Author Topic: James Milner - El Burro Magnifico  (Read 577125 times)

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: James Milner - The man who's involved in lots of the goal things
« Reply #200 on: April 22, 2016, 10:53:47 am »
Henderson hasn't been properly fit pretty much all season and how Rodgers plays with Benteke up top is very different to how Klopp plays win Sturridge or Origi as striker.  And I want a 4-3-3 anyway rather than a midfield two with Henderson and Milner as a pairing in front of a DM.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: April 22, 2016, 11:01:01 am »
Henderson hasn't been properly fit pretty much all season and how Rodgers plays with Benteke up top is very different to how Klopp plays win Sturridge or Origi as striker.  And I want a 4-3-3 anyway rather than a midfield two with Henderson and Milner as a pairing in front of a DM.

It doesn't look remotely like you're going to get that under Klopp, though. I get that we all have preferences, but in discussing reality it needs to be within the scope of what Klopp is doing, or it's just wishful thinking.

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: April 22, 2016, 11:09:35 am »
It doesn't look remotely like you're going to get that under Klopp, though. I get that we all have preferences, but in discussing reality it needs to be within the scope of what Klopp is doing, or it's just wishful thinking.

Really? I'd like your thoughts on what we played against Dortmund (away). It looked a lot like a 4-3-3 to me.
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: April 22, 2016, 11:14:53 am »
Really? I'd like your thoughts on what we played against Dortmund (away). It looked a lot like a 4-3-3 to me.

Klopp has managed 44 games. How many of those have seen a 433 rather than the 4231/4411?
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #204 on: April 22, 2016, 11:45:52 am »
433,4231,4411 are all just variations of the same basic shape anyway.   

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #205 on: April 22, 2016, 12:00:12 pm »
Pretty sure Henderson got 7 goals 15 assists last year

My bad - I didn't realise he had so many! 

I should really have said 'this season'.

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: April 22, 2016, 02:34:59 pm »
Klopp has managed 44 games. How many of those have seen a 433 rather than the 4231/4411?

So all those games with Firmino as striker with Lallana & Coutinho......those aren't 4-3-3?

I dare say 4-3-3 has been the most used formation under Klopp.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #207 on: April 22, 2016, 06:14:49 pm »
I like Milner. He strikes me as a decent player to have around. He is like a jack of all trades. Not overly spectacular, but at least you can rely on his graft and experience....a bit like Kuyt....but in the midfield position  ;D

He reminds me of one of those slower, older players you get at 5-a-side sometimes.
Not flashy, not fast, but solid ball retention and just keep things ticking over nicely. You can tell with these players that they have a footballing brain and know the ins and outs of the game.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #208 on: April 22, 2016, 06:30:57 pm »

Amen.  Once the dust settles and Klopp does what he wants to do this summer I think 4-2-3-1 will be the formation we go with.  For me Can is a certain starter in the two, its a question of who starts with him.

Milner has had a very good first season, he's a great option to have.

Offline kkhaku

• Kaladze
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: k_rrar
« Reply #209 on: April 22, 2016, 07:08:43 pm »
I like Milner. He strikes me as a decent player to have around. He is like a jack of all trades. Not overly spectacular, but at least you can rely on his graft and experience....a bit like Kuyt....but in the midfield position  ;D

He reminds me of one of those slower, older players you get at 5-a-side sometimes.
Not flashy, not fast, but solid ball retention and just keep things ticking over nicely. You can tell with these players that they have a footballing brain and know the ins and outs of the game.

Think that description does him a disservice to be honest.

Lad runs something like 13km per match, has more assists in 2016 than ANY other player in ANY other league, and still beats players much faster than him to the byline to get in his crosses.

What you're describing sounds like the ageing but steady central midfielder, reliant fully on positional, technical and gamesense abilities to make for a lack of athletic abilities and dynamism - its a role that's fairly uncommon in today's game, even the likes of Pirlo and Alonso barely get a runout.

Milner is a beast. He's the guy on the 5 a side pitch that looks like he should be playing rugby not football, and somehow runs circles around everyone with or without the ball.
"God is dead." - Freidrich Nietzsche, 1882
"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #210 on: April 22, 2016, 07:49:16 pm »
But that pairing didn't work. Milner's blossoming in the last few games is probably related to Henderson's disappearance.

Yorkie just made Fordy smile!
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #211 on: April 23, 2016, 02:13:34 am »
so has milner played in the merseyside, manchester, birmingham and tyne-wear derbies?
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Marty McFly

• He is not a number, he's a free man now
  • Legacy Fan
  • Has been busy in parallel dimensions and shit.
« Reply #212 on: April 23, 2016, 03:32:10 am »
Finally seeing the beast of a player I was expecting when we bought him.

I'll be honest he was annoying me first third or so of the season (I wasn't seeing enough in defence or attack just a lot of bluster) but he has just gotten better and better.

100% fight and effort, never stops running, contests every ball, now assisting with more regularity than our "3 number 10s" - just need to cover him so from CM so he can get forward and wide to whip those balls in.

Having said that, might want to give him a rest tomorrow/today. I'm 50-50 on that.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #213 on: April 23, 2016, 07:30:38 am »
Go watch the winning goal against BVB again. About 15 seconds before the free kick is awarded you can see Milner gesturing to Clyne (who is off screen) to push right up. Milner then receives the ball and plays it down the right with the ball eventually getting to the advanced Clyne who is fouled...and the rest is history!

Just a small observation but his contribution to that win cannot be underestimated.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: April 23, 2016, 08:14:32 am »
He's incredibly effective at making that diagonal run from a central zone to exploit spaces down either wing and get crosses in, very very efficient, 1 touch to engage, a little fake for some space, either crosses with that new space, plays a one two or takes off down the wing and crosses at speed. No overcomplication, but does any of these as he sees fit again and again and again till they crack.

He's never going to be a main centre mid under Klopp regularly, he'll get a game in that position here and there; as long as he contributes the way he's most useful, mainly as an advanced midfielder with plenty of freedom to hit the wings, he'll have justified the outlay. Need to get that idea out of his head totally if he wants to stay long term here and commit to Klopp's idea of his position.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: April 23, 2016, 08:22:38 am »
its always the little things that makes the difference.

He's incredibly effective at making that diagonal run from a central zone to exploit spaces down either wing and get crosses in, very very efficient, 1 touch to engage, a little fake for some space, either crosses with that new space, plays a one two or takes off down the wing and crosses at speed. No overcomplication, but does any of these as he sees fit again and again and again till they crack.

He's never going to be a main centre mid under Klopp regularly, he'll get a game in that position here and there; as long as he contributes the way he's most useful, mainly as an advanced midfielder with plenty of freedom to hit the wings, he'll have justified the outlay. Need to get that idea out of his head totally if he wants to stay long term here and commit to Klopp's idea of his position.

I don't think Klopp sees him centrally either. That dream of his playing central ended with Rodgers dismissal. I have no idea with this fascination of english midfielders thinking their best position is in the middle of the pitch. Our previous captain most brilliant campaign was when he was shunted out wide under rafa.

He loves the cutback as well.  Just seen a few of his recent assist vs Dortmund and Everton and he loves the cutback from inside the penalty box as well.  Once our Strikers/deep running midfielders read the intention, I think its going to be brilliant.

I surely hope he does stay and be a mainstay/option on our wide play. Doesn't do any of the fancy stuff but just gets the business done.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #216 on: April 23, 2016, 09:49:35 am »
its always the little things that makes the difference.

I don't think Klopp sees him centrally either. That dream of his playing central ended with Rodgers dismissal. I have no idea with this fascination of english midfielders thinking their best position is in the middle of the pitch. Our previous captain most brilliant campaign was when he was shunted out wide under rafa.

Not really. His best campaigns were when he was played behind Torres as a No. 10 (centrally that). And he had a great season out wide. He had brilliant seasons as a box-to-box mid under Houlier and one good season as a Deep Lying playmaker. That is testament to his quality with immense versatility that he could play in different positions and still be the standout player. Does nowhere imply that he was best at wide or a wide player primarily. Gerrard and Milner are different players, in quality and in style, I don't just see the above comparison really.

Online an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: April 23, 2016, 10:04:13 am »
He is playing exceptionally well. To me he is a right of a 3 behind the striker. 3 from Phil, Bob, Lallana and Milner (not counting the kids really) behind Origi or DS. That's the way it should be if we have all our CMs fit but we don't so needs must.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #218 on: May 6, 2016, 12:54:23 am »
Exceptional tonight.

Fashionable fan thing, is one thing - having a fuckin clue abar what you are meant to do and make the 'team' a whole lot better than their individual parts, is another.

There is no denying what this lad offers to my team.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline sunny_LFC

• Internet Terrorist
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: May 6, 2016, 12:59:53 am »
He and Can have been massive for us in the last few months

He offers so much and you can see his experience in these big games
Quote from: liverpoolway forum user
They lock everything on RAWK, unless it's some long winded, pretentious 'tactical' assessment or a pithy in joke from one of their mates.
"my secretary Sheila said to me that the ball had crossed the line,  that was good enough for me"

Offline BOBSCOUSE

• Awestruck admirer of the families, YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: May 6, 2016, 01:11:16 am »
Hope he can keep this sort of standard up when he's in his thirties, he's been quality for the majority of this season.
JFT96
Here comes retribution motherfuckers!

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: May 6, 2016, 01:14:58 am »
realy great player, working hard, runs his ass off, the corners are better as well :P

man of the match for me against Villareal,

it looked like he picked an injury yesterday, but kept playing despite that...

certainly better for us than City new n. 7 ... for them.

Offline BEAST

• IEBOY - TIME FOR BOCK BOCK!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sturridge dance
« Reply #222 on: May 6, 2016, 01:19:59 am »
love the way he ran off that knock, was playing on 1 leg for a few minutes.

No fuss, no rolling around like a baby.  Just bit his tongue and got on with it.  What a boss.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #223 on: May 6, 2016, 02:15:15 am »
I'll happily admit that I was wrong about him. His drive and determination along with his experience are very very valuable to this young squad. He's a player that won't ever stop giving his all, player we all like. Hats off to you James, long may it continue.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: May 6, 2016, 02:21:12 am »
Top professional, leader on the pitch, would love to see Kuyt and him in the same side, they could run for days. He is quality with delivering the ball [when it's not a corner]

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #225 on: May 6, 2016, 02:37:25 am »
Second instance (3rd if you include Lallana although the crowd is still wary of the poor man's Cruyff) of players coming good after Jurgen. Imagine we'd shipped out Lovren and not given Milner a look at all if the manager took cues from RAWK.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #226 on: May 6, 2016, 03:54:11 am »
Very good tonight. Impressed.
YWNA

Offline Lethul

• Anny Roader
« Reply #227 on: May 6, 2016, 08:48:20 am »
He even had 1 good corner yesterday :)

Offline Dan6times

• "Oh, he's not seeing me, I'll get him later... DAN!"
  • Kopite
  • Imagine not supporting Liverpool
« Reply #228 on: May 6, 2016, 08:58:02 am »
He even had 1 good corner yesterday :)

WTF are you on about??
He had 2  ;)
“For those of you in the cheap seats I'd like ya to clap your hands to this one; the rest of you can just rattle your jewelry!”

Offline Klopp-A-Delphia

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Numquam Solum Ambulabis
James Milner - The man who's involved in lots of the goal things
« Reply #229 on: May 6, 2016, 09:42:56 am »
The man is hard as nails. I feel like he's found a home with us.

Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/connorpatrick   or @ConnorPatrick

The magic is in the melody.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #230 on: May 6, 2016, 10:23:38 am »
Fair play to him, he's really pulled his finger out. Ex-Leeds, free transfer, instrumental in our Uefa run...parallels with Gary Mac in 2001 perhaps. Here's hoping.

Offline MrEazi1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: May 6, 2016, 10:25:19 am »
Best free since McAllister.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: May 6, 2016, 10:26:24 am »
And then Kolo
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline JURGENKLOPP

• Thou shalt not steal. (books, from St. Thomas More Catholic High School)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #233 on: May 6, 2016, 10:38:38 am »
No love for Andriy?

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: May 6, 2016, 10:40:11 am »

Maxi was a good free too, but Milner sure looks like being a very good 'un.

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: May 6, 2016, 10:40:22 am »
How does the guy get stick?

To think some want Allen ahead of him too.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #236 on: May 6, 2016, 11:06:41 am »
How does the guy get stick?

To think some want Allen ahead of him too.
I think that depends on formation though. Last night we played a kind of 4-1-4-1 and Milner is better suited to that advanced midfield position.

If we're playing 4-2-3-1 then we often struggle to pass the ball out from the back when Can is partnered by Milner or Henderson. Can needs someone beside him who can turn players and change direction quick. 
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #237 on: May 6, 2016, 11:50:15 am »
I was very skeptical of him at the start of the season, particularly in a central midfield role, but he has been exceptional in the latter part of the season.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #238 on: May 6, 2016, 11:51:32 am »
His decision making is so good. Very rarely makes the wrong choice. Delighted we've got him.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #239 on: May 6, 2016, 11:53:25 am »
Has been very good recently as long he is not asked to play as one of the two in central midfield.