tier!

What’s that? Now we’re selling Rush? Rushie? We’re third tier now!

What?? Torres is off? To Chelsea?? Admit it: we’re fourth tier!

Suarez is leaving? Pathetic! Screams fifth tier club!

Salah may be leaving?? Omg! I’m soooo done with this club! Are you happy with sixth tier? Because that’s where we are.

Count ‘em. Go on. First. Second. Third. Fourth. Fifth. Sixth tier.

I used to laugh at Bernie Silver over at City. Bernie, if you’re reading this: I’m sorry. You were right all along. Man, I wish I had had a girlfriend and read a book   .    .     .

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18649 on: January 17, 2022, 09:17:02 am »
If it was true I'd be much more understnading if we stopped negotiations and looked to sell him this summer.
You can't have a player dictating other spending or squad composition, once you start down that road you're fucked

I mean that's true, but also, they should be able to say, 'don't worry Mo, we're definitely going to strengthen the front 3 positions this summer, chill out. We can't have you dictating what we do but trust us.' This is obviously untrue but hypothetically Salah just wants us to do something that is a total no brainer given the ages of him, Firmino and Mane.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18650 on: January 17, 2022, 09:22:18 am »
What? We’re selling Keegan? Our Kev? We’re second tier!

What’s that? Now we’re selling Rush? Rushie? We’re third tier now!

What?? Torres is off? To Chelsea?? Admit it: we’re fourth tier!

Suarez is leaving? Pathetic! Screams fifth tier club!

Salah may be leaving?? Omg! I’m soooo done with this club! Are you happy with sixth tier? Because that’s where we are.

Count ‘em. Go on. First. Second. Third. Fourth. Fifth. Sixth tier.

I used to laugh at Bernie Silver over at City. Bernie, if you’re reading this: I’m sorry. You were right all along. Man, I wish I had had a girlfriend and read a book   .    .     .

Sorry trying to decipher this ramble, are you trying to say we will be fine if the best player in the world is forced out even though he wants to stay because we sold a few players in the past?

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18651 on: January 17, 2022, 09:56:56 am »
Sorry trying to decipher this ramble, are you trying to say we will be fine if the best player in the world is forced out even though he wants to stay because we sold a few players in the past?

Dunno why FLRed meant Suarez when we went completely off a cliff after he left.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18652 on: January 17, 2022, 09:57:54 am »
I see those past examples trotted out time and again re: Salah, but how many of them made it abundantly clear they wanted to stay (and retire) at Liverpool? This is a bit different, isn't it?
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18653 on: January 17, 2022, 09:58:19 am »
Dunno why FLRed meant Suarez when we went completely off a cliff after he left.

Ha I know, like the period between Torres & Suarez was proper filled with years & years of success.

I see those past examples trotted out time and again re: Salah, but how many of them made it abundantly clear they wanted to stay (and retire) at Liverpool? This is a bit different, isn't it?

Absolutely none of them. It is a completely different scenario now.

In the past you had very good players wanting to leave a team struggling to break into top 4

With salah you have the best player in the world wanting to stay at a team which is good enough to compete for the 2 big trophies.

Its almost like people think they sound clever by going against the grain sometimes. We need him to stay because we are a lot weaker without him, and we cannot replace his goals, simple as.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 10:00:07 am by -Willo- »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #18654 on: January 17, 2022, 10:01:09 am »

I think he'll stay but if he doesn't.....forced out? Really? If I go to my boss and ask him to double my salary, far beyond what anyone else is paid, and he says 'Sorry mate, we love you to bits but we just can't afford that' and I choose to leave, that doesn't mean I've been forced out of my job.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18655 on: January 17, 2022, 10:08:13 am »
I think he'll stay but if he doesn't.....forced out? Really? If I go to my boss and ask him to double my salary, far beyond what anyone else is paid, and he says 'Sorry mate, we love you to bits but we just can't afford that' and I choose to leave, that doesn't mean I've been forced out of my job.

If you're on 30% lower than the market rate for someone with your expertise and they refused to match and you then go elsewhere then yeah, I'd say you were forced out.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #18656 on: January 17, 2022, 10:17:11 am »

I agree with this. But Salah being canny has already positioned the PR on this one. He's even mentioned he'd like to end his days at Liverpool.

What I now think is the harsh ruthlessness will fall not on Mo Salah but on both Bobby and Sadio Mané. Salah gets a very generous deal, and when the other two come calling the club will either not want to extend or will make derisory offers.

When it comes to blinking, I don't think FSG can ride the sale of Salah in the fans eyes.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18657 on: January 17, 2022, 10:21:31 am »
If you're on 30% lower than the market rate for someone with your expertise and they refused to match and you then go elsewhere then yeah, I'd say you were forced out.

You'd be wrong then. I'd be making that decision myself, based on a company unable to afford my salary demands. That's on me, showing that money is the most important thing. And frankly, we're not talking normal jobs. We're talking someone already taking home at least £1 million a month.

Oh and as for automatically being the highest paid player in the world if you're the best.....you must know it doesn't work like that? Go back and have a look at the highest paid player over the last few decades, and certainly before Messi I highly doubt the highest paid was the best. Or even close. I'm sure Tevez was the highest paid player in the PL when Suarez was here and Aguero was at his best at City.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18658 on: January 17, 2022, 10:28:07 am »
You'd be wrong then. I'd be making that decision myself, based on a company unable to afford my salary demands. That's on me, showing that money is the most important thing. And frankly, we're not talking normal jobs. We're talking someone already taking home at least £1 million a month.

Oh and as for automatically being the highest paid player in the world if you're the best.....you must know it doesn't work like that? Go back and have a look at the highest paid player over the last few decades, and certainly before Messi I highly doubt the highest paid was the best. Or even close. I'm sure Tevez was the highest paid player in the PL when Suarez was here and Aguero was at his best at City.

We can afford it though, and he's actually asking for less than what he would get elsewhere, he would be on about 600k a week at City, PSG, even Utd (Yikes)

I never said he should be the highest paid player in the world either, I said market rate.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18659 on: January 17, 2022, 10:35:40 am »
We can afford it though, and he's actually asking for less than what he would get elsewhere, he would be on about 600k a week at City, PSG, even Utd (Yikes)

I never said he should be the highest paid player in the world either, I said market rate.

Ahh my apologies I didnt realise I was talking to someone who works high up at the club!

Buzzing then, we can afford it so we'll pay it. We can all chill.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18660 on: January 17, 2022, 10:36:00 am »

I think the best calculation to make is the cost of Salah over four years at 400k a week, people have put that at 75-80 million. Remove that cost and then you have to buy a
replacement. Conservatively, Leeds would want £60 million for Raphinha, perhaps he asks for 80-100k a week.

And then calculate this; looks like Raphinha's goal output is around 50/60% what Salah does. So you lose out there, even if the talented Brazilian settles in straight away.

If FSG want to lose Salah, it looks like false economy.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18661 on: January 17, 2022, 10:43:02 am »

The market rate as paid for by an almost bankrupt club, or the market rate paid by a country/state that has more OIL money than it knows what to do with? What about the market rate for clubs that don't have untold riches?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #18662 on: January 17, 2022, 10:43:38 am »
It's a tough one. Salah is currently the best (or in the top 3 best) players in the world. He'll be well aware that others who aren't close to his ability are getting paid more......much more. There are a couple of clubs who could afford what he wants and they will also be delighted to have the best player playing for them. FSG cannot compete with these owners. Even if they pushed the boat out and competed with the wages that he would get elsewhere then it could result in a big problem......other players in our squad would use Salah as the benchmark and try to up their salaries too. That either leads to a big financial headache or else players who feel undervalued and stop trying.

In reality, we cannot afford the best player in the world and it will be down to Salah to decide if he wants to stay or leave. I think playing under Klopp should not be underestimated and that will have a big bearing on his decision.

If he does decide to leave then we will need to get as much as we can for him and then use this money to bring in two or three players who will strength our first team. That's not as easy as it sounds and I would much rather that Salah stayed.

As great a player that Salah is, he is helped by the other players around him. He could go to another team and not be the same player.

We have to face cold facts. We are not the richest club in the world and we do not have the funds for the best players. We rely on building a great team which is run by a great manager. Salah is world class and could get much more money elsewhere. No matter what FSG offer him, there will be several clubs who could double it and not blink an eyelid (ok they would have to pay him some dodgy way but they will find a way).

Nearly every club has to face up to selling their best players. We benefit from that when we buy good players; sometimes the shoe will be on the other foot and maybe this is one time that it will be.

Salah has been a model professional and has given us the best part of his career. He came to us as a good player and then developed into the best in the world. If we cannot pay what he wants then all we can do is to plan for how we will spend the money.

Oh and I do not for one second want to see him leave but the cold fact is that he could get more money elsewhere.
#JFT97

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18663 on: January 17, 2022, 10:47:09 am »
I think the best calculation to make is the cost of Salah over four years at 400k a week, people have put that at 75-80 million. Remove that cost and then you have to buy a
replacement. Conservatively, Leeds would want £60 million for Raphinha, perhaps he asks for 80-100k a week.

And then calculate this; looks like Raphinha's goal output is around 50/60% what Salah does. So you lose out there, even if the talented Brazilian settles in straight away.

Its not one player though is it? We double Mo's wages, then Ali's agent is banging on the door - he's the best keeper in the world, he savesx  amount of points in a season with his saves, we want the wages. Then Trents agent is in, Trent provides more assists than any player in the league, etc etc etc

We are not City or PSG, we can't just lash hundreds of millions at players like they can
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18664 on: January 17, 2022, 10:53:05 am »
Isn't he already on £250k a week? At that point how much money do you actually want? His family is basically set for life, his kids and grandkids will never go wanting for anything so what is the point of demanding £400k a week (in theory, I have no idea what he has asked for) if we've offered £300k a week? Surely it can't just be down to a pissing contest about who earns what?

And the fact that Liverpool fans of all people are advocating for this behaviour is mental

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18665 on: January 17, 2022, 10:56:49 am »

;D

See that right there is the biggest problem, unfortunately. There's too many fans who are obsessed with creating a civil war with the owners. Why would FSG want to lose Salah? He's our best player, he's our most marketable player, he wins us most points and he's at a point where we'd get nowhere near what he's worth due to the length of his contract. Why do people like you think this is some master plan to sell Salah? Surely they'd have done it 18 months ago if that was the idea.

The only other time in recent history we've extended the contract of someone who was right up there as one of the best in the world was Suarez, and that was a lot easier because he was a loon. Your maths is great, but it doesn't really work like that does it? The truth is no-one here knows what he's asking for, but if its substantially more than anyone else then its not difficult to see how that then has a knock on effect for any new contract discussions we have.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18666 on: January 17, 2022, 10:57:45 am »
Its not one player though is it? We double Mo's wages, then Ali's agent is banging on the door - he's the best keeper in the world, he savesx  amount of points in a season with his saves, we want the wages. Then Trents agent is in, Trent provides more assists than any player in the league, etc etc etc

We are not City or PSG, we can't just lash hundreds of millions at players like they can

That's not guaranteed. Does every player in Messi's team have to have the same wages?

Goalkeepers are not paid the same as world class forwards, not even Donnarumma at PSG.

The contention we have here and many people seem to agree with this is Liverpool cannot afford to have the world's best player, who wants to stay.

I don't agree with this. We can but to do so, we have to make allowances elsewhere; such as Sadio Mané and others can be sold and will not be extended on special terms they would like.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18667 on: January 17, 2022, 11:02:26 am »
That's not guaranteed. Does every player in Messi's team have to have the same wages?

Goalkeepers are not paid the same as world class forwards, not even Donnarumma at PSG.

The contention we have here and many people seem to agree with this is Liverpool cannot afford to have the world's best player, who wants to stay.

I don't agree with this. We can but to do so, we have to make allowances elsewhere; such as Sadio Mané and others can be sold and will not be extended on special terms they would like.

If he wants to stay, he'll stay. Its literally as simple as that. As with Wijnaldum.

If its 'I want to stay but need to earn an even more eye watering amount than I already do if I'm going to' then I think you need to asterisk it. Its a bit like saying I'm happy staying in my marriage as long as the missus lets me have it away with her sister every now and then.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18668 on: January 17, 2022, 11:04:42 am »

Sorry, it seems I made that up. I thought I had read something along those lines here though?
Is there a longer game with FSG? A salary cap makes their investment far better. Do they sell Salah and get the "fifth" best striker in the world for considerably less as a statement that they aren't going to be in the arms race for salaries . A reduced output from whoever comes in, but the calculation is we stay top 4, even though we can't compete with blood money for the title on a regular basis. It does feel a bit Arsenal if that's the case.
The fans might be up in arms, but bring in a 'decent' replacement and I doubt they'll be facing boycotts.  Could depend on how the PR is spun admittedly.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18669 on: January 17, 2022, 11:05:23 am »
Ahh my apologies I didnt realise I was talking to someone who works high up at the club!

Buzzing then, we can afford it so we'll pay it. We can all chill.

So you don't think billionaire owners John Henry and Co cannot afford to give Salah 400k a week?

Completely agree.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18670 on: January 17, 2022, 11:07:47 am »
So you don't think billionaire owners John Henry and Co cannot afford to give Salah 400k a week?

I wasn't aware it was John Henry and co who paid the wages?

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18671 on: January 17, 2022, 11:08:47 am »
If he wants to stay, he'll stay. Its literally as simple as that. As with Wijnaldum.

If its 'I want to stay but need to earn an even more eye watering amount than I already do if I'm going to' then I think you need to asterisk it. Its a bit like saying I'm happy staying in my marriage as long as the missus lets me have it away with her sister every now and then.

hmm, Alerternately the analogy is you could stay in your marriage, or you could go marry your sister in law who will let you have it away with her sister.

I know these are obscene amounts of money we are talking about, but unless it's your boyhood club, there's little reason to be loyal. Yes we've seen moves fail, but how does Salah feel the fans of PSG will feel about him if they go there. They'll love him whilst he wins stuff for them. He'd be a club legend if he stays here, but when he's hung up his boots. What's that really worth to him? (or anyone, not suggesting he's a money grabber)

--edit-- and would he feel better if he'd made enough money at PSG to open a dozen more hospitals or whatever?

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18672 on: January 17, 2022, 11:09:35 am »
I wasn't aware it was John Henry and co who paid the wages?

Oh sorry, the football club who's owned by them**!!!

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18673 on: January 17, 2022, 11:10:39 am »
Oh sorry, the football club who's owned by them**!!!

Quite an important distinction when their whole ownership is based on the club being self sufficient, isn't it?

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18674 on: January 17, 2022, 11:15:52 am »
Quite an important distinction when their whole ownership is based on the club being self sufficient, isn't it?

How do we become self sufficient, is it by competing at the top, where all the money is?

With that, do we get Champions League without Mo Salah last year? Do we fuck

If they sold the club now they'd make about 10x their investment back, we're in a healthy position, and as a fan I want to compete for the biggest trophies in the world, you do that by paying the market rate for the best players in the world when they want to be at your club. Don't know how anyone could defend the owners if he goes to be honest.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 11:18:18 am by -Willo- »

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18675 on: January 17, 2022, 11:21:34 am »
Isn't he already on £250k a week? At that point how much money do you actually want? His family is basically set for life, his kids and grandkids will never go wanting for anything so what is the point of demanding £400k a week (in theory, I have no idea what he has asked for) if we've offered £300k a week? Surely it can't just be down to a pissing contest about who earns what?

And the fact that Liverpool fans of all people are advocating for this behaviour is mental

Spot on post.

:thumbup
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18676 on: January 17, 2022, 11:28:52 am »
How do we become self sufficient, is it by competing at the top, where all the money is?

With that, do we get Champions League without Mo Salah last year? Do we fuck

If they sold the club now they'd make about 10x their investment back, we're in a healthy position, and as a fan I want to compete for the biggest trophies in the world, you do that by paying the market rate for the best players in the world when they want to be at your club. Don't know how anyone could defend the owners if he goes to be honest.

And again, and again, this is the problem.

You're obsessed with taking that stance. If Mo has asked for a slight wage increase and we've told him to do one, then sure. If he's asked for £600k a week, you're going to blame the owners if he goes? You have absolutely fuck all idea what his position is and what our position is. So how on earth can you take a position that the owners are 'undefendable' if he decides to leave? It was the same when we 'forced Wijnaldum out' and he was forced to take £300k a week at PSG after reneging on his deal to join Barca. The poor little lamb.

And we have paid the market rate for the best players in the world. We've paid it for the best GK in the world, the best RB in the world, the best CB in the world, the best LB in the world and the best DM in the world. Its the most important contract of the lot, its probably why its taking longer and I'm still pretty confident he'll stay. But yours and others position just shows your wider desire to make it a more toxic atmosphere(I suspect also the underlying desire to be taken over by a mega rich owner who will lob billions at us but its something you'll never admit). Your immediate reaction is essentially 'fucking John Henry' which is really no better than twitter virgins.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #18677 on: January 17, 2022, 11:32:48 am »
Spot on post.

:thumbup

As much as I want to agree, if you aren’t being paid what you’re worth, whether your a postie or a CEO, you’re more than entitled to ask your employers to pay up or you’ll move on.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18678 on: January 17, 2022, 11:37:42 am »
No footballer is worth £2 million a month. I'm sorry. That's a mentality that's destroying football. The market rate has been completely distorted by a couple of clubs with limitless resources - and a few fools who are trying to keep up.

Mo is the best footballer in the world at the minute and seems a great lad, no question - but the same heads that are saying pay him what he wants are also in the transfer forum screaming to pay whatever it takes to get whichever flavour of the month liked an instagram post yesterday.

Barcelona are the case in point here. They paid Messi a million a week - everyone else in the squad accepts they aren't Messi but suddenly they think that's the market rate so I must be worth 500k a week or half a Messi. It's absolutely stupid.  Who's going to tell Virg, or Trent, or Mane they aren't worth half a Mo.

It's not my money - but I can remember the things we said after the campaign to get rid of H&G - we just wanted the chance to be a viable business with a bit of savvy in the upper echelons of the club. And look at us now - best manager in the world, best player in the world, kept a squad together for the first time since the 80s, a helluva ride for 7 years now. And all done with feet firmly in some kind of reality.

I can accept that for the best player in the world that reality has shifted a bit. But we aren't being scabby if we say we can't spend it. 

Mo says he wants to retire here - I hope so, and I hope to fuck he stays - but not at the cost of upsetting everything. It's not just 'up to the club' - he's not a passive partner in this. Personal happiness, or collecting capital - make the choice, you're set for life either way.  Sometimes you can't have both and you don't get to say you're the victim.

Probably sounds a bit ranty - not aimed at anyone, not even aimed at Mo to be honest, I love him - but man, football is depressing. All we do is sit around talking about is money these days.   

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18679 on: January 17, 2022, 11:38:00 am »
As much as I want to agree, if you aren’t being paid what you’re worth, whether your a postie or a CEO, you’re more than entitled to ask your employers to pay up or you’ll move on.

Guess he better just move on then, because there's no way FSG are paying him the "market value" and neither should they.

No footballer is worth £2 million a month. I'm sorry. That's a mentality that's destroying football.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 11:39:56 am by Sudden Death Draft Loser »
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "