Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1736640 times)

Offline Danny Boy

• Legacy Fan
Re: Atmosphere at Anfield
« Reply #11120 on: November 28, 2019, 03:26:54 pm »
Thing is we can’t go out. The worst that can happen from here is the Europa League

Chatting about this in car back last night. There's no prestige for us in winning the EL, especially aswe're  current CL holders and the potential it has to derail our title challenge. If we did end up in the EL, I'd advocate taking a Carabao approach and playing a mixture of youngsters and 1st team squad players.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #11121 on: November 28, 2019, 03:46:47 pm »
Flat last night, on* and off** the pitch.

* Although with the context of various players very evidently struggling with knocks, plus recently coming back from the latest international break and looking accordingly out of rhythm.

** Brought to mind the period under Rafa when there was a complacency that grew among the fan base around the European games. I sincerely hope last night wasn't something similar.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #11122 on: November 28, 2019, 04:15:51 pm »
Flat as a pancake
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #11123 on: November 28, 2019, 04:27:37 pm »

Moaning arses telling me to sit down and be quiet. Moaning to the stewards getting everyone to sit down.. At a European game!

What part of the ground was that? We've been in the Main Stand for European games this season and last and people insisting on standing up is a pain, especially when some people are in there because they can't stand up all match.

If you're in the Kop then fair enough, everyone knows or should do that everyone stands in there, but for most other parts people expect to be able to sit. Standing doesn't really make any difference to whether you make any noise or not but it makes a big difference to whether people can see the match or not.

Last night half the people in our bit who were standing buggered off with 5 minutes to go so their support of the team obviously doesn't extend to the final whistle.

Don't understand anyone telling anyone to be quiet, that's a bit odd.

No one had any idea where they were sitting.

Shameful

So much of that last night, even people with season ticket cards having to ask the stewards where their seat was. Loads of people wandering up and down lost as well when they had got up to go for a pee or a pint and then couldn't remember where they were sitting.

Not as bad as Genk but still not good.

On the plus side a lad walked straight past a steward with two full pints, no attempt to hide them or anything. Must be allowed now.
Legacy fan

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #11124 on: November 28, 2019, 04:41:14 pm »
Steward where I was in the Anny Rd apologised to a few who were standing  - "Sorry lads, if the rest were standing I'd let it go but..."

Really flat for most of the game.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #11125 on: November 28, 2019, 05:28:19 pm »
After todays news I expect a loud and noisy atmosphere on Saturday.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #11126 on: November 28, 2019, 07:13:09 pm »
Saturday...
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Swoop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11127 on: November 28, 2019, 07:40:59 pm »
JFT96 better ring loud and long on Saturday or we have become a fan base too diluted to matter anymore
Its a dogs life for me

Offline adzogolonzo

• Kemlynite
« Reply #11128 on: November 28, 2019, 08:38:52 pm »
The main stand felt like being in an away section.  Upper main had a decent atmosphere for large portions of the night

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11129 on: November 28, 2019, 09:00:00 pm »
JFT96 better ring loud and long on Saturday or we have become a fan base too diluted to matter anymore

Offline fridge

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #11130 on: November 28, 2019, 11:36:56 pm »
There's a picture doing the rounds of a t-shirt with the message

"If 96 policemen had died at Hillsborough how many LFC fans would have been jailed 25 years ago"

How very, very true 
Each night before I go to bed I thank the Lord that I'm a Red

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #11131 on: November 29, 2019, 07:04:10 pm »
New Anny rd end will certainly add to the atmosphere .

Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #11132 on: November 29, 2019, 07:41:17 pm »
New Anny rd end will certainly add to the atmosphere .

That's one possibility. The other possibility is it will be filled with people who don't know the words and have their cameras out for half the match.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #11133 on: November 29, 2019, 10:49:24 pm »
Anfield is one of the best atmospheres in the world. I love the song You will never walk alone. It is very emotional.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11134 on: November 29, 2019, 11:45:42 pm »
That's one possibility. The other possibility is it will be filled with people who don't know the words and have their cameras out for half the match.

Always the possibility. Need to make sure the pricing is right. That’s one of the reasons I don’t want the Kop bigger. We shouldn’t be selling ‘the Kop Experience’. Get the old c*nts off the Kop if they won’t sing. Keep it the same size but pack it with people who want to sing and go there every week.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline commando

• Main Stander
« Reply #11135 on: November 29, 2019, 11:54:26 pm »
My hope for the ARE is that the fans who are top of the list are younger fans who were put on the waiting list at birth by their parents. They’ve waited all these years for a chance to let their pent up frustrations and songs out.
As an aside, it wouldn’t do any harm for the Kop to join in songs that don’t originate on the Kop. I’ve heard lots of songs being started in U8 &U9 of the main stand that will be added to by the rest of the main stand but the Kop never seem to keep it going. It’s the same when the ARE get a song/chant going. It just dies away.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #11136 on: December 1, 2019, 01:26:08 am »
It was terrible yesterday, there was literally 4 of us singing where we were sat, it was freezing but still..

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11137 on: December 1, 2019, 01:31:12 am »
Anyone know what that song a couple in 305 were trying to start is? Sounds like the PSG melody they sing like 70% of most their games. A lot of woah’s. One of the best football melodies so I hope it sticks whatever it is.
YNWA.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #11138 on: December 1, 2019, 09:44:59 am »
It was terrible yesterday, there was literally 4 of us singing where we were sat, it was freezing but still..

3pm Saturday's are always dire for atmosphere
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline stonecold_jpm

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11139 on: December 1, 2019, 10:51:41 am »
My hope for the ARE is that the fans who are top of the list are younger fans who were put on the waiting list at birth by their parents. They’ve waited all these years for a chance to let their pent up frustrations and songs out.
As an aside, it wouldn’t do any harm for the Kop to join in songs that don’t originate on the Kop. I’ve heard lots of songs being started in U8 &U9 of the main stand that will be added to by the rest of the main stand but the Kop never seem to keep it going. It’s the same when the ARE get a song/chant going. It just dies away.

Was in lower main L10 yesterday rare appearance as in Kop usually and it was bloody awful. Told to sit down every second, few joining in here and there but then above that there’s the middle tier and the hospitality prawn sandwich brigade there’s not even a cheer or a clap coming back from there and that’s likely where any singing dies at. There’s also the block of press/media in the lower main too, should have stuck them in the upper with there tv monitors. 🤷‍♂️
« Last Edit: December 1, 2019, 10:59:32 am by stonecold_jpm »

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11140 on: December 1, 2019, 11:39:07 am »
Typical Saturday 3pm

Fair play to the two younger lads in U2 who kept trying to get something going. Just was never going to light yesterday unfortunately

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #11141 on: December 1, 2019, 12:05:41 pm »
Typical Saturday 3pm

Fair play to the two younger lads in U2 who kept trying to get something going. Just was never going to light yesterday unfortunately

They were sat a couple of rows directly behind me and the missus. They really did try didn’t they. I joined in most of the time but other than a few occasions it didn’t entice the majority
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11142 on: December 1, 2019, 12:22:33 pm »
Would have to give yesterday 3/10.  The 3 was mainly due to the efforts made in first 6 minutes.   Surely we can ramp it up on Wednesday?
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11143 on: December 1, 2019, 12:37:51 pm »
They were sat a couple of rows directly behind me and the missus. They really did try didn’t they. I joined in most of the time but other than a few occasions it didn’t entice the majority

I was sat next to them!

They had exuberance of youth and finished most songs ahead of the kop

Good effort though

Offline Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11144 on: December 1, 2019, 12:39:01 pm »
Would have to give yesterday 3/10.  The 3 was mainly due to the efforts made in first 6 minutes.   Surely we can ramp it up on Wednesday?

Weird! On TV it sounded really good for the last 15 minutes.
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #11145 on: December 1, 2019, 12:39:55 pm »
It's a little worrying that the atmosphere has been a bit disappointing in two games running. This is a question for those who are going, are people maybe getting complacent with the points total so are maybe relaxing a bit more? I know the team are not firing on all cylinders at the moment, but against Napoli in particular Klopp was keen for an atmosphere. It would be interesting to know people's frame of minds over this. The thing is over the next month the team will show tiredness from time to time so will need the crowd to get them over the line sometimes.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11146 on: December 1, 2019, 12:50:58 pm »
Weird! On TV it sounded really good for the last 15 minutes.

Relatively it improved sfter the Brighton goal but still way short.   Klopp mentioned Adrian having to get into action without a warm up. Similar in the stands with a few getting behind the team but most struggling to get going.   
We are Loyal Supporters

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11147 on: December 1, 2019, 01:24:07 pm »
Relatively it improved sfter the Brighton goal but still way short.   Klopp mentioned Adrian having to get into action without a warm up. Similar in the stands with a few getting behind the team but most struggling to get going.   

yes on TV it sounded like the fans were "willing" the team on to a win in the last 12-15 mins.

Offline davidsteventon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11148 on: December 1, 2019, 02:01:18 pm »
I know the team are not firing on all cylinders at the moment, but against Napoli in particular Klopp was keen for an atmosphere. It would be interesting to know people's frame of minds over this.

Yesterday was freezing by the way. It does sometimes contribute!

To answer your question there's a few reasons for me. We're so desperate for the title, and knowing that we only lost once last year and didn't win means every game seems to be one we can't make a mistake in. We also all seem to think we're not playing as well as we could and should. We all seem to want to be 40points ahead before we relax.

We also (as supporters) don't know how to win a league or what it looks like to be in control of winning one (the older ones will but may have forgotten and certainly not the Premier League). By that I mean the facts show we've lost 1 game in a year and a half of footy which is title winning form but until we win it nobody will believe it or relax into it.

Also we probably feel bigger games are to come later in the season.

If this does turn out to be a title winning season, it's not like every game has to be Barcelona either. That's what I mean about not knowing how to win a league. To win a league it's often just a lot of normal 3pm kick off and 3 points.

This is probably how we win a league, but we(most of us) just don't know it. (But we also do, hence the nerves).

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #11149 on: December 1, 2019, 02:11:13 pm »

To answer your question there's a few reasons for me. We're so desperate for the title, and knowing that we only lost once last year and didn't win means every game seems to be one we can't make a mistake in. We also all seem to think we're not playing as well as we could and should. We all seem to want to be 40points ahead before we relax.

We also (as supporters) don't know how to win a league or what it looks like to be in control of winning one (the older ones will but may have forgotten and certainly not the Premier League). By that I mean the facts show we've lost 1 game in a year and a half of footy which is title winning form but until we win it nobody will believe it or relax into it.

If this does turn out to be a title winning season, it's not like every game has to be Barcelona either. That's what I mean about not knowing how to win a league. To win a league it's often just a lot of normal 3pm kick off and 3 points.

This is probably how we win a league, but we(most of us) just don't know it. (But we also do, hence the nerves).

Good post. I know when I used to go these cold games were hard going, used to make move around all the time. You make some interesting points about how you go about winning a league, I know for some they've never seen that. I remember some of the title winning teams and for sure most of the time its about just getting the job done as efficiently as possible. I also agree about how high the standard is now, it feels as if you cannot make a mistake. You really feel as if this is something we have to make happen and then hopefully people will learn to relax and enjoy it a bit more.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #11150 on: December 1, 2019, 02:41:36 pm »
I was sat next to them!

They had exuberance of youth and finished most songs ahead of the kop

Good effort though
Hope they’re there again on Wednesday night as I’m in that row for Everton. Should imagine the atmosphere will be up a notch for that.

"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #11151 on: December 1, 2019, 02:43:28 pm »
It's a little worrying that the atmosphere has been a bit disappointing in two games running. This is a question for those who are going, are people maybe getting complacent with the points total so are maybe relaxing a bit more? I know the team are not firing on all cylinders at the moment, but against Napoli in particular Klopp was keen for an atmosphere. It would be interesting to know people's frame of minds over this. The thing is over the next month the team will show tiredness from time to time so will need the crowd to get them over the line sometimes.
It's definitely more nervous tension than complacency I'd say. Everyone just wants this too much. Plus it was fucking freezing! ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline scouser102002

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11152 on: December 1, 2019, 03:13:16 pm »
Was 3 seats away from the Brighton fans in Anny Road, so that was fun.

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #11153 on: December 1, 2019, 07:38:02 pm »
Noise from 50% of the Kop and then 40k doing nothing. Was in Upper main for Napoli and its horrendous up there.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #11154 on: December 1, 2019, 08:34:41 pm »
Sat in hospitality yesterday. That was very odd. Half the folk in there aren't fans, a few are scouts. Girl sat in front of me showing her partner pics of some toddler. Made me queasy seeing as how tough it is to get tickets.

Offline Flyhalf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11155 on: December 1, 2019, 09:14:37 pm »

I always sit in the Annie Road Lower and in fairness it’s not been  too bad. Yesterday  was particularly poor though. There seemed to be a lot more foreign supporters than usual and I was up and down like a bloody yo-yo all game while people were in and out of their seats. At half time I noticed a queue down the stairs that hardly moved and there were still people waiting when the teams came out for the second half but there they stayed ! Then loads leaving on 85 minutes with the game in the balance which I can’t get my head around. And then I see guys on here still desperately trying to bag  a ticket on the morning of the game so doesn’t half piss me off when I’m at the match seeing people who clearly don’t give a monkeys. Bloody annoying ☹️

Offline scouser102002

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11156 on: December 1, 2019, 10:56:55 pm »
Yeah I’ve noticed what seems like an increase of foreingers this season. Pretty much every one around me were non-english yesterday. They dont exactly create an atmosphere

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11157 on: December 1, 2019, 11:24:51 pm »
Kop was fantastic on Wednesday but some decrepit auld fart behind me constantly shouting ‘dozy twat/c*nt’ at Henderson and shouting abuse at our players.

An absolute fud. Couldn’t give a shit how long he’s been supporting the club, if he can’t back the players he ought to fuck off from Anfield for good.

These curmudgeonly fuckers ruin the game more than anyone.

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11158 on: December 2, 2019, 07:11:37 am »
I came very close to shoving the bloke next to me camera phone up his arsehole on Saturday. Turns up 20 minutes in, proceeds to spend 5 minutes taking snaps of his surroundings and sending them to people then phone in front of his face recording everything.
I sit close to the Liverpool dug out and we are plagued by people with smartphones pre match in our seats trying to get pictures.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11159 on: December 2, 2019, 09:08:15 am »

Good post. Brighton was a game we were expected to win and were cruising until Alisson was sent off.

I always thing that fans of 'smaller' clubs must think the whole Anfield atmosphere thing is overblown. 'Where's your famous atmosphere..." rings out from the Anny Road as Anfield sits on its collective hands and we cruise to another routine victory over a team in the bottom half.

If we continue on this trajectory under Klopp I'd expect quite a few games every season where the atmosphere is a bit flat. The great thing about Anfield at it's best is the direct relationship between the atmosphere and the game. We aren't like the German or Italian ultras who sing and bang drums regardless of what's happening on the pitch.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)