Author Topic: Supporting Jurgen Klopp and the team through this injury ravaged season  (Read 65761 times)

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
It is simply beyond me as a supporter to comprehend how anyone who knows the merest thing about this game of ours can expect the repeatedly makeshift sides we've been forced to field all season to perform with any consistency to the level we all crave and have been privileged to witness over the previous three high octane seasons.

It is simply not possible.

The fact we are still somehow so reasonably well placed in both Premier League and Champions league in the face of the unparalleled adversity is a credit to Klopp and his staff and the players we have been able to field. Indeed, a real bonus at this moment which we should not be taking as much for granted as some of our followers seem to be.

I have followed this club since the days of the Boys pen in the late '50's and I can assure everyone on this board that this is not simply the worst injury crisis the club has ever experienced, it is two or three times worse than anything I recall and has wrought havoc with the team in a way I've never seen before.

How Jurgen has still managed to keep the show moreorless on the road I'm buggered if I know. I recall Shanks in the late '60's bemoaning bitterly that an early season injury to Alec Lindsey which forced Shanks to play Gordon Milne at left back was the difference between Liverpool winning the league and finishing behind the eventual champions.

One fucking long term injury!!! One!!!

God knows what the next four months holds in store - and who would put it past this team to still surprise us all - but for goodness sake let's all remember the stark reality of this season. That we have been well and truly fucked left, right and centre and that Klopp and the team need us to as supporters to stand firm and show our support in the only manner we currently can - which is on these godforsaken message boards.

And just as a reminder to everyone who might think I'm merely making excuses I'm re-posting Keyop's brilliant analysis from just a week or so ago of exactly where we've been fucked right, left and centre. And bear in mind that since he wrote it we've gone on to lose three more world class players in Sadio, Fabinho and Allison - hopefully for a short term.

Eat your fucking heart out Shanks, my all time hero. You really think you were unlucky back then!! You really didn't know you were born mate  :)

KEYOP'S POST

After a dominant and scintillating demolition of Hodgson’s Palace, the media, fans, bookmakers, players and manager were indicating that all was good with Liverpool FC, and this could be a successful title defence that all the injuries and misfortune couldn’t alter - just as a pandemic couldn’t stop us last year.

Fast forward a mere 5 weeks and 5 premier league games, and the narrative seems very different. We’re no longer odds on favourites, our biggest rivals are top of the league and 6 points ahead of us, the injuries and the last 2 seasons have caught up with us, and the media, players and even Jurgen himself are no longer expressing the positivity of our pre-Christmas position. We haven’t become like this overnight or by chance, but judging by the way some fans are reacting, it would certainly seem that way. Questions about individual players, the manager, the owners, and the perceived lack of investment show that some people can swing from believers to doubters in a much shorter space of time than it took Klopp to convince us otherwise.

Like many other fans, I thought Palace was the turning point – a message to the rest of the league that we won’t give up without a fight, and that we are still the best team in the league. What has happened since is far more complex and nuanced than the media will have us believe, and isn’t just down to losing key players, some players being off form, a run of bad luck, or inconsistent VAR decisions. It’s all of these and much more, and we’ve seen it all played out on the pitch over the last 6 months.

This thread is about why we are in our current position, and what we can do to get out of it. I’m tired of reading lists of players that will solve everything for us, or players that we need to sell, or players that can’t be arsed, or what Jurgen is doing wrong - anyone peddling that on here has clearly been asleep since 2017 and forgotten that we were top on Christmas day.

Our last 5 games makes for difficult reading. A sequence of P5 W0 D3 L2 and 3 points is our worst run in a very long time, against opposition we despatched with clockwork regularity in the last 2 seasons. It’s also coincided with other teams putting together more consistent runs, and displacing us from 1st to 4th (and possibly down to 5th if Everton win on Wednesday). However, there are plenty of signs that all is not lost – our underlying numbers are still good, we are creating the chances, and as bad as this 5 game sequence looks - it does contain clean sheets and only 3 goals conceded - which may sound like clutching at straws, but at least shows we’re not being breached very often and nor have we had any collapses like the 7-2 at Villa. Our defensive woes are creating all sorts of issues further forward, but they are not resulting in Alisson picking the ball out of the net any more often than last season – and certainly not since we lost Virgil and Gomez.

Losing our home record is disappointing but it was always going to happen at some point. A win against Burnley last week and suddenly its corner turned, home record preserved, and onto Utd today to get our momentum going again. Fine margins. A home 1-0 loss to Burnley would also have seemed much less of an issue in amongst a few wins. Clearly losing the best defensive pairing in the world isn’t the only issue, any more than buying a centre back would solve all our problems (although I do think a new CB is a big part of the overall solution - at least in the short-medium term).

I posted the summary below in another thread before the Burnley game, and that thread quickly descended into the usual kneejerk hyperbole that is sadly as predictable as night turns to day for some of our fan base. I’d argue that the challenges faced by Klopp and our squad are unlike anything any of us have seen before, and the chain reaction of events since that fateful day at Goodison Park have created a set of circumstances, patterns, and dilemmas that even a coach like Klopp can’t easily fix.

Virgil gets injured, so we play Matip with Gomez. No doubt a drop in quality, but manageable and still one of the best pairings in the league. We lose Virgil’s arial dominance at both ends of the pitch.

Thiago gets injured – just after we’d seen him break the PL record for most passes and pass accuracy in his first 45 minutes versus Chelsea. We were great without him, but no doubt a big blow to Klopp and the team who would’ve been excited at the prospect of him taking us to the next level.

Gomez gets injured so we play Fabinho with Matip. The defensive line moves back, and the midfield move back. We lose the pace of Virgil and Gomez, who were both great at bringing it out of defence and setting up attacks. Lets also not forget that those two seemed to forge an almost telepathic understanding over the last 2 seasons – something that is irreplaceable in any team.

Jota gets injured – an astute signing that very few of us expected, who added a different dimension to our attack, allowed us to rotate the forwards, and scored vital goals. His absence has been felt as much as anyone.

Trent and Robertson become more risk-averse as they know Matip and Fabinho don’t have the recovery pace, so don’t bomb forward as much – even if Henderson has the legs to help cover both sides.

The front 3 see less overlapping attacks from the fullbacks, and play is slower with more touches taken and a little indecisiveness creeping in as the team slowly adjusts to the situation. Our speed in transition has dropped significantly, and the fearless runs forward where we overwhelmed the opposition just aren't there due to the necessary adjustments we've made all over the pitch.

With less threat from our full backs, Mane and Salah drift out wide more often, where they’re perfectly capable of beating their man, but are far less of a goal threat.

Our press is nowhere near as effective without Fabinho and Henderson playing in midfield, which gives the opposition more time on the ball and more time to regain their shape when they've lost possession. They are two of the fittest , most versatile, and positionally-aware midfielders in Europe, and the drop in quality to Keita, Ox, Milner or Jones is massive.

The opposition adjust to our new situation - instead of having to deal with our front 3, plus our full backs and a midfielder marauding forward (a 6-man attack at times), opposition defences can start to play narrower, creating a wall for us to get through, and less gaps for us to break the lines. We often resort to deep crosses from the fullbacks or Henderson to mitigate this, which are far easier to defend against.

Matip gets injured again, and whilst we initially played untested players at CB earlier in the season, Klopp pairs Henderson with Fabinho for some stability. Our defensive line drops even deeper due to the lack of pace to deal with counter attacks, which naturally pulls our midfield back. Without Thiago we lack a complete midfield controller. Without Henderson covering every blade of grass, some gaps start to appear in our shape. Our position on the pitch during games is often markedly different to last season where we compressed the play, forced mistakes and regained possession high up the pitch which led to so many goals.

Without both Henderson and Fabinho, our midfield and attacking shape changes. Players like Kieta and Ox are in and out of the team due to injury or form, and Wijnaldum plays virtually every game and can’t do it all himself. Jones had showed great promise early on but will need time to settle and find consistency. Players like Minamino and Origi show glimpses but can’t step up to fill the gap in quality. Shaqiri looks a stronger option but hasn’t got the consistency of fitness or form to be a guaranteed long-term solution.

With so many injuries and so many changes to our line-ups, our rhythm inevitably drops and our form is affected. The speed of our play is slower and there is a hesitancy in some of our moves, players start misplacing passes, with the front often 3 snatching at chances and receiving the ball in less dangerous positions.

There is unfamiliarity between players right across the pitch. They might see each other every day in training, but nothing compares to a competitive match for team chemistry and understanding. Players that would see familiar teammates next to them are seeing different faces, players out of position, players making runs they’re not used to, and with all due to respect to some of them - players that are of a lower quality. Wijnaldum has played with just about every possible different combination of players already and doesn't have Fabinho and Henderson beside him. Midfielders coming back from injury or poor form are trying to replicate a system that has an energy and ability they can't match, and they no longer have the fullbacks as a regular attacking outball, and are drawn deeper to protect the defence. Firmino's role is less clear, as he's torn between playing deeper or making runs, and he sees Mane/Salah out wide more often and marked more closely. Mane/Salah are missing the benefits of a high defensive line and a midfield press that saw them regularly receive the ball in transition with the opposition completely out of shape and red shirts swarming into the box.

The psychological effects of seeing teammates have season-ending or medium-term injuries cannot be understated – especially when its our best players who were instrumental to everything we’ve achieved under Klopp. These are mentality monsters but also human beings. The media, fans, players, and even Klopp himself have adopted a more downbeat tone recently, with Klopp in particular looking off form and a bit spiky in front of the camera. He remains a great leader and coach, but there's no doubt this has all taken its toll on him and the players, and he must be gutted to see all the hard work of the last few years be undone by so many injuries to key players.

The lack of fans is also a massive factor for us, and whilst this is the same situation for all clubs, there's no doubting the difference we make in the stands, and the connection we create with the manager and players when they need a lift. To make matters worse, opposition players and the officials aren't experiencing the power of Anfield, which we know down the years plays a big part in how games turn out. Just ask Messi.

Add in other short term injuries (Alisson, Trent, Milner, Tsimikas, Fabinho, Henderson), plus the VAR inconsistencies that have impacted us (and benefited our rivals), plus players having/recovering from Covid, and it’s been a fairly traumatic 6 months for the whole club. The players are also no doubt carrying some mental and physical fatigue from the herculean efforts of the last 2-3 seasons.

I've highlighted in bold what we've faced, which is unlike anything I've ever seen. These aren’t excuses for our current position. They are the reasons. Anyone in doubt about player quality, motivation, effort, or form simply needs to read all of statements in bold and ask themselves what would happen at other clubs under the same circumstances.

People slagging off individual players need to remember we were top on Christmas day and this is arguably the first difficult patch any of these players have hit in 3 seasons. Those suggesting we need to dismantle the team, or sell key players who might be past their peak are overlooking the fact that we’d probably be well clear of the pack again without the issues we’ve faced. We added Thiago and Jota as the cherry on the cake after last season, and with those two plus a fully fit squad we’d be unstoppable. People slagging off our 'tight' owners for not buying more players need to go for a walk in Stanley Park and look at that beautiful main stand. Go to Kirkby and see our state-of-the-art new training complex, check out the plans for the new Anfield Road stand, and remember it was FSG that brought Klopp to the club in the first place. Expecting owners to be devoted, charitable football lovers is naive in the extreme - this isn't the 1980's, and football has been on this financial trajectory for over 3 decades now. We’re also in the middle of a pandemic, which is a financial caveat that cannot be ignored.

I do wonder if Utd being top is more of a factor for some fans, and if we’d had this poor run and it was City, Leicester, or Spurs top of the league, perhaps there would be a little more calm and less knee jerking. Taking into account all of the factors listed above we’re doing incredibly well to still be in the hunt. It's not even halfway for us yet, and as we’ve seen with other teams – the table is so compressed and unpredictable that you can go from mid-table to top (or from top to 7th/8th) in a short space of time this season, so if we can find solutions to some of the above issues then we have every chance of number 20 this year.

It won’t be easy and might not happen overnight, but we are a club that always triumphs in the face of adversity like no-one else can, and keeps on fighting no matter what. Klopp, his staff and these players will find solutions and the form and results will return. Thiago is finding his feet, Jota is on his way back, and we might still buy a CB this transfer window. It’s unlikely that we will get the same bad luck and injuries in the second half of the season, and more likely that other teams might have similar issues (De Bruyne and Vardy out for 4-6 weeks shows that no team is indestructible). There is also no doubting that City, Leicester, Utd and Spurs are far more reliant on one or two individual players than we are, and I’d argue that Utd are a Fernandez injury away from a collapse – just like city with Laporte last season.

So where do we go from here – buy a CB? Change the formation? Go heavy metal and play risk/reward football until May? Or stick where we are and play our way back into form and out of this situation?

We are only 18 games in and a lot can (and will) change for us, and for all the other teams over the coming months. This is arguably the biggest test Klopp and these players have faced, but I have complete faith that they will find a way. As always with this wonderful club, when we’re in the middle of the storm we will always walk on until we find the golden sky.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=346846.0

« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 02:18:20 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Supporting the team through this injury ravaged season
« Reply #1 on: February 6, 2021, 07:23:37 am »
I've split this to create it's own thread. Not just because of the fantastic points and wisdom, but because this seasons journey is far from over.

Great stuff Timbo and keyop.

« Last Edit: February 6, 2021, 06:57:08 pm by John C »

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #2 on: February 6, 2021, 07:37:12 am »
Time to circle the wagons.

Up the mighty fucking Reds!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1LSewbS5eQI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1LSewbS5eQI</a>
« Last Edit: February 6, 2021, 07:39:06 am by ScouserAtHeart »
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: February 6, 2021, 07:40:42 am »
We have supported the team through much darker times, through Hodgson's reign, through H&G. There was time when Top 4 was the ever elusive prize we aimed for. The fact that despite all that has gone on this season, we are still in Top 4 position and in Knockouts of CL is pretty good in my book.

Considering what the Team has delivered in past 3 seasons, the expectations are very high now, but no team can keep up that level of performance forever. You do get the natural cycles in teams. If you look at City last year they suffered something similar. Ferguson's United also had a bad year every 3-4 years, but back then the competition was a lot weaker. 

I fully trust Klopp, players and the support team to turn this around soon.

Offline Gray Hamster

• Not bong eyed but quite fond of little furry things.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 6, 2021, 08:55:15 am »
Yes as frustrating as it is to know that if we had a ‘normal’ season of injuries, we’d probably have walked the league. It’s turned out to be a freak campaign so far and we just have to accept it.

I also agree that the lack of fans in stadiums has impacted out club more than most.   Our 12th man has not been around.   There are a number of teams in the league that it has helped big time, under the grand scheme of things.

The team will not lose any of my support because i get it.....

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #5 on: February 6, 2021, 09:25:41 am »
Great that this thread has been started. We have been lucky over the past few seasons to witness a team that has set new standards of excellence. They have given us unbelievable highs and memorable nights. We all had high hopes going into this season, but none of us new the unprecedented set of circumstances we would be forced to face, the endless injuries, crazy decisions going against us. If any team in our club's great history deserve some slack, its this one. Numerous things are being written in the national media at the moment, but let's ignore it and get behind this manager and this team. Every single game, we have virtually picked up a new injury, yet somehow we are still in a top four placing. How many other teams would be able to do such a feat? At a time like this we need a bit of perspective when things go wrong, nothing wrong with being disappointed but let's remember how Klopp has had to fight so many fires this season. We live in strange times at the moment, football is not the same sport for many especially without the fans. But this team need our support now, so let's get behind them starting on Sunday.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #6 on: February 6, 2021, 09:30:20 am »
Brilliant and much needed thread.

There is a way to go yet this season. And even though I admit to largely giving up hope of two consecutive titles after Brighton, I am still 100% behind this team and behind this manager. How can you not be after the last 3 years?

The fact that we were (are?) even still in for contention for the title despite the myriad of injuries and the tactical and psychological knock on effects as brilliantly explained in that Keyop post, is testament to Klopp, this squad and all the associated stuff behind scenes.

If we beat City on Sunday I will still hold out some hope for the title this season. And even if we don´t, I know that this manager and this squad will bounce back next season. And we still have another Big Ears to go for  ;)

Despite this blip, it remains a privilege to be a Red right now. It is just a shame that with no fans in the stadiums and the pubs, all the reactions to this blip have been played out purely across the reactionary cess-pit of the internet, which thrown in the added mix of quarantine and associated increase in screen time, is like the internet on steroids.

I am sure Klopp and the team know this. And I hope we can continue to show our gratitude when we are back.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 6, 2021, 10:41:00 am »
 :wellin :scarf

Online na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 6, 2021, 10:44:49 am »
great post thanks

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 6, 2021, 11:23:13 am »
Brilliant thread and brilliant posts Timbo and Keyop. Timbo ... we know we can always count on you to be voice of reason and wisdom during a season as difficult and as wretched as this one

For what they have given for the last few seasons - Klopp, the players and Liverpool FC deserve our unrelenting support and not to be questioned or ridiculed

Up the Reds. Whatever will be will be ...
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Oldskoolcool

• Main Stander
« Reply #10 on: February 6, 2021, 11:50:11 am »
This post is the perfect antidote for the shit time we are going through with these unprecedented injuries.

Let's be honest we have massively overachieved, traditionally a team with a net spend as low as ours has no right to be in the top 4 let alone champions. We only achieved it through having the best manager in the world, prudence, being better than anyone else in the analysis and selection of who we bring in and the whole club geared towards us progressing in a sustainable manner. We aren't run by a sugar daddy oil baron, neither would I want us to be. We are Liverpool and that means something, we are different, we are a club with a soul and that is reflected best as I have ever seen in my lifetime by the current management and by the club's leadership. We have just had an unprecedented run of injuries, no one could have factored for this happening, and we don't have an emirate that can by us out and in one fell swoop bring in 100m of players to get us out of a sticky spot when we lose one defender (Dias and Cancelo anyone).

The response from some of our fanbase is symptomatic of the 'I want it and I want it right now' bratty culture that we live in, I for one am so grateful for the way our club is run and will continue to support this team and it's management and leadership through this difficult time.

Offline 18 yard line

• Anny Roader
  • Northern Ireland Red!
« Reply #11 on: February 6, 2021, 11:53:21 am »
Reading these posts from Timbo and Keyop has buoyed me up this morning and serve as a reminder of how much credit is due to Jurgen and the squad. It’s such a shame that we can’t get behind them in the stadium at the moment as I know our fans would really galvanise with them in the face of such a challenge. Thanks Timbo and come on the mighty reds. Class is permanent.
Northern Ireland Red!

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 6, 2021, 12:01:32 pm »
Top post. After feeling down in the dumps for a while this is a much needed pick me up. Do feel the lack of fans is a massive factor. Would be nice to get back to some old normal and give them some 12th man support.
Football is a lie

Offline flyingcod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Barry Davies: "It's the old, old story yet again."
« Reply #13 on: February 6, 2021, 12:10:00 pm »
Great posts, and love the clip from Ali.

We'll come through this, we always do. 

Maybe not with #20 or even Ole Big Ears #7, but by God we'll go down fighting.

This club is made of sterner stuff than others.  :scarf

fc
Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt - Bill Shankly

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #14 on: February 6, 2021, 01:06:21 pm »
FSG Out
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 6, 2021, 02:06:26 pm »
It's in human nature to take things for granted, most of the time you're doing it without even being aware of it, and you have to keep your feet on the ground and enjoy what you have in front of you, before it's gone. Ultimately in football, like in life, nothing lasts forever. The ups or the downs, eventually it stops, and like in life, in football, you need a bit of luck, to go along with hard work, determination, and talent. People have done that with this side, and it's not the first time this has happened and it won't be the last.

When Rafa was at the helm, every year practically we all knew that we had a shot to get to the semis in Europe at the very least, we knew that no matter how much better other sides were in the competition, we'd have a chance and a really good one especially with Anfield pushing us through. That period, like any period in life, flew by, so quickly, gone before you know it and the next period that followed it, saw us go years without imposing ourselves on the biggest stage in club football. Rafa had his faults, like we all do, and there were some who couldn't wait to see the back of him. And while no manager should be here forever, and you should always look to improve, what we did as a club at the time was replace a Mercedes Benz with a Yugo. That Yugo being Hodgson, and the other day I saw on here someone compare this current form up there with Hodgson and the time he was at the club.

Couldn't be further from the truth. There has only been one period in all my life that I've dreaded watching us play, and was so emotionally drained doing so, and that was for the few months [that felt like years] that he was at the club. How could these two periods compare, is beyond me, not even remotely in the same universe. Even with all the problems, with all the injuries, with all the obstacles, with all the terrible hands dealt to this club,manager and players, we've still gotten us selves in a position that most clubs would kill for. Imagine being in a race, with your Ferrari, and someone says, well you'll be going in this race, without one of your back tires, without a gear beyond 3rd, and with a quarter tank of gas, but we expect you to win, because you're a Ferrari.

Back to taking things for granted. Man City have pumped endless amounts of money in their club, have gotten every player they wanted to, and even they, couldn't' sustain 3 consecutive years at the very top without dropping down a level, for whatever reason. They said it was because Laporte was injured and Sane was injured last year, and while I believe that did weaken them, that is noting compared to what we've had been dealing with since the derby. One obstacle after another, just when you think ok we have it sorted well manage, something else comes up that makes that initial problem even worse, and on and on we go.

There were people moaning about not getting 100 points in our first league win over 30 years. Sounds daft doesn't it? Why arent we playing well in every game? [Has there been any team that has played well in every game in the history of the club or even football, ?] There were people moaning when we were winning but conceded one goal! Oh no how dare we concede a chance , let alone a goal! The standards that this group of players have set, not for one season but for the last 3/4 season has been remarkable, amazing and it's been a privilege to see it happen. The vast majority of this starting XI has been together since 17/18, and since that season, we have been chasing the next level, every single year, going in it with everything we have, trying everything and anything, putting all the effort possible, to compete with a side that has unlimited resources.

We got to a CL final, when nobody thought we'd do it at the start of that year. Nobody expected that. We got to the final, and eliminated that very side that was supposed to be dominating every game in football. In the end, we got the wrong end of the stick, with a devastating injury to Mo, and Karius being concussed which lead to errors, and ultimately it felt like Real were gifted their EC more than they earned it.  There have been a lot of sides who have made it to the CL final, and then never to be seen from the following year, or if they did, they still couldn't use that experience to win it. But what did this group of players and this manager do? They went back to the final the following year, and not only did they get there, they won the biggest club prize in football. That alone is a significant achievement, but to do it, whilst challenging for the league title, all the way til the last kick of the season, up against the same unlimited funds side, going blow for blow, is an even a biggger achievement. Basically 1 point was the difference between us doing the double, and 98 point season double at that. We finished with 97 points.

Many thought, there is no way on earth you could better such a season. We aren't coming near that, we aren't going to be able to pick ourselves up after that disappointment, it's dejavu all over again, that was our best chance and we bottled it. Is that how it ended? These players and this manager, went again, to a higher level, pushing themselves even more, and bettered the season before, and did something that so many managers and players have tried at our club over the last 30 years [and couldn't do], and won the league, not just win it, but win it with 99 points, with a a double digit lead, and the title was done in February essentially.

Going into this year, most of us thought that a repeat was possible, after all we added Thiago and Jota, and improved parts of our side that could help us elevate to the next level. We are at our prime as a side, and we didn't lose any of our key players. We got embarrassed by Villa, but things like that in football can happen, we weren't the first and won't be the last top team to be on the end of something like that. The derby came around after, and things changed. I don't believe that the injury to Van Dijk alone made it impossible for us to win the league. The injuries to Van Dijk,Gomez,Matip,Fabinho,Trent,Henderson,Thiago,Jota,etc.., the timing of said injuries, the work and shift that everyone had to put in to help compensate for said injuries and positions and shape, all of that accumulating is what's impacted us ultimately physically and mentally. The fact that we have gotten where we have, even with so many disadvantages, is a remarkable effort by everyone involved to begin with.

Which then makes me livid to see that people question whether or not the players care, or they want ''it'' anymore. Yes we had injuries, BUT. No, there is no BUT's, one injury isn't an excuse, but everything that has happened is the biggest reason why we have struggled in games, where we haven't done so in years. No matter the talent, no matter the hard work, the genius, the ability, in all the players and the manager, at the end of the day, you can't heal a wound with a band-aid, while it's leaking left and right. That's not to say that certain performances are acceptable, but you do have to understand them, and look at the context of it all. Not doing so, is a massive disservice, to this group that has given everything they have for 4 seasons now, to accomplish things at the highest level, and they've done all of that and more.

We live in an unprecedent time, as people, all over the world, not knowing literally what tomorrow brings, dealing with the pandemic. In the grand scheme of things, football is not that important, and all of these players are dealing with the same situation as the rest of us. I don't know how the rest of the season will go, I don't know what the hell is going to happen to the world, but even with all that said, I'm still excited to see how we maneuver through out all the shit and where we end up at the end of the year. I've enjoyed seeing these players grow and become better and better, and like life, time has flown by, and it will continue to fly by. Appreciate them, enjoy them, even when it's shit, because before you know it,  there will be new faces, a new cycle of the team, and who knows how successful [or not] we may be then. There are no guarantees, with anything in life, football especially.

It's a shame that the players and manager can't experience the power of Anfield in these tough moments, and so they're on their own, more than they have ever been before on the pitch, and while some teams excel without pressure on them from the crowd, this team thrives on that same pressure, we've all seen it.

This lot has given me some of the most joyful moments in my life, in the darkest of times, when everything else around me was in the shit, they've won everything I wanted to see them and us win, I can't ask for anymore than they have already given. Klopp once said, if we are going to fail, then we're going to fail beautifully [or something to that extent]. But we aren't failing because we are past it, but because this season, things haven't gone our way, when it rains, it pours, but that will come to an end, one way or another, it always does, the good and the bad.

See yous around

Offline drirfan

• Main Stander
  • From doubters to believers
« Reply #16 on: February 6, 2021, 02:48:15 pm »
Fantastic post guys.
We really do need to see where we were before Klopp and in particular Hodgson's time.
We have been completely spoiled under Klopp, this team last year was World, European and Premier League champions at the same time. Adding Thiago and Jota and Tsimikas to an already world class team was great business.
Yes with hindsight we should have replaced Lovren but who in the world ever thought we would have 3 season ending injuries at centre back! In addition in two-thirds of our matches we have had on average 6 players out. The fact we were top at Xmas shows what a miracle worker Klopp is and how good this team is.
The title MAY be beyond our reach but I think we can comfortably get top 4 and I would never write us off in the champions league.
I cant believe people talking about the team needing 4-5 new players etc in the summer, when we have a full strength team and squad back again we ARE the best team in the world.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 6, 2021, 02:52:47 pm »
Some great posts in here. Thanks Timbo and all!

I agree with the general sentiment in here for sure. After all this time, I just can't bring myself to complain about this lion of a manager and team. They have given us some great memories and times and I will remember them until my death, especially since it was the first title I witnessed us winning.

I do have to mention though that what makes this run of poor form hard to take is that the rest of the league started so poorly and gave us that early hope despite the injuries we had. If Man City had come out all guns blazing and were leading earlier, I would have probably been more accepting that we were not as good due to injuries but to see us top at Christmas and then eventually fall so badly to a flying Man City, who now look like they may win this league at a canter, definitely hurts the ego. Plus the fact that we fans can't really have a hand in cheering the lads on at Anfield when they need us most is also really hard to take.

« Last Edit: February 6, 2021, 02:54:33 pm by Seebab »
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #18 on: February 6, 2021, 03:08:02 pm »
Circle the wagons indeed.

A timely reminder that this team and manager are facing an unprecedented situation.

Up the Reds.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #19 on: February 6, 2021, 03:22:53 pm »
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #20 on: February 6, 2021, 03:59:06 pm »

Bastard

Where's the rest of the wagons?

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 6, 2021, 04:52:44 pm »

This lot has given me some of the most joyful moments in my life, in the darkest of times, when everything else around me was in the shit, they've won everything I wanted to see them and us win, I can't ask for anymore than they have already given. Klopp once said, if we are going to fail, then we're going to fail beautifully [or something to that extent]. But we aren't failing because we are past it, but because this season, things haven't gone our way, when it rains, it pours, but that will come to an end, one way or another, it always does, the good and the bad.

See yous around

Top posts guys. Re defacto above I can only but agree.

It's not only the winning of the last 2 seasons either (though that was reckon fantastic). It's been the whole ride since Jurgan and his gang took over.
The 15-16 season, making it to the finals of the mickey mouse cup and the Europa League. The absolute buzz of beating Man U at Anfield 2-0 and then Coutinho's classic at Old Trafford. Half time there, the absolute joy. A marker laid down in Europe. Little did we know. Dortmund. I watched that game in Belgium in the home of my soon to be ex-wifes relatives. I watched it literally behind the curtains. Absolute joy again, big buddies with Belgium beer. Villareal in the semi was another that stands out for me. Ok, we lost to City on pennos and Sevilla but I remember "Three Little Birds" in Zurich under the sun.

Was Sadio's Christmas present at Everton the next season ? Gave rise to one of the great songs of the modern era.Just floating through my mind. Selling Benteke for 32,000,000 !! Can's goal in the deluge at Vicarage Rd. Gini came in and banged in the goal to get us into the Big Cup the next season, the relief and joy bubbled at Anfield.That charge to make Europe again.

17-18 Mo Salah, 406 goals etc, the waltz against Watford, ballet in the snowflakes. Virg arrived and immediately knocked Everton out of the Cup. Ox came and smashed the first against City in that 3-0 blitz, City 4-3 as well ? Anfield ripping it up. But the game of the season, well the moment of the season, for me, was Mo equalising at Etihad to effectively knock City out of the Big one. Remember Mo standing, totally still in front of the away end, ball in the city net, stillness in tumult. Joy. Remember Roma ? Remember Anfield at 3-0, 4-0, 5-0 ? And again the away end in Rome. TAW and the Kiev epic journey, Shevchenko park, one man and his guitar, the rise of Jamie Webster and all that was to follow. Of course what followed was Ramos the Cnut and all that ... but ... 18-19 was to follow ..

18-19, Fabinho, Becker, ... Divvie being Everton's nemesis, Pickford magic, Jurgan on the pitch, joy again. Divvie again against Newcastle to snatch it, that absolute titanic struggle to wrest the title from City. The heartbreak again. And yet there was Europe. Never mind the final, remember Munich away, Sadio trap, twist, turn, chip ... beautiful. Never mind the final, remember Barca at home. Where were you ? Where did you end up ? Milner on the ground, smirking, then everyone crying, everyone hugging ... Now you can remember the final, but never mind the match. What about that square in Madrid ? What about the square in Madrid , the loudest YNWA I've ever heard. Joy, sun, beer, songs, and hope...
All before we had won a thing ...

All before The Reds, big Jurgan and the boys carried all before them and carried us with them and through this most traumatic of years. This has been the best of times, ever, in my opinion. Now we gotta carry them a bit. That's all.

I am another early 70's Shankly vintage poster.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 6, 2021, 04:54:28 pm »
Bastard

Where's the rest of the wagons?

Hitched up when we won in Istanbul, fucked off to City since.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #23 on: February 6, 2021, 05:01:02 pm »
It's fucking astonishing that a thread like this is needed, but fair play lads and lasses some top posts in here.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #24 on: February 6, 2021, 05:06:35 pm »
I support Liverpool, there is a reason it's Liverpool (and not Everton who are just as near to me).

We do things differently, I was massively influenced by how the Kop treated away teams and keepers when I starting going in the 70s and by how they managed, aided by Heighway, Keegan and Toshack of course, to win 3-2 when they shouldn't have and there was a reason they always played to the kop in the second half.

Support.

If we had (or ever do) turn into the sort of club that fails to support it's manager and players (just remember Peter Crouch when he first arrived) without good reason (ie Hodgson) then I won't bother anymore.

Obviously this can no longer be in the ground but the pages of here spread out across the world and have influence, it reaches the players this general swell, either positive or negative.

We have had a shit season in terms of injuries and its a shit world in general. Now is the time to get behind the manager and players and help climb back up that hill, in our own way, not alone.

This is why Liverpool is different.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #25 on: February 6, 2021, 05:07:01 pm »
Pleased this has a separate thread, as like I said in the other thread, these are brilliant posts by Timbo and Keyop. All things need context and perspective - and football is no different. As supporters, what clouds that sometimes is our own fanatical support and the degree to which it 'blinds' us into judging things somewhat skewedly at times.
I'm probably of the same age group as Timbo and been going to Anfield since the '60's - and, as he said there, I can't remember in all that time, an injury crisis like we've had this season....it's unbelievable. There was a great post in the injury thread just yesterday which listed the players who've missed games this season through injury or illness - 16 first team players ! In fact, excluding 'keepers and youngsters, only Robbo, Gini, Bobby, Jones & big Div (+ Taki) were the only players not on the list ! Crazy !
It's been incredible really that Jurgen and the boys have been able to keep in the hunt - and, when you consider the utter bollocks that refs and VAR have dealt us thus far, we may well have been in an even better position (not that it's bad tho' is it ?). And we will get through this.
Let's not forget either that there's been no supporters in the grounds and I believe our team thrives on the support at Anfield - so clearly that's had some effect. But, we need to stick together through this - support the team as best we are able in these troubled times. Keep believing and have some faith. Whenever I read that word, it always reminds of a hymn we learnt at school, 'Faith of our Fathers' - which was also the title of a brilliant book by Alan Edge about football as a religion and Liverpool in particular. Let's keep the 'Faith of our Fathers'. The phrase from a couple of years ago springs to mind........'Never give up'

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #26 on: February 6, 2021, 05:09:48 pm »
Great thread and excellent, and much needed, OP

It's no secret that, along with others, I've been frustrated by the conduct of some supporters in these trying times. I don't really mean Twitter and social media because I don't use those and so haven't really experienced them, though by all accounts it's pretty grim.

Rather I mean in more traditional arenas, including, alas, a bit here. Declarations of irreversible disaster, premature giving up, turning on players and using, shall we say, inappropriate language to refer to them and even a thin vein of snidery aimed at the manager and his decisions - as if a fan thinking one thing and the manager doing another automatically makes the fan correct!

But support is a strange, often contradictory, puzzle: as strong as steel, as deep as the ocean and as permanent and everpresent as the rising sun, a rock upon which the edifice is built, yet sometimes as fragile as a votive flame in a raging gale, so quick to flicker and (in more ways than one) gutter, or a butterfly on the inexorably turning wheel of events, easily crushed and crumbled, or a heart still bearing the faultlines of previous breakings, ever ready to fall into doubt and anxiety and existential despair.

Thus even as some Liverpool fans are reading the last rites for the season, and also, sadly, for certain players, and declaring that there's no chance of winning anything now, so there are many neutral non-fans that I know who think we're doing fine, just having an understandable blip due to unprecedented injury and mental exhaustion after years of highly focussed consistency. You'd think it would be the other way round, but I guess the closer you are, and the more you have invested in the club and its fortunes, the easier it is to doubt and lose heart. There's so much of our own selves riding on each win and each loss that every reversal cuts to the core, every setback looms large and every adversity feels like a kick in our own, personal, guts. 

Our history is full of moments of such adversity, on and off the pitch, and grand tales of overcoming that adversity; it runs through the very fabric of the club, its story and the fanbase, like steel through concrete, the hard, cold matrix that nevertheless makes us stronger and helps us rise taller. It is the basis of our identity and our songs. This is just the latest instance. And what has always stood out, during both bad times and good, is the laregly unwavering support of the fans, and that's what is needed now. So it's great to have the likes of Timbo and other long term fans who have seen it all, done it all, lead the way. You get your education from the Kop, as our old fellas say, and we should never be afraid of education or think we no longer need it.

It's easy to fall into the trap of splitting off into different factions, characterised by the way we respond to the current situation, and viewing each other with mutual hostility, but that's something we - and especially I -  need to resist. I admit I get frustrated by the way some fans react to things, and I don't always react well, in the heat of the moment. But I, like everyone, need to remember that, while we may go about things differently, we all, ultimately, want the same thing. If we keep our ultimate aims and goals in view rather than getting bogged down by the granular detail, then we can remain united, and sing the same song, so that when the storm finally abates and when, under the freshly scoured and minted golden sky, our thoughts and hearts and feet once again turn stadium-ward and the turnstiles start clanking, the fifty thousand plus who'll raise their arms and their scarves will, to the players and the manager, sound like one voice.   
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #27 on: February 6, 2021, 05:17:44 pm »
Top posts guys. Re defacto above I can only but agree.

It's not only the winning of the last 2 seasons either (though that was reckon fantastic). It's been the whole ride since Jurgan and his gang took over.
The 15-16 season, making it to the finals of the mickey mouse cup and the Europa League. The absolute buzz of beating Man U at Anfield 2-0 and then Coutinho's classic at Old Trafford. Half time there, the absolute joy. A marker laid down in Europe. Little did we know. Dortmund. I watched that game in Belgium in the home of my soon to be ex-wifes relatives. I watched it literally behind the curtains. Absolute joy again, big buddies with Belgium beer. Villareal in the semi was another that stands out for me. Ok, we lost to City on pennos and Sevilla but I remember "Three Little Birds" in Zurich under the sun.

Was Sadio's Christmas present at Everton the next season ? Gave rise to one of the great songs of the modern era.Just floating through my mind. Selling Benteke for 32,000,000 !! Can's goal in the deluge at Vicarage Rd. Gini came in and banged in the goal to get us into the Big Cup the next season, the relief and joy bubbled at Anfield.That charge to make Europe again.

17-18 Mo Salah, 406 goals etc, the waltz against Watford, ballet in the snowflakes. Virg arrived and immediately knocked Everton out of the Cup. Ox came and smashed the first against City in that 3-0 blitz, City 4-3 as well ? Anfield ripping it up. But the game of the season, well the moment of the season, for me, was Mo equalising at Etihad to effectively knock City out of the Big one. Remember Mo standing, totally still in front of the away end, ball in the city net, stillness in tumult. Joy. Remember Roma ? Remember Anfield at 3-0, 4-0, 5-0 ? And again the away end in Rome. TAW and the Kiev epic journey, Shevchenko park, one man and his guitar, the rise of Jamie Webster and all that was to follow. Of course what followed was Ramos the Cnut and all that ... but ... 18-19 was to follow ..

18-19, Fabinho, Becker, ... Divvie being Everton's nemesis, Pickford magic, Jurgan on the pitch, joy again. Divvie again against Newcastle to snatch it, that absolute titanic struggle to wrest the title from City. The heartbreak again. And yet there was Europe. Never mind the final, remember Munich away, Sadio trap, twist, turn, chip ... beautiful. Never mind the final, remember Barca at home. Where were you ? Where did you end up ? Milner on the ground, smirking, then everyone crying, everyone hugging ... Now you can remember the final, but never mind the match. What about that square in Madrid ? What about the square in Madrid , the loudest YNWA I've ever heard. Joy, sun, beer, songs, and hope...
All before we had won a thing ...

All before The Reds, big Jurgan and the boys carried all before them and carried us with them and through this most traumatic of years. This has been the best of times, ever, in my opinion. Now we gotta carry them a bit. That's all.

I am another early 70's Shankly vintage poster.
Fantastic post! The last few seasons relived in glorious technicolour and the most rousing of soundtracks. And so much more to come, I'm sure; Let's be ready for it!
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #28 on: February 6, 2021, 05:45:38 pm »
Time to circle the wagons.

Up the mighty fucking Reds!

this x10000000.

That’s what drives me nuts with football these days, is that people cannot wait to side with the pricks in the media and the pricks in oppo fanbases and stick the boot in.

Get behind the manager and the team, stick up for them every time these fuckers on the other side stick the boot in, don’t join them for godsake!

This manager and team is forever going to be remembered for being the team that broke the 30 year drought, and that won our 6th European cup, and who played such amazing intense football for 3 years straight to win those mighty prizes. Now it’s our turn to keep the faith and back them every step.

« Last Edit: February 6, 2021, 05:47:09 pm by Dim Glas »

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 6, 2021, 05:52:00 pm »
this x10000000.

That’s what drives me nuts with football these days, is that people cannot wait to side with the pricks in the media and the pricks in oppo fanbases and stick the boot in.

Get behind the manager and the team, stick up for them every time these fuckers on the other side stick the boot in, don’t join them for godsake!

This manager and team is forever going to be remembered for being the team that broke the 30 year drought, and that won our 6th European cup, and who played such amazing intense football for 3 years straight to win those mighty prizes. Now it’s our turn to keep the faith and back them every step.

To be fair I think LFC fans are already some of the most supportive fans around the world. The general level of moan is hardly earth shattering here. Look at the Everton fans moaning about their season right now, it’s almost as if they’re being relegated.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2021, 05:56:51 pm by Bend It Like Aurelio »

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #30 on: February 6, 2021, 05:55:12 pm »
I've split this the create it's own thread. Not just because of the fantastic points and wisdom, but because this seasons journey is far from over.

Great stuff Timbo and Keyop.

Bloodyhell - what a coincidence John lad.  I was thinking of doing the very same thing!!!  ;)

Like the wisdom bit - just call me fucking Solomon!!! LOL

;D

Just reading through some of the posts above makes me really proud to be a Red and to share the forum with Reds like you lot. It's what and who we are. It's in a real Liverpudlian's DNA. It's not any air of superiority - it's just knowing instinctively the heart, soul and culture of what being a Liverpudlian entails and has done certainly for as long as I remember, dating right back to Shanks and no doubt to Elisha Scott.

So many heartfelt sentiments to underpin what Keyop and myself were at pains to highlight both in the Brighton and Bobby Firmino threads. We're supporters not followers. When the chips are down that's when we are most needed to show our support. We can't do it in the ground just now but we can do it on the likes of these forums and display to all and sundry that we know what being a Red really means. This manager and this team have earned a loyalty almost like never before. Whatever happens from here on in - THAT is fact.

Some superb stuff but must make special reference to De Facto's post - wow. Real proper 'got yer education from the Kop' Liverpudlian sentiments in every line. But thanks to all. It's made an arl arse feel very proud. 

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #31 on: February 6, 2021, 05:59:35 pm »
To be fair I think LFC fans are already some of the most supportive fans around the world. The general level of moan is hardly earth shattering here. Look at the Everton fans morning about their season right now, it’s almost as if they’re being relegated.

still far too much of it going on, in general I mean, rather than specifically on here.

I know football ‘fandoms’ are a genereally toxic place these days, because the most vocal, are those on social media (and yep, some forums!) - those are the views that get plastered everywhere, be it on news-sites (BBC are as bad as anyone for it), newspapers - and yes the Echo of course - one of the worst for it, on phone ins - on tv, on pretty much any sporting and news website.

To even enjoy this for a second this season, I’d have to throw my computer and phone out the window, and never be online. Every where you turn is someone kicking the boot in, and usually into the manager. It’s beyond tedious! 

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #32 on: February 6, 2021, 06:13:23 pm »
I know that the quote "if you can't support us when we lose, don't support us when we win" is not a real Shankly quote. And it's a bit pat.

It's right though.

I guess that's the difference between being a fan and being a supporter. I'm not a fanatic. We can be flawed, we can be downright bad. There have been and will be bad times as well as the drunken, singing love of the good times.

Yeah. Fine. That's the deal. It's not love if you can turn it off

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #33 on: February 6, 2021, 06:44:39 pm »
 :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LODkVkpaVQA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LODkVkpaVQA</a> 
:scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #34 on: February 6, 2021, 08:53:57 pm »
I know that the quote "if you can't support us when we lose, don't support us when we win" is not a real Shankly quote. And it's a bit pat.

It's right though.

I guess that's the difference between being a fan and being a supporter. I'm not a fanatic. We can be flawed, we can be downright bad. There have been and will be bad times as well as the drunken, singing love of the good times.

Yeah. Fine. That's the deal. It's not love if you can turn it off
Not sure if that was a Shanks quote either but agree it's right. Shanks promoted togetherness - the holy trinity of player, manager and supporters. One quote of his in response to a player who was over-critical of a struggling team-mate was, 'Laddie , what would you do if your neighbour's house was on fire ? Get out there, son and help him !'

Love how he was always encouraging players, staff and supporters to take care and look out for each other.

Online Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #35 on: February 6, 2021, 08:55:20 pm »
Great thread and those posts deserved a thread of their own, especially on the eve of our biggest game of the season.

The sentiments in here should go without saying really, so it’s a bit sad that they need saying at all, but we are where we are. I can’t really add anything to what’s been said. Some fantastic posts and really goes to the core of what we’re about. We’ve been so spoiled for month after month, year after year since Jurgen walked in and got the club immediately and took us back to greatness. And we’ve been great for so long that a bad run comes as a shock, despite all the mitigating factors.

Tomorrow Man City know they’re taking on a wounded animal, but for that reason they will be wary. But they will fancy their chances as much as we do as they know there’s no defiant Kop roaring the Reds on as there inevitably would be under normal circumstances. And that’s part of the frustration isn’t it (all of the frustration?)...we just know how much the players would be buzzing from a full Anfield tomorrow. But Jurgen knows this and will have the players that are available fully fired up for another epic contest. He knows we’re there in spirit and have faith in them to get the result we need.

I hope one of the players finds their way in here tonight and reads the posts by Timbo and keyop et al and sends the link out to the rest of the squad. We’re with you lads, all the fucking way.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 6, 2021, 09:05:20 pm »
Great thread and excellent, and much needed, OP

It's no secret that, along with others, I've been frustrated by the conduct of some supporters in these trying times. I don't really mean Twitter and social media because I don't use those and so haven't really experienced them, though by all accounts it's pretty grim.

Rather I mean in more traditional arenas, including, alas, a bit here. Declarations of irreversible disaster, premature giving up, turning on players and using, shall we say, inappropriate language to refer to them and even a thin vein of snidery aimed at the manager and his decisions - as if a fan thinking one thing and the manager doing another automatically makes the fan correct!

But support is a strange, often contradictory, puzzle: as strong as steel, as deep as the ocean and as permanent and everpresent as the rising sun, a rock upon which the edifice is built, yet sometimes as fragile as a votive flame in a raging gale, so quick to flicker and (in more ways than one) gutter, or a butterfly on the inexorably turning wheel of events, easily crushed and crumbled, or a heart still bearing the faultlines of previous breakings, ever ready to fall into doubt and anxiety and existential despair.

Thus even as some Liverpool fans are reading the last rites for the season, and also, sadly, for certain players, and declaring that there's no chance of winning anything now, so there are many neutral non-fans that I know who think we're doing fine, just having an understandable blip due to unprecedented injury and mental exhaustion after years of highly focussed consistency. You'd think it would be the other way round, but I guess the closer you are, and the more you have invested in the club and its fortunes, the easier it is to doubt and lose heart. There's so much of our own selves riding on each win and each loss that every reversal cuts to the core, every setback looms large and every adversity feels like a kick in our own, personal, guts. 

Our history is full of moments of such adversity, on and off the pitch, and grand tales of overcoming that adversity; it runs through the very fabric of the club, its story and the fanbase, like steel through concrete, the hard, cold matrix that nevertheless makes us stronger and helps us rise taller. It is the basis of our identity and our songs. This is just the latest instance. And what has always stood out, during both bad times and good, is the laregly unwavering support of the fans, and that's what is needed now. So it's great to have the likes of Timbo and other long term fans who have seen it all, done it all, lead the way. You get your education from the Kop, as our old fellas say, and we should never be afraid of education or think we no longer need it.

It's easy to fall into the trap of splitting off into different factions, characterised by the way we respond to the current situation, and viewing each other with mutual hostility, but that's something we - and especially I -  need to resist. I admit I get frustrated by the way some fans react to things, and I don't always react well, in the heat of the moment. But I, like everyone, need to remember that, while we may go about things differently, we all, ultimately, want the same thing. If we keep our ultimate aims and goals in view rather than getting bogged down by the granular detail, then we can remain united, and sing the same song, so that when the storm finally abates and when, under the freshly scoured and minted golden sky, our thoughts and hearts and feet once again turn stadium-ward and the turnstiles start clanking, the fifty thousand plus who'll raise their arms and their scarves will, to the players and the manager, sound like one voice.   
Top post to go with a lot of others in here👍

I love Rawk for the debate and differing opinions, It's where I come to air my hopes and fears (football) and read others.
I live closer to Manchester than Liverpool now so I'm surrounded by Utd and City supporters, it makes losing even worse than it is.

I find it's very similar to your  kids, you won't hear a bad word said about them, but behind closed doors you have your own moan. I can definitely be a bit on the negative side and that's why threads like this are great to keep me more posative about our great club.

Great job guys.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2021, 09:42:24 pm by lgvkarlos »

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 6, 2021, 09:11:45 pm »
I admit I’ve let disappointment get the better of me after some of our recent defeats, without taking into account the absolute shitstorm the team has had to deal with this season. Worst injury list I’ve ever known in all my years supporting Liverpool. Horrendous referee and VAR decisions, plus all the other stuff going on. It’s true, what this team has achieved in the last few years has given us memories that will last a lifetime.,They ended the 30 year wait! Win, lose or draw tomorrow, we are Liverpool fans and we are lucky to be so. Let’s not be like the shit fans other clubs have. We support team no matter what.
Come on you Reds!
YNWA

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #38 on: February 6, 2021, 09:12:26 pm »
Top OP setting up the tone for a quality thread. It's how I feel too. The season isn't over, far from it!
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #39 on: February 6, 2021, 09:27:22 pm »
They have been off the planet for 3 years , a season like this was inevitable at some point they are only human. The Transhumanism is still a few years away yet.
If we win nothing this year then it can still be of value- bedding in players, new systems, ideas etc.    For me aside from losing VVD,JOMEZ & Joel
and as good as he has been playing centre back but losing Fabinho in the midfield was impactful the most.  It just shows that as good as our forward play is with the front 3 catching the eye its that bedrock of solidity through the spine of the time that was key to our consistency and subsequent success.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!