Author Topic: Trent Alexander-Arnold  (Read 1376498 times)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #5400 on: July 13, 2020, 06:32:05 pm »
The difference between Dani Alves and Marcelo vs Trent is that his passing range is more that of a creative midfielder than a full back.  The two Brazilians were great at bombing forward with close control and dribbling, but Trent is a playmaker from the back.

He's completely redefined the position, there isn't another full back like him because players of that ilk get moved to midfield.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Willy Poolman

• Main Stander
  • You'll Never RAWK Alone
« Reply #5401 on: July 14, 2020, 12:19:09 am »
Football fans will always speculate, because it is in their DNA. How many times have you heard statements from a mate like, "We could play Robbo at centre forward, he would score a bagful." Thankfully, Klopp bases his decision making on evidence and experience. He has a plan and know how to execute it for success. Right now, TAA fits into that plan as a full-back, and the young man plays there, making an excellent contribution to a world-class team. We won the league with TAA at right back remember? If Klopp changes the plan, then TAA might end up playing in a different position. Who knows? But Klopp, I suspect, won't change the team structure to move TAA to his 'best' or 'preferred' position, will he? Still, I do think Bobby would make a promising goal keeper ... ;D

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5402 on: July 15, 2020, 12:21:06 pm »
I think we look at his skillset and think, he is doing x amount of damage as an RB just imagine what he would do as a CM.

It just doesn't work like that because it fails to recognise the challenges he would face as a CM in terms of the comparative lack of space he would have to weave his magic.

Offline cheshiremike

• Podcast/Youtube Addict. Sworn enema of CheshireDave
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #5403 on: July 15, 2020, 01:20:38 pm »
Think overall he has been quite poor since the return.

Done what was needed in season though

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5404 on: July 15, 2020, 03:19:44 pm »
Why move him to midfield when he's currently well on his way to become the best right back in the world? some might argue he already is. it's not like we're missing bodies in the middle of the park either.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #5405 on: July 15, 2020, 04:27:38 pm »
The difference between Dani Alves and Marcelo vs Trent is that his passing range is more that of a creative midfielder than a full back.  The two Brazilians were great at bombing forward with close control and dribbling, but Trent is a playmaker from the back.

He's completely redefined the position, there isn't another full back like him because players of that ilk get moved to midfield.

Trent has all the ability in the World. However, part of the reason he's allowed to re-define the right back position is both a combination of his ability but also the way the team sets up to capitalise on that ability. Part of the set up is how the midfield cover for the full backs but also how Salah comes inside to take away the full back to create space for Trent in advanced areas. The combination of clever patterns of play, and how teams will generally find it hard to cover a right back as a major attacking threat, provide space for Trent to play in and be the creative force he is.

Play him in midfield in this system (as a No.eight) and he gets less touches and influences the game less. As a team we become less effective because anyone you play at right back won't exploit the space and time that Trent does because they won't be as talented as him on the ball.

Anyone suggesting that we play Trent in midfield is essence advocating a shift in the system and patterns of play that we have got success with over the last few years. If you think it's a plug and play situation with Trent in midfield and Williams at right back then in my opinion you are missing a lot of the tactical nuances in our system and you are probably wedded to the conventional idea that good teams have to have their best players and driving force in central midfield. This team and Klopp have shown this idea to not be true (though you need brilliant players in midfield but doing tactically astute work and covering space).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 04:29:53 pm by Jookie »
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5406 on: July 15, 2020, 04:48:25 pm »
trent in midfield just might be an evolution for the team though. We have been relying on our fullbacks for the past 2 seasons. Pretty sure sooner or later clubs are wising up to the task. 

or still trent might be good enough to adapt to different patterns if other teams try to stifle us and end his career as a multiple CL and League winning right back.

Online Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5407 on: July 15, 2020, 04:56:20 pm »
Trent in midfield and Alison to replace him as right back. Both are too good for their positions so that would make sense.

Trent has more goals and assists than most forwards in the league, so why we don't we just let him carry on doing that
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5408 on: July 15, 2020, 05:08:41 pm »
trent in midfield just might be an evolution for the team though. We have been relying on our fullbacks for the past 2 seasons. Pretty sure sooner or later clubs are wising up to the task. 

Maybe.

However, we've played this way for 3 seasons and very few teams have figured us out and stopped us. I actually do think teams have plans to stop us but the quality and consistency of our team probably make it difficult to stop. We come out you from so many angles that most teams don't have the quality to stop the threat go our front 3 and the 2 full backs. Even if they do then that'll leave space for our midfield to exploit.

If this team, or certain individuals, begin to drop off then TAA in midfield might be part of the evolution. I just don't see it any time soon though. You'd need an absolute belter of a right back (which may or may not be Williams) to come in to compensate for the drop off of moving Trent though

Offline kevinbrodie

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5409 on: July 15, 2020, 05:17:52 pm »
I need some help. Getting ready for the peacock game today. I'm just trying to watch for free today and sign up later. I think at this moment Premier League LIve is on. Does anyone know where I find it on the app? is under channels? sports?  I feel old
Rafa is my Shankly

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5410 on: July 15, 2020, 05:19:18 pm »
Play him in midfield in this system (as a No.eight) and he gets less touches and influences the game less. As a team we become less effective because anyone you play at right back won't exploit the space and time that Trent does because they won't be as talented as him on the ball.

I'm not sure about that, he has a similar skill set to De Bruyne, and he gets a lot of time on the ball.  I agree that the only real need to move Trent would be if the way we play completely changes, currently he's best positioned at right back.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5411 on: July 15, 2020, 05:27:06 pm »
I'm not sure about that, he has a similar skill set to De Bruyne, and he gets a lot of time on the ball.  I agree that the only real need to move Trent would be if the way we play completely changes, currently he's best positioned at right back.

City play with 2 playmakers in central midfield. We don't and ask our 8's to play in a completely different way to City

That's the fundamental difference for me. Trent in City's advanced midfield role makes more sense than playing in ours currently. Right back in our current system makes the most sense at the moment though in my opinion.

Like yo said that may change as the team and system evolves.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5412 on: July 20, 2020, 05:07:01 pm »
If opposition sides manage to get better at closing down the space that he and Robbo tend to enjoy, that might be something that could lead to him moving into another role, realistically it is a good difficulty for the manager to have that some players are just so good that they'd make the first 11 in multiple positions.

Interesting to see that he hasn't opted to change numbers this summer with the #2 being freed up with Clyne leaving, has he done any kind of branding with his initials and 66 as you'd think with the right typography you could readily make 66 look like AA.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #5413 on: July 20, 2020, 11:37:40 pm »
I say move him to midfield.

He will have one bad game where all our fans will castigate him and shout at Klopp for not know what he is doing.

Then return him to right back so everyone can forever shut the fuck up.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #5414 on: July 21, 2020, 02:50:27 am »

If this team, or certain individuals, begin to drop off then TAA in midfield might be part of the evolution. I just don't see it any time soon though. You'd need an absolute belter of a right back (which may or may not be Williams) to come in to compensate for the drop off of moving Trent though

Why would there be a drop off if Trent is still on the pitch doing what he normally does? All the other RB would have to do is shore up the defence and support the attack within his own capabilities. Trent would then be free to strategize attacking options and shoot on goal a bit more. He's got a decent left foot too, and he already moves all over the pitch.

I don't understand the tendency amongst fans and pundits to be so entrenched about "Trent-at-RB for the next 5 years" or "move-him-to-midfield ASAP," when it's clear he can play a number of positions. All I was trying to say is that his versatility could be useful at different stages of a season or in different competitions.

You can see that Klopp and Pep are switching things up from time to time because defences have started to double up on Trent and Robbo. So I wouldn't be surprised if, as soon as next season, we see more of Trent slotted into the middle or on the left (if Robbo needs rest) while Neco plays RB... Nothing has to be a permanent switch or set in stone; it is just about having options and being unpredictable when we need to be.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #5415 on: July 21, 2020, 04:53:47 am »
And it'll still come up by LFC fans or pundits every while and so.

My understanding is a bit like when Pep tried putting Lahm in midfield: you can do it, sure, but you lose one of the best in the world at his original position. The space Trent gets as a RB/almost RWB is always gonna be way bigger than at midfield, and his whipped crosses would suffer from it. Beckham put in lots of crosses, but, if I remember correctly, at the very end of a very classic 4-4-2, which no one plays these days.

Neco seems quite good, but there's no reason why the two can't be rotated there. Real Madrid has won lots the past years having Carvajal as a main, with Nacho, academy graduate, covering when needed. Nacho, at least, doesn't need to be a full blown starter, and that's a thing with big teams that win lots of things (which is where we finally are, again): not every talent has to be a starter, as long as they understand they're playing consistently for big trophies.

I think the heatmaps of Beckham et al would be almost an exact copy of Trents.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5416 on: July 21, 2020, 06:07:16 pm »

I think the heatmaps of Beckham et al would be almost an exact copy of Trents.

Nah, Trent would never limit himself that much.  ;D

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #5417 on: July 21, 2020, 06:18:37 pm »
If we get someone as good as Trent at right-back, sure move him. Until then, leave him where he is.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #5418 on: July 22, 2020, 08:56:07 pm »
Oh Yes!!!  8)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #5419 on: July 22, 2020, 08:58:14 pm »
I've always said he's a talent on free kicks
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #5420 on: July 22, 2020, 08:59:34 pm »
I've always said he's a talent on free kicks
:wellin
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5421 on: July 22, 2020, 09:33:03 pm »
holy shit what a cross :D you just have to smile...

what a player........ :D

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5422 on: July 22, 2020, 10:12:09 pm »
Broke his own record for assists for a defender tonight right?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5423 on: July 22, 2020, 10:14:34 pm »
Broke his own record for assists for a defender tonight right?

Yep. He's brilliant!

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5424 on: July 22, 2020, 10:15:57 pm »
holy shit what a cross :D you just have to smile...

what a player........ :D

aye - what an outstanding season

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #5425 on: July 22, 2020, 10:17:29 pm »
He's playing a different sport. Honestly, he's fucking outrageous and not only that, he makes it look so easy.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5426 on: July 22, 2020, 10:18:06 pm »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5427 on: July 22, 2020, 10:18:30 pm »

He’s ridiculous, that cross was unreal

Offline Nogg3000

• Main Stander
  • Come get some!
« Reply #5428 on: July 22, 2020, 10:20:06 pm »
What a talent. Bit of a one off. Let’s just enjoy this lad even if he
moves to CB.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5429 on: July 22, 2020, 10:23:07 pm »
Exquisite.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #5430 on: July 22, 2020, 10:26:15 pm »
I think his assist for Bobby trumps his goal, which was fantastic in itself.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5431 on: July 22, 2020, 11:11:40 pm »
His cross was like something off FIFA.

We have lots of players who are just about the best in the world in their position.

But Trent?  I don’t think there’s any one arguing he isn’t the best right back on the planet.

He’s 21.

Crazy.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5432 on: July 22, 2020, 11:13:13 pm »
What a player, he is living all our dreams at the age of 21

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5433 on: July 22, 2020, 11:16:11 pm »

We have lots of players who are just about the best in the world in their position.

But Trent?  I don’t think there’s any one arguing he isn’t the best right back on the planet.

He’s 21.

Crazy.

Can't overstate the quality of that cross. It's the sort of cross/pass hybrid that Beckham made his career from.
This guy can only improve defensively and from a goal scoring perspective. We haven't seen the best yet.

Offline richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5434 on: July 22, 2020, 11:35:03 pm »

He’s 21.

Crazy.

It has been said before but it certainly bears repetition...... We are watching a player completely redefine his position on the pitch.

Robbo is the best fullback in the world by any recognisable definition of that role. Trent is just something else again.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5435 on: July 22, 2020, 11:37:59 pm »
He has everything. The engine of Gerrard, the crossing and free kicks of Beckham, the eye for a pass of Xabi. Oh, and he's a full back. Imagine walking into the club and finding this guy in your academy!

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #5436 on: July 22, 2020, 11:39:28 pm »
It's mad that he's by a distance our best ever right back at age 21. There's absolutely nothing he can't do on the pitch.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5437 on: July 22, 2020, 11:39:52 pm »

He’s 21.

Crazy.
Imagine him in 5 years. :o
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5438 on: July 22, 2020, 11:45:41 pm »
He's got years of development ahead of him, he's only going to improve further.

Having achieved so much at 21, it's frightening to think about everything else he could accomplish at the club. He is just a world class player.

Offline Dynasty

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5439 on: July 22, 2020, 11:47:47 pm »
He makes Roberto Carlos look average, to be honest.