Author Topic: MLS Thread  (Read 80909 times)

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader
Re: MLS Thread
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2015, 01:20:58 pm »
Former LFC player Krisztian Nemeth seems to be playing well for Kansas City
http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-soccer/match/412405/sporting-kansas-city-new-england-revolution/report

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
  • Can climb two flights of stairs
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2015, 01:41:35 am »
Former LFC player Krisztian Nemeth seems to be playing well for Kansas City
http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-soccer/match/412405/sporting-kansas-city-new-england-revolution/report
I've been checking out the SPKC scores/highlights weekly to check on how he is doing. Seems like a good career move for him.

In somewhat related MLS news, an investor and Paolo Maldini are creating a NASL team(a lower league right below MLS) in Miami, most likely Miami Football Club. Meanwhile, the Beckham MLS shitshow he has been trying to build in Miami, is still going nowhere. There is now a likelihood that 3 teams in the Miami area partially owned by Beckham (MLS team), Maldini (Miami FC) and Ronaldo (Fort Lauderdale Strikers).

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2015, 01:31:11 pm »
Think I might have to get into the MLS next season.

Is it on Sky?

Just seen some of the legends they have got playing:

- Gerrard
- Lampard
- Pirlo
- Kaká
- Ronaldinho
- David Villa
- Drogba
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2015, 03:04:57 pm »

Is it on Sky?

- Gerrard
- Lampard
- Pirlo
- Kaká
- Ronaldinho
- David Villa
- Drogba

Yea its on Sky on a Sunday, I had a look at a few games when the season started and it looked poor - but it was the two new teams I watched Orland and NY City. I'll probably have a look at the games Gerrards involved in.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2015, 03:07:35 pm »
Yea its on Sky on a Sunday, I had a look at a few games when the season started and it looked poor - but it was the two new teams I watched Orland and NY City. I'll probably have a look at the games Gerrards involved in.
It's mostly championship quality games, it is a fun league to watch. Some goals are absolute screamers  but some are laughable really. It is gaining more & more in popularity here in the States.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2015, 03:15:06 pm »

Is it on Sky?

- Gerrard
- Lampard
- Pirlo
- Kaká
- Ronaldinho
- David Villa
- Drogba

Do you watch those "legends" five a side matches, too?  ;)

The MLS will only really be successful when the home grown players can compete with the luxury imports and someone like Ronaldinho (who was largely regarded as "past it" four or five years ago) can't get a look-in.

I do have some respect for the way they're going about it, though. While most of us in Europe are telling them they need relegation and promotion and a more logical fixture list, they are sticking to their guns and their principles and concentrating on developing talent and widening appeal.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2015, 05:21:15 pm »

Is it on Sky?

- Gerrard
- Lampard
- Pirlo
- Kaká
- Ronaldinho
- David Villa
- Drogba

Ronaldinho, Drogba and Pirlo aren't in MLS (yet, admittedly). They play a summer season so no need to wait for next season if you want to watch they're ongoing right now.

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2015, 05:10:08 pm »
Do you watch those "legends" five a side matches, too?  ;)

:lmao

Fair comment.

I don't know I do like watching hero's regardless of their age, just to see glimpses of what they used to do in their pomp.

I hope Sky don't have commentators like Tony Cottee etc doing the MLS.

I think it would be great if they got the American commentators, they are hilarious.  Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6l4lT00Pgs
@LFC4LIFENET

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2015, 05:18:38 pm »
Ronaldinho is playing in Mexico isn't he?
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2015, 06:37:46 pm »
Ronaldinho is playing in Mexico isn't he?

For Queretaro - though now a free agent and read in a couple of places he may be joining Vasco da Gama back in Brazil.

NY Cosmos beat NYC FC in the US Open Cup on penalties last week - they'll face NY Red Bulls in the Last 16.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2015, 11:50:35 pm »
NYCFC are going to need Lampard and Pirlo to sort their midfield out, they have been fucking atrocious in the second half vs the Red Bulls. David Villa must be going bananas being stuck with that pile of shite behind him, he's a considerable distance ahead of every other outfield player in that team.

Makes you wonder whether the powers that be at the MLS would ever consider binning the salary cap and making it open season for player transfers. I get that they are trying to develop the US men's national team, but the majority of the top drawer US players play overseas. Apart from the designated players there is a vast amount of dross out there. Fuck, Stevie is going to be on a different planet when he gets going.

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2015, 01:52:23 am »
Watching the Portland Timbers vs Seattle Sounders match. Awesome atmosphere and the match is fun, but by God, some of the defending is atrocious. Stevie would not have a problem scoring belters at all.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2015, 01:55:11 am »
Did Bradley wright Phillips play top flight football in England? He looked very good against New York City (who were dreadful btw).

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2015, 02:00:22 am »
Did Bradley wright Phillips play top flight football in England? He looked very good against New York City (who were dreadful btw).
I remember him playing few games for City.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2015, 02:01:14 am »

Yes, he had a few seasons at Man City at the start of his career. Didn't do too well there, and moved down to Championship level where he was a lot more effective.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline ColdSteel

• Anny Roader
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2015, 02:09:35 am »
I'm surprised how poor they are. I think Kreis will improve them over the coming seasons but it's not a good start. Pirlo and lampard should help but 3 aging players on the pitch may be an issue. Thrilled for the red bulls though for coming through a little slide.

Offline Redallover11

• Just behind Red Al Lover Number Ten in the Red Al Lover Queue
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2015, 05:00:18 am »
Was at the game. Nyc were really poor at back and in the middle of park but the worst part was the supporters.  4 in front of me and my lad never shut up talking about everything but the game.  Up and down the whole time.  A break on and 3 people taking photos on the walkway between stands. So infuriating.  The fans at red bull arena much better in terms of match etiquette. These were serious baseball fans.

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2015, 06:17:02 am »
Makes you wonder whether the powers that be at the MLS would ever consider binning the salary cap and making it open season for player transfers. I get that they are trying to develop the US men's national team, but the majority of the top drawer US players play overseas. Apart from the designated players there is a vast amount of dross out there. Fuck, Stevie is going to be on a different planet when he gets going.
There have been discussions/rumors of a 4th DP slot for a few years I think. A lot of big international names and solid national talent have been recently arriving. Ronaldo seems to be en-route in a few years too. The downfall of the NASL was due to overspending owners so I'm not sure they will ever completely dump the cap. Maybe if the TV numbers have a miraculous turn around, but they are really atrocious despite the league pumping up the attendance figures, which can be easily overinflated too.

I try to put one match on the background a week, usually a nationalized match. My local team is absolute shit and run by idiots, so I can't bear to watch that nonsense. Although I'm going to make an effort to watch Stevie play.

They really need to fix scheduling too. How is it entertaining to watch the table when a team with 6 matches in hand?

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2015, 09:26:42 am »
http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/lt/lt_cache/thumbnail/960/img/photos/2015/06/28/f0/37/08a7092ad8084013a4eb823ccba213ef-555d1d2043934fd2b550bf22fa05bf55-0.jpg]

Watching the Portland Timbers vs Seattle Sounders match. Awesome atmosphere and the match is fun, but by God, some of the defending is atrocious. Stevie would not have a problem scoring belters at all.

Good image from the PNW derby

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: July 5, 2015, 07:14:43 pm »
So Robbie Keane is going to be captaining Gerrard?

That's going to be weird!

Bit like when Torres was captaining Simeone at Atletico.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline ColdSteel

• Anny Roader
« Reply #60 on: July 5, 2015, 08:37:20 pm »
So Robbie Keane is going to be captaining Gerrard?

That's going to be weird!

Bit like when Torres was captaining Simeone at Atletico.

There are examples of new players coming in and being made captain but Keane is a big shot there. Hard to see him handing it over but you're right. It's just a weird reality.

Offline Red Crown

• Kopite
« Reply #61 on: July 5, 2015, 11:23:15 pm »

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: July 6, 2015, 05:53:48 pm »
Pirlo officially a NYCFC player.

Still only have a passing interest in the MLS, but with names like Gerrard, Pirlo, Kaka and Lampard, I'm bound to take more notice.

Think Stevie is going to do well here. Carrying himself like he has the weight of an entire city and football club finally off his shoulders.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: July 6, 2015, 05:58:50 pm »
NYCFC are going to need Lampard and Pirlo to sort their midfield out, they have been fucking atrocious in the second half vs the Red Bulls. David Villa must be going bananas being stuck with that pile of shite behind him, he's a considerable distance ahead of every other outfield player in that team.

There's actually been an interesting trend of US players moving back to play in the MLS the last couple of years. Dempsey, Altidore, Bradley, Diskerud, Shea, Kljestan and Agudelo are all either regular starters or frequently on the USMNT and all have moved back to the States within the last two seasons. Not sure Jurgen likes that.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

Offline Hudson66

• The Kia Ora Man - too orangely for RAWK
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: July 6, 2015, 06:37:31 pm »
I've only seen clips and highlights of some games but is there team in the league that shoot muskets off when they score? :D

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: July 6, 2015, 06:52:03 pm »
I've only seen clips and highlights of some games but is there team in the league that shoot muskets off when they score? :D
Don't think so, but the Timbers have a guy with a chainsaw cut off a piece of wood whenever they score! Google Timber Joey if you're curious...

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #66 on: July 6, 2015, 07:10:41 pm »

New England Revolution
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: July 6, 2015, 07:18:24 pm »
Don't think so, but the Timbers have a guy with a chainsaw cut off a piece of wood whenever they score! Google Timber Joey if you're curious...

Have a real hard time getting behind FC Dallas, my hometown team, mainly due to the largely apathetic fanbase. Love the passion in the PNW, especially with Portland fans. I've got time for that.

https://youtu.be/u-eah0PIxfY

https://youtu.be/s50SvZm9jQE

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: July 7, 2015, 03:37:42 am »
Lacking a link but Kansas City journos had interesting tidbit today: MLS teams have some sort of unofficial salary cap on Homegrown Players (came up thru your academy) and it is $150,000, in salary, annually, max.  Holy fuckbeans, what a detriment to the game and league if true. Pirlo is gonna be on $8million/year, for some perspective.

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: July 7, 2015, 04:36:50 am »
Lacking a link but Kansas City journos had interesting tidbit today: MLS teams have some sort of unofficial salary cap on Homegrown Players (came up thru your academy) and it is $150,000, in salary, annually, max.  Holy fuckbeans, what a detriment to the game and league if true. Pirlo is gonna be on $8million/year, for some perspective.
The salary situation is insane in my opinion. There are starters making an annual salary on par what some of the "superstars" make in one week. This chart is a little dated, some players like Jozy Altidore, Giovinco, Kaka, and Villa aren't on it, but their figures are on par with Bradley ($6-7 million per year).

News coming out tonight that Gio Dos Santos just signed a $9 mil per year deal, which is insane. The league seems to have no problem flexing its rules for the big teams.
« Last Edit: July 8, 2015, 01:51:38 am by Romeo Sensini »

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: July 7, 2015, 09:56:17 am »
The salary situation is insane in my opinion. There are starters making an annual salary on par what some of the "superstars" make in one week. This chart is a little dated, some players like Jozy Altidore, Giovinco, Kaka, and Villa aren't on it, but their figures is on par with Bradley ($6-7 million per year).

News coming out tonight that Gio Dos Santos just signed a $9 mil per year deal, which is insane. The league seems to have no problem flexing its rules for the big teams.

Can't be good for dressing room politics if there are players on ten times your wages and it's impossible to ever reach that level even if you are a more effective part of the team.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: July 7, 2015, 07:43:13 pm »
Life On Major League Soccer’s Minimum Salary
CommentsFebruary 28, 2015 E-mail Twitter (107)

The 2015 MLS season is scheduled to begin Friday. It might not. The league and Players Union have yet to sign a new collective bargaining agreement.
A major issue at stake is free agency. MLS players want some variant of the opportunity afforded pro athletes in the country’s four major leagues. Another issue is the league’s pay disparity. While a handful of stars earn millions of dollars each season, Major League Soccer’s median salary in 2014 was $92,000 and its minimum was just $36,5000.

Ross Friedman was a rookie defender with for Columbus Crew this past season. He earned the league minimum. He joined Bill Littlefield to share his experience.
BL: Ross, after four seasons playing college soccer at Harvard, you signed with the Crew. Did you have much of a choice?

RF: Not really. Coming through the Crew youth system, the Crew had first rights to me. So they invested in me during my high school days and paid for my youth soccer and all the travel, and they had first rights to pick up my contract.

BL: So I suppose after college you just walked into the Crew’s office and said, “OK, let’s negotiate a salary.”

RF: Not so much. They kind of have like a standard, home-grown contract, and that’s really what I was presented with.

BL: Looking back on it now, do you think being one of the Crew’s “Homegrown Players” back when you were still a youth league player worked out in your favor?

RF: I think it depends on the player’s situation. Given a player like me, coming through Harvard — we’re probably a mid-tier Div. I team — it definitely got my foot in the door. But for a big-name player, like a lot of my youth teammates, who went on to play at big schools like UNC and Akron, they could have played for any team they wanted to and had a lot of negotiation power, yet the Crew had first rights to them.

BL: In the NFL they have this tradition where the rookies have to pay for dinner for the whole team. I don’t suppose that would work out very well in MLS.

RF:  Oh no, not at all. The MLS has a clear disparity in their pay. And you know that going into it. And that definitely plays a role within the locker room. Luckily for me I didn’t have to deal with any of those situations where a big bill was dropped on my plate. But I don’t know how I would have dealt with it.

BL: Your former teammate, Federico Higuain, an Argentine forward, had a base salary of more than $500,000 last year. He was the Crew’s highest paid player, but other starters earned six-figures as well. Was that something you noticed?

RF: Yeah, for sure. Definitely. It’s really interesting. A lot of people don’t know this. We had five, six, seven guys on our roster that lived at home. A lot of the home-grown guys lived with their parents. Guys living together in subsidized housing from the Crew. That’s kind of the rookie life in the MLS. You’re just trying to survive. You’re not doing it for the money. And then you’ve got guys who are making a lot of money, rolling in in their Porsche or their big SUVs or whatever they have. So you can actually see the disparity just in the parking lot of the training facility.

BL: Well what about off the pitch? Do rookies and home-growns get set aside? Or did you get to hang around with some of these guys who had the big SUVs and the Porsches?

RF: It was natural that the low-paid guys are hanging out and the high-paid guys are either doing their own thing because they have families, or they’re hanging out with each other.

BL: The Crew did not pick up your option for this coming season, and you have decided to end your pro soccer career. Are you still glad that you spent this past year in MLS?

RF: Yeah, for sure. It was definitely, you know, a dream of mine and something I really wanted to accomplish and I worked hard towards. But seeing players in the future that might want to drop out of college to join the MLS or even do this for the money, that’s an issue. You really gotta do it for the love of the game because you’re really not bringing in the big bucks unless you’re a top, top player on a team.

http://onlyagame.wbur.org/2015/02/28/columbus-crew-mls-salary-disparity

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #72 on: July 7, 2015, 09:33:19 pm »
Stevie Gerrard live press conference..  not sure how long it will be.. .... Erm... it's finished  :lmao

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/07/07/watch-new-la-galaxy-designated-player-steven-gerrard-meets-media-first-time-
« Last Edit: July 7, 2015, 09:37:24 pm by hixxstar »
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #73 on: July 7, 2015, 09:36:55 pm »

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader

Offline Odin

• Main Stander
  • Horse Placenta Aficionado
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2015, 11:18:49 pm »
Yeah, I'm just glad I won't have to rationalize watching Gerrard play live in an LA kit this season. Unless LA and Portland play against each other in the playoffs at which point, I'll just pretend it is his identical twin cousin.

Side Note: Great video from Copa90 on Portland v Seattle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFBUNbJLHro
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 11:25:00 pm by Odin »

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2015, 01:04:39 am »
Galaxy play tonight against América in a exhibition "International Champions Cup" match. Gerrard is expected to get 45 minutes and player further forward in the midfield.

Starts around 11:30 pm EST (3:00 GMT?).

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2015, 01:07:31 am »
MLS' minimum wage of $36,000 is absolutely criminal. 

That's about $17/hr which is only $2 above what the minimum wage here in San Francisco will be in 2018.
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2015, 05:08:09 am »
Gerrard spraying that ball like a boss

Offline NHRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2015, 11:03:11 am »
The salary situation is insane in my opinion. There are starters making an annual salary on par what some of the "superstars" make in one week. This chart is a little dated, some players like Jozy Altidore, Giovinco, Kaka, and Villa aren't on it, but their figures are on par with Bradley ($6-7 million per year).

It's worth noting that the Revs (2nd bottom in the salary table) beat NY Red Bulls in the playoffs then lost to LA Galaxy in the final.

Also, league salary rules follow the usual Calvinball rules ("Whatever we say they are") particularly where letting NY or LA get what they want comes into play.  Hence this latest rule change to allow LA to sign Dos Santos.