Author Topic: What mobile phone?  (Read 868785 times)

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
Re: What mobile phone?
« Reply #7600 on: August 9, 2018, 09:00:44 pm »
So mine lost all connection to the network at about midday, and hasn't come back on since. O2 will give me an early upgrade but the prices are so much better with Carphone Warehouse

What's the best Android phone I can get for 30 quid a month with a very low up front cost? Pref small (had z5 and ZX1 compacts the last two phones) and pref. on o2 so I can keep my number. Thanks in advance.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7601 on: August 12, 2018, 09:34:27 pm »
So mine lost all connection to the network at about midday, and hasn't come back on since. O2 will give me an early upgrade but the prices are so much better with Carphone Warehouse

What's the best Android phone I can get for 30 quid a month with a very low up front cost? Pref small (had z5 and ZX1 compacts the last two phones) and pref. on o2 so I can keep my number. Thanks in advance.

You can keep your number anyway,you just need to get your pac number.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #7602 on: August 17, 2018, 08:23:25 am »
Anybody tried the Xiaomi Mi A2? Thinking of buying it. But heart tells me to wait for the Nokia 6.1 plus (X6) purely for the notch display and expandable memory. So in a fix.

Online .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7603 on: August 20, 2018, 09:36:42 am »
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4x screen smashed so after an attempted replacement (which also smashed upon application), I decided to upgrade.

Was looking for a phone with excellent battery life and good camera and the winner was the Huawei Mate 10 Pro. Had it a week or so and I'm delighted with it. The battery life is excellent, I can comfortably get a day and a half out of it and more often, two days. The camera is also excellent.

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone looking for a close to top of the range phone that won't break the bank - I paid £350.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7604 on: August 20, 2018, 10:27:46 am »
Wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone looking for a close to top of the range phone that won't break the bank - I paid £350.

Ditto. I have the Mate 9 Pro. Very similar to the Mate 10 pro but with a slightly smaller screen. Charging it with the office Huawei charger is brilliant. Never had a phone charge so quickly.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #7605 on: August 26, 2018, 10:59:03 pm »
Yeah that's the one. I ordered mine on a Sunday and had it on Tuesday. Get yourself a cover off Amazon or Ebay and your sorted. This is the one I got, comes with a screen protector and I find it very good.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro Case,2ndSpring Redmi Note 5 Pro Cover Ultra-thin 3in1 360 Degrees Full Body Plastic Hard Case Skin Shockproof Shell with Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro Protective Rubber Light Gel Tough Case Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C156228/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_0dWABbA8D6314

Comes with a Chinese plug but if you have a Samsung I'd use the charger from that. That's what I do and it charges reasonably quick.
check your pm
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline armchair-fan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7606 on: August 29, 2018, 12:12:27 pm »
Lets do it feature by feature.

Display
LG G6 - LG G6 has a great QHD quantum LCD display @1440 x 2880 pixels with high colour accuracy and fidelity.  Brightness and contrast are great too.  Top quality panel made by LG themselves.

Nokia 7 - The 7 plus also has an LCD IPS display but at a lower 1080 x 2160 pixels pixels. This is also a good panel, but as the numbers indicate, it offers lower pixel density compared to the 2K panel on the G6.  However, you will be hard pressed to tell the difference in day to day use unless you do a lot of high resolution photography/video or use VR apps often. 

Storage
The G6 has a faster UFS 2.0 storage, which is fast compared to a basic emmc type storage found in most mid range phones. The type of storage impacts day to day usability with faster storage like UFS feeling ever so slightly faster in opening apps or editing videos/clips.  Copying to and from the storage will also be faster compared to the emmc type.

Nokia 7 -  Has a standard emmc 5 storage which is what you get in most phones under 300 gbp. It is still a good storage, but falls behind the UFS storage on the G6. Day to day usability will be absolutely fine unless using disk intensive apps.

Performance

LG G6 - The processor used is a Snapdragon 821, a high end unit used in premium phones launched in late 2016/2017. It is very fast and capable of tackling any app or game out there.  The GPU is the powerful Adreno 530 which is great for gaming and heavy editing. 

Nokia 7 plus - This uses a newer but lower range Snapdragon 660 processor, with an Adreno 512 gpu.  Although not flagship class, this is still a very good processor and matches anything out there apart from the 800 series processors.  Performance will not be an issue and you mostly will not notice the difference unless you are gaming or doing processor intensive tasks such as video editing. The phone flies due to the use of stock android.

Battery
LG g6 - the G6 has a lower battery capacity with a more powerful processor, which means battery life will be about average. The Snapdragon 821 in the G6 is also more power hungry due to a bigger GPU and memory.  The high resolution display contributes to higher power draw when the display is on.   Having said that, unless you are a heavy gamer or photographer, you should be able to go 1.5 days without a charge with reasonable usage.

Nokia 7 -  This has a bigger battery, a more battery efficient processor and a lower resolution display, resulting in seriously good battery life. It has one of the best battery longevity in its segment and you will not be rushing to charge at least for a couple of days with normal usage. If battery is a priority for you, the Nokia 7 plus is a better choice.  Th

Camera
LG g6 - The G6 has a better camera due to a larger aperture camera, optical image stabilization and a better sensor. It takes very good pictures in standard lighting and does the job in lower lighting.  The OIS helps in countering shaky hands in stills and videos.  You have a host of manual settings as well with the ability to save images as RAW files for editing.  The secondary rear camera is a wide angle lens which you can use to take photos with much wider fovs. Overall it is a capable performer with two good rear cameras.  The Selfie cam is just about OK if you are a lover of selfies.

The Nokia 7 plus has a good camera as well but does not offer OIS. The aperture is 1.7 for the rear cam, the same as the G6.  The secondary camera offers 2X optical zoom which allows you to take pictures at longer distances without fidelity loss.  This is different to the G6 which has a wide angle secondary camera.  Pictures are good, but not as good as the G6 due to lack of OIS.  Similar to the G6, you can switch to a manual mode for more control over iso, exposure, metering etc etc. 
The 7 plus has a much better selfie camera, if you are so inclined.

Software

LG G6 - This has LG's take on Android, which is pretty good in my opinion. Its one of the more user friendly UIs out there and not radically customized like Huawei or Xiaomi phones.  The additions made by LG are mostly useful and add utility rather than bloatware. This also got the Oreo update so all good there.

Nokia 7 plus - One of its bigger selling points is the fact it comes with pure android oreo with very little bloat or unnecessary duplication of apps. Its smooth as butter and is guaranteed to get updates for at least a couple of years as it is a part of the Android One programme.  The fast processor plus stock android makes for a smooth user experience.

Waterproofing
LG G6 - This is IP68 waterproof, which means it can withstand FULL immersion under water for half an hour, upto a couple of meters. Which means you can shower with it or even hit the pool, not to mention the fact that accidental splashes will not damage it at all.  Imo this is a big plus in its favour.

Nokia 7 plus - Unfortunately is not waterproof.  Build quality is otherwise fantastic. Good looking phone.

Lets summarise. 

If you want a good camera, fast processor,  stable software and high end display and water resistance, go for the G6.  It also has great audio output and looks smashing.

If you value battery life, smooth UI, large screen, decent camera and an efficient processor with stock android software with guaranteed updates for the next couple of years, I recommend the Nokia 7 plus.

Both are very good phones and will serve your needs.  You can take a call on the basis of what you prioritise more.

Just popped in to say thank you to 21stCenturySchizoidMan.  I bought a Nokia7 Plus based on this post back in June, and it has worked a treat.  Excellent post outlining the pros and cons.  Using it with a SIM only Tesco contract, I was an Orange/EE contract person for 10 years +, and I am glad I made the move.  Thanks again.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7607 on: August 29, 2018, 06:51:06 pm »
Cheers mate, good to know you are enjoying your new Nokia! Very nice phone.. Looks great too, quite different from its competitors.
Phuk yoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7608 on: September 4, 2018, 07:15:21 am »
https://www.gsmarena.com/lg_v40_thinq_will_have_stereo_boombox_speakers_and_quad_dac-news-33066.php

Audiophiles need to wait for this phone. Should sound amazing playing lossless music over a good pair of sennheisers or audiotechnica.

3.5 MM port has been retained too, which is great.
Phuk yoo

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #7609 on: September 9, 2018, 09:26:03 pm »
Just got S9 plus. Really impressed with it so far...
I have a double dip (at least I think that's the term) case on it, but I would like a screen protector as well. Can anybody recommend a good one please as any that I have looked at on Amazon have really mixed reviews. Thanks.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7610 on: September 11, 2018, 08:42:14 am »
I have struggled to find a good tempered glass for my S9. The curved screen really makes it hard for any screen guard to stay put.  Have given up trying to find one...
Phuk yoo

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #7611 on: September 12, 2018, 10:54:06 am »
I have struggled to find a good tempered glass for my S9. The curved screen really makes it hard for any screen guard to stay put.  Have given up trying to find one...

Ak ok, yeah I'm thinking the same myself now, thanks.
Never tried the liquid screen protectors, but the reviews on Amazon are very mixed.

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #7612 on: September 12, 2018, 04:10:41 pm »
https://www.gsmarena.com/lg_v40_thinq_will_have_stereo_boombox_speakers_and_quad_dac-news-33066.php

Audiophiles need to wait for this phone. Should sound amazing playing lossless music over a good pair of sennheisers or audiotechnica.

3.5 MM port has been retained too, which is great.

Shame its an LG so will be waiting months and months for new Android versions and go about 6 months between getting security patches.

LG simply do not support their devices and leave them unpatched.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7613 on: September 13, 2018, 07:38:56 am »
Shame its an LG so will be waiting months and months for new Android versions and go about 6 months between getting security patches.

LG simply do not support their devices and leave them unpatched.

I admit LG are not the quickest when it comes to android version updates.  But to the average user, does it really matter if they are using Android 7 or 8, given that there are barely any functional changes between the versions? I am still able to use pretty much all apps that i need on My Kitkat (!!) phone, which is now 4 years old. Also have a V20 that is on Marshmallow and i haven't come across a single app that fails to run because of it.

In fact, many updates actually ruin the user experience in some way. Case in point, my wife's S7edge was horribly laggy after an update to Nougat and she had to go through the hoops to 'downgrade' (using Odin on desktop) to make it usable again.

Do agree about security updates, although i would be interested to hear from IT pros like you about the implications of using phones without security updates. What are the risks of using a non-updated phone?
Phuk yoo

Online ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #7614 on: September 13, 2018, 09:06:53 am »
Do agree about security updates, although i would be interested to hear from IT pros like you about the implications of using phones without security updates. What are the risks of using a non-updated phone?

I am not an IT pro but having bricked a phone I think I can try and relate my experiences on this.

I had my first android in 2010 and it was a Moto with Android 4.2 something I cant even remember. I had it for 2 years and had an upgrade probably twice. I used to cancel my upgrade because I didnt want to change the way it looked and felt. The problem was the upgrade was not only important for network and security, but also prevented the battery from overcharging and expanding in the process. I didnt know this. Towards the end of 2 years, one fine morning, the battery had ballooned up like a pop corn bag and popped the battery cover across the hall. I thought it was a one off situation and changed the battery. In hindsight I should have done the upgrade first. The new battery wasnt optimised with the charging software and it fluctuated like shit. The battery was 100% in the morning. Went down to 20% in the afternoon. Went up to 75% by evening and finally 50% in the night. This should have been a warning. I still didnt upgrade. One morning, the battery terminals just melted and cooked the insides of the phone. Thankfully it was not inside my bag, or worse, in my pocket. God knows what those acids might have done. I researched more on this and found out that upgrades dont necessarily mean security patches. They could optimize a ton of other codes that make the phone more efficient than before, more safe than before and in all probability, functionally and aesthetically better.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7615 on: September 13, 2018, 09:51:46 am »
Interesting, cheers.

For me, i havent faced any issues so far in about 6 years of using Android phones. There could be app incompatibility issues for very old android versions, but even that can be taken care of using older apks from apkmirror and the likes.   

I do want to know if delayed security updates can put me at risk of being hacked through a backdoor or something and have all my information stolen. That is a big concern.

I care very less for aesthetic updates. I hinestly prefer Marshmallow over Nougat and Oreo to be honest.  The next one is going to be worse, with gesture based BS built into it like Apple IOS and traditional multitasking/task switcher made redundant.  Applefying the OS is defeating the whole point of ANdroid.

I digress....
Phuk yoo

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #7616 on: September 13, 2018, 10:10:44 am »
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 global was recommended to me by Red Irishman

delighted with it. 200 euros was a good price

i notice my electricity bills have recently been through the roof, wonder is one reason because i kept having to charge my old phone (and sometimes it didnt even charge).

this one doesnt need nearly as much charge, i charged it in work to about 98% on tuesday afternoon, it was still at 20% at 7am this morning (39 hours).

I bought this online, https://www.ebay.ie/itm/282813373131, the usb lead that came with the phone didnt fit it but the one for my old phone did fit it. twice i have charged it from 40% too 100% in about an hour.

battery is brilliant. good photos and storage. all good so far with it, would recommend if you dont want to break the bank .

It seems to pick up signals better in my house too meaning wifi isnt as important, usage is typically a lot of spotify and browsing plus when in work about 3 hours of bluetooth for my driving.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #7617 on: September 13, 2018, 10:18:50 am »
When I saw people celebrating on social media apple having 500GB storage I nearly had an anneurysm, they are charging like $1500 for that - a 256GB micro SD card is like £60 FFS the prices are scandalous, they have such a cult following that the stupid people don't see (or care which is worse) they are absolutely getting robbed!

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7618 on: September 13, 2018, 10:22:29 am »
When I saw people celebrating on social media apple having 500GB storage I nearly had an anneurysm, they are charging like $1500 for that - a 256GB micro SD card is like £60 FFS the prices are scandalous, they have such a cult following that the stupid people don't see (or care which is worse) they are absolutely getting robbed!

The big money isn't really for the bigger storage though. Its for the services around the phone, the build quality, the way Apple products just tend to 'work'.

In my experience (18+ years of being a Mac owner) Apple products are premium products that last, not just physically but performance wise too, and for that I'm happy to pay a premium.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7619 on: September 13, 2018, 10:27:27 am »

60-70 quid will get you a Sandisk class 10 512 GB SD card! 

Yet we'll see millions being sold around the globe. A lot of them on contract, where the gormless users will end up paying more than the cost of hardware and a separate sim only deal. Taking on debt for a phone is ridiculous!  1000-1500 for a phone is ludicrous.

If you cannot afford it outright, you cannot afford it, period.
Phuk yoo

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7620 on: September 13, 2018, 10:29:14 am »

Honestly what a ridiculous thing to say.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7621 on: September 13, 2018, 10:34:16 am »

Not at all.

Phones on contract, especially iphones cost more through the life of the contract. You are essentially taking a loan for the phone and paying it via monthly installments, which exceeds the actual cost of the phone. This is not a car or a house we are talking about, its a smartphone.

I never buy phones on a contract and i always recommend others to do the same. I bought my S9 outright for about 650, no additional expenses apart from my monthly sim contract. Same with my other phones, because i care about my hard earned money.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/sep/18/iphone-x-wrong-kind-mobile-phone-data-contract
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 10:38:36 am by 21stCenturySchizoidMan »
Phuk yoo

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7622 on: September 13, 2018, 10:40:19 am »
Not at all.

Phones on contract, especially iphones cost more through the life of the contract. You are essentially taking a loan for the phone and paying it via monthly installments, which exceeds the actual cost of the phone. This is not a car or a house we are talking about, its a smartphone.

I never buy phones on a contract and i always recommend others to do the same. I bought my S9 outright for about 650, no additional expenses apart from my monthly sim contract. Same with my other phones, because i care about my hard earned money.

Good for you, however I'm not sure that puts you in a position to make such a ridiculous claim as you just did.

A phone for many people is something they use more than their car, and is as important to them for their everyday life as a car, so why is buying a car monthly any different?

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #7623 on: September 13, 2018, 10:43:39 am »

Personally I share his opinion.

Yes, buying things on finance makes us all able to afford things we normally wouldn't, but it's gone mad now, finance and loans used to be for big important things like having a better car, or buying a bigger house with a tighter mortgage, now people spent thousands on phones that do the same thing as a £200 one from Xiomi all because of status, that's the truth at least where I live... yeah that phone does all my iPhone does... but it's not an iPhone... honestly some people's view on it.

People finance laptops, phones, etc etc... things that shouldn't need financing, no wonder a lot of the population has money issues, yes the companies overcharge etc but people keep buying and buying for status alone when really, they can't afford it outright... so why are you buying it on finance to even pay MORE than what you initially couldn't afford?

I'm not an "android fanboi" by any stretch (also why does not liking Apple make you a "fanboy" of somethign else, I dunno) but I do believe Apple embodies all that is wrong with Capitalism which I don't like.

Good for you, however I'm not sure that puts you in a position to make such a ridiculous claim as you just did.

A phone for many people is something they use more than their car, and is as important to them for their everyday life as a car, so why is buying a car monthly any different?

I mean before it was because car makes with more credible names afforded you more luxury and comfort (used to be safety too but now they all have to follow the same standards)... I think the same still applies, if you buy a top end Merc or Audi you get way more than you do in a Dacia or SsangYong.

If you buy a Xiaomi top end phone you get the same you get in an S9 or iPhone X bar the name.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 10:46:05 am by PhilV »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7624 on: September 13, 2018, 10:52:08 am »

Because an average car costs 10 times as much?  You don't take a loan for a stereo system or a laptop, do you? If you do, god help you then! ;D

Phuk yoo

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7625 on: September 13, 2018, 10:52:13 am »
but I do believe Apple embodies all that is wrong with Capitalism which I don't like.

You know Android is owned by Google (and a bunch of other huge corporations), right?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7626 on: September 13, 2018, 10:54:11 am »
You don't take a loan for a stereo system or a laptop, do you?

Absolutely loads will buy consumer electronics like that on either finance from the store or on a credit card so they can spread the cost over a number of months.

That doesn't mean they can't afford them by a long shot and to suggest so is wrong.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7627 on: September 13, 2018, 10:56:03 am »
Yes it absolutely means that. The whole point of finance is to make non affordable purchases affordable. Nobody would have taken loans if they had the money.

If 'affordability' means ability to acquire debt, then my definition is drastically different from yours...!

Anyway, we are talking economics now. An idea for a new thread perhaps? The merits of taking on debt for all and sundry...

Back to phones....
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 11:06:20 am by 21stCenturySchizoidMan »
Phuk yoo

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #7628 on: September 13, 2018, 10:57:42 am »
You know Android is owned by Google (and a bunch of other huge corporations), right?

Yes, Google and OHA.

Google as a whole embodies lots of bad Capitalist virtues, all large conglomerates do, but they are definitely the lesser of two evils here, so "what about this and that" arguments aren't what I am after here, I simply do not care about either company in such a way to defend them, in fact I think it's downright sad as fuck that people are "fans" of companies and automatically queue and buy products from them just because of the brand, that is ridiculous.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7629 on: September 13, 2018, 10:59:45 am »
Yes it absolutely means that. The whole point of finance is to make non affordable purchases affordable. Nobody would have taken loans if they had the money.

If 'affordability' means ability to acquire debt, then my definition is drastically different from yours....

The point of finance is to make high value products available immediately rather than having to save in advance. Many people are fully able to afford a set amount coming out their pay packet each month to pay for goods they have purchased in this way.

If your definition of afford is something you can only pay for, in full, up front then it's a fairly basic definition.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7630 on: September 13, 2018, 11:09:06 am »
Yes, Google and OHA.

Google as a whole embodies lots of bad Capitalist virtues, all large conglomerates do, but they are definitely the lesser of two evils here, so "what about this and that" arguments aren't what I am after here, I simply do not care about either company in such a way to defend them, in fact I think it's downright sad as fuck that people are "fans" of companies and automatically queue and buy products from them just because of the brand, that is ridiculous.

Well on the last part I totally agree.

I purchase their products because I've had nothing but great experiences with them for nearly 2 decades now. My first Mac (iMac) lasted me close to 10 years and only broke as I dropped it - performance was great during that time and I only ever upgraded the memory. I bought a second Mac (mini) to replace that and it's still going strong nearly 8 years on (again, only upgraded the memory in that time). I've had similar experiences with iPhones and iPads.

I know loads of people who've had the same experiences too. Their products are priced as premium products, but I've always felt I've definitely got what I've paid for.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7631 on: September 13, 2018, 11:11:14 am »
Embrace the wireless future people.. APple do not want you using your 200 quid Audiotechnica or Bose headphones...  Use their shitty airpods instead!

https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_will_no_longer_provide_lightning_to_35mm_adapter_with_the_iphone-news-33240.php
Phuk yoo

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7632 on: September 13, 2018, 11:20:55 am »

;D do you have a mortgage?

There would be a lot less mobiles sold these days if they weren’t on contract. People are happy paying monthly for things they use everyday car/phone.
What is wrong with that?

Obviously your opinion is in the minority so it doesn’t really mean much to the majority but I had to comment because it is quite silly.

I’ve put a phone on a credit card in the past 0% on purchases. Savings earned some interest. Not much in this day and age but still. It’s there to fall on if my boiler goes or something else.

Oh my car is on lease too £170. I can’t afford £20,000 in one hit sorry but that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t get a brand new car for peanuts a month but run a shed that I can afford outright :)

Online ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #7633 on: September 13, 2018, 11:22:24 am »
Embrace the wireless future people.. APple do not want you using your 200 quid Audiotechnica or Bose headphones...  Use their shitty airpods instead!

https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_will_no_longer_provide_lightning_to_35mm_adapter_with_the_iphone-news-33240.php

Dont worry. I heard of a rumour from my neighbour, whose dog's doctor's assistant overheard a bus conductor talking to a person from the local municipal office whose duty once a quarter is to go to apple HQ to take the trash out from the basement.

He seems to suggest that Apple are reinventing the headphones with 3 new models and 12 derivatives of headphones. With prices starting at $799 for the base headphone and $1199 for the most expensive one.

Hearing this, my neighbour, being the hipster that he is, bought a tent with #ResistCapitalism printed on the sheet and started camping outside the local Apple Store surviving on quinoa and chia bagel.

Must be true.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7634 on: September 13, 2018, 11:32:41 am »

Or, if you haven't got the adapter already from the previous models, you can pay about £10 for one. Not great but no need to chuck out those 200 quid Audiotechnica or Bose headphones just yet.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7635 on: September 13, 2018, 11:38:13 am »
Already said loans are the norm for bigger purchases, which includes cars/vehicles.  I am talking about relatively lower costing products, such as phones, home appliances and consumer electronics, which should not require loans, especially when you end up paying more for a product you did not have the ability to purchase outright.  You are essentially banking on a steady income stream in the future to pay for your purchases , which (god forbid) could stop or reduce due to many possible reasons. This is more justified for bigger, more essential purchases like a house or car or medical equipment. An iphone xs or whatever is not an 'essential' purchase by any means. A 300 GBP phone can do almost all the tasks that an iphone can do, perhaps more.

I do concede modern consumerism is highly dependent on availability of credit, even for the smallest purchases. I might be in the minority here... But for me, if you need to take out a loan for a Bose system (As an example), you can absolutely do without it.  I can understand if you need to take out a loan for a house. Many do it for tax reasons too. But you are not getting any benefit from taking on debt for all and sundry.  You end up paying more, sometimes a lot more, in getting even with your financier.  That is how they make money...

I believe in the old fashioned definition of affordability, meaning ability to pay for a product/service on your own accord.

Lets get back to phones shall we! :D

Phuk yoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7636 on: September 13, 2018, 11:44:56 am »
Or, if you haven't got the adapter already from the previous models, you can pay about £10 for one. Not great but no need to chuck out those 200 quid Audiotechnica or Bose headphones just yet.

You agree its a pain? They basically want consumers to buy their expensive airpods. Allow me to make a prediction. I think apple will do away with wired audio output completely, with only bluetooth audio available in the next two years.

Plus you cannot listen to music while charging unless you have a splitter or something, yet another thing needed to acquire basic functionality.  Bluetooth pods need charging and have inherent audio quality limitations.

They have even removed the headphone jack from the new ipad!
Phuk yoo

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #7637 on: September 14, 2018, 07:49:01 am »
On the "paying for a phone over the contract" point.

I'm sure I'm not the only one paying 0% for my phone over the contract.

My phone when I bought it would have been about £460.

I leave you to work out 460÷24.

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #7638 on: September 14, 2018, 01:58:27 pm »
Interesting, cheers.

For me, i havent faced any issues so far in about 6 years of using Android phones. There could be app incompatibility issues for very old android versions, but even that can be taken care of using older apks from apkmirror and the likes.   

I do want to know if delayed security updates can put me at risk of being hacked through a backdoor or something and have all my information stolen. That is a big concern.

Of course they can depending upon what is in the security patch. It is no different to skipping Windows updates etc. In fact if you are installing stuff from 3rd party sources, you are more at risk as you have no idea of the legitemacy of those apks and they may have been altered to take advantage of unpatched OS flaws.

Any responsible handset maker will keep up with the upstream patches, my LG phone is currently on January 2018 patch. Never again will I buy anything from LG, they may have moved their brand forward but it's still the same old Goldstar shite underneath.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7639 on: September 14, 2018, 02:14:56 pm »
OnePlus have announced they will be removing the 3.5mm jack from their next phones.

How will people listen to their 200 quid Audiotechnica or Bose headphones now?