Author Topic: What mobile phone?  (Read 868714 times)

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
Re: What mobile phone?
« Reply #7800 on: May 3, 2019, 12:16:22 pm »

I love it. I've rooted it, so beware my experience is tweaked to battery life above all else (Greenify and L-Speed), but it's the best phone I've owned.

Screen is gorgeous. Proper premium feel to the whole thing in fact. Used to be fussy about notches but honestly stopped noticing. Built in software isn't even horrible!

Battery life, well, I wasn't expecting too much as it has slightly less capacity than my old Oneplus phone but this weekend I went out on Saturday, was up til 6am, taking photos and hammering it, and made the walk of shame early Sunday afternoon with a bit of a commute. Got home, slept, woke up and still had 20% left!

That's the kind of real world battery life I love!

Quick charge is handy (official / certified Qualcomm stuff is what I use) I imported from Italy so don't even have the full wattage of the proper UK kit as I just mixed and matched off generic Quickcharge certified gear

Wireless charging is slow but by slow I mean about the length of a footie game, convenient to chuck it down and pick it up. Wear and tear on the charger slot was what did for my last phone.

Wired even through unofficial plug and Amazon Basics cable is inside an hour. Super fast.

Camera is brilliant, here's St Luke's showing off the night photography (9:46pm this past Sat, so not pitch black but not far off, I found the following shot a bit artificial but you can toggle the AI camera's effects and set it to full manual). Proper impressed, never had a phone camera useful at night before. Was half cut and this was the long mad one I mentioned, the phone lasted well longer than I did  ;D

Click for big

That's great mate thinking of getting one when I get the funds together. What Are the advantages of rooting it and is it hard to do? I'm going to use hinorbuy when purchasing. I've the Note 5 at the minute and it's very slow to charge, apart from when it's turned off.

Good man for getting the jump Saturdsy night as well, keeping the flag flying!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #7801 on: May 6, 2019, 09:55:45 pm »

That's great mate thinking of getting one when I get the funds together. What Are the advantages of rooting it and is it hard to do?

Why root? Well, I do it so I can theme it all pitch black (I'm not a goth, promise haha) but install power consumption apps like Greenify (get that in the Play store, you don't "need" root but it can go super deep with root) and eliminate spyware and battery drain and the like. Audio mods too... it's not a must, it never is on Android.

If you've never rooted before I'd say aye it's a bit daunting... the XDA forums are boss but, like, this afternoon I went on to ask for help and all I got was two twats saying "well I don't have that problem...." Fucking hell, hope they aren't doctors!

I'd help you if you got one, but don't buy just to root unless you're a maniac like me who has rooted everything he's owned. That said, when the screen is off, I lose 3% battery overnight; out the box it's 18%.

Camera is to die for though

I'm going to use honorbuy when purchasing. I've the Note 5 at the minute and it's very slow to charge, apart from when it's turned off.

Used Honorbuy for my tablet a year or 18 months back, it's good :)

My mi9 charges so fast with a cable, but 1) I had to buy the wireless pad separately from China (though this was before it was out here) and 2) I've done a bit of reading around and I don't think it would be much faster than anyone else's wireless at all (and wireless is always longer than wired charging), although the Note 5 is old tech comparatively, so you might not be as cynical?

Good man for getting the jump Saturdsy night as well, keeping the flag flying!

Ta  ;D Gotta be done hasn't it... new phone = new camera = OUT!
« Last Edit: May 6, 2019, 10:11:33 pm by ToneLa »

Offline gary75

• Despite all his care, he suffers from a sticky ring.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #7802 on: May 9, 2019, 10:10:05 am »
It may not be an ideal solution, but to speed up the charging process, stick your phone in airplane mode.

Seems to make a big difference.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #7803 on: May 9, 2019, 10:14:55 am »
It may not be an ideal solution, but to speed up the charging process, stick your phone in airplane mode.

Seems to make a big difference.
it does indeed.

i can recommend these chargers too

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07M9X6XZ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GFB1SLC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

both two packs which were super value

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7804 on: May 19, 2019, 11:31:14 pm »
Not good for Huawei and won't be good for Apple either.

Google 'restricts Huawei's use of Android'

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #7805 on: May 20, 2019, 06:21:39 pm »
Not good for Huawei and won't be good for Apple either.

Google 'restricts Huawei's use of Android'

South Korea 1 - Donald Hahahahahahha
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7806 on: May 20, 2019, 08:08:24 pm »
Damn

Really wanted the Huawei P30 Pro as well.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7807 on: May 20, 2019, 09:07:22 pm »
Damn

I wonder how many of Drumpfs circle shorted their stock.

Something that the next Dem POTUS needs to investigate.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #7808 on: May 22, 2019, 12:34:44 pm »
Damn

You can still get one. You just wont get any Android update support (including security patches) in the future (and before anyone asks about 3rd party ROM support, Huawei and Honor are notorious for locking down their bootloaders so it's not going to be easy). Google play store and other google apps like Youtube wont be effected.

Huawei have much bigger issues to worry about for their future line up beyond 2019. ARM (The architecture used in basically every single mobile phone processor) will now have to stop supplying the licence to use their architecture in future chips. All discussions (which currently would have been about the 2020 lineup and chipset) are now on indefinite hold. 

There is currently a 90 day 'cooling off' period before the big ban kicks in. I still think its posturing by the Americas with the current China trade tariffs. One will blink and it will end

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7809 on: May 22, 2019, 12:36:41 pm »
Got my eye on the OnePlus 7 pro as my next phone. Bit pricier than they usually go for. But after usually having a new phone every 12-18 months, I'm thinking about spending a little more on a phone that will last the next 2-3 years

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #7810 on: May 22, 2019, 08:10:53 pm »
Got my eye on the OnePlus 7 pro as my next phone. Bit pricier than they usually go for. But after usually having a new phone every 12-18 months, I'm thinking about spending a little more on a phone that will last the next 2-3 years

I have the five and it's a dream, I'm considering it too. My only doubt is the pop up camera.

I barely take selfies and to be honest I wish they'd just not bothered with it

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #7811 on: May 22, 2019, 08:15:20 pm »

Still using the 3T. Great phones!

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7812 on: May 22, 2019, 10:45:18 pm »
Still using the 3T. Great phones!

I have the one plus 3 nearly 3 years now and its going great. Not really slowed down at all so cant see me needing a new phone for a couple more years at least.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #7813 on: May 22, 2019, 10:56:15 pm »
I have the one plus 3 nearly 3 years now and its going great. Not really slowed down at all so cant see me needing a new phone for a couple more years at least.

See while I love my 5 I've noticed a little bit of lag and two crashes recently

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7814 on: May 22, 2019, 10:57:33 pm »
Got myself a Samsung A50 last week, great mid-range phone.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #7815 on: May 23, 2019, 11:42:48 am »
one plus are indeed great phones

i had one for about 3.5 years but then the battery waned for about the last year i had it

wouldnt charge, little or no activity and it dropped 20%. tried a new battery (which is a bitch to fit) and nothing

just had run its course
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7816 on: May 23, 2019, 11:48:30 am »
I've had the 3 and currently rocking the red 5T.

Only issue I'm currently having is the horrendous screen burn from the AMOLED screen which is unfortunate. Part of me wants the 7 pro. But money might make me either go for the bog standard 7 or wait for the eventual 7T

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #7817 on: May 23, 2019, 06:47:45 pm »
3t now upgraded to latest Android Pie, not bad for an old phone

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #7818 on: May 24, 2019, 09:58:32 pm »
My Sony Xperia compact x is on the way out, will be three years old in October and I can still get a day out of it with average use. But I think its time for an upgrade. Got my eye on the pixel 3 and someone on here hooked me up with a decent offer to get it cheap enough, anyone got good or bad things to say about it?
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #7819 on: June 7, 2019, 01:28:05 pm »
My Sony Xperia compact x is on the way out, will be three years old in October and I can still get a day out of it with average use. But I think its time for an upgrade. Got my eye on the pixel 3 and someone on here hooked me up with a decent offer to get it cheap enough, anyone got good or bad things to say about it?

As a fellow Sony user and long term fan, I upgraded to the new Xperia 1 last week. Set it up on Thursday night, and sent it back to o2 on Monday. Worst phone I have had for ages. Swapped back to Samsung and got the S10; it takes a little while to get used to their interface but the phone runs really smoothly and the customisation options make it a pleasure to use. And; I have a Pixel Slate tablet, and it is nowhere near as simple as the Samsung OS, not as cleanly laid out as my old Sony tablet. I'm not sure if the Pixel phone runs in a similar way to the tablet, but I'd strongly recommend getting a play on one before committing. :wave

Offline ArthurDooley82

• Box-clever, non-pink, manly man's man. Contact for more details. No bibs! Grrrr :)
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #7820 on: June 12, 2019, 09:39:15 pm »
Anyone on here got a Sony experia XZ3 ?

Torn between a Sony xz3 or a Google Pixel 3a xl which is a bit cheaper

Online MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7821 on: June 12, 2019, 10:52:49 pm »
Literally every reviewer I’ve seen discuss the Pixel 3a says it’s the best budget smartphone in history. All I hear from Sony owners is either “meh” or “I sent it back”.
There are plenty of phones that are far better for much less.

Offline ArthurDooley82

• Box-clever, non-pink, manly man's man. Contact for more details. No bibs! Grrrr :)
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #7822 on: June 12, 2019, 11:24:14 pm »
Literally every reviewer I’ve seen discuss the Pixel 3a says it’s the best budget smartphone in history. All I hear from Sony owners is either “meh” or “I sent it back”.

Will check out a few more reviews on pixel 3a Xl plus you get a free google home mini I think with the phone if you purchase it from google

Offline ArthurDooley82

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7823 on: June 12, 2019, 11:25:07 pm »
There are plenty of phones that are far better for much less.

Which ones would you recommend?

Online MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7824 on: June 12, 2019, 11:34:06 pm »
Which ones would you recommend?
https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/xiaomi-launch-9t-smartphone-mi-band-4-3845096

I’m probably going to go for that one as it looks like the best bang for buck but there are a load of Chinese phones that are technically better than a pixel 3a.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #7825 on: June 13, 2019, 10:46:18 am »
Looking to get a new iphone on for my missus, her current one is a 7 and on it's last legs.

Can anyone recommend somewhere that's decent for deals or am I to stick to carphone warehouse etc?

It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #7826 on: June 13, 2019, 11:20:05 am »
https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/xiaomi-launch-9t-smartphone-mi-band-4-3845096

I’m probably going to go for that one as it looks like the best bang for buck but there are a load of Chinese phones that are technically better than a pixel 3a.

Up until China decides to fuck the world and grind us to a halt technologically :P

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7827 on: June 13, 2019, 11:48:58 am »
Looking to get a new iphone on for my missus, her current one is a 7 and on it's last legs.

Can anyone recommend somewhere that's decent for deals or am I to stick to carphone warehouse etc?

Try buymobiles.net

You can get the xr for 38 quid

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #7828 on: June 13, 2019, 12:37:16 pm »
Try buymobiles.net

You can get the xr for 38 quid

Nice swan mate.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7829 on: June 13, 2019, 10:23:50 pm »
I’d dispute that to be honest. I’m a huge advocate of Cheap and Chinese but until Xiaomi has a proper European distribution and repair network it makes them harder to recommend to a wider audience. Nothing cheaper will beat the Pixel 3 A’s camera, it’s got solid battery life because it’s not a 4K screen and will be right at the front of the queue for OTA updates on the pure Android build that drives it.

You can send me all the examples you like of phones that are better “technically” but in real world use I’m taking the Pixel every time.
Not much to dispute on the technical side. Would be interesting to compare the camera and the pixel a may be better but every other aspect is better in the mi 9t. faster processor and gpu, more ram, bigger battery, bigger oled screed with out much bezels and in display scanner (it’s a smaller phone with .4 inch bigger screen) pop up camera although this could possibly be unreliable but only time will tell.

I’ve never needed a phone to be fixed so not bothered about Xiaomi repair. The pixel will get updates quicker and more regularly as you mentioned but Xiaomi do android one phones so they have that covered with the mi a series. All things considered including that it is around 100 cheaper I think anyone would be mad to go for a pixel over the mi9t but each to their own!

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #7830 on: June 15, 2019, 12:21:32 am »
It seems Xiaomi are fucking around with the Mi9T Pro, otherwise known as the K20 Pro. Can't see a global version being launched for a while yet. Might just go with the regular Mi9T which looks a great phone.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7831 on: June 15, 2019, 01:07:22 am »

Same here, had mine since 2016, battery is still going strong and it runs everything I throw at it, I did get an update this morning and noticed it lagging on reboot where usually I can reboot it and it's good to go as soon as I put my password in, might have been a one off due to the update though

Been a great phone and lasted a lot longer than the big brands I've had in the past, had the plus 1 (which I still use in the house on wifi for a few things and still has life in it) and the plus 3 so will probably upgrade to a newer model in a year or so

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #7832 on: June 19, 2019, 11:23:02 am »
Got an Huawei P10 that's coming to end of it's contract in September (24 months).  Given all the shit with google i'l probably change which is a shame because i really like the phones - been excellent.

Any recommendations?  I'm currently paying £40/month for unlimited with 15gb data (which i hardly get anywhere near) but i have BT Sports included which has been a godsend for some of the Champs league games.  I did get about £50 rebate every 6 months as well.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7833 on: June 25, 2019, 01:42:54 am »

It does seem like most reviewers are a bit too quick to overlook hardware deficiencies compared to the value they place on the stock/pixel software experience.

Personally, I have no real interest in giving up useful features like a headphone socket or sd card slot just to get to run beta software on my phone nowadays, it was more of a benefit back when oem frontends were more bloated and android was less mature so you got major feature upgrades with a new os version.

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7834 on: July 2, 2019, 02:52:32 pm »
upgrade day thank fuck, S10 on the way(bollocks to 5g at that price)Been using daughters old iphone for 3 months, my god Ive hated every minute of it.
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline adruk87

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7835 on: July 4, 2019, 07:24:02 pm »
Many people got the Galaxy Note 9?

My contracts up next month, currently got an LG G6, just wondering if the Note 9 is much bigger and if it's just that bit too big to be manageable.
"Corner taken quickly, ORIGI!"

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7836 on: July 11, 2019, 07:44:08 am »
Many people got the Galaxy Note 9?

My contracts up next month, currently got an LG G6, just wondering if the Note 9 is much bigger and if it's just that bit too big to be manageable.

Will be a bit bigger, although not that much thicker than the G6.  And also a lot slippier.

Unless you absolutely need the stylus, better to get an S10E for 25% cheaper. 

Phuk yoo

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #7837 on: July 11, 2019, 08:58:57 am »
Need to upgrade my iphone 7, i honestly don't know whether to get the XR or go across to the Samsung S10+. My mate swears by them and his camera is phenomenal to be fair.

Shall I finally make the jump from fucking apple?

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7838 on: July 11, 2019, 01:45:27 pm »
Need to upgrade my iphone 7, i honestly don't know whether to get the XR or go across to the Samsung S10+. My mate swears by them and his camera is phenomenal to be fair.

Shall I finally make the jump from fucking apple?

Absolutely! I don't get why Apple have a hold over so many people. Everytime I have to do something on an iPad or iPhone I absolutely hate it. The UI is awful. You won't regret it! They seem to release things on their latest model about 2 years after other phone manufacturers have done so but market it as the LATEST AND GREATEST FEATURES FOR YOUR AMAZING iPhone, and the sheep absolutely all jump to buy it.

Seems wherever you go everyone has their stupid iPhone out taking shit pictures of their meals and clinking glasses together with those annoying fucking boomerang things.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #7839 on: July 11, 2019, 02:30:11 pm »
https://www.fairphone.com/en/

Sustainably-sourced phone, in which all the bits are easily replaceable and up-gradable (and you can send the old bits back for recycling), so you don't need a whole new phone to get the latest specs. Can do you for years and years and you aren't giving your money to a bunch of thieving c*nts that source their materials from Congolese slave-mines and have them made by suicidal Chinese factor workers, with inbuilt mechanisms that cause your phones to quickly degrade meaning you feel you need a new one every one or two years.