Author Topic: Not quite so 'Super' League  (Read 525109 times)

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Breakaway Super League... The Times
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2021, 03:14:28 pm »
Lose respect in any Liverpool fan who thinks this is a good idea (which counts for a lot I know)

Same here.

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2021, 03:15:02 pm »
I can remember these kind of rumblings since the 90s, it'll be interesting to see why/if this one has legs when the others amounted to nothing.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2021, 03:15:31 pm »
I'm sure City/PSG caused the other clubs some consternation, but the big draw for the English clubs is financial.  The ability to have more say on league matters (proportional to the money brought in) has probably been a source of frustration.  You look at the rest of the league's attitude towards things like 5 subs or a winter break, and you can see what the response would be if clubs like Liverpool or Manchester United wanted more freedom to sign their own deals to stream some matches, or to have more control over how TV money is distributed, or to have more control in general given the financial implications (like CL qualifying and the money that comes with that).

Don't know if this will lead to anything, but it's no surprise the big clubs are constantly talking about this closed shop where they get to make the rules.  It's money and selfishness unfortunately.  The UK press often likes to pin it on foreign ownership (especially American), but it's not like it doesn't apply to British owners also.  You look at Karren Brady talking about null and void last year (when West Ham were fighting relegation) and Steve Parish talking about not bailing out lower league clubs, and it's the same concept of selfishness as those have serious financial implications.  The rest of the clubs in the league also want control over financial matters, which makes sense from their perspective.  The top clubs see them as benefiting from the top clubs' appeal and success without letting the top clubs have enough say.  The rest of the clubs see the top clubs as selfish and constantly wanting to close doors.

It never had to get to this point, but it's hardly surprising that we're here.
King Kenny.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2021, 03:15:51 pm »
Lose respect in any Liverpool fan who thinks this is a good idea (which counts for a lot I know)

We as a club and fan base aren't even respected on this land mate.  When you have dickhead clubs who are no where near us thinking they can abuse us, nah not having that.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2021, 03:16:41 pm »
Why? Don't care for that Super League much but fuck UEFA.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2021, 03:17:01 pm »
Fucking hate the concept of this new super league, but also despise the format changes to the CL, so whatever gives us the most cash, just go with that. Don't care anymore.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2021, 03:17:20 pm »
If it happens, I want Liverpool to be in it rather than be on the outside looking in. Simple.

Things change. You need to adapt or get left behind. Such is life.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2021, 03:17:27 pm »
I can remember these kind of rumblings since the 90s, it'll be interesting to see why/if this one has legs when the others amounted to nothing.

You would think the fact that UEFA caved into the FFP fight with City is a pretty big flashpoint. The moment they tamely gave in was an invititation for something like this to materialise. It was a stupid thing to do by UEFA, they failed football in that moment.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2021, 03:17:51 pm »
possibly a tactic just to get a better deal as it already stands with uefa?
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2021, 03:18:08 pm »
We as a club and fan base aren't even respected on this land mate.  When you have dickhead clubs who are no where near us thinking they can abuse us, nah not having that.

I don’t get this opinion on, the fans who disrespect us the most will be in the same league bar the bitters.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2021, 03:18:22 pm »
The worst part of these plans are that we'd still have to play in the corrupt Premier League.

You can't expect these clubs that have lost hundreds of millions in a pandemic to sign up for a CL dominated by oil rich clubs who are able to absorb the losses and UEFA have enabled to take the piss,
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2021, 03:18:47 pm »
Trading everything football is about for the sake of billion pound clubs making even more money? Because our fans get shit on Twitter? Make it make sense

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2021, 03:19:47 pm »

Why are you arsed if people who aren’t Liverpool supporters don’t respect us? And why are you using it as justification for this clearly horrible idea? Have a word with yourself.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2021, 03:19:49 pm »
You would think the fact that UEFA caved into the FFP fight with City is a pretty big flashpoint. The moment they tamely gave in was an invititation for something like this to materialise. It was a stupid thing to do by UEFA, they failed football in that moment.
I don't think that had much to do with it. Clubs want more money and control, it's been like this for decades not matter who's owned the clubs

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2021, 03:20:22 pm »
The worst part of these plans are that we'd still have to play in the corrupt Premier League.

You can't expect these clubs that have lost hundreds of millions in a pandemic to sign up for a CL dominated by oil rich clubs who are able to absorb the losses and UEFA have enabled to take the piss,

The CL isn’t dominated by the oil rich clubs, it’s dominated by the traditional status quo who have always done so, Liverpool Madrid Bayern.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2021, 03:20:23 pm »
These threats by FIFA and UEFA about banning players from their competitions is nothing more then a bluff.  They'll figure out a way to get those players into their competitions because it's the best players in the world playing for the clubs who are going to be playing in this new league.  Without those players the competitions will lose countless millions in revenue.

Yep, good luck with sponsors, selling tickets, viewing figures etc if you've banned Van Dijk, Messi, Alisson, De Bruyne etc etc from turning up.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2021, 03:20:27 pm »
12 Clubs signed up so far

Manchester United
Liverpool
Manchester City
Arsenal
Chelsea
Tottenham
FC Barcelona
Real Madrid
Atletico Madrid
Inter Milan
AC Milan
Juventus

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2021, 03:20:58 pm »
The only thing I could think of is it'll make anyone else finishing in the Top 4/Top 6 almost impossible, and essentially meaningless if they're not invited to this league even if they do (I don't know if there'll be promotions and relegations from the ESL though)

Oh right, yeah. Still though, the league would still be a heck of a lot more attractive from a financial point of view for those clubs if the best teams were still in it.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2021, 03:21:13 pm »
12 Clubs signed up so far
Congrats on winning the 2022 Champions League Bayern/PSG.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2021, 03:21:55 pm »
I don't think that had much to do with it. Clubs want more money and control, it's been like this for decades not matter who's owned the clubs

Not saying money and control isn't part of it as well, but UEFA hugely annoyed a lot of clubs on the back of that, then the suspenion of FFP on top of that was just another justification for those clubs.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2021, 03:22:00 pm »
Grim idea fuelled by money as usual.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2021, 03:22:19 pm »
Trading everything football is about for the sake of billion pound clubs making even more money? Because our fans get shit on Twitter? Make it make sense

Lol this ain't just social media that has just amplified everything. We're respected more out in Europe than in these isles.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2021, 03:22:36 pm »
Congrats on winning the 2022 Champions League Bayern/PSG.

And congrats on us not being able to say 6 times anymore, it’s actually City and PSG fans who will have the most to jubilate about, the games basically on reset.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2021, 03:23:12 pm »
Not saying money and control isn't part of it as well, but UEFA hugely annoyed a lot of clubs on the back of that, then the suspenion of FFP on top of that was just another justification for those clubs.
They've been pushing this forever and invited City because they bring money. It's a crap justification if they want to use that

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2021, 03:23:19 pm »
Said in the other thread I think it’s just a bluff since the CL vote is tomorrow that they all negotiated for and agreed to.  The BuLi teams will never join since they would need their fans to vote for it.  Pretty sure both Barca and Madrid are the same where the socios need to vote for it as well.  Then there’s the small problem that they’d be fucking over the teams in their league that they supposedly will still play in.  Yeah, sure....

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2021, 03:23:43 pm »
City have signed up, PSG eventually will. It's the 2 big German clubs that need persuading.

Offline ljycb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2021, 03:24:07 pm »

And supported by far too many Reds for my liking.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2021, 03:24:32 pm »
And congrats on us not being able to say 6 times anymore, it’s actually City and PSG fans who will have the most to jubilate about, the games basically on reset.
Well did we win #1 or #19 last season?

We won the CL 6 times, no one could take it. If the Super League will start and the reported teams would take part of it, the CL is finished and the Super League is the new top continental competition.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2021, 03:27:20 pm »
Mohamed Bouhafsi
@mohamedbouhafsi
🚨 In the coming hours, 12 very big European clubs (the 3 Spanish, the 3 Italians and the English clubs) should formalize the creation of a European Superleague. In its first version there are no French and German clubs. War with UEFA.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2021, 03:27:44 pm »
Aren’t the owners/guys at top of PSG and Bayern really close to UEFA? Think they’ll see how this plays before jumping ship.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2021, 03:29:19 pm »
City and PSG are invited.

I wish other clubs (and their fans) would actually take a stand against teams owned by human rights abusers purely to sportswash, that I’d be fully on board with. The fact they all, Liverpool included, are absolutely fine with it, annoys me more than anything in football these days.

Otherwise, all this shite wiht different CL formats and super leagues, absolute shit show all of it. So much wrong with football at the top level as it is, so yeah, lets add more to the pile of nonsense.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2021, 03:30:51 pm »
Well did we win #1 or #19 last season?

We won the CL 6 times, no one could take it. If the Super League will start and the reported teams would take part of it, the CL is finished and the Super League is the new top continental competition.

The premier league is continuation of the old first division, the Cl is a continuation of the old European league, the new super league isn’t the same, it’s nepotism bullshit where the founding clubs have permanent entry to regardless of performance.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: April 18, 2021, 03:31:41 pm »
Looks like either way football will be changing for the worse over the next few years. It's already a shadow of what it once was, with UEFA letting Manchester City undermine them and FFP and VAR sucking the life out of the game.

The people in charge and the people with money are destroying the game. It's such a shame.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: April 18, 2021, 03:32:49 pm »
Lol this ain't just social media that has just amplified everything. We're respected more out in Europe than in these isles.
Well one we don't play them often enough for any type of animosity to start, two we wouldn't even be aware if they did hate us. Three our fans have been physically attacked by other European fans in very recent memory

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: April 18, 2021, 03:35:29 pm »
Well one we don't play them often enough for any type of animosity to start, two we wouldn't even be aware if they did hate us. Three our fans have been physically attacked by other European fans in very recent memory
4) The clubs whose fanbases despise and disrespect us will be in the same super league with us minus Everton.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: April 18, 2021, 03:35:31 pm »

It's shite.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Online Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #116 on: April 18, 2021, 03:41:46 pm »
90% of me is disgusted in this, 10% of me is sound, fuck the FA, Uefa, and every other premier League team, we owe them fuck all

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #117 on: April 18, 2021, 03:43:26 pm »
90% of me is disgusted in this, 10% of me is sound, fuck the FA, Uefa, and every other premier League team, we owe them fuck all

we’d still be playing in the league though.

the whole thing is a shit show, driven by greed as usual.

Football is eating itself at the highest level in Europe. 

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: April 18, 2021, 03:44:12 pm »
4) The clubs whose fanbases despise and disrespect us will be in the same super league with us minus Everton.
Exactly

It's not even particularly true that everyone hates us anyway. There's a lot of people that do, but only in the same way that there's a lot of people that hate United. And that's because all around the country we're maybe only behind United in being people's first or second club. It's quite ridiculous to make out we're this hated entity while being one of the most popular teams in the country and the world... I would prefer to be hated than be irrelevant, than be an Everton

I mean fuck, we could easily be the Everton of this new competition. Our owners wouldn't give a flying fuck. Laughing their arses to the bank while the integrity of European and domestic football goes to hell.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #119 on: April 18, 2021, 03:45:51 pm »
Reduced number of games a season, bigger cut of the money generated......more cost for the aways granted, but it will even itself out with effectively no European cup competition, so whats not to like?.............
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family