Poll

Southampton where can they end up? (But mostly Lallana.)

Top 4
31 (3.6%)
Top 6
123 (14.3%)
Top 8
371 (43.2%)
Midtable
264 (30.7%)
Relegation
70 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 858

Author Topic: Southampton FC general discussion thread  (Read 283980 times)

Offline Milkay Gundog

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Southampton FC general discussion thread
« on: October 4, 2013, 12:58:17 pm »
Southampton have signed some quality players enjoying a good season at the moment, they are high up in the table could they challenge for the top 6 places or even be a darkhorse for the top 4. Given that they also have money to spend and can strengthen their squad in January, as well as having a sound defense and an excellent coach in Pochettino what can they achieve this season ? 
« Last Edit: July 4, 2014, 01:35:03 pm by The 5th Benitle »

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Southampton where can they end up ?
« Reply #1 on: October 4, 2013, 01:00:44 pm »
top half. nowhere near top 6.

Offline BigAl24

• Would rather take one from the whole team than from just one billy goat.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 4, 2013, 01:01:08 pm »
Top 8.

Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Man Utd, Everton, Swansea and Southampton in the top 9. Not sure what order though.
"We change from doubters to believers. Now"

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #3 on: October 4, 2013, 01:02:52 pm »
I remember people underestimating them before we played this season. They are a good team with good manager. But still, can't see them finish in the top8 and they wont be engaged in relegation battle either. Comfortable mid table finish is what I expect of them
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline Macedonian Red Reborn

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 4, 2013, 01:05:40 pm »

Mid-table. they have a solid team and a good manager, so I can see them finishing 9th-10th.
"If I wanted you to understand, I'd have explained it better" Johan Cruyff

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 4, 2013, 01:11:11 pm »
Kinda like Southampton, see them as one of those traditional Premiership clubs along with the likes of Leeds, Leicester and Bolton.

I think they'll finish top 8 this season, looking quite strong and probably better than others in their bracket like West Brom, Swansea, Villa, Newcastle etc.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 4, 2013, 03:26:29 pm »
around 7th to 10th, many points short of top six, but wont be lower than 10th.a decent side
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 4, 2013, 03:30:40 pm »
Top 10 is realistic and good finish.
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #8 on: October 4, 2013, 03:33:04 pm »
Higher than Norwich.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline EmotionalCitrus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 4, 2013, 03:33:32 pm »
Midtable, they are a decent side, nothing more. Certainly won't be top 6.

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 4, 2013, 03:38:57 pm »
Mid-table. they have a solid team and a good manager, so I can see them finishing 9th-10th.

Sounds about right to me.

They are certainly a good bit behind the top 6, and probably behind Everton as well, but you could see them finishing anywhere behind that.  Whether they could beat the likes of Swansea to 8th, well, it's possible, and around that point in the table a draw or two instead of a loss can move you up 3 spots in the table it's that close.  I would say somewhere from 8th to 12th, with the two MR mentions as most likely.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #11 on: October 4, 2013, 03:42:08 pm »
They don't concede much under Pochettino, do they ?

Their defense is a shrewd pick for Fantasy Football.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 4, 2013, 03:46:28 pm »
I think they will finish eighth. Whether they have ability or ruthlessness to consistently win games, I'm not sure which is why they can often dominate and control games, even against the top sides, but not translate that into wins. They've had more problems with this against the lower sides than the big teams so far under Pochettino. A little way behind the top six and arguably top seven if you include Everton but I think they're the best of everyone behind there and will improve further in the next two or three years if Pochettino stays there.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 4, 2013, 03:47:40 pm »
Can't see them finishing above any of the 'big' clubs. Somewhere around Swansea and Everton I suppose.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline DougLFC94

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 4, 2013, 03:48:23 pm »
Top 8/midtable.

Offline AM76

• Joylessly cynical skimreader aka IQ76
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 4, 2013, 05:02:42 pm »

Same here for me. Had a good result at our place and people start thinking they will come 6th. Nowhere near that level yet so between 9th - 13th I reckon.

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• shit fan whose IQ is unlikely to be exceeding 59
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 4, 2013, 05:51:46 pm »
7/8
YNWA

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 4, 2013, 05:56:31 pm »
There pressing is impressive so they can shock a lot of the teams that play out from the back but it really won't affect the more direct teams that are happy to bypass the midfield. There attack is good on the counter but they lack that creative element to break down teams. They should be 8th-10th this season.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #18 on: October 4, 2013, 08:41:59 pm »
8th
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 4, 2013, 09:40:36 pm »
They should do well enough to finish midtable, but the 1 point Sunderland got was from them, and they also have not played any of the other aspirants for CL places yet, although they are certainly good enough to take points off them. I would say 6th to 10th alongside WBA , Swansea and Villa... not quite consistent enough yet

Offline theredguy03

• Put balls in his mouth and nearly choked
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho- Used to be Man City's tormentor
« Reply #20 on: October 4, 2013, 10:22:37 pm »
Will easily finish top 8 in my eyes, Artur Boruc is an experienced keeper, the trio of Lambert, Rodriguez and Osvaldo have yet to gel but there is plenty of firepower. Also have exciting young talents such as Ward Prowse, Shaw and Lallana.

Second season syndrome will not apply for the Saints  :)
My favourite all time LFC player? Tough choice.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 4, 2013, 10:31:10 pm »
I was very impressed with them at Anfield. They are big and strong down the middle of the pitch but also tried to keep the ball at 1-0 up.

8th for me.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 4, 2013, 10:52:17 pm »
france
bollocks

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #23 on: October 9, 2013, 01:02:38 am »
Team Focus: Pochettino's Positive Effect at Southampton
by Jonathan Wilson at Tuesday, Oct 8 2013 14:25

In their book The Numbers Game, Chris Anderson and David Sally, while evangelising for the use of statistical analysis in football, acknowledge that the use of data in football is in its infancy: if the discipline were medicine, they say, we would still be at the stage of leeches. While statistics have yielded great insights in other sports, football has remained intriguingly resistant to analysis, largely because it’s a game in which there are so few absolutes. Apart from perhaps goals, everything in football is relative: no stat has much meaning in and of itself without taking a host of other figures into consideration – which makes the use of data both difficult and fascinating.

Take, for example, the case of Southampton. They play an average of 59.1 long passes per match, the fourth most in the Premier League this season. Until Sunday’s 2-0 win over Swansea City (who average 59.6 per game, the third most), they played the second most in the league but they have fallen back from their average of 60.8, allowing Manchester United and Tottenham to move ahead of them.

Usual logic would say that a team hitting long balls is trying to make the most of the aerial strength of a forward, that they tend to sit deep and break quickly and that they are not too concerned about how much of the ball they have. Yet Tottenham, Swansea, United and Southampton are all in the top seven sides for possession this season (until this weekend, Southampton were fourth; obviously playing another side that prioritises possession has a short-term impact on the stats and Swansea had 58% of the ball at St Mary’s). Villa, fifth for long balls per game with 58.3 follow the more conventional wisdom and are 20th for possession.

Is it then, simply that because those sides have more of the ball, and so play more passes, they play more long passes? To an extent that’s true. While 16.1% of Aston Villa’s passes are long – the highest figure in the Premier League – only 10.5% of Swansea’s passes are long, the fourth fewest in the division, and 12.1% of Tottenham’s, the 11th most. A surprisingly high proportion of Southampton’s passes, though, go long: 13.3%, just behind Norwich and West Brom as the eighth most in the division.

In part, that is because, in Rickie Lambert, Southampton have a centre-forward who is good in the air and holds the ball up well, wining an average of 1.9 aerial duels per game. But it is also indicative of a basic trend in Southampton’s approach. Maurico Pochettino, their coach, played under Marcelo Bielsa at Newell’s Old Boys in the early nineties and although he seeks to play down the influence of Bielsa, they share certain principles.

Most notable of those is the emphasis on the high press and verticality: possession is not an end in itself, but in fact is almost a by-product of the demand to win the ball back quickly. The intention is always to catch the opposition defence before it is set, whether that is by winning the ball from them high up the pitch, or by getting it forward quickly. Southampton’s front four press quickly, in clear formation: one going to the ball, two backing him up and a fourth looking fill space and pounce if the ball gets through the initial wave.

Pochettino has now been in charge for 23 Premier League games, as opposed to the 22 Adkins had before being sacked last season. A comparison of certain key stats shows small but telling differences. Pass accuracy has roughly remained constant under Pochettino, moving from 77.9% to 77.8%, while long balls have gone up from 47.9 per game to 51.6, with the evidence of this season suggesting that figure will rise further.

Tackles have gone down, but interceptions are up from 18.3 per game to 20.7, something that has had a radical impact on possession, which is up from 49.8% under Adkins to 55.8%. The opposition have less of the ball and, while Southampton have scored only six more goals in an additional game under Pochettino, they have conceded 18 fewer, the result of which is 33 points as opposed to 22.

Pochettino has increased Southampton’s domination of the ball, but he has done it not with tiki-taka or short sideways passing; he has done it by being more direct and wining the ball back quicker.

http://www.whoscored.com/Blog/q5hf_gkblue1ias-qycfwg/Show/Team-Focus-Pochettino-Coming-Good-at-Southampton#.UlQJbmfr2Cs.twitter
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 9, 2013, 03:30:14 am »
I'd be pretty surprised if they don't finish 7th or 8th.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 9, 2013, 04:43:02 am »
And here I thought 8th was mid-table  ;D

Offline 21

• Barrack-room Hutz
  • Kopite
« Reply #26 on: October 9, 2013, 05:00:07 am »
this seasons Swansea.

Offline indlfc

• Moany whiner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool will always be my home.
« Reply #27 on: October 9, 2013, 05:29:50 am »
And here I thought 8th was mid-table  ;D

No, 8th is a very respectable league position. Don't you dare make fun of Liverpool? ;D

I think with the high pressing game they playing, i am expecting their key players to tire after few months. Especially their mid fielders.
There is only one family, it is the Liverpool family.

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #28 on: October 9, 2013, 06:59:53 am »
this seasons Swansea.

And the previous seasons to that west brom
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2013, 12:33:01 am »
They will be in top 10, but I doubt in top 6. So that leaves them anywhere between 7-10. If I have to guess, it's either 8th or 9th.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2013, 12:37:05 am »
How long as the manager been here now? 20 months? You'd think he'd make the effort to learn English! That's has to be annoying for their fans. It'd annoy me.

Anyway I reckon they'll finish 7th and have a good cup run. Quarters in the FA Cup maybe semis.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2013, 12:39:51 am »
I guess 8th or 9th could be a realistic target, they could compete for those position with the likes of Swansea, WBA and maybe Villa. I reckon Everton will finish ahead of them, in 7th place.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2013, 12:52:44 am »
How long as the manager been here now? 20 months? You'd think he'd make the effort to learn English! That's has to be annoying for their fans. It'd annoy me.

Anyway I reckon they'll finish 7th and have a good cup run. Quarters in the FA Cup maybe semis.

Apparently he can speak English but mainly uses the translator especially in interviews so there's no misinterpretation of what he says to media.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2013, 01:04:14 am »
top half. nowhere near top 6.

If you're top half but not top 6 you are 7th, 8th, 9th, or 10th - all of which are close to 6th. You're statement is contradictory.

I think they look very good for sneaking in to 5th or 6th as long as they can stay injury free and keep their fitness level intact. Given their style of play with extremely high press (Guardiola Barca style) and they will need to stay fit. Question is, will that last in April and after. I think they will be in a good enough position to steal 6th from one of the big ones.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 01:06:46 am by telekon »
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2013, 01:09:20 am »

Pochettino was appointed in January 2013 so that's 10 months.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2013, 01:49:42 am »
Apparently he can speak English but mainly uses the translator especially in interviews so there's no misinterpretation of what he says to media.
I've heard Man City fans say the same thing about Tevez, Aguero and Silva.

And it's surely bs  ;D

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2013, 02:01:42 am »
I've heard Man City fans say the same thing about Tevez, Aguero and Silva.

And it's surely bs  ;D
Aguero's English seems to be really really bad. Didn't hear how Tevez is doing, only a glimpse, and he didn't impress me either :D

I only saw 1 interview with Silva, and although he was shite in English, he seemed much better than Aguero.

Offline Abyss

• Main Stander
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2013, 02:26:19 am »
Top 8. These guys seem to building some sort of reputation now. 7 games played and only 2 conceded thus far.

Press and harry opposition teams to the point of absolute discontinuity. Those possession stats would mean squat if most of that time is spent just holding on to the ball under pressure. Deafeated City and LFC in convincing fashion last season. Gave United a very hard time for what it's worth, as well.

Pochettino seems to be one of the brightest young managers in the Premiership at the moment (Rodgers, Laudrup, A.V.B., Pochettino and Martinez the next gen - all very talented and well suited to the modern game). Also, some very good team additions made with Wanyama, Lovren and Osvaldo. I remember when Adkins got sacked, general public opinion was that this club don't know what they're doing and they'll get relegated. It was a slightly bold move by a newly promoted club, but clearly the right one.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2013, 02:43:20 am »
7th-9th. It's a much more competitive league than it was a 4 or 5 seasons ago, with the likes of Everton, Swansea and Southampton all putting on pretty strong showings. Hard to see them getting lower than 9th, at this point, but they'd be up against it to challenge the top 6 either.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2013, 03:44:34 am »
I think they're in a battle with Everton and Swansea for that last europa league place. The one freed up thanks to the demise of Man Utd :)
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.