Author Topic: What mobile phone?  (Read 868901 times)

Offline mikekane

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: What mobile phone?
« Reply #7960 on: April 21, 2020, 04:13:48 pm »
Look for xioami phones specifically redmi series you will find a better one for you.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #7961 on: April 21, 2020, 04:50:51 pm »
Huawei P30 lads, any thoughts? Don't have the finances to splash out on something really expensive at the moment but can pick one of these up for a good deal and get a Huawei GT watch thrown in for free at the same time.

Heard good things, but worth noting the GSMarena review gave it 4 and a half stars out of 5!

https://m.gsmarena.com/hauwei_p30-review-1919.php

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7962 on: April 21, 2020, 09:51:32 pm »
I’m glad I switched to the Pixel 4 from iPhone. I much prefer it and the camera is pretty sweet.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7963 on: April 22, 2020, 08:26:19 am »
I’m glad I switched to the Pixel 4 from iPhone. I much prefer it and the camera is pretty sweet.

The Pixel 4 is a great phone, but I'm finding the battery life really poor, I take mine of charge at 5am, it's back on charge again by 6pm. My Pixel 3a was getting at least 24 hours with the same usage. I'm half tempted to put my sim back in the 3a and trade in the 4 if I can get a decent price.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #7964 on: April 25, 2020, 04:48:13 pm »
So umm errmmm new SE or wait a bit for Android makers to crap the bed and throw something similar together?

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #7965 on: April 25, 2020, 11:25:41 pm »
So umm errmmm new SE or wait a bit for Android makers to crap the bed and throw something similar together?
Do you mean a mid-range version of a flagship?  There are already a few Androids like that - the Google Pixel 3a and Pixel XL 3a are meant to be great alternatives to the Pixel 3 and Pixel XL 3.  I think the 4a is coming soon and it should be good.  Samsung also have "lite" versions of some of their flagships too.  The iPhone SE does look like a great budget phone though tbf.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7966 on: April 26, 2020, 09:41:09 pm »
Just bought the Redmi Note 8 Pro for myself and the Redmi 8A for my Mum. Came to £268 for the both of them, plus I get a free pair of the noise cancelling earphones and a Mi Smart Band 4 for an extra £9.99. On top of that I got £20 off the total bill due to spending over £200. Mental deal for all that for £257.99. I ended up ordering the Mi Smart Scale 2 for £24.99 as well due to it being on offer

Anyone got the Redmi Note 8 Pro? Can't wait for it to come on Tuesday

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7967 on: April 27, 2020, 11:20:36 am »

Anyone got the Redmi Note 8 Pro? Can't wait for it to come on Tuesday

Sounds a good deal, the Note itself is usually priced just short of £200!  I hear good things about the Redmi line on GSMArena and XDA.

It has an FM radio! And infrared. I'm a pain in the arse with my Xiaomi's infrared, have installed a universal telly remote app so I can turn off the mancs' games in pubs  ;D

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7968 on: April 28, 2020, 05:41:40 pm »
Getting a Mi Band 4 - meant to have weeks of battery life. I want a watch and something to track steps and this looks ideal for £25!

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7969 on: April 29, 2020, 01:45:34 pm »
Just got one of them, used it for the last 2 days properly. It's really good so far, lightweight, screen is clear, easy to use as well. Tracks steps well and monitors sleep. Can use it to control music on your phone apparently as well but I haven't tested that out. The alarm works well though

On a side note the Redmi Note 8 Pro is a phenomenal phone, especially at the price it sells for. Once you get used to the OS and disable some things it works as good as stock Android. Getting the MIUI 12 update as well apparently which is for Android 10

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7970 on: May 1, 2020, 10:54:53 am »
Do you mean a mid-range version of a flagship?  There are already a few Androids like that - the Google Pixel 3a and Pixel XL 3a are meant to be great alternatives to the Pixel 3 and Pixel XL 3.  I think the 4a is coming soon and it should be good.  Samsung also have "lite" versions of some of their flagships too.  The iPhone SE does look like a great budget phone though tbf.

I was looking at the SE but I think once you either buy it at £400 and spend £200 a year on a low cost SIM I might as well wait for the Iphone 12 (lower spec versions) and get something on contract or the 11 later in the year

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7971 on: May 1, 2020, 11:18:21 am »
Just got one of them, used it for the last 2 days properly. It's really good so far, lightweight, screen is clear, easy to use as well. Tracks steps well and monitors sleep. Can use it to control music on your phone apparently as well but I haven't tested that out. The alarm works well though

Spot on. Second day with it and loving it. Screen is boss, it's so light and useful. Only down to 90% battery so far, so excited to see just how long I can drag the battery life out!

I was looking at the SE but I think once you either buy it at £400 and spend £200 a year on a low cost SIM I might as well wait for the Iphone 12 (lower spec versions) and get something on contract or the 11 later in the year

Why would you not consider an Android phone at that price point? And I'm here to talk you out of contracts. They're never worth it. You always pay way more than the cost of the phone.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7972 on: May 1, 2020, 11:35:05 am »
Yeah, the days of me getting a phone on contract are over, The Guardian had an article last year, apparently getting a phone on contract is between £150 and £250 a year more expensive. I buy a handset outright, normally around the £500 mark (although I paid £600 for the Pixel 4), every couple of years. I'm on an unlimited plan with 3 which costs me £20 a month. Sorted.

The handsets work out cheaper, they're unlocked at POS and I can legally sell them on whenever It like.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7973 on: May 1, 2020, 12:00:52 pm »
Why would you not consider an Android phone at that price point? And I'm here to talk you out of contracts. They're never worth it. You always pay way more than the cost of the phone.

I've had Android phones since 1974 :P and getting tired of slow updates, bugs, missing features/apps and mainly most of family now on Apple for phones (Facetime etc)

The SE is ahead on Speed and Camera now at that price point, I'll see how Android reacts before buying new (I'm on S7 now) but not holding much hope

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7974 on: May 1, 2020, 02:09:43 pm »
I've had Android phones since 1974 :P and getting tired of slow updates, bugs, missing features/apps and mainly most of family now on Apple for phones (Facetime etc)

The SE is ahead on Speed and Camera now at that price point, I'll see how Android reacts before buying new (I'm on S7 now) but not holding much hope

Every manufacturer is different with Android rollouts, but I understand the need to stay in the Apple ecosystem if family are married to Apple stuff!

Just costs more overall, and I don't know what apps and features exactly Android is missing (whatsapp works great instead of Facetime for example), but yeah, iPhones are still good.. just hope you get a good deal, I know too many people paying nearly double on a contract what the handset costs  :)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7975 on: May 1, 2020, 02:36:30 pm »
Every manufacturer is different with Android rollouts, but I understand the need to stay in the Apple ecosystem if family are married to Apple stuff!

Just costs more overall, and I don't know what apps and features exactly Android is missing (whatsapp works great instead of Facetime for example), but yeah, iPhones are still good.. just hope you get a good deal, I know too many people paying nearly double on a contract what the handset costs  :)

Yeah always pay more with contract of course, I might look at Sky seeing as I'm already paying for sports when it's on, they should do a deal

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7976 on: May 1, 2020, 06:18:54 pm »
Yeah, the days of me getting a phone on contract are over, The Guardian had an article last year, apparently getting a phone on contract is between £150 and £250 a year more expensive. I buy a handset outright, normally around the £500 mark (although I paid £600 for the Pixel 4), every couple of years. I'm on an unlimited plan with 3 which costs me £20 a month. Sorted.

The handsets work out cheaper, they're unlocked at POS and I can legally sell them on whenever It like.

If you buy a phone on contract then that supplier (say virgin) have to unlock it for you at the end of the contract,it's usually done by code.

Not that I've had a contract phone for years because like you said they're more expensive.Annoying when you look at the prices the Yanks pay for grouped contracts that also provide free phones.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7977 on: May 1, 2020, 06:30:34 pm »

If you buy a phone on contract then that supplier (say virgin) have to unlock it for you at the end of the contract,it's usually done by code.

Not that I've had a contract phone for years because like you said they're more expensive.Annoying when you look at the prices the Yanks pay for grouped contracts that also provide free phones.
I know that mate, but when you buy a handset, it's unlocked from the off. If you intend to use a phone for a while, getting on contract and paying a bit more means sod all, if you're a fickle bastard, such as myself, you need to have a phone unlocked from the off.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #7978 on: May 1, 2020, 11:24:29 pm »
With my S20+ whenever I go out of our flat, down the lift and out I just lose data signal and can't get it back for ages, even with restarts. After a restart it tends to sit on 'Emergency Calls Only' for a while. Anybody experienced that?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7979 on: May 2, 2020, 02:16:19 pm »
Boss Xiaomi phone coming to the UK finally

- Mini sdcard slot
- Fast charging
- expected to be under 350!
- HEADPHONE JACK
- Infrared blaster for tellies etc.
- Splash proof coating

Redmi Note 9 Pro. No date announced yet. But for that price it's a knockout. The non pro version should be even cheaper

https://m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_9s-review-2104.php
Four stars
« Last Edit: May 2, 2020, 02:30:59 pm by ToneLa »

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #7980 on: May 11, 2020, 08:21:35 pm »
Is the Samsung S10 much of an upgrade from the S9?

I get an upgrade through work, I know the S20 is out now but I don't think what will be an option. Ta.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7981 on: May 12, 2020, 09:19:42 am »
Is the Samsung S10 much of an upgrade from the S9?

I get an upgrade through work, I know the S20 is out now but I don't think what will be an option. Ta.

GSM Arena sez:

The S10 makes a lot of sense as a replacement for the S9 in a way that a yearly upgrade rarely does - two more cameras on the back and a new one on the front sounds like reason enough. If you're coming from the S9+, it's less definitive, because last year's Plus still has better battery life and is only missing an ultra wide cam.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #7982 on: May 14, 2020, 12:45:08 pm »
GSM Arena sez:

The S10 makes a lot of sense as a replacement for the S9 in a way that a yearly upgrade rarely does - two more cameras on the back and a new one on the front sounds like reason enough. If you're coming from the S9+, it's less definitive, because last year's Plus still has better battery life and is only missing an ultra wide cam.

Nice swan la.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7983 on: May 21, 2020, 04:57:18 pm »
Are they really putting a Snapdragon 730 in the Pixel4a? That's not selling me on the 4a much

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7984 on: May 21, 2020, 06:02:20 pm »
Are they really putting a Snapdragon 730 in the Pixel4a? That's not selling me on the 4a much
It's the 670 in the 3a and I use that over the pixel 4 all the time. I doubt you'll tell the difference, especially with normal use. I think specs have made the android market nuts. 670, 730, 855 the difference is smaller than that of the numbers.

Offline Horizon

• Main Stander
« Reply #7985 on: May 23, 2020, 12:24:03 am »
A2 lite is still such a great phone even now, got one in great condition on eBay for £70 4gb/64gb model. 

The battery life is still insane, getting 2-day use on it actually feels better than the listed 4000mah battery.

Don't see the need to be paying £400-600 for my phone if I'm not going to use most of those extra features.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 12:27:51 am by Horizon »

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7986 on: May 27, 2020, 04:45:32 pm »
Boss Xiaomi phone coming to the UK finally

- Mini sdcard slot
- Fast charging
- expected to be under 350!
- HEADPHONE JACK
- Infrared blaster for tellies etc.
- Splash proof coating

Redmi Note 9 Pro. No date announced yet. But for that price it's a knockout. The non pro version should be even cheaper

https://m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_9s-review-2104.php
Four stars

Is this phone out now? Contract ending with ee and moving onto sim only. Got an s9 atm which is fine but battery life starting to dwindle so will be looking to buy another handset in the near future.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7987 on: May 27, 2020, 04:53:20 pm »
Is this phone out now? Contract ending with ee and moving onto sim only. Got an s9 atm which is fine but battery life starting to dwindle so will be looking to buy another handset in the near future.

Yeah, but only just come out. It's on Tecobuy (I got my tablet from them just fine) for £215 - bargain. Shop around like, ebay is a good bet too when you find a seller with tons and tons of feedback who does it for a living.

--

The Mi Band 4 I started wearing on the last day of April finally ran out of juice - charging it again for the first time since I got it  ;D Ace
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 04:55:03 pm by ToneLa »

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #7988 on: August 3, 2020, 05:39:00 pm »
Just pre-ordered the Pixel 4a, which was announced finally today. Cost of $349 in the US.

Hoping the camera is as advertised, cos that’s my main motivation for a new phone!  Never used to be arsed about cameras on phones, but since I moved, I go out walking or on my bike 3 or 4 times a week, so it’d be nice to be able to actually take some photos without lugging around my camera.

Been using a Oneplus 5t since it game out in 2017 I think. Good phone - apart from the godawful camera!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7989 on: August 3, 2020, 07:17:26 pm »
Heard the Pixel 4a is a bit slow! I mean I'm still on an S7 so can't talk :D but feeling slow isn't a good sign

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7990 on: August 3, 2020, 07:35:32 pm »
I’d be surprised if the 4a is slow. I had the 3a and that thing was smooth and fast, the 4a has a better processor and an extra 2gbs RAM so should be even quicker.

The lack of wireless charging would put me off if I was after a new phone though, especially given the 4a’s battery is on the smaller side.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #7991 on: August 3, 2020, 07:38:26 pm »
Never had wireless charging, can’t say I’d even looked to see if it had it  ;D Not something I’m arsed about.

I don’t use phones heavily, just a bit of texting, the occasional call, and to play podcasts on, and now for taking some photos. The pretty light use is one major reason I never go for the high-end ones!

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #7992 on: August 3, 2020, 07:38:42 pm »
Seems the mid range market can't get away with putting in flagship chipsets in their phones anymore.

The pixel 4a is going with the Snapdragon 730 which is a 2019 budget based processor compared with the current generation Snapdragon 865.

It seems the thinking is that most people won't know the difference with a fast processor anymore when the OS can be snappy (which Google will dominate)

Word of warning with the pixel, it's a plastic phone and wont be as durable as current phones. The Jerryrig testing will be interesting to see.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7993 on: August 4, 2020, 09:21:20 am »
I’d be surprised if the 4a is slow. I had the 3a and that thing was smooth and fast, the 4a has a better processor and an extra 2gbs RAM so should be even quicker.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dlHnleQU9tQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dlHnleQU9tQ</a>

From about 6 mins in. Might the the one thing making me hesitate over grabbing one

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7994 on: August 5, 2020, 08:17:04 am »
I didn't think the 3a's performance was that bad at all (Marques Brownlee does spend his time arsing about with flagships, it may seem slow up to some he uses), then again I only used it for a month or so before going back to my iPhone.  I'll probably pick one up to play around with when they're released in October.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #7995 on: August 5, 2020, 12:56:32 pm »
My Xperia Z3C which was more than adequate for 90% of what I needed it to do has developed an annoying fault where the bottom 3-4 mm of the screen, where the back/home/recent buttons are, has lost touch sensitivity as has the right hand 1-2mm of the screen.

Despite protecting the phone this seems a common fault and I am guessing that a new digitiser/screen from Sony will be in the region of £100 but even if I get it fixed I imagine that various apps will stop working on Marshmallow soon and I will need to replace it anyway.

To buy a bit of time while deciding what to do I have employed various workarounds.  I used 'glove' mode for a while which renders the device unusable (though I didn't try it with gloves).  I now use one handed keyboard (aligned to the right) which means I can type the letter 'P' and I have installed a navigation bar app which materialises when I swipe up.  The app is a bit of a pain sometimes and puts adverts on the home screen when charging, but the phone is otherwise useable.

Since I last came in here (4 years ago!) asking for advice about a modestly sized yet reasonably capable device, phones have got even bigger, while my trousers are (about) the same size.  As someone who keeps his phone in his pocket most of the time, I am once again forced to confront my dislike of larger phones and the prospect of an Apple device which might be smaller (as a Windows/Linux user my experience with Apple products through the kids' iPods/iTunes was always a bit of a nightmare).

I am a reasonably tech savvy (build PCs etc.) but have long since lost track of the phone market.  I usually go sim-free and switched to Smarty recently after GiffGaff hiked all its prices for lower data users. Smarty is good so far - £5 a month basic plus decent family/data discounts and it is easier to manage multiple phones (pm for invites/free credit!).

I would probably spend ~£300 on a new phone if I had to but would be happier nearer £200. I am not adverse to decent refurbs and have bought from cheap EU sites like Alza.co.uk (though not for phones).  I am minded to avoid Sony as I am a bit pissed off at them and Huawei due to access to store/updates etc. For new phones I looked at the Motorola G8 Plus/Power (huge), Samsung A20 (lots of installed crap), Pixel 3a (bit pricey/shit battery) and at refurbished Galaxy S8/S9 and older iPhone 7/8.

Given that I am now sick of looking, it would be great to hear from anyone who shares this dilema or has experience with any of these phones.

Thanks
RR

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #7996 on: August 5, 2020, 01:10:29 pm »
I would probably spend ~£300 on a new phone if I had to but would be happier nearer £200. I am not adverse to decent refurbs and have bought from cheap EU sites like Alza.co.uk (though not for phones).  I am minded to avoid Sony as I am a bit pissed off at them and Huawei due to access to store/updates etc. For new phones I looked at the Motorola G8 Plus/Power (huge), Samsung A20 (lots of installed crap), Pixel 3a (bit pricey/shit battery) and at refurbished Galaxy S8/S9 and older iPhone 7/8.

I know you said the pixel 3a is a bit pricy but £289.00 would be in your ballpark. Great software

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOOGLE-Pixel-3a-64-GB-Android-Mobile-Smart-Phone-Just-Black/113749198290

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #7997 on: August 5, 2020, 02:13:23 pm »
I know you said the pixel 3a is a bit pricy but £289.00 would be in your ballpark. Great software

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOOGLE-Pixel-3a-64-GB-Android-Mobile-Smart-Phone-Just-Black/113749198290
OK, thanks - £40 is a decent price drop from when I last looked. I was initially drawn to it because it was less than 6" but reluctant to spend £330 (from memory the Z3C was ~£170).

Most reviewers seems to love the 3a camera, although some of the purists seem to think that it is down to the software rather than the hardware.  I like a nice photo but have never expected a relatively cheap phone to do as well as a camera.

I did see some reviewers moaning about the battery (or it that just a power user thing) and others that it was a bit plasticky (might be a phone snobbery thing).  Does anyone find lack of SD card support a pain?

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7998 on: August 5, 2020, 02:18:22 pm »
The 3a comes with 64gb which should be enough for most. As for the plastic thing, it actually feels remarkably solid and well made, obviously being plastic there’s no wireless charging though.

The battery life is okay. Got me through a full day, on charge by sound 7pm though. I’m currently using an iPhone SE 2020 and the pixels battery life is better... just about.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #7999 on: August 5, 2020, 02:33:59 pm »
The 3a comes with 64gb which should be enough for most. As for the plastic thing, it actually feels remarkably solid and well made, obviously being plastic there’s no wireless charging though.

The battery life is okay. Got me through a full day, on charge by sound 7pm though. I’m currently using an iPhone SE 2020 and the pixels battery life is better... just about.
Thanks, really useful to hear about peoples' real world experiences and interesting that the battey is better than the iPhone.  Only wondered about the memory because thats how I listen to most of my music at the moment rather than streaming - probably uses less battery than streaming (?)

Lack of wireless charging is certainly not a problem for me.