Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1760229 times)

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
Re: Atmosphere at Anfield
« Reply #11160 on: December 2, 2019, 10:11:00 am »
Good post. Brighton was a game we were expected to win and were cruising until Alisson was sent off.

I always thing that fans of 'smaller' clubs must think the whole Anfield atmosphere thing is overblown. 'Where's your famous atmosphere..." rings out from the Anny Road as Anfield sits on its collective hands and we cruise to another routine victory over a team in the bottom half.

If we continue on this trajectory under Klopp I'd expect quite a few games every season where the atmosphere is a bit flat. The great thing about Anfield at it's best is the direct relationship between the atmosphere and the game. We aren't like the German or Italian ultras who sing and bang drums regardless of what's happening on the pitch.
I agree with this and the quoted post in respect of some games against lower half teams are simply not going to be as electric as others.

It's always baffled me but never bothered me as such, but the amount of people legging out and leaving early on Saturday was a joke. It was a nervous end to the game given that we had Allison sent off and conceded straight away with a lot of pressure to follow. It looked like there were queues to get up the stairs out of the Main Stand at one point around the 85th minute.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11161 on: December 2, 2019, 10:15:09 am »

If this does turn out to be a title winning season, it's not like every game has to be Barcelona either. That's what I mean about not knowing how to win a league. To win a league it's often just a lot of normal 3pm kick off and 3 points.

This is probably how we win a league, but we(most of us) just don't know it. (But we also do, hence the nerves).

It's bang on this, especially the bit about not every game being Barcelona. There were a fair few games towards the tail end of last season that were incredible. 5 minutes after Salah's goal V Chelsea was the loudest I've ever heard Anfield, for example, it was absolutely wild. Come March, April, May if we're still on here complaining I'd be asking more questions, but I bet we won't be.

And I bet it'll be good on Wednesday too.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Online Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #11162 on: December 2, 2019, 10:16:59 am »
Spot on. And Dave’s is a great post. The atmosphere will be there when it’s needed. Yes, I know it’s needed in every game, but for now there’s an element of a collective keeping things in check. Partly a bit of tension, definitely a smidge of concern despite the position, but generally a 30 year collective memory that says, ‘long way to go’. The atmosphere will improve as the distance shortens, and crucially whenever it’s needed most along the way.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11163 on: December 6, 2019, 07:34:24 pm »
Surprised not mentioned but the derby as you’d expect was excellent

Not enjoyed a match like that for ages

Relaxed from minute one!

Offline Roughie Scouse

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #11164 on: December 6, 2019, 08:27:26 pm »
Spot on. And Dave’s is a great post. The atmosphere will be there when it’s needed. Yes, I know it’s needed in every game, but for now there’s an element of a collective keeping things in check. Partly a bit of tension, definitely a smidge of concern despite the position, but generally a 30 year collective memory that says, ‘long way to go’. The atmosphere will improve as the distance shortens, and crucially whenever it’s needed most along the way.

Exactly right
"There are places I'll remember all my life"  The Beatles,  ISTANBUL 2005

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #11165 on: December 6, 2019, 09:32:31 pm »
Decent the other night.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #11166 on: December 6, 2019, 11:26:18 pm »
Surprised not mentioned but the derby as you’d expect was excellent

Not enjoyed a match like that for ages

Relaxed from minute one!
Agreed. Cracking atmosphere.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11167 on: December 14, 2019, 03:32:11 pm »
Horrific today but Christ it was cold.

Text book early kick off versus relegation fodder. Crowd complacency and moaning at everything

Win. Move on

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11168 on: December 14, 2019, 03:36:31 pm »
Horrific today but Christ it was cold.

Text book early kick off versus relegation fodder. Crowd complacency and moaning at everything

Win. Move on

Sounded very nervous

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11169 on: December 14, 2019, 03:39:12 pm »
Sounded very nervous

Yes but no idea why

There was a lot of football tourists there today too

Like League of Nations around me. Just one of those games for it I guess.

At least we got the result

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #11170 on: December 14, 2019, 06:53:43 pm »
Very quiet in the Lower Kenny.

Loads of reasons why the atmosphere was subdued.

12.30 kickoff on a Saturday. The day after alot of Christmas do's ( I know I was hungover in the ground)
It was fucking freezing and windy
The play on the pitch didn't feel as fluid

Also dont underestimate how people have reacted to the election result

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #11171 on: December 14, 2019, 07:45:10 pm »
Back in the day, we'd lose 5-10,000 on the gate due to Christmas shopping on the last couple of Saturdays before Xmas. Probably still would but the overseas fans are taking up the slack.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11172 on: December 15, 2019, 07:14:59 am »
Post election result blues wouldn’t have helped yesterday’s atmosphere.

Offline ChrisLFCKOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11173 on: December 15, 2019, 07:58:19 am »
i thought it started out well (for a 12:30 against Watford) then got worse as the game went on.  to be honest you know what its going to be like after teams are read out, no roar of Liverpool, Liverpool and your in for a long game.

Alot of berating players around me, one of those where players tried something didn't come off lets berate them...they don't try anything lets berate them.  :butt

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #11174 on: December 15, 2019, 09:55:41 am »
Mo mentioned something in the post match interview, didn't he? That the crowd panicked but there has to be some trust cause they are experienced or something like that.

Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline King Kenny07

• Main Stander
  • JFT96
« Reply #11175 on: December 15, 2019, 10:01:36 am »
Loved Mo’s comment after the game yesterday about the crowd getting nervous - really doesn’t affect the team because they have confidence in their ability to see a game out.

I’ve started to find the moaning funny for a while now - the fact that people don’t seem to trust a team that’s not lost at home for ages is hilarious and really shows up how little they know.

Really enjoying us grinding out games like Watford and Brighton - bit tense but afterwards a real sense of achievement- pity those that can’t see it because they’re missing out.
Bill Shankly speaking To Alan Ball after he'd signed for Everton - 'Never mind Alan, at least you'll be able to play next to a great team.'

Offline Bucko - Dubai

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11176 on: December 15, 2019, 10:35:19 am »
I will never understand the audible moaning when at the ground. You are there to do anything you can to help the situation.

Almost any negative comment aimed at the players no matter what the scenario is going to be detrimental to the team

Offline will2003

• Legacy Fan
  • God and a Legend
« Reply #11177 on: December 15, 2019, 10:56:38 am »
Anfield road end was lively yesterday thought the atmosphere was good. It don’t go every week and the last game I made was Newcastle last year and it was right up there. Lots of support for the players and encouragement, nervous yes but really good time as well!

The only criticism was 4 local lads in front of us who just sat there and watched no singing or anything.
"We gave the fans their pride - again. We fought for the fans, we fought for the club and we fought for our players." - Legend

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #11178 on: December 15, 2019, 11:15:29 am »

12.30 kickoff on a Saturday. The day after alot of Christmas do's ( I know I was hungover in the ground)

Throw VAR into the mix as well which is a mood killer. Crowd would have relaxed at 2-0 up early second half and we'd have probably scored more.

Bit of a perfect storm really, important to get the win after all that.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #11179 on: December 15, 2019, 11:40:51 pm »
All that, plus the 4000 amateur cameramen in the Kop.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline CaseRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11180 on: December 16, 2019, 09:12:35 am »
We were in the lower main right by the Watford lot and while their songs are all shit, there was no sign on, no feed the scousers. Quite refreshing that all shouts were for their team rather than the usual shit.

Atmosphere from our side was flat for all the reasons above and the play on the pitch did nothing to hep that. Didn't feel like moaning to me though, more a bit of disbelief that we were not cruising it. Felt a case of when not if we would score and if the second had not been disallowed we would have had a  few more.

VAR remains shite. How you can have 55000 people told that a goal is disallowed and no signal for why is shocking.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #11181 on: December 16, 2019, 11:57:38 am »

Got to agree with this.

In an ideal world every game would have a banging atmosphere. I just think Saturday was one of those were various events conspired against it being a good atmosphere.

What I would say is that whilst I don't expect the atmosphere to be boss in these types of games, anyone moaning or getting nervous needs to have a long hard think about it. Not lost at home in over 2 years in the league, won 25 out of 26 league games, Champions of Europe. There's literally nothing to moan about even if we are struggling in a game.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #11182 on: December 17, 2019, 11:58:07 am »
Of late, I've been ace and everyone else has been shit.

Buck up you lot. Not a single soul joined in with me for little donkey and once in royal david city.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11183 on: January 2, 2020, 09:36:42 pm »
Has there been another verse added to Allez Allez Allez?

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #11184 on: January 2, 2020, 09:50:48 pm »
Has there been another verse added to Allez Allez Allez?

Yeah we add on the Wolves one

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #11185 on: January 2, 2020, 10:44:43 pm »
Not a fan of the Liverpool - rangers flag on the kop
YNWA

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11186 on: January 2, 2020, 11:14:14 pm »
Not a fan of the Liverpool - rangers flag on the kop

Well received by Rangers fans as a mark of respect to the 66 who lost their lives 49 years ago on this day.
« Last Edit: January 2, 2020, 11:22:20 pm by andy07 »
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11187 on: January 2, 2020, 11:21:08 pm »
Excellent and well received by Rangers fans as a mark of respect to the 66 who lost their lives 49 years ago.

Yes, exiting the Kop down the back steps in the 70s and the pushing could be pretty severe, a few shouts of 'Ibrox' would calm things. The flag is a poignant reminder of that tragedy.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #11188 on: January 2, 2020, 11:34:23 pm »
Relatively good atmosphere tonight. Yes there were lulls when we kept the ball for long periods but pretty consistent throughout. Sheff Utd fans were decent as well.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11189 on: January 2, 2020, 11:37:30 pm »
Relatively good atmosphere tonight. Yes there were lulls when we kept the ball for long periods but pretty consistent throughout. Sheff Utd fans were decent as well.

Agreed.  Thought Sheff Utd were amongst the best visitors this season.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11190 on: January 2, 2020, 11:50:36 pm »
Posted in Sheffield utd  thread but “champions of league one you’ll never sing that” tickled me. Fair play to them

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #11191 on: January 3, 2020, 12:28:33 am »
Were they singing "we conquered all of Yorkshire we're never gonna stop" at one point? Would like to hear the full version . I thought they were an OK bunch by and large, just songs about themselves and a.few Library / tourist references fair enough.

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #11192 on: January 3, 2020, 08:34:15 am »
tbf to the Sheff united fans they were a lot less Brexit than I expected in both games.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #11193 on: January 3, 2020, 09:39:57 am »
tbf to the Sheff united fans they were a lot less Brexit than I expected in both games.

Yeah, I was quite impressed with them, they were pretty loud and apart from the ridiculous Fuck VAR chant I didn't hear any generic stuff.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #11194 on: January 4, 2020, 01:32:35 am »
Yeah, I was quite impressed with them, they were pretty loud and apart from the ridiculous Fuck VAR chant I didn't hear any generic stuff.

I only heard a muted ''We support our local team'' effort that was short-lived.

A reasonably refreshing change from the drivel we usually get in the away end.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #11195 on: January 4, 2020, 01:43:37 am »
Were they singing "we conquered all of Yorkshire we're never gonna stop" at one point? Would like to hear the full version . I thought they were an OK bunch by and large, just songs about themselves and a.few Library / tourist references fair enough.

If they did I think they just improvised on the night because the usual words to their version of Allez Allez do not include that line.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11196 on: January 4, 2020, 02:49:43 am »
I only heard a muted ''We support our local team'' effort that was short-lived.

A reasonably refreshing change from the drivel we usually get in the away end.

This made me laugh along with a couple of other chants. I know we have a massive following from away from Liverpool but I'd wager at least 75% of the ground is Scouse or from within 15 miles or so

I thought they were excellent. None of the usual Tory/Brexit shite you get and they were always up for a laugh when we sang something. For the fans, I hope they get some success this season. A great team and great fans

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11197 on: January 4, 2020, 08:51:06 am »

Were they singing "we conquered all of Yorkshire we're never gonna stop" at one point?

I live in South Yorkshire and Liverpool tops far outnumber every Yorkshire team.

They are the only Yorkshire team in the PL but I do believe Barnsley have won more trophies in the last 5 or so seasons [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline storkfoot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11198 on: January 4, 2020, 10:37:15 am »
I live in South Yorkshire and Liverpool tops far outnumber every Yorkshire team.

They are the only Yorkshire team in the PL but I do believe Barnsley have won more trophies in the last 5 or so seasons [emoji16]

Do you not think that’s very sad that you see more Liverpool tops than local teams?

Fair play to Sheffield United for singing about supporting their local team.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11199 on: January 4, 2020, 11:09:11 am »
Do you not think that’s very sad that you see more Liverpool tops than local teams?

Fair play to Sheffield United for singing about supporting their local team.
It's not as bad as it seems as I live in a small ex pit village between Rotherham and Barnsley rather than any of the big cities.

I'm sure Sheffield, Leeds, Huddersfield and probably even Bradford it isnt so prevalent.